Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, W got his picks in at the last minute, so we are rarin' to go for another ten songs. I will decide on which songs will represent each of the seventeen players within the next 24 hours; I will announce them here on the thread, as well as send them to each of your e-mails.

The train just keeps a-rolling. Next stop: hallowed ground.

SONG #30

Shrykespeare
Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma”
(1987)

The third of my three Joe S songs, and the second straight time that I begin a thread with one of his. “Surfing With the Alien” was my first introduction to Satch, and this song just begged to be cranked to max every time I played it (particularly in the last minute, when it just goes off the charts in kick-assery). My favorite rock instrumental of all time, from my favorite guitar god of all time. (And I'm sure Surfer will appreciate the video art.)

NSpan
The Kinks, “Muswell Hillbilly”
(1971)

I have a weird fascination with the weird fascination British rockers of the 60's had with American country-music. (That might help explain why “Beggar's Banquet” is my favorite Stones album). This is the title track from one of my favorite Kinks records. And, if I hadn't tried to stick solely to studio-recorded music, the live (and raw) renditions of "Alcohol" and "Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues" probably would've found their way onto my Top 100 list. Ray deals explicitly with Britain's brief affair with American country in this song, rendering the production completely self-aware (and a bit tongue-in-cheek--but there's no sense of parody. This is earnest as hell). I still have one more from these guys coming up--and I don't think it will be nearly as polarizing as this track. Anyway, try and listen without preconceived notions regarding "country" music (or, for that matter, British invasion music). And, for the record, this ISN'T country music.

Numbersix
The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks”
(2001)

There’s an argument that if you like you’re music raw, then you need to visit a band’s first recordings, when they’re playing music not for fame or the love of the sound, but for survival. I can certainly understand the logic, especially when there are plenty of bands who failed to make anything as good as their first record. The Rapture’s first album, Mirror, failed, and the band redesigned their sound and quickly recorded an EP in a New York loft. And there was an immediate response to this song, which rebooted their career. It’s a very simple combination of bass, angular guitars, and drums, but they combine to make this brilliantly funky, energetic dance-punk song that the indie kids could appreciate.

Geezer
Nirvana, "Lithium"
(also Ron Burgundy's #50 and W's #44)

Yup, I'm picking it too. It is in fact on my list. 2 Nirvana songs to go!

becs
Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King”

Apocalyptica first gained a cult-like following for their covers of Metallica's work (which the very copyright sensitive group actually has praised). Then they made a name for themselves by releasing their own work, with some singers on loan from internationally renowned bands. Most recently they gained mainstream popularity when they released some of their own work with borrowed singers from some of the most well know bands in the US. I feel this song gives an excellent flavour of their intricate and darkly beautiful sound, but I could just as easily have gone with two of their other most beautiful works S.O.S/Anything But Love feat. Christina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) or Faraway Vol 2 feat. Linda Sundblad (Lambretta) (both of which Shryke at the least is required to check out), however neither of those really delve into their metal side as this brilliant cover of a classical composition does.

undeadmonkey
Lady Antebellum, “Hello World”

It's strange how this happened, this must be my country thread as four country songs are on this thread. Now I know most of you are not country fans, and i don't expect any love. but maybe something that would help is if you measured up these songs to other country songs, rather than measuring them up to your vastly superior songs. Either way. I love this song. deal with it.

leestu
Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side”
(1972)

The first of two Lou Reed appearances on my list, which combined with my two Velvet Underground picks makes him the only artist on my list four times. A classic song off the classic “Transformer” album produced by David Bowie. This song tells a few stories and interestingly contains references to people from Andy Warhol’s The Factory.

Buscemi
Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over”
(also Shrykespeare's #95)

silversurfer
The National, “Mr. November”
(2005)

A song which deals with chronic under achievement and a great fall from grace, its interesting that the music comes across with such a rousing sense of defiance. Mr. November is such an intense song, building slowly with Matt Berringer's powerfully melancholic (spleen?) voice and capably supported by some of the best drumming I've heard over the last few years. The song explodes into its chorus before breathing in again to showcase the band's depth before a stunning finale.

transformers
Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue”

These guys have been described by many as "Elvis Metal". They are absolutely parallels sound-wise between the King and Volbeat and that is probably what makes this band so unique.

W
The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”

A Rolling Stones jam session song? Who would have known?

Banks
The Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme The Loot”

Yes, it’s another rap song about violence and littered with curses, but I stopped caring about that... well, actually, I never cared about that. Biggie is #3 on my Greatest Rappers of All-Time list that I carry in my wallet and keep under my pillow every other Sunday night, and I probably could’ve littered this list with the entire Ready To Die track listing. I did not though, but I’d be aghast if I left this one on the cutting room floor. (And yes, both voices are Big – not Big and Diddy like people thought at the time.) (This is also the first ever song I memorized word for word, I think I was like 13 at the time.)

englishozzy
Sum 41, “In Too Deep”

Bit of a fun little song really, but couldn't stop listening to these guys when they came on to the scene a few years back now. Probably wont be a popular choice among you guys as the band don't really showcase a hugely musical talent. But in saying that this song puts me in a great mood and that's what is all about at the end of the day.

BarcaRulz
Queen, "We are the Champions"

Well, you can all thank me because I've just saved you 3:50 (actually less since the end of this vid has “We Will Rock You” for some reason) of your life, cause I'm sure everyone has heard this at least 100 times. Despite that fact, it just never gets old for me, and it really does feel like it gives a good message (to me at least). Only problem with it though is that I sometimes listen to it while playing poker and it makes me hero-call with A-high and lose my money :p.

Ron Burgundy
Keane, “Nothing In My Way”

This song i found playing FIFA 2007 on the Xbox, i guess i only started liking it because it played over and over, but when i did start liking it, i loved it. Its a bit sad sounding so beware. Six, you're a Brit, can you tell me how they were received in Britain? Because nobody seems to know who they are down under. I like the way they use the distorted piano, its cool.

Chienfantome
Archive, “Friend”

Well, this began with a film (no way !!^^). A bad, bad film produced by Luc Besson, adapted from a famous French comic book entitled Michel Vaillant. And sometimes, in bad (bad, bad) movies, you hear good music. Besson had the good idea to hire Archive to compose the soundtrack for the film. The atmosphere music, the bit parts, were awesome. And then there was this song, with an amazing vocal flight and a solid drum beat all along. It does not last more than 7 minutes like indicated by the video, it stops at about 4:30. I really, really hesitated to include Archive’s “Again” on my list, but opted for “Friend” instead. A week later, or earlier, I might have put “Again” instead. I already regret. So go and listen “Again”, if you don’t know it and were seduced by “Friend”.

Frendo
2Pac, “Blasphemy”

Ah, this song reminds me of a youthful time of driving around, partaking in herbal ecstasies, and listening to this album, among others, ALOT. I wasn’t too much a rap person, but all my friends were, so I started getting into some of it. I always liked the lyrics of this song, as it speaks about religion, because it put another dimension of Pac up there for all to see.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #8): #30-#21

Post by Shrykespeare »

MUSIC CONTEST

Okay, guys. Here is the contest for the current music thread.

Those of you who haven't participated, it's very simple. There are seventeen songs below, taken from the list of songs that haven't been played yet, which are coming somewhere between 21-24.

All you have to do is try to determine, based on what you know of everybody's music tastes, which song belongs to which person (excluding your own song, of course). So as soon as you can, send me your guesses.

But I have added a new twist. A "second chance". Because there are a lot more players involved this time, and because the margin for error is a lot higher, here's what I will do. After you send me your entry, I will e-mail you back as quickly as I can with the number of guesses you got right, as well as exactly WHICH ones you got right. Then you will have the opportunity to make a second stab at the ones you got wrong the first time (assuming you get any wrong, SURFER....).

I posted #30 earlier tonight. Song #24 is in six days. Therefore, you have five days to get your picks in to me, though I'd not wait until the last minute if you want your second stab.

Once again, here are the players:

Shrykespeare
NSpan
numbersix
Geezer
becs
undeadmonkey
leestu
Buscemi
silversurfer
transformers
W
Banks
englishozzy
BarcaRulz
Ron Burgundy
Chienfantome
Frendo

And, listed in alphabetical order by song title, are the songs that I chose.

Sam Cooke, "A Change is Gonna Come"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU4torUz-Q

Nick Cave, "Are You the One I've Been Searching For?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd51SEljBU0

T.Rex, "Bang a Gong (Get It On)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVEhDrJzM8E

Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWNRUVMboq4

KISS, "Detroit Rock City"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgsoJrzplUI

Silverchair, "Emotion Sickness"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBf1UblIMKU

The National, "Fake Empire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNQE7-2r3Vg

Dwight Yoakam, "Fast as You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2qo1x9rcCc

Operation Ivy, "Freeze Up"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuTQeu0w9Aw

The Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCeD_6Y3GQc

Bob Dylan, "Hurricane"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZF2l_ObGhI

Adele, "Melt My Heart to Stone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I92rULNrXd0

Third Eye Blind, "Motorcycle Drive By"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXRLEyIoJZA

The Other Two, "Selfish"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49LBrMmJU4c

The Smiths, "The Queen is Dead"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5IFl7uCis

AC/DC, "Thunderstruck"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w

Judas Priest, "You Got Another Thing Coming"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhInhE6emE

Good luck!

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Excellent. This will be way more challenging. Just some constructive criticism, while the second chance sounds fun I think it will make it alot easier. Maybe just send back how many were wrong and the person has to work out which are wrong in the first place?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I don't know, Barca. If it goes like I think it will, I would be surprised in someone got more than eight on the first try this time around. I've been wrong before, though.

Wow, 2Pac and Biggie on the same night. That's eerily poetic.

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Buscemi – Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over” – The songs that have overlapped my own list have been few and far between (this makes six). I think it's going to be between me and NSpan for whose choices are echoed the fewest. LOVE this song, obviously. (10)

Ron Burgundy – Keane, “Nothing In My Way” – Sad-sounding can be good. In fact, it can be great. I really truly liked this, from the music to the vocals to the lyrics. Excellent choice, sir! (8)

BarcaRulz – Queen, “We are the Champions” – Ah, yes, the victory anthem for every sports team from pee-wee football all the way up to World Series baseball. Wonder if that's how Queen imagined this song being used... Even so, it's still a classic. And hero-calling with ace high? SERVES YOU RIGHT!! (8)

Geezer – Nirvana, “Lithium” – Again, a very good song. (8)

englishozzy – Sum 41, “In Too Deep” – Wow, the Triple Lindy! First off, thanks for the video, made me feel like I was watching Back to School again. “Remember, you're a Melon!” As for the song, it was pretty cool. It sounded like Weezer filtered through Fountains of Wayne. (7)

Chienfantome – Archive, “Friend” – Very good, Chien. This took some of the better elements of bands like The Beatles and Radiohead and made something quite alluring to the ear. I'm impressed. (7)

undeadmonkey – Lady Antebellum, “Hello World” – For country, actually very nice, particularly the piano. Good choice. Don't press your luck, though. ;) (7)

transformers – Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue” – Hmm, I always thought these guys were the closest thing to “Elvis Metal”. This was okay, but once the “metal” part of the song started, it kind of ceased to sound like Elvis. (Though it does sound like a song he might have written. An interesting song to listen to, to be sure.) (6)

NSpan – Kinks, “Muswell Hillbilly” – Not too shabby, Nicky. This rather grew on me... like a really cool rash. (6)

becs – Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King” – Always liked the original composition (Edvard Grieg, wasn't it?), and I certainly never thought I'd say the word “heavy metal” and “cellos” in the same sentence. This was just a little too rough around the edges for me to get into. (6)

And becs, per your request (order?!), I checked out the other two links you posted. (“S.O.S.” was very good, though I must admit, I was wondering going in if it was going to be another ABBA cover. As for “Faraway”, well, I must also admit, I've never heard of Lambretta, but DAMN, that girl's got a great voice. It was terrific, and I loved the Arabian flair. Ofra Haza's voice would have gone great with this, God rest her soul.)

numbersix – The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” – Couldn't tell at first if this was the actual video for this song, or just some fan, spinning the licorice pizzas on camera. (That's always been my favorite slang term for vinyl records.) The song itself had equal elements of stuff I liked and stuff I didn't. (5)

W – Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'” – It was okay, but it doesn't really stand out among all the other classic Stones stuff. (5)

silversurfer – The National, “Mr. November” – Didn't care for it. (4)

leestu – Lou Reed, “Walk on the Wild Side” – I remember hearing this as a little kid, and though I didn't understand the lyrics, I did wonder why he rhymed “head” with “head”. Still don't like Lou's voice, but at least this song has some nostalgic value. (4)

Frendo – 2Pac, “Blasphemy” – This one only gets a point more than Banks' pick because it was slightly less self-aggrandizing. (3)

Banks – Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme the Loot” – No, no, no. No. No. Hell no. No. No. No way. No. No. (“Who's there?”) (2)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987) - Sorry, pal, I gave Satriani a chance, having listened to 3 of their songs (which is the minimum amount I give before making up my mind on whether I like a band or not). I liked this the least, I'd say. Again, it's mostly because self-indulgent soloing just loses me. I just couldn't give a damn after such flamboyant behaviour.

NSpan: The Kinks, “Muswell Hillbilly” (1971) - At first this song wasn't clicking with me, but by the end I was into it. I like it in the same way I like the Stones's Country Honk, although for me the latter is the better song. I've never thought about it, but there is indeed something fascinating when British acts from the 60's played around with American country. It never comes out quite the same, but that's a good thing. Dare I say it's slightly more melodic? A very good song, though far from my favourite by these guys.

Geezer: Nirvana, "Lithium" (also Ron Burgundy's #50 and W's #44) - It would be a shame if this were the most represented Nirvana song in the project. Not that I don't like, I really do, but there's a lot more Nirvana songs I prefer. Still no Teen Spirit on the list, which makes me wonder if we'll be seeing it in more than just one person's top ten.

becs: Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King” - Hah, I remember these guys from the late 90's. It's a bizarre idea to have four cellos do metal, and even more so when they're doing metal versions of classical songs. However, I don't quite like this song. The problem is that it's impossible to cover something so whimsical like Hall of the Mountain King and not come across as a novelty act.

undeadmonkey: Lady Antebellum, “Hello World” - Dude, you need to check out your genres more (or else I do!). There's virtually nothing country about this song. Take away the voice and it's a typical guitar pop song. The only country is the twang in the singer's voice. Country or not I didn't like this song at all. It felt cheesy and the strings are so damn overblown that I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay film.

leestu: Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side” (1972) - When I first got Transformer I was deeply disappointed that there weren't any songs as good as this and Perfect Day. I revisited it and have found I liked more of it than I thought. But this is still a highlight for me. I love the double bass, the cool rhythm going on, and another one of Reed's Beat-esque stories.

Buscemi: Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over” (also Shrykespeare's #95) - A very nice song to listen to on a Sunday morning. Well timed!

silversurfer: The National, “Mr. November” (2005) - In 2007 I made a poor call with The National. I was given this record, and I wrote them off as dull. Then I heard stuff from Boxer, got it, listened the hell out of it, and went back to this album to discover it properly, and I now like it a lot. And this too is the highlight for me, I love the passion in his vocals (even if his ability can't quite reach it). Amazing song. Have you heard their new album yet? It's even better, and perhaps ina few year's time something from it will make my Top 100.

transformers: Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue” - Wow, this just blew my mind. It's such an insane idea that I spent the entire 3 minutes completely bemused about it.

W: The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'” - Despite my aversion to solos and jams, I actually love this song. The opening riff is so darn rocking, and then the bass just kicks in to add something really special. I guess the jam works because of th additional instruments (love that sax), and the whole 7 minute track just breezes by.

Banks: The Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme The Loot” - Glorification of violence? Check. Misogny? Check. Ridiculous examples of self-promotion and braggery? Oh you better believe it's a check. I just can't get over how you can dismiss the lyrics in this. If I wrote a catchy pop tune about how much I like raping women, would you be fine with it once you liked the melody?

englishozzy: Sum 41, “In Too Deep” - These guys look like they're 15. But that's no excuse after hearing Silverchair's early stuff. I didn't like it at all, it was bland to me.

BarcaRulz: Queen, "We are the Champions" - Another consciously anthemic song by Queen, and probably my least favourite. I'm sure it's because it's used for every sporting event (and talent show) and most ads for said sporting events/talent shows, that it's hard not to be sick of it. It's also a little arrogant for me.

Ron Burgundy: Keane, “Nothing In My Way” - Oh Ron, you made the worst faux pas you ever could to an Irishman by calling him a Brit. After 800 years of colonialism, brutality, and borderline slavery, Ireland has been an independent nation (excluding Northern Ireland, of course) for almost a century, now, and people are STILL getting it wrong (even some Brits do). You're just lucky I'm not one of these mouthy nationalists who go nuts because someone makes a mistake about our tiny nation! Anyway, that said, Keane's presence in Ireland is roughly the same as in the UK. They're quite popular. Their singles have always been received well, and generally they're considered to be a poppier Coldplay. They're often the compromise band between a husband's love of Coldplay and a wife's love of pop. They're no household names, but they're generally very well known. I think their last album put a few of the mainstream fans off. As for this song, it's kind of typical Keane. I'd never love them, but they do have a decent singer and a good sense of melody, just enough to make them a pleasant listen.

Chienfantome: Archive, “Friend” - Sorry, dude, but I just don't see what you see in this song. It just sounds like a really lazy pop tune, complete with hand claps. I just can't like a song when I think millions of other average acts could have written something just like this. Also, thinking about what you said, the worst movie I've seen with the best music in it was probably Vanilla Sky.

Frendo: 2Pac, “Blasphemy” - Here's a question: on this record are all the song like this (i.e. expressing some sort of doubt or regret about his life), or does he vary between this and typcial raps about shooting people and banging girls. If it's the latter, then this song is disingenuous. If not, then at least this song is somewhat different to some of the other 2Pac songs I've heard.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Numbersix
The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)- Its very you

undeadmonkey
Lady Antebellum, “Hello World”- Its also very you, and I actually didn't mind it, surprisingly.

Shrykespeare
Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987)- Didn't grab me.

leestu
Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side” (1972)- great song. Always thought it was Velvet Underground, which further illustrates my point that his solo stuff sounds the same as their collective efforts.

Numbersix
The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)- the vocals took me out immediately, and there was no chance to recover.

englishozzy
Sum 41, “In Too Deep”- love it Ozzy! I wore this album OUT!

becs
Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King” - this was... interesting, but I doubt I'd want to hear it again.

Buscemi
Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over” (also Shrykespeare's #95)- I don't really remember what I said the last time, but I remembered the song, and I liked it this time around.

silversurfer
The National, “Mr. November” (2005)- its been a while since I heard a "new to me" song that completely knocked my socks off. Leave it to the Silver Surfer to accomplish this feat yet again. This was absolutely INCREDIBLE. I must hear more. MUST.

W
The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”- not one of the better Stones tracks in my opinion, and another song I can only associate with Guitar Hero.

transformers
Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue”- wow, that was really, really different, and I actually thought it was really cool.

BarcaRulz
Queen, "We are the Champions"- completely and totally excellent

Ron Burgundy
Keane, “Nothing In My Way”- its safe and boring, but that has been said about a lot of my songs too, and I can definitely see the appeal, it just didn't stand out to me.

2Pac and Biggie- I'm not really gonna get into these.

Chienfantome
Archive, “Friend”- just too soft for me.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

becs - Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King”
A band i only came across when they released that single with Ville Vallo but going back through their catalogue soon realised that that was just the tip of the iceberg. Good song. 7/10
undeadmonkey - Lady Antebellum, “Hello World”
It was an OK song but wish that it got a bit more dramatic getting near the end of the song as it certainly felt like it was gonna. 5/10
leestu - Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side”
Probably the only song i have recognised by Lou Reed on this countdown, enjoyed it even though it not a new song for me. 6/10
Buscemi - Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over”
One of the few oldies that i actually enjoy. For some reason i find that most songs from the 80's dont really age too well. 6/10
silversurfer - The National, “Mr. November”
Not a bad listen, surprised i haven't heard from these guys before. Recommend anything else?? 7/10
transformers - Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue”
Very intersting genre of music, surprisingly i found it quite entertaining. 7/10
W - The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”
Not a bad song, still haven't heard one yet from Rolling Stones to convince me though. 5/10
Banks - The Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme The Loot”
Not really my style, preffered the other song you posted earlier in the countdown. 3/10
BarcaRulz - Queen, "We are the Champions"
I agree with hearing this song a million times but still a awesome track. 8/10
Ron Burgundy - Keane, “Nothing In My Way”
They have definately had better songs out there than this one. In terms of being recieved in UK i remember them coming out pretty big with their first album but kinda dropped off the radar after that. 5/10
Chienfantome - Archive, “Friend”
This song never really clicked with me, pretty average. 4/10
Frendo - 2Pac, “Blasphemy”
Sorry but really not my thing, read Banks comment. 3/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma”
Satriani is just a guitar god. I have always loved listening to his playing. Among my favorites from him as well. Excellent Choice.

NSpan: The Kinks, “Muswell Hillbilly”
Hadn't heard this song before and its actually the first Kinks song that I didn't like.

numbersix – The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks”
Really nothing stood out to me on this track.

becs: Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King”
I apreciate the orginality but I have never really liked Apocalyptica.

undeadmonkey: Lady Antebellum, “Hello World”
Agree with six. This really isn't country at all. Most modern country isn't even country if that makes any sense at all.

leestu: Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side”
Not the biggest fan of Reed's voice.

Buscemi: Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over”
Decent song surprisingly. I don't really remember it from Shryke's posting so this kind of snuck up on me.

silversurfer: The National, “Mr. November”
I liked it. I will check out more of their stuff for sure.

englishozzy: Sum 41, “In Too Deep”
Sum 41 is a really fun band. Haven't heard this song in a very long time. Thank you for helping me rediscover this song.

W: The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”
One of my least favorite Stones songs. I think it drags a lot in the instrumental section.

Banks: The Notorious B.I.G., “Gimme The Loot”
I agree with everything you said. This is one of Biggie's finest tracks. The lyrics are sharp and the beat is excellent. Ready To Die will always be one of my favorite albums of all time.

BarcaRulz: Queen, "We are the Champions"
A classic. Really cant say much else besides that it is a great song that has lasted the test of time.

Ron Burgundy: Keane, “Nothing In My Way”
I find Keane to be awful. Sorry.

Chienfantome: Archive, “Friend”
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Frendo: 2Pac, “Blasphemy”
Love this song. 2pac is among my favorite rappers of all time.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Wow, did Ozzy and Geezer trade musical tastes?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Song #30

Shrykespeare
Joe Satriani « Lords of Karma »

On the paper I can totally appreciate an instrumental rock song. But this one didn’t really do anything for me (a big wink to NSpan if he reads this). I didn’t really like the sound of the guitar.

NSpan
The Kinks “Muswell Hillbilly”

Country inspired songs generally don’t impress me, and this one is not exactly different. It’s nice on the ear, but in the end, I won’t remember it in a few hours…

Six
The Rapture “out of the races and onto the tracks”

I really like the sounds developped in this song, but I really have a problem with the voice of The Rapture’s singer. And therefore I have a problem enjoying their songs, including this one…

Geezer
Nirvana “Lithium”

Still a great song.

Becs
Apocalyptica “Hall of the mountain king”

I’d much rather listen to the original classical composition than this thing, thanks ;)

Undeadmonkey
Lady Antebellum “Hello World”

As I’ve said, I have no particular interest for country music, and all the ones I’ve heard on these boards, didn’t do anything to make me change my mind… But is this country music ? Doesn’t really sound like country… or country pop maybe. Anyway, I don’t really like it.

Leestu
Lou Reed “Walk on the wild side”

Brilliant, brilliant song. My second favourite of Reed’s after the one I’ve listed the other day. Such a groovy song. The bass is extraordinary in this song.

Buscemi
Crowded House “Don’t dream it’s over”

Heyyyy, I remember this song, but I thought it was Paul Young singing, that’s funny. I was wrong. I remember this song from my childhood, always nice to listen to it.

Silversurfer
The National “Fake Empire”

That’s a spleeny voice for sure, Surfer ^_^ I love the energic chorus. It’s beautifully intense. The finale is remarkable, indeed. Damn, that’s a great song !

Transformers
Volbeat “Sad Man’s tongue”

Is this Elvis-like ? … Is this country ? … Is this metal ? Whatever it is, it’s not my kind of song !

W
The Rolling Stones “Can’t you hear me knockin ?”

Not a great Stones song, but still good.

Banks
The notorious BIG “Gimme the loot”

Pfffff… after listening and hesitating… I’m deciding I don’t like it. (well I did not hesitate that long trust me)

Englishozzy
Sum 41 “In too deep”

Never ever been a Sum 41 fan, not with this song, not with any song. They can be listenable, and this one certainly is, but they’re never beyond listenable to me.

BarcaRulz
Queen “We are the champions”

This song was played soooooooooo much in France after we won the FIFA World Cup at home in 1998, and then in 2000 after winning the Euro Championship (when we were unbeatable… wow, that was a looooong time ago !), that I can’t listen to this song without having images of football in my head. That’s weird. Nice, but overplayed in France.

Ron Burgundy
Keane “Nothing in my way”

“Six you’re a Brit”… ??? Oh man, you’re playing with your life on this one !!! hahaha…
It’s not a Keane song I particularly like. I prefer the one I listed “Somewhere only we know”, or “A bad dream” and “Try again”.

Frendo
2pac “Blasphemy”

Better than B.I.G. for sure. Still not an amateur though.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Buscemi wrote:Wow, did Ozzy and Geezer trade musical tastes?
I think Ozzy and I actually share VERY similar tastes to begin with Boosh.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Geezer -- Nirvana, "Lithium"
Good song.

Shrykespeare -- Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987)
I actually like Joe when he's focused--as he is here. (Relatively) short and sweet. I'd prefer an actual ending to a fade-out though.

Numbersix -- The Rapture, “Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks” (2001)
I've listened to this track an obscene number of times since you posted it. I'd thank you for sharing, but it's becoming a problem.

becs -- Apocalyptica, “Hall of the Mountain King”
I saw these guys open for Les Claypool, really not a bad show from them. And a very cool cover here. [Edit: Oops! It was Rasputina, not Apocalyptica. Either way...] I still prefer The Who's version of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDl18bXywHU)

leestu -- Lou Reed, “Walk On The Wild Side” (1972)
Good track. Funny that such a subversive song became a mainstream radio staple. Oh, and to Frendo--regarding the members of VU never using heroin--I respectfully disagree. (I would prefer it if you were right, but the reality of it is less pretty).

Buscemi -- Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over”
I don't remember what I said in response to when Shryke posted this--but I'm torn now. Objectively speaking, it's a good song (in terms of composition, melody, etc.). I just don't like the band performing it. Not my style at all. That said, I actually enjoy Sixpence None the Richer's version better. Sorry if that's aggravating to hear (to Boosh AND Shryke)... I imagine it might be comparable to me having to hear that somebody prefers the Sundays' version of "Wild Horses" over the original.

silversurfer -- The National, “Mr. November” (2005)
You had quite a streak goin' last thread. Jury's still out on this one. I actually know the song (though I didn't know who sang it or what it's called... nor where I heard it first). I usually don't like Neo-New Wave (I fudged this term after being unsatisfied with what AllMusic calls these guys--"sadcore" lol), but this one definitely has its merits.

transformers -- Volbeat, “Sad Man's Tongue”
I liked it. Moreso than Elvis, I thought it sounded like a heavy-metal Jerry Reed.

What's weird is that I never appreciated just how unoriginal "Folsom Prison Blues" really is--its similarity to every other "train song" got me reading up on its source. And what I discovered is worse than you'd guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3M3Igjnbhs He straight-up lifted the whole damn thing and changed the title. This blatant act of thievery would make Led Zeppelin blush. It's still amongst my favorite Cash songs, but this definitely makes me look at it in a new light.

BarcaRulz -- Queen, "We are the Champions"
I'm trying really hard to listen to this objectively... and I just can't. I mean, I love it. It's clearly great, but it's just such a mainstay of pop-culture that it's hard to really say anything about it...

W -- The Rolling Stones, “Can't You Hear Me Knockin'”
Great song. Though, to be honest, I've actually omitted this track from a few Stones mix-tapes due to its length. I personally really like where they take the song (I'm always surprised at how long this track is on paper, because it never FEELS like 7+ minutes), but I would understand if somebody would prefer it to just end around the 3-minute mark.

Chienfantome -- Archive, “Friend”
Sounds familiar, but I can't imagine where I would've heard it before. I liked it. A lot. (Listening to it again now)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan wrote: Shrykespeare -- Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987)
I actually like Joe when he's focused--as he is here. (Relatively) short and sweet. I'd prefer an actual ending to a fade-out though.
Just one more cup o' Joe before we move on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVUq5hNP1Vw

It's not as "short and sweet" as "Lords of Karma", so you needn't listen to the whole thing if you don't want to... you can start at 1:21 and not really miss anything. But at 3:11, things go much quieter, like the calm before the storm... which starts at 3:25, and then... OMG. Ninety seconds of pure Satriani bliss.

Buscemi -- Crowded House, “Don't Dream It's Over”
I don't remember what I said in response to when Shryke posted this--but I'm torn now. Objectively speaking, it's a good song (in terms of composition, melody, etc.). I just don't like the band performing it. Not my style at all. That said, I actually enjoy Sixpence None the Richer's version better. Sorry if that's aggravating to hear (to Boosh AND Shryke)... I imagine it might be comparable to me having to hear that somebody prefers the Sundays' version of "Wild Horses" over the original.
Umm... er.... well.... (tugs nervously at collar....) :shock: :roll: :oops: :| I do.

And for the record, you said:
Shrykespeare -- Crowded House, “Don’t Dream It’s Over”
This is one of those songs that I know inside-and-out (and so does everyone), but I really didn't know what it was called or who it was by. ,,, Sidenote: Even when I'm not in love with your songs, I can count on the videos being ridiculawesome.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Weird to, at this stage of the game, have two days' worth of songs posted on the same page. Let's keep those comments flowing, guys!

And oh, as of today, we have hit a milestone. Since we started (at #100, not #105), we have now posted over 1,000 songs. Not 1,000 DIFFERENT songs, mind you, but still, that's a feat in itself, and in only 2 1/2 months.

SONG #29

Shrykespeare
Cruise Control, “No Condom, No Sex”
(1988)

First of all, a hearty shout out to Six for out-dueling NSpan in an Internet-scouring contest, being able to FIND this song for me to download when I had failed miserably for years. After that, it was a simple matter to create a “video” and upload it onto YouTube. I would have hated to omit this from my countdown, so thanks, Six, you are awesome!

Now, on to the song... once you stop snickering at the title, I can inform you that this is NOT a novelty song, or even meant to be humorous in any way. In 1988, when the AIDS scare was at an all-time high, this song came out. It was released by Sony records by a one-time-only group calling themselves Cruise Control. The names of the people responsible for writing and recording this song have remained anonymous to this day, and that's just fine, because the whole point of the song was to raise AIDS awareness (100% of the proceeds from record sales went to AIDS research). There was a really cool video - with some celebrity cameos - made for this song way back when, but it seems to have disappeared forever, so it was left to me to re-introduce it to the world. (Sorry for the length, but of the five versions available for download, this one – the extended version – was by far my favorite.) It definitely sounds like an 80's song, but it's got a KILLER beat and some very poignant lyrics (“Just remember, this is NOT 1981”) that are relevant even today. (And I've even gotten two very nice compliments from complete strangers for posting this video, which is pretty cool.)

NSpan
Led Zeppelin, “Over the Hills and Far Away”
(1973)

Another "second-favorite." My absolute favorite comes down to pure, raw performance. That said, this song is probably Led Zeppelin's peak in terms of songwriting. For having composed this, their years of unbridled (and unapologetic) thievery is – nearly – forgiven. Totally epic stuff. Cool (Lord of the Rings-inspired) lyrics, amazing guitar work (the acoustic opening notes are unforgettable), and yet another impressive vocal performance from Plant. But what's more impressive is the structure: mature and complex – my question is: if they were capable of creating such music from nothing, why the heck were they content with being a glorified cover-band for so damn long?? Note: The YouTube track ends at 4:49.

Numbersix
Sun Kil Moon, “Duk Koo Kim”
(2001)

Mark Kozelek is king of the dreamy song, and this epic song is the dreamiest of the lot (hell, two of the verses are about dreams he had). His album Ghosts of the Great Highway is based on various boxing legends and how they inspired different reactions in him. This one is about Duk Koo Kim, a Korean boxer who died in a match. Kozelek recalls re-watching the match, and how seeing what happened made him wonder about his mortality and about not finding fulfillment before the end of his life. There’s something really beautiful about how Kozelek finds the profound in the mundane, and it helps that he has such a great voice, which gets even better about 7 minutes into the song.

I had to split this song in two on YouTube because it’s 14 minutes (matching the 14 rounds Duk Koo Kim fought before he died), but the last section is just an outro so feel free to skip it if it ain’t moving you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ng0sPWwdS0

Geezer
Incubus, "I Miss You"

This is an incredibly personal song to me, so I'd appreciate it if you go gentle. If there is any one song that sums up my current relationship, this one is pretty much spot on. Its an absolutely perfect love song. I've always loved it, but the added element of a song being "our song" like this one is, moves it up that much higher. So here you go.

becs
The Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”

Yet another song/band I can't believe we haven't seen in this list so far. So iconic, heavily covered, and easily recognizable. A dark classic.

undeadmonkey
Dido, “White Flag”

I already know that SS isn't going to like this. I really don't know much about Dido honestly, I've listened to some of her other stuff but nothing else of her stuff really sticks. This song is an anomaly though. When me and my cousin were little we used to listen to this song all the time.

leestu
Dinosaur Jr, “Freak Scene”
(1988)

A band with their own distinctive sound at a time and in a genre where there was a lot of similar-sounding music. With their use of distortion and feedback in their unique guitar sound and the low key drawl of the vocals (which suit the lyrics of this song) a Dinosaur Jr. Song is always recognizable. This catchy song is the song that they burst into my music world with. I couldn’t find the original version (apparently WMG won’t allow it) so this is the best live version I could find, from a 1991 tour with Nirvana and Sonic Youth.

Buscemi
Ozzy Osbourne, “Crazy Train”

silversurfer
The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”
(1966) (also W's #63 and BarcaRulz's #31)

Possibly one of the darkest singles of all time, whether it deals with the loss of a loved one or religion, “Paint It Black” is a stunning song which is introspective, mystic and sometimes violent. Jagger's vocals are angry, vicious even, while the use of the sitar provides an intriguing, hypnotic Eastern sense of suspense. The pounding drums are probably what I love most about this song though, Charlie Watts is often the underrated member of the band, but here is shows what he is fully capable of.

transformers
Brand New, “Sowing Season (Yeah)”

This is another pick which will surprise a lot of people. I am not the biggest Brand New fan, but I absolutely love this song.

W
Heartbreaker, “Led Zeppelin”

My favorite Zeppelin riff/song.

Banks
Lauryn Hill, “Nothing Even Matters”

I’m almost certain that The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is my favorite album of all time, and this is one of the standouts from said CD. Her voice is beautiful, and it’s a shame she went batshit crazy and never made another solo album. But don’t worry, there’s plenty of Hill coming up in my list.

englishozzy
Staind, “It's Been Awhile”
(also BarcaRulz's #68)

A post-grunge band that hit the height of their fame with the album Break the Cycle back in 2001 which this song comes from. Has got a lot of stick recently with their last two albums and has been known to produce some very commercialized music. This song for me is probably their stand-out achievement. As we have had this song on the countdown already i will post a live version.

BarcaRulz
Stereophonics, "Dakota"
(also Chienfantome's #45)

Was pleasantly surprised when Chien picked it straight out of the gate. I enjoy a lot of Stereophonics stuff, but none of their other songs come close to reaching “Dakota”'s pedigree when it comes to my opinion. Very nice tune with nice lyrics and great vocals.

Ron Burgundy
The Bloody Beetroots, “Butter”

Another song I found playing FIFA, but the 2009 version (gee EA games really know how to find great soundtracks), it came on the radio a bit after i first heard it on the game. Not many people will like this (I can already hear Geez and NSpan complaining about how repetitive it gets), but whoever likes electro might enjoy this one. The Bloody Beetroots have a few gems out there and I'm sure we'll get a good next album from them.

Chienfantome
She & Him, “Sweet Darlin'”

I must start by confessing that I've been under the spell of Zooey Deschanel’s lovely face for a few years now. But when I heard she was launching a musical career with Matthew Ward as the band “She & Him”, I was not sold immediately, because actors turning singers are rarely successful as far as talent goes. But then I heard them. There is something luminous in She & Him’s songs. Sparkles that I rarely find anywhere else. A joy for singing, a joy for living. An art of songs both modern and nostalgic. Simple songs with simple magic, like this “Sweet Darlin’”.

Frendo
Green Day, “Welcome to Paradise”

One of the bands hailing from the same area as myself (they started in a town about 45 min. away), I have a soft spot for the whole scene. They have done many amazing songs since this one, but I always liked them better a little edgier, and not as produced. I like the lyrics of this one too.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:
NSpan wrote: Shrykespeare -- Joe Satriani, “Lords of Karma” (1987)
Just one more cup o' Joe before we move on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVUq5hNP1Vw

It's not as "short and sweet" as "Lords of Karma", so you needn't listen to the whole thing if you don't want to... you can start at 1:21 and not really miss anything. But at 3:11, things go much quieter, like the calm before the storm... which starts at 3:25, and then... OMG. Ninety seconds of pure Satriani bliss.
You don't have to sell me on the guy. I own the records, been to the shows, etc.

But I'm confident when I say that the peak of my Satch-fandom is in the past.
Shrykespeare wrote: And for the record, you said:
This is one of those songs that I know inside-and-out (and so does everyone), but I really didn't know what it was called or who it was by. ,,, Sidenote: Even when I'm not in love with your songs, I can count on the videos being ridiculawesome.
I read that as being in-line with my new response........ so at least I'm consistent. (Though, if you'll take notice, I sorta avoid the subject of WHAT I THINK ABOUT THE SONG in my original post)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.