Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Post by Shrykespeare »

No music JUST yet, fellas, that's still a few hours away. But before we resume our countdown in earnest, I have a couple of announcements.

Regarding this thread's "contest", I'm still missing the 11-14 songs for both NSpan and becs. It's possible they might send me their selections in the next few hours, but if not, then the contest will proceed without them.

If my calendar is correct, by starting at #20 tonight, I will post our #2 song on the evening of Sunday, July 11th. After that, I have decided that we will follow W's suggestion and, instead of posting everybody's #1 song on the same day, we, starting on July 15th, post one person's #1 song only, and then one person the next day, and so on. In short, one #1 song per day for 17 days.

In order to make things even more fun, let me ask you this... have you told any of your non-Fantaversian friends about our little musical showcase? Friends, co-workers, family members, significant others? I would imagine most (if not all) of you have, so here's an idea: ask the people closest to you what THEIR all-time favorite song is, and, on whatever day your "turn" falls on, right underneath your selection will appear theirs, in whatever order you want. (And if the prospect of picking an all-time favorite is too much, just have them pick any song that they dearly love). If they do participate, you can provide them with a day and a time where their choice will be posted. It may just get some other people interested in this site. They may also, of course, provide an introductory paragraph if they want to.

I, as your humble moderator, am exercising my executive powers and am slotting myself into the last day. I started this thing, I want to be the one to finish it. (I trust none of you have a problem with that, and if you do, well, you can send your complaints right to my spam filter. :twisted: )

Geezer, you waited to hear what your "prize" is, so here it is: since you won the last thread's contest, you get to choose first which day you want your #1 song (along with any friends) played. Whoever wins this thread's contest will get to pick second. Surfer, who won the first "contest", will get to pick third. After that, I'll randomly draw names out of a hat until we have a day picked out for everybody.

So that's it for now. I will post everybody's Song #20 in about 4 1/2 hours.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Post by W »

I'm going to be gone at Disney from the 11th to the 18th. Is there any way I can make sure to get somewhere from the 21st on? I don't really care when I go, but the later on, the more back into the swing of things, less burned, and less exhausted I'll be.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Sorry but I'm done for the night Shryke, so you've got all yer gettin'.

As far as days, I don't really care when I go, however I will be gone July 21-25 if you want to work around that
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'll do my best to accommodate everyone.

In the meantime, here are the songs for this thread's "contest". NSpan and becs's songs will not be included, so try to match up the following 15
people:

Shrykespeare
numbersix
Geezer
undeadmonkey
leestu
Buscemi
silversurfer
transformers
W
Banks
englishozzy
BarcaRulz
Ron Burgundy
Chienfantome
Frendo

With the following fifteen songs:

Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1evzhSast8

Bauhaus, Bela Lugosi's Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRED67S57gg

Dishwalla, Candleburn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjfpyiyVQ00

Tori Amos, Caught a Lite Sneeze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnHWaMMBCmM

Hole, Doll Parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mEbVJxsMQM

Ray Charles, Georgia On My Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thls_tMuFkc

Mstrkrft, Heartbreaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6gHLHbYVeA

Fuel, Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HP9bv2DOw

The White Stripes, Hotel Yorba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPEUyiNcjA

Eve 6, Inside Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Xb_7YDroQ

Black Sabbath, Iron Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjbMVXj0F8

Allman Brothers Band, Jessica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfM6nRVBvGs

Stiff Little Fingers, Suspect Device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHx22hTGUA

Placebo, Twenty Years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZjAIyxoPs

Jedi Mind Tricks, Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r0KpWMNxnM

Send me your first picks by PM or e-mail. Thanks. Song #20 to follow.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#1

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay guys, we have now reached sacred ground. Be very wary in your comments from here on out.

SONG #20

Shrykespeare
Gary Numan, “Are 'Friends' Electric?”
(1979)

There are three songs in my Top 20 that are almost entirely done on synthesizer(s), and this is one of them. I remember being blown away by the synth wizardry of “Cars” in the early 80's; Numan seemed to be a man way ahead of his time, anticipating a future when synths and machine music would take over. (Did that actually happen? You be the judge.) Anyway, it's this song that just continues to floor me with its amazing synth riffs and precise timing. The lyrics deal with isolation and paranoia, which were typical of Numan's music at the time. This is my favorite version, from his live album Scarred, which I was happy to upload onto YouTube myself. While you're critiquing this, just consider how different this song must have sounded in 1979.

NSpan
The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
(1970) (also Buscemi's #96 and numbersix's #57)

All you protest kids – some (snooty) purists might dismiss Loadedas VU's "pop" album.... but fuck those guys. That record is the shit. "Sweet Jane" is my third-favorite Velvet Underground song – ever. Those first two albums were purely experimental. That isn't to say that there aren't several gems to be found on them, but Loadedand the eponymous album exhibit earnest attempts at accessible songwriting by Lou Reed – a talent that he didn't embrace nearly often enough.

Numbersix
The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
(1966)

I know this is going to disgust some of you, but I personally find Pet Sounds to be superior to any album by The Beatles. These guys managed to fuse pop sensibilities to genuine emotive lyrics and vocal performances. They make it sound easy without sounding frivolous. And “God Only Knows” is their crowning achievement. Simple lyrics suit the touching sentiment, but the music is superb, taking in organs and all sorts of wind and string instruments. But the best wind instruments are the harmonizing vocals that swirl together into an overwhelming climax.

Geezer
Straylight Run, “Existentialism on Prom Night”

Most of you are thinking "What the hell is Geezer on?" But I think the song is truly one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever recorded and every time I hear it I just get lost in it. Its amazing, lyrically and musically.

becs
Foo Fighters, “Everlong”
(also leestu's #73 and Geezer's #50)

You will find many of my top 20 are nostalgically linked to my first experiences sneaking MTV. It was all new to me, so many of the songs played at the time have stuck with me as favorites till now, this song included. I absolutely love the video, it is so bizarre and fun. The music is both heavy and almost hypnotic to me. The chorus is so passionate, and there is great writing on the lyrics throughout.

undeadmonkey
Avril Lavigne, “I'm With You”

I know I'll get a lot of shit for this one but I don't care, just add it onto the pile. To be honest, If I was making the list today, it wouldn't be so high, more 50s or so. I guess I was feeling a bit more nostalgic that day then today. Either way this song is on the list not because I think it's a quality tune but because of what it means to me and what I was going through at the time. and that's all I care to say about that, so get your tomatoes ready... ;)

leestu
Soundgarden, “Jesus Christ Pose”
(1991)

This is Soundgarden at their powerful best in this song about the exploitation of religious imagery for personal gain. Love the guitar work at the beginning where the song sounds like all the instruments are trying to come together, and then they succeed with a great riff and the song takes off from there as Cornell joins in with some forceful screaming vocals.

Buscemi
Electric Light Orchestra, “Showdown”

silversurfer
Bob Dylan, “Ballad Of A Thin Man”
(1965)

http://www.tu.tv/videos/bob-dylan-ballad-of-a-thin-man

transformers
Children Of Bodom, “Kissing The Shadows”

This should be a happy moment for all of you, as it's the last straight death metal song on my list! This song stands out to me due to its catchy riffs, excellent guitar-work, and best of all, a dueling guitar/keyboard solo at the end.

W
Nirvana, “The Man Who Sold the World”

This cover of a Bowie song may not be their best, but it is my favorite from them.

Banks
Will Smith, “Summertime”

Easily one of the most seasonal songs of all-time (well, hell, it’s named after a season), this is the song that I play in my car to the beach or to the nearest theme park. It’s relaxing and light – just like summer.

englishozzy
Linkin Park, “My December”

This song was never officially released of any album and came as a bonus song on the 'One Step Closer' single. I don't know why i like this song, i think its just something that Linkin Park did different to their normal stuff at the time, although their recent Minutes to Midnight album showed you a new style similar to this song.

BarcaRulz
Hunters and Collectors, “Holy Grail”

I don't think it's possible to live in Australia and not know (or even like) this song. Yes, it is sometimes overplayed here down under, but I still love it, and every time it is on I always crank up the volume.

Ron Burgundy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Scar Tissue”

Well this song brings me back, i guess its one of those sentimental songs that many of us will be bringing here, i remember watching the music video early on Saturday mornings and just feeling song relaxed. It is a timeless masterpiece.

Chienfantome
Bob Dylan, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”

What I can’t stand about this song, is that so many people believe it’s a song by Guns N' Roses. You tell them “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”, and they think about that band, like they have never heard the original, and far superior version, by Bob Dylan. Dylan is a singer and composer I highly admire, and this is my favourite song of his. A song that manages to be very bitter, both in its music and its lyrics, but at the same brings, by its rhythm, a sentiment of energy. A bitter energy that suits me well. (I'm sorry, it seems impossible to get a studio version of the song on YouTube, there are thousands of cover versions, and a couple of live versions, here's the best of them...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJpB_AEZf6U
(try this if the above doesn't work, it's all I could find on YouTube)

Frendo
AFI, “Silver and Cold”

East Bay punk once again, although this song came about after their punk days. Probably won’t get much love from this crowd, but love the melody and feel of the track.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

My thoughts on my pick: Bob Dylan, "Ballad Of A Thin Man"

Not one of Dylan's most famous songs, but for me it is the highlight of Highway 61 Revisited. Although there are many interpretations of the lyrics, the one I have always found which sits best with me is that it is a slur on a Rolling Stone interviewer who knew little about music when he interviewed Dylan, despite his supposed education and position in society. The lyrics are biting, Dylan's vocals snarl and the decending bass chord which flirts with the listener throughout provides an eerie backdrop to the lyrics. I don't think a Dylan song has ever hit me as hard as this one, and for that reason this song will always hold a certain power over me; an ominous, looming shadow of a song, simple but so, so effective.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

some great picks guys, I probably wont be able to critique until next week. but from reading over the list, I think 6's is going to be my favorite. Although you never know if there's a new song that could sneak up in there, but i doubt it, I mean it's the beach boys.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Gary Numan, “Are 'Friends' Electric?” (1979) - I dunno, Shryke, Kraftwerk and Can were doing well in the mid 70's so I doubt this would have come as a complete shock. It's a nice riff (just like Cars), but it gets a little repetitive.

NSpan:The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane” (1970) (also Buscemi's #96 and numbersix's #57) - 3rd favourite VU song? so there's 2 more to come? Can't wait. I obviously love this song, it's the highlight of Loaded for me. I prefer their other albums above this, but that's not to say Loaded isn't a great record. Great choice.

Geezer: Straylight Run, “Existentialism on Prom Night” - I had to listen to this and UDM's pick both separately on Youtube as the versions here don't work (this occurs very often for me), and for a moment I played yours and thought it was UDM's pick. Until the vocals kicked in of course. Corny music, corny lyrics, and it doesn't even have decent vocals to back it up. Not my cup o' tea.

becs: Foo Fighters, “Everlong” (also leestu's #73 and Geezer's #50) - Definitely one of the Foo's better songs, so nice pick. Interesting that no one has picked anything from their first record.

undeadmonkey: Avril Lavigne, “I'm With You” - "Here's your Christmas present, little Avril", "Oh thank you Poppa Lavigne!" [opens box] "Oh my, it's a music-by-numbers kit. It's just what I wanted!".

leestu: Soundgarden, “Jesus Christ Pose” (1991) - I don't know much about early Soundgarden, but this was pretty decent. It's pretty strong rock, if not borderline metal, but I kinda liked it.

Buscemi: Electric Light Orchestra, “Showdown” - there's something nice about this song, but there is a whiff of dad rock to it, so it's not something I'd ever want to get into.

silversurfer: Bob Dylan, “Ballad Of A Thin Man” (1965) - Great, great song, if not the highlight of Highway 61 Revisited. I can only imagine how the hippies reacted to this. There's a real anger to this song, not just in the lyrics, but in the way the piano is hammered on. I also think the lyrics are much more than a rant directed at a rock critic.

transformers: Children Of Bodom, “Kissing The Shadows” - Double-yikes. Totally OTT. It's like the Cristina Aguilera for angry boys.

W: Nirvana, “The Man Who Sold the World” - not sure I get what you mean about it not being their best but being your favourite. How can you differentiate? Anyway, it's an excellent cover of an excellent original.

Banks: Will Smith, “Summertime” - It's funny, but Will Smith's music like this just sounds quaint more than anything else. I guess it hasn't aged well.

englishozzy: Linkin Park, “My December” - Wow, you really are showing the other side of Linkin Park. Instead of the horrid rap-metal hybrid that hurts my ears, bland ballads like this bore me to tears!

