Top 50 Songs of 2020 (10-2)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (10-2)

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Her shit is in very much in my wheelhouse, but I've found each song you've picked-particularly this one-to be a little bit too nondescript to really connect.

John: Nothing short of a triumph after the grueling quirk torture chamber that was Lawnmower.

Leestu: God do I need to them see live. Their last US tour was in fall 2019, but I hadn't really gotten to them enough at the point to go-which is very unfortunate since it was a sold out show at a 1,000 capacity venue in Boston proper that has a tendency to have shows that get really rowdy.

Ron: Even on guest spots, Rivers Cuomo proves to a true wild card that's capable of landing anywhere on the musical quality spectrum. This particular track was very flat with an extremely annoying hook.

Screen: Have to agree with Six on this one. She sounds completely like a soulless Alanis knock off here, although I will admit that the hook is half decent.

Shryke: Not any better or worse than the prior tracks you chose. Gothic rock isn't a genre that I'm a particularly big fan of, but Birthday Massacre is definitely good at it.

Six: Both this song and album get better with each listen. Music really needs more singularly unique, boldly experimental and generally electric presences like Yves Tumor. I share your strong desire to see him live once 'Rona is behind us (and if his shows are anything like the fan-filmed clip of him playing this song in Houston about 10 days before the lockdown last year that I stumbled upon on YouTube while looking for a video to send to Shryke is any indication, his shows are WILD).

Surfer: Shit, these guys are making a last second push to catch up with RTJ, Dua Lipa and The Weeknd. I can appreciate the anxiousness present in the vocal delivery and music, but it's far too repetitive to make a real impact on me

UDM: Didn't enjoy it, but it was definitely less miserable than I expected considering my feelings towards both artists.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 2

Banks, Mothika - I get that this may be a stand out act for you this past year, but honestly, I don't really hear anything that could spark such passion for them. The production has some cool moments, but vocally is pretty dull.

JohnErle, Sparks - This was a little more subtle than some of the other tracks you posted, and it was ok. Not Lawnmower good, but very listenable.

Leestu, IDLES - Starting to feel like I am being bludgeoned by you guys with IDLES just as much as their music attempts the same. Still feel this is not able to separate itself musically from what has come before while lyrically much weaker. I'll stick to the first two albums. I can, however, confirm IDLES are awesome live, they put on quite a show.

Ron, The Avalanches - Much preferred the earlier Avalanches song, and in really pales in comparison to anything from Since I Left You. Rivers didn't help either, a shadow of his former self.

Screen, Meg Myers - That piano intro sounded very similar to Muse's New Born, but when the angsty pop was churned out I lost interest.

Shryke, The Birthday Massacre - Is it just me, or can I hear a little Shirley Manson in this. Thus, I can appreciate where you are coming from on your affection for the music. It's probably a little on the glossy side of the production side which stops me from enjoying this further, but it was ok.

Six, Yves Tumor - Really good stuff again, need to check this album out.

Transformers, Rina Sawayama - Yeah, while I admit some of my picks take a few genres and mash them together ti what I feel is cohesive, this feels like a step too far. Some cool ideas, but nothing to hold my interest.

Undeadmonkey, Ed Sheeran and Andrea Bocelli - I'm sure this collaboration was great news for brides the world over. I'm not a bride, unfortunately, and so this did not appeal in the slightest.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

For the final time this year as a group!

Banks - Mothica - I really enjoyed this.

JohnErle - Sparks - This was quite interesting. I liked it.

Leestu - Idles - I must be in a good mood today. This was a lot better than the first time I heard it.

Ron B - The Avalanches - Not too shabby. Rivers' presence definitely helped.

Screen - Meg Myers - This didn't do much for me.

Six - Yves Tumor - Not bad. Sounded kind of Gorillaz-y.

Surfer - Sweet - I've heard several songs by this artist, and it seems I ever love the song or hate it. This is in the former category.

Tranny - Rina Sawayama - This was OK, but too poppy for me. Her voice is not the least bit distinctive in her genre.

UDM - Ed & Andrea - I don't mind classical, but only in small portions. I enjoyed this, but won't be going back to it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Surfer: Porridge Radio, Sweet - a standout song

Six: Yves Tumor, Gospel for a New Century - great song!

UDM: Ed Sheeran & Andrea Bocelli, Perfect Symphony - impressive!...sometimes I can't help but like vocal performances like these even if I don't want to

Shryke: The Birthday Massacre, The Sky Will Turn- it's a little better than meh, I quite like their sound

Ron B: The Avalanches feat. Rivers Cuomo & Piink Siifu, Running Red Lights - despite picking an Avalanches song myself earlier in the countdown, this song never clicked with me and I don't quite get its popularity

Transformers: Rina Sawayama, XS - thanks for the cool insight into the song...the metal guitar stabs add to the appeal (still a bit too poppy for me to really enjoy but I appreciate it)

John: Sparks, Pacific Standard Time - not as interesting as the last few Sparks songs

Banks: Mothica, Crash - fine for a pop song, like the emotion to it

Screen: Meg Myers, Adelaide - I have liked most of the Meg Myers songs but this one not so much...a bit standardish

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Been listening to Idles Model Village on repeat (the live performance) its so good
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale