Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Post by becs »

SONG #51

Shrykespeare
Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell”
(1984)
A very good song, though I admittedly find it a bit repetitive.

NSpan
T-Rex, "Rock On
” (1972)
Man, another good song from these guys, how is it I had never even heard of them?

Numbersix
Rolling Stones, "Wild Horses"
(1971) (also undeadmonkey's #81, kind of)
Definitely head and shoulders above the previous version, but still not really my thing.

Geezer
Lostprophets- "Last Train Home"
(also englishozzy's #60)
Still an excellent selection.

undeadmonkey
The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”

This was actually in my list, in this round even, until a couple rounds after we started at which point I was just like "what was I thinking, this doesn't belong here" and bumped it entirely. A good song nonetheless, but not top 100 material.

leestu
The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”
(1987)
Amazing as always, Morrisey is so amazingly good, these guys really can do no wrong.

Buscemi
Spandau Ballet, “True”

that was the longest 5 minutes of my life.

silversurfer
Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven”

Wouldn't have expected these guys from you, but I love em as well, great pick, though probably not my favorite of their work.

*transformers
Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”

An exceptional song ;-)

W
The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again”
(also Geezer's #73)
Still pretty good but not a favorite.

Banks
Eminem, “Stan”
(also Ron Burgundy's #65)
Meh

*englishozzy
Enter Shikari, “Jonny Sniper”

Quite liked it, very interesting, never heard of the band before.

BarcaRulz
Augie March, "One Crowded Hour"
(also leestu's #92)
Liked it last time around and still do!

Ron Burgundy
Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis”

Liked the previous FNM song more, but still good.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Thanks for the break Shryke, it is much needed. I am still 4 songs behind. It just takes so long to get through them all. I need the break, and to be honest, the longer the better. We've been blowing through these at a very brisk pace. I want to be able to organize some more top 10 lists, and compile some stuff for the intermission report.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Favorites that I Know
#60 BarcaRulz: Silverchair, "Tomorrow"
#59 Buscemi: Radiohead, “Creep”
#58 Geezer: Pink Floyd, "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2"
#58 englishozzy: Radiohead, “Creep”
#57 transformers: Faith No More, “Epic”
#57 englishozzy: Aerosmith, “Dream On”
#56 Geezer: Nirvana, "Dumb"
#55 Ron Burgundy: Rage Against the Machine, “Testify”
#54 Numbersix: Interpol, "Hands Away"
#54 Ron Burgundy: Interpol, “Obstacle 1”
#53 transformers: Rage Against The Machine, “Calm Like A Bomb”
#53 englishozzy: The Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated”
#52 Buscemi: Pixies, “Where Is My Mind?”
#51 transformers: Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”

Favorites New to Me
#59 NSpan: The Toadies, "Doll Skin”
#57 Shrykespeare: Depeche Mode, “It’s No Good”
#54 Buscemi: Yaz, “Only You”
#54 BarcaRulz: Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine"
#52 BarcaRulz: Powderfinder, "On My Mind

Favorite overall 60-51: Barcarulz! Not one song out of place, every track is a good one.

Preview of my 50-41 (as usual chronologically):
1968 track from a british rock group and record holder for longest time atop the British charts
1975 Top 10 hit from a Brit rocker
1983 top 10 hit from an aussie band that was resurrected on the charts nearly 20 years later
1989 number one single from a seminal english rock group
1994 debut single from an alternative band
1997 hit from an alternative group about the lead singer's ongoing divorce
2002 debut single from an emocore band
2002 track from a Swedish hardcore band
2002 single from an aussie alternative group
2006 ballad about coming to terms with a terminal disease
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Firstly, Shryke I think you will find most of the broken links to this round were from non US participants. They may well work fine in their country of origin, though not in the US. For a start I couldn't watch yours on here, so it goes both ways. I guess it's something we will have to put up with if we want to keep this multinational.

Shrykespeare
Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell”
(1984)
A classic song (though not one I'd ever consider for my top 100) from a guy I can't stand. He was as punk as the Justin Bieber (yes, I am WITH the new music scene down here in NZ...), and all those snarls just didn't really fit. Can't help but nod my head to the song, mind.

NSpan
T-Rex, "Rock On
” (1972)
Another song of theirs I just don't really see the fuss about. Doesn't really go anywhere in comparison to so many others of their hits. What made THIS stand out more than say, any of 20th Century Boy, Get It On, Ride A White Swan, Jeepster, Children Of The Revolution, I Love To Boogie, King Of The Rumbling Spires or even Solid Gold Easy Action. All of those songs I'd rank ahead of this, which doesn't seem to offer anything more in terms of lyrics, music, atmosphere, even a riff.

Numbersix
Couldn't remember what I said last time. I wonder if I like it less than last time? It was okay, without really setting me on fire, I think they can do a lot better.

Geezer
(also englishozzy's #60)
Still probably my least favourite song of theirs, I have no interest in playing it again. Have you listened to their debut record? If you have you would know this is not the peak of their abilities, but rather when they became so corportately 'punk' it just wasn't worth listening to.

becs
Queen, “Killer Queen”
(also W's #53)
Again, a decent song.

undeadmonkey
The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”

Musically probably their strongest, though overall I think I prefer Mr Brightside. Decent enough though which I wouldn't turn off if played on the radio (not that I have listened to a radio station in well over 10 years...).

leestu
(1987)
Strangeways was definitely my least favourite Smiths record, it just lacked something their previous ones (and in particular Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead) were able to achieve. This song was one of the highlights of the album, but considering I don't have much love for the record I don't know how much praise that is worth. From listening to this with NSpan's big floppy fresh ears I can definitely see the direction Morrissey was going to head in for his solo career, as this is a bit of a departure from their previous work.

Buscemi
Spandau Ballet, “True”

One of my most disliked songs I've ever heard due to the amount of weddings I've heard this in. It's just such a horrible cliche I hate it. Really not a fan of Spandau Ballet at all.

silversurfer

Is my taste in songs so narrow that you can't see me liking this becs? I'm sure I've mentioned on here before that I am a big fan of these guys, but even still I think there is enough already played from my list to suggest this could be on here. Oh well, hopefully I'll continue to surprise you....

transformers

Probably the highlight of my least favourite album of theirs. It was definitely a standout on that record which was a bit of a letdown after the great work on Origin Of Symmetry. The quality of this recording wasn't very good though, which was a shame.

W
(also Geezer's #73)
Great song. Are they the greatest band ever? I don't know about that, probably not but my dad would kill me for suggesting such a thing. I was brought up on these guys over The Beatles (even though I lived in Liverpool) due to my dad's obsession (I remember playing a 7' Pinball Wizard on my record player in my bedroom over and over when I must have been about 5) and they were probably my introduction to music of a serious nature. Great song, but I have one which I like a little bit more coming up shortly. Great video, though.

Banks
Eminem, “Stan”
Still didn't like it, not gonna change ever either.

englishozzy

I remember hearing these a few guys ago and was totally unimpressed. Their music just doesn't work as a compostion at all, it just sounds like a mish mash of dance and metal, but neither achieved to a high standard. I got through most of the song, but then Helena told me it was giving her a headache so I had to turn it off.

BarcaRulz
(also leestu's #92)
I can't remember listening to this one, although the name seems familiar. It wasn't bad, may have to listen to it again.

Ron Burgundy

Great song, not as good as Epic or my own personal favourite which is coming up shortly, but very cool.

I've felt very negative this round which is a shame as the last few have been very good. Favourites were probably transformers and Ron Burgundy's.
Last edited by silversurfer19 on May 20th, 2010, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

THREAD REVIEW

Top 5 songs not on my list and had heard before:
5. Radiohead, Creep, #59-Buscemi and #58-englishozzy
4. The Smiths, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, #51-leestu
3. The Ramones, I Wanna Be Sedated, #53-englishozzy
2. Queens of the Stone Age, The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret, #54-silversurfer
1. The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again, #51-W

Top 3 songs I had not heard before:
3. Travis, Flowers in the Window, #52-englishozzy
2. David Bowie, The Man Who Sold the World, #58-becs
1. Interpol, Hands Away, #54-numbersix

Poster-of-the-Round:
englishozzy: had 2 songs from my list, 2 songs that just missed out, and one of my favorite 'new-to-me' songs too.

Biggest Surprise:
UDM keeps his title. This time by having Shakira on his list. Did not see that coming.

Preview of my upcoming songs:
- 1997 hit single by an English alt-rock/britpop band
- 2007 song by a Scottish indie/alt-rock band
- 2001 cover of a 1964 song by an English alt-rock band
- 2006 song by an Irish singer/songwriter
- 2002 album song by a Canadian alt-rock band
- 2008 single by an American synthpop/neo-psychedelia band
- 1998 song by an American alt-rock band out of Texas
- 1993 hit single by an American rock band that disbanded in tragic circumstances shortly after
- 1970 single from one of the best rock bands of all time
- 2004 German hit single by a German hard-rock/industrial metal band

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's a preview of my next ten songs:

A 1985 song that was the last Top 10 song for a legendary R&B singer, which was also in a very popular movie.
A 1986 song by an Australian rock-synthpop band.
A 1986 song that was a hit for a well-known English punk-rock artist. (2nd of 2 appearances)
A 1988 song that was a #1 dance hit in Austria, by an Austrian electronica/dance band.
A 1991 song by a very famous English musician who once fronted an equally famous band. (2nd of 3 appearances)
A 1992 song by an American reggae-ska-punk band.
A 1993 song by a Scottish dance group who released only one album.
A 2001 album cut by an American alt-rock band. (2nd of 2 appearances)
A 2001 song by a well-known 90's Irish alt-rock band, from what would turn out to be their final studio album.
A 2003 song by a hard-rock band fronted by a man who found fame in a 90's seattle grunge band.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare -- Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell” (1984)
Growing up, I never really took this guy seriously. But, a few years ago, I read a semi-autobiographical book called "The Buddha of Suburbia" about a boy who grew up with Billy Idol. It made me realize that Idol is the genuine article--when I had incorrectly dismissed him as something of a fraud. I've since taken a new approach to his music. I'm still not particularly a fan, but I have no problem admitting that this song does its fair-share of rocking.

NSpan -- T-Rex, "Rock On” (1972)
In response to some of the comments, keep in mind: I specifically pointed out the simplicity of this song as one of its merits. Anyone who has listened to a significant amount of T-Rex knows that Marc Bolan is a talented song-writer--when he chooses to be. This particular track is a rare instance of him having a bit of fun in the studio. It's called "Rock On" for goodness' sake. It's tongue-in-cheek, self-aware, and--yet--it ROCKS nonetheless. It's one heck of a catchy riff, and he chose to make a radio-friendly song that probably took mere minutes to compose. But that's the beauty of it. Simplicity isn't always a bad thing in music. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcwD7kh28M0

Numbersix -- Rolling Stones, "Wild Horses" (1971)
Great song. I think I'd appreciate it even more were it not for the cover versions I've heard throughout my life.

Geezer -- Lostprophets- "Last Train Home"
Oddly, many of my own favorite songs didn't immediately stand out on first listen. My Top 100 includes several tracks that took time to grow on me. Maybe that accounts for some of the disparity in our lists.

becs -- Queen, “Killer Queen”
It blew my mind.

undeadmonkey -- The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”
I've heard this song plenty of times before, and I never really cared for it. Though, listening to it today, I actually think it's starting to grow on me. The fact that the band was SO over-hyped for a while probably didn't help my initial opinion.

leestu -- The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”
I like the Smiths... but this song never quite won me over. Definitely not a bad, but not one of my favorites. I don't know if the lyrics are quite as profound as you make them out to be.

Buscemi - Spandau Ballet, “True”
Never knew the name of this song. I like it--but mostly in an ironic sort of way... Hard to say what I'd think of it if it weren't so closely associated with "80's cheese" in my mind.

silversurfer -- Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven”
After several listens, I finally see some appeal.... but (with all due respect) it almost sounded like a Geezer pick.

transformers -- Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”
Great song. Yet another reminder of why I'd rather see Muse in a mid-sized venue than Radiohead in a stadium.

W -- The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again” (also Geezer's #73)
One of the Who's best. Epic. And it showcases the talents of all four "Rock Gods."

Ron Burgundy -- Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis”
Seems like this song is a bit under-recognized when it comes to FNM (and, personally, it's not one of my favorites) but I really like how it hints at what Mike Patton would be up to in his solo career and various side-projects.
Last edited by NSpan on May 22nd, 2010, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alright, time for impressions on this thread.

Getting better all the time, folks, with most rounds having about 4 or 5 really good tracks, whcih is enough to cancel out the mediocre and downright bad. Again, Leetsu, you have won the round and my musical heart with your picks. Not a single bad pick in your last 10, and one or two will be posted again. Coming up strong from behind are NSpan and SS, my two reliables. NSpan, I loved your modern picks, although some of your classic-rock picks were odd in that I like the band, but have other songs I prefer. Still, overall it was even better than the last thread. SS, I'm not a fan of what I call Tired College Rock, but you more than atoned for that by picking brilliant song's like Six (well duh) and Natural's Not in it.

But the biggest surprise for me has to be Becs, who blew me away with most of her choices. Leading up to this, I always found your eclectiv taste to occasionally match mine, but often you have stuff I just don't like in any way. But besides Live, I pretty much loved every song you chose: Depeche Mode, Queen, Radiohead, Anthony and the J's, Bowie, all great songs. Can't wait to see what you have coming up.

Geez also had a strong round with Sabbath, Dylan, Queen, and of course Nirvana. Ron B also had a generally good taste, and I enjoyed your Interpol, Talking heads, and Radiohead songs. Following those are Shryke, Tranny, Boosch, English Ozy and W, all of which had song I liked and songs I didn't (Shryke and Boosch having the best picks out of you). It's worth noting that W's picks are improving.

UDM, worry no more: you have contenders for the worst taste in music ;). Sorry Barca and Banks, but I just don't dig your styles. Banks, you love your soul, hip-hop, and contemporary RnB. Some of which, like Kanye, I can enjoy. But it's those mainstream rappers that just irritate the hell out of me. Barca, I still have to figure out where you're coming from. It looks like genrally mainstream rock, and a lot of that sort of music bores me. UDM, all I can say is that at least your last 10 picks were better than the previous 10 ;).

Now, here's the moment that you've all been waiting for, it's

THE AWARD FOR GEEZER'S MOST CUTTING RESPONSE TO A SONG OR GENERAL TASTE

Despite Geez being snowed under and not being able to give us the full fury we deserve, there were still a few key contenders. So without any futher delay, the winner is.....
Ron- So in Australia this is what qualifies as music? I'm glad I'm not from there.
Way-hey! Nothing like a dash of mock xenophobia to liven up the criticism. Excellent, Geez, can't wait to see what you have to offer in the next few rounds.

Lastly, a preview of my next 10 songs:

A 1958 instrumental single from a legendary guitarist
A 1973 funky classic
A 1980 single from a leading singer that many consider to be his last great song
A 1982 single from a very surreal and experimental artist (Geezer: Duck and Cover!)
A 1982 hip-hop classic
A 1982 album cut from a post-punk act who reformed a decade ago
A 1986 album track from a lauded indie act
A 2000 single from an ethereal post-rock group
A 2002 cover from a legendary singer-songwriter
A 2009 single from a slightly leftfield electronic-pop group
Last edited by numbersix on May 21st, 2010, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer wrote:Geezer
(also englishozzy's #60)
Still probably my least favourite song of theirs, I have no interest in playing it again. Have you listened to their debut record? If you have you would know this is not the peak of their abilities, but rather when they became so corportately 'punk' it just wasn't worth listening to.
Not only have I heard it, I own it and have listened to it countless times and really do enjoy it. That said, it isn't even close to as good as this one single, and none of the songs on it were even real contenders for the list.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 60:

Shryke- same old same old from you. Just not my style.

NSpan- this doesn't sound anything like what I'm used to from floyd, but I still kinda liked it. It sounded more Beatles than Floyd.

Six- meh

becs- Just one of the many examples of how the Beatles don't really stand out for me on an individual song basis, but more as an overall sound basis. I don't see what separates this from about 25 other songs they have, but they are ALL fantastic, so you can't really go wrong.

UDM- when this song came out, it was my favorite song for a while. I really loved it. I was however, in eight grade and my musical taste hadn't really progressed all that far and on top of that it got far too played out unfortunately.

leestu- wow, the Pogues sound EXACTLY like Flogging Molly. Or well, I know its the other way around, but I am more familiar with the former. If I hadn't read who this was, that surely would have been my first guess. Its a good song.

Boush- always a good track! Classic. Better than the original.

Surfer- I wasn't a fan. Pretty boring.

Tranny- another great Weezer song. Loving all the love for this band.

W- another song that I literally can't hear without my first thought being "Guitar Hero!" As soon as it plays I just see a screen with a bunch of red, green, blue, yellow and orange buttons. Unfortunately, the song doesn't hold up when I'm not "playing" it.

Banks- my god this girl CAN NOT SING!!!

Barca- link was broken.

Well that's one down, three more to go. I need to catch up on the latest episode of Lost first though. Hopefully I'll get through all the other songs by the end of tomorrow.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 59:

Shryke- it was alright.

NSpan- I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear me say that I really enjoyed this. You finally throw me one right up my alley. Great pick, easily one of the best I hadnt heard before.

Six- Attention Six, THIS is how you ruin a classic song by one of the greatest bands of all time, by putting your shitty spin on it, and totally disregarding everything that made the song great in the first place. Fuck Devo.

becs- A-MA-ZING song.

UDM- I will respectfully decline on your invitation to listen to the Dixie Chicks.

Leestu- wow, Six, pay attention, Leestu's cover just kicked your cover's ass! Turning a shitty, sappy, awful song into an awesome one by adding your own good music to the mix! Awesome. I need to get some more Mudhoney.

Boush- the only Radiohead song I have ever liked. Yes, that does make me a tool. I don't care, they suck beyond this. And I hate them even more because they hate the song and don't even like playing it. They spit in the face of the song that made them so much damn money. Arrogant pricks. Be grateful. Of course Six loves them.

Surfer- eh, i wasn't nearly as crazy about it as you are. Sounded like a number 6 pick. (I did it, that's three digs on Six in a row!)

Tranny- Wow Tranny, I hate hip hop, but damn, this was good! this sort of thing actually exists? Why is the genre dominated by Kanye and Lil Wayne then? Is it just pure ignorance?

W- great song, and I for one, am firmly on the side of the Beatles and MLK in the debate.

Banks- sorry, but no.

Ozzy- Chris Cornell is on the short, short list for most talented vocalists in rock history, and he totally shows it here. Excellent song.

Barca- very fun song. The Hives were one of several bands that were all the same and weren't really memorable or distinguishable, but that doesn't mean they didn't put out some very likeable music! This was one of those songs.

Ron- I don't get this type of "music."

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote: Now, here's the moment that you've all been waiting for, it's

THE AWARD FOR GEEZER'S MOST CUTTING RESPONSE TO A SONG OR GENERAL TASTE

Despite Geez being snowed under and not being able to give us the full fury we deserve, there were still a few key contenders. So without any futher delay, the winner is.....
Ron- So in Australia this is what qualifies as music? I'm glad I'm not from there.
Way-hey! Nothing like a dash of mock xenophobia to liven up the criticism. Excellent, Geez, can't wait to see what you have to offer in the next few rounds.
Six I hadn't seen your last one, but I'm glad I went back and found it. This made my day! Great to see some appreciation for my work! thank you ever so much. I did think that was a rather cutting response. Don't know if it tops the previous winner though. This is the sort of thing that makes me miss the capability to post polls, as we could have people vote for their favorites!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 58:

Shryke- oh damn this is fucking CATCHY! This is one that I could see getting stuck in my head for days. I like.

NSpan- Hated it.

Six- not even a little bit.

becs- I don't think I had ever actually heard Bowie doing the song, but I've heard Nirvana's cover hundred's of times and absolutely adore it. This is, as you said, very similar, and very very good.

UDM- Once again, I decline the invitation.

leestu- needs a better recording to be properly judged, sorry.

boush- complete garbage.

Surfer- they were 15!!! Holy shit that is way too much talent for a group of 15 year old's. This was damn good! I want more of this album!

Tranny- man, this is such a disappointment. This is one of the worst Murphy's tracks, and I own every bit of material they have ever produced. Its just not very good. Its nice to see them represented, but there's about 50 songs I'd rather you had chosen. This album as a whole was quite a let down for me after Blackout and Warrior's Code.

W- A song that will appear on my list later on.

Banks- still not very good

Ozzy- see what I said up there ^^^.

Barca- another song that defines Catchy! That chorus is just quintessential stuck in your head material. I'll definitely be listening to this one again.

Ron- its ok, in small doses, and when used properly, like a montage sequence or something, or when plastered drunk, but its not really something I'd listen to otherwise.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Numbersix
awesome song, I can't get tired of it. the sound quality on this video wasnt too great though

BarcaRulz
(also leestu's #92)
i actually remember this song from all the hundreds that we've listened to it, which is a feat in and of itself. good song!

NSpan
T-Rex, "Rock On
” (1972)
I didnt think i would like this, but it was pretty catchy.

englishozzy

this was a strange listen for me, the first 30 seconds i thought this is weird, then it got really cool and intersting for the next 15 secons and i was thinking i was going to love this song, then the vocals started and i wanted to turn it off, but then it went back to decent vocals. so all in all, i liked it, with a few parts which i wish werent in there.

leestu
(1987)
that was pretty good in a haunting way.

Geezer
(also englishozzy's #60)
i honestly dont remember this song. that being said, it's not bad. it's a shame though, that you dont give a song more of a chance than the first 5 seconds. I've come to love a lot of songs that i've hated at first.

Shrykespeare
Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell”
(1984)
i've never heard this song before. it wasnt bad, but i didnt particularly like it.

silversurfer

it was interesting enough, but i wouldnt really seek it out

becs
Queen, “Killer Queen”
(also W's #53)
yikes not again, i dont think i minded listening to it the first time, this time i didnt like it at all.

Buscemi
Spandau Ballet, “True”

excruciating!

transformers

I think Muse is the on of the bands that i've grown to like most from this journey that we've been taking, that being said, i didnt really like this song.

W
(also Geezer's #73)
not for me

Banks
Eminem, “Stan”
after hearing it a second time, i like it even less than the first time. there are much better eminem songs out there

Ron Burgundy

this was just strange to me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

THREAD REVIEW

Once again Six has been found to be my favourite of the round, with six of his songs I really, really liked. He was closely followed this time by becs and Ron, and a little further behind transformers, Leestu and Barca. UDM and Banks seem to be the only ones I'm absolutely struggling to find a song I like from. NSpan (Pixies, Hey), Geezer (wait and see) and Leestu (Pixies, Hey) were the only guys to submit a song in my top 100 in this thread. I imagine as we get into our top 50 though we'll find this occuring much more often.

Favourite 10 I had heard before but not on my list

1. Joy Division, Atmosphere (Leestu)
2. Smashing Pumpkins, Disarm (becs)
3. Pulp, This is Hardcore (six)
4. Pixies, Where Is My Mind? (Buscemi)
5. Faith No More, Epic (transformers)
6. The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers (six)
7. Radiohead, Creep (Buscemi, englishozzy)
8. Pixies, Velouria (NSpan)
9. The Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane (six)
10. The Hives, Hate to Say I Told You So (Barca)

Favourite 6 I hadn't heard before

1. The Frames, Revelate (Barca)
2. The Fall, Totally Wired (six)
3. Mudhoney, The Rose (Leestu)
4. The Velvet Underground, Pale Blue Eyes (Leestu)
5. Antony and the Johnsons, Hope There's Someone (becs)
6. Simon and Garfunkel, Hazy Shade of Winter (becs)