Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: Labels aside, you said it for me. Joy Division is meant to be taken as "serious" music. With that in mind, I consider solid vocals to be an integral part of any good song (instrumental pieces aside, of course). I mean, consider the vocals as just another instrument. If you heard a song that was great--except for the fact that they decided to include an AWFUL accordion player as the centerpiece of the composition... wouldn't you find that one grating aspect of the song so distracting that the rest of the performance becomes tainted due to its inclusion?

As I've said, I like Joy Division's melodies--maybe they should've been an instrumental band.... or hired someone who could sing.
Ah, but going back to the spirit of punk, a lot of those guys couldn't play their instruments that well. Again, it was about the energy more than show-ofy talent. So Curtis's voice fits more in there as opposed to be an accordion (and if you were to make that comparison, remember that post-punk often employed a discordant sax, which added immensely to the song). And if you think punk's poor playing was acceptable because they were all tongue-in-cheek, well I have to disagree there. I don't think punks thought themselves as some sort of joke. I'm sure they took themselves seriously in doing what they were doing, even if it was more upbeat than Joy Division.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: The Earons, “Land of Hunger” (1984) - Really didn't do much for me. Again, it fits nicely into a world of Duran Druan, A-Ha, and the like, and doesn't stand out. I listened to the song and watched the video before reading your description, and I was going to lay into the video. Were other musicians doing the same for their videos? If so I'm glad I was but a child then ;)

NSpan: The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon” - Man, if music choice reflect who you are, you have to be the most laid-back person on the planet. This is a beautiful pop song, and I find the bass to be particularly notable. It's only a shame it was ruined over here by being used for an ad for Bulmers cider for a long time. Must abstract.... must abstract....

Geezer: The Who, “Baba O'Riley” - Oh look, there's Gary Sinese trying to act cool! It's okay, the Who could be really cool some times but they go a little overboard at other. And anything associated with Tommy pretty much fits into overblown. The Indian horn thing at the end kinda killed it for me.

becs: Silverchair, “Ana's Song” - It's interesting to see the variety of songs these guys had going on, from their harder and faster origins to more typical stadium-rock later sounds, and then this. Sadly, though, it failed to do much for me. Just sounded like a very typical rock ballad to me. And does he sing "On my knees's desires"? My knees must be emotionally hollow or something because they've never desired anything in my life (I kid, I kid!).

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Tu” - I'll admit that I can get past the odd chirps and acknowledge that she does have a good voice. But like I've said many a time, a good voice doesn't mean anything. Mariah Carey has a technically amazing voice, but you'd see me tear of my toenails before I actively listen to her music. A good song for me neds to a be a combination of several good elements, and the music on this one just sounded too pedestrian, too predictable, to make me give a damn. Didn't try looking for the lyrics on this one, even if they were Joycean I'd still not be moved.

leestu: Metallica, “One” (1989) (also Ron Burgundy's #68 and Buscemi's #8) : Wow, surprised not that you picked a Metallica song, but that this is the most picked Metallica. No Enter Sandman, no Nothing Else Matters? Ah well, a good song regardless, so nice pick.

Buscemi: Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall” (Part 2 also Geezer's #58 and becs' #35) - Interesting to hear the full version, although the gap at the 5-minute mark really distracted me (not your fault, I know). And very interesting to realise there's a build up to one of the band's most famous edited singles. Very cool.

silversurfer: Radiohead, “Street Spirit” - I had heard Radiohead before through Creep, but I remember hearing this song and watching the video when it came out... and it clicked. It was then that I felt I "got" Radiohead (although I had to do that twice more, first to get their harder songs like Just, and then again when they embraced electro), and fell in love with them. Out of curiosity, SS, what do you make of Radiohead now, in the last few albums? Anyway, what I like about this song in context to the rest of their stuff, is that is proved they could do something simple and make it beautiful (I think Bulletproof also achieved this), and not having to rely on impressive guitar licks or odd rhythms.

transformers: The Doors, “Peace Frog” (also W's #73) - Yeah, I'll give you this one. It is a good balance between the instruments and vocals (often I find either the irritating organ or Morrissons voice, complete with awful lyrics, dominate a song), and quite catchy. Didn't feel very substantial, but not bad for a Doors song.

W: Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield” - I don't know what it is but the production of this really gets on my nerve. It sounds like a kareoke version of the song. Cheap and awful production. The accordian was even worse. It was hard to get past that and appreciate any other of the elements of the song.

englishozzy: Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar” - Wow, a "pop-punk" group that actually rocks for one song. It's not often you hear that. It was okay overall, but still a tad generic for me.

BarcaRulz: AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top” - Good, fun, classic rock n roll. Too true about the bagpipes, hey deserve an award for not making them sound embarrassing! Only criticism is that it's a tad too long, but it doesn't ruin it or anything.

Ron Burgundy: Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance” - Never heard these guys. Feel like they missed the boat a little, the whole punk-rock revival of The Strokes and The White Stripes is almost a decade old now! Still, I liked the guitar work in this one. Not bad.

Chienfantome: Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars” - I was actually listening to this song yesterday. Amazing song. In ways I feel it's almost too good for Good Will Hunting. Really touching stuff from a deeply troubled singer (you don't need to know the biographical details, just listen to ANY of his songs. Look beyond the surface and you see that a sane, happy person does not write music like this). If you don't have any of his albums, I totally suggest you get out there and get some (XO is my favourite, but I like Elliott Smith and Either/Or too. The latter has Between the Bars).

Frendo: Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart” - Weren't these guys big among the alt crowds? Anyway, I was never a huge fan. There's something about their music that almost reminds me of Pearl Jam. The music just isn't raw anough to rock my world, and not melodic enough to be anything else, so it's in a sort of musical limbo for me. Still, I certainly don't dislike it, and I don't dislike this song. The chorus is indeed good!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Just for the record, The Wall was intended to be listened to as an ALBUM. Mashing three separate (and distinct) portions of the album into one "song" doesn't constitute a "definitive" version. THIS is how these songs were meant to be heard:

1 In the Flesh?
2 The Thin Ice
3 Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 1
4 The Happiest Days of Our Lives
5 Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2
6 Mother
7 Goodbye Blue Sky
8 Empty Spaces
9 Young Lust
10 One of My Turns
11 Don't Leave Me Now
12 Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 3
13 Goodbye Cruel World
14 Hey You
15 Is There Anybody Out There?
16 Nobody Home
17 Vera Waters
18 Bring the Boys Back Home
19 Comfortably Numb
20 The Show Must Go On
21 In the Flesh
22 Run Like Hell
23 Waiting for the Worms
24 Stop
25 The Trial
26 Outside the Wall

numbersix wrote:
NSpan wrote: Labels aside, you said it for me. Joy Division is meant to be taken as "serious" music. With that in mind, I consider solid vocals to be an integral part of any good song (instrumental pieces aside, of course). I mean, consider the vocals as just another instrument. If you heard a song that was great--except for the fact that they decided to include an AWFUL accordion player as the centerpiece of the composition... wouldn't you find that one grating aspect of the song so distracting that the rest of the performance becomes tainted due to its inclusion?

As I've said, I like Joy Division's melodies--maybe they should've been an instrumental band.... or hired someone who could sing.
Ah, but going back to the spirit of punk, a lot of those guys couldn't play their instruments that well. Again, it was about the energy more than show-ofy talent. So Curtis's voice fits more in there as opposed to be an accordion (and if you were to make that comparison, remember that post-punk often employed a discordant sax, which added immensely to the song). And if you think punk's poor playing was acceptable because they were all tongue-in-cheek, well I have to disagree there. I don't think punks thought themselves as some sort of joke. I'm sure they took themselves seriously in doing what they were doing, even if it was more upbeat than Joy Division.
We need to discuss this over a beer in person--because my point isn't getting across through the message board. Punk singers got away with having horrible voices because PUNK was all about stripping music down to its rawest (and LEAST pretentious) form. "Real" punk didn't last long... because most of it sounded like shit. That's when Post-Punk, New-Wave, and Pop-Punk all come in. It's a new generation--prog-rock is still something to avoid, but now we're dealing with musicians who care about what they SOUND like. Post-punk is the hangover from punk. The "my God, what did we DO last night (year/decade/etc)?!? ... and why the hell is that horrible singer / accordion player STILL IN THE BAND???"

I'm not saying Punk was tongue-in-cheek. I'm saying it was a FUCK YOU to every musician who fancied himself an "artist." They reminded us that you could create basic, raw rock'n'roll without the string arrangements, without the Andy Warhol cover art, without the pretentious CONCEPT ALBUM. And, to an extent, they succeeded. But it didn't last long. The "artists" took punk and turned it into art. Art to be appreciated. Art to be taken SERIOUSLY.

Enter: Joy Division. There was no tongue-in-cheek there. They just had a shitty singer.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, beer invite accepted. All I need now is cash for a holiday to Texas! Anyway, there isn't much of a point going on about this, and it's not like I'm taking it personally (and I KNOW you aren't) but I will say that there is a difference between being taking yourself seriously and being pretentious. Just because you make music that is serious that doesn't mean you're somehow being insincere or reverting back to the pomposity of what people say rock became. I know music and biography aren't the same thing, but in countless accounts of Joy Division, Curtis was always known to be a down-to earth guy. He didn't go around quoting Ballard and Burroughs, even if he did reference them in his lyrics. Now, the people who think they're making serious music because that's the cool thing to do: that's pretentious. But from Joy Division I get a sense of sincerity, that the music reflected what they were expressing as opposed to fitting in or whatnot. And I guess the point I'll always come back to, is that I can accept that you don't need to have a pitch-perfect voice if your need to express is that evident, regardless of genre.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - The Earons, “Land of Hunger”
A bit cheesy at times, it was an ok song and a pretty funny video but nothing really special for me. 5/10
NSpan - The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon”
Definately prefer The Kinks over The Beatles anyday, have always really liked this song, very relaxing. 8/10
Numbersix - Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines”
Couldn't really get into this one, was a bit slow and his voice kinda got a bit annoying towards the end. 4/10
Geezer - The Who, “Baba O'Riley”
Good pick, had completely forgotten about this song until you played it, was good to hear it again. 7/10
becs - Silverchair, “Ana's Song”
Not one of my favourite songs from this band and i remember liking this song a lot more than what i do now. 6/10
undeadmonkey - Shakira, “Tu”
Im gonna have to put this one somewhere in the middle compared to the other songs you have posted. 5/10
leestu - Metallica, “One”
Very surprising but good song. 7/10
Buscemi - Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall”
Still prefer Part 2 of the song. 7/10
silversurfer - Radiohead, “Street Spirit”
Another song that i haven't heard in a long while, glad you brought it up. 8/10
transformers - The Doors, “Peace Frog”
It was OK, nothing really special for me. 5/10
W - Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”
Had a pretty catchy beat to it but its just something that i dont normally listen to. 5/10
BarcaRulz - AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”
Classic AC/DC, cant beat it. 10/10
Ron Burgundy - Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance”
IT was OK, nothing that really stood out to me though. 6/10
Chienfantome - Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”
Another relaxing song, quite enjoyed it but not a good one to be listening to at this time of night, glad i only got one song left. 7/10
Frendo - Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”
Never really liked this song of theirs, preferred 'Sour Girl' and 'Wicked Garden'. 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: The Earons, “Land of Hunger” (1984) - A nice beat, but nothing else really worked for me. Sounded like a mix between 80s pop and reggae, neither of which I am a big fan of.

NSpan: The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon” - Absolutely delightful. Definitely in the upper tier of their songs, and comparable with the very best of their slower songs such as Waterloo Sunset. Still much prefer their more rockier fare like All Day And All Of The Night and You Really Got Me more though.

Numbersix: Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines” (1978) - Man that was powerful, it sounded like he'd drank the soul of a great bluesman before singing that. I'm gonna have to really invest some time in Tom Waits in the near future, his work is not as immediate as others, it's an acquired taste and I'm gonna have to find out what period of work to start with. This sounds like a good starting point though.

Geezer: The Who, “Baba O'Riley” - At times I do find The Who a little overblown, they really embraced that stadium rock pomp, and this definitely has elements of it. But that riff does save it, just.

becs: Silverchair, “Ana's Song” - I was wondering when this song would turn up on your list, as your picks so far had laid every foundation for this to be in your top ten. One of my absolute favourites of the band, a great chorus, and I love the chugging guitars and lyrics around the "And your my obsession/ And Ana wrecks your life, Like an anorexia life" mark. And six, those lyrics are actually, "Open fire, on the needs designed, on my knees for you". Close, but no knee desire required.

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Tu” - Yes, she has a good voice, just as I imagine all the contestants on American Idol do too. It's what you do with it that counts, and the music she plays is just a little trite for me. And I was not in the least surprised that this was a love song. I mean, it'd be nice to hear a pop singer sing of something else for once...

leestu: Metallica, “One” (1989) - I'm very surprised we haven't seen any of Metallica's most famous songs on here yet such as Enter Sandman. I suppose we still have a few songs left. I was hoping to have a few new songs from the band to listen to now as an intro, but you keep posting the same song! Looks like I'll have to do the leg work myself... Oh, good song btw.

Buscemi: Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall” - I kind of feel there must have been a reason why the song was split up into three and distributed throughout the record. Obviously the band meant not for it to be heard like this. Interesting to actually hear it this way, but I don't think it's the definitive version for that reason.

silversurfer: Radiohead, “Street Spirit” - In response six, I like most of their newer albums, some of them a lot, but as you can probably tell from the majority of my picks on this countdown I am more of a straightforward alt-rock fan, so their earlier albums will always be closer to my heart. It took a long time for me to appreciate Kid A, and there are still songs on there I just don't like. Since then, most of their albums have contained some of the best songs of the last decade, but I always feel that the band have been harnessed by their need to go back to their old style due to the backlash of Kid A, and to be honest I think that has affected my overall appreciation of their records since the new century. Songs which have really stood out post Kid A though are The National Anthem, Knives Out, You And Whose Army, Life In A Glass House, 2+2=5, I Will, Myxomatosis, Bodysnatchers and Nude. Most of those stick with the old formula I guess, but I have definitely not turned away from the electro style. They are still one of the very best bands around, I just think they hit their peak (maybe not creatively speaking, but musically for me) around The Bends and OK Computer.

transformers: The Doors, “Peace Frog” (also W's #73) - Not a song I'm particularly familiar with, but I really dug it. Nice riff to it. I can't remember W posting this...

W: Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield” - Yeah, this is the style of country I'm not that fond of. It has that kind of cheesy sound which doesn't appeal. I generally find that when country is played at a pace it just isn't for me. It just sounds like they are all sitting in a barn tapping their feet and there are lots of people line dancing to it. If this was slowed right down maybe I'd like it, but not like this.

englishozzy: Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar” - Love this song, definitely one of my favourites (if not favourite) from JEW. Killer chorus, great solo, pounding drums. Great stuff.

BarcaRulz: AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top” - I'm generally not a fan of these guys, mainly due to the singer's vocals, but I can't deny that this is not a great song, brilliant chorus, great for a sing a long.

Ron Burgundy: Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance” - Really cool stuff, don't really hear any space rock in there, much more in line with The Strokes or The Kaiser Chiefs, but still good. Can't help but feel though, that in a couple of years this will not be in your top 5 songs of all time though...

Chienfantome: Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars” - Beautiful stuff, I've been looking into picking up an album of his for a little while now, but they are really, really expensive over here so may have to pick one up on the net. I really love his voice, it just has that delicate sound which really works with this type of song.

Frendo: Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart” - I've only just started to get into these guys. I've known of them for a long, long time, but never picked up an album. I got Purple recently which I'm enjoying. Is it just me or does anybody hear a little of The Lemonheads in this, just the verse parts seem to remind me of them. Anyway, really enjoyed it, just more affirmation that I should have gotten into the band long ago.

For the most part that was an awesome round, really enjoyed listening to those songs so thanks guys!

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #6

Shrykespeare
UB40, “Maybe Tomorrow”
(1987)
interesting, but I'm not sure it was quite my cup of tea as it were. It seemed like the song kept backing itself down instead of building up.

Regarding my Shiny Toy Guns cover of this round, yea that was a fan video, I take it for a film class or something, but apparently the guy in it is some up & coming aussie actor... he's really freakin hot imo :)

NSpan
The Band, “When I Paint My Masterpiece”
(1971)
I AM SO CONFUSED... A little bit hippie, a little bit country, a little french/italianish something? that was bizarre, but I actually did like it. Yet again with your picks the bit I leasted liked is the vocalist.

Numbersix
Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime”
(1981)
We definitely had this before, and I don't remember how I responded before... its certainly a good and recognizable song, for me a bit too novelty for me to really want to hear it for my own listening pleasure but I do enjoy it when it pops up. Funny I am realizing the lyrics sound like a perfect simon & garfunkel song, but the beat is so mismatched to that.

Geezer
Billy Joel, “Piano Man”

Again, I think Busc had this one before. Still a very nice song.

undeadmonkey
Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah”
(also leestu's #99 and numbersix's #25)
Beautiful song, can't be played too much. SPLEEN.

leestu
R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts”
(1993) (also englishozzy's #48 and BarcaRulz's #22)
Gets better with every post!

Buscemi
Bob Dylan, “Subterranean Homesick Blues”

The song makes no sense, but its pretty amazin how he ran all that together so well.

silversurfer
Joy Division, “She's Lost Control”

I've heard that guitar in some newer song, its awesome though, definitely better used than its somewhat sharper version I am thinking of.. not sure of the song though. Really good, I just wish he had not gone quite so low on the vocals, but very enjoyable regardless.

transformers
Metallica, “For Whom The Bell Tolls”

Not a song I'm overly familiar with, but I've definitely heard before, very good. These guys really show how to have a loong intro because it doesn't matter that it took a long time for the song to get going, they had grabbed hold of you with the first strains of the music anyway.

W
Cream, “Sunshine of Your Love”

AWESOME. Wasn't familiar with this previously but I loved it. Now THAT is the way to do hippie.

englishozzy
Blink-182, “All the Small Things”

This song was a mockery of poppy boy bands, so for me it feels much like the handful of parody songs that have been listed, hard to rate it as a favorite for me, but I do enjoy the song.
I'm a little aghast to see this song considered better than Adam's Song or Stay Together for the Kids!Both are immensely better.

BarcaRulz
Nine Inch Nails, “The Hand That Feeds”

Another NIN song I've heard a million times but would've never known the name. Really amazingly good stuff!

Ron Burgundy
The Strokes, “You Only Live Once”

mmm Julian Casablancas is so very tasty... however this is far from his (or the band's) best work in my opinion.

Chienfantome
Interpol, “Rest My Chemistry”

I love Interpol, and they are unfortunately underrepresented in this countdown, I wish I had included one of their songs :( Very beautiful, mellow but emotionally charged song.

Frendo
ICP, “Terrible”

Not my thing at all. Valid point to you for the song's message, but I honestly don't think it could have been more poorly executed.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #5

Shrykespeare
The Earons, “Land of Hunger”
(1984)
Whats with the reggae love all of a sudden? I actually kind of liked this, it was interesting, but a bit repetitive after awhile.

NSpan
The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon”

You sure aren't kidding that this sounds like the beatles, very very good but with a little more melancholy than is usual for them. Excellent new to me song.

Numbersix
Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines”
(1978)
Very unexpected. Tom sounds much like the black blues/jazz crooners of yesteryear, really amazing stuff.

Geezer
The Who, “Baba O'Riley”

Deconstructed I can see the greatness in each part, but its just impossible for me to hear this song objectively anymore.

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Tu”

i dunno, her voice just bothers me, sorry, it's got this weird throaty thing that makes her utterly recognizable but grating to me. She looks more like a bad wanna be goth in this one even than the last. It was actually a nice enough song though, I just can't stand her voice.

leestu
Metallica, “One”
(1989) (also Ron Burgundy's #68 and Buscemi's #8)
I feel like we just heard this.. oh wait, we did! Excellent pick :)

Buscemi
Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall”
(Part 2 also Geezer's #58 and becs' #35)
yea whatev! Part 2 is what the cool kids like... Obviously, I do really enjoy this, but the combined trio is just SO long all mashed together it does start to lose me and the movements do not flow together at all despite their similarity. Amazing work of art regardless.

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Street Spirit”

WOW I had completely forgotten this song, but it is soooo good. Thank you for reminding me.

transformers
The Doors, “Peace Frog”
(also W's #73)
So far, still not a huge fan of the doors.

W
Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”

not a fan of Dwight at all, and dunno Buck Owens but it was, just not for me. Bakersfield is a HOLE, so I can at least understand the sentiment. I especially enjoyed the confederate flags at the end there...

englishozzy
Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar”

GREAT song, I absolutely love the driving beat on the verses. This one disappointingly makes me think of fall out boy though when I hear it, it taints it a bit, but FOB was never this good.

BarcaRulz
AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”

Still not a band I can generall get into, but I'll agree that this is one of their best. Also, Awesome bagpipes!

Ron Burgundy
Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance”

Very interesting, I'll definitely look into these guys. Reminded me a little of RHCP in the verses, and then at the chorus it made me think of Earthsuit/Mutemath's Paul Meany.

Chienfantome
Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”

Blown away, that was amazing.

Frendo
Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”

Awesome song, there has been a sad lack of STP on this countdown, glad to see them show up in a top 10.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

We are going to take a break for one night after this song. We will do our #3 on Sunday night, #2 on Monday. Next Thursday is when surfer leads off our #1 cavalcade.

And once again, we have the same song on the same day by two different people. And this particular song should come as a surprise to no one.

SONG #4

becs/BarcaRulz
Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
(also W's #23)

becs:
Nirvana's First and greatest hit, it has an infectious beat, serious rage/passion, and as always a serious message. The up and down, soft to frenetic ranging sound, which Kurt attributed to his love for the Pixies, I find to be an absolutely perfect execution and is what makes the song so transcendent.

BarcaRulz:
A song I'm guessing has already appeared (or will soon) on many top 10s, and there's good reason as to why that is. This is Nirvana at their best, being genuine, being weird, being crazy, and being good.

Shrykespeare
Johann Strauss II, “The Blue Danube”
(1867)

One of the most instantly recognizable pieces of classic music ever composed – and used to perfection in 2001: A Space Odyssey – I beg, implore, BESEECH you all, take eleven minutes out of your life and listen to this, without pause and without distractions. Strap yourselves in, and prepare to be swept away. Some things transcend generations and genres, and this is one of them. Take it from a guy who hates most classical music, who has placed this amazing, majestic, miraculous piece of music in his Top Five of All Time... if you can't appreciate the beauty, the grace, the dignity, the sheer awesome POWER of this song (honestly, though, “song” seems like far too short a word to describe what this really is, which is an “experience”), in even the smallest degree, then I feel really, truly sorry for you.

NSpan
The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
(1966)

This is my favorite Beach Boys song – and it's testament to the epic talent of Brian Wilson as a songwriter. I'm so head-over-heels in love with “Wouldn't It Be Nice” that I don't think my description could do it justice. But, for anyone who thought the Beach Boys were just a bunch of popsters cashing in on sunny California and surfing themes, REALLY give this an honest listen. This song is expertly crafted. It is, perhaps, THE *perfect* pop song. And it might also be the strongest album-opener I've heard. If you don't already own Pet Sounds, do yourself a favor and get it.

Numbersix
Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
(1971)

This song has captured my attention for years. At first it was the deeply melancholic guitar work and vocals that simply entranced me. And then I sat down and really listened to the lyrics. Cohen was a poet before he was a musician, but he manages to write lyrics that are both musical but deeply literary. You can take it on a superficial level in which a man writes a letter to a friend who made a cuckold out of the narrator. But the more I read the lyrics the more I noticed details that suggested much more. There’s so much ambiguity that the song could equally be about the narrator himself, like he’s writing a bitter letter to his passionate past self. But for all its literary genius the music is still essential, and as proof of its power, I once tried to learn guitar. Only when I started to learn songs I liked and break them down into notes and chords, the magic of the song disappeared a little, as if the mystery of music made it more alluring. However, that never happened with this song, and even though I can kinda play it, it still feels emotive to hear those notes ring out.

Geezer
The Beatles, “Yesterday”

This has been one of my top favorite songs since I knew what music was. Simple, beautiful, the best the Beatles ever did. The strings are beautiful, the vocals pristine. This could easily top my list. The lyrics are somber, heartfelt and completely relatable. Enjoy this magnificent song.

undeadmonkey
Just Jack, “Embers”

Epitome of catchy. I only found this song less than a year ago and I've already listened to it over 500 times.

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/jus ... 0e78a.html

leestu
XTC, “Dear God”
(1987)

A passionate, thought-provoking song.

Buscemi
Louis Armstrong, “What A Wonderful World”

It's short but Satchmo accomplishes everything that he sets out to do. He sings about the world and why it is so important to preserve and improve (a longer version has an intro with Louie talking about the bad things in the world). And after all these years, it is still important as it was then.

silversurfer
Jeff Buckley, “Grace”

Jeff was an artist we don't see pop up too often any more. Which makes it all the more agonizing when someone with such a talent is stolen from us at such a premature age. He was on the verge of creating something very special, he had not yet hit his pinnacle like some more notorious celebrity deaths around this time. However, we were left with Grace, one of the most sublime records I have ever heard (if we do this album thing, Grace will rank very, very highly for me). The title track is also my favourite from the record, a powerful “Death Prayer”, essentially. It is a song in which Jeff has accepted and cast away any fears for his own mortality and accept that while death is an inevitability, it also allows him to enjoy his life. So it is in fact a rather positive song (though I guess Ron will not be impressed...), although a little eerie with what happened to him ultimately. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful song. I mentioned Thom Yorke's voice previously, well this guy had the best voice I have ever heard. It's so powerful, and this song emphasizes it to the full, from the hushed intro to the crescendo at the end. And don't you just love that guitar intro and feedback riff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3adFWKE9JE
(try this if the above is blocked)

transformers
Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir”
(also Shrykespeare's #84)

This has always been my favorite Zeppelin track and again it is just an epic song.

W
Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower”
(also Geezer's #27 and silversurfer's #17)

I love Dylan's words and love Hendrix's guitar. This is not a bad way at all of putting both of them together. Hendrix isn't the greatest vocalist out there, for sure, but he does have emotion, which is what the song needs.

englishozzy
Semisonic, “Closing Time”

Probably only known as a one-hit-wonder, but this band has done some other pretty good songs including “Secret Smile” and “Signing in my Sleep”. This easily though stands out as their most famous song.

Ron Burgundy
Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby”

When I first heard the Kaiser Chiefs, they rocked my world, I missed their first album, but I think the one where “Ruby” came from is better anyway, its one of the few CD's I can still listen to on full rotation (I used to anyway). And this song is just a good happy song, I wanna know what you think...

Chienfantome
Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe”

I would be surprised if suddenly, all of you guys fell for a French song. I think I have failed miserably in convincing you that there are some amazing French songs out there. Sure, a (small) handful of you have appreciated a couple of the French songs I have introduced, but there was no consensus. Well, here’s another one. The most recent song of my Top 10. This is from the eponymous album La Superbe by Benjamin Biolay, released last year. The best French album of 2009. I am sure some of you won’t like the voice of Biolay (he’s the guy in the video). And some of you probably won’t like the fact it lasts more than 6 minutes. But still, open your ears. Listen to the rhythm of those 14-syllable verses. Those instruments coming to life as the song flows. The intensity that slowly grows in the voice and in the music. The first time I heard this song, I was shocked. I was immediately under the spell of its charm. I have listened to it hundreds of times this past year, and have never grown tired of it. Every single time, I am struck by the density of the music, and the poetry of the writing. For this is as much poetry as it is music. The lyrics are a modern adaptation of a 19th century French poem. I will try to translate the lyrics the best I can for you, but the flow of the 14-syllable verses, the rhymes, and the quality of the writing won’t be given justice by my translation. Anyway, I’m anxious to hear what you think of it!

Frendo
Tom Waits, “Downtown Train”

Pretty much anything that says Tom Waits anywhere near the cover is guaranteeing my purchase. I picked this one over the others for no real reason in particular, just it was one of the first I got into, and one of the first to come to mind. His voice takes some getting
used to for some, but once you do, there is no going back.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Here's an english translation to the lyrics of Benjamin Biolay's "La Superbe". It can't sound as great as in French, but I did my best :

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a conifer
Of a new silence, of a single shag
The sun is sitting on the wrong side of the sea
What an adventure, what an adventure

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a bus shelter
Don’t stay here, we hear the angelus ring
The sun is pretty, sadder than the Gruss circus,

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a chain,
Of a glass of Campari, of the shipping crew’s willingness
Paris is so small when you reach it by swimming

We stroll, we smell
We smell the peculiar flame
We win, we lose
We lose the win
The Superb

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of dirty love
Of a simple denial, of a bad life, of a bad time
The silence is as heavy as a wandering aircraft carrier

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a sacrifice,
Of an on-credit death, of a prejudice, of an injury
The sun is escaping like a soap suddenly slipping,

We stroll, we smell
We smell the peculiar flame
We win, we lose
We lose the win
The Superb

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a Nimbutal
Of a decrepit ceiling we observe horizontally
The sun is gone, the snow’s falling on the slabs

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a street lamp
Of a sleeping pain, of a chaste spleen on a winter night
Old age, this enemy, remains the only cornerstone

We stroll, we smell
We smell the familiar flame
We win, we lose
We lose the win
The Superb

We remain, thank Goodness, at the mercy of a spark
Somewhere in Paris, in the very heart of a hotel bar
Right from the next life, I dream of being faithful

What an adventure, what an adventure,

The Superb, the superb, the superb…
Fluctuat nec mergitur

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

becs/BarcaRulz - Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
It's surprising that we have only had this song come up once before on the countdown, i wonder if we are going to see it again?? 8/10
Shrykespeare - Johann Strauss II, “The Blue Danube”
Although something i wouldn't consider putting it in any sort of music countdown i cant deny that this is a classic piece of music. 7/10
NSpan - The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
Always found a lot of Beach Boys music to be chirpy and fun to listen to but thats where it stops. Still a good song to enjoy though. 7/10
Numbersix - Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
A nice relaxing song, it got a bit slow for me in sections but not a bad song. 6/10
Geezer - The Beatles, “Yesterday”
Sorry but really cant stand this song, i dont know but i really cant get into the Beatles stuff. 3/10
undeadmonkey - Just Jack, “Embers”
It started off OK but lost interest in it pretty quickly im afraid. 4/10
leestu - XTC, “Dear God”
It was OK, probably wouldn't listen to it again though. 5/10
Buscemi - Louis Armstrong, “What A Wonderful World”
One of the all time classics. Although would never be on my own list a great song. 7/10
silversurfer - Jeff Buckley, “Grace”
Although not my favourite Jeff Buckley song, its still a pretty powerful and dramatic song. 7/10
transformers - Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir”
Cant complain about this one, good song. 8/10
W - Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower”
I have always been torn with which version i like better, great song. 9/10
Ron Burgundy - Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby”
Their songs are pretty catchy but once they lose that new song smell they kinda get a tad annoying. 5/10
Chienfantome - Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe”
Of a new silence, of a single shag
What a line!! hehe. It was an OK song enjoyed it in sections. 6/10
Frendo - Tom Waits, “Downtown Train”
I liked the song but his voice kinda grates me a bit. 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

transformers – Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir” – Obviously, I love this pick. Great choice. (10)

leestu – XTC, “Dear God” – Very early in the countdown, I expounded on why I thought XTC was responsible for some of the cleverest lyrics I've heard. This song is a prime example. “This World Over” is another. Plus, their music is awesome. (9)

becs/BarcaRulz – Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Grunge at its finest. (9)

Buscemi – Louis Armstrong, “What a Wonderful World” – This is not my era or genre of choice, but I've always had a soft spot for this song. As beautiful and simple as it is poignant and timeless. (8)

W – Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower” – Guitar godhood at its best. (7)

Geezer – The Beatles, “Yesterday” – Another classic. Not among my very favorites, but I still like it very much. (7)

NSpan – The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice” – Such a sweet sentiment. Finally, a Beach Boys song that I can really get behind. (7)

Ron Burgundy – Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby” – Weird. I absolutely love the verses, but I absolutely hate the chorus. Hmm. (6)

Frendo – Tom Waits, “Downtown Train” – Well, this is way different from the Rod Stewart version (obviously). I assume this was the original. It's pretty good. (6)

englishozzy – Semisonic, “Closing Time” – This song seemed very cleverly written when it first came out, though the music itself isn't that exceptional. All in all, it's just a relatively harmless 90's song. (6)

silversurfer – Jeff Buckley, “Grace” – It was good, but it didn't touch me on an emotional level like it did with you. Didn't care for the ending much, either. (6)

Chienfantome – Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe” – Since I can't judge the lyrics, I'll just judge the music. It was pretty good. (5)

numbersix – Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat” – Nice lyrics, but too spleen for me. (5)

undeadmonkey – Just Jack, “Embers” – God, I fucking hated this. Third-grade lyrics, brainless dick-in-hand video. 500 times?! I listened to it once and I want those three minutes back. Gack. (2)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #4

Shrykespeare
Johann Strauss II, “The Blue Danube”
(1867)
A very amazing classical selection, instantly recognizable. For my taste I like a little more flowy and sad tinged pieces when it comes to classical, but this is always a good one.

NSpan
The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice”
(1966)
A great song, I especially like the intro.

Numbersix
Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat”
(1971)
I've commented repeatedly that I love Leonard Cohen's writing but can't stand his singing, well this is probably the best of his singing I've heard, it actually gets melodic, I would love to hear a cover by someone who can actually sing though.

Geezer
The Beatles, “Yesterday”

I don't know why, but this song has just never stood out in their body of work at all to me. Beautiful but nothing special.

undeadmonkey
Just Jack, “Embers”

Loved it! great sound, very layered, now thats the way to do some proper electronic music. Wonder if he intentionally took the name from Will & Grace?

leestu
XTC, “Dear God”
(1987)
DANG, really like these guys from the songs posted here, definitely a band I'm going to chase up further.

Buscemi
Louis Armstrong, “What A Wonderful World”

I don't really like this song, it's pretty but way too sweet for my liking.

silversurfer
Jeff Buckley, “Grace”

Okay, you've convinced me! I must have this album.

transformers
Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir”
(also Shrykespeare's #84)
i think this is actually the 3rd or 4th time this has been posted, surely. Its a freakin great song.

W
Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower”
(also Geezer's #27 and silversurfer's #17)
still good but not really my thing.

englishozzy
Semisonic, “Closing Time”

A little surprising to see this in top 10, but I remember this song in the height of it's popularity, and very much enjoy it.

Ron Burgundy
Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby”

The band name is familiar, but I don't think I could name any of their songs, this was really nice albeit a bit generic.

Chienfantome
Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe”

Ahh sorry, it was a very pretty song, but the "singer" is guilty of talk-singing, one of the things I greatly dislike in music.

Frendo
Tom Waits, “Downtown Train”

I liked Blue Valentine better, but this is another great song from Tom Waits.
- Donte

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

W
Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”
not a fan of Dwight at all, and dunno Buck Owens but it was, just not for me. Bakersfield is a HOLE, so I can at least understand the sentiment. I especially enjoyed the confederate flags at the end there...
I don't watch the videos before I put them on here normally, just listen to the sound quality. So that's my bad.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

becs/BarcaRulz - Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - Once again, an awesome song. I kinda feel it's not actually gonna appear now too much (well maybe besides Geez and six possibly), as we are getting to the absolute top and I just don't think that many people would place it in their top three songs of all time. Wish I had some space for some Nirvana in my list, and maybe if I did it again I'd find some, but it wouldn't be this song anyway, although my introduction to the band, much more likely to be be Something In The Way I guess. However, I agree becs, Kurt took Pixies formula and worked it to perfection, it's one of the absolute ultimate Generation X anthems, and with good reason. Cracking drumming in this one too.

Shrykespeare - Johann Strauss II, “The Blue Danube” - I gave the song it's full due, in fact I gave it that twice, as well as being more than overly familiar with the work. And while I do admit it is a beautiful piece of music, I would probably place a good 5 or so above it from this genre. It's something I can pleasantly listen to in any environment, but it doesn't really take me on an emotional journey as it seems to take you. Not entirely expected in your top 5, but nice to hear nevertheless.

NSpan - The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice” - I think it's sometimes easy to dismiss these guys as chirpy pop, as many on hear have done so already, but the production values in this are astonishing. Add on to the fact that they did probably create more than their fare share of pop songs (in fact, I'd say without them, along with The Beatles, the modern pop song we know wouldn't exist. It's just so deeprooted in their template), and that they are so imprinted in our memories, then they must have done something right! The harmonies in this are fabulous. Still probably prefer God Only Knows, but man, I've been listening to Pet Sounds almost non stop for a month or so now, and I just cannot get bored of it. It was one of those records which had been on my list forever, and now I have it, I cannot imagine a record collection without this album in.

Numbersix - Leonard Cohen, “Famous Blue Raincoat” - Wow, that was very beautiful. Seems like a very complex love triangle, one which after it all unravels Cohen is unable to return to Jane, he has been wounded by her infidelity. The music was very nice, complemented the lyrics brilliantly, with a very sombre atmosphere which seems to reflect his regret over the relationship. I've also only recently got into Cohen, I picked up a best of his work recently (I hate best of's but I really didn't know where to start with his work), and have found a lot to like about it. His voice has grown on me a lot, and you are correct, his lyrics are poetry.

Geezer - The Beatles, “Yesterday” - Probably not one of my very favourites from The Beatles, but a great song nevertheless. It has a very nice melody and the strings do complement it rather than just add bulk to the song which I notice quite often happens.

undeadmonkey - Just Jack, “Embers” - First off, I had to go seek this song on Youtube myself, as the one linked is most certainly not Just Jack. Regarding the song itself, I wasn't very fond of the music, just an overly simplistic beat which got a little repetative, while his vocals were not good enough to keep me interested. On a side note, I have E! on in the background (ok, actually Helena has it on in the background. Honest...) and I'm sure you'll be excited to know Shakira is filming a 3D music video for her next song. And I guess it will give six something even more interesting to look at next time you post a song of her...

leestu - XTC, “Dear God” - This was great, I got a very Modest Mouse feel to this song for some reason. I loved the climax it reached, really got me tapping my feet. These are a band I need to get into more. I have one of their albums, but this is one of their later songs and it is still great. I know understand why they have been so highly regarded all these years.

Buscemi - Louis Armstrong, “What A Wonderful World” - A delightful song, timeless almost. Very nice to hear it again.

transformers - Led Zeppelin, “Kashmir” - Once again another brilliant song, enjoyed it just as much as last time.

W - Jimi Hendrix, “All Along the Watchtower” - Obviously I love this almost as much as you do.

englishozzy - Semisonic, “Closing Time” - Ah, tbis brings back memories. A very overplayed radio hit from back in the late 90s, it was ok, a little generic but I do remember it fondly with a catchy chorus and nice riff. I actually heard Secret Smile first, but this was definitely their best song.

Ron Burgundy - Kaiser Chiefs, “Ruby” - Seriously, this is shocking. This is just lazy, lazy musicianship. The song is a dirge in its verses before forcing a 'catchy' chorus on us, which doesn't fit and is more annoying than anything. Their first record had far better songs on it (I Predict A Riot, Oh My God), but they were always a singles band more than anything and didn't have enough decent material for an album, never mind a secord or heaven forbid third. Can't belive this is in your top 5 songs of all time.

Chienfantome - Benjamin Biolay, “La Superbe” - Wow, this song reeked of your now infamous melancholy! Definitely one of your better French language songs, though it does sound very, very French. A stirring song, really reached a crescendo to highlight the emotions running through the song. Lyrics were intriguing, non for so than for its use of our new favourite word! Spleen!

Frendo - Tom Waits, “Downtown Train” - Before this countdown I hadn't really gotten into Tom Waits at all, but slowly you guys have worn me down. I think his voice put me off at first, but I have managed to find something to appreciate in it now, so it doesn't really distract but rather endears me to his songs now. And his music is largely very good too. This had a kind of Springsteen-esque quality to it, but not in a bad way. Not my favourite of his songs I've heard on the countdown, but certainly decent enough.

You can tell we are reaching our climaxes now, as the quality of the songs are going right up. Another round which I largely enjoyed a lot. Now we get to our top 3s....