Top 50 Songs of 2020 (20-11)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (20-11)

Post by Leestu »

JohnErle wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 9:58 pm

If it's a full album experience you're looking for, I'd recommend I Feel Alright as starting point. Much of it harkens back to early rock & roll or rockabilly like Elvis, Gene Vincent, or Johnny Cash, and there's plenty of classic blues and a bit of Velvet Underground in there as well. So You Wanna Be An Outlaw was his most overtly country album since the 80s, and also my least favourite since the 80s. I love the eclectic nature of Transcendental Blues, but if those wild mood swings aren't your thing, I Feel Alright is much more focused musically than his later albums. It's also the first album he wrote after getting out of prison and getting sober, so it's his most personal, confessional album. I believe it was in my top 5 when we did the album countdown ages ago.
Thanks for the rec...those two highlighted points piqued my interest...I've added it to my to listen to list.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Surfer: The Cool Greenhouse, Cardboard Man - that was excellent...it was like bits of The Fall, LCD Soundsystem, and Parquet Courts, three bands I love...looking forward to hearing the whole album when I get around to it

Shyrke: Purity Ring, stardew - great song...it took me a while to get accustomed to her voice but once I did there's a lot to enjoy about Purity Ring

John: Steve Earle & The Dukes, It's About Blood - powerful song

Transformers: Rina Sawayama, Paradisin' certainly more interesting than most pop at the moment...she's got potential, and after her last two albums (although they are both a bit inconsistent and not everything works) I'm still curious to see where she goes next...and good on her for getting the Mercury Prize and Brit awards rulings changed

Six: Sufjan Stevens, Run Away With Me - I appreciate it more than like it

Banks: Machine Gun Kelly feat Blackbear, My Ex's Best Friend - one of the weaker tracks from a surprisingly decent album...Concert For Aliens is my go to from the album

Ron: The Weeknd, Save Your Tears - I'm not a fan of The Weeknd but the full on embrace of '80s aesthetics works for this song and makes it one of the better songs from the album.

Screen: M-22 feat. Medina, First Time - I don't hear anything special about this song

UDM: Andrea Bocelli, Fall On Me - while I appreciate the sentiment I cannot relate to the lifestyles of the rich and famous

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Leestu wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 10:14 pm
JohnErle wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 9:58 pm

If it's a full album experience you're looking for, I'd recommend I Feel Alright as starting point. Much of it harkens back to early rock & roll or rockabilly like Elvis, Gene Vincent, or Johnny Cash, and there's plenty of classic blues and a bit of Velvet Underground in there as well. So You Wanna Be An Outlaw was his most overtly country album since the 80s, and also my least favourite since the 80s. I love the eclectic nature of Transcendental Blues, but if those wild mood swings aren't your thing, I Feel Alright is much more focused musically than his later albums. It's also the first album he wrote after getting out of prison and getting sober, so it's his most personal, confessional album. I believe it was in my top 5 when we did the album countdown ages ago.
Thanks for the rec...those two highlighted points piqued my interest...I've added it to my to listen to list.
After that, I'd recommend Terraplane, which is another very traditional album heavily rooted in the blues, and with very little country. It's not as lyrically meaningful, but it's a lot of fun.