Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
The Earons, “Land of Hunger”
(1984)
haha, so weird. that doesnt mean i didnt enjoy it.

NSpan
The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon”

i didn't like it as much as some of your other picks by them. maybe it was the sound quality, but it just sounded lacking.

Numbersix
Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines”
(1978)
that was amazing, will definitely look more into him.

Geezer
The Who, “Baba O'Riley”

didn't think it was bad. Which is a good thing, because i can't stand anything else i've heard from these guys.

becs
Silverchair, “Ana's Song”

well im pretty sure i can say that i'm not a fan of silverchair. that being said, i think i can see the appeal to you. Considering your whole list they seem very you. If it's any consolation i would rather listen to them than nirvana, who you compared them to.

leestu
Metallica, “One”
(1989) (also Ron Burgundy's #68 and Buscemi's #8)
still only like it when i'm playing it on guitar hero

Buscemi
Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall”
(Part 2 also Geezer's #58 and becs' #35)
still didnt like it, and i turned it off after 5 or so minutes because i was bored. and i already listened to it twice before.

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Street Spirit”

i wouldnt say i felt every emotion out of this song. but definitely despair and it was creepy. I really think I got the creepy from the video though, it was amazingly done. The way they did some things really put you on edge, and that's probably where i got the creepy from.

transformers
The Doors, “Peace Frog”
(also W's #73)
still not a fan.

W
Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”

not really a fan, but i didnt hate it.

englishozzy
Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar”

never heard it before and i didnt like it. there other JEW songs that i like better.

BarcaRulz
AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”

a rocking tune. pretty fun. and what you mean, bagpipes are always cool ;)

Ron Burgundy
Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance”

it was ok, but it didnt really turn me into a fan or inspire me to research them'

Chienfantome
Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”

hah, i was watching the video for about a minute and i kept thinking where is the music. I then realized it was very quiet. maybe it bit to soft for my tastes

Frendo
Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”

i guess it was catchy in a rough sort of way. I still dont think i could ever listen to anything like this for enjoyment though

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

transformers2 wrote:
Frendo: Alice In Chains, “Man in the Box”
Just nearly missed my list. Such a great song and I am very excited that I am hopefully going to see them on September 22nd.
You are in for a treat, my friend. I saw them in Feb., unsure about how it would be with the new singer, and they were outstanding. Very energetic. One of the best shows I've been to in recent years.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- The Earons, “Land of Hunger” (1984)
I should've tried listening to the song once BEFORE watching the video--because now I'll never be able to objectively disassociate the two. Musically, it was kinda catchy--but the production mix was a bit weird. Even the more melodic parts felt a bit buried--so nothing really "stood out" aurally. Is that this particular version (as we all know by now, YouTube rarely has the "definitive" sound quality) or does your own copy sound like that, too? (Actually, after listening again, I think the problem might just be the video editing. When they cut to an astronaut with a guitar, I expect a badass guitar solo damn it... Something more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UjB94LyYY) Anyway, awesome video. I've definitely seen pictures of these guys, but their music was new-to-me.

Numbersix -- Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines” (1978)
Before this countdown, this track was already a major highlight of his discography in my opinion. But you've got me re-evaluting this particular song... and I now consider it one of his absolute best. Great pick, mate.

Geezer -- The Who, “Baba O'Riley”
Awesome track. Have you read up on "The Lifehouse Method"? http://www.davesnowdon.com/project/lifehousemethod

becs -- Silverchair, “Ana's Song”
That chick singing sounded just like a dude! ;) As for the song itself, I kinda dug it. But if this is their absolute pinnacle, I'm content only owning Frogstomp.

undeadmonkey -- Shakira, “Tu”
Didn't turn me into a fan, but her displaying some real talent is certainly a nice relief from the dance/club music I expected.

leestu -- Metallica, “One” (1989)
I think And Justice for All is slightly overrated as a whole--but I have no complaints about this song. A small masterpiece. And there are definitely some hints of the "black album" here, so it's somewhat odd to hear people refer to that later work as such a "dramatic" shift in tone. 1991 definitely saw a band in the throes of transition (and, in my opinion, for the worse), but it wasn't unforeseeable. "One" manages to encapsulate the best of both worlds. In its 7 minute runtime, we hear some great thrash, prog, and even the toned-down hard-rock that they'd later embrace permanently.

silversurfer -- Radiohead, “Street Spirit”
I guess I just don't listen to The Bends enough, but this song has never really stuck out in my mind.

transformers -- The Doors, “Peace Frog”
Awesome song. Agreed that its underrated--even amongst fans.

BarcaRulz -- AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”
Awesome song. I love Bon Scott's vocals--I hate Brian Johnson's. I wonder if any AC/DC-neophytes haven't taken note of the difference before saying they don't like the singer's voice.

Chienfantome -- Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”
Frendo -- Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”

Arg. I'll try to catch up on the rest late tonight.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, what a lot of great songs.

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Frendo – Alice in Chains, “Man in the Box”
leestu/Buscemi – Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Geezer – Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
becs – R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts”

All great songs (again), totally worthy of their frequency and placement. (9)

silversurfer – Smashing Pumpkins, “Today” – HOW has this song not appeared until now ?! This is an awesome song, every fucking time. (8)

Ron Burgundy – Faith No More, “Evidence” – Very cool, and definitely NOT what I was expecting from FNM. Very mellow, laid back, and miles away from “Falling to Pieces” and the like. Almost reminded me of the jazzy style of Level 42 a little bit! (7)

Chienfantome – U2, “With or Without You” – One of the few post-1985 U2 songs I can tolerate, even enjoy. Although I can never hear this song without picturing mad Irish bomber Tommy Lee Jones warbling to this song in Blown Away... (Yes, Chien, even if you don't attach this song to a film, I DO.) ;) (7)

BarcaRulz – Oasis, “Wonderwall” – Another standout. (7)

NSpan – The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes” – Very pleasant. Good choice. (6)

numbersix – The Clash, “London Calling” – Not really into the Clash, but still a classic. (6)

englishozzy – Rise Against, “Ready to Fall”Et tu, ozzy? Just kidding, it was okay. I'm just not a likely candidate for conversion to this band. (6)

transformers – Mastodon, “Iron Tusk” – A little too growly for me, but I really like the guitars. (5)

undeadmonkey – Shakira, “Inevitable” – Wasn't feeling it. (4)

W – Cream, “Crossroads” – Wasn't a fan. (4)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, my dear friends, we have reached the end. The penultimate. The silver medalist. The songs that fell just short of immortality (in this indeterminate timeframe, anyway).

Starting Thursday night, on the next thread, we will reveal one #1 song per day. Surfer will go first, followed in order by NSpan, Ron Burgundy, Barca, transformers, Frendo, englishozzy, leestu, Buscemi, Chien, W, Banks (assuming his promise to get his computer working again by then turns out to be true), becs, six, UDM, Geezer and finally myself (on the 31st).

NSpan, Ron B, Frendo, leestu, Buscemi, UDM and Geezer, I still have not heard from you whether you want me to post whatever stuff you want to post on "your" day, or whether you would prefer to do it yourself.

Banks, Ozzy, Barca, Ron B, Chien, and Frendo -- would you consider, just for posterity, along with your #1 song, a list of the songs that fill out your Top 100, the ones that we DIDN'T get to see because you joined our bandwagon late? Please let me know.

And now, for the final FINAL time in this countdown, you will get everyone's songs at once. And I'm sure that I've said this before, and will probably say it again a multitude of times in the next three weeks, but it has been an honor and a pleasure to coordinate all this for you guys. I have enjoyed it so SO much. I have gotten to know each and every one of you on a personal level, more so than I did before, and despite our differences in tastes, it has been a learning experience that I will not soon forget.

SONG #2

Shrykespeare
Peter Gabriel, “Secret World (Live)”
(originally recorded in 1992, done live in 1994)

This one needs some clarification. I had to put the word “(Live)” in the title just so there is no mistake. This song is SO much better than the original studio version (which appeared on Gabriel's 1992 album Us), it boggles the mind. Not that I dislike the studio version, I don't, but THAT version probably wouldn't even make it into my Top 500. Compared to the live version, it's very sedate, practically serene. It's probably the largest chasm that exists, in my mind, between a live recording and a studio recording. The live version can be found on Secret World Live, which was recorded in Italy, and it was also made into a DVD. Don't be put off by the length, for I promise the payoff is incredible. Just watch with rapt attention at the master showman that Peter Gabriel is (I can attest to this, having seen him live on two occasions)... suffice it to say, the last three minutes showcase one of the most awesome exits ever done on stage.

I remember posting this video on the old Fantaverse boards, and I also remember Geezer enjoying the performance very much (hopefully that hasn't changed). About the song itself... well, it's just perfection. The drums, the synths, the guitars, all letter-perfect. Peter's vocals, along with backup from Paula Cole (yes, THAT Paula Cole), top-notch. His band is so amazing, so together, so ONE, it makes me wish I was part of it. But the reason this is my #2 song of all time is because of the segment that starts at 6:04. After a very quiet interlude, the music builds and builds, finally exploding into a thunderstorm of awesome instrumentation. It's my favorite eighty seconds of music ever recorded... I swear, I can almost hear God Himself speaking to me when I hear it. So enjoy.

NSpan
The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
(also W's #11)

So, depending on the day of the week, my absolute favorite Beatles song varies between two versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"--the version on the White album and the demo from Anthology 3. For this countdown, I ultimately chose the latter. It's just George and his guitar – no Beatles, no Clapton, no overdubs. I've noticed that, now we've hit our Top Three, a lot of people are focusing on emotional connections to their favorite music. Well, I can't think of a song that literally brings me to tears... but if there's *anything* that comes close to getting me a little bit misty-eyed, it'd be this. As I've mentioned, George was the soul of the Beatles – and, in terms of emotive songwriting, I think he hits this one out of the park. (For comparison, here is a link to the official studio version with the rest of the Beatles and Clapton's legendary solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RYvO2X0Oo)

Numbersix
Joy Division, “Transmission”
(1979)

Joy Division always said this is the song that made the band who they were. Starting off as a typical punk band, when they wrote this song and played it live, they noticed the audience stopped moshing and pogo-ing, and just stood there. Why? Because they stopped to listen to the song. It wasn’t about jumping around anymore; it was a deeper form of expression. And that’s what’s great about Joy Division: they took the fury of punk music but blended it with powerful lyrics from a man who needed music as a form of expression. Each member of the band plays (or sings) like they’re the front man: the pounding, machine-like drums, the simple but thumping bass, the distinct guitars, and of course, Curtis’s flawed but desperate vocals. Plus there’s the sonics (thanks to “fifth” member, producer Martin Hannett) that elevates the song beyond typical punk rock. And how appropriate that my second favourite song of all time is partly about the healing power of music itself?

Geezer
Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure”
(also leestu's #17)

I've been back and forth between this song and my number one for the top spot over the duration of the countdown, and the other wins out on personal attachment over the complete sound mastery of the combination of Queen and David Bowie. Amazing bass line, even better vocals. Its been picked once before, and here it is again. Like I said, just a complete mastery of sound. I get lost in Bowie's words. Just simply fantastic.

becs
Radiohead, “Karma Police”
(also Ron Burgundy's #38)

I've mentioned it before a couple of times, separate from this musical game, that this is my absolute favorite music video of all time so this should come as no surprise to anyone (really my top 5 should have been utterly predictable to all by now). This one used to come on in the days of sneaking MTV in my early teens and it just grabbed hold of me every time, I would sit in front of the tv entranced. I think I like the video so much because it mirrors the song in how it is so utterly simple, but full of intensity.

Yet another song that shaped the person I am musically in every way. The deep melancholy of the songs mixture of piano and guitar, and the way the music almost drops out from under him as he is singing when it hits the chorus, then the echoing bridge leading into the screaming guitar at the end... All absolutely stunning from start to finish.

undeadmonkey
Eli Young Band, “So Close Now”

A little Texas country for ya. love the lyrics of this song. If you take them literally then they are pretty simple (and still great). But I think he is talking about more than just leaving a town, it's about leaving a life, leaving a love, making a new life, etc.

leestu
David Bowie, “Space Oddity”
(1969) (also Chienfantome's #36 and becs' #26)

Buscemi
The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever”

Out of the entire Beatles catalogue, this is the song that I will show for it. Occurring after the jump from mop-top teen idols to legends of the psychedelic persuasion (no Across The Universe, The Beatles were not all about the colorful images), this song combines those two periods together into a musical masterpiece. The song may define the Summer of Love (1967) but that doesn't mean you can pigeonhole it into a specific era and group. The song is timeless.

silversurfer
The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks”

Well John Peel stated this is his favourite song ever, and to be honest, I don't see any reason to argue with him. Well, almost, as this comes in at no.2 for me. I don't think John will be turning in his grave over little me though... Can there be a more perfect pop song than this? Probably not, it's a quick, short blast of pure undiluted fun, delivered with such an urgency that it fills me with excitement on every listen. I've actually just listened to the song back to back four times as I'm writing this, and from the pound of the opening drums, to that fantastic riff (which borrows rather heavily from The Misfits' “Some Kinda Hate” (check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjOt2yo12k) and Feargal Sharkey's strained vocals, this is unadulterated joy wrapped up in a 2 minute pop song. You would truly believe that Feargal was the subject of the song, he has that young, adolescent and nervous sound to his voice which works perfectly for the song, and I think that clicked with many young fans (not to mention a few old kids too). "Teenage dreams, so hard to beat". You better believe it.

transformers
Iron Maiden, “The Trooper”

The best guitar riff ever written, in my opinion. Bruce Dickinson has such a perfect voice for this style of music: combine the two and you have one of the finest tunes of all time.

W
Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down”

This was originally going to be a top 25 song, but I found this Kris Kristofferson version which completely blew my mind (except for the part where he tries to joke). I got into it a lot more after that and I've got to say that the lyrics and his weathered voice tell a great story. You'd think he was a Merle Haggard "inmate" type country singer, but he actually studied at Oxford whose education he used to... become a janitor at Columbia. Anyways, if this and "Me and Bobby McGee" doesn't show that he's a great song writer, then I guess there's never been one.

BTW: Look at the guy and tell me he's not Crazy Heart. He should sue!

englishozzy
Green Day, “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)”
(also W's #40)

A few people have criticized me with saying American Idiot is probably Green Day best album, but their greatest song for me is not even on that album. This has already popped up on our countdown once before, but this song has stayed in my heart for a long time and at the moment is my number #1 song i want played at my funeral.

BarcaRulz
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”

I have always loved this song, ever since I first heard it I knew this would be one of my favorites. No matter what you want to believe it is about, all you have to do is sit back and listen to one of the greatest lyrics/vocals/music combo of all time. This song also has a special place to me personally, which is also why I love it so much.

Ron Burgundy
Passion Pit, “Little Secrets”

This just keeps getting better every time I hear it, cant say much more. Apart from that its pretty awesome!

Chienfantome
Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”
(also leestu's #99, numbersix's #25 and undeadmonkey's #6)

I never thought a song could be covered that greatly. My mom was a great fan of Leonard Cohen when I was a kid, and I clearly remember listening to his original version of “Hallelujah”. I don’t remember when or where my ear first caught Buckley’s cover. I remember thinking “wait a minute, I know that song… wait a minute, is that Cohen’s "Hallelujah"?!”. I remember Buckley was already gone. I remember discovering his work bit by bit and feeling spleener and spleener as I found what I listened to was so amazing. I’m listening to it again right now. What a song. What an album Grace is. Lilac Wine could also be in my Top 10, easily. The song is being played too much everywhere, used too much in films, series and whatever. There has probably been too many covers. But it remains a magnificent song.

Frendo
Nirvana, “Pennyroyal Tea”

“Which song to choose? Which song to choose?” has been the refrain while I make this list. So many greats... I picked this one because the lyrics and melody are spot on, and it has not yet been overplayed to my ears. Also, epitomizes the quiet/loud/quiet structure well.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Okay, it's Song #2 so I really should go easy on everyone, as this is our very last large collection of songs on a single day (sniff). It'll definitely leave a hole in my daily routine. I was literally excited to get up early in the morning and check out everyone's picks and hopefully find something new to explore.

Shrykespeare: Peter Gabriel, “Secret World (Live)” - Right, well I'm not a huge fan of Gabriel, but he does have a very smooth voice. And this performance wasn't bad at all. It had a nice synth balanced against the rhythm section and for the most part I enjoyed it. I did drift a little out of it, especially in the last few minutes, although that's of course due to this being the last song of a gig. I watched the latter part of the video and those kind of theatrics aren't my thing normally (do I do love the Stop Making Sense show), but overall a decent song. I've no idea what your #1 will be but I doubt it's going to be outside the 80's or early 90's ;)

NSpan: The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (also W's #11) - I was confused when you expressed your hatred for the song when W posted it, as it sounded like a NSpan song. You trickster, you. So yeah, I think I prfer this version better. It's a solemn, lonely song, so a version with just vocals, guitar, and organ feel better to me. Amazing song an an amazing version. By the way, loved that Whitman poem you quoted.

Geezer: Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure” (also leestu's #17) - The meeting of two music giants can usually lead to bland, but this seemed to combine their talents into one soaring song. Love that Bowie bit.

becs: Radiohead, “Karma Police” (also Ron Burgundy's #38) - Surprised to see this in a Top 10. I guess the acostic guitar makes it easier to enjoy than some of their more challenging stuff, so that makes sense. I love pretty much everything off OK Computer and for a long time this was my favourite song. Great vocals, great music. These days the lyrics are a tad throwaway to me, but that's a very minor quibble in what is a top-notch song.

undeadmonkey: Eli Young Band, “So Close Now” - You Texas county-pop, my friend ;) I can hear this being played out to the credits of some Miley Cyrus-starring teen movie that gets shown before the news on Sunday afternoons.

leestu: David Bowie, “Space Oddity” (1969) (also Chienfantome's #36 and becs' #26) - Great, great song. No wonder it made Bowie a star.

Buscemi: The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever” - This is certainly one of my favourite songs by The Beatles, and almost made my Top 100. The Beatles could either write great, simple song, or big, mad songs that were all about the production. This fits more into the latter, but it's the best example of how they could experiment to create a great song out of all these effects and ideas. The recording studio was never the same after this.

silversurfer: The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks” - RIP John Peel. That guy nurtured so many great bands into fame. This song is understandably huge over here. It's the best pop-punk tune I can think of, and it always sounds fresh when I hear it. Great track!

transformers: Iron Maiden, “The Trooper” - I'm no Iron Maiden fan, but this was pretty good for an Iron Maiden song.

W: Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down” - Really, really nice song. Very lonesome. I wouldnt be surprised if the makers of Crazy Heart sought permission from Kristofferson first. And if that's true, he's a real gent for granting it.

englishozzy: Green Day, “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” (also W's #40) - I thought we'd see this more across the Top 100. It was so huge back in the day. It never grabbed me. I can see why people like it, but it just seems a tad too much for me.

BarcaRulz: Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” - A strage #2 for you, Barca, but it's a very catchy song.

Ron Burgundy: Passion Pit, “Little Secrets” - These guys never made much of an impression on me. They're starting to get big over here. It's a very upbeat song, and kinda catchy.

Chienfantome: Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah” (also leestu's #99, numbersix's #25 and undeadmonkey's #6) - And I was just saying we didn't share any songs in our Top 100 (or Top 30 in your case). But how could The King of Spleen NOT pick this song? Great, great perfomance by Buckley, and a beautiful, tender song. My favourite line (and I should commend Buckley for taking some of the best lines from Cohen's alternate lyrics of his original) is : "Maybe there's a God above/ But all I've ever seemed to learn from love/ Is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you". Amazing line, and perfectl delivered.

Frendo: Nirvana, “Pennyroyal Tea” - I like this song because it's a great balance between the heavier and lighter sides of Nirvana. Good stuff!

Well, guys, it's been great doing this with ya. It's been a blast discovering new music, and not to mention taking the time to listen to things I'd normally dislike automatically. Not to mention the inevitable debates over genres, songs, and singers. Can't wait to hear what your Number 1 songs will be.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Peter Gabriel, “Secret World (Live)”
Really loved the video and the song wasnt bad either. The sort of epic song you kinda expect from shows like these. 7/10
NSpan - The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
Im not gonna be too hard on this song as i understand it is your #2 pick, just not a song i liked. 4/10
Numbersix - Joy Division, “Transmission”
Have heard this song a few times over the years, never knew it was from this band though. Quite liked it. 7/10
Geezer - Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure”
It's one of my girlfriends favourite songs and i have listened to it so many times now i have lost count. Still dont mind listening to it though. 7/10
becs - Radiohead, “Karma Police”
A song that is still playing on my ipod which is quite an achievement as i swap around songs so many times. 8/10
undeadmonkey - Eli Young Band, “So Close Now”
Im trying not to be too discrimitive as i normally automatically shut off when these type of songs come on. Seems like a fuse between pop and country, it was OK just not really my thing. 4/10
leestu - David Bowie, “Space Oddity”
A comletely different comparison to 'Under Pressure', dont really like this song and never have. 4/10
Buscemi - The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever”
Never heard this song before, couldnt really get into it though unfortunately. 4/10
silversurfer - The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks”
Haven't heard the orginal of this song for a long time. Thank you for playing it for me. 9/10
transformers - Iron Maiden, “The Trooper”
Classic Iron Maiden, easily my favourite song from theirs. 9/10
W - Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down”
A lot slower than most country songs that i have listened to, i quite like Johnny Cash and i didnt mind listening to this one. 6/10
BarcaRulz - Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
No doubt a classic song, never really been able to fully enjoy it though. 6/10
Ron Burgundy - Passion Pit, “Little Secrets”
It was OK when i first listened to it on the radio, but got pretty old pretty quickly. 4/10
Chienfantome - Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”
Obviously a popular choice and as i have said in previous posts, this is my favourite version. 8/10
Frendo - Nirvana, “Pennyroyal Tea”
A nice pick you have there, a song that doesn't get played enough in my opinion. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

leestu/Buscemi: Queen, Bohemien RhapsodyI wouldn't be surprised to see this as a number of number 1's so as a couple of no.3s I'm definitely not surprised. It is a great track, doesn't matter how many times you listen to it (I listened to it again despite having listened to it a number of times already on this countdown alone, not to mention how overplayed it is. And six, you managed 90 minutes before getting car sick? I was guaranteed of getting when any journey lasted 45 minutes, and once got it about 2 minutes after leaving the house as I decided to read a comic on our journey (never read when in a car, you need an horizon to focus on).

Shrykespeare: Lush, “Sweetness and Light” (1990) - This was very nice, and better than your last Lush song. I don't know if you know of them, but a band they could possibly be compared to out today are Blonde Redhead. You may want to check out this song, I think it contains all the elements of a song you like (though the singer is neither Irish or English, in fact she is Japanese, with the two other members of the band Italian. Their album, 23, is brilliant. Let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FqUNlEdwA

NSpan: The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes” - Still don't own The Velvet Underground record. I have White Light/ White Heat and Nico, and both of those are awesome, and like the last time this was played, a totally beautiful experience, and a great companion to Shryke's pick too.

Numbersix: The Clash, “London Calling” (1979) - Absolutely brilliant song, I think your analogy of the song is spot on. Is it their best though?

Geezer: Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - No surprise again to see this show up in your top 3, though I wonder if the reason it hasn't appeared as often as Lithium is basically that it is a little too obvious a choice? I don't know, it seems like the iconic Nirvana song and maybe its a little too overplayed and has lost some of its gloss because of it. So lesser known (and possibly just lesser) tracks are more highly regarded? Nevertheless, brilliant song once again.

becs: R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts” - Once again delightful.

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Inevitable” - We still have more to come? Yikes. And I think I preferred her when she wasn't trying to be something she obviously is not. And that is a rock star. Stick to the pop.

transformers: Mastodon, “Iron Tusk” - A couple of decent riffs, but as with some country picks, it's just too far out of my hemisphere to care, really.

W: Cream, “Crossroads” - Awesome, finally one of my top 2 Cream tracks is played. This, along with Toad are just brilliant pieces of blues rock.

englishozzy: Rise Against, “Ready to Fall” - I think it's pretty telling in your comments that this is a song that within a year won't even be in your top ten. If a song relies so much on "new song gloss", then it won't last as a favourite very long. I guess you could read this countdown as being your favourite tracks right now, but for me it was taking everything I have ever listened to and assigned an order to just how great a song is, and for that to hold true, I think it needs to stand the test of time. "New song gloss" songs which rely on that freshness don't generally last very long. Anyway onto the song, it's definitely one of the catchier songs from the band, but I think, having heard a lot of the band now on this countdown and having picked up The Sufferer And Witness, that Prayer For The Refugee is still my favourite.

BarcaRulz: Oasis, “Wonderwall” - Kinda surprised this has gotten so much love, and interesting that the vast majority of that love comes from Aussies and not Brits (well, I guess englishozzy is a Brit, but y'know what I mean)! It's always been ok, Oasis' trademark, but their best song? Not a chance in hell.

Ron Burgundy: Faith No More, “Evidence” - Wasn't really expecting to hear this one on the countdown, and though not one of my favourite songs of theirs, it definitely explores new ground and allowed Patton to prove he could croon with the best of them. It's absolutely great live too, good pick.

Chienfantome: U2, “With or Without You” - Brilliant song, just recently been listening to The Joshua Tree, and the opening three tracks of that are mindblowing. Definitely a song I expected to appear on here more, and maybe without the back lash they have received over the last few years it would have, but nevertheless, great track full of melancholy.

Frendo: Alice In Chains, “Man in the Box” - I have been introduced to Alice In Chains during this countdown, but I still prefer tranny's pick from all the way back at the beginning of the countdown. This has very much a sound which was around at the time with the powerful vocals and grungey guitars. Good song, just not as good as Rooster.

Wow, a lot of classics this round, which I guess is now to be expected. Enjoyed listening once again.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

silversurfer19 wrote: undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Inevitable” - We still have more to come? Yikes. And I think I preferred her when she wasn't trying to be something she obviously is not. And that is a rock star. Stick to the pop.
I thought i had explained it but i guess i didnt. She isn't trying to be a 'rockstar'. This song is what her first two albums almost completely consisted of. The '2007' in the video is just one of the videos that i could find where they quality was to my liking. This music is what made her famous in the first place, she only turned to pop later.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- Peter Gabriel, “Secret World (Live)”
Looks like one helluva concert experience. I normal despise stadium-sized concerts--but it looks like Gabriel is trying to make it worth it here. I'm not normally a fan--but this music was good. It reminded me of Division Bell-era Floyd (which, on paper, I SHOULD hate... but I'll admit that I have a soft-spot for it). And I would've known exactly what "segment" of music that you pointed out even if you didn't identify the specific timing of it.

Geezer -- Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure”
A mitigated-masterpiece. I don't think I'll ever heal from the damage done by Vanilla Ice... but, if I were capable of hearing it fresh, this would be one of my favorites. Does anyone know how many vocal tracks were recorded for this? I know it's only Mercury and Bowie singing--but there are a few instances where there are clearly more than two voices. The Beatles often created choirs of their own voices using overdubs ("Because" features a total of nine sets of vocal tracks, even though only three people sang). I guess the reason I'm wondering is to see if this song could be performed live with the same impact--or if this is a studio-only phenomenon--like "A Day in the Life."

becs -- Radiohead, “Karma Police”
I may be contradicting a previously-made statement, but I believe this is my favorite Radiohead song. Musically, there are probably a few others on par. But I love the theme/setting expressed here. It's lyrically vague, but it gives me the sense of some hopeless dystopian future... which makes the vocal melody all the more emotive. Awesome pick!!

undeadmonkey -- Eli Young Band, “So Close Now”
Dunno if this singular track qualifies as "country"--but it was a nice song, either way.

leestu -- David Bowie, “Space Oddity” (1969)
Early Bowie at his best. Love the breakdown on this.

Buscemi -- The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever”
Arguably a tad-overproduced... but, personally, I don't think the production ever truly gets in the way of the songwriting. Great choice.

silversurfer -- The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks”
I'm torn. On one hand, I'm kinda blown away by the fact that I can't find a single fault--it is a great example of how one might go about perfecting the two-minute pop-song. But, on the other hand, it felt completely disposable. No weight or depth to it at all. And maybe that's sorta the point... but I don't think it'd ever make my own list. That said, keep in mind that there have been several (self-admitted) "throwaways" on my Top 100. But, to my ears, those throwaways are so melodically special that I can't deny their magnificence despite being clearly lighter-fare than some of my other picks. I just don't know if this song was so intensely perfect performance-wise that I can consider it a fair-trade in terms of disposability........................but, hell, the song is ABOUT disposability. The fact that it's even called "Teenage Kicks" proves that its pretty self-aware... So, shit. Maybe it IS the perfect pop song.

transformers -- Iron Maiden, “The Trooper”
Stone-cold classic. I'm not the biggest Maiden fan, but they have a few gems (like this) that make them hard to ignore.

W -- Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down”
Brilliant. Kristofferson is vastly underrated relative to the acclaim that his "outlaw" peers receive.

englishozzy -- Green Day, “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)”
Emotionally, this song doesn't click with me AT ALL. But, I'll admit, my problem with it is based on context and preconceived notions regarding the band. If I could honestly listen to it objectively for what it is, I'd probably admit that it's very memorable melodically.

BarcaRulz -- Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
Beautiful song. This used to be one of my favorite CCR songs--and, listening to it now, I don't see why it ever slipped out of favor. It's not that I ever came to dislike it... but I've neglected it. Thanks for reminding me of how great it is.

Ron Burgundy -- Passion Pit, “Little Secrets”
Really, really FUN. I don't have much interest in adding it to my collection, but--that said--I listened to it FOUR times.

Chienfantome -- Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”
This song is just so good that it's hard to say that there's a single "definitive" version. It's cleaner and neater to be able to label a definitive take, but that just isn't the case here. The three most well-known versions all deserve their own acclaim.

Frendo -- Nirvana, “Pennyroyal Tea”
Interesting choice. I never remember how much I like this song until I'm actually listening to it.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Peter Gabriel, “Secret World (Live)” - Wow, was that over 10 minutes long? It honestly didn't feel like it, it flew over. I enjoyed that quite a bit, nice beat to it and Gabriel's vocals were very pleasant too. I'm intrigued to know if you are a fan of Genesis at all, what with the Gabriel link and their sound. I was surprised not to have seen any on your countdown.

NSpan: The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” - That was very nice. A little different to the Beatles version, and not sure yet if I prefer this over the original, but it had a nice pace to it.

Numbersix: Joy Division, “Transmission” (1979) - I knew this song would be coming up from you, but honestly thought it would be your no.1. Hmm, now I have to think what it could possibly be. I'd guess now at The Velvet Underground. Anyway, brilliant song, definitely one of my favourites and actually my introduction to the band (as opposed to Love Will Tear Us Apart which seems to be most others introduction to Joy Division). I love the segment where he sing "Dance to the radio", really just amps the song up that little bit more and with that image of Ian dancing to it, you are transported.

Geezer: Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure” (also leestu's #17) - Once again one of the greatest duets of all time. I think Bowie really elevates this song beyond just a good song, always a pleasure.

becs: Radiohead, “Karma Police” The first time I heard this, I wasn't sure it was one of my favourites on OK Computer, but over time it grew and grew on me, it's such an agressive, angry song, and it really works as a focal point for the whole record. Stunning from start to finish, with a kick ass video to boot.

undeadmonkey: Eli Young Band, “So Close Now” - You obviously really couldn't wait to leave your home town could you? I think that has been a pretty stable theme running through your entire countdown. It seems country-pop artists like singing about this theme a lot, is there a reason behind this? Is that area of the US somewhere you really don't wanna be, especially as a musician? Anyway, not a song I could ever like, hum-drum unemotional pop with a country twang. And like six said, I can see this attached to some tweeny bopper soundtrack.

leestu: David Bowie, “Space Oddity” (1969) - Still brilliant and one of my absolute favourites.

Buscemi: The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever” - To be honest this isn't a song I hear very often and I'm not sure why, production wise it is certainly one of the bands strongest, and hints at the direction Syd Barrett would steer Pink Floyd into. I guess in the end it just isn't poppy enough, but as a piece of music it is very strong.

transformers: Iron Maiden, “The Trooper” - Wow, that was kick ass, not something I expected to hear (though to be honest most of my knowledge beyond the iconic Maiden songs have been heard on here). Sounded like the soundtrack to some 80s sci fi/ action movie, but in a good way.

W: Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down” - I seem to be appreciating the slower country songs more than anything else from that genre, it just seems to fit better than a lot of the more upbeat numbers, and this was no exception. A nice laid back feel to it and was very pleasant.

englishozzy: Green Day, “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” - Still not a Green Day song I really ever liked, just sounds like the band aiming for a different audience in order to bring in the cash. If I try to separate the band from the song, I guess I can see the appeal, it has a decent string section to it and a nice rhythm, I can see it being a first day at a wedding or a prom. But as a Green Day song, it's a sell out.

BarcaRulz: Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” - Wow, that came out of nowhere, wasn't expecting this from you at all. Much more like a Geez or W pick. Nevertheless, not a bad song, don't think I've really been won over by these guys in the same way I have The Band though.

Ron Burgundy: Passion Pit, “Little Secrets” - Your second favourite song of all time? Just sounds a little too 'now' for me to really appreciate, like a lot of other bands such as MGMT, The Naked And The Famous etc. Doesn't really stand out at all and will likely be forgotten within six months.

Chienfantome: Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah” - How many times can I say how awesome this song is? Well as many times as I enjoy listening to it I guess, and 4 times in the countdown is a good enough amount. Not my favourite as you all now know, but I can't argue with how immense this song is.

Frendo: Nirvana, “Pennyroyal Tea” - Was half expecting this song to have appeared on here already, or at least be one of Geezer's picks. Definitely one of my favourties, as you mentioned it has a great quiet/loud/quiet balance which works very effectively here.

Well, another really good round overall, plenty to enjoy, and now it's time for the no.1's. I'm up first (Shryke, am I creating the thread on the day or did you want to do it, and what time am I posting. Basically is it the same time as usual for a Thursday in the US, what with time differences?), so hopefully I can lead us off in a good fashion.

I've noticed this has been my best thread in terms of Shryke's scoring for me, maybe I've finally worn him down, but more likely it's taken 90+ songs for him to finally like some of my stuff...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

undeadmonkey wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote: undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Inevitable” - We still have more to come? Yikes. And I think I preferred her when she wasn't trying to be something she obviously is not. And that is a rock star. Stick to the pop.
I thought i had explained it but i guess i didnt. She isn't trying to be a 'rockstar'. This song is what her first two albums almost completely consisted of. The '2007' in the video is just one of the videos that i could find where they quality was to my liking. This music is what made her famous in the first place, she only turned to pop later.
I got what you meant the first time, I just felt her performance as a rockstar didn't work. She found her true calling as a pop star later on, I guess, but even then I'm not impressed.

And NSpan, regarding The Undertones, I guess it all comes down to your own interpretation of "Favourite Song Of All Time" To me that means songs that I have loved and will continue to love forever, where as maybe your interpretation is closer to "Most important song of all time". I don't feel a song needs to be over ten minutes long to be fully appreciated (as I've noticed with many of your more recent picks), more so it just needs to be a song which really hits a nerve in some way with you, where it just clicks. And a 2 minute pop song has just as much potential as an orchestrated epic to achieve that status, at least for me. It is the perfect pop song, it is faultless, and maybe it is throwaway, but it's also the best throwaway song you'll ever hear. It's as catchy as hell, a great beat to it and it's lyrics are perfect for it tried to achieve. That may not warrant the status of best ever in some books, but to me (and if you look at many of my picks, they could easily be labelled throwaway), it's perfection.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference...and for the last time in this format):

BarcaRulz – Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” – Easily my favorite CCR song. Beautiful lyrics, so full of emotion and pathos. Truly an outstanding pick, Barca. (9)

becs – Radiohead, “Karma Police” – My second-favorite Radiohead song (after “Fake Plastic Trees”). Great choice. (8)

NSpan – The Beatles, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” – Either I'd never heard this version before, or it's been so long that I've forgotten. Whatever this case, it's an awesome version of an awesome song. (8)

Geezer – Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure” – Terrific song. (7)

leestu – David Bowie, “Space Oddity” – Ditto. (7)

Chienfantome – Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah” – Between Jeff and Leonard, that's FIVE times for this song. It's so sad and poignant... but because it was in Shrek, it's hard for me to hear it without thinking about the ogre. (6)

undeadmonkey – Eli Young Band, “So Close Now” – Wow, given its position in the countdown, the title is rather ironic, isn't it? I actually kind of liked this, man. I guess you FINALLY wore me down. Darn you. (6)

numbersix – Joy Division, “Transmission” – Not bad, quite good in fact. But nothing really jumped out at me. Curious choice for a #2 song. Obviously you've gone way deeper into the song that I did. (6)
numbersix wrote:I've no idea what your #1 will be but I doubt it's going to be outside the 80's or early 90's
Everybody, now, all at once.... DUH. :lol: :D

Buscemi – The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever” – Not sure what it is, but something about this song has just never blown my skirt up. I lump it in with a lot of Beatles stuff: good for a listen every now and again, but that's it. (6)

silversurfer – The Undertones, “Teenage Kicks” – This seems like the kind of song that would take numerous listenings to really grow on me. After one attempt, however, it's just okay. (6)

P.S. Regarding your Blonde Redhead song... boy, you weren't kidding. Musically, it's so infuriatingly close to Lush that I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart. Vocally, Kazu Makino (yes, I looked up her name) is fairly close to Miki Berenyi, which is surprising considering how different their ethnicities are. I will definitely be looking further into this band. (And if this is your way of paying me back for introducing you to Talk Talk... well, consider the debt repaid, my friend.)

P.P.S. I am not much of a fan of Genesis WITH Gabriel... it's just a little too “out there” for me to get into, though I have tried on numerous occasions. And as for the Genesis with Phil Collins leading the way, there are actually many songs of theirs that I like very much: “Turn it On”, “Mama”, “Land of Confusion”, “I Can't Dance” (awesome video), “Anything She Does” (totally awesome video guest-starring Benny Hill in one of his final on-screen appearances), and “Jesus He Knows Me”. Unfortunately, none of them QUITE had the oomph, IMO, to make it into my Top 100, which is unfortunate.

Ron Burgundy – Passion Pit, “Little Secrets” – Not sure about this one. It seemed to vacillate between awesome and annoying. Had a very 80's sound to it, though, so I'll give it the slight nod for now. (6)

transformers – Iron Maiden, “The Trooper” – I've liked a lot of your classic metal choices (far more than your more recent metal choices), but I've just never gotten into Iron Maiden much. It was okay. (5)

Frendo – Nirvana, “Pennroyal Tea” – Don't think I've ever heard this one before. Didn't really do anything for me. (5)

W – Kris Kristofferson/Johnny Cash, “Sunday Morning Coming Down” – Having seen Crazy Heart – and while I appreciate Bridges' acting job and totally support his win – I wasn't that blown away by the film. So it goes with this song. (5)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

becs/BarcaRulz
Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
(also W's #23)
I hate Nirvana. Don't take that the wrong way though. Doesn't mean you can't love them, but so far I haven't heard anything by them that is pleasing to my ears and no one can justify why exactly they are good.

Shrykespeare
Johann Strauss II, “The Blue Danube”
(1867)
lol, you hate classical music? this was pretty good. some parts better than others. I'm not sure where I've heard this before, because i haven't seen 2001. but I know i've heard it before.

NSpan
The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
(1966)
awesome song. now that I hear it, I should of guessed this would be your favorite by them. I love the song as well, but if i had to rate just beach boy songs, this would be about 4th or 5th.

Numbersix
Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
(1971)
I can't say that i got much out of it. It still wasn't bad to listen to.

Geezer
The Beatles, “Yesterday”

nice song. Although it never really stood out to me as one of my favorites, it's still great.

leestu
XTC, “Dear God”
(1987)
if you don't believe in God then why are you singing to him.

Buscemi
Louis Armstrong, “What A Wonderful World”

haha, knowing your penchant for Wall-E, i was expecting this song to come on sooner or later. Still a great song though.

silversurfer
Jeff Buckley, “Grace”

it didn't exactly blow me away, but it was decent. Also didn't care for the ending.

transformers
Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir”
(also Shrykespeare's #84)
still kinda interesting. so far, I haven't been turned into a fan. but I guess you could say that I'm becoming curious.

W
Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower”
(also Geezer's #27 and silversurfer's #17)
probably one of the better hendrix songs posted so far. i liked it.

englishozzy
Semisonic, “Closing Time”

never heard of them or the song before. It wasn't awful, but i didn't get anything out of it.

Ron Burgundy
Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby”

I've heard of them before, but never heard them. (I think so anyway.) This songs was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Chienfantome
Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe”

I loved the music at the beginning. It was very emotional, but I could not stand the talk singing. I still think the overall song was decent. But get a great voice in there to sing the lyrics and I'm pretty sure I would love it! and don't worry about other people not liking your french songs. I've loved hearing them even though i didn't like some of them. I think that listening to songs in other languages really lets you focus on the emotion in their voice instead of what they are saying. Also the horns at the end were pretty interesting, it's sad we don't hear it more in music nowadays.

Frendo
Tom Waits, “Downtown Train”

the video started pretty funny. and I was expecting the song and video to follow that tone. but it was more of a love song. Not a bad song overall, but i did like 6's song better.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's a review of this thread.

Shrykespeare
10. George Michael, Freedom '90
9. The Blue Nile, Headlights on the Parade
8. Peter Gabriel, I Have the Touch
7. Talk Talk, Tomorrow Started
6. UB40, Maybe Tomorrow
5. The Earons, Land of Hunger
4. Johann Strauss II, Blue Danube
3. Lush, Sweetness and Light
2. Peter Gabriel, Secret World (Live)

NSpan
10. Don McLean, American Pie
9. The James Gang, Collage
8. Bob Dylan, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
7. Jerry Jeff Walker, London Homesick Blues
6. The Band, When I Paint My Masterpiece
5. The Kinks, Sunny Afternoon
4. The Beach Boys, Wouldn't It Be Nice
3. The Velvet Underground, Pale Blue Eyes
2. The Beatles, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

numbersix
10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Mercy Seat
9. A Silver Mount Zion, 13 Angels Standing Guard 'round the Side of Your Bed
8. Aphex Twin, Windowlicker
7. Sam Cooke, A Change is Gonna Come
6. Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime
5. Tom Waits, Blue Valentines
4. Leonard Cohen, Famous Blue Raincoat
3. The Clash, London Calling
2. Joy Division, Transmission

Geezer
10. Blink-182, Dammit
9. Against Me!, Pints of Guiness Make You Strong
8. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
7. The Offspring, The Kids Aren't Alright
6. Billy Joel, Piano Man
5. The Who, Baba O'Riley
4. The Beatles, Yesterday
3. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. Queen and David Bowie, Under Pressure

becs
10. Radiohead, Creep
9. Smashing Pumpkins, Tonight, Tonight
8. Live, I Alone
7. Queen, Who Wants to Live Forever
6. Depeche Mode, Stripped
5. Silverchair, Ana's Song
4. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. R.E.M., Everybody Hurts
2. Radiohead, Karma Police

undeadmonkey
10. Weezer, Island in the Sun
9. Lee Ann Womack, I Hope You Dance
8. Shakira, Las De La Intuicion
7. Josh Turner, The Longer the Waiting (The Sweeter the Kiss)
6. Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah
5. Shakira, Tu
4. Just Jack, Embers
3. Shakira, Inevitable
2. Eli Young Band, So Close Now

leestu
10. Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia
9. The Smiths, How Soon is Now
8. Lou Reed, Perfect Day
7. John Lennon, Imagine
6. R.E.M., Everybody Hurts
5. Metallica, One
4. XTC, Dear God
3. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
2. David Bowie, Space Oddity

Buscemi
10. Bob Marley, Could You Be Loved?
9. Michael Jackson, Beat It
8. Metallica, One
7. John Lennon, Imagine
6. Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues
5. Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall
4. Louis Armstrong, What a Wonderful World
3. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
2. The Beatles, Strawberry Fields Forever

silversurfer
10. The Smiths, There is a Light That Never Goes Out
9. The Buzzcocks, Ever Fallen In Love With Someone You Shouldn't've
8. The Violent Femmes, Blister in the Sun
7. Pixies, Debaser
6. Joy Division, She's Lost Control
5. Radiohead, Street Spirit
4. Jeff Buckley, Grace
3. The Smashing Pumpkins, Today
2. The Undertones, Teenage Kicks

transformers
10. Between the Buried and Me, Selkies: The Endless Obsession
9. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
8. 2Pac, Changes
7. Jimi Hendrix, Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
6. Metallica, For Whom the Bell Tolls
5. The Doors, Peace Frog
4. Led Zeppelin, Kashmir
3. Mastodon, Iron Tusk
2. Iron Maiden, The Trooper

W
10. The Eagles, Take it Easy
9. The Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter
8. Roger Miller, King of the Road
7. Chuck Berry, Johnny B. Goode
6. Cream, Sunshine of Your Love
5. Dwight Yoakam & Buck Owens, Streets of Bakersfield
4. Jimi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower
3. Cream, Crossroads
2. Kris Kristofferson & Johnny Cash, Sunday Morning Coming Down

englishozzy
10. Guns N' Roses, Sweet Child O'Mine
9. Muse, Time is Running Out
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers, By the Way
7. Snow Patrol, Chocolate
6. Blink-182, All the Small Things
5. Jimmy Eat World, Salt, Sweat, Sugar
4. Semisonic, Closing Time
3. Rise Against, Ready to Fall
2. Green Day, Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

BarcaRulz
10. AC/DC, Highway to Hell
9. Muse, Newborn
8. Smashing Pumpkins, Disarm
7. Oasis, Don't Look Back in Anger
6. Nine Inch Nails, The Hands That Feeds
5. AC/DC, It's a Long Way to the Top
4. Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. Oasis, Wonderwall
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Have You Ever Seen the Rain

Ron Burgundy
10. Digitalism, Pogo
9. Tool, The Pot
8. DJ Shadow & UNKLE, Celestial Annihilation
7. Phoenix, Lisztomania
6. The Strokes, You Only Live Once
5. Children Collide, Skeleton Dance
4. Kaiser Chiefs, Ruby
3. Faith No More, Evidence
2. Passion Pit, Little Secrets

Chienfantome
10. The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army
9. Sigur Ros, Inni Mer Syngur Vitleysung
8. Metric, Dead Disco
7. Radiohead, Exit Music (For a Film)
6. Interpol, Rest My Chemistry
5. Elliott Smith, Between the Bars
4. Benjamin Biolay, La Superbe
3. U2, With or Without You
2. Jeff Buckley, Hallelujah

Frendo
10. Jesus Lizard, Nub
9. Pearl Jam, Alive
8. The Clash, White Man (In Hammersmith Palais)
7. U2, Angel of Harlem
6. ICP, Terrible
5. Stone Temple Pilots, Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
4. Tom Waits, Downtown Train
3. Alice in Chains, Man in the Box
2. Nirvana, Pennroyal Tea