BarcaRulz: Hunters and Collectors, “Holy Grail” - The guitar melody reminded me of something else. It really did sound like another song. Apart from that it was average for me.

Ron Burgundy: Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Scar Tissue” - I think this was the first RHCP of their later phase. I always used to say there wasn't much difference between later RHCP and any LA bunch of kids who play rock in the garage, but this song has grown on me. It's very nice.

Chienfantome: Bob Dylan, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” - Two Dylan tunes in one post, that's pretty good going. It's a shame that Columbia or Sony or whoever decided to block all of Dylan's music on Youtube. The dude has enough money as it is. Still, you picked an excellent version of the song. It's a very good song, a little anthemic for Dylan, but nonetheless excellent. Better than the GNR cover!

Frendo: AFI, “Silver and Cold” - sorry Frendo, this is definitely not for me. You're right, it's not punk, it's more like generic college rock. I just found it all very forgettable.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

numbersix wrote:BarcaRulz: Hunters and Collectors, “Holy Grail” - The guitar melody reminded me of something else. It really did sound like another song. Apart from that it was average for me.
It seems you, like many before you (myself included) have heard the similarities in the guitar to Bostons "More than a Feeling".

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare
Gary Numan, “Are 'Friends' Electric?” (1979) - Synth is not my cup of tea.

NSpan
The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane” (1970) (also Buscemi's #96 and numbersix's #57) - still good.

Numbersix
The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” (1966) - this is a FANTASTIC song.

undeadmonkey
Avril Lavigne, “I'm With You” - at least you acknowledge that its not a good song.

leestu
Soundgarden, “Jesus Christ Pose” (1991) - never been one of my favorite soundgarden tracks I'm afraid.

Buscemi
Electric Light Orchestra, “Showdown” - Didn't like it at all I'm afraid

silversurfer
Bob Dylan, “Ballad Of A Thin Man” (1965) - I couldn't listen to it because of the shitty ad on the site it was on.

transformers
Children Of Bodom, “Kissing The Shadows” - This is beyond stupid.

W
Nirvana, “The Man Who Sold the World” - Absolutely love it, excellent choice.

Banks
Will Smith, “Summertime” - I love Will Smith and his anti-gangsta rap

englishozzy
Linkin Park, “My December” - Ugh, I hate to sound like a snob, but I have to do it here. It sounds like I've heard this before, without actually hearing it before. Generic.

Ron Burgundy
Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Scar Tissue” - I wouldn't exactly call it a "timeless masterpiece" but its alright.

BarcaRulz
Hunters and Collectors, “Holy Grail” - Hey, it DOES sound like it ripped off More than a Feeling! I thought it was pretty good.

Chienfantome
Bob Dylan, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” - To be honest, I thought clapton did the original, and I have never heard this one. Its about on par with the other two.

