Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - THE #1s

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - THE #1s

Post by transformers2 »

Leestu: Car Seat Headrest doesn't mesh with my tastes at all and this song was absolutely no exception. That shit DRAGGED.

Another very eclectic list, however unlike Ron's, yours had huge quality swings along the way. For every System of a Down, Tame Impala or Idles entry that I loved, there was an LCD Soundsystem, Car Seat Headrest or Wombats cut that went down like battery acid covered in razorblades. Ironically, you and Ron also shared the lone crossover with my list in "Ms. Jackson".

Despite those swings, you do hold the honor of having the most of my favorite discoveries of the countdown. Pond, The Drones and the non-Infest the Rats' Nest King Gizzard (particularly Nuclear Fusion) were all exceptional tracks that I've already revisited.

Top Song: "Ms. Jackson"-Outkast
Top Discovery: Nuclear Fusion-King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard
Top Re-Discovery: On GP-Death Grips
Other Standouts: "Chop Suey!"-System of a Down, "Let it Happen"-Tame Impala, "Elephant"-Tame Impala", "Colossus"-Idles, "Paper Planes"-M.I.A., "Seven Nation Army"-The White Stripes, "Self-Immolate"-King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, "Giant Tortoise"-Pond, "Shark Fin Blues"-The Drones
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

RonB – Two Words: Frontier Psychiatrist. Thank you so much for reminding me of that sublimely silly song. And anyone who can post Cherry Blossom Girl and 50 Cent so close to each other is alright in my book, even if I'd never listen to 50 Cent. I think DJ Shadow at #3 was your only ADDED, but you had a quite a few songs that just missed my list, like Time To Pretend and Midnight City, and some common artists as well like Bloc Party and TV On The Radio.

Leestu – I will be forever grateful to you for instituting a one song per album rule because I don't think I could have stomached that much Car Seat Headrest in one week in these troubling times. That might have been enough to push me over the edge into hopelessness and despair. I've commented on CSH enough by now that I'll simply say they ain't for me and never will be.

Like RonB, your list as a whole was often hard to predict, and not just because of all the Australian bands I'd never heard of. Many times it sounded like you were tapping into Six and Surfer's shared brain with all the Pitchfork-approved indie rock but then along came My Chemical Romance and Green Day and other surprises. You had a few songs I despised, but also some of the best new-to-me songs of the countdown, namely Camp Cope, Sorority Noise, and Pond, who I plan to explore more fully. NSpan may have had more ADDEDs that I think might grow on me, but you probably had the most songs that grabbed me immediately and got insta-ADDED.

Geezer – Despite all the grief you received, I'm glad you were here to share your top 100 songs from your top 8 artists. ;-) I think I've heard enough pop-punk, punk-pop, pub-rock, pub-punk, and pop-pub-punk to last me until the next millennium, so despite the repetitive comments about your seemingly repetitive picks, there were a few artists and songs that stood out. Against Me! is clearly a cut above the norm, even if their early sound doesn't thrill me, while Frank Turner and The Gaslight Anthem also had their moments. I often enjoyed your comments about how much the songs meant to you more than the songs themselves, and that goes for your #1 as well. You've said many times that your favourite bands sound better live, and that wouldn't surprise me at all, because I hated the production values on your #1.

Screen – Your list was probably the hardest for me to critique because our tastes are so different. In my younger days I listened to a lot of rock, metal, punk, and nearly every sub-genre imaginable, so my reaction to a lot of the other guys' rock-oriented picks was “been there, done that”, but with your list it was more like “never been there, never going to do that.” Pop divas have never interested me, so you might as well be playing me 17th Century Bulgarian Opera. Still, you managed a few ADDEDs along the way. La Roux had a nice 80s vibe, and I don't have your full list in front of me but I'm pretty sure Ingrid Michaelson was yours as well.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

You've said many times that your favourite bands sound better live, and that wouldn't surprise me at all, because I hated the production values on your #1.
Well I DID give you three different versions!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Geezer: Middle East Downstairs is my favorite venue in our state. For everybody else, The Middle East Downstairs is a sub-600 capacity venue located in the basement of a relatively large restaurant/venue complex in a city that directly borders Boston. I've always joked with my friends that it must've have some kind of divine blessing because the shows there tend to be loud, rowdy and fun as all hell. I'll be devastated if that glorious dump ends up being a causality of COVID-19.

Moving on... You theorized throughout the countdown that I'd hate your picks. That wasn't the case at all. In fact, you probably had the smallest number of tracks that I loathed from the entire group (all of the Modern Baseball songs and that lone Streetlight Manifesto were the guilty parties). The problem is that your emotional, mid-paced punk/pop punk wheelhouse largely contains artists that I have no problem listening to in passing, but would never seek out on my own time. I've even seen a couple of those artists (Against Me!, The Menzingers) live and still found to be merely pleasant diversion. Don't get it twisted, I understand the appeal and admire the passion of these acts and their fans, they just fall into this weird "not fast enough to be straight punk and not poppy enough to be pure pop punk middle ground that fails to get me super enthused.

Now let's talk positives! The more vintage pop punk cuts is where we overlap on the genre,particularly with " A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More "Touch Me" and "Fat Lip"-which are a couple of my favorite tracks that have ever come out of the genre. You also share my take that Deer Dance is the best song from Toxicity, which is great because I was starting to think I was completely on an island with that one. And I'd have to give up my Massachusetts residency if I finished up without mentioning that the Dropkick Murphys are great and that all of the tracks you selected rule.

Top Track: "Deer Dance"-System of a Down
Top Discovery: Lucero in general (I know they appeared on your past list, but I'd had completely forgotten about them and was in a hardo phase where I completely hated anything that was even remotely country 10 years ago).
Top Re-Discovery: "Passing Through a Screen Door"-The Wonder Years
Other Standouts: "Toxicity"-System of a Down, "Chop Suey!"-System of a Down, "A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"-Fall Out Boy, "Fat Lip"-Sum 41, "The Warrior's Code"-Dropkick Murphys, "The Dirty Glass"-Dropkick Murphys, "Captain Kelley's Kitchen"-Dropkick Murphys, "Wake Up"-Arcade Fire

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Man, I love the Middle East too. Lots of great memories from that place, obviously including the night I referenced. Haven't been there in a few years though, seems like they haven't gotten the type of acts the used to lately. I've noticed more bands shifting over to the Sinclair, which is fine, but you don't get that same "basement show" quality that leads to a really special atmosphere.

You're description of how you felt about my songs is actually pretty spot on for how I figured you'd feel. Enjoyable, but not mind blowing. I never really thought you'd hate it.

Deer Dance is so fucking good and obviously still SO DAMN RELEVANT. Right on, brother.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Geezer wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 10:02 pm
Man, I love the Middle East too. Lots of great memories from that place, obviously including the night I referenced. Haven't been there in a few years though, seems like they haven't gotten the type of acts the used to lately. I've noticed more bands shifting over to the Sinclair, which is fine, but you don't get that same "basement show" quality that leads to a really special atmosphere.
For sure. I've only been there twice since the spring of 2017 and both of those shows occurred in the past 8 months. The Sinclair is obviously a newer and "nicer" in the same area with a near identical capacity, but like you said, it just doesn't have that same scuzzy, sweaty, intimate atmosphere that makes the Middle East so special.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I apologize for not being on here more. I'm not sure if I can give a full critique of all of these songs, but I will try. I really liked Iceage. Also nice to see M.I.A. on so many lists! And Modest Mouse seems to be the only artist to have a song on everyone's list ;)
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Lee and Stu, and the other 2. What a list mate, so much stuff I recognized and already liked- and then plenty of new material as well- including your no. 1, im listening to it for the 5th time in a row now. I think i liked your list the best overall - so thanks for participating - one day we may even get to see a great Perth band together! (Would like to see Pond or Tame Impala)

Also gotta mention the fact i think you were the only other to choose Tool (my friends fav band- he caught them live just before the pandemic hit). You and your family clearly have great taste and your passion for music might even eclipse my love for sports.

Thanks champ!

Highlights for me were:
#92 The Vines-Get Free XO!
#85 Groudplove-Borderlines and Aliens
#82 Tame Impala-Elephant
#81 Outkast-Ms. Jackson XO!
#77 Foals-What Went Down
#76 Josh Pyke-Middle of the Hill
#73 Children Collide-Farewell Rocket Ship
#57 The Wombats-Let's Dance to Joy Division
#42 Kaiser Chiefs-Never Miss A Beat
#36 Tool-Schism T150
#32 System of a Down-Chop Suey!
#31 The White Stripes-Seven Nation Army XO!
#30 Rufus-Innerbloom XO!
#14 Violent Soho-Covered in Chrome XO!
#12 My Chemical Romance-Welcome to the Black Parade T150
#9 Silversun Pickups-Lazy Eye T150
#2 Tame Impala-Let It Happen XO!
#1 Car Seat Headrest-Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on June 9th, 2020, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Thanks everyone for the positive comments on my list. I knew with my varied taste that there were would be large parts of my list that didn't appeal to everyone, but I also guessed/hoped (mostly correctly I think) that that same varied taste would mean everyone would find something there that they liked, and at least keep things unpredictably interesting...and as long as everyone found a couple of new songs/artists that they like than I'm happy.
numbersix wrote:
June 7th, 2020, 6:14 pm
As for your #1, it makes complete sense to me. I remember you being outraged that Teens of Denial wasn't higher up on my Top 10 of 2016. So I was wondering where all the CSH songs were. What do you think of their new record?
I hope that outrage was tongue in cheek...at least that's how I remember it. As to their new album, thanks for asking Six. I tried to approach the initial listen with an open mind, not as a biased stan, but at first I thought it was great album...maybe I was just happy to finally have some all new material, the first since 2016's Teens Of Denial (apart from the stand alone singe War Is Coming (If You Want It))...but after a couple of listens I've realised I am actually a bit disappointed. I do like that he's tried something different with an album that doesn't sound anything like what's come before, instead of playing it safe, experimenting with synths and electronica (although he has used synths a bit before in his earlier work, but more in a lo-fi way, and not this dance/EDM way). But lyrically there is nothing special here, which has always been one of his strong points, and I miss his longer songs that went to different places within the song. There Must Be More Than Blood is the closest he comes to this, and is one of the best songs on the album. The great vocals are still mostly there though. The first single, Can't Cool Me Down has really grown on me over time, and is my favourite from the album, whereas Martin I like less the more I hear it. It ends just when it starts to get interesting. I don't get the dislike for Hollywood though. Yes the lyrics are a bit trite, but those punky riffs and the upbeat energy are so likable. What's With You Lately is very good too, probably the most traditional CSH song on the album, but it's too short and feels a bit unfinished. I also quite like the two experimental electronic songs of Hymn (Remix), and even more so Famous, which has some very interesting sounds. But overall it's a little bit of an eclectic, all over the place album. Don't get me wrong though. I still think it's a very good album, that I enjoy listening too, and a top 5 album for the year as of now, just the least best of the ten CSH albums I've heard (I stilll haven't heard 1, 2, 3, 4, and Disjecta Membra as they are not on streaming services), and I would only recommend it to fans, not the casual listener. Just for clarification I've only listened to the streaming version, not the vinyl or digital version, which both have a slightly different track listing order, and a couple of different versions of one of the songs.
The new Run The Jewels album is great though!!!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 6:33 am
Lee and Stu, and the other 2. What a list mate, so much stuff I recognised and already liked- and then plenty of new material as well- including your no. 1, im listening to it for the 5th time in a row now. I think i liked your list the best overall - so thanks for participating - one day we may even get to see a great Perth band together! (Would like to see Pond or Tame Impala)
I would love that. I had tickets to see Pond and Children Collide together which are still valid for when they reschedule. I'll let you know for sure if you are interested.

I loved your chart as well. Appreciated the variety of styles and genres. So many songs and artists I love. 6 songs in common, another couple of artists in common, and a handful of songs that were in consideration and just missed out (Where's Your Head At, Take Me Out, I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor, & The Pot). You could say that comes from listening to the same radio station (I listen to Triple J all day at work Monday to Friday 7.30am to 3.30pm, & at home I listen to RTRFM to get all the local, weirder, and more obscure artists), but it's probably just because you have great taste! So many other highlights from your list, Bluejuice,DMA's, Hilltop Hoods, Rex Orange County, Chemical Brothers, TV On The Radio, Childish Gambino to name a few, and an awesome top 9 to finish.
As to your number one I think it's a great choice. I love early Eminem, and especially love angry Eminem. Cleaning Out My Closet is one of my favourites because of the spite and anger.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Geezer wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 8:29 pm
You've said many times that your favourite bands sound better live, and that wouldn't surprise me at all, because I hated the production values on your #1.
Well I DID give you three different versions!
Yeah, but a live YouTube video is something I'll never watch more than once, so it's not a good way for me to judge a song.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Screen: Poker Face is a nice and fitting conclusion to your list. Even thinking about it after hearing the singles from Chromatica is kind of depressing because whatever fun existed in Gaga's music is pretty much completely gone at this point.

Your focus on modern pop and R&B made your list standout. Getting a burst of sunshine in between somber indie cuts was a much-needed pick me up (except when it was Adele, Alanis or "Hideaway" then it just added to the misery ;) ). As for the songs themselves, we share several favorites including most notably "Yellow Flicker Beat", "West Coast", "Kiss It Better" and the Swedish synthpop queen herself Tove Lo. Being exposed to stuff like "Woo", "Sweet Nothing" and "Aquarius"-era Tinashe again was also great. Outside of the pop/R&B sphere, the introduction to more of Chelsea Wolfe's shit was much appreciated and the inclusion of the criminally underrated "Nightcrawler" by Travis Scott brought a massive smile to my face. You've got good taste kid, don't let these jaded geriatrics tell you otherwise ;).

Top Track: "Nightcrawler"-Travis Scott feat. Swae Lee and Chief Keef
Top Discovery: "Iron Moon"-Chelsea Wolfe
Top Re-Discovery: "Woo"-Rihanna feat. Travis Scott
Other Standouts: "West Coast"-Lana Del Rey, "Cool Girl"-Tove Lo, "True Disaster"-Tove Lo, "Yellow Flicker Beat"-Lorde, "Kiss it Better"-Rihanna, "Paper Planes"-M.I.A. "Magnets"-Disclosure feat. Lorde, "Sweet Nothing"-Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch, "Telephone"-Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

transformers2 wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 11:21 am
don't let these jaded geriatrics tell you otherwise ;).
You do realize your #1 is due today, right? *cracks knuckles* ;)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Before I move onto my #1, I have to take a moment to thank Shryke for putting this together. You truly are a mensch for taking on such a huge undertaking so eagerly and subsequently handling everything that came with it so gracefully.

I'd also like to thank the rest of you lovely people for participating in this madness. The whole process was a blast and it was awesome to have the boards be flooded with so much activity/amusing banter over the past several months. You also deserve medals for having to deal with the high volume of extreme musical offerings that crushed your spirit like the appearance of a jury duty summons in the mailbox at the end of every listening session.

Now, buckle up gents and thank your lucky stars that this will be the last time you'll have to be haunted by auditory demons for quite some time.

#1: Between the Buried and Me-Selkies: The Endless Obsession (2005)

(Note: All of the screaming save for a stray "BEFORE WE DIE" following the vocoder section that directly proceeds this Satan-happy section takes place from 1:43-3:08)
Between the Buried and Me's first two efforts were full of raw potential that hadn't been fully realized. The quality of the musicianship was apparent and there were real flashes of brilliance, but it was clear that they were a very young band that just hadn't found their sound yet. Then something magical happened. Founding members vocalist/keyboardist Tommy Rodgers and lead guitarist Paul Waggoner filled the group's latest mass member exodus (9 members left the band from the time of their formation in 2000 through the end of 2004) with rhythm guitarist Dustie Waring, bassist Dan Briggs and drummer Blake Richardson in late 2004/early 2005 prior to commencing the writing process for their third LP Alaska. This newly-added trio served as an immediate elixir for all their ailments. The tempo changes began to feel natural, understated flourishes of atmosphere entered the equation and most importantly, they established a defined sound that seamlessly combined the weird beauty of prog, the crushing power of death metal and the energy of metalcore to make something completely unique. Alaska saw this band become a unit and it's hard to imagine they ever would've blossomed such a force if this lineup, which still remains in tact today, wasn't ever assembled.

"Selkies" distills everything I love about this band into 7:23. It combines suffocating chaos with enchanting weirdness and sublime beauty in a singularly stunning way. The second half of this track in particular, when Rodgers' soft singing transitions into a serine instrumental conclusion that is capped off by a euphoric guitar solo from Waggoner, is sincerely the most beautiful, awe-inspiring section of music I've ever heard. Even roughly 15 years after its release, "Selkies" gives me the type of full body tingle upon every listen that only an all time favorite can.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Transformers' Top 100 Songs of the Millennium:
SPECIAL BONUS: 5 SHOUTY DEMON SONGS THAT WERE CUT OUT OF CONSIDERATION FOR YOUR COLLECTIVE EARS/WELLBEING:
The Black Dahlia Murder-Miasma
Dying Fetus-Praise the Lord (Opium of the Masses)
Revocation-Chaos of Forms
Skeletonwitch-Upon Wings of Black
Skeletonwitch-Within My Blood

Last 5 Cuts:
105.Tove Lo-My Gun
104.Children of Bodom-Triple Corpse Hammerblow
103.Travis Scott-ASTROTHUNDER
102.Coheed and Cambria-Gravemakers & Gunslingers
101.Every Time I Die-Wanderlust

100.Madvillian-Rhinestone Cowboy
99.Animals as Leaders-Another Year
98.Lorde-Buzzcut Season
97.ScHoolboy Q-Collard Greens (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
96.Amon Amarth-Under the Northern Star
95.FKA twigs-Figure 8
94.Periphery-Have a Blast
93.Coheed and Cambria-The Dark Sentencer
92.Born of Osiris-Recreate
91.Dance Gavin Dance-Stroke God, Millionaire

90.The White Stripes-Black Math
89.Sturgill Simpson-All Around You
88.Drake-Hold On, We're Going Home
87.Intronaut-Fast Worms
86.Kendrick Lamar-Rigamortis
85.Battlecross-Push Pull Destroy
84.Between the Buried and Me-Bloom
83.Run the Jewels-Oh My Darling Don't Cry
82.Protest the Hero-Drumhead Trial
81.August Burns Red-Broken Promises

80.System of a Down-Needles
79.Deftones-Knife Prty
78.MF Doom-Hoe Cakes
77.Thank You Scientist-In the Company of Worms
76.Banks-Gemini Feed
75.Linkin Park-Papercut
74.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Baby's First Coffin
73.Clutch-Cypress Grove
72.Denzel Curry-Black Balloons (feat. Twelve'len and GoldLink)
71.Kali Uchis-Tyrant (feat. Jorja Smith)

70.Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the Flow
69.Behemoth-Daimonos
68.Vince Staples-Big Fish (feat. Juicy J)
67.Every Time I Die-Partying is Such Sweet Sorrow
66.Lana Del Rey-California
65.Converge-Dark Horse
64.The Weeknd-House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls
63.Freddie Gibbs & Madlib-Harold's
62.Revocation-Pestilence Reigns
61.Ariana Grande-Into You

60.Deftones-You've Seen the Butcher
59.Gojira-Backbone
58.My Chemical Romance-Helena
57.The Dillinger Escape Plan-One of Us is the Killer
56.Between the Buried and Me-White Walls
55.letlive.-Renegade '86
54.Run the Jewels-Sea Legs
53.SZA-Prom
52.Unearth-Crow Killer
51.Fallujah-Starlit Path

50.Outkast-Ms. Jackson
49.Danny Brown-XXX
48.Death Grips-I've Seen Footage
47.After the Burial-Drifts
46.Kanye West-Black Skinhead
45.Kvelertak-Blodtorst
44.Coheed and Cambria-The Crowing
43.Mastodon-Sleeping Giant
42.Frank Ocean-Bad Religion
41.Young Thug and Travis Scott-Pick Up the Phone (feat. Quavo)

40.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Black Bubblegum
39.The Mars Volta-Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
38.Protest the Hero-Blindfolds Aside
37.Rivers of Nihil-A Home
36.Killswitch Engage-The Element of One
35.Vince Staples-Norf Norf
34.Fallujah-Adrenaline
33.In Flames-Bullet Ride
32.The Faceless-Legion of the Serpent
31.Revocation-Scorched Earth Policy

30.Between the Buried and Me-Prequel to the Sequel
29.Lana Del Rey-Ride
28.Children of Bodom-Kissing the Shadows
27.After the Burial-Berzerker
26.Coheed and Cambria-Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)
25.Kendrick Lamar-m.A.A.d city
24.Protest the Hero-C'est La Vie
23.Death Grips-The Fever (Aye Aye)
22.The Black Dahlia Murder-What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
21.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Crossburner

20.Run the Jewels-All Due Respect (feat. Travis Barker)
19.Machine Head-Halo
18.letlive.-Homeless Jazz
17.Kendrick Lamar-Wesley's Theory
16.The Weeknd-The Morning
15.Lana Del Rey-Blue Jeans
14.The Faceless-Sons of Belial
13.Frank Ocean-Pyramids
12.Darkest Hour-Doomsayer (The Beginning of the End)
11.Fallujah-The Dead Sea

10.Mastodon-The Czar
9.Danny Brown-Ain't it Funny
8.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Farewell, Mona Lisa
7.The Black Dahlia Murder-A Shrine to Madness
6.System of a Down-Deer Dance
5.Mastodon-The Wolf is Loose
4.Between the Buried and Me-Disease, Injury, Madness
3.Mastodon-Iron Tusk
2.Coheed and Cambria-In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
1.Between the Buried and Me-Selkies: The Endless Obsession