Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Welcome Banks, Ron B, and Six!!

SONG #30

BANKS

Childish Gambino, Algorythym

Donald Glover has been making great music for over a decade now, and he released this album via a streaming website that only lasted 12 hours. Unfortunately, he did that on March 15th, which meant it was slightly overshadowed by the onset of a global pandemic. This is my favorite song from that surprise album; Donald’s voice and the way the song strolls at its own pace are super endearing. His entire output has been very Prince-esque for the past few years and you can definitely hear that here.

JOHNERLE

My Morning Jacket, Still Thinkin'

As the album title indicates, there are no huge surprises here for MMJ fans, but as their late era goes, it's well worth hearing.

LEESTU

Peter Bibby, Whyalla

I guess at his core Peter Bibby is a singer/songwriter, but he is also a bit of a yobbo, so it is really warped and noisy singer/songwriter tales, mostly about the undercurrent of society, the homeless, the unemployed, the struggling etc. He is a local act who I try to see whenever I can because he is a performer who always puts on a great show, with jokes and humorous banter in between songs, audience interaction like letting them choose which song to play next, or whether to play a song as a slow ballad or fast and noisy. This is from his third album, all of which are different to each other - you can hear the progression over the years – and all are worth hearing. It is a ballad to a large country town in a different state – I guess he liked it on one of his tours – and at the same time a positive empowering simple message of you can do it.

RON B

Bagi-la-m Bargan feat Fred Leone, Birdz

SCREEN

Tove Lo, Mistaken

SHRYKE

The Airborne Toxic Event, Come On Out

Hard words on a hot night
I'll have a beer, won't you turn out the light?
From the front door I could hear it right
I'm just running dumb and dumb and dumb and dumb
I wonder if I'll be turning back
I got twenty bucks in a pocket with my stash
I'm not afraid, not your "good night"
I'm just a shadow of a shadow tonight

Can you believe ATE’s “Sometime Around Midnight” came out thirteen years ago? Well, Mikel Jollett’s voice has only gotten better in that time. There’s a dark, haunting, almost Dave Gahan-ish quality to the vocals in “Come On Out”, showing a visceral vulnerability punctuated by a flurry of chugging guitars and drums. The lyrics, which Jollett wrote when recalling the time he ran away from home when he was 11, drive home the effects of abuse and just how scary the world truly can be for a child.

Album: Hollywood Park
Other great tracks: Hollywood Park, I Don’t Want to Be Here Anymore, True

SIX

The Microphones, Microphones in 2020

Aha, you didn’t think I’d make life easy for you guys, did you? Here’s a song that’s 44 minutes long! Tranny, who had one track longer than mine in the Millennium Countdown, can’t beat this one.

Okay, so it’s an album, but really it’s a single song by Mount Eerie, aka Phil Elverum. He’s had a tough time, with his wife dying of cancer and leaving him to raise their infant daughter, as outlined is heartbreaking honesty in his last few albums. This song is a return to his original band, whose last record was in the early noughts. It’s a song about looking back with nostalgia and love, remarking on his young self, full of passion, anxiety, and wonder. 44 minutes is a long time to dedicate to a song, but if you have the time (and I find its best delved into either late at night when the lights are out or on a journey), let it wash over you.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7BkabF31ak

SURFER

Pozi, The Nightmare

After falling in love following the imaginatively titled PZ1 a couple of years ago, Pozi returned last year with an expanded sound on their EP. Central to this was The Nightmare, which plays with their post-punk aesthetic, bringing in a call and response pop vocal, a bass line Peter Hook would swoon over and anchoring it all is a devastating, wailing, tension filled violin scream. It alls tumbles into a wonderful pop dance number, with Rosa Brook providing addictive whooping to underpin the infectious nature of it all. Who said post-punk was all sad and depressing!

TRANSFORMERS

Run the Jewels, The Ground Below:

Run the Jewels long awaited 4th release was easily their most politically-charged effort thus far, but since they've always been committed to having balance in their music, there were still blasts of pure fun to break up the serious subjects and messages that drive the record. This guitar-driven banger ranks among my favorites of their exercises in unflinching intensity and whirlwind energy.

UNDEADMONKEY

Kacey Musgrave, Rainbow

Had no idea till I looked for the video that this was considered country. Either way, I love this song, it fills me with hope every time I hear it. Who didn't need more hope in 2020

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Post by numbersix »

Glad to be joining in, guys. I have been listening to the last 10 rounds or so, but will be more active from now on.

Banks: Very derivative but still quite enjoyable.
Leetsu: Liked that fuzzy guitar sound. Oz has quite a little scene going on. Many don't break through, sadly. Besides Amyl and the Sniffers, who are pretty popular over here.
Ron: Admirable. Rap is always better when it's not about guns and girls. Shame the music is a little dull.
Surf: Never heard of them. The post-punk vibe and the violin almost sound at odds, but actually that's what makes it work!
Tranny: Great track. Speaking of post-punk, the sample is from Gang of Four's Ether, which is both one of mine and Surf's favourite songs of all time. Used to grea effect here.

Others didn't do much for me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

New playlist, will do a separate one for each roumd now as lots more participants. six's Microphones pick is not on Spotify, unfortunately.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6FU8E ... uJLuq-aa6w

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm sure everyone is disappointed they won't be able to listen to a 44 minute song!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The links to Six's and UDM's videos didn't work, so I added another one for Six that did and fixed UDM's.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
February 4th, 2021, 3:52 pm
I'm sure everyone is disappointed they won't be able to listen to a 44 minute song!
Devastated. I don't know how I'll get through the rest of my day.

BTW, I broke my last good set of headphones yesterday by tripping over the wire one time too many. I'm going to order a replacement wire and see if that does the trick, but until then I might fall behind in my listening. I swear I didn't sabotage my headphones knowing Six was about to join in, unless it was subconciously.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A lot of great songs today!!!

Six: this is amazing, to be able to pull off a 44min album as one song and keep my interest, both musically and lyrically throughout the whole thing is ultra impressive, the story telling is captivating and so open and honest...it's one of my top 10 albums of 2020 but I didn't consider it as a song for the purposes of my top 100 as it's not something I would play repeatedly throughout the year, just every now and again like I would an album

Ron: great song, one of my wife's favourite songs of the year...a catchy earworm and an important message

Banks: ummm...the youtube link is to 24.19 not Algorhythm, which I don't mind as 24.19 is one of my favourites from the album (along with 12.38 & 32.22), but your description sort of fits both songs (more 24.19 though), they both have a huge Prince influence...it's an underrated album, I actually like it more than "Awaken, My Love!", it doesn't have the highs of that album but it's more experimental which I liked

Tranny: I love the album but I think I like every other song on the album more than this one...this and Ooh La La are probably the most disposable songs on the album but Ooh La La is such catchy fun...but that seems to be a common thing with me that my favourites are often different to most others

Surfer: Pozi have been on my radar lately and I will check out their album for sure if/when they release one but nothing has blown me away yet...interesting use of the violin here and I get a bit of a new wave vibe in this song

Shryke: I really liked the autobiographical concept of the album this song is from, sounds like he had an unusual upbringing, I wouldn't mind reading his book...The Common Touch was my favourite from the album and was in consideration for my top 100

John: that was nice and sunshiney, and just when I was starting to have had enough of the song the cool outro hits and retains my interest

UDM: nice positive song

Screen: I can't get into Tove Lo...her singing and songs do nothing for me

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Childish Gambino - I've conspicuously avoided CG up to now. I kind of lump him in with a few other musicians in this neo-R&B/hip-hop fusion that doesn't appeal to me. That being said, this wasn't too objectionable, but I tuned out after the 4 minute mark.

JohnErle, MMJ - Not bad. Very Beatles-esque, from that era when they ditched their pristine suits for multi-colored groovy garb.

Leestu - Peter Bibby - If "yobbo" means "guy I would speed up to avoid if I saw him trying to hitch a ride on the side of the road", then bingo. Musically... I don't know. A little too dissonant for me.

Ron B - Bagi-la-ma-dingdong - Wow. That was different. Been a long time since I've heard a song incorporating aboriginal chanting. And with a didgeridoo, no less! I was less impressed with the rapping.

Screen - Tove Lo - Not bad, but a little too poppy for me.

Six - The Microphones - Sheesh. 44 minutes? You really know how to start a party! Anyway, I got bored after 10 minutes.

Surfer - Pozi - Loved the Peter Hook-ish guitar hook. The dude sounds like the love child of Fred Schneider and Mark Mothersbaugh. The violin part was cool, made even more so when you consider it came from a woman who sounds like Kate Pierson and looks like Arya Stark.

Tranny - RTJ - These guys must have worn out their N.W.A. records growing up. Not for me, but I like that it sounds like a throwback to classic gangsta rap. (Yes, folks, 90s gangsta rap is now "classic". Let THAT sink in.)

UDM - Kacy Musgrave - I considered for a time having "Oh What a World" on my list. It got cut with about a week to go. Good song, lovely voice.

In the interest of full disclosure, here is Childish Gambino's "Algorhtyhm".

Honestly... I like this one a lot better than the one above.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Sorry about that, I sent the wrong song to Shryke. I was trying to decide between the two and kept going back and forth.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

JohnErle - pleasant is the best way I can describe this. Definitely a road trip vibe here

leestu - loved the bassline, I don't know if I'd seek it out but I enjoyed it all the way through

Ron B - feels a bit "local rapper", but wasn't bad at all

Screen - I only know Tove Lo from Talking Bodies but this was nice, I could definitely add this to my pop playlist

Shryke - wasn't my style but I can see the appeal

Six - 45 minutes?! I heard a section around the 22 minute mark that I liked haha

Surfer - felt very 90s

Tran - love RTJ and have a few from RTJ4 on my own list. This isn't one of them, but its good enough

UDM - had tickets to see Kacey in 2020, but of course it didn't happen. I like her faster stuff personally
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: What a roller coaster this proved to be. The vocal effects during the verses annoyed the hell out of me, but the hook and industrial production were both very good.

John: My Morning Jacket continues to deify the rules of the time space continuum. This is so stiff and monotonous that it felt like it was about 18 minutes long.

Leestu: Australia really does some have wild, unique acts :lol: Adding a raw, sludgy atmosphere and some weird spoken word shit to a bluesy ballad was very unexpected. Good stuff.

Ron: Lyrics are strong and impactful, but the rapping itself is pretty average.

Screen: Disposable, filer track that could very well be my least favorite track from Sunshine Kitty.

Shryke: Blah.

Six: Sorry pal, there's just no chance in hell I'm committing 45 minutes to a Microphones song.

Surfer: Well that was slightly annoying, slightly catchy and very, very British.

UDM: Agree with Banks about liking her uptempo stuff more, but Rainbow is still a nice track with an important message.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #29

BANKS

Christine & The Queens, I disappear in your arms

I know she’s pretty huge overseas, but I don’t hear much of Christine & The Queens here in the U.S. Luckily, I found her after “iT” came out a few years ago - and Spotify was smart enough to notify me of this when it released last year. Highly enjoyable pop music.

JOHNERLE

My Morning Jacket, Wasted

I wish they'd go old school like this more often, but I'll take what I can get.

LEESTU

Sly Withers, Cracks

Another local act I’ve watched grow over the last few years that just keep getting better and better.

RON B

flowerkid, miss andry

SCREEN

SHAED, Name On It

SHRYKE

10 Years, The Shift

In a wild lust, we've opened up
A whole new world set to self-destruct
My innocence just seemed to be slipping, slipping
Slipping away

I’ve listen to several of this band’s music over the last few years. I haven’t loved all of it, but a few songs have caught my attention. The dramatic bass rhythm, the pulse-pounding guitars and Jesse Hasek’s earnest voice combine on this track, which I found myself playing repeatedly.

Album: Violent Allies
Other Great Tracks: Without You. Start Again, Say Goodbye

SIX

Yard Act, Fixer Upper

I’m not down with the kids. I still like guitar music! But these lads from Leeds are already hit stuff, selling out their gig in London (if it even goes ahead) but with only 4 songs to their name. This is my favourite, a sort of cross between The Fall, Pulp, and LCD Soundsystem. It’s also one of 3 songs on my list where the amusing lyrics are a major bonus. Here, the singer embodies the I’m-not-racist-but type we call Gammons in the UK, as he develops with pride his second house and insists he comes from the area and is genuine. Love this couplet:

“Got a prosecco o’clock poster half price in Ikea
Goes nicely with the existential fear I feel
When I accidentally stop and wonder
What I’m really doing here, and how long I’ve got left before I’m six feet under”

SURFER

Pottery, Hot Heater

Ploughing down Route 66 with Dr. Gonzo and a bag full of pills to a sleazy motel frequented by reptiles, Pottery carved out quite the impression with their latest record. Embracing disco and the surreal in equal measure, it makes for a hell of a cocktail which will have your slithering tail bouncing. Hot Heater, with its Talking Heads inspired riff and chanting vocals whips up a frenzy and spits you out like a bouncer who has noticed you getting a little too on the touchy feely side of consent. It's a hell of a lot of fun, but you will probably regret it in the morning!

TRANSFORMERS

Kali Uchis, aguradente y limon

Colombian-American singer Kali Uchis released her first predominantly Spanish language project in November and with dreamy tracks like this, she introduced uninitiated people like myself to the many subgenres that exist within the world of Latin music while retaining the beautiful, haunting atmospherics that have made her prior releases so special.

UNDEADMONKEY

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper, I’ll Never Love Again

I didn't get to see A Star is Born till last year and I waited too long. loved it, and listened to the soundtrack nonstop. I think this is my favorite song. Also, Gaga has never been better, i was very disappointed she went back to her weird personas and auto-tuned gargles on her last album.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Christine & The Queens - I'd normally consider songs like this to be too poppy to fit into my wheelhouse, but I really liked this!

JohnErle - MMJ Part Deux - That was old-school. In a mostly good way.

Leestu - Sly Withers - Reminds me of early 2000's grungy rock... haven't quite locked down which band's sound their resemble. Lit, maybe?

Ron B - flowerkid - Very cool.

Screen - SHAED - I liked this! More, I think, then previous offerings by SHAED.

Six - Yard Act - I think I love this.

Surfer - Pottery - Yeah, I got Talking Heads in the first five seconds. Feels more like an homage than a ripoff, so I'll give this a thumbs-up.

Tranny - Kali Uchis - This was quite good. Nothing I'd revisit, but pleasant.

UDM - Inauguration Lady & Rocket Raccoon - Decent. A little sappy, but nothing objectionable here.

Wow! A whole day with nothing I hated! First time????

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It turns out I can still listen as long as I don't jiggle the wire on my headphones too much, so on to the next round.

Algorhythym – I liked the beat, but it lost me once the robotic vocals kicked in, and the Prince impression was too obvious and weak. I'd rather he try to sound like himself.

Peter Bibby – His unique voice is the one thing that stands out because the music isn't very original or distinctive. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I think I'll give it a chance. ADDED

Birdz – I was intrigued by the interesting mix of styles until the weak-ass rapping started.

Tove Lo – Nice 80s synths, but the song doesn't quite come together. Her voice isn't distinctive enough here.

Airborne Toxic Event – I haven't really paid attention since their breakthrough, and their sound doesn't appear to have evolved much, which worries me, but that was pretty solid. ADDED

Ponzi Scheme – Not for me. Too much forced oh-so-indie quirkiness.

RTJ – I was really digging this until I saw Six's comment pointing out that it was based on a recycled riff. I'm always suspicious of hip-hop for that very reason, but in this case I dare say they've improved on the original. Maybe I'm more forgiving now since so much modern music sounds derivative anyway. At least in this case the source material is freely acknowledged, so somebody's getting paid. ADDED

Kacey Musgrave – Generic pop ballad with a generic country/pop singer.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron: love this song...great song writing from someone so young

John: this was a pretty great jam...2 from 2 now so adding the album

Six: loved the lyrics...adding this to my 2020 liked songs playlist and I will look out for more from them

Surfer: are you sure this isn't Talking Heads? :lol:

Shryke: yeah not bad...not unique enough for me to actively seek out but I would rock along if its on

Tranny: this doesn't do much for me, but she does do a good feature every now and then (e.g. 10% by Kaytranada)

Screen: impressive vocals

Banks: I listened to their first 2 albums and didn't like them at all but this song was better...still not my thing but better

UDM: I haven't seen the movie so with no context it's just a dime a dozen movie soundtrack ballad that doesn't move me at all