Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by Buscemi »

Something that I've wondered about Violent Femmes: does anyone even know, or care to realize, that they actually did stuff after 1983?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Buscemi wrote:Something that I've wondered about Violent Femmes: does anyone even know, or care to realize, that they actually did stuff after 1983?
1991's Why Do Birds Sing was huge at the time. In fact, hearing "American Music" on some Top 40 station was my first (knowing) exposure to their music.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Song #32

Shryke
Morrissey « Everyday is like Sunday »

I am not very much familiar with Morrissey. There’s an interesting rhythm to this song, mostly thanks to the drums, but I can’t say I’ll remember it once it’ll be over.

NSpan
Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer”

3 minutes and 28 seconds before Neil opens his mouth, I was beginning to think it’s a musical song only ! Good song, but it takes so much time to start… too much time.

NumberSix
Television, “Marquee Moon”

I love the guitar duet, it sets a surprising atmosphere to the song. It plays well with the drums too. Besides that, though, I am not ecstatic about the song.

Geezer
Everclear “Santa Monica”

I’ll say it again, to me Everclear is “Local God”. This is very minor.

Becs
Clint Mansell “Lux Aeterna”

Woooooooowwww, back up, it was possible to include music pieces from movie soundtracks ??!! I did not know !! Damn, my list would be different I’m sure… Too late ! Anyway, great choice becs. Mansell’s compositions for “Requiem for a Dream” is stunning work. It mixes quietness with the explosion of emotions. The strings use is amazing in this. The vocals bring epicness to it.

Undeadmonkey
The Magic numbers “Take a chance”

Heyyyy, I love this song ! I had no idea who was singing it, or even the title of the song. Where have I heard it ? Can’t remember. I love it when it moves faster with breaks in the rhythm.

Leestu
Violent Femmes “Blister in the sun”

Soooo… Violent Women, huh ? Big surprise, I expected a woman to sing, not a man !!! ;) I like the guitar work in this. And I like the whispering too, yeah, you were right leestu !

Buscemi
Aha “Take on me”

Well, this sure is a classic. I don’t think I’d be able to name another A-ha song, but since this song is so great to listen to, I won’t complain. Taaaaaaake oooooon meeeeee. Reminds me of my childhood !

Silversurfer
R.E.M. “Nightswimming”

I don’t think I had ever heard that R.E.M. song. Nice song. Not a fan. But nice enough to listen to it.

Transformers
Mastodon “Colony of birchmen”

No thank you transformers. You know by now, I think, that I don’t like this kind of songs ;)

W
The Allman Brothers Band “Ramblin Man”

Well, I’m not fond of this either, but at least I can listen to it without covering my ears with my hands !

Banks
Gnarls Barkley, “Blind Mary”

I don’t think I had ever heard another song from Gnarls Barkley other than “Crazy”. It’s kind of a funny song. Not unpleasant to the ears.

Englishozzy
3 doors down “Kryptonite”

I don’t know this band. The voice reminds me of someone. The song doesn’t do much to me unfortunately.

Barcarulz
The Ramones “Blitzkrieg Bop”

This is The Ramones ? I didn’t know that. Where did I hear this song before ? In a film or in a trailer for sure… Not bad, not bad.

Ron Burgundy
Coolio “Gangsta Paradise”

Junior High memories, here it comes ! I remember my sister playing this song again, and again, and me not liking it AT ALL !! Listening to it today, I find it wayyyy better than the 14 year-old I was used to think. But still not a song I’d listen to regularly.

Frendo
Aesop Rock “Daylight”

I’m not sensitive to this, I’m afraid…
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Shrykespeare
Morrissey, “Every Day Is Like Sunday” (1988)

Wasn't bad, but it was too repetitive and nothing really happened for it to be memorable. 5/10.

NSpan
Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer” (1975)

New to me. Was nice and mellow. Great music and nice vocals. 7.5/10.

Numbersix
Television, “Marquee Moon” (1977) (also silversurfer's #52)

Same as before. 5/10.

Geezer
Everclear, "Santa Monica"

Not a fan of this one mate. 3/10.

becs
Clint Mansell, "Lux Aeterna”

High five! Without a doubt best film score piece for me. Will be on my list. 10/10.

undeadmonkey
The Magic Numbers, “Take A Chance”

Had its moments, but for the most part it was meh. 4/10.

leestu
Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun” (1983)

Didn't think I had heard this one before, but I immediately recognized it once it began. Nice music and nice lyrics. Enjoyed it. 7/10.

Buscemi
a-ha, “Take on Me”

Never liked this one much and it tends to annoy me depending on my mood. 4/10.

silversurfer
R.E.M., “Nightswimming”

Love the music (especially the piano), and as always with REM the vocals are strong. 6.5/10.

transformers
Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen”

Didn't like it. Music was Ok for the most part, but vocals annoyed me. 2/10.

W
The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man”

Not a fan. 2/10.

Banks

Had its moments, and to be fair it had me tapping along. Not really my thing though. 4/10.

englishozzy
3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite”

Heard this plenty of times as my friend loves it, and it has gotten old. Never really liked it much, and now I just don't like to listen to it. 4/10.

Ron Burgundy
Coolio feat. LV, “Gangsta's Paradise” (also Buscemi's #100)

One of the few rap songs I actually like. 7/10.

Chienfantome
Muse, “Uprising”

More Muse is good for me. I really like this one too. Will be interesting to see which band has been picked by most of us uniquely. 7.5/10.

Frendo
Aesop Rock, “Daylight”

Not really my thing. 2/10.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

there were some damn goood selections for round 32. Shout outs go to:

Leestu- absolutely love it, and I actually didn't know it was the Violent Femmes.

becs- I've loved it ever since the Celtics used it as their theme music. Background music to the trailer I made

Shryke- kinda surprising but I liked it.

Boush- although I do like Reel Big Fish's cover version better, the original is good too!

W- awesome song that came close to my list as well.

Barca- although not close to my favorite Ramones song

Chien- eh, its an ok Muse song, but its really not one of my favorites by them.

Surfer- R.E.M can do no wrong. Really good.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

SONG #32

Shrykespeare
Morrissey, “Every Day Is Like Sunday”
(1988)
Another great great song, its so mild, but I just can't help but nod along..

NSpan
Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer”
(1975)
Sorry, not too memorable..

Numbersix
Television, “Marquee Moon”
(1977) (also silversurfer's #52)
Pretty nice.

Geezer
Everclear, "Santa Monica"

I would easily put Heroin Girl and Everything to Everyone above this, but still good.

undeadmonkey
The Magic Numbers, “Take A Chance”

Enjoyable.

leestu
Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun”
(1983)
A classic, love that beat, and even the whiny vocals are great. Has great hold considering I still hear this on the alt rock station now and it came out the year I was born.

Buscemi
a-ha, “Take on Me”

Glad to see this, I thought of this song and had a pang of regret for forgetting it, woulda shown up somewhere lower than this on my list but would've been in for sure.

silversurfer
R.E.M., “Nightswimming”

My favorite of their work, but a great one to be sure!

transformers
Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen”

Not bad at all, I will probably check these guys out more after this, they definitely have some good stuff.

W
The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man”

bleh.

Banks

The staticy voice bothered me after a awhile, but other than that pretty decent, nothing compared to Crazy though.

englishozzy
3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite”

I can't possibly even listen to this its been so painfully overplayed, however I did like this when it first came out and I was in my young teens.

BarcaRulz
The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
(also leestu's #79)
Like it alot!

Ron Burgundy
Coolio feat. LV, “Gangsta's Paradise”
(also Buscemi's #100)
Still a nostalgic classic.

Chienfantome
Muse, “Uprising

Absolutely love the intro on this song, and I enjoy the song, but it doesn't have the bang alot of their others do for me.

Frendo
Aesop Rock, “Daylight”

Reminds me a bit of my favorite rap group Grits, nice selection.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, it's roughly ninety minutes before I post Song #31, so why don't I go ahead and reveal how the contest went.

Without revealing the songs (just yet), here is how everyone who turned in an entry did:

Winner: Silversurfer (12/12 correct)

Others:
numbersix (7/12)
BarcaRulz (6/12)
NSpan (4/12)
transformers (4/12)
undeadmonkey (4/12)
becs (2/12)
leestu (2/12)

Everyone got UDM's choice right (let's face it, could it have been EASIER?) The others that people guessed right were mine (5 people), Geezer (4 people), becs (4 people), englishozzy (4 people), BarcaRulz (3 people), NSpan (3 people), silversurfer (2 people), leestu (2 people), transformers (2 people) and W (2 people). The ones whose choices fooled just about everyone were Buscemi and numbersix: only surfer got those two right.

Next time around, I'm going to try to make it a little harder. Not a LOT, but a little. Instead of picking from just one numbered song, I'm going to choose a song from the 21-24 range that I think represents your musical stylings without being a dead giveaway (in other words, not Shakira). It will be a song that hasn't been played before. And additionally, all the "new" players (Chien, Banks, Ron B, Frendo) will be joining the fun.

And remember... NO POSTING PREVIEWS OF WHAT'S COMING.

Let's see surfer pull this coup off again. Bwaahaaahaaa!

Anyway, good going, surfer. A feather in your cap.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

DOH, you picked the wrong half of the list!

Congrats surfer, I am in awe of your prowess.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:
Shryke
Morrissey « Everyday is like Sunday »

I am not very much familiar with Morrissey.
Who here wants to school our resident Frenchman on The Smiths?

Buscemi
Aha “Take on me”
Well, this sure is a classic. I don’t think I’d be able to name another A-ha song, but since this song is so great to listen to, I won’t complain. Taaaaaaake oooooon meeeeee. Reminds me of my childhood !
I bought "Hunting High and Low" when "Take On Me" came out. I remember two other great songs from that album, and I'm sure you can find them on YouTube. They were called "The Sun Always Shines on TV" and "Train of Thought".

Just noticed: Against Me! is appearing on Leno. You listening, Geez?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Does anyone even watch Leno anymore? Especially after the way he forced Conan off his show?

When Conan returns on TBS, he will blow Leno out of the water.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And now... THE REVEAL. Time to see where you all went wrong (except for surfer, of course)...

SONG #31

Shrykespeare
KMFDM, “Juke Joint Jezebel”
(1995)

Bet you guys thought Rammstein was the only German industrial-metal band we were going to see, huh? (Okay, Oomph too.) Wrong! I don't often go for industrial stuff (this you know), but I do like the occasional Ministry track. As for this song, it still blows me away. Featured on the soundtrack of Mortal Kombat (instantly making it the best thing about that movie) as well as in the “rave” scene in Bad Boys, the video adds a whole 'nother element of coolness by meshing together shots of the band with scenes from the manga series “Patlabor”. Plus, it's in English, which is nice. The gritty vocals of Sascha Konietzko and Lucia Cifarelli, blended together with those tough-as-nails guitar riffs and tougher lyrics, just make you want to do some serious moshing.

NSpan
The Band, “The Weight”

I have one more from The Band coming up, so I'm going to save my rambling for that time. Meanwhile, enjoy.

Numbersix
Elliott Smith, “Needle in the Hay”
(1995)

Elliott Smith may have sounded pleasant musically, but he wrote songs about screw-ups that were painfully honest. “Needle in the Hay” is an elusive song lyrically (the best usually are), but it seems to be about drug addiction and the sense of isolation it creates (“He's wearing your clothes, Head down to toes, a reaction to you”). A lot of his songs are about this and the downbeats associated with such a life, and the simple but nevertheless potent guitar playing makes this all the more poignant.

Geezer
Bad Religion, “Sorrow”

This is my favorite song from these Punk Godfathers. Absolutely awesome and catchy punk. There is a reason why they basically invented the genre. Graffin's voice is still immaculate, and it all just flows quite well together. The lyrics are excellent and send a great message. There is nothing I don't love about this song. It was the theme song to one of my favorite summers. Damn, this is getting harder and harder to rank.

becs
Garbage, “#1 Crush”

I remember first hearing this in a slow-mo scene shoot em up scene in La Femme Nikita, then again in the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack. Though I knew who they were, this was the haunting song that got me hooked on Garbage.

undeadmonkey
Shakira (feat. Wyclef Jean), “Hips Don't Lie”

This is my last English Shakira song on my list. This was also her biggest hit, and while I love it, I think she has better to offer. Anyway, it's about this song right now. I love the South American flair to the song. plus, she really does want to make me sing in Spanish, just look at her dance. She is so hypnotic, at least to me anyway. Como se llama, bonita?

leestu
Madness, “Baggy Trousers”
(1980)

One of my earliest favourite bands who had such a great sense of fun. Seeing as I was in my first years of high school when I was listening to this song, and could recite every line (and still can), it holds a place in my musical affections.

Buscemi
The Who, “Bargain”

silversurfer
Joy Division, “Shadowplay”

This song is such an intense experience. I believe it deals with alienation and helplessness - especially in regards to his relations with his audience, and I guess this ties in with Ian Curtis' own persona. The lyrics, "The assassins all grouped in four lines dancing on the floor", are so vivid and powerful, you can really feel his isolation. The bass which runs through the song is like a drill running through your head and always felt reminiscent to Black Sabbath, while the guitar riffs and drums pummel away at you. All this is compounded by Curtis' vocals though, which place a torrid spell on you, they scare you but at the same time you are mesmerized by them.

transformers
Lacuna Coil, “Within Me”

A really awesome ballad from Italian rockers Lacuna Coil. Co-vocalist Cristina Scabbia has one of the most stunning voices I have ever heard.

W
Rage Against the Machine, “The Ghost of Tom Joad”

I've been listening to this song since the late 90's (I got a "radio station only" cd, so I had it years before it was released). I didn't realize it was a Springsteen song until I put this together. It feels more like a Rage song than a Boss song with all the protesting/literary characters/etc.

Banks
Eddie Murphy feat. Rick James, “Party All The Time”

I can only imagine the amounts of shit I’ll get for this one, but I love this song like no other. I actually believe Eddie can sing and he should’ve went further with it, and come on – who doesn’t love Rick James? (Speaking of which, I’m surprised “Mary Jane” hasn’t made an appearance yet.)

englishozzy
Jimmy Eat World, "Sweetness”

One of my original bands that I listened to growing up as a kid and that swayed me to the Alternative Rock scene that I so love now. Great song from a very underachieving band.

BarcaRulz
The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”
(also W's #62)

Was very happy to see W give it some love earlier on in the countdown, and here it is again. This IMO is the best of the Rolling Stones, and I love every second of it.

Ron Burgundy
Hoodoo Gurus, “Whats My Scene”

A fave of mine from this Aussie band, Midnight Oil deserve a mention too as they play similar type stuff. Cool little video too.

Chienfantome
Lou Reed, “Coney Island Baby”

I first heard this song back in 1999. It was in the trailer for the Vietnamese film “Vertical Ray of the Sun” by Tran Anh Hung (and then, it was in the film), the same director who used Radiohead’s “Creep” in his film Cyclo. After seeing the film, I became infatuated with this song. There is a tempo to it, soft with flashes of energy, a static rhythm enlightened by the riffs of guitar and Reed’s voice that seem to enter a sort of trance at one point. I know it’s a long song, but one you don’t want to end. I never want it to end once it starts.

Frendo
Queens of the Stone Age, “If Only”

Apparently quite a few of us love this band, and this is my fave by them. From their debut album, it’s got a pretty simple riff as the hook, but is great to chill to. Almost zen-like in simplicity, yet still rocking in that trademark Queens robot-rock kind of way.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer -- Joy Division, “Shadowplay”
I was going to compare his vocals to a drill in my head, but you beat me to it.

Shrykespeare -- KMFDM, “Juke Joint Jezebel” (1995)
I finally broke down and actually watched Mortal Kombat for the first time just the other day (out of some misguided devotion to Christopher Lambert, I guess). I actually don't remember which part of the movie this song featured in, unfortunately. But, then again, I've already erased most memories of that traumatic experience altogether. As for the song itself, I kinda dug it, but (I'll ground my comments by saying), in a way, I felt like I could just listen to NIN for a more satisfying--though similar--effect. To be fair, that probably says more about my personal take on industrial music in general rather than providing any direct criticism of the song itself.

Numbersix -- Elliott Smith, “Needle in the Hay” (1995)
Love the song. And its perfect use in the Royal Tenenbaums makes it all the more special.

Geezer -- Bad Religion, “Sorrow”
I'm just stating to generally associate pop-punk with Geezer. If I had heard this on the radio today, I would've thought, "Hey, Geez would like this." (Note: this was one of the four songs I correctly assigned to its owner in the contest)

becs -- Garbage, “#1 Crush”
Man, this brings me back. Somehow this song NEVER grew on me--despite me being a big fan of the debut album as well as this song's A-side ("Vow"). I've just never found it particularly catchy or even likable. (Note: this was one of the four songs I correctly assigned to its owner in the contest)

leestu -- Madness, “Baggy Trousers” (1980)
Kinda enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of the Specials--and I think the similarities exist even beyond just the wacky accents. Though, I gotta say, it sounds like the band is having more fun playing the song than I am listening to it. Let me in on the secret, Madness!

Buscemi -- The Who, “Bargain”
Awesome song. Two album-cuts from the same record that I think are underrated include "My Wife" and "Going Mobile." Any thoughts on those?

W -- Rage Against the Machine, “The Ghost of Tom Joad”
Wait... this is a Springsteen song? (Just listened to the original... now I have to mop up my brains from off the floor).

Banks -- Eddie Murphy feat. Rick James, “Party All The Time”
I dig this--but only when approached as pure novelty. As a "real" song, I don't know what to say...

englishozzy -- Jimmy Eat World, "Sweetness”
Didn't dislike it as much as I do some of their material. So that's something.

BarcaRulz -- The Rolling Stones, “Paint It Black”
One of the best songs from one of the best Stones albums. Good choice.

Chienfantome -- Lou Reed, “Coney Island Baby”
I envy you. I had actually absorbed the entire Velvet Underground discography before I got into Lou Reed's solo stuff. To be honest, I was a little bit underwhelmed. But, you (on the other hand), are approaching it from the other way. As you listen to more and more VU, you have so much cool shit to look forward to!!

transformers -- Lacuna Coil, “Within Me”
undeadmonkey -- Shakira (feat. Wyclef Jean), “Hips Don't Lie”
These were the other two that I guessed correctly in the contest.
Last edited by NSpan on June 12th, 2010, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My thoughts (in order of preference):

becs – Garbage, “#1 Crush” – Great song. Love Garbage. Didn't care for the movie, but this song more than stands apart from it. (9)

Ron Burgundy – Hoodoo Gurus, “What's My Scene” – Dude, you like the Gurus?! That is just AWESOME! I've always had a soft spot for this group, and one of their songs (this one, to be exact) just BARELY missed my list (and was a #1 hit on Billboard's Modern Rock chart in '89). I actually remember listening to “Magnum Cum Louder” (their 2nd album) at a friend's house, and from that point on I was a fan. (Great to see that they're recording again! Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZMSru8PjRs.) (8)

BarcaRulz – The Rolling Stones, “Paint it Black” – Great choice. (8)

Banks – Eddie Murphy (feat. Rick James), “Party All the Time” – No shit from me, dude. If it's from the 80's and is even remotely cool, I'll probably like it. (Grin.) Lots of actors were recording songs at the time, like Don Johnson (gack) and Bruce Willis (fair). Eddie actually had a Top 5 hit with this, and, like you, I wonder why he didn't take it further. Maybe he'll return to it now that voicing Donkey has run its course. (7)

Frendo – Queens of the Stone Age, “If Only” – Lots of QotSA I've heard, but I'm rather surprised no one's picked “No One Knows”. That's always been my favorite. This was pretty good, too. (7)

Buscemi – The Who, “Bargain” – Heard this song a million times, never knew the title. Good song. (7)

transformers – Lacuna Coil, “Within Me” – I love a great female-led goth track, but this song just never made the leap from “good” to “great” for me. Can you recommend some more of their up-tempo stuff? (6)

leestu – Madness, "Baggy Trousers" - Ahh, Madness. Naturally, everyone knows them for “Our House”, which is a song I will always treasure. Apart from that, I only (barely) remember “It Must Be Love” and “One Step Beyond”. Their music was very playful, kind of like a “schoolboy's ska”. They were a breath of fresh air in the early 80's. By chance, leestu, do you like The Housemartins? If you like Madness, you may like them too. I dare you not to smile at this, or even get up and do the spazzy “white guy” dancing! (6)

silversurfer – Joy Division, “Shadowplay” – Not bad, but I'm just not into this group. I mean, I'm grateful that New Order sprang from the ashes of Joy Division's demise, but it really is amazing how different the songs sound by making the change from Ian Curtis to Bernard Sumner. (6)

NSpan – The Band, “The Weight” – Wow, I've actually heard this one before. It's pretty good. (5)

Geezer – Bad Religion, “Sorrow” – It was just okay. I liked your previous song by them better. (5)

englishozzy – Jimmy Eat World, “Sweetness” – I like a few Jimmy songs, particularly “The Middle” and “Anthem”. Here I just think they just tried too hard to sound like a modern-day Journey. (5)

undeadmonkey – Shakira, “Hips Don't Lie” – This actually isn't a bad song, but I find those trumpets that sound like they came from medieval England very off-putting. And now I've got this song stuck in my head. Crap... (5)

numbersix – Elliott Smith, “Needle in the Hay” – I found this very boring. (4)

W – Rage Against the Machine, “The Ghost of Tom Joad” – I'm not saying it again. (3)

Chienfantome – Lou Reed, “Coney Island Baby” – Nor this either. (3)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Oh God, Don Johnson's Heartbeat was bad.

The worst part about this video: it even had its own making of video released to stores! Did they really expect another Thriller?

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare wrote:Okay, it's roughly ninety minutes before I post Song #31, so why don't I go ahead and reveal how the contest went.

Without revealing the songs (just yet), here is how everyone who turned in an entry did:

Winner: Silversurfer (12/12 correct)

Others:
numbersix (7/12)
BarcaRulz (6/12)
NSpan (4/12)
transformers (4/12)
undeadmonkey (4/12)
becs (2/12)
leestu (2/12)

Everyone got UDM's choice right (let's face it, could it have been EASIER?) The others that people guessed right were mine (5 people), Geezer (4 people), becs (4 people), englishozzy (4 people), BarcaRulz (3 people), NSpan (3 people), silversurfer (2 people), leestu (2 people), transformers (2 people) and W (2 people). The ones whose choices fooled just about everyone were Buscemi and numbersix: only surfer got those two right.
Shryke: I just checked my email to you and I got 5 right: I got the picks from You, Six, UDM, Surfer & Barca right.

And yes I liked Housemartins. I think it was Happy Hour that was the first song I heard. Had London 0, Hull 4 on tape and still have their compilation on CD. I whack it on every now and again.