Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by Chienfantome »

NSpan wrote:Chienfantome -- Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine”
This was awesome. I've definitely never heard it before--but it seemed like I already knew it. It's reminiscent of something, but I can't place it. (Does anyone else know what I might be thinking of?) Either way, I loved it.
Aaaaaaaaaaah, finally, someone loves this song, thank you NSpan, I was beginning to think that all english speaking people would be allergic to this French song !! I'm relieved, one enthusiastic opinion is good enough for me :D I don't know what it could be reminiscent of though.

NSpan wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:Thanks NSpan ! It's nice of you to say that.
Is your French good enough to write this down, or did you get a little help ?^^
I would just say that between us, you can tell me "tu" and not "vous", which is much too polite for the two of us.
Thanks again man :)
I'll admit, I definitely needed some help on this. Though, I know enough Latin and Spanish that I can usually figure out a bit o' French on my own (provided that it's written down and you give me some time to work it out in my head). Wasn't sure about the level of formality, seeing as they were words of condolence.
Good to know, man, good to know^^
As for the formality, it doesn't really matter what is the situation, like here condolences. The level of formality only depends on who you are talking to. A person you don't know, "vous". Me, definitely "tu" ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Chienfantome wrote:Good to know, man, good to know^^
As for the formality, it doesn't really matter what is the situation, like here condolences. The level of formality only depends on who you are talking to. A person you don't know, "vous". Me, definitely "tu" ;)
Ah! Thanks for the tips.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

transformers -- Metallica, “Creeping Death”
Fuuuuuuck yeah. No Metallica made my 100, but they'd be all over my 250. This track rocks, but I prefer Master of Puppets as a whole.

W -- Merle Haggard, “Fightin' Side of Me”
Merle cashin' in on a political stance, again. Not bad (at least we didn't have to hear Pink's views on "politics")--but I far prefer "Muskogee."

Banks -- Stevie Wonder, “My Cherie Amour”
I got my #1 Stevie song coming up--we can compare notes then.

Chienfantome -- Cat Power, “The Greatest”
Heard this yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frtm7qrcG8U

Ron Burgundy - Nine Inch Nails, "Only"
Doesn't compare to anything from those first two (or three) LPs... but I like it. I actually saw him/them on this tour. Good show, fo' sho. Felt a BIT like a multimedia presentation, though...

Shrykespeare -- Xymox, “Obsession” (1989)
Music didn't do much for me... but that Evil Dead / Willow / Fallout video was fun.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Morrissey, “Every Day Is Like Sunday” (1988) - I'm not a huge fan of Morrissey's solo career, but this is definitely one of his best. Another song about living somewhere that is frankly boring and wanting to get out. Morrissey had a knack at writing music for sour adolescents, and making it really good.

NSpan: Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer” (1975) - This is without doubt one of my favourite Neil Young songs. A beautiful song that could go on forever and I wouldn't complain. A realy dreamy, melancholic (spleen!) feel to it. Love every second. Although it's kinda political, in that it makes reference to colonialism and all. Have you ever heard the cover of it sung by Jim Jarmusch and played by Deerhunter's Bradford Cox and No Age's Randy Randall? It's really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_gBmL6sRDk

Geezer: Everclear, "Santa Monica" - Again, slightly better than the last Everclear song. At this rate, if you post another 10 more songs, maybe the last one will actually be good! As for the lyrics, I dunno, man. It's a song about being used and resenting that. The kinda stuff Alanis Morissette screeches on about. Is it different enough that it's from a fella's perspective? Perhaps, perhaps.

becs: Clint Mansell, "Lux Aeterna” - I love this song, but hate this version. I much prefer the Requiem for a Dream stuff with the Kronos Quartet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBeZnruE5c . It's much more understated and brooding. The version you posted should be reserved only for movie trailers and battle scenes. It's completely over the top and overblown.

Also, to address Shryke's note, I have two more classical pieces to come. One has been used in a few films, most notably a film from 2007

undeadmonkey: The Magic Numbers, “Take A Chance” - It's kinda nice, like a lot of the stuff I've heard from them. But almost instantaneously forgettable.

leestu: Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun” (1983) - Incredibly catchy song that's pretty much in every indie nightclub I've ever been to over here.

Buscemi: a-ha, “Take on Me” - aha don't have many great songs, but this is a classic. One you'll often hear at karoeke nights, and it's always amusing to try and hear drunken loons reach for the high note, and fail miserably.

silversurfer: R.E.M., “Nightswimming” - I always love this song for the first minute, and from then on it gets a little boring. A good vocal performance from Stipe, though.

transformers: Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen” - I thought the choruses were quite strong, but the rest was just indistinct metal.

W: The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man” - I wasn't a huge fan. To me it felt like typical 70's rock with a dash of Nashville, with neither the original genres nor this mix impressing me much.

Banks: Gnarls Barkley, “Blind Mary” - I agree that Barkley does often sound different (although I grew sick of Crazy very quickly. Thankfully Kick Ass utilised it very well and made it entertaining to me once more), but this is not one of those songs. sounds painfully familiar. And not in a good way.

englishozzy: 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite” - A bit commercial? A lot commercial. They sound like rent-a-rock-band.

BarcaRulz: The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop” (also leestu's #79) - A stupendous song. I'll never get tired of this.

Ron Burgundy: Coolio feat. LV, “Gangsta's Paradise” (also Buscemi's #100) - What happened to Coolio? People realised that this song wasn't as good as they thought, and he rightfully sank back into the shadows, resorting to the theme tune of Keenan and Kel.

Chienfantome: Muse, “Uprising” - Oh, Chien. Oh dear. They got to you too? I feel like I'm Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Only replace the subject with Muse Fans. Once there's enough of you you'll start hunting down people like me, communicating with each other through flamboyant, over-the-top Matt Bellamy-like ear-grating screeching as you chase me though cities, converting or killing me (I choose the latter).

Frendo: Aesop Rock, “Daylight” - I have to confess I have no idea what they're saying in this song. I even looking at the lyrics online and I couldn't make out most of it (besides that section you referred to). If you understand the song I'd love to hear what you think they're on about. Someone needs to buy me an urban dictionary.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote: MIA “World Town”[/b]
I first heard of MIA when she participated in the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but since then, I had not really listened to anything of hers… This one doesn’t really makes me want to listen to more of her. The weird sounds annoy me more than seduce me.
Think you got the wrong person. MIA wasn't involved in the music scene until 2003 or so, well after Moulin Rouge.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
Chienfantome wrote: MIA “World Town”[/b]
I first heard of MIA when she participated in the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but since then, I had not really listened to anything of hers… This one doesn’t really makes me want to listen to more of her. The weird sounds annoy me more than seduce me.
Think you got the wrong person. MIA wasn't involved in the music scene until 2003 or so, well after Moulin Rouge.
Indeed, my mistake, it is Mya and not MIA that was part of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. It sounds exactly the same, I thought it was the same girl. My bad !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

NSpan wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:Good to know, man, good to know^^
Ah! Thanks for the tips.
Always a pleasure NSpan ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Chienfantome: Muse, “Uprising” - Oh, Chien. Oh dear. They got to you too? I feel like I'm Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Only replace the subject with Muse Fans. Once there's enough of you you'll start hunting down people like me, communicating with each other through flamboyant, over-the-top Matt Bellamy-like ear-grating screeching as you chase me though cities, converting or killing me (I choose the latter).
Yes, they got to me too, Six. Like I said, I'm torn on this band, love some / ignore some... BUt don't worry I won't try to convert nor kill you, I'm not enough of a fan to do so ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

NSpan: Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer” (1975)
I saw this guy at Big Day Out, he was smashing his broken strings on the guitar, it was almost freaky. Didn't like it, or his stuff.

leestu: Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun” (1983) -
I want to hear these guys, but i cant say anything till i heard em

