Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #6): #50-#41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #6): #50-#41

Post by Buscemi »

Explanations on my choices of U2 and The Scorpions:

On I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For:

The song takes me back to simpler times in my life, especially the opening instrumental. It reminds me of Spring in a way, waking up from a cool blanket during a morning car ride looking at the change of seasons. Old U2 changes the seasons.

On Still Loving You:

The song is fucking epic. As seen before, I like long songs with loud guitars and this is no exception. It has the feeling of one is preparing for a battle cry in a war between guitars and monsters only seen in 1980's heavy metal album covers. Easily the best of the songs done by Scorpions.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Hey, I think I'm gonna get into this thing starting on song 40. Been following it regularly, and now that school is over I have some time. Can someone please tell me what I need to send shryke?

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

artist, song, explanation (if youd like) and a youtube link

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

frendo wrote:I fucking hate modern R&B as well. In addition to your reasons above, which I agree with, I also feel it insults intelligence in a lot of ways by portraying standard lust as romantic love. At least the gangster rap shit is honest in it's intentions.

I will say, if you want to hear rap that's not as you describe above, check out Brother Ali, Atmosphere, El-P, Ill Bill, Sabac, or Cage. Some are positive, some are more dark, but all are intelligent and thought provoking in their own ways.
You have great taste in rap frendo all of those rappers you listed are fantastic. Add MF Doom, Jedi Mind Tricks and Doap Nixon you have all my favorite current rappers.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare
Edelweiss, « Bring Me Edelweiss »

Man, you’re really fucked up, what’s that ??!!!... Just messing with you Shryke ;)
It’s a big WTF indeed, but we can see the funny side of it. It’s shit. But it’s so shitty it’s fun.

NSpan
The Doors, “When the music’s over”

Woowww, NSpan, you’re audacious, pleasing us with a 10 minutes song… ;)
You’re lucky it’s a Doors song… Very rare are the songs that long that can be great to listen to. I’m thinking of Archive’s “Again”, which lasts 15 minutes and is worth every bit of it. I don’t like this one as much, but it’s good anyway.

Numéro Six
Mission of Burma, “Trem 2”

Interesting… Could be great live but to hear it like that isn’t all that great. And I can’t understand the lyrics, he mumbles them and my French ear doesn’t get them… !

Geezer
Foo Fighter, “Learn to fly”

The song doesn’t really do it for me, but I love the video !

Becs
My chemical romance, “Cancer”

Entitling a song “Cancer” is certainly original. Never heard of that band before… It seems like a nice ballad. Doesn’t really strike me as great, but it’s easy to listen to.

Undeadmonkey
Dino, “That’s Amore”

I loooooooooooooooooooove Dean Martin. It’s not my favourite, but it’s Dean Martin, so it’s still a wonderful choice. My favourite Martin song is… nooo, you’ll find that out by yourself in a few days, in these pages ;)

Leestu
The Dead Kennedys, “Holiday in Cambodia”

Dead Kennedys, weird name for a band ! And the singer’s definitely got a weird voice too ! Funny song to hear.

Buscemi
Scorpions, “Still loving you”

You’re younger than me Buscemi, but I can tell you this one was one of the rulers on the dance floor for junior high parties when it was slow-time with the girls, when I was a teen. It brings back fond memories, good choice my friend.

Surfer
David Bowie, “Life on Mars ?”

What can I respond to that choice, Surfer d’argent, except “Bravo” ;) I love this Bowie. I love many Bowies in fact. I love this one for sure. “I s there life on Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ?” Love it.

Transformers
Korn, “Got the life”

It hurts my ears after listening to Bowie ;)

W
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, “Ohio”

Didn’t know this song. Good song. Good song.

Englishozzy
Rooster, “Deep and meaningless”

I knew neither the band nor the song. Not bad.

Barca
Led Zeppelin, “Immigrant song”

I just had a Jack Black flash… ^_^ Led Zep, always nice to hear. Not my favorite but a good one still.

Ron B
Michael Jackson, “Thriller”

I don’t have any Jackson song on my list, yet there are many I like. But I only like him, rarely looooove. I like Thriller a lot.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Chienfantome: Portishead, “Glory Box” (also silversurfer's #99 and becs' #80) - Ahh, glad to see a man with such a great taste in movies finally show his good taste in music ;) Really cool song.

Merci monsieur !
It's an honour to finally find your respect. It took me 4 songs to get to it. I'm wondering how many songs it will take me to lose it again... ;) I'm guessing... very few ! Especially after what I read you wrote about Dean Martin... oh boy how disappointed you'll be to find one of his songs on my list at some point :lol:
But I hope you'll find a bunch of other songs that show good taste along the way !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

[quote="numbersix"]Contest idea sounds fun.

Shrykespeare: Sublime, “Badfish” (1992) - A couple of you have been raving about this band and I think becs questioned why they hadn't appeared on anyone's list until recently. Maybe you are hearing something I'm not, as this just doesn't appeal to me at all.

NSpan: The Kinks, “Waterloo Sunset” (1967) - Very good song. I was contemplating whether any Kinks would make my list, and while I did drop a couple, one made it. This wasn't one of those considered though, I think I preferred the likes of Everybody's Going To Be Happy, Dedicated Follower Of Fashion, David Watts, Days... and my pick. Man, there is a LOT of quality there though! Anyway, decent song nevertheless, just a little overrated for my own tastes though.

And regarding your insight into the stutter on my previous pick, My Generation, I always believed the stutter was a jab at the older generation rather than those on drugs, especially so due to Keith Moon's relationship to them. It would seem odd to poke fun at drug users when one of the band was heavily using? I don't know, maybe you are correct.

Numbersix: Johnny Cash, “Hurt” (2002) - I think I still prefer NIN's version, but man, this is one of the best cover's I'd ever heard when it was released. Still maintains the same impact, Cash managed to translate the song into such a personal song and it really worked.

Geezer: Beastie Boys, "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" - Fun song, but still much prefer Sabotage over this. Having said that, I remember growing up and this was such a great song for kids, but parents hated it. One of the ultimate rebellion songs, right up there with a lot of classic old school punk. One of the catchiest choruses ever too. Good pick!

becs: Elton John, "Someone Saved My Life Tonight” - I hadn't actually heard this song before, for some reason I heard quite a lot of Polyphonic Spree in there (don't know if they took inspiration from this song or not) It was one of the better Elton song's I heard as usually he is a little too overblown but this was definitely listenable.

undeadmonkey: The Ting Tings, "Shut Up and Let Me Go" - I remember when these guys first came to my attention a year or so ago, and they were everywhere. Now, you never hear of them at all. I think that's telling of how much these guys are kind of throwaway. No doubt their record will be in the bargain bins before next year and unlikely we'll ever hear from them again. Fun, but very easily forgettable.

leestu: Prince and the Revolution, “When Doves Cry” (1984) - I can't deny Prince's brilliance, there was so much talent going on there I guess but I don't think I'd ever buy a record of his. However, this was one of his best, I love the keyboard beat which runs throughout the song, it just won't leave your head at all. I can imagine he'd be a great live performer and his stage shows would probably be awesome.

Buscemi: U2, “Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For” - Can't complain here, definitely one of U2's strongest. I guess as we get closer to the end of the countdown we are going to find more and more familiar songs which are recognised as classic songs. This is one of them, no doubt it will go down in rock history as one of the greatest ever (of interest I've noticed there hasn't been ANY RHCP as of yet, which has taken me by surprise. Not one of my favourite bands but I would have thought there would have been an appearance by now). Not my favourite, but really can't complain. Such a shame they carried on after Pop.

transformers: Alice In Chains, "Would?” - Well, I liked your last pick from these guys enough to pick up Dirt, and while this didn't have the same appeal for me as Rooster, it is still a solid track.

W: Ray Charles, “What'd I Say (Parts I & II)” - That was fun, I don't think I'd heard this one before (unless it was on Ray, but I can't remember which songs were picked for the soundtrack). And like six mentioned, it does remind me of something James Brown could have done, and has a groove to match it.

englishozzy: U2, "Vertigo" - Ugh. As I mentioned before, after Pop, U2 should have given up. They haven't produced anything worthy of their talent for almost 15 years now, and this song just highlights that fact. I guess they've just run out of ideas and some of their lyrics are more than just embarrassing. Just listen to some classic U2 and you'll see the gulf in abilities.

BarcaRulz: Blind Melon, "No Rain" - Probably their most famous song, I guess. I do enjoy this one for pure nostalgic reasons. It's hardly brilliant, but it is undeniably catchy.

Ron Burgundy (also becs' and Geezer's #55): Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody” - As I mentioned last time, a true classic, if not a little over rated. Still a very good song though.

Chienfantome: Keane, “Somewhere Only We Know” - I know I'm not supposed to be a fan of these guys being the snob I am, but I do quite like a bit of their stuff. Just really good pop music. I do prefer Bedshaped over this, but always a nice listen. It's hard to believe these were originally a hard rock band though now, but since they got rid of their guitarist they took a completely different direction and probably for the better, as the lead singer's voice is very well suited to this style.

I'll get onto the next batch of songs at a later time, but for this round my highlight would probably be six's Johnny Cash song, although there was plenty of decent stuff from becs, NSpan, Boussh, Leestu, W and Chien. A pretty good round in all.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

silversurfer19 wrote: undeadmonkey: The Ting Tings, "Shut Up and Let Me Go" - I remember when these guys first came to my attention a year or so ago, and they were everywhere. Now, you never hear of them at all. I think that's telling of how much these guys are kind of throwaway. No doubt their record will be in the bargain bins before next year and unlikely we'll ever hear from them again. Fun, but very easily forgettable.
I dont know, they had three pretty good hits over here from there first album, and their sophomore album is due to be released in a few months that they apparently have collaborated with JayZ and Rihanna. but I guess we'll find out in a year or so if your right or wrong.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

undeadmonkey wrote:artist, song, explanation (if youd like) and a youtube link
Thanks, man. Just sent in my ten picks. Since I'm only doing forty, I'm only picking one song per band. I'll say now, the top ten will probably be mostly, if not all, 90's bands. Though the one's preceding will be pretty schizophrenic in nature.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

frendo wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:artist, song, explanation (if youd like) and a youtube link
Thanks, man. Just sent in my ten picks. Since I'm only doing forty, I'm only picking one song per band. I'll say now, the top ten will probably be mostly, if not all, 90's bands. Though the one's preceding will be pretty schizophrenic in nature.
Doesn't that kinda make it a list of your top 40 bands, with an example from each? I still dont get this limit thing.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

It does. Mainly because it seems kind of pointless to put songs only for like 5 bands over and over. Especially if the goal is to get turned on to new music people haven't heard before.

Damn, man, why you gotta be giving a brotha a hard time about everything? :)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

frendo wrote:It does. Mainly because it seems kind of pointless to put songs only for like 5 bands over and over. Especially if the goal is to get turned on to new music people haven't heard before.

Damn, man, why you gotta be giving a brotha a hard time about everything? :)
Its my life's calling :twisted:

I always thought the "goal" was to post our favorite ______ songs

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

To be honest though Geez, I'm sure your top 100, as with my own, can change day to day. I have literally thousands of songs which on a particular day could have made my top 100, so I guess by limiting the bands at least we can all get an idea of our music tastes rather than just what particular band we might be listening to right now. And considering Frendo only has 40 songs to contribute, I think it makes sense him taking this stand. We each have our own motivations towards this countdown, and I for one respect everyone's stance. Looking forward to hearing a something new from Frendo now though. This thing has expanded so much since we began a couple of months ago, and I think that in itself has allowed us to experience so much fresh music.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I know Surfer, I just would feel dirty leaving a song that I know I like better than another off the countdown simply because I had already met my quota.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Shit man, it takes a whole lot more than that to make me feel dirty at this point. :)

Besides, as SS said, I have so many songs that change daily that there really is no way to truly make an fully accurate list, and this is as good as any.