Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (Intermission)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (Intermission)

Post by Shrykespeare »

So now that we are officially halfway through our countdown (yeah, technically, only those of us who started at #100 are actually HALF done, but who's counting?), what have been your impressions? Which songs have stuck out for you? Which artists that were previously unknown or ignored are now on your "must explore" list? How much broader is your spectrum of taste than it was 50 days ago?

Use this thread to give your opinions (be gentle if said opinions are negative) on what we have accomplished so far. Cite examples if need be, and feel free to re-post videos if you must do so to make your point.

And lastly, feel free to give us a preview of coming events, but try to be as vague as possible... we don't want to give away TOO much before we get to the end!

Thanks,
Shryke
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (Intermission)

Post by numbersix »

Overall impression over the last 50 songs? Yikes, that's no mean feat. I do feel like I've gotten to know y'all a little better, for better and for worse. What would be interesting would be for all of us to maybe list our top 25 films of all time, and see if those whose musical taste we like share the same taste in films. I bet they would. How's that for objectivity of taste?

I'm not gonna go through individuals as I already do that at the end of each thread, and I'll continue to do so. Instead, I thought I'd list the best songs over the last 50 rounds that I've never heard:

Leetsu: Mumford and Sons, Little Lion Man
SS: The Feelies, Too Far Gone
SS: Fugazi, Repeater
Nspan: Blue Cheer, Summertime Blues
NSpan: Brian Jonestown Massacre, “When Jokers Attack”
UDM (!!!): Connor Oberst, NYC - Gone, Gone
SS: The Sonics, “Psycho”
Nspan: Elf Power, “An Old Familiar Scene”
Becs: Mozart, “Lacrimosa”
Leetsu: Mudhoney, “Revolution”
Nspan: Frank Black, San Antonio, TX
Nspan: Yardbirds, “The Train Kept A Rollin'”
Banks: Al Green, “Love & Happiness”
SS: Weezer, “Only In Dreams”
Nspan: Sam Cooke, “You Send Me”
Tranny: Dead Kennedys, “California Uber Alles”
SS: Pavement, “Summer Babe”
Nspan: Cream, "Politician”
SS: Weezer, “Only In Dreams”
Leetsu: Boys Next Door, “Shivers”

Thanks to all of you for introducing me to such great music.

Looking back over my list, 17 songs in my Top 100 have already been picked by you guys. Some of them (Dumb, Velouria, This Must Be the Place), have already appeared. I can now announce that 4 are in my Top 10 (See Geez, I'm not that "different"), and I expect 2 more to be picked by some of you. Interestingly, it was only very recently that both NSpan (Velouria) and SS (Wait and see) picked songs that I have. Leetsu has a staggering 7 songs that I have. The rest are covered by Tranny, Ron B, Shryke, Boosch (Sweet Jane), Becs, Geez, and W. Major kudos to anyone who can guess which song we share in our Top 100's.

Here's to another 50 (and better 50) songs. And here's to Shryke for coming up with the brilliant idea! I look forward to hearing your songs. And as for mine, you'll be hearing post-rock, punk-rock, punk, dance-punk, jazz, funk, rock, country, alt-country, math rock, classical, indie, electronic, experimental, metal, rock n roll, new wave, soul, and pop.

Finally, as an intermission I was thinking of posting a few (no more than 5) songs from new acts or new records I'm listening to and love, so maybe I can introduce some good music to y'all. Anyone interested in hearing mine and posting their 5 Best New Songs?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm going to suggest maybe posting (if this applies to you) any songs that, if you were to start formulating your list today, would make it this time around but didn't the first time. I know at least Six and myself had major concerns about the volatility of our musical worlds before this whole thing started, and I know I have replaced two songs already (one with a song that hasn't appeared yet, by a band that would probably get 2 or 3 songs in the list if I could start over) and would probably slot in a couple more, but at this stage of the game, its impossible to really bump any song out because we are getting down to the serious untouchables. I'll be posting a few vids on here that fit this criteria, feel free to do the same if you want.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

This has been a blast so far. Again, thanks to Shryke for making it all possible.

Some albums and tracks I've picked up recently and have now assimilated into my Borg-like collection of music (no particular order):

Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
Various Artists - The Definitive Horror Music Collection
Television - Marquee Moon
Plastic Bertrand - "Ca Plane Pour Moi"
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
The Who - My Generation (Deluxe Edition)
Liquid Liquid - "Cavern"
Various Artists - Kick Ass OST
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Muse - Exogenesis Symphony
Elefant - "Lolita"
Elefant - "Love"
Elefant - "Misfit"
Elefant - "Sirens"
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
BRMC - Beat the Devil's Tattoo
Built to Spill - "Goin' Against Your Mind"
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - "One Way Glass"
Frank Black - Nonstoperotik
X-Ray Spex - "Oh Bondage, Up Yours"
The Toadies - "A Forest"
Goo Goo Dolls - "Sunshine of Your Love"
Goo Goo Dolls - "Don't Fear the Reaper"

...and, of course:

Pigbag - "Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag"

Instead of posting new videos during the hiatus, why don't we just start formulating our next musical adventure? What about 25 Greatest Songs Only "You" Know About? We can make lists of obscure artists that didn't make our Top 100 lists but deserve recognition nonetheless.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm surprised the Kick Ass OST doesn't have Gnarls Barkley's Crazy. Not that I'm a an of the song, but it is probably the most integral song in the movie. Good call with Marquee Moon, a really good album. Love Torn Curtain.

I also like Geez's idea of post maybe 3 songs of those who didn't make it. And maybe after our #1 we can post some stuff we're listening to at the moment? Anyway, here are two songs that were in my Top 100 but were removed at the last minute because I just wasn't feeling it

David Bowie: Rock N Roll Suicide
I recently got back into Bowie thanks to Becs's picks, as well at being at a music festival 2 weeks ago which held a Rock N Roll Bingo afternoon, with a Bowie lookalike singing out the numbers. Anyway, it's a passionate song that closes the story on his alter-ego, summing up the peaks and tragedy associated with fame

Eric Satie: Six Gnossiennes No 1 : Lent
Really beautiful, a perfect song to relax to, or perhaps read a good book. And all from a guy who thought he was crap!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

You know what I'd like to see on a Kick-Ass soundtrack? The hours of film score that was recorded but rejected by the director. Three full musical scores were recorded but rejected (one by John Murphy and I forget who did the other two) by Matthew Vaughn. With release fast approaching and no musical score to use, what does Vaughn do? He combines all three scores and adds a few Ennio Morricone tracks (in a nod to Quentin Tarantino) to round out the score. In short, no less than four different scores show up in the final movie.

And you thought Danny Elfman was mad about having most of his Spider-Man 2 score unused.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I STILL think that posting more videos mitigates the Top 100 countdown currently in progress... HOWEVER, I just realized that one particular song that would definitely have been included in my list simply got overlooked. I considered dropping another song entirely and replacing it--but I just couldn't find a song in my top 50 that I could stand dropping.

So, with no further ado, the great missing track from my Top 100... my #??:

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Awesome song Nspan! i must go find it

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I don't see these songs mitigating the Top 100 list when we're in an intermission. It's simply an option for those who are still salivating over hearing more music on a daily basis. Call it the methadone of the Top #100 H high.

Liked your pick, NSpan. A lovely song, from a man whose music I'm not a huge fan of.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Good call with Marquee Moon,
It's weird, Television is a band that I've been aware of for a long time--but, for whatever reason, I just haven't really dove into their music. Marquee Moon has practically been on repeat at my apartment since I got it a few weeks back. It's like a weird mix of the Violent Femmes, XTC, and the Residents.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I like the idea of the Top 25 Songs that only "You" know about. I wonder where'd I'd continue, as I have no fewer than FIVE songs in my Top 50 that I would bet actual money 3 or fewer of the 14 other people doing this remembered ever hearing before.

Here are my favorite songs from the last 50 days that were either completely new to me or I didn't remember ever hearing before:

Within Temptation, "Stand My Ground"
Digitalism, "Zdarlight"
The Rasmus, "Shadows"
Robert Miles, "Children"
Talking Heads, "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)"
The Lovemakers, "Love is Dead"
Taxiride, "Creeping Up Slowly"
Gotye, "Thanks For Your Time"
Sisters of Mercy, "Temple of Love"
Between the Buried and Me, "Desert of Song"
Gomez, "How We Operate"

I have listened to all these songs five times or more. Excellent choices!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Well, its been an interesting couple of months so far, looking forward to the top 50 now! Here are a collection of my favourite picks from everyone which have been new to me:

XTC, Generals and Majors (Shryke)
Thomas Dolby, Airhead (Shryke)
Talk Talk, Life's What You Make It (Shryke)
The Warlocks, Hurricane Heart Attack (NSpan)
Zombies, Time of the Season (NSpan)
Yes, Sweetness (NSpan)
Blue Cheer, Summertime Blues (NSpan)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre, When Jokers Attack (NSpan)
Frank Black, San Antonio, TX (NSpan)
Elf Power, An Old Familiar Scene (NSpan)
Toadies, Paper Dress (NSpan)
Leonard Cohen, Chelsea Hotel (six)
Sun Kil Moon, Blue Orchids (six)
Godspeed You Black Emperor, Blaise Bailey Finnegan III (six)
Red House Painters, Drop (six)
The Fall, Totally Wired (six)
Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee (Geezer)
Tool, Sober (becs)
Tool, Schism (becs)
Antony and the Johnsons, Hope There's Someone (becs)
Simon and Garfunkel, Hazy Shade of Winter (becs)
Stiff Little Fingers, Johnny Was (Leestu)
Mudhoney, The Rose (Leestu)
The Velvet Underground, Pale Blue Eyes (Leestu)
Alice in Chains, Rooster (transformers)
Between the Buried and Me, Desert of Song (transformers)
Metallica, One (Ron)
The Frames, Revelate (Barca)

Obviously from this list NSpan and six seem to share a musical interest with myself, as well as Leestu and becs to a lesser extent. In fact, six probably has been my favourite overall, as well as providing lots of cool new stuff he has also listed a number of my very favourite songs also which just didn't make my list.

From the songs listed so far, 8 songs have appeared which are also on mine :

Pixies, Hey (NSpan/Leestu)
[wait and see] (six)
[wait and see] (Geezer)
[wait and see] (Geezer/ transformers) - try and work it out [wink]
Talking Heads, Psycho Killer (Leestu)
[wait and see] (becs/ Leestu) - try and work it out [wink]
Portishead, Glory Box (becs)
Led Zeppelin, The Immigrant Song (W)

My top ten has only been cracked once, however.

Since the countdown has begun I have probably bought on what must be approaching 50 albums, the majority of which on the basis of hearing songs on here. So keep up the good work and I may be bankrupt by the end of the countdown...

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hmm... My list still isn't completely finalized yet.. or maybe it is. There's no way to really tell. :)

I just threw in one that I though was on there but must have forgotten for one that I found that I really don't care top 100 for anymore, switched a song for another of the same band, rearranged the order, and vaulted a top 50 song to a top 10(ish) song after hearing a live version that just kicked my ass. At the beginning, I was 100% sure what my #1 song was, but I'm not completely sure now. I don't know if I'm done yet, but I have #50-41 sent in.

This set of ten I'm guessing in each case at least 10 of the 14 have heard all of them, so it is a little generic... or more mainstream, I guess.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I think quite a few people will be surprised by my upcoming picks. A lot of different genres repersented. It has been an absolute blast so far and I look forward to hearing everyone's picks for the rest of the countdown.Anways I will do a similar thing that NSpan and go through a few albums I have purchased/listened to recently that I would recomend.

As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise
Vampire Weekend-Contra
Overkill-Ironbound
High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine
The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Paralysis
Them Crooked Vultures-Them Crooked Vultures
Nas/Damien Marley-Distant Relatives
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Here's three songs that would probably make my list if I were starting it right now:

The Outfield "Your Love"

Completely awesome cheesy 80's song. Sing along whether you are drunk or sober. Try not getting this one stuck in your head!

Alkaline Trio "You're Dead"

This was a really tough call, because it really could have been any one of a number of songs off their "From Here to Infirmary" album, which is by far their best and if you like this at all you should definitely pick up. there will be one more song from it coming up later on. Matt Skiba's voice is so fucking good. I have formed a little obsession with this band of late and really want to see them again.

Weezer "El Scorcho"

This one is for NSpan. He's been just dying for some Pinkerton, well here you go. This would certainly bump something off my list were I to do it all over again. My favorite from Pinkerton. Probably going to be quite different than most Weezer that people have heard if they haven't actually listened to Pinkerton.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude