Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#31

Post by W »

Maybe I'm a little grumpy today considering my (approximate) tenth favorite Skynard song is my favorite of the round?

Frendo
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “That Smell” - I could name about 10 Skynard songs that I like better, but who cares? It's a good one.

Chienfantome
Mercury Rev, “The Dark is Rising” - Sorry. Didn't like his voice, lyrics, or how the music and vocalist fit together.

Ron Burgundy
The Police, “Message In a Bottle” - I am a mild fan of The Police (not of Sting, though) and this is my favorite track of theirs. It's probably considered New Wave, but with a Reggae twist (I just looked the song up on Wikipedia and it says I'm basically right, but its Wikipedia).

BarcaRulz
Hard-Fi, “Living For the Weekend” - A little bland/generic for me.

englishozzy
Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus” - Not anything special for me, sorry.

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Widower” - Didn't like this one at all...

Shrykespeare
MGMT, “Time to Pretend” (2008) - A little too electronic for me...

NSpan
Tom Waits, “Goin' Down Slow” (1971) - It was merely ok.

Numbersix
Nina Simone, “Wild is the Wind” (1966) - I remember this from something... It's decent.

Geezer
Weezer, “Buddy Holly” (also Buscemi's #77 and becs' #66) - I think the only Weezer song I like is "Say it Ain't So."

becs
Muse, “Hysteria” - At least now I know that I'm really not a fan of Muse.

undeadmonkey
Other Lives, “Black Tables” - I wasn't a fan of the slow and the thoughtful this time.

leestu
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never Understand” (1985) - Literally like nails on a chalkboard.

Buscemi
Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” - Eh... is all I can say on this one.

silversurfer
Smashing Pumpkins, “Siva” - Besides the rare track, I'm not a Pumpkins fan. This one isn't that track. You might get a kick out of this, though:

Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

undeadmonkey wrote:

W
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, “Fishin' in the Dark”

You'll get no flak from me. This was an awesome pick. First of all, just because something is cheesy, doesnt make something bad. Country music to me is kind of like when you were 5 and your listening to your drunk grandpa telling stories of walking 10 miles in rain and snow to get to his lover and thinking WOW. but now your older you realize what booze does to people, you can't take him serious anymore but you still like listening to his stories, it reminds you of when you where a little kid and hearing these tall tales and it just let's you pretend for a while that you are little again with no worries of the grown up world. and basically that is what all entertainment is for. but i'm digressing. so yes, awesome song! favorite of the round.
I didn't expect that for multiple reasons...
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Leestu, if I was going to check out some more Mercury Rev, what would be a good starter album? (I don't usually do greatest hits unless it's a band I really have no desire hearing more from, or if the rest of the songs are mainly filler...I doubt a band with this sound is like that though).

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

For more of the trippy dreamy experimental guitar sound of "Car Wash Hair" start with their debut "Yerself Is Steam", maybe use this song from that album as a judge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuMd9cAs60. If you like these two you should love the whole album.

For their more polished later sound like Chien's pick I would recommend ""Deserter's Songs", an excellent album that had a few small hits from it, or "Snowflake Midnight" from a couple of years ago.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: MGMT, “Time to Pretend” (2008) - This was my introduction to MGMT and after hearing it I wanted nothing to do with the band. I found that keyboard riff thing really, really annoying and very persistant. I found the vocals lazy, and the song overall quite muted in a bad way. I still think all of those things, but at least they have Electric Feel to cancel this out. That being said, you get points for liking a new band and not dismissing them as a rip-off of [insert seminal group from the 60's, 70's, or 80's].

NSpan: Tom Waits, “Goin' Down Slow” (1971) - Trust NSpan to pick one of the few tom Waits song I don't know! I suspect this is from one of the Early Years compilations, right? to be honest, pal, there's literally 100 Tom Waits song I'd rate higher than this. I'm not saying it's bad, it's a very nice tune. But it just doesn't sound very distinct, or different, or interesting. It kinda sounds like lazy bar-room jazz/blues. A lot of his 70's career sounded like that, but I just think he did it better than this song. It's kinda like picking one of The Beatles early demos of the Stones's early covers when they achieved so much more.

Geezer: Weezer, “Buddy Holly” (also Buscemi's #77 and becs' #66) - I'm beginning to think if I were to do my Top 100 today, this would squeeze in. Never gets old, or boring.

becs: Muse, “Hysteria” - Another one of the Bad Muse examples I ramble on about. Didn't like the lyrics (seriously, all they amount to is "I want you". Listen to Elvis costello's aptly named "I Want You" for a much better attempt at a song about obsession) that much, and the music was okay, but his vocals just get on my nerves. It's like Thom Yorke on coke.

undeadmonkey: Other Lives, “Black Tables” - Well, I was able to listen to this song to the end without wanting to tear my hair out, so that's a big plus for you ;). Not bad. A bit indistinct. No idea about the lyrics, besides a black table referring to poker, when you have a good hand but the cards on the table make them useless.

leestu: The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never Understand” (1985) - Yet another band I've heard a lot about but never got round to giving my attention to. So glad you posted that. I can see the appeal of these guys. I really liked the pace, and that odd metallic guitar sound. It was like a buzzsaw or something. Good, although it definitely sounded like a band finding their voice. Must pick up Psychocandy one of these days to give these guys a proper chance. It's also worth pointing out that I had no idea how early these gusy were, compared to My Bloody Valentine, who were around in the early 90's.

Buscemi: Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart” - One of the best pop songs ever written. That melody is so good that it carries the song. The drumming is perfect, love the synths, and they're not even the best part. In terms of a relationship falling apart, I don't think there's any lyrics better than this, and I love the juxtaposition of the sentiment versus the upbeat tune. Pure genius.

silversurfer: Smashing Pumpkins, “Siva” - this has been a round of lesser known songs from established and talented acts. Again, I think this is a very good song but to me it sounds like a compilation of ideas from other bands at the time. That whole Gish album reminds me a lot of Nirvana's bleach and Radiohead's Pablo Honey in that they're almost like demos for a band who are trying to find their style, and not quite achieving it. Yet.

transformers: The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Widower” - I agree with you about the dynamic range of this song. and compared to the song you posted yesterday, the various elements and layers actually do seem to blend together. It's like prog-metal or something, but it works for me. Not bad at all.

W: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, “Fishin' in the Dark” - You said it, W. In fact your description of your song has taken all of the adjectives I was gonna use ;-). UDM's justification of the song was very good, so I'll just back away silently from this one!

englishozzy:Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus” - Not really my thing. Don't know why you're calling them progressive rock, though. It's just poppy indie music to me. Sounds a bit like Keane, but even worse!

BarcaRulz: Hard-Fi, “Living For the Weekend” - And here's me thinking this was a Killers song all along. Doesn't really matter, though, it doesn't change my opinion of the song. The music isn't bad, but if this song was suddenly erased from existence I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ron Burgundy: The Police, “Message In a Bottle” - there's only a handful of Police songs I actually enjoy, and this is one of them. A nice, simply constructed song.

Chienfantome: Mercury Rev, “The Dark is Rising” - Interesting to see two sides of this band, with about a decade separating the songs. I dunno, chien, there seems to be too large a contrast in the song. The orchestral bursts are too much, almost melodramatic, and his voice is too weak to even come close to it. Voices like that work with the right lo-fi balance, and this just didn't blend together for me. There's a couple off the Deserter's Songs record I'd pick above this.

Frendo: Lynyrd Skynyrd, “That Smell” - I actually prefer this to Sweet Home Alabama. I like the rhythm of it. sure, it's very typical 70's rock but it was toe-tappingly fun.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Song 39.

Shrykespeare
MGMT, “Time to Pretend” (2008)
Although I quite like "Kids" I've always sort of ignored this song, but listening to it today with critical ears it's not that bad. I quite enjoyed it. Better than "Electric Feel" which I don't really like at all. So they have one song I really like, one I really don't, and this one sits in the middle.
leestu – The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Never Understand” – God, it's been two decades since I've heard this! Gotta love that sound that 80's alternative band created, and JaMC was one of the better ones at showcasing it. “Automatic” was such a terrific album! Unfortunately, I think it was “Honey's Dead” that spelled the beginning of the end for them, though I did like “Sometimes Always” (which featured Mazzy Star's Hope Sandoval on guest vocals). Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAcS4c0-Qk (7)
"Sometimes Always" was an early consideration and if another JaMC song had of made my list it would have been this or "Happy When It Rains".

NSpan
Tom Waits, “Goin' Down Slow” (1971)
I much prefer it when his voice does sound like he just smoked 6000 cigarettes. That's part of what makes him unique. So yeah, didn't really like this one as much as some others I've heard.

Numbersix
Nina Simone, “Wild is the Wind” (1966)
Yeah not bad. Loved her voice. I know this song from David Bowie's "Station To Station" album but had never heard any other version until now. They are quite different from each other.It would probably never happen but I would love to hear this played in a dark late night cafe.

Geezer
Weezer, “Buddy Holly” (also Buscemi's #77 and becs' #66)
Can't remember what I said previously about this but I do like it, just not as much as other Weezer songs from this countdown.

becs
Muse, “Hysteria”
Great song. Muse have just announced their tour dates for Australia in December and hopefully I will be getting tickets when they go on sale this Monday.

undeadmonkey
Other Lives, “Black Tables”
Never heard of them but surprisingly I really liked this. One of your best picks for quite a while.

Buscemi
Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”

silversurfer
Smashing Pumpkins, “Siva”
Excellent song from a fantastic debut album, which I no longer own, so its great to hear this again. This song will always be one of my favourites.

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Widower”
There seems to be a bit of piano today. I don't remember the previous song of theirs that you picked but I liked this. Very interesting.

W
Sorry W, but I hope you have a flak jacket, because this was bad.

englishozzy
Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus”
It started off alright but I lost interest halfway through and was bored by the end. Prog rock is really hit and miss with me, and usually more miss than hit.

BarcaRulz
Hard-Fi, “Living For the Weekend”
Nothing that I would listen to again but it was alright.

Ron Burgundy
The Police, “Message In a Bottle”
I have always had a soft spot for the Police, and unlike other acts that were charting around the same time these guys hold up well on re-listens over 20 years later. Good pick.

Chienfantome
Mercury Rev, “The Dark is Rising”
Beautiful, beautiful song. Love the fragile voice.

Frendo
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “That Smell”
I have never really liked Skynyrd (apart from "Tuesday's Gone") but this was alright.

Chien's pick was the highlight for today but I also loved Buscemi's and Surfer's picks too.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:NSpan
Toadies, “Tyler” (1994)
I really like this band, especially the first download of rarities I got from you. Have you put a 2nd one up? If so I must get around to getting it. One of the best finds from this whole countdown.
http://fs10n2.sendspace.com/dl/e14a8053 ... Feeler.zip

As I said, if you like this stuff--support the band and buy their masterpiece Rubberneck. (Amazon has it readily available for ~$10)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Sorry I'm a bit late

Shrykey
Joe Straniari « Flying in a blue dream »

Okay… the guitar intro is long… okay… is this just a piece of guitar ? Oh… 5 minutes 23 seconds… okay… Never heard of that Satriani guy, ever in my life… I’m not surprised^^ Okay, yeah, it was just a guitar intro…

NSpan
Toadies, “Tyler”

Of course, NSpan, I had never heard of this band, but that you already knew… I have to admit it’s not bad at all for a Texas band no one knows, indeed. Not bad at all.

Six
Explosions in the sky “The moon is down”

The name of the band doesn’t ring any bell… and that song is totally new to me. A much more interesting music only piece of music than Shryke’s (sorry mate). There’s a real story told through the arrangements and the unfolding of the instruments. Very nice.

Geezer
System of a down “Sugar”

Wowwwwww, my eaaaaaars ^_^ Right after Explosions in the Sky, the contrast is big ! Uninteresting to me…

Becs
Queen “The show must go on”

What can go wrong with Queen ? Sure there are some misses, but this ain’t one. Strong pick.

Undeadmonkey
Kelly Clarkson “Breakaway”

I only knew her by name as one of those American Idol girls, never ever heard her sing… Well, I could have kept living that way, probably ;)

Leestu
Mercury Rev, “Car wash hair”

As you know by now, I really like some of this band’s work. I didn’t know their early compositions. It sure is less extravagant than “The Dark is rising”. Already good. Already hypnotic (in the good way^^).

Buscemi
Nirvana, “All apologies”

A quieter Nirvana, nonetheless excellent song.

Surfer
Howlin’ Wolf “Smokestack Lightnin”

Not familiar with this song, not even familiar with Howlin’ Wolf, barely by name I’m afraid. Listenable, although nothing spectacular to my ears. The “hooo hoooo” is cool though, I have to agree ;)

Transformers
Rammstein “Feuer Frei”

No comment about any Rammstein song. Nothing to say except I don’t like.

W
Green Day “Good Ridance”

I don’t know that many Green Day songs. I don’t think I had ever heard this one. Nice to listen to, although not essential to my ears.

Englishozzy
Linkin Park “Breaking the habit”

I’m not especially a fan of Linkin Park, but I happen to find some of their songs enjoyable. This one ain’t bad, they don’t push the rock button too hard. Yeah, it’s a good one.

Barca
Prodigy “Voodoo People”

Yeah, well no… Prodigy ain’t doing it for me. I suppose in a dance club, yes, but as a song, it doesn’t work for me.

Ron B
Powderfinger “Passenger”

Never heard of this band… Nothing transcendent for me, although it’s not a bad song.

Frendo
Johnny Hobbo “Church hymn for the condemned”
Good luck on the rehab, but I can’t say I liked what I just listened to.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- MGMT, “Time to Pretend” (2008)
These guys have a few decent songs (this being one of them--though not my favorite)... But, damn, they must have an amazing PR guy. This band had been SO hyped before I bothered to give finally give 'em a listen. A bit of disappointment was inevitable.

Numbersix -- Nina Simone, “Wild is the Wind” (1966)
Beautiful song--though I don't think it's THE greatest showcase of her voice.

Geezer -- Weezer, “Buddy Holly”
What more could be said of these guys? Can it safely be said that their debut is the most represented album on our countdown so far?

becs -- Muse, “Hysteria”
Already liked the song, but I hadn't seen the video before. Good stuff.

undeadmonkey -- Other Lives, “Black Tables”
Pretty cool. It wasn't doing much for me, but the crescendo kinda pulled me back in.

leestu -- The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never Understand” (1985)
I respect these guys more than I actually enjoy their music. Even for "noise rock," they're a bit noisy.

Buscemi -- Joy Division, “Love Will Tear Us Apart”
I'm not a big fan in general... but I dig this track.

silversurfer -- Smashing Pumpkins, “Siva”
Gish was one of the first albums I ever bought for myself. I still have major nostalgia for it, but I think the Pumpkins hit their highest highs with their next two efforts. Killer song though.

transformers -- The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Widower”
Started out harmless enough, but I think it kinda falls apart about 2/3s in.

W -- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, “Fishin' in the Dark”
Cheesy, hokey.

englishozzy -- Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus”
As a Floyd fan, several people have told me that I'd LOVE Porcupine Tree. I still don't really see the connection (or, frankly, the appeal).

Gotta run, I'll finish later. (Sorry if I was a bit brief and more negative than usual in this set of responses... I didn't intend it!)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

numbersix wrote: englishozzy:Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus” - Not really my thing. Don't know why you're calling them progressive rock, though. It's just poppy indie music to me. Sounds a bit like Keane, but even worse!
Blame wikipedia, it cites them as prog-rock, which is describes as "The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter."" I can see it.
Then again, i love these guys, this song was considered for my own list, so good pick Ozzy!

Haven't had a chance to listen to things yet, but also good pick to Geezer of course, the rest will have to wait.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Shrykespeare
It was okay, I guess. I listened to the whole thing, but wouldn't have minded at all if it was turned off. Not experimental enough to warrant attention on that front, and not enough actual feeling in the music to be meaningful. The more I think about it, the less I like it. It's kind of a time and space waster to my ears, so far at least.

NSpan
Love everything Tom Waits does. A great pick from a great artist.

Numbersix
I liked this a good amount. Great voice, and a lot of feeling to the music. It did run a bit long (man, six, you just always have to have the longest songs on the list :) ), but was still great. I couldn't get much into Nina when I was younger and tried, but after this I may give more of a listen.

Geezer
Eh, never got too into Weezer to be honest. I have no burning desire to turn it off, but no desire to go buy albums or listen to their music either (except Say It Ain't So, which I do like to hear at times). Some of my friends loved them, but I never saw the big deal.

becs
Muse, “Hysteria”
Fyi, the link didn't work, but I found another on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la0SndoCI
Although a lot of Muse sounds like Bends-era Radiohead, I still tend to dig a fair amount of it. I like this song. It's cool, and though I don't think I'd listen to it all the time, I wouldn't mind hearing it every so often.

undeadmonkey
This is okay. Never heard of them before, and probably will not make an effort to, but it's not horrible.

leestu
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never Understand” (1985)
Link did not work. Here's another, but not sure if it's same version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noeTCf8PLuc
Always heard of this band, but never got to check them out. Liked this song quite a bit. Another band I will probably look more into.

Buscemi
Another band I had heard of more than heard, though I had heard one or two songs before. I liked this more than what I did before. That, or it just had to grow on me more. I may check out more from this band as well.

silversurfer
SP was one of the bands during the 'grunge' era I liked, but they weren't as high on my list as Nirvana or Alice in Chains. I have this album somewhere, but don't listen to it much. To be honest, they, along with No Doubt, are representative of music that I am fine just having in greatest hits compilation form. I like this song, and recognized it when it started, but I like other examples of their work better.

And I'll be stopping there for now. I'll finish the rest later on (hopefully tonight).

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Shrykespeare

The song that introduced me to MGMT. Obviously "Kids" is my favorite, but this one is pretty good too. 7/10.

NSpan

Not a fan at all of his stuff. 2/10.

Numbersix

Fantastic voice, can't say the same about the song. Like her other stuff more. 5/10.

Geezer

Same as before. My Weezer pick will be coming up shortly too. 7/10.

becs
Muse, “Hysteria”

Love Muse, and I really like this song. 7.5/10.

undeadmonkey

Really liked the musical part of this. Lyrics/vocals were not bad too. Good pick. 7/10.

leestu
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Never Understand” (1985)

Pretty good, although the screeching got a little annoying. 6/10.

Buscemi

Nice pick. Have always liked this song. 7/10.

silversurfer

Love these guys. This song is not my favorite, but I do like it alot. 7/10. (and thanks W for that link, loved it!).

transformers
The Dillinger Escape Plan, “Widower”

New to me and I was really liking it until the screaming started. Such a shame. For the most part I really liked this, overall though it gets docked points for the aforementioned screaming. 6/10.

W

*Throws flack at W* No, seriously, it wasn't THAT bad, but it wasn't good either. 3.5/10.

englishozzy
Porcupine Tree, "Lazarus”

New to me and I really liked it. I love the piano, especially when accompanied by a nice drum beat and good vocals. Great pick. 8/10.

Ron Burgundy
The Police, “Message In a Bottle”

This song has always been just Ok for me. 5/10.

Chienfantome
Mercury Rev, “The Dark is Rising”

Was Ok, liked some of it, didn't like other parts. 5.5/10.

Frendo
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “That Smell”

Was Ok, not something I would really listen to often. 5.5/10.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #7): #40-#3

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #38

Shrykespeare
Rob Thomas, “Little Wonders”
(2007)

I don't usually go for songs that are TOO uplifting, warm and fuzzy or sickly sweet, but this one just strikes a chord with me every time I hear it. I've always liked Rob's voice, but most of his Matchbox 20 stuff hasn't aged well, and his solo stuff is usually too poppy for me. Meet the Robinsons wasn't the most entertaining movie I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable, in a kooky, sweet and endearing way. Much like this song, which just gives me a warm feeling when I hear it. Not many songs do that.

NSpan
Cream, “Tales of Brave Ulysses”
(1967)

To me, this is the absolute highlight of the Eric Clapton's career. It showcases some amazing guitar work by Slowhand himself, powerful vocals by Jack Bruce, and a pinnacle of pop-music's late-60's love affair with psychedelia. I also adore the lyrics provided by Martin Sharp. It's pure imagery and atmosphere (shaped by the explicit literary allusion), but if you find what you hear intriguing--go ahead and google the lyrics and read along.

Numbersix
Marvin Gaye, “I Heard it Through the Grapevine”
(1968)

The second you hear those first few beats and the sounds of the organ, you just can’t help tapping your feet. Instantly and eternally catchy is the best way to describe the music. And that’s not even the best part! Marvin Gaye had one of the most amazing voices I’ve ever heard, and this is his best moment, coming at the peak of Motown’s reputation.

Geezer
Disturbed, “The Game”

I have been promising for months that a Disturbed song appears, here it is. “The Game” is their most rocking song by far for me. As soon as that chorus hits its just so in your face its incredible. Definitely not suitable for Six.

becs
Everclear, “Father of Mine”

This is really more an homage to the band than a favorite song. Ultimately their entire catalog is so strong and so ingrained in my teenage listening, its impossible to narrow it down to a single song, so really this slot could have been Heroin Girl, Santa Monica, I Will Buy You A New Life, Wonderful, Everything to Everyone, or any number of their other brilliant tracks, I just happened to be really feelin' this one when I was making my list originally so I'll stick with it. I find their tunes incredibly bouncy and happy sounding, but they almost always have a very depressing story to tell, the storytelling aspect is one of my favorite parts of their work as they never have meaningless or merely poetic songs.

undeadmonkey
The Veronicas, “Untouched”

I love the strings in this piece. Then the song starts and it just doesn't stop until the end, leaving you breathless. Now if anyone didn't like my Ting Tings pick, you probably won't like this either. They are kinda in the same vein of things, and this song is officially the last song of young hot female pop-rock on my list.

leestu
Sonic Youth, “Dirty Boots”
(1991)

An experimental guitar band from NYC that influenced many later bands. This song rocks. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the official video on YouTube, which is a bit of a shame as I really like it, and it links back to one of my earlier picks – “Lazy Eye” by Silversun Pickups – so try this link:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2v48c ... oots_music

and if that doesn’t work here is a you tube link to the album version.

Buscemi
Talking Heads, “And She Was”

silversurfer
The Animals, “House Of The Rising Sun”

One of the most important bands originating from England's R&B scene during the early '60s, The Animals were able to focus many of the energies of the blues and introduce it to popular culture. The song's origins supposedly dates back to the 16th Century but was adapted as a precautionary tale told to mothers to ensure their sons' avoid the excesses of drink, gambling and whore houses in order to be happy. The Animals version of the song is the most successful recorded, and Eric Burden's voice maintains all the hallmarks of the classic blues howling. Complemented by Alan Price's pulsating organ, the song grabs my attention every time I hear it played.

transformers
Vampire Weekend, “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa”

This pick will catch a lot of you by surprise. I love Vampire Weekend and I think they are the most original indie rock band in the genre that is mostly garbage. This song is really catchy and just a really fun track.

W
Neil Diamond, “Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon”

NEIL! I wanna party with you! I just got into Neil Diamond and when he's not doing his lounge singer impersonation, he's got a lot of good stuff. This one is his best.

englishozzy
My Chemical Romance, "I'm Not OK”

It's strange that I have got a song so high up on my list from a band that I have lost complete faith in since their last album and I also much prefer "I bought you my bullets" album to this one, but this song stands out from the rest purely for the catchy lyrics and upbeat music.

BarcaRulz
The Offspring, “Self Esteem”
(also Geezer's #95)

Have been listening to this song for a long time, and it never gets old. While The Offspring are for the most part hit and miss for me, this one has been a hit ever since I heard it, and as such it gets a spot on my list. Love the music especially.

Ron Burgundy
Radiohead, “Karma Police”

Chienfantome
DeVotchka, “How It Ends”

The first time I heard this song was when I saw the trailer for Liev Schreiber’s beautiful Everything is Illuminated five years ago. It made me want to see this film so badly I was a bit disappointed to discover, upon watching the film, that the song wasn’t in it (but it does not stop it for being a great film). Then, a year later, when I saw Little Miss Sunshine, the film had barely begun that we heard the first notes of this song. It turned out DeVotchka composed the music for the film, and used their already existent song as the pivotal theme for the film. Even if it wasn’t in it, yet, this song reminds me of Liev Schreiber’s film more than Little Miss Sunshine. One, because it’s a better film. Two, because I watched that trailer dozens of times. It’s a beautiful song that does not sound modern at all, and cries melancholy (or could I say “spleen”? ;) )

Frendo
K’s Choice, “Not An Addict”

I first heard this song on the radio when it was new, and had no idea who sang it. Found it again ten years later, and even then could only get a live version from iTunes (had no desire to buy a full album). One of the most honest songs about addiction ever made, with a haunting melody.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Anyone know what's up with Geezer? He's only made two posts since Monday, and neither was on a music thread.

Come on, man! We need your acerbic wit!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm still waiting for Banks to return. I miss his insider opinions on box office.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr