Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Post by Leestu »

Don't know how to embed, but here's a link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xret4_ ... rado_music

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

becs wrote:NSpan -- Bob Dylan, “Visions Of Johanna”
Pretty much as soon as the harmonica started I didn't like it. Some parts were okay, but his singing just grates on me, or maybe more his enunciation, the way he unnecessarily pulls out and up his words, gag.
I keep forgetting that you're almost my age. Maybe it's the home-schooling and/or overly protective childhood, but I can't help but picture a teenager spouting off these responses.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

~Hype Machine is usually good at that sort of thing. Here's the Eagles Desperado: http://hypem.com/track/1082038/Eagles+-+Desperado

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Thanks a Hell of a lot, six and leestu.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Number Six wrote
Oh Chien, I knew it was only a matter of time before you picked Snow Patrol. Your taste was heading down into that hole of musical hell. Here's hoping you can be helped one day
I knew you would not appreciate that pick, Six, I would have bet it. Like I said, had I not seen them live last month, I probably would not have put them up on my list... But I did ;)
Frendo wrote
Chienfantome: Aaron, “U Turn (Lili)” - For some reason, I keep liking your picks and they are the exact opposite of what I usually listen to. They are melodramatic, slow, and heavy, yet I love everything you post, this included. Loved it enough to want to see the movie it was in even. Great stuff.
Thanks Frendo, I hope you will like the next 20 songs to come too ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: The The, “Infected” (1986) - Not bad, but it kind of feels like it's all about the production. Take it all away and I'm not sure if you're left with much of a song. And I can't decide whether that trumpet solo is genius or irritating. Cool video, though.

NSpan: Sam Cooke, “A Change Is Gonna Come” - A stunning song that, as you say, works on two levels, and on either alone it's one of the most powerful songs ever recorded. Such a shame this pops up on Amerian Idol.

Geezer: Rise Against, “Like the Angel” (also transformers' #54) - I think I prefer Against Me. Or Rage Against the Machine

becs: R.E.M., “Losing My Religion” (also BarcaRulz's #62) - Even though it's overplayed, it's still a deeply powerful song. Great use of mandolin.

undeadmonkey: ***The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”*** - A really catchy, summery song. It probably does their reputation more damage by stereotyping them as this happy bunch of guys who make throwaway music, when its actually far from their best. This is one of the ones I guessed wrong. I was surprised you picked something earlier than 1990, and something that isn't modern R&B or country-pop!

leestu: ***Bob Dylan, “Hurricane”*** (1975) - I sure as hell was surprised that this came from you. I initially thought it was Nspan, but got it right on the second guess. Brilliantly passionate song, and Dylan's last great protest song (unless you consider all his religius 80's stuff about how God's gonna save him and not us as a protest).

Buscemi: ***T.Rex, “Bang a Gong (Get It On)”*** - Didn't see this as coming from you Bousch, but since you picked Abba recently I've no idea what sort of music you like. A decent song from a band I'm not particularly into, despite Nspan's attempts to show us the more lo-fi side of their music.

silversurfer: Led Zeppelin, “Dazed And Confused” (1969) - I have heard this song before, but that slow, swampy riff sounds like having a hangover. It's just so dreary. But the song does get interesting about half-way though, so I'll give it points for that.

transformers: Coheed and Cambria, “In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3” - Just felt like a bunch of nu metal songs thrown together.

W: The Eagles/Johnny Cash, “Desperado” - This song is so cliched that I actually thought it was originally an ABBA song or something from Calamity Jane. And as the Dude says, "I hate the fucking Eagles, man".

Banks: Kid Cudi, “In My Dreams” - Considering hip-hop generally seems to me to be about the act of rapping more than the music, this was pretty poor. Kid Cudi was comatose on this one, and the lyrics are pithy.

englishozzy: Green Day, “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” - Hasn't this been on someone's list before, or are Green Day's song all blurring into one? It was okay at best, the outro being the best moment.

BarcaRulz: Audioslave, “Like a Stone” (also englishozzy's #60 and Shrykespeare's #41) - Like before, great vocals, decent music.

Ron Burgundy: Daft Punk, “Aerodynamic” (also Chienfantome's #26) - Like before, damn funky, but there's better Daft Punk. And the music on the trailer of Tron Legacy makes me appreciate these guys even more.

Chienfantome: The National, “Fake Empire” - I got this right on 2nd guess, but it was a bit surprising. Mostly becuase it's a great song ;) I'm a big fan of all of Boxer, and Mistaken for Strangers was a contender for my Top 100. Pass my regards to your Dad for having such great taste. This is a great song, and although it's a tad insubstantial because it's a song to open a record, I am fond of it. Really good lyrics too (about being intoxicated, and the pleasure of being in that Fake Empire). And if you haven't already, you should get their new album, High violet. It's excellent.

Frendo: The Stooges, “Dirt” - This came so close to making my Top 100. I love Funhouse and this song really makes it, because it's not fast punk rock, there's something slightly more self-aware and reflective about it. Amazing song.

A great end to the thread, with most songs being excellent.
Last edited by numbersix on June 22nd, 2010, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Chienfantome: The National, “Fake Empire” - I got this right on 2nd guess, but it was a bit surprising. Mostly becuase it's a great song ;) I'm a big fan of all of Boxer, and Mistaken for Strangers was a contender for my Top 100. Pass my regards to your Dad for having such great taste. This is a great song, and although it's a tad insubstantial because it's a song to open a record, I am fond of it. Really good lyrics too (about being intoxicated, and the pleasure of being in that Fake Empire). And if you haven't already, you should get their new album, High violet. It's excellent.
Didn't you notice that once in a while, I choose a great song for my countdown ? ;)
I'm hopeful you will find many great songs in my Top 20, although I wouldn't be surprised most of them will leave you unsatisfied... ;) Come on, I'm sure you'll approve at least 10 of them. Is that certainty or hope ? I don't know !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I forgot to say Six, it's funny, because I had my father on the phone yesterday and we discussed about The National's latest album ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - The The, “Infected”
Not a bad song, don't normally like anything that has come out from the 80's but apart from the music playing in the background, his lyrics sounds a lot newer than it is. 6/10
NSpan - Sam Cooke, “A Change Is Gonna Come”
Bit too old for me but did enjoy it in sections, i must admit though he has a pretty good voice. 5/10
Numbersix - "Nick Cave, “Are You the One That I've Been Looking For?”
I have a lot of respect for this guy, he has made a career even when people were doubting him, not my favourite of his but still a good song. 6/10
Geezer - Rise Against, “Like the Angel”
What can i say?? Huge fan of their work and loved this song when Tranny played it and still love it now if not more. 9/10
becs - R.E.M., “Losing My Religion”
Easily one of R.E.M. best songs and could of easily been on my own list but i thought i would throw a couple of others from there out there. 10/10
undeadmonkey - The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”
No doubt a classic song but has probably been played a bit too much for me and it has kinda lost its shine now when i listen to it but still a good song. 7/10
leestu - "Bob Dylan, “Hurricane”
I have been introduced to some really good Bob Dylan songs on this countdown but unfortunately this one has fallen short of the high standards he had set with me. Still enjoyed it though. 6/10
Buscemi - "T.Rex, “Bang a Gong (Get It On)”
Definately a great song, and has held up pretty well with repeat listenings, just wish it wasn't played in nearlly every commercial over here. 7/10
silversurfer - Led Zeppelin, “Dazed And Confused”
Definately one of Led Zeppelin's good songs, felt it lagged a bit in the middle which i didn't particularly like but overall a good song. 6/10
transformers - Coheed and Cambria, “In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3”
This band absolutley blew me away with their debut album and remained my number 1 album on my ipod for ages, long time since i have listened to this song so was good. 9/10
W - The Eagles/Johnny Cash, “Desperado”
It was OK, nothing really exciting about it but a nice little song. 6/10
Banks - Kid Cudi, “In My Dreams”
Really couldn't get on with this im afraid, couldn't stand his voice. 3/10
BarcaRulz - Audioslave, “Like a Stone”
I totally agree with you, easily their best song they have ever produced. 10/10
Ron Burgundy - Daft Punk, “Aerodynamic”
Couldn't really get into it when Chien posted it and still cant im afraid, just not my scene of music. 3/10
Chienfantome - The National, “Fake Empire”
I actually really liked this song, something about his voice and the melody of the song really chilled me out. 9/10
Frendo - The Stooges, “Dirt”
It was an OK song, went a bit too long in my opinion, it felt like it could of cut a few bits out and still be a good song. 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow, what an awesome round.

My thoughts (in order of preference):

BarcaRulz – Audioslave, “Like a Stone” – Obviously, I adore this song. Excellent choice! (10)

englishozzy – Green Day, “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” – I freakin' LOVE this song. Quite possibly my favorite Green Day song of all time. This song cemented them as one of the greatest bands of the 21st century (so far). (9)

NSpan – Sam Cooke, “A Change Is Gonna Come” – I may not like your classic rock choices, Nicky, but I LOVE your R&B choices. (8)

Ron Burgundy – Daft Punk, “Aerodynamic” – Wow, wouldn't have expected this song to be repeated within this thread! Great song, especially in the last minute! (7)

numbersix – Nick Cave, “Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For?” – I feel about this pretty much the same way I felt about your Bonnie Prince Billy song. Very nice. (7)

becs – R.E.M., “Losing My Religion” – I like it, but the feeling of wonderment that I used to hold for this song has faded somewhat. (7)

Buscemi – T.Rex, “Bang A Gong (Get It On)” – Being an 80's guy, I hope you won't think it sacrilege if I say that I love this song more because of The Power Station's cover than this. (I miss Robert Palmer sometimes.) (7)

Chienfantome – The National, “Fake Empire” – The piano was very very nice, the drums were terrific, and the singer almost sounded like Neil Diamond. My one gripe... just when I was starting to get into it, it ended! Good choice, anyway. (Hopefully you'll go easy on my three heavy-synth songs in the next thread, Chien.) (6)

transformers – Coheed and Cambria, “In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3” – The vocals and instruments reminded me a little of... no, make that A LOT of Rush. Did anyone else get that? Course, I love Rush, so that's a good thing. (6)

W – The Eagles, “Desperado” – Always liked this song. Thanks for picking it. (6)

undeadmonkey – The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations” – When I was a little kid, I didn't even know it was a famous song... I just thought it was the jingle for Sunkist Orange Soda. Very good song. No comment on Marky Mark, save to say that for a rapper, he can act pretty good. (He refuses to even talk about those days now.) (6)

Geezer – Rise Against, “Like the Angel” – Not bad. (6)

Banks – Kid Cudi, “In My Dreams” – It was okay. (5)

silversurfer – Led Zeppeplin, “Dazed and Confused” – Never really cared for this song. (4)

leestu – Bob Dylan, “Hurricane” – Just not a fan. (4)

Frendo – The Stooges, “Dirt” – Nor of this. (4)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

God damn it, I wrote up responses and then freaking lost it all before it sent through, fuck fuck fuck. Sorry, here's an abridged version.

Shryke- hated it.

NSpan - as a student of music, I knew you'd love Sam Cooke, pegged it, and its brilliant.

Six - better than other stuff i have heard from him, second guess pick.

becs- I love it, came close to my list

UDM- picked as you on second guess (guessed country first), very poppy, very catchy, that made it you. I like it.

leestu- love the song, love the movie, even if both seriously stretch the facts.

Boosh- nailed this easily, as you love novelty songs, and that is what this is. NSpan wouldn't have liked this, he is too big a fan of their underground stuff. Its not in his nature to love this one.

Surfer- mediocre at best for Zeppelin, not a fave.

Tranny- I like me some Coheed, but this was not as good as most that I like from them.

W- heard it before and its not bad.

Banks- awful, sounds like a retard.

Oxzzy- terrible song, one of Green Day's weakest efforts and suffered even more from being overplayed. They have done so much better, even on this album.

Barca- still like it, Cornell can still sing his ass off.

Ron- I liked it, but its no One More Time.

Chien- difficult to peg you, but got it on the second guess. I loved this, and it confirmed that I am becoming a fan of this band and going to get some of their material, even though "Mr. November" was better, this was a very solid follow up.

Frendo- I didn't like it.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote:I forgot to say Six, it's funny, because I had my father on the phone yesterday and we discussed about The National's latest album ;)
Does he like it? Man, I wish my Dad had your Dad's taste. My Dad only likes traditional Irish music which drives me nuts. To blanace that out I've an uncle who introduced me to Sufjan Stevens and saw The Clash play in Dublin in 1978 and who was in the audience for the recording of Bob Marley's Live album!

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: The The, “Infected” (1986)
Not really my thing.

NSpan: Sam Cooke, “A Change Is Gonna Come”
Sam Cooke has a great voice but again his style really isn't my thing.

numbersix: Nick Cave "Are You The One I've Been Waiting For?"
Hated It.

Geezer: Rise Against, “Like the Angel”
Obivously I love this song. It is my fave Rise Against song. I completely agree with your ranking of this album as their 2nd best as well.

becs: R.E.M., “Losing My Religion”
R.E.M is different and this song has great lyrics but I don't really like the vocals too much.

undeadmonkey: ***The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”***
Sorry I despise The Beach Boys.

leestu: ***Bob Dylan, “Hurricane”***
Same comment as always I strongly,strongly dislike Bob Dylan.

Buscemi: ***T.Rex, “Bang a Gong (Get It On)”***
This song is alright. I completely blew it on linking this song to you during the contest.

silversurfer: Led Zeppelin, “Dazed And Confused”
One of my least favorite Zeppelin songs. I just find to be not nearly as strong as their other material.

W: The Eagles/Johnny Cash, “Desperado”
Never been an Eagles fan. I don't even like the Cash cover that much.

Banks - Kid Cudi, “In My Dreams”
Kid Cudi has great beats but his lyrics are garbage.

englishozzy: Green Day, “Boulevard of Broken Dreams”
I hate the last two Green Day albums. This one of the worst songs on that record It's really whiny and generic.

BarcaRulz: Audioslave, “Like a Stone”
Completely indifferent about this song and Audioslave as a whole which kind of strange because I love Soundgarden and I love Rage Against The Machine.

Ron Burgundy: Daft Punk, “Aerodynamic”
Daft Punk is great. I dug this quite a bit the other day when Chien posted it and I like it even more now.

Chienfantome: The National, “Fake Empire”
It was ok.

Frendo: The Stooges, “Dirt”
Can never go wrong with The Stooges. Good pick.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: undeadmonkey: ***The Beach Boys, “Good Vibrations”*** - A really catchy, summery song. It probably does their reputation more damage by stereotyping them as this happy bunch of guys who make throwaway music, when its actually far from their best. This is one of the ones I guessed wrong. I was surprised you picked something earlier than 1990, and something that isn't modern R&B or country-pop!

hah, yea, There aren't too many songs before 1990 on my list, but that doesn't mean I don't love them. I love oldies, big band, motown, etc. I'm sure if we did a top 200 there would be a lot more on my list.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I don't get why everyone says I like "novelty" songs so much and claims that half my list is composed of "novelty" songs. I thought novelty songs were things like Pac-Man Fever and Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. You know, songs either meant to sell things or be stupid.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr