Top 30 Songs of 2021

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2021

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #9

Shrykespeare

Future Islands, The Painter

Crushing a piano
The pieces in the yard
I can see the faces
Tracing your heart
Fear has made you shallow
Hiding in your tomb
I'm screaming at the dust, "Is this good by you?"

“Born in a War” from Future Islands’ 2020 album As Long As You Are made my list last year, but it wasn’t until early 2021 that I listened to the full album, and DAMN, did this song grab me right from the get-go. Samuel Herring’s unique voice, layered expertly over some interesting synth beats, creating a canvas as expertly as the titular Painter might create on his best day.

Leestu

shame, Nigel Hitter

A catchy song from their great second album.

Tranny

Halsey, Bells in Santa Fe

Halsey takes advantage of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross' extensive history as film and TV composers by having them craft a rich, cinematic soundscape for this epic track that helps set the tone for the massively-scaled "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power" in the early going.

Six

Goat Girl, Anxiety Feels

So the last few months have been particularly difficult for me. An opportunity at work, one that is still ongoing, has descended into a nightmare, one that pitches between being insane and hilarious. But the result of the stress and anxiety has led me to taking anti-depressants for the first time in my life, which caused unpleasant side-effects. All the while this song has been ringing in my head, particularly the “I don’t wanna be on these pills”, sung so beautifully by the girls from Brixton, its pleasantness juxtaposed with the underlying sense of nervousness.

Surfer

Tune-Yards, Hypnotized

Tune-Yards came close to break up with their last record, as Merrill Garbus used the record to conduct some introspection on her role as a white woman creating music built on Afrobeat element and its perhaps implicit racism. Thankfully for us listeners, the band reacquainted themselves with their love for music and what resulted was a joyous album released last year. "Hypnotized" is the centrepiece of that record, with it's summery, uplifting tones, complete with Garbus' resplendent vocals climbing into the stratosphere. Adding this sense of fun and wonder founded on creative experimentation, it is a delightful song begging you to join in with its chorus.

RON B

Methyl Ethel, Neon Cheap

JOHNERLE

Buffalo Nichols, Back On Top

It's nice to see such a young kid* keeping the spirit of the blues alive.

*(He's 30, which counts as a young kid for me now.)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke: Did zero for me

Leetsu: The female vocals contrasted nicely with the usual psych rock you listen to. Liked this a lot.

Tranny: He's got a great flow in this track.

Surf: It was okay, but because absolutely everyone is doing the whole 80s synth pop thing for the last decade, this doesn't stand out much.

Ron B: Kind of a nothing song.

John: Surprised that his voice hasn't changed and still sounds good, but they did little for me back then and little now.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke: You cheat! But, this was one of your better tracks so I shall drop the pitchfork and quench the torch

Leetsu: The boys really upped their game with record two. I hear a lot of Gang of Four in this song, particularly in the vocals. And that's a very, very good thing.

Tranny: Liked the understated production

Surf: I didn't get around to their new album, but this was pretty solid stuff.

Ron B: Pleasant, mildly funky stuff.

John: Not exactly reinventing the wheel here, but it was decent.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Round 9 was easily the best round yet. I found something to like in every pick except Ron's. I didn't know Tune-Yards were still around, but that was probably my favorite from this round, and Future Islands was a nice piece of not too glossy sythnpop.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (shame) - I'm making no plans to listen to Nigel again. :D

Tranny (Halsey) - Halsey, for me, is in the same category as Billie, Taylor, and LDR - decent music that never leaves a lasting impact on me.

Six (Goat Girl) - Song was ok. So sorry to hear about your troubles, Eoin. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to gab.

Surfer (Tune-Yards) - I've definitely heard this before. Could never forget THAT video. Good song.

Ron B (Methyl Ethyl) - Sorry, Ron, this sounded hella generic to me.

JohnErle (Buffalo Nichols) - Nice track, grandpa.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #8

Shrykespeare

Royal Blood, Oblivion

Fire in my lungs, I'm spun
Walking on wire
In delirium, descending higher and higher
Can't live like this forever
Running out of lifelines
Going hell for leather for just one last ride

The first thing that’ll smack you in the face about this song is the absolutely SICK guitar riffs. The second will be the trippy video that, to my delight, perfectly matches each beat of the song. Mike Kerr’s distorted vocals are a perfect fit, as are Ben Thatcher’s blistering drums. My only problem with the song is that it’s too dang short!

Leestu

glass beach, beach life in death

Sorry to do this to everyone but the underrated band glass beach lovingly covering the Car Seat Headrest masterpiece was always going to be a favourite of the year for me.

Tranny

Every Time I Die, All This and War

It's exceptionally bittersweet that Every Time I Die is breaking up. Not only had they maintained a level of consistency and urgency over the span of nine records that is practically unheard of in the metalcore community, but they actually managed to become a better and more cohesive unit as the years went on. The only blessing to come out of this shitty development is that the record (entitled Radical) that proved to be their last effort could very well be their best. "All This and War" is my favorite track from Radical and it serves as a brilliant showcase for the intensity, introspection and breakneck energy that made Every Time I Die one of the most decorated heavy music acts of the past 25 years.

Six

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, Balcony Man

Curse you, Cave, for making us feel lazy. While we were watching Netflix or baking banana bread, he was holed up with long-time collaborator and Bad Seed Warren Ellis, making a surprise new album. Still reeling from the shock of his son’s death, this record is more about the wonder of life and humanity, with this song being so simple and beautiful, the ambient opening giving way to a stunning piano-led ballad as Cave sings “this morning is amazing and so are you”. Thanks, Nick, I needed that.

Surfer

Anna B Savage, Corncrakes

Whilst it may have taken a full five years for Savage to return following her debut EP which garnered acclaim from the likes of Father John Misty and Jenny Hval, this time was not spent poorly. As she dealt with many a personal dilemma and entered numerous stages of therapy, what resulted was a record borne of her introspection and is totally honest with itself. In "Corncrakes," Savage’s stunning vocal style remains an essential element to the mix, with her deep, vibrato croon bringing to mind the likes of Scott Walker, Jeff Buckley and ANOHNI. Combining these vocals with William Doyle's (East India Youth) production has revealed a deeply frank song, striking a treacherous balance between fragility and defiance as she charts the evolution of her feelings as you reach maturity. Brooding and beautiful, the song starts out forlornly whispered, before building to something quite cathartic by its conclusion.

RON B

Skrillex feat. Starrah & Four Tet, Butterflies

JOHNERLE

Billy Bragg, Mid-Century Modern

“I'm used to people listening to what I have to say
So I find it hard to think that it might help if I just stepped away.”

The music owes a lot to Dylan, but the lyrics are pure Bragg.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke: Hard pass. Honestly, might even been the most brutal song for me to get through of the entire countdown so far.

Leestu: Started off alight, but it became very monotonous by the 2-minute mark.

six: Not something I'll revisit, but it conveys an anxious mood well and the lyrics are vulnerable and honest.

surfer: Meh.

Ron: Shryke, I spoke too soon....

John: Pretty good little blues tune. Kid (who's basically the same age as me) definitely has a strong understanding of the genre.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Future Islands): It's his vocal delivery that's full of character that I like about Future Islands. The indie synthpop - sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Here it is okay. So song didn't stand out, vocals are great.

Tranny (Halsey): yes this is cool. Does feel like a cinematic lead up to something and that would be good in the album context if it does. I haven't heard the album, just the singles, but I might check it out.

Six (Goat Girl): I love the power of music when a song speaks to you and seems to capture something about what you experience/think/feel at that period of time, and I can see this doing that. I like the slightly complex sounding rhythms, and the softer vibe to Goat Girl on this album works well on this track.

Surfer (Tune-Yards): an interesting, giddy, dizzying song...there is a few a like better from this album though (Homewrecker, and the closer come to mind). I have a Tune-Yards song coming up on my facebook 100.

Ron B (Methyl Ethel): The band from Perth who were on the 4AD label for a little while. The main guy behind Methyl Ethel is a fascinating guy musically, and to listen to in interviews, who knows what he is talking about. Always experimenting with trippy atmospherics, but still managing to write catchy songs whose appeal grows on you. Nice pick! A song where the appreciation comes from multiple listens.

John (Buffalo Nichols): nice solid blues tune...very enjoyable

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Royal Blood): not bad...great energy, and good riffs and beat...A bit overproduced for my taste considering I loved their rawer debut album...even your guitar rock choices sound synthy ;)

Tranny (Every Time I Die): yeah this is good...heavy riffs that hooked me instantly, great passionate hardcore-like vocals that aren't too much...I am sure I have said I was going to listen to more of this band in previous music countdowns here and I still haven't, but I still intend to :lol:

Six (Nick Cave): this album drop was a pleasant surprise. Always happy to listen to these two musical geniuses...a beautiful closer to the album

Surfer (Anna B Savage): I would have to be in the right mood to listen to it but this was very good! Thanks, adding this to my 2021 playlist

Ron (Skrillex et al): not fully my style, but it's a good quality song that I enjoy when it's on

John: (Billy Bragg): always good for a great lyric or two...this song got a few listens from me...early Billy Bragg was definitely an influence on my musical taste

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke: Fun. You should try listening to Death From Above 1979, another bass+drum combo who sound similar, if not a little heavier

Leetsu: Wasn't bad, but then again the original isn't exactly their best work either.

Tranny: Too metallic for little old me.

Surf: Wasn't feeling it at first but when it kicks up a notch it got interesting.

Ron B: Felt very conventional for what I thought Skrillex sounded like.

John: Ah Bragg, still around, still doing the same. Nice, but not something I'll remember.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Nothing really appealed to me at all in round 8, after a strong round 9. That always seems to happen at least once in these countdowns. The most appealing song was Shryke's, which sounded a lot like Muse, but ultimately it was way too slick for me. As you may have noticed, I prefer a more organic sound to this kind of overproduced artificiality.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (glass beach) - I made it through the wilderness. Somehow I made it throu-a-hoo. Damn, this was long. I liked the last quarter of it the best.

Tranny (ETID) - This couldn't end fast enough for me. It's a cryin' shame... I'm sooooo tired....

Six (Nick & Warren) - This was a welcome change of pace after Tranny's eardrum-shatterer. Great song by the Caveman.

Surfer (Anne Savage) - Quite enjoyed that, particularly the ending.

Ron B (Skrillex etc.) - This was decent. Loved the mixed of instrumentation.

JohnErle (Billy Bragg) - This guy has the broguiest brogue I've ever heard. Enjoyed the song too.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #7

Shrykespeare

ONR feat. Carina Jade, Sober

A more cynical child
You never could meet
Probably part-prodigy
I grow tired of myself
So tired of my shit
Ever the better for me

I was introduced to Scottish singer ONR (aka Robert Shields) last year when his song “Must Stop” hit my Top 100 at #44. I dove a little deeper into his song list in 2021, and was delighted to find this gem. I don’t know much about Carina Jade – what I’ve found is mostly atmospheric alt-pop with lyrics that deal with dark issues like mental illness. Her lilting voice provides a welcome contrast to Shields’ no-holds-barred approach, and their collaboration is one of my favorites of the year. (FYI – the French phrase uttered at the onset translates to “It has no effect, you understand – try neurosurgery.”

Leestu

Mdou Moctar, Afrique Victime

A great fusion of Tishoumaren (electric guitar-led North African desert blues) music and Hendrix inspired psychedelic rock.

Tranny

Billie Eilish, Billie Bossa Nova

I'm not familiar enough with Bossa Nova music to comment on whether or not Billie Elilish made something that's true to the spirit of the genre. What I will say that is that the more up-tempo, groovy nature of the production allows Eilish to expand her vocal delivery in exciting new ways while also managing to bring a bit of a nocturnal vibe to something that would've certainly been a lot sunnier if it were in the hands of a more traditional pop artist.

Six

Parquet Courts, Walking at a Downtown Pace

There are a lot of bands who are embracing the baggy scene of late 80s Manchester, from Lorde to Iceage to these guys. Which is odd for me, as I was never huge a fan. Still, this track has an incredible beat that works well with Andrew Savage’s New York droll drawl. Plus it was one of (Team) Obama’s favourite tracks of the year.

Surfer

Squid, Narrator

Following a couple of years gaining traction and many a plaudit as they honed their craft prior to releasing their debut album, Squid unleashed their debut album, and lead single "Narrator," midway through last year. Fighting the ridiculous weight of expectations built by such a catalogue to date, "Narrator" seemed a song which would struggle to endear itself to a huge audience, with its pushing and pulling, building and releasing between scraggly guitar figures and measured tempo changes. Yet, with this built on Ollie Judge's scream/shout, catapulted from the top of his lungs vocals (and the added howling courtesy of Martha Skye Murphy) may prove an acquired taste, "Narrator" has the capacity to consume you, devour you in its post apocalyptic landscape of futuristic sonic tones.

RON B

Rufus Du Sol, Next to Me

JOHNERLE

Matt The Electrician, Big Changes

This last-minute addition kept climbing higher and higher on my list as I was putting it together. It started off as a bubble pick then moved up to the mid-teens, but each time I hear it I like it more and more, so I keep bumping it higher. Maybe this is the recency bias talking but it's currently #7 with a bullet.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

In the past we've done that thing when, instead of me posting the #1s (unless requested), you guys get to do that.

By my calculations, I'll post the #2s on 1/31. So, let's do a schedule of what day everyone wants to do their #1 song.

Feb 1:
Feb 2:
Feb 3:
Feb 4: Tranny
Feb 5: JohnErle
Feb 6:
Feb 7: Shryke

The only person who has sent me his #1 is Ron B. Ron, let me know if you want me to post it or if you would prefer to do it yourself.

ETA: JohnErle informed me he wants 2/5.

ETA: Added Tranny for 2/4.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll take the 4th
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!