Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #9): #20-#11

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Sarah McLachlan, “Sweet Surrender” (1997) - Hey, don''t single me out, I wasn't the only one blasting Sarah! Still, you're right, the vocals are a lot better in this but that still doesn't make the song in any way interesting to me.

NSpan: The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun” (1969) - Maybe it's because I opened my curtains this morning to a sunny day (which is rare for me. Last June it did nothing but rain), but I really enjoy this song. Just light, catchy, and entertaining. A good double bill with this song would be The Velvet's Who Loves the Sun, just in case the ecstasy for the Beatles gets too much.

Geezer: ***Eve 6, “Inside Out”*** - didn't attribute this song to you in the game, I actually gave it to UDM! I'm afraid I didn't like this song at all. That hook you mention is just boring and repetitive, and it sounds very, very familiar. In fact there's another song that sounds exactly like this that I just don't konw the name of but I can play it in my head. It starts with the singer going "doo doo do-do". Anyone have any ideas?

becs: David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream” - Oh yeah, bonus props to you, Becs. Not only did you choose a Bowie song that isn't a single, but you picked one of the best songs off the Ziggy Stardust. Absolutely brilliant song, I love the melody during the "Keep your electric eye on me" part. Amazing stuff, and in my Top 3 Bowie songs.

undeadmonkey: Shakira, “Si Te Vas” - It was okay, but a little forgettable. She's done better, more distinct songs.

leestu: ***Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”*** (1979) - At first I thought this was a Shryke song, only because it's obviously 80's. However, this song reminded me more of the Depeche Mode song you picked, so it felt like you. I love this song. I don't know Bauhaus much, I always kind of wrote them off as a pretentious goth band, and while that can be applied to this song, I actually thought it was great. Elements of Joy Division were there in a good way. Good beat, very cool.

Buscemi: ***Black Sabbath, “Iron Man” - Yeah, what a riff. Just turn it up and let your mind be blown. good pick. It's a tad long, but the riff is so damn good I'll forgive them. And props to Jon Favreau for doing what I wished for and having this in the Iron Man soundtrack. In fact I felt the movie should have nothing but this song throughout the entire film.

silversurfer: The Stooges, “Search And Destroy” (1973) - First Sabbath, now this? I'm in rock heaven. As I mentioned, I saw Iggy a few weeks ago and he played all of Raw Power (not in order). This is my favourite song off it, it's just blistering. I love the way he screams "soembody gotta save my soul", it's just pure punk energy. I'd disagree that I find Fun House way more "urgent" than this record, but there's no disputing the genius of this song.

transformers: Nirvana, “Lithium” (also Ron Burgundy's #50, W's #44, Geezer's #30 and BarcaRulz's #14) - So this may be the most popular song between us all? Maybe I should make Paint it Black my #10-#1!

W: ***The Allman Brothers' Band, “Jessica”*** - I didn't even listen to this song before I guessed it was a W pick. Not my kinda thing, especially as I've known it all these years as the theme tune to Top Gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwX-KS1816c

Banks: Jay-Z, “Song Cry” - Well, at least the lyrics are okay (and it's good to see Jay-Z partly blame fame and fortune for the downfall of the relationship), but man, the music was so boring.

englishozzy: System of a Down, “Chop Suey” (also leestu's #47) - Not then, not now.

BarcaRulz: Oasis, “Some Might Say” - I'm no fan of Oasis, and I think the Gallagher brothers are a pair of asses, but when they write a good song you can't deny its quality, and this is pretty damn good.

Ron Burgundy: ***Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker”*** - Wow, I can't believe Jesse F. Keeler lay down his bass in the excellent Death From Above 1979 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofA8N3x ... re=related) to join this group. I'm sorry, but this song is such a lame attempt at indie-dance. A dull, predictable beat over a simple piano tune is something any idiot can do. Unexceptional on every level.

Chienfantome: Neil Young, “Philadelphia” - A suitably good somg to match a good film. Very tender, and one of Neil's best songs since the late 70's. Good pick!

And Shryke, the Sonic Youth song that Neil Young loved was Expressway to Yr Skull on their Evol record.

Frendo: Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me”- "We make you wanna kill cops/Cats hatin, 'cause they know I finga girls twats... Nobody gets a record deal, you gotta take that shit/ Treat the record label like a slut, then rape that bitch"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

frendo wrote:I'll just say it here that, for whatever reason, I like Lady Gaga. People always talk shit about her having a unique stageshow, but why does that make it bad? It's better than all these acts coming out looking and sounding the same. At least she's interesting, which is more than I could say for most else out now.

And her music is really good. The lyrics to her stuff (not all of it, granted, but certain songs I am thinking of) have interesting takes on the nature of love in modern society (Bad Romance) as well as other things. It also be noted that alot of her stuff is satiric in nature, though I'm not sure the 12 year old fans get that so much.

Shit, I'm tempted now to put all Lady Gaga songs for my top ten, just to get under people's skins :)
Hah, I hope you don't. But seriously, strip away the production of every one of her songs besides Poker Face and you get some of the most awful pop songs around at the moment. I don't think people talk shit about her "unique" stageshow. firstly, it's not unique, every pop act is doing that sort of shallow stageshow approach (Brittney and Cristina were doing it years ago). And secondly, it overshadows the music, which is sub par. Plus, her "satirical" lyrics are about as deep as a puddle. she thinsk she's smart, but songs like Telephone (or whatever it's called) are like a 6 year old's attempt at irony.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote: becs: Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here” - Very nice, certainly one of the better songs. However, more recently when I hear this I keep getting Jet's basic plagarism of the song on Move On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-jxbF_x40A, which kind of ruins my appreciation for the song a little. With fresh ears though, this is a classic.
I'm even gonna try and listen to that Jet song, but here's a treat: Sparklehorse (RIP) and Radiohead's Thom Yorke covering Wish You Were Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8P694v-NM

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Geezer says;
I do have one thing to ask though, which album are you referring to by "their debut," because they have released 5 albums.... and this is their fourth one. I actually thought their debut album (The Unraveling) is by far their weakest effort.
I actually quite like 'The Unraveling' with the stand-outs being 'Six Ways till Sunday' and 'Everchanging', its what got me hooked on them in the first place. But i do believe they went up to a whole new level when they released 'The Sufferer and the Witness'.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Buscemi – Black Sabbath, “Iron Man” – Easily my favorite Sabbath song of all time. And yes, I felt this way LONG before the movies came out. (9)

Chienfantome – Neil Young, “Philadelphia” – One of the most beautiful and memorable closing songs in recent memory. And this coming from someone who generally does not like Neil Young. Great choice, my friend. In fact, I've liked your last SIX songs... keep it up! (9)

Geezer – Eve 6, “Inside Out” – Always liked this song, enough to buy the album. Though I think I like “On the Roof Again” even more, it's still a very good listen. (8)

numbersix – Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” – My favorite Joy Division song, hands down. (8)

NSpan – The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun” – Always liked this one. Very cheerful. (8)

transformers – Nirvana, “Lithium” – FIVE times?! Of all the songs to appear five times, I can't believe it's this one. (8)

BarcaRulz – Oasis, “Some Might Say” – I usually find Oasis rather blah, but I really liked this. (7)

W – Allman Brothers Band, “Jessica” – Wow. All these years, I thought this song was just a lengthy intro to “Ramblin' Man”. Shows how wrong I was. Don't know if I'd call it “beautiful”, but it's very catchy and memorable. A true Southern Rock anthem. (7)

Ron Burgundy – Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker” – Remember, Ron, I like your electric/electronic songs. And this was pretty good too. (7)

leestu – Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi's Dead” – I kind of joined the game too late to get into Bauhaus, but I loved a lot of Peter Murphy's solo stuff (“Cuts You Up” is still an AWESOME song.) I wasn't as big into Love and Rockets (“So Alive” got really old really fast). Listening to this now is a lot like listening to Joy Division... a band that spawned so much that came after. And just like Joy Division, I just can't into it as much as its successors. (6)

becs – David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream” – Didn't really affect me one way or the other. (5)

Frendo – Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me” – I liked parts of this, and other parts I hated. Zero sum. (5)

undeadmonkey – Shakira, “Si Te Vas” – Apart from the language barrier, I didn't think that much of the song. (4)

englishozzy – System of a Down, “Chop Suey” – Didn't care for it at all. (4)

silversurfer – The Stooges, “Search and Destroy” – Never been a fan of Iggy or the Stooges. (4)

Banks – Jay-Z, “Song Cry” – I listened to it, but I just can't get into 99.9999% of this genre. (3)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

frendo wrote:I'll just say it here that, for whatever reason, I like Lady Gaga. People always talk shit about her having a unique stageshow, but why does that make it bad? It's better than all these acts coming out looking and sounding the same. At least she's interesting, which is more than I could say for most else out now.

And her music is really good. The lyrics to her stuff (not all of it, granted, but certain songs I am thinking of) have interesting takes on the nature of love in modern society (Bad Romance) as well as other things. It also be noted that alot of her stuff is satiric in nature, though I'm not sure the 12 year old fans get that so much.

