Top 30 Songs of 2021

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2021

Post by Shrykespeare »

We're going to take a break after this song so everyone can catch up.

SONG #11

Shrykespeare

Weezer, The End of the Game

Hey, Suzy, where you been today?
I'm looking for you every way
No sign of you when I wake up
I'm on an island with no sun
I feel like I've known you my whole life
You got me crying like when Aslan died
Now you're gone

After a long, long delay, Weezer finally released their fifteenth album, Van Weezer, in May. The album had a lot of good songs that marked a return to form, and the whole record was a tribute to Eddie Van Halen, who passed in 2020. The best example is the opening riff to “The End of the Game”, a joyous rocker that the “devil sign” was truly made for. And you gotta love the Narnia reference.

Leestu

Sly Withers, Clarkson

Emo indie rock is a hard sell nowadays but this is a great song. Sly Withers had a song at #29 on my list last time we did this, and this time they Just miss out on the top 10. This is the band who I did get to see play live last year that Noah Dillon from a couple of songs ago was the support act, and this was the anthemic crowd pleaser of the set.

Tranny

Coheed and Cambria, Shoulders

The goofy bounce of that riff! The big, poppy hook! The cheesy, gibberish-adjacent backup vocals! Coheed and Cambria brought 80's hard rock back out of nowhere and it's so beautiful that it might move me to tears.

Six

Lingua Ignota, I Who Bend Tall Grasses

Definitely an acquired taste, Lingua Ignota creates dissonant in-your-face drone music as she purges herself from her furious fantasies and resentments. The organ evokes a sense of religion, and indeed the lyrics follow a conversation with a deity in which the singer implores to spite the person she hates, knowing throughout that her prayers of rage dissipate into the void.

Surfer

Pardoner, Spike

RON B

Royal Blood, Typhoons

JOHNERLE

Sparks, She's Worth Her Weight In Gold

Annette was a big disappointment for this Sparks superfan, but late in the year a few Sparks demos appeared on an extended version of the soundtrack album and reinforced my opinion that it was mainly Leos Carax and Adam Driver who dropped the ball on the movie. The demos have more of a Sparks aesthetic than almost anything in the final film, Russel Mael's singing voice is vastly preferable to Adam Driver's, and these lyrics from a song that was cut from the movie help explain Henry McHenry's anger much better than the finished film does.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke: Sorry pal, this really bored me.

Leestu: Alright-ish song. Learning about the existence of a poetic, acoustic guitar-slinging Scottish crooner was definitely more enjoyable.

Six: Little too mid-tempo for my tastes, but decent enough overall.

Surfer: The purity of the emotion on display makes up for the below average minimalist production.

Ron: One of Billie's best tracks to date. The transition from the muted crooning of the first half into the explosive borderline noise punk of the second is masterful, cathartic and completely unlike anything she's ever done before.

John: Most of it was pretty stagnant, but holy shit the guitar shredding was as great as advertised.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

#14 and #13

Shryke: The Maine sound like very typical contemporary pop and wasn't for me. Nation of Language was better though, even if very retro.

Leetsu: Neither really grabbed me. Can't win them all, pal.

Tranny: That was a particularly good King Gizzard song. as for Mastodon, well at least it wasn't too long.

Surf: Illuminati Hotties have a great name but the 60s-style music didn't grab me. Liked Mannequin Pussy, who had a Hole vibe to them.

Ron B: Goon Sax song was very endearing. Reminded me of a lot of stuff my brother listened to in the late 80s and early 90s. Polish Club were too derivative though.

John: Hounddog reminded me a lot of Ryan Adams's better work. Jordan Tice's guitar skills were impressive.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I was wondering if and when Bille Eilish would show up on someone's list, and then she showed up twice in one day. You guys convinced me she was legit in previous countdowns, so I listened to the 2021 album but nothing really grabbed me. The commercial and critical response to this album seems pretty muted when compared to the earlier one, and I can see why. Much of the album felt like more of the same, and the mumbly ASMR vocals now feel like a tiresome gimmick.

Arab Strap and Geese both survived round 12 and will live to fight another day on my 2021 playlist, but I suspect Arab Strap has a much better chance of sticking around long-term. Everything sounds better with a Scottish brogue. There was a lot of emotion in that Lucy Dacus track, but the story it tells is so vague I'm not convinced the anger is justified. As for round 11, there was nothing there I need to hear a second time.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke: Skipped this because their prior few records had been so average. This was a little bit better than the bulk of that stuff from those records, but I'm not really sold on it being an effective tribute to Van Halen.

Leestu: Emo has been a very hit or miss genre since I was a teenager. This was firmly on the hit end. Honestly, this is some of the best work in the genre I've heard in a long time. Going to have to give these guys some more run.

six: The genre tags on RateYourMusic had always scared me off from checking her stuff out despite the widespread acclaim. Can't exactly say that I regret that decision after hearing this. :lol:

surfer: Pretty decent. Liked that it was punchy and very short.

Ron: Not among their best work, but still pretty good. Dance-punk suits their groove-based sound well.

John: It was only a matter of time before those pesky Mael Brothers showed up. Didn't think it was any better or worse than the other Sparks tracks you've picked in the past.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke: Decent song for what some would say lesser Depeche Mode, and the video definitely helped.

Leetsu: I've always acknowledged Arab Strap's talent, although the music barely tracks and it's so dreary at times. That said, this was pretty good and the line about shitehawks (not sure if that's a very Scottish thing) was hilarious.

Tranny and Ron: Liked the electropop of Oxytocin more. Both were good.

Surf: Nice vocals, but didn't quite keep my attention.

John: Very smokey indeed, although of course I'm going to say I prefer Tom Wait's stompy original more.

Shryke/Leetsu/Tranny: Well, 80s heavy rock shredding is a major aspect in all of these tracks. So I didn't like any of them!

Surf: Nice and brief and fun. Reminds me of early Parquet Courts.

Rob B: Diet Death From Above 1979. Still was fun and probably the highlight of this round.

John: Really enjoyed the first song, So May We Start, as well. Although this year my focus was on No 1 in Heaven, particularly Beat the Clock which rang in my head as I desperately tried to hit deadlines for work last year.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (Sly Withers) - Loved the buildup. Listened to it three times, liked it more each time. Thanks.

Tranny (C & C) - Anything that reminds me of 80s hard rock, I like. I still think Wig Wam hits that particular mark a little better, but this was good.

Six (Linguini Iguana) - No. Just, no. I couldn't even get through half of this. And also, "Linguini Iguana" would be a great name for a band, don't'cha think?

Surfer (Pardoner) - Wow, that was short. But sweet.

Ron B (Royal Blood) - So glad you like Royal Blood, Ron. Gives me hope you'll like at least one of my Top 10... Anyway, I really dig these guys' sound. The whole album was quite good, but this was not among my favorites.

JohnErle (Sparks) - Sorry, pal, I know you think Sparks is God's gift to music, but... I'm just not on that bus. Or even on that continent.

Since we seem to be mostly caught up, I will resume with #10 as soon as Leestu and Surfer send me some more songs.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

To be honest, I had no idea Make It Rain was a cover. Gov't Mule are a jam band who do lots of covers and doing versions of other people's songs is part of Blues tradition, so there are plenty of covers I did recognize on the album, but not that one

To say I didn't put much thought into this year's list is an understatement. In fact, I realize now that I totally forgot about Steve Earle's J.T. which came in January last year. It was far from his best, but Harlem River Blues deserved a mention.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Top 10, Baby!!

SONG #10

Shrykespeare

The Happy Fits, Hold Me Down

I tremble when I see your eyes
I saw them in a dream last night
And they heard me sing a song
I never cared for fancy art
Or poetry and old guitars
But they always sing along

Then the notes fill up like a big balloon
As I'm drifting upwards away from you
Now I'm screaming mad with two clenched hands
Will beauty come if I don't land?
I'm here, my love, but I'm floating, baby

This trio of youths from New Jersey were one of my most pleasant surprises of 2021. Their first charted single, “Hold Me Down” showcases some truly catchy riffs and some truly inspired lyrics for guys so young. Their mission to create upbeat, positive songs are a welcome diversion in this weird times, and as for the video…well, I love bands that have a sense of humor, and these guys clearly do. And seriously, how many rock groups incorporate a cello these days?

Leestu

Nice Biscuit, Candle

One of the best psychedelic rock songs of the year, with the harmonies of the two female singers adding some beauty to this massive tune.

Tranny

Tyler the Creator, MASSA

The maturity and confidence Tyler, the Creator has developed in recent years takes the reins here as he details some of the previously unknown highs and lows of his career thus far in a very casual yet forthright manner.

Six

Little Simz, Point and Kill

One of the highest-rated albums of last year is normally of little interest to me, but I happened upon this song and was instantly enraptured by its swagger. I love the contrast between Obongjayar’s throaty vocals and Simz’s cute hip-hop bravado.

Surfer

Japanese Breakfast, Be Sweet

Whereas her previous two albums dealt with the grief and dissociation caused by the death of her mother, Japanese Breakfast returned last year with a synth pop delight revelling in all its 1980s influences. Processing all of Michelle Zauner’s emotion into an expression of joyous, utter feeling, Be Sweet is an affirmation of her life, of our lives, through collective experiences of triumph we share together. Such assurance has brought Zauner to a point where she has exceeded all expectations and embraced the full scope of her ambition, as well as a delightful funk with soaring vocals.

RON B

The Avalanches feat. Cola Boyy/Mick Jones, We Go On

JOHNERLE

Crowded House, Whatever You Want

Crowded House are now a multi-generational band with two of Neil Finn's sons in the fold, and super-producer Mitchell Froom finally agreed to join the band as a full-time member. Despite all the new blood, the sound is unmistakably Crowded House. I decided not to include multiple songs from the same album this year, but if I had Crowded House might have had multiple songs appear.

Also: To The Island, Playing With Fire

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Round 10

I have a little time to jot down my first impressions today, so... yay?

Fappy Hits – If I'd heard this on the radio I would have thought “I bet Shryke would love this.” Even the cello, which I normally love, sounds watered down for top 40 radio consumption. Not for me.

Nice Biscuit – It feels like every other indie rock band these days sounds just like this. Other than the vocals, which sound a lot like Goat, it didn't really stand out in any way.

Tyler The Creator – How many times can one song use the word “I”? Self-absorbed much? Not for me.

Little Simz – I LOVED the afrobeat rhythms, but the violence in the video and chorus means I really have to look at the lyrics before fully embracing this one.

Japanese Breakfast – Way too saccharine for me. Considering their name, I expected something more savoury than sweet. Also, I seem to take umbrage with people too young to remember the 80s mimicking those sounds since those were my formative years. The 70s or earlier are fair game, while mimicking the 90s just seems lazy. That's my issue, I know, but it seems to happen to me a lot.

The Avalanches – Too cheesy for me. Also, Mick Jones? Dude? What the hell?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:01 pm

Fappy Hits – If I'd heard this on the radio I would have thought “I bet Shryke would love this.”
Wow. You're GOOD. :lol:

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shrykespeare wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:14 pm
JohnErle wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 3:01 pm

Fappy Hits – If I'd heard this on the radio I would have thought “I bet Shryke would love this.”
Wow. You're GOOD. :lol:
It's like The Dead Zone, but for music.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Happy Fits): Basically what John said: can see you liking it, I don't

Tranny (Tyler): I like the production and beats here but still just part of the album for me that doesn't stand out on its own

Six (Little Simz): cool afrofunk and good vocals from both...the album is worth a listen with a handful of really good songs, but just misses out on my top 100 for the year...this is one of the handful though

Surfer (Japanese Breakfast): the album was okay, nothing I would come back to...not keen on this one at all though...too sickly sweet dance pop for synth pop I like

Ron (The Avalanches): huh! four songs in a row this round from highly acclaimed albums...nice choice, great song...best song of this round (apart from my own of course ;) )...The Avalanches have this skill of putting things together that shouldn't go together, and making them sound perfect together...I think I now like this more than the Carpenters song it plunders heavily from (and I have always had a soft spot for Carpenters)

John (Crowded House): it was okay...I liked To The Island that Shryke posted on FB more.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (Nice Biskit) - This was really cool, dude. Loved it.

Tranny (Tyler Tha Kreatah) - Pretty sure I wouldn't like it before I started. I was right.

Six (Lil' Sims) - This wasn't too bad. What country is this?

Surfer (Japanese Brekkie) - I liked this the first time I heard it last year. I think I like it a little less now. Her high notes are a little grating.

Ron B (Avalunches) - This was incredib.....ly meh.

JohnErle (Crowded House) - Great to see one of my favorite bands on your list! Two songs from Dreamers are Coming made my Top 100 - "To the Island" at #91, and another one that'll be coming up around the midpoint mark. This was really good, as most of their stuff is.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke: Listenable, but nothing particularly noteworthy

Leestu: Honestly, not really sure what to think about this one. The vocals really didn't work for me at all, but the instrumentation did a good job of blending grooves with trippy, techy madness.

six: A weird one for me as Simz's rapping and the production are nuts, but the repetition of the hook is complete overkill for such a short song.

surfer: Solid track from a solid album.

Ron: Pretty torturous. Each new vocalist that came in was more annoying than the one that preceded it.

John: Was on the fence, but that distorted bluesy guitar solo at the end was enough to win me over.