Buscemi: a-ha, “Take on Me”
You know, i can reach that high note, but i need at least 7 drinks. Good song, i like it. 7.5/10

silversurfer: R.E.M., “Nightswimming”
I like R.E.M. But this song is a little down on my list. Ok 5.5/10

transformers: Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen”
I think i know these guys, but they are very heavy

W: The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man”

this guys ramble on, and i take no interest. its on guitar hero. 2/10

englishozzy: 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite” -
i dont mind this one. commercial city though. 5.5/10

BarcaRulz: The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop” (also leestu's #79)
must listen to this

Chienfantome: Muse, “Uprising” -
dont mind six, his taste is very particular, ill rip on his next songs hahaha. No this song is ok, i actually dont mind it. 6.5/10

Frendo: Aesop Rock, “Daylight”
must listen to this one, i liked one of his songs
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Xymox, “Obsession” (1989) - Why would I have any interest in a second rate The Cure. If I want The Cure I'll listen to them. Just sounded like they had too much of a blatant er, 'obsession' with the ultimate goth rock band. Trying to cast The Cure out of my mind, and even then the song didn't have enough of a punch to keep me interested. I'll have forgotten it by the time NSpan's pick is over.

NSpan: King Crimson, “Starless” - I've been meaning to listen to some King Crimson for years (ever since first seeing that stunning album artwork). I didn't have a clue what they sounded like but I was intrigued. You have given an indication during this countdown to their style, but even then I wasn't expecting what I got. I definitely got a sense of Floyd in there, from the vocals to the epic nature of the song. It slowly builds quite nicely, and explodes into some weird jazz funk rock fusion I would half expect on an episode of The Mighty Boosh. The last minute or so was pretty awesome though. This is gonna need a lot of listens to see what makes this so important to you, as obviously there is something there, just not sure if I dig it or not yet. Interesting to say the least.

Numbersix: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, “Maps” (2003) - I have no idea what I said for becs' pick, but I do like this song. Possibly their defining moment, despite the garage rock infused first album. This song just seemed to come out of nowhere on the record, suddenly displaying Karen's frailty after such a powerful, dominating performance up until this point on the album. I don't think I knew it was about someone from the Liars. On a side note I was very close to having a Liars song in my countdown.

Geezer: Nirvana, "All Apologies" (also Buscemi's #40) - Still a really good song, if I was to have any Nirvana on my list this could have been the song.

becs: My Chemical Romance, "I Don't Love You” - I think you are on a one woman mission to convert the fantaverse to your thinking regarding MCR (much like I will with The Smashing Pumpkins). I don't mind this song, not as good as some of the stuff you have already posted, but a lot better than the last ballad, Cancer.

undeadmonkey: Willie Nelson (feat. Lee Ann Womack), “Mendocino County Line” - Yeah, this was a little too cheesy for me. Some country is ok, some is not. This is definitely a not.

leestu: Spacemen 3, “Revolution” (1989) - Man, I haven't listened to any Spacemen 3 in a long time. Good to hear some stuff again. Think I might have to dig out The Perfect Prescription and give it another listen. Good pick too, lots of the Velvets and Stooges in there, though I'd probably have picked Things'll Never Be The Same myself.

Buscemi: Oasis, “Wonderwall” (also englishozzy's #37) - I guess this is why I got bored of Oasis in the first place, too much in too short a space of time. Good song, but I'm done with it once again for another 10 years!

transformers: Muse, “Hysteria” (also becs' #39) - I think I may just change my list and make my top twenty Muse songs just so that I can drive six insane! And possibly explode. That is definitely worth considering. Good song (though not great - which is pretty much my consensus on the entire of Absolution), but not as good as what follows:

englishozzy: Muse, "Plug In Baby”
Not my favourite from Origin..(I'd have gone with New Born) but definitely one of their best singles. Killer chorus.

W: Jimi Hendrix (Band of Gypsies), “Machine Gun” - I only own Electric Ladyland (their debut record is extortiante over here, still waiting for a sale on it) so I don't know this song. Decent, without being great I feel. As Shryke mentioned, it felt more like an exercise in rock at times, although some moments were inspired. Will give this another listen though.

Banks: M.I.A., “World Town” - I appreciate what the girl does, she tries something different and doesn't just stick to one style, but this song isn't one of my favourites of hers.

BarcaRulz: Arctic Monkeys, “When the Sun Goes Down” - Really like this song. Not as good as Dancefloor, but still a really catchy song. I love the sudden changes in pace, just really jerks against your rhythm, but in a good way.

Ron Burgundy: Afrika Bambaataa and Leftfield, “Afrika Shox” - I can appreciate some Leftfield, and while this was okay, it wasn't really a stand out ofr me. Cool video though.

Chienfantome: Téléphone, “La Bombe Humaine” - Hmm, this felt very dated, like some kind of reject from the mid 70s. Not for me I'm afraid.

Frendo: Velvet Underground, “Heroin” - Not my favourite Velvet's track, or even my favourite from the record (you will hear that in the future), but still a brilliant track. Another track with great changes of pace, almost at a standstill at points before launching into a full gallop. Lou sounds great here too.

Favourite of the round would be Leestu's Spacemen 3 song.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote: NSpan: Neil Young, “Cortez the Killer” (1975) - This is without doubt one of my favourite Neil Young songs. A beautiful song that could go on forever and I wouldn't complain. A realy dreamy, melancholic (spleen!) feel to it. Love every second. Although it's kinda political, in that it makes reference to colonialism and all. Have you ever heard the cover of it sung by Jim Jarmusch and played by Deerhunter's Bradford Cox and No Age's Randy Randall? It's really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_gBmL6sRDk
Ha. That WAS pretty good. I was aware that this existed, but I had never sought it out. Turns out they do a pretty solid cover--though, was Jarmusch's presence even needed?

Also, one final note on my King Crimson pick: Kurt Cobain was quoted as saying Red (the record on which "Starless" appears), is the "greatest album of all-time" and cited it as a major source of influence and inspiration.. Kinda neat, eh Geezer?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- Morrissey, “Every Day Is Like Sunday” (1988)
I really like it. I'm usually not a huge fan of his solo work, but this is an exception. I wonder if this was originally written as (or intended to be) a Smiths song. Good pick, mate.

Numbersix -- Television, “Marquee Moon” (1977)
Why, why, why didn't I own this album until only this year? I've been missing out. And why would anyone prefer the trimmed version?? (In terms of initial response, I think I originally compared it to a blend of the Violent Femmes, the Residents, and... XTC, maybe?)

Geezer -- Everclear, "Santa Monica"
Easily the best from an otherwise-forgettable band. Good choice.

becs -- Clint Mansell, "Lux Aeterna”
Once you know this song, it is ridiculous how often it gets recycled. Doesn't diminish the original quality, though. Powerful stuff.

undeadmonkey -- The Magic Numbers, “Take A Chance”
Never heard this before. That thumping melody, the backup vocals, and that catchy guitar combine to make this stand out above the work of their indie-rock peers. I'm gonna bookmark this for later review. Nice pick.

leestu -- Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun” (1983)
I'm heart-broken that I never saw these guys perform live. (The closest I got was, I suppose, seeing the Meat Puppets). A lot of their songs were in consideration for my top 100. In addition to this song, I thought about adding "Kiss Off," "Add It Up," "Jesus Walking on the Water," "Sweet Misery Blues," and/or "Prove My Love." In the end, none of them made the cut (sadly). Glad to see they're gettin' some love on the countdown nonetheless. This may be a stupid question, but you ARE familiar with the original version of "Children of the Revolution," yes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1CB5xzbm8

Buscemi -- a-ha, “Take on Me”
I always hated this song--until a few years ago when one of my favorite local bands began covering it on a regular basis. They finally wore me down, and now I have a soft spot for it. I still recognize the near-fatal levels of cheese emanating from it--but now it's the fun kind of cheese that I don't mind so much.

silversurfer -- R.E.M., “Nightswimming”
Ooooo, the "British version," eh? Pretty fancy. Anyway, as a rule, I fucking hate Michael Stipe. Also, I saw REM live--and they bored the shit out of me. That said, I had this album on cassette and, when I hear it nowadays, it makes me wanna take back all the horrible things I say about these guys. Out of stubborn pride, I don't. And, when I see Michael Stipe interviewed, I'm glad I stuck to my guns.

transformers -- Mastodon, “Colony Of Birchmen”
I think Josh Homme's appearance actually brings that track down a little bit. I'm gonna listen to a live version (sans Homme) and see if I prefer it.

W -- The Allman Brothers Band, “Ramblin' Man”
My dad would disown me if he knew there were no Allmans in my Top 100. Glad somebody is representin'. I actually considered both "Wasted Words" and "Jessica"--but, ultimately, neither made the cut. Great choice, compadre.

Banks -- Gnarls Barkley, “Blind Mary”
This song has REALLY grown on me since its first release. I love Danger Mouse (his musical sensibilities are kin to that of Dan the Automator), and these guys even put on a pretty good live show. On a sidenote, that still image is from FLCL--which is, aside from Cowboy Bebop, one of the very very few action anime shows that I actually enjoyed.

englishozzy -- 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite”
I absolutely hate this song. I think I'm too hard on it--as it was released in perfect conjunction with my growing hatred of (at the time) modern pop-music. This particular song was used as evidence for my case against the state of FM radio, as there was a brief period circa 2000 where I could switch to three different stations and find this playing on all of them. Anyway, I think if I could clear the memory banks and hear this for the first time ever today, I wouldn't "hate" it. But I still wouldn't like it.

BarcaRulz -- The Ramones, “Blitzkrieg Bop”
Great pick. If I had to pick a favorite of theirs, I just might agree with ya on this one.

Chienfantome -- Muse, “Uprising
Catchy and powerful. Amazing that these guys are still pumping out quality music. When I first got into this band, I honestly had no idea that they'd maintain such momentum for so long (a handful of missteps not withstanding). They put on a killer live show, btw.

Frendo -- Aesop Rock, “Daylight”
I didn't particularly hate it, but if I heard it randomly on the radio, I certainly wouldn't have immediately considered it as the standout pinnacle of "intelligent" rap that I've heard many people describe it as.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Nspan - There's already been "Whipping Post" and "Ramblin' Man" and there's one more coming...

RonB - It's on Rock Band 2 (per my description), though I've been into The ABB years before Guitar Hero/Rock Band/whatever else is out there.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote: leestu -- Violent Femmes, “Blister In The Sun” (1983)
I'm heart-broken that I never saw these guys perform live. (The closest I got was, I suppose, seeing the Meat Puppets). A lot of their songs were in consideration for my top 100. In addition to this song, I thought about adding "Kiss Off," "Add It Up," "Jesus Walking on the Water," "Sweet Misery Blues," and/or "Prove My Love." In the end, none of them made the cut (sadly). Glad to see they're gettin' some love on the countdown nonetheless. This may be a stupid question, but you ARE familiar with the original version of "Children of the Revolution," yes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u1CB5xzbm8
Yes. It was actually due to the Femmes version, that I sought out the original. I liked the T Rex original better and sought out more of their stuff. Still have never owned or heard an album of theirs but I do have a compilation.
On a similar note, even though I had "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" I wasn't aware Syd Barrett had any solo work until the Jesus And Mary Chain's debut single "Upside Down" had a cover of "Vegetable Man" as the B-side. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnayLVt2bW0
So I dipped into T-Rex through Violent Femmes, and Syd Barrett through JAMC.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

A fine example of good music leading to good music.

On a sidenote, I just stumbled across this:

http://www.dogmaticblog.com/2007/06/28/ ... s-a-farce/

This is nothing new--and it's not like Howard Stern is "tearing the lid off" of this story. But this link has some of Zeppelin's more blatant forgeries listed, and it contains an MP3 broadcast of them comparing the source material to what ended up on the Zepp albums. If you've never heard this stuff before, Stern lays it all out for easy consumption.