Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #10): #10-#2

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: silversurfer -- Joy Division, “She's Lost Control”
I DON'T GET IT. Am I the only person who thinks Ian Curtis' vocals are laughably horrible and/or UNLISTENABLE? I mean, the band sounds like a parody of their own genre. Even when the music is good, I can't take it seriously.
Well I don't get you're not getting it. We all know that we all like bands who don't have good vocalists. There's a lot of punk bands who had singers who couldn't sing. Hell, even Dylan sounds strained. I don't know about you, but for me it's the intensity of the performance, the sound of a need for expression, that makes me forgive all of those snarling/screeching/shouting punk singers. And the same goes for Ian Curtis. So no, he's not a great singer, but so what? With lyrics and performances like those on their records, I can let it slide.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I don't think Dylan has a bad voice. I LIKE his vocals on all of his 60s and 70s recordings (though, I'll admit, it sounds like shit nowadays).

And I suppose I'm a bit more lenient when it comes to punk and thrash (Jello Biafra's ridiculous voice comes to mind--but even that is somewhat of a hangup when it comes to my enjoyment of the Dead Kennedys). But, by definition, punk and thrash artists don't typically take themselves quite so seriously as New Wave acts.

Even if I appear to be contradicting myself, I think there are certain genres where the vocalist can get away with a little more (or, in this case, a little less). I know that New Wave is "in" right now--and everybody who's anybody is madly in love with Joy Division. But I guess I'm just not hip enough to get it. Ian Curtis sounds like he's mocking the whole movement--but he's NOT. He wanted to be taken seriously...and this dude just can't abide.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well you're using labels to judge a band, and you're labelling JD as New Wave. But I've always seen them closer to punk, so I've always considered them to be post-punk, which is more serious (either political or personal) but I'd rather use that than the style-oriented genre that New Wave quickly became. Think Gang of Four or PIL, and not Blondie, The Human League, etc. Look at it that way and perhaps the genre requirement of good vocals isn't as necessary? I do acknowledge that there's no definitive line separating any genre, but if you agree then the poor vocals shouldn't get in the way of what is amazing music, great lyrics, and a genuine performance. And try not to get the hipsters tarnish your opinion of any band, good or bad. Believe me, I've met a terrifying amount of people who say they love The Velvet Underground and the Pixies, just to sound cool. They'll come and go.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Well you're using labels to judge a band, and you're labelling JD as New Wave. But I've always seen them closer to punk, so I've always considered them to be post-punk, which is more serious (either political or personal)
Labels aside, you said it for me. Joy Division is meant to be taken as "serious" music. With that in mind, I consider solid vocals to be an integral part of any good song (instrumental pieces aside, of course). I mean, consider the vocals as just another instrument. If you heard a song that was great--except for the fact that they decided to include an AWFUL accordion player as the centerpiece of the composition... wouldn't you find that one grating aspect of the song so distracting that the rest of the performance becomes tainted due to its inclusion?

As I've said, I like Joy Division's melodies--maybe they should've been an instrumental band.... or hired someone who could sing.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: UB40, “Maybe Tomorrow” (1987) - I just don't think it matter which song from these guys you post, I just don't like their music. The beat of their music just don't sit well with me. I guess, in the same way that most of us don't like country and Geez's punk songs, that as we are not fans of the genre in the first place it is hard to differentiate from song to song, we can't get past that first hurdle. I know we should try, but I just don't have any real desire to do so. And this song didn't go any way to changing that.

NSpan: The Band, “When I Paint My Masterpiece” (1971) - Well, by now I guess you know I am a bonafide fan of The Band. Interesting considering the amount of material of theirs I've listened to over the last few weeks, this one isn't one that I am overly familiar with. I think I heard it once maybe over all the docs I've seen them in. But as with all their songs their is a great warmth to this. I love their voices, the 'earthiness' of their sound. It has that sound of simpler times, really evoking the times and their place. I guess that is probably why they haven't been embraced by our generation, the country slang isn't well appreciated anymore, it seems outdated on the whole, and so, like I mentioned before, it's kinda hard to differentiate between good country and bad country if you have no interest to start with. I put the effort in with these guys, and it truly paid off, I am a big fan and will probably be picking up both The Big Pink and their self titled album in the near future.

Numbersix: Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime” (1981) - Another song I grew up with, and one I consider second only to Psycho Killer. I love the simple beat of the song, it's so immediately catchy (which I guess is why it clicked so easily with me as a child), evoking a kind of world music sound. Helena hates this song, and if we are ever together in the car and I'm listening to this song she asks to skip it, so I guess it is one of those hit or miss songs, but for me it is fantastic.

Geezer: Billy Joel, “Piano Man” - It's true I was definitely not expecting this to make your top ten, heck even your top 100! But I guess that's just a kick in our teeth for suggesting your picks were all a little derivative of one style! Definitely reminiscent of both Elton and Dylan, but it works, I liked it. Now, I'm sure you'll be back with Nirvana next...

becs: Depeche Mode, “Stripped” - I honestly don't know too much Depeche Mode. I obviously know their more memorable songs, but for the most part I've been very impressed with some of the lesser known picks which have been selected for this countdown. This isn't the best I've heard from them, but it was certainly interesting.

undeadmonkey: Jeff Buckley, “Hallelujah” - Doesn't matter how many times I hear this, it's still a beautiful, tender version of the song. Definitely the definitive version in my eyes, but not Buckley's best. But as his most famous song, if it opens up a new generations ears to his talent then I have no problem with that. Now just pick up Grace and experience his full glory.

leestu: R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts” (1993) - A very obvious pick for a top ten song. As I've mentioned a few times, not my favourite of the band's, but I cannot deny it's awesomeness.

Buscemi: Bob Dylan, “Subterranean Homesick Blues” - More great stuff from Dylan, really good beat which is a style obviously adopted by so many acts to follow him. Again, not my favourite, but another brilliant song. This is looking a really good round so far.

silversurfer -- Joy Division, “She's Lost Control” - Okay, Ian Curtis' vocals are not the most silky smooth you've ever heard, but man, they are certainly one of the most intense. And for that reason I don't think they could have ever been the same band without him (that's kind of why I have always much preferred Joy Division over New Order). They are as good as I think they are BECAUSE of his vocals, without them I would not appreciate the band anywhere near as much as I do (though I still love the music).

transformers: Metallica, “For Whom The Bell Tolls” - I've been using this countdown as an introduction to the band, as beyond their most famous songs, I don't really know too much about them but have long wanted to get into the band. This was good too, I think One is probably one of the best I have heard so far, but this isn't far behind. A nice chugging riff which kept me nodding my head.

W: Cream, “Sunshine of Your Love” - More Cream, I honestly thought there would have been more on this countdown, but it's always nice to hear. Definitely their most recognisable song and not obvious to see why with such a classic riff. However, I don't think it's the band's best (I'd probably go with either Crossroads or Toad), as I feel they really take the band to their limits, pushing their boundries so much more than this, which essentially is a very typical song of its time. Not to suggest its a bad thing, its one of the best of it's time, and always a pleasure.

englishozzy: Blink-182, “All the Small Things” - Totally with six on this, I just find this a song which is very, very throwaway. Fun for when I was 16 or so, but even then it was quite forgettable. And the video is definitely one of those which thinks it is cleverer than it actually is, as it just makes fun of bands which are not too far removed from what Blink sometimes were.

BarcaRulz: Nine Inch Nails, “The Hand That Feeds” - Definitely one of my favourite of their more recent stuff. Really good beat which crosses so many genres, and a really catchy chorus. Glad to see this appear on the countdown, as I hoped their would be more than just a couple of tracks (I tried to fit March Of The Pigs on my list but couldn't quite accomodate it).

Ron Burgundy: The Strokes, “You Only Live Once” - Of all the songs from The Strokes you pick this? I mean, over Last Nite, Soma, Reptilia? Doesn't really make sense as this is so much inferior to those songs, which had a vibrancy and urgency about them. This just sounded like a band stretching on a career which had long since gone past its maturation date.

Chienfantome: Interpol, “Rest My Chemistry” - And like six (seriously, sometimes it just sounds like I'm echoing his sentiments day after day, song after song), this again is nowhere near Interpol's best song. Do you own their earlier albums? I could easily pick 15 songs better than this. Heck, there is even better off of Our Love To Admire. Just a little dull to be honest, and this isn't even because it's slow, as plenty of their songs are dramatic, atmospheric, emotional. This isn't any of those.

Frendo: ICP, “Terrible” - Sorry, didn't get anything to take away from this. Musically it wasn't for me, vocally it was pretty horrible too. Just not for me.

Such a shame the round ended in the way it did, as the first ten or so songs were awesome.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:NSpan: The Band, “When I Paint My Masterpiece”[/b] (1971) - I am a big fan and will probably be picking up both The Big Pink and their self titled album in the near future.
Those first three albums are simply amazing (the two you mentioned, along with Stage Fright). But don't entirely discount Northern Lights / Southern Cross. It's not nearly as consistent--but it contains some gems ("Ophelia," "Arcadian Driftwood," "Christmas Must Be Tonight," etc.) that elevate the status of the album to "essential." Cahoots is worth getting just for the Dylan cover--and Moondog Matinee is just a lot of fun (consisting of laid-back covers of some true classics).

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

]SONG #8

Shrykespeare
Peter Gabriel, “I Have the Touch”
(1982)
Quite liked it, I don't really know peter gabriel but I clearly should.

NSpan
Bob Dylan, “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”
(1966)

"Name a great album made between '66 and '70ish... and, chances are" Bec's won't like it... Is what I was thinking! :) No but really, It wasn't half bad, I really liked what of the music i could actually make out, just can't stand the singing... especially not for nearly 12 minutes... wtf.

Did he say Fleshlight?

Numbersix
Aphex Twin, “Windowlicker”
(1999) (also Ron Burgundy's #63)
Takes way too long to get going, even for electronica, don't love it

Geezer
Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here”
(also becs' #13)
Well at least two of us have great taste!
I did notice the lack of comment on my post, and I had already assumed as much, so glad to see I was right.

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Las De La Intuicion”

"instead of being overtly sexual as a lot of Shakira videos are this one relies more on teasing." Waaaaaat? that was probably the most sexual of all the ones you've posted. Anyway, the song didn't do much for me, it was boring, and the video was cheap and trashy, I'm honestly embarrassed for her. Your last one from her was better.

leestu
Lou Reed, “Perfect Day”
(1972)
As an uninformed listener, I can definitely see your interpretation, it sounds very positive. Easily the best song posted by him, but I still am not a fan of his singing style.

Buscemi
Metallica, “One”
(also Ron Burgundy's #68)
Dunno if I would say THE greatest, but certainly one of.

silversurfer
Violent Femmes, “Blister in the Sun”
(also leestu's #32)
Love it, still a great puunchy and fun song.

transformers
2Pac, “Changes”
(also Buscemi's #70 and Ron Burgundy's #46)

Again?! Wouldn't have expected this to be liked by so many. Good enough song.
Too little to late 2pac.

W
Roger Miller, “King of the Road”

Hate it.

englishozzy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, “By The Way”

Love it, one of the best from RHCP for sure.

BarcaRulz
Smashing Pumpkins, “Disarm”
(also becs' #59)
Great pick! :)

Ron Burgundy
DJ Shadow & UNKLE, “Celestial Annihilation”

Quite good, still a bit slow to get started for my liking.

Chienfantome
Metric, “Dead Disco”

Love these guys, but I MUCH prefer Sick Muse or Gold Guns Girls, however Dead Disco was the first song I heard of theirs and made me want to hear more.

Frendo
The Clash, “White Man (In Hammersmith Palais)”

Woah, didn't like. So off key I couldn't take it. Sounded like really bad drunken karaoke
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
UB40, “Maybe Tomorrow”
(1987)
I could barely tell the difference between the live and studio version. Which is rare nowadays. Too be honest, to me this seems a bit tame as far as reggae goes, but it was still very enjoyable. You must have a lot of good memories all the times that you've seen them. they seem funny too 'Hello momma', heh

NSpan
The Band, “When I Paint My Masterpiece”
(1971)
hmmm, I really don't know what to say about this song, to be honest it sounded like an old gospel song. Which I don't mean in a derogative way, I just wasn't really in the mood.

Numbersix
Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime”
(1981)
not bad, but definitely different from what you guys have introduced to me from these guys on this countdown. I can't say that I like it as much, but still an interesting listen.

Geezer
Billy Joel, “Piano Man”

true this is a very different pick than most of your stuff. Not bad, but it was a little superfluous for me

becs
Depeche Mode, “Stripped”

you probably shouldnt of shown me STG's version. I liked it much better. It just seemed more epic and bigger. That being said DM's version wasn't bad, I really liked the use of the car sounds and the fireworks

leestu
R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts”
(1993) (also englishozzy's #48 and BarcaRulz's #22)
one of the better REM songs from anybody on this list.

Buscemi
Bob Dylan, “Subterranean Homesick Blues”

loved it, have never heard it before. was definitely catchy.

silversurfer
Joy Division, “She's Lost Control”

not a fan.

transformers
Metallica, “For Whom The Bell Tolls”

not a fan of either.

W
Cream, “Sunshine of Your Love”

pretty catchy.

englishozzy
Blink-182, “All the Small Things”

probably the only Blink 182 song that I can listen to without running away.

BarcaRulz
Nine Inch Nails, “The Hand That Feeds”

while i have a few NIN songs on my ipod (I know, shocker ;) ) tehy are only random songs that I've heard and liked, I've never really listened to them. Not sure if i would say it was great, but there was some catchy stuff in there that made me like it.

Ron Burgundy
The Strokes, “You Only Live Once”

nice, I liked it. It reminded me of a song though, and it's driving me crazy that I can't think of it.

Chienfantome
Interpol, “Rest My Chemistry”

I dodn't like it as much as the interpol song that #6 posted but it was still good. might just have to check out the band some more.

Frendo
ICP, “Terrible”

oh my word....

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #7

leestu/Buscemi
John Lennon, “Imagine”
(1971) (also becs' #65)
Here it finally is! I was beginning to wonder if anyone else at all actually liked this song after the middling response I got and the seeming endless rounds of it not appearing. Good to know I'm not the only one who this it is a masterpiece.

Shrykespeare
Talk Talk, “Tomorrow Started”
(1984, but also recorded live in 1986)
INTENSE... loved it.

NSpan
Jerry Jeff Walker, “London Homesick Blues”

Sorry, it was a bit ridiculous. I didn't like it. I don't dismiss country, there is country I like, but it doesn't sound like this.

Numbersix
Sam Cooke, “A Change is Gonna Come”
(1964) (also Nspan's #21)
Still a very beautiful song.

Geezer
The Offspring, “The Kids Aren't Alright”
(also becs' #74)
And again, excellent taste!

undeadmonkey
Josh Turner, “The Longer the Waiting (The Sweeter the Kiss)”

Amazing voice, but I wasn't a fan of the music. I'd love to hear him take on some irish folk tunes.

silversurfer
Pixies, “Debaser”
(also leestu's #101)
I don't remember what I said last time, but I liked it, still not my favorite song from these guys that has been posted in the list so far though.

transformers
Jimi Hendrix, “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)”
(also Geezer's #86)
Still really amazing track that I just can't get into much.

W
Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
(also Geezer's #80 and BarcaRulz's #19)
nooope.

englishozzy
Snow Patrol, “Chocolate”

This song drives me batty, I can't decide whether to love or hate it every time I hear it, which is alot with how over played it has been. BUT admittedly the line sung "this is the straw, final straw" is so pretty it stabs right to the heart.

BarcaRulz
Oasis, “Don't Look Back in Anger”

Definitely like parts, but its mostly the same ol' Oasis.

Ron Burgundy
Phoenix, “Lisztomania”

Has this shown up before? I swear it did. I quite like it though, it pops up on one of my pandora stations all the time.

Chienfantome
Radiohead, “Exit Music (For a Film)”
(also silversurfer's #34)
Excellent work from these guys as always, but nowhere near their best for me. This song has a certain ethereal quality I can't resist, its pretty amazing.

Frendo
U2, “Angel of Harlem”

nice enough, but it didn't really do anything for me.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

becs wrote:
undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Las De La Intuicion”

"instead of being overtly sexual as a lot of Shakira videos are this one relies more on teasing." Waaaaaat? that was probably the most sexual of all the ones you've posted. Anyway, the song didn't do much for me, it was boring, and the video was cheap and trashy, I'm honestly embarrassed for her. Your last one from her was better.
maybe for you in this case, less is more. Either way, I don't want to be known for liking her because I think she's hot, My next songs by her all about her music, so I probably won't even get the 'at least she's hot' comment from the other guys on here, but oh well :D

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote: leestu: R.E.M., “Everybody Hurts” (1993) (also englishozzy's #48 and BarcaRulz's #22) - I knew this would be in a Top 10, but I didn't think it would be you, strangely. Thought you'd pick something more left-of-field. Still, hard to criticise anything about this song besides it being overplayed. Good stuff.
Yeah...apart from a couple of songs my top 10 is pretty stock standard fare that you would find on a lot of people's top songs lists. Don't know why......I guess they are just universally great songs that have stood the test of time.
NSpan wrote:leestu/Buscemi -- John Lennon, “Imagine” (1971)
Very pleasant (and soothing) song. FAR from Lennon's best. Over-analyzed as hell--especially considering the fact that it is, essentially, a glorified throwaway. (I'm sure some will disagree, but I'm set on this one). All that said, it's still a good song.

Do you feel like listing some of your favourite/best Lennon songs? I am not asking to debate or disagree but I quite like a lot of Lennon's solo stuff (sorry to disappoint, but more than any other Beatles solo work) and as you seem to be our resident Beatles connoisseur/expert I am curious as to what ones you rate highly.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here we go, folks. The home stretch. The cream of the crop. The pinnacle, the apex, the zenith. The best songs in a lifetime of listening.

SONG #5

Shrykespeare
The Earons, “Land of Hunger”
(1984)

I seriously doubt any of you will have heard this song before. But if you've seen this group before, even once, odds are you'll remember them, because of their gimmick, which, if this is all new to you, won't take you long to figure out. In the early 80's, when the art of video-making was still its infancy, this video always stood out to me as being one of the coolest and cheesiest ever made. Watching it now, I think it's even more cheesy, but in a completely, totally and all-encompassingly awesome way. But more than that, the song itself is amazing, blending rock, funk and reggae in a completely unique (albeit “80s”) style. The intro is just KILLER. I know I'm not the only fan of this group, but imagine my surprise when a comment I made on YouTube for this song was answered by an actual member of The Earons, who directed me to a blog that had been started (http://earons.net), and which included some previously unreleased material. Check it out if you like this!

(Hey, just 'cause you're a slave in some dystopian refinery doesn't mean you can't have perfect hair...) ;)

NSpan
The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon”

The first time I heard this, I assumed it was a Beatles song that had somehow flown under my radar. Throughout the countdown, I've argued that the Kinks were heir-apparent to the rock'n'roll throne – but those rascally mop-topped Beatles pulled the rug from under them. Ultimately, it was for the best. But it's a damn shame that the Kinks' legacy is so diminished in comparison to the overwhelming force that is THE BEATLES. Anyway, I'm confident that this song is proof of my claim that the Kinks were deservedly in the same league as those guys. One final note: Ray Davies is still in top-form. So, if he tours anywhere near your hometown, GO SEE HIM! And, after the show, shake his hand and encourage him to reunite with his brother Dave for a Kinks reunion tour.

Numbersix
Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines”
(1978)

I became a fan of Tom Waits from hearing his odd industrial jazz stomps that became known as his later career. And I still love his ability to tear apart music and create distinct, beautiful music. But I can’t ignore how great he was when he was playing it “straight” in the 70’s. The pinnacle of his jazz-and-blues years is this song, the title track of the 1978 album. This is a song for the lonely, for all those who have loved, lost, and been left with a bitter taste. A solemn guitar strums along with Tom, the music simple but never dull, emphasizing the sense of isolation. But the real spine-tingling moment comes towards the end, when he booms “It takes a whole lotta whiskey/ to make these nightmares go away”, giving you the sense that we’re getting far more than Tom’s wall of irony. My only criticism is that Tom pretty much used every single metaphor for heart-break in one song alone!

Geezer
The Who, “Baba O'Riley”

The Who's ultimate masterpiece. An epic song that is thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. When those piano notes break into Kieth Moon's drums, then Daltry just nails it with those vocals, while Townshend just wails that now famous guitar riff, its perfection. It doesn't wander on too long like some of their songs, it is just right. It has been one of my favorite songs pretty much my entire life, and it will never fall out of that. Easily my favorite song from one of the top 5 bands of all time. Just don't call it “Teenage Wasteland.”

becs
Silverchair, “Ana's Song”

My favorite and final Silverchair song of the countdown. Ultimately I feel an intense connection with Daniel Johns, the reason that he is so well loved as a musician is that his writing is so transparent and raw. Having wrestled with virtually all of the issues he sings about throughout the band's career (well, except for the difficulties of fame), so he often put to words things I couldn't even begin to explain about myself.

As far as this song in particular, his openness about something that was rarely talked about at the time is incredible. Both lyrically in the song and visually in the video you get a mixture of in-your face-directness on the topic and a smattering of metaphors, all utterly true and cutting straight to the heart. For me this is easily the most likely song in my countdown to bring a tear to my eye

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Tu”

Although Shakira is truly gifted at dancing and performing, she is an amazing singer as well. Most people who don't like her cannot get past her unique and full voice to really listen and see that she really can sing. She has an amazing and unique voice which is really powerful when allowed to shine. Although her last album was a lot more about the dancing and dance music (which I'm not complaining about), I'm sure her new album coming out later this year will be a return to form from the Shakira of the past, if the songs that have been posted on YouTube are of any indication. Also I'm a little tempted to post the lyrics but I doubt it'll make any of you like it any more. Not because they are bad but I think they will get lost in the translation. Shakira is a unique lyricist and it's tough trying to translate all the nuances and meanings of what she is trying to say. So just know that this song is about love, and what you would give up to keep that love forever. I posted the live version so that you could soak up the emotion and hear her great voice. I also added the link to studio version, just in case you wanted to compare.

studio version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHv07UYpOcY

leestu
Metallica, “One”
(1989) (also Ron Burgundy's #68 and Buscemi's #8)

This might surprise some as a pick of mine but I had a year of uni with a mate who played nothing but Metallica and I was slowly converted.

Buscemi
Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall”
(Part 2 also Geezer's #58 and becs' #35)

Yes, all eleven minutes of it. Seriously, this is the only way to listen to this song. Definitely Pink Floyd's shining moment.

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Street Spirit”

We now reach my absolute favourite song from Radiohead, another song which I was introduced to in high school. I mentioned in another thread that “Gouge Away” may be one of the best closers to an album ever. Well that may be, if this song didn't exist. Every time I hear this song I am mesmerized. From the piano intro to Thom's vocals (which I feel have never been better), this song is absolutely without fault. It's haunting, troubling, beautiful, full of despair. Every emotion seeps from it. Chien is bound to love it, it reeks with melancholy. Thom once mentioned that it was “fighting with the Devil and losing every time”. He supposedly doesn't like to play this one live, as he puts so much anguish into the song, yet he sees the crowd in such an emphatic mood, I guess that's one of the problems of making such an ominous song so beautiful. And I can't not mention the video in this also, possibly one of the greatest ever, perfectly complements the song with such delightful choreography.

transformers
The Doors, “Peace Frog”
(also W's #73)

This is a highly underrated song by The Doors. It has all of the things that make them so special Jim Morrison's amazing vocal, great riff and awesome rhythm sections. (Note: The song ends at 2:51)

W
Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”

Ahhh... Dwight and Buck. Though thirty-some years apart, both of them drew their inspiration from Bakersfield, California more than Nashville, which is why this song fits accordingly. And whoever thought Dwight and Keith Whitley sound the same should listen to them back to back. It's like saying Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis sound the same just because both are rock-a-billy.

englishozzy
Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar”

Jimmy Eat World at their best, another band that helped steer my music taste in the 90's and punk/alt rock music like this will always stay close to my heart.

BarcaRulz
AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”

My favorite AC/DC song, and it don't get much better than this. AC/DC flexing all their muscles on this one, even making bagpipes sound fucking cool!

Ron Burgundy
Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance”

Top stuff from a New Aussie band, just so original and catchy. I really recommend people seek their stuff out. It's all different. But great space rock. Watched them live earlier in the year and they didn't disappoint.

Chienfantome
Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”

I don’t remember when I first got interested in Elliott Smith’s music. Which song got me hooked? I know “Between the bars” was featured in Good Will Hunting, but I don’t remember the song in the film, and I don’t remember admiring the song right after having seen the film. It came later. It came strong. It came in a moment of pure spleen, upon hearing this simple guitar sound, this melancholic and almost whispering voice. When it comes to beautiful songs that put you in a spleeny mood, you can’t go without Elliott Smith, who will always be a dearly missed musician. I could listen to this song ten times in a row and not feel tired of it. This is a simple piece of music, but like in any form of art, sometimes, the simpler is the better.

Frendo
Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”

Great band that wasn’t given their due respect during the mid-90’s. This is one of the songs that never gets old for me. The chorus is unbelievably awesome.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:Do you feel like listing some of your favourite/best Lennon songs? I am not asking to debate or disagree but I quite like a lot of Lennon's solo stuff (sorry to disappoint, but more than any other Beatles solo work) and as you seem to be our resident Beatles connoisseur/expert I am curious as to what ones you rate highly.
Surely. For the record, I never said "Imagine" is a bad song by any standard--just that it's overrated within Lennon's catalogue. I made a Lennon mix CD for a friend a while back. She wanted an "intro" to his solo career--so I held back on the obscure/live/demo type stuff. Here's the playlist I chose:

Free As A Bird
Real Love
Bring On The Lucie (Freda Peeple)
Crippled Inside
John Sinclair
Oh Yoko!
Instant Karma!
How Do You Sleep?
Hold On
Dear Yoko
Mind Games
Mother
Oh My Love
One Day (At A Time)
Woman
Working Class Hero
Ya Ya
Watching the Wheels
Happy Xmas (War is Over)
Power to the People
Woman Is The Nigger Of The World

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

SONG #5

Shrykespeare
The Earons, “Land of Hunger” (1984)

Haha, funny video. The song started off pretty good, but towards the end i couldn't stop thinking of generic 80's music, it got a bit boring. But still it did have a killer intro, not bad overall. 7/10

NSpan
The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon”

I doubt The kinks frontman will ever come to Perth Nspan, but ill do what you asked and get them reunite if they ever do come by. This was great, i hadn't heard it in a long time, it even needed 2 listens. Top pick. 8.5/10

Numbersix
Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines” (1978)

Whats with that voice? I couldnt get into it. That said, it had some good bits but overall, its not a memorable song for me. 4.5/10

Geezer
The Who, “Baba O'Riley”

Yeah, its probably their best, i like this song. 7.5/10

becs
Silverchair, “Ana's Song”

