Top 50 Songs of 2020 (50-41)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (50-41)

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shrykespeare wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 1:23 pm

The Bonfyre, Automatic

I love her voice here. The production is average, but her voice makes up for it tenfold.

Is it me or does this look a lot like Kate Winslet dressed up as a rapper/young'n?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'd also love to join you guys in this list, if you're open to it.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sure thing, Banks!

Email me your picks in the format above (artist, song, description, YouTube link)

The rules are not strict. It's just your favorite songs of last year. They need not necessarily have been on an album that was released last year. If you had never heard the song before 2020, then you can still count it (within reason).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Song 44:

Leestu: Gorillaz, Momentary Bliss - Very different from my previous experience of the band. I too like the guitar at the start and there are some interesting elements to it all, at times having a Clash vibe to it, but overall just didn't really click and will likely be forgotten soon enough as just doesn't rank alongside their best work.

Screen: TBC

Shryke: ONR, Must Stop - Sounds very typical of the music coming out of the UK right now, so doesn't really feel as special as you make it out to be. Muse-esque guitars at the 2 minute mark, and the vocals are ok if unremarkable. Not bad, but unlikely to inspire me to dig any deeper.

Transformers: The Plan - Not really for me, though I appreciate what he has done with the score, adds a real sense of disorientation to the track.

Hauser: Once Upon A Time In The West - Another version of a score! Don't really feel I can judge classical music as I really don't listen to the genre enough to comment other than to say it was pleasant. Has made me want to go back and listen to the Morricone original, however, so maybe that's a good thing!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #43

LEESTU

Tired Lion, Lie To Me

I love seeing a local band live and then watching their career take off. The first time I saw this band live I was having a beer and a chat with the bass player before the gig. I had never met him before, we just happened to be standing next to each other while waiting for the support act to start. Seen them a few times since. Great performers live. This is two minutes of ‘90s retro grungy goodness.

SCREEN

SHRYKE

The Strokes, The Adults Are Talking

Don't go there 'cause you'll never return
I know you think of me when you think of her
But then it don't make sense when you're tryin' hard
To do the right thing but without recompense
And then you did something wrong and you said it was great
And now you don't know how you could ever complain
Because you're all confused 'cause you want me to
But then you want me to do it the same way as you

By far my favorite Strokes song ever. I like the steady rhythms punctuated by Juan Casablancas’ terrific vocals. I definitely get Cure vibes from this song, and I can’t help but hear a little Ric Ocasek doing a classic Cars song in the final minute.

Album: The New Abnormal
Other great tracks: Bad Decisions, At the Door, Ode to the Mets

SURFER

Waxahatchee, Lilacs

After the tumultuous, aggressive Out In The Storm, a record wrought with pain, Katie Crutchfield obviously needed some healing. Quitting drinking and drugs, Crutchfield embraced her Alabama roots and crafted music inspired by the likes of Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams. The earthier sound perfectly complemented her husky vocals, and with second single Lilacs she found a means to deal with the pain of the past. The song glows gorgeously in a sun-kissed instrumental, and Crutchfield seems to find recovery through self-examination of her past mistakes. It makes for a cathartic listen, and one which finds Waxahatchee embrace the future.

TRANSFORMERS

Doja Cat, Boss Bitch

Around the same time her 2019 disco pop track “Say So” was starting to climb up the charts, rapper/singer Doja Cat further proved her increasingly impressive versatility by dropping a bouncy hip house track that appeared on the Birds of Prey soundtrack that features some of the tightest, technically sound rapping she's dropped to date. Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't give Cathy Yan and the music department on Birds of Prey props for finding the perfect scene in the movie for the track to accompany.

UNDEADMONKEY

Avril Lavigne, We Are Warriors

I was never a huge fan of Avril Lavigne but I do have this moment that sticks in my memory. Was 13, first time I stayed home alone for the weekend, parents left at like 6 in the morning and I couldn't go back to sleep. So I watched mtv like a rebellious teenager and top 20 or something was on and 'I'm with you' came on and it just resonated with me at that moment. It always brings me back. And and in a similar way this song was kind of my anthem of 2020.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

45 - I enjoyed the Joji and Adrienne Lenker songs. I can't do Taylor Swift, her evolutions seem extremely fake to me, she like a pokemon.

44 - couldnt get behind any of these.

43 - I almost enjoyed all of these, Lilacs and the adults are talking where both cathartic in their own way. Boss Bitch would have made my list if i had done a top 60.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen's #44.

Lady Gaga, Alice

While I am not huge on her new album, I do think that it has moments of brilliance (one coming soon).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu - Never heard of Tired Lion. (Maybe they should do a concert with Tame Impala and Black Pumas?) I love the retro grunginess. Again, my mind goes right to Kim Deal and Tonya Donnelly, which is a good thing.

Surfer - Pretty sure I've heard this before. Was meh on it before, meh on it now.

Tranny - Not my thing.

UDM - Never got into Avril. This was just okay for me.

Screen - She was great at the Inauguration. Here... jury's still out.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hey guys

I'm just sorting my list now, prob only got a top 30, seen one of mine appear here so far. But strange to see no numbersix here...
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 43

Leestu:
Tired Lion, Lie To Me - To be honest, it was pretty forgettable. Didn't really have a hook to speak of, the vocals could have literally been anyone from the past 20 years and it just felt like a tired retread of what had been done many, many times before. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, the live setting or your personal relationship with the band, but unfortunately this did nothing for me.

Screen:
Lady Gaga, Alice - Can imagine this goes down very well in a club, if any were open right now, but I'm way too old for that kind of stuff anyway! Nothing really stood out considering Gaga is a pop star renowned for breaking the mould, that vocal solo mid song was horrible, mind.

Shryke:
The Strokes, The Adults Are Talking - I had a lot of trepidation about the return of one of the bands of my youth diminishing my memories of their first couple of records, as their last record wasn't that great. However, while it was not the all out return to form, it was still very decent, with this being an obvious standout. Such a great guitar line and I love Casablancas vocals, this is the real strong point of the band now. The maturity of his singing, how he has adapted his style is a great lesson to ageing vocalists. Good stuff.

Transformers:
Dona Cat, Boss Bitch - Not gonna lie, while this is usually as far from my style as possible, this was cool. Great beat and vocals had a real punch.

Undeadmonkey:
Avril Lavigne, We Are Warriors - Take the punky attitude away and Lavigne could literally be any pop star around, and this song emphasises this perfectly. I mean, strings AND piano! Nice that you take something positive from the song, but just not for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen's #43.

Meg Myers, Any Way You Wanna Love

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #42

LEESTU

Enola Gay, The Birth Of A Nation

I know hardly anything about this band apart from that they are from Belfast and this seems to be the only song they have released. I found this thanks to the spotify algorithm actually working well and recommending it to me. A fusion of post-punk, noise rock, and industrial rock. Quite a powerful song and video, even down to the choice of song title and band name.

SCREEN

Lady Gaga, Stupid Love

SHRYKE

Neon Trees, New Best Friend

And I sing, "Oh"
Oh, stacking up my house of cards
Gonna watch 'em as they fall apart
Rollin' on the floor
In the candy store
They call me crazy
But crazy's my new best (friend)

From the great state of Utah comes Neon Trees, whose fourth album (their first after ostensibly breaking up), I Can Feel You Forgetting Me, is pretty darn solid, and less poppy than their first few records. Tyler Glenn’s voice drapes well over the guitars and synths, and if I’m being honest, if this is their new direction, I like where they’re going.

Album: I Can Feel You Forgetting Me
Other great tracks: Nights, Used to Like, Everything is Killing Me

SURFER

Black Country, New Road, Science Fair

Science Fair is the perfect introduction to the intense sound of the now almost mystical BCNR, a band of little physical output but much attention. From the moment a mix of squalling guitars begin going head to head with viola and sax loops to create a richly textured backdrop for Wood to vent, you know you are in for something quite special. Isaac Wood’s sprawling lyrical style captivates, building tension and atmosphere until the song's concluson with him proclaiming "it's black country out there!" The band finally release their first record after two years next month, and the anticipation created by this song is tantalising.

TRANSFORMERS

LIl Baby, The Bigger Picture

ETA: Sorry, Tranny. I goofed when posting #41 by hitting edit instead of quote. I was able to rebuild, but I can't find the email that included your description. :(

UNDEADMONKEY

Alexander 23, IDK You Yet

Really enjoy this tune. Its simple and puts me at ease.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#43.

Screen - I like Meg, but this didn't do much for me.

#42.

Leestu - Pretty good, but not something I'd return to.

Screen - Gaga has to kill it on a track for me to love it, and that didn't happen here.

Surfer - Didn't like this. Felt like it kept building up to something that never happened.

Tranny - Not a fan of the genre, but I admire the social consciousness that went into this.

UDM - Simple can sometimes be the best. I have a few of those. This was very good.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

There wasnt much for me in 42. I did like the Neon Trees song, would definitely listen again. I'm annoyed at Gaga, spoiler but i have a song of hers on the list that is a few years old, but i hadn't seen the movie till 2020. and now she goes back to this electropop, and it's not even very good

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 42

Leestu:
Enola Gay, The Birth Of A Nation - Expected as much with the title but this was a powerful song. Not heard of them before but will check out their stuff.

Screen:
Lady Gaga, Stupid Love - Was the Lady Gaga record so good last year to deserve two songs on our countdown thus far? This is better than the last one, but the bar was set pretty low.

Shryke:
Neon Trees, New Best Friend - Massively over produced and didn't really have a hook at all, just passed me by leaving no impression.

Transformers:
Lil Baby, The Bigger Picture - Wasn't really a fan of the vocals, but the lyrics had an impact and the piano in the background had a nice rhythm to it that kept in my head for a little while.

Undeadmonkey:
Alexander23, IDK You Yet - Sounda very familiar, though as I don't listen to commercial radio it's unlikely I do know it. Maybe it reminds me of early Bon Iver or that style, and I can imagine with the lyrics this song will go down a treat at weddings.