Frendo
AFI, “Silver and Cold” - I absolutely love this album, but this is far from the best track on it in my opinion. If you had posted "This Celluloid Dream," you would have reigned in praise of the highest order from the Geez. But alas...
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Gary Numan, “Are 'Friends' Electric?”
Considering the year this came out this song sounded very modern and i quite enjoyed it. The music was more appealing to me than the actual singer though. 7/10
NSpan - The Velvet Underground, “Sweet Jane”
Couldn't remember this song being played in the countdown let only twice, this probably tells you that it doesn't have a lasting impression on me. Although saying that, it's not a bad song. 6/10
Numbersix - The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
A very corny song in my eyes but still dont mind listening to it. Very simple song and if i listen closely there is a lot more going on there that what it portrays. 6/10
Geezer - Straylight Run, “Existentialism on Prom Night”
Actually really liked this song. Have never heard of this band before so wouldn't mind if you give me some more songs i could download for these guys?? 8/10
becs - Foo Fighters, “Everlong”
Definately one of the of my favourite Fighter's song, Unfortunately this had lost out on my own list but they have so many good songs it was near on impossible to get them all in. Interstingly enough this band is huge over here is Australia. 8/10
undeadmonkey - Avril Lavigne, “I'm With You”
I feel this girl has gone past her sell-by-date a long long time ago but has managed to stay in the game for so long so she must be doing something write. I do admit that some of her stuff can be a bit too catchy but they lose their gloss pretty quickly in my eyes. 4/10
leestu - Soundgarden, “Jesus Christ Pose”
Very good pick, i had completely forgotten about this song before you posted it up here. This is the song that got me into Chris Cornell, although i do prefer his Audioslave era this still holds a place in my heart. 8/10
Buscemi - Electric Light Orchestra, “Showdown”
Sorry but this song didn't really click with me, something about the music reminded me too much of the music in the 80's which sound too similar to me. 4/10
silversurfer - Bob Dylan, “Ballad Of A Thin Man”
I have been fortunate enough to listen to some fine music from this guy on this thread, and this is another one i really liked. It's taken me nearly 24 years to appreciate Bob Dylan's music but slowly im getting through his catalogue and some of his stuff is just out of this world, it just shows how good he is when someone like me, with my genre of music, can enjoy something like this. 8/10
transformers - Children Of Bodom, “Kissing The Shadows”
I must admit that at one stage i did listen to these guys when i was younger, although probably the only reason was because my girlfriend at the time was into this band. Not one i really liked though. 4/10
W - Nirvana, “The Man Who Sold the World”
I haven't actually heard of this song before you posted it on this thread, even the Davd Bowie version. I quite liked it though but i will reserve all judgment until i listen to Bowie's version. 7/10
Banks - Will Smith, “Summertime”
Was good when it came out but that is about it, as aged very badly and i probably prefer if he sticks to acting. If i had to picky a 'Willie' song it would probably be 'Switch'. 4/10
BarcaRulz - Hunters and Collectors, “Holy Grail”
I dont think it has been played nearly as much as other songs out there and i still enjoy it everytime i listen to it, must admit it has slightly aged a bit but still a great tune. 7/10
Ron Burgundy - Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Scar Tissue”
Im surprised with how little this band has shown up on our countdown's, would of thought these guys would of been more popular but oh well i cant complain, i have only got one song of theirs on mine aswell. Good pick. 8/10
Chienfantome - Bob Dylan, “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”
Bob Dylan may be the original writer but you must admit that Guns n Roses did a pretty good take on the song, it is impossible to compare the two songs as they both play out completely different. Me personally, love both versions equally. 9/10
Frendo - AFI, “Silver and Cold”
I can understand how a lot of people are not going to like this song, especially the likes of six and nspan but i think you made a good choice from this band. They can be a bit commercial sometimes, especially with their 'December Underground' album but this song shows whats good about them. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Frendo, so very glad to see you pick that song! I realized too late that it should have been in my somewhere 80-100 range personally. I absolutely love the song (I predict positive reviews from shryke as well), the chorus is very 80s-esque, which is I believe what they were going for on that album. When the song popped into my head a couple weeks ago, I cringed at having not included it, but then I was trying to remember what band it was and my mind immediately jumped to my favorite 80s synth pop bands, though I knew it wasn't.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

numbersix wrote:[
W: Nirvana, “The Man Who Sold the World” - not sure I get what you mean about it not being their best but being your favourite. How can you differentiate? Anyway, it's an excellent cover of an excellent original.
I think "quality" and "like" aren't as strongly correlated as other people do. For instance, I haven't been able to get through the film "Airplane." It's a great film, I can see that it is good, but I don't find it funny. With that said, I like some truely god awful comedies that I wouldn't consider in the same league os Airplane, but like a tremendous amount more. Same thing for 2001.

I like "The Man That Sold the World" slightly better than "Smells Like Teen Spirit," but I would never say it is better. "The Man That Sold the World" was written by Nirvana, so its telling a story they want to tell, it changed the face of music, and its probably the best song of the 90's. But.... I like "The Man that Sold the World" slightly better.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Dude, I think you're conflating what you call "good" and what you consider to be culturally significant. And they are certainly not the same thing. There's nothing wrong with saying you don't think Airplane is good, if you honestly don't like it and can back that up.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

That doesn't mean that its not good. It's much more of a quality piece than Freddy Got Fingered, but one I couldn't get through yet and the other one I watched for probably the 15th time last week. "Good" describes quality while "like" describes personal choice.