Shit, I'm tempted now to put all Lady Gaga songs for my top ten, just to get under people's skins :)
This I do not get. She may LOOK different, but she SOUNDS exactly the same as all the other trashy pop out there. She is indistinguishable from at least a dozen other artists who are all deplorably bad.

Shryke - they started playing random music on Friday's during the morning radio show I listen to this week, and ironically, the song played during my commute was Summertime by Will Smith!So weird to not hear it for at least a decade, then have it come up twice within a couple weeks.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare
Sarah McLachlan, “Sweet Surrender” (1997) - Didn't stand out for me.

NSpan
The Beatles, “Here Comes the Sun” (1969) - Agree with what you said about the song. Its fantastic. If you can get me to say a bad thing about any Beatles song, I'd be surprised, and this is certainly no exception.

Numbersix
Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” (1980) (also Buscemi's #39) - I just don't like this band one bit. I'll take Sometime Around Midnight, you can have this.

becs
David Bowie, “Moonage Daydream” - Not one of the better Bowie songs I've heard on the countdown.

undeadmonkey
Shakira, “Si Te Vas” - English, Spanish, I still think she has one of the worst voices in modern music.

Buscemi
***Black Sabbath, “Iron Man” - Infinitely awesome. Way better than the Sabbath NSpan likes.

leestu
***Bauhaus, “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”*** (1979) - IF IT TAKES YOU MORE THAN TWO MINUTES TO GET INTO YOUR SONG, YOU HAVE FAILED AS A SONG!!! I turned it off.

silversurfer
The Stooges, “Search And Destroy” (1973) - Good song, heard it a million times playing Guitar hero, always liked it.

transformers
Nirvana, “Lithium” (also Ron Burgundy's #50, W's #44, Geezer's #30 and BarcaRulz's #14) - If this is the song that ends up most played, well, I'm perfectly ok with that, its in my freaking top 30 and its my third favorite track from my all time favorite band. I'm satisfied.

W
***The Allman Brothers' Band, “Jessica” - Love it! Some FANTASTIC guitar work, but what else would you expect? This is a perfect song for the open road, just to cruise to.

Banks
Jay-Z, “Song Cry” - I actually didn't mind this, which means if you actually enjoy this type of music, its either a masterpiece, or something totally different, but I'm leaning towards the former.

englishozzy
System of a Down, “Chop Suey” (also leestu's #47) - Still awesome, but I do think they have done better.

BarcaRulz
Oasis, “Some Might Say” - wow the first of 3 and they all reside in your top 12! That's impressive. I liked this a lot! Always thought they were kind of a 2 hit wonder, but this proved me wrong! Maybe they are a three hit wonder!

Ron Burgundy
***Mstrkrft, “Heartbreaker” - Was not a fan

Chienfantome
Neil Young, “Philadelphia” - Sorry, his vocals in this one really grated on me, and the piano wasn't that good to make up for it.

Frendo
Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me” - Oh I get the references, well when he's not speaking so fast that I can't hear them, but I can't say it does much for me. I can definitely get that get up and go vibe from it though.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

undeadmonkey wrote: becs
Queen, “It's a Hard Life”

how can you like this yet despise lady gaga, they're basically the same thing. As for the song, I've never heard before, but that's probably because it's not as good as the 'known' Queen songs.
Because I realize the way someone dresses has absolutely nothing to do with the music? How in the WORLD is any Queen music even remotely reminiscent of Lady Gaga songs? I can understand a comparison of Queen (or moreso Bowie) with Lady Gaga as personalities (even though I think her ideas on the statements she is supposedly making through non-musical means have the intelligence level of a lobotomized chicken), but their music is utterly incomparable.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

sorry about not participating in the contest shryke, i was really busy

Shrykespeare
Alanis Morissette, “Wunderkind”
(2005)
nice song, i also loved the film.

NSpan
T-Rex, “Rabbit Fighter”
(1972)
couldnt really get into it. It wasn't that it was bad, i guess i just wasn't in the mood.

Numbersix
Sufjan Stevens, “Casimir Pulaski Day”
(2005)
nice enough, i can see the appeal, but not something that i would listen to regularly.

Geezer
Reel Big Fish, “Beer”

they're kinda fun. again, not something i would really listen to or put on my ipod, but interesting enough to keep my attention for 4 minutes.

becs
Nirvana, “Heart Shaped Box”

i don't enjoy nirvana

leestu
Queen and David Bowie, “Under Pressure”
(1981)
interesting duet, it was kinda catchy.

Buscemi
The Smiths, “This Charming Man”

not a fan

silversurfer
Jimi Hendrix, “All Along The Watchtower”
(1968) (also Geezer's #27)
like it, don't love it

transformers
Slayer, “Raining Blood”

not for monkey

W
Living Colour, “Cult of Personality”

see above comment

Banks
Dr. Dre feat. Eminem, “Guilty Conscience”
(also Ron Burgundy's #41)
didn't really like it before either

englishozzy
Ash, “Kung Fu”

didn't like much of anything about it.

BarcaRulz
Clint Mansell, “Lux Aeterna”
(also becs' #32)
pretty epic song. and i listen to it quite often actually, never really thought of putting it on my list though. and i loved watching the scenes from lotr, so great pick

Ron Burgundy
Kings of Leon, “On Call”

i like it, but i also really like their new album as well

Chienfantome
Gary Jules, “Mad World”
(also BarcaRulz's #28)
i hate this song, sorry.

Frendo
David Bowie, “Ziggy Stardust”

boring.

sorry guys, maybe i just wasn't in the mood but this round was not good for me. hopefully next one will be better.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

numbersix wrote:

Frendo: Nonphixion, “CIA's Still Trying to Kill Me”- "We make you wanna kill cops/Cats hatin, 'cause they know I finga girls twats... Nobody gets a record deal, you gotta take that shit/ Treat the record label like a slut, then rape that bitch"
You do realize you're NOT quoting the song I posted, right? This is one of their other songs. Is this what we're doing now? Taking lyrics from other songs, by the bands people post, that we don't like in an attempt to seem smarter and/or at a higher moral ground than others?

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

numbersix wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote: becs: Pink Floyd, “Wish You Were Here” - Very nice, certainly one of the better songs. However, more recently when I hear this I keep getting Jet's basic plagarism of the song on Move On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-jxbF_x40A, which kind of ruins my appreciation for the song a little. With fresh ears though, this is a classic.
I'm even gonna try and listen to that Jet song, but here's a treat: Sparklehorse (RIP) and Radiohead's Thom Yorke covering Wish You Were Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP8P694v-NM
Heh I knew I should've given a nod to that cover. I waffled and ultimately decided that including it might dilute the effectiveness of the original so I didn't include it, ah well. I do love the Sparklehorse/Thom Yorke cover.
- Donte

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

frendo wrote:
transformers2 wrote:Frendo there are no words for how jealous I am that you saw Pantera live. I was 11 when Dimebag was murdered so I will never got the chance to. I also commend you for picking Walk I love that song.
Yeah, that's too bad, it was a great show. You have great taste in metal, btw (a genre I used to be completely into...not as much recently, but still love older stuff like Slayer and Pantera). I still need to see Slayer live.
A fellow metalhead friend from high school and I went to see Slayer in 05 or 06 in Ft Wayne, IN. The show was great and the crowd was so wild.

BTE Chien and SS. The Drugs Don't Work and Hotel Yorba would definitely both be in my top 10-15. Great songs.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

frendo wrote: You do realize you're NOT quoting the song I posted, right? This is one of their other songs. Is this what we're doing now? Taking lyrics from other songs, by the bands people post, that we don't like in an attempt to seem smarter and/or at a higher moral ground than others?
Totally apologise, my man. Listened to the song first, then read the (wrong) lyrics, realising I missed some and posted them online. I understand the version you posted is very different, and I apologise for getting them wrong, but ultimately, with a chorus that goes "fuck around with me and I'll have to blast you" . And I doubt the CIA give a flying f**c about him.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, guys, here is the tentative schedule for everybody's #1 songs.

07/15/10 silversurfer - will post himself
07/16/10 NSpan -
07/17/10 Ron Burgundy -
07/18/10 BarcaRulz - wants me to post
07/19/10 transformers -
07/20/10 Frendo -
07/21/10 englishozzy -
07/22/10 leestu -
07/23/10 Buscemi -
07/24/10 Chienfantome -
07/25/10 W - will post himself
07/26/10 Banks -
07/27/10 becs - will post herself
07/28/10 numbersix - will post himself
07/29/10 undeadmonkey -
07/30/10 Geezer -
07/31/10 Shrykespeare - will post myself

You should all have gotten this in your e-mails as well. If ANY of you have a problem with the date you've been assigned, let me know as soon as possible. Also, let me know (if you haven't yet) whether you want me to post your final song or whether you prefer to do it yourself.

I'm still missing songs from the following people:

#11-#2 - Banks (URGENT!!)
#10-#2 - NSpan, becs, leestu, tranny, W, ozzy, Barca, Chien, Frendo

#8-#2 - UDM
#6-#2 - Six
#5-#2 - Geezer, Buscemi
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Why are me and Chien going on the same day?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.