I hope you know Daniel Johns is a self obsessed cock becs, cause he may write good music but ive seen him at a random pub in Perth once, and he was way drunk with a silly (and not very hot) ho hanging off him while he tried to stand up talking shit and disgusting every one around him. That said, this is a pretty good song haha, and i like the old silverchair (before he got all up himself). 7.5/10

undeadmonkey
Shakira, Tu

Meh. Sorry UDM, i really hate her voice sometimes. I guess i wasn't in the mood. 2/10

leestu
Metallica, “One” (1989) (also Ron Burgundy's #68 and Buscemi's #8)

Awesome song. 10/10

Buscemi
Pink Floyd, “Another Brick In The Wall” (Part 2 also Geezer's #58 and becs' #35)

Ive heard it before a few times and ill say it again, its so bloody long! But its ok. 6.5/10

silversurfer
Radiohead, “Street Spirit”

You just cant go wrong with Radiohead, they are the best alt rockers ever. 9/10

transformers
The Doors, “Peace Frog” (also W's #73)

Indeed one i haven't heard, it was really good too. Well done transformas. 8/10

W
Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield”
i just realised how much i hate country. This is not good for my ears. 1.5/10

englishozzy
Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar”

I heard them live this year, and this was easily their best song. i dont really like the band much, but this was something special. 8/10

BarcaRulz
AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top”

Great pick mate, such a good song. 9.5/10

Chienfantome
Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars”
Im sure i know a song of his that may be more popular, but this sounded similar, i didn't mind it. But it was a bit lacklustre. 6.5/10

Frendo
Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin’ On a Hole in a Paper Heart”

Good song, since the first listen i liked it. Since then, like you said, it never gets old. 8/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Frendo – Stone Temple Pilots, “Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart” – Much, MUCH better, Frendo. Another song I kick ass on the karaoke version, and quite a surprise to find here. This is my second-favorite song you've posted (after “Watching the Wheels”). Well done. (9)

Geezer – The Who, “Baba O'Riley” – Great song. And as a bonus, here is the best use of a Who song EVER on TV. (The first part of the video is the actual scene from the show, and then it goes right into a fanvid.) (9)

Buscemi – Pink Floyd, “Another Brick in the Wall” – I remember hearing this song for the first time when I was eleven. A song about how much school sucks... seriously, how could you be a schoolkid and not love it? (8)

silversurfer – Radiohead, “Street Spirit” – How about this: this is the THIRTEENTH different Radiohead song to appear on our countdown (and there will be a fourteenth coming up later), by TEN different people. That is far and away the most by any artist. This song wasn't my favorite of the bunch, but it was good. (7)

becs – Silverchair, “Ana's Song” – I haven't liked a lot of your songs from these guys, but this was quite good. (7)

englishozzy – Jimmy Eat World, “Salt, Sweat, Sugar” – Pretty good. “The Middle” is still my favorite J.E.W. Song, though. (7)

Chienfantome – Elliott Smith, “Between the Bars” – Definitely feeling the spleen. Reminded me of classic Simon & Garfunkel. (7)

Ron Burgundy – Children Collide, “Skeleton Dance” – Didn't care much for the first minute, but it got a little better at the end.. (6)

Barca Rulz – AC/DC, “It's a Long Way to the Top” – You're right, the bagpipes were cool. Far cooler, in fact, than the parts without them. (6)

leestu – Metallica, “One” – Just can't get into it as much as a lot of other Metallica. (6)

W – Dwight Yoakam and Buck Owens, “Streets of Bakersfield” – Surprisingly, the part I liked the best was the accordion. Weird. (5)

NSpan – The Kinks, “Sunny Afternoon” – It does sound the Beatles, doesn't it? Well, even if it was, I'd only just barely like it. (5)

transformers – The Doors, “Peace Frog” – I don't like most Doors, and that includes this song. (5)

numbersix – Tom Waits, “Blue Valentines” – I wanted to love this, but I just never got there. (5)

undeadmonkey – Shakira, “Tu” – I can sense the emotion in her voice, but her voice didn't bring any out in me. (4)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)