Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Jimmy Eat World, Hear You Me
John used the word polished, and it seems like the right one to me. It's very listenable, but it's too polished.

John, The Tragically Hip, My Music At Work
Meh. Nothing really special for me.

Leestu, Silversun Pickups, Lazy Eye
I like the intro, but the whole song sound so bland to me, I had never heard it before it appeared already in the countdown, but I had to play it again because I had completely forgotten it.

NSpan, XTC, I'm the Man Who Murdered Love
It's pretty nice. There's a fun side to it, but it's a bit to formulaic to me.

Ron, Daft Punk, Robot Rock
Always happy to listen to some Daft Punk. Funky. Nice. I can understand the headache problem mentioned by Six though :lol:

Screen, Adele, Rolling In The Deep
I haven't listened to much Adele beyond Someone Like You, but this one is nice too, yes.

Shyrke, Korn, Here To Stay
My girlfriend loves your choice. Me, not so much ! ;)

Six, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps
Really ? Again ? And this high ? I found it cute the first time, but now all the love seems excessive to me. It's a nice little ballad with a few nice sounds, but there must be something in the lyrics I don't get, otherwise I don't know.

Surfer, Queens Of The Stone Age, Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret
Never been a fan of QOTSA. This one ain't bad honestly, there is something cool in it.

Tranny, Danny Brown, Ain't It Funny
I guess it's better than your hrdcore metal choices, but it's still not something I'm into.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 9 thoughts

Chien, Benjamin Biolay - Even discounting the French language and lyrics, it just sounds like a stereotypical French song, which I think I have ascertained by now, is not for me.

Geezer, Jimmy Eat World - It seems the only Jimmy Eat World songs you like are the softer ones, and while in that respect this is one of the better ones, I much prefer when they are a bit rockier. Especially so on their debut and Clarity, but even this album I would take almost every song over this. Especially so A Praise Chorus, Get It Faster, Bleed American and The Sweetness.

JohnErle, The Tragically Hip - Just throwing it out there, but vocally he reminded me a little of Michael Stipe, and this could have been an R.E.M b-side. I enjoyed it, much more so than the last song of theirs you posted.

Leestu, Silversun Pickups - Need to listen to this album again, great stuff.

Nspan, XTC - I thought I was unfamiliar with 21st century XTC, but within a couple of bars I recalled this great song. Vocals still sound awesome and has a great hook. Thanks for reminding me of this great band.

Ron, Daft Punk - Man, this could have literally been a 30 second song, it goes nowhere after that initial hook. Not one of their better songs in my opinion.

Screen, Adele - Better than the slower stuff, but her albums are so overplayed by middle aged mums I don't think I could ever want to hear her again.

Shryke, Korn - Will never be a fan of Korn, cool or not. Their sound and vocal style just don't appeal in the slightest.

Six, Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Great to see it appear again, suspected it was only a matter of time for your countdown. And didn't know the story of the tear, really adds a little extra to an already great video.

Tranny, Danny Brown - His delivery is certainly more intriguing, direct and abrasive than many of his contemporaries in the genre, just not sure it is at all for me!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:37 pm
Round 9 thoughts
Geezer, Jimmy Eat World - It seems the only Jimmy Eat World songs you like are the softer ones, and while in that respect this is one of the better ones, I much prefer when they are a bit rockier. Especially so on their debut and Clarity, but even this album I would take almost every song over this. Especially so A Praise Chorus, Get It Faster, Bleed American and The Sweetness.
Just wanted to say this is false. I absolutely love their rockier stuff. The Sweetness and the Middle were both in my 101-150. I love all the songs you listed. Clarity and Static Prevails, while I don't love them as much as Bleed American and Futures, obviously couldn't be considered for this list, but I do still love them. They are one of my absolute favorite bands. The slow ones just tend to be more meaningful to me personally, so they rank higher.

And what the hell is wrong with being polished anyway?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan - I'm the Man Who Murdered Love - I love everything XTC. I'm kicking myself for not reviewing their albums during my music blitz. 8.5/10

Ron B - Robot Rock - Would I be out of line in calling Daft Punk the modern-day Kraftwerk? No headaches here! 7.5/10

Geezer - Hear You Me - Really great song. Love a lot of Jimmy's stuff. Though understated, it's a great song. 7.5/10

Leestu - Lazy Eye - Hey! It's the Pumping Smashkins!! :lol: Anyway, like it. 7/10

Six - Maps - I'll forego the Chrissy Hynde comparison yet again and just say it's a cool song. OK? 7/10

Surfer - The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret - Love that Compression!!! (that oughta get JohnErle riled up). Good song. 6.5/10

Chien - Ton Heritage - More French than Toast and Fries put together. (ducking) 6/10

JohnErle - My Music at Work - Could this song have sounded any more like 90's REM? No it could not. 6/10

Tranny - Ain't it Funny - Not sure how I feel about this song. I went from liking it to hating it and back again several times. Quit messing with my brain! 6/10

Screen - Rolling In the Deep - Not surprised at all. This is one of those songs I've heard way too many times. 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Sufjan Stevens, Mystery of Love (2017)

There are so many Sufjan Stevens songs I love, it’s like The National, sometimes I prefer one song, 6 months later I’m more into this other song. When “Call me by your name” was released, I listened to this song so much, and even though it faded a bit for a while, one day it came back strong. This is actually the only “cinema related” song of my Top 10, even though you know how I love those film related songs. Mostly because when you listen to a song in a foreign language, there is a barrier that cinema can help you break, because it gives a meaning to the song you may not have gotten without it.

Anyway. This has been my favourite Sufjan Stevens songs lately. It may not last. It probably won’t. But it’s clarity, its purity, its melancholy has me fascinated every time I listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQT32vW61eI

GEEZER

Lucero, Here at the Starlite (2002)

I'll be up front with you, you are getting back to back songs by the same artist here. At least they are really different from each other. I thought for a very long time about which of these Lucero songs are actually my favorite, and I honestly can't pick. Basically they are tied, but for the list, one had to go on top so I flipped a coin. The one that "lost" is Here at the Starlite. I love the pain in Ben's voice, something he does so well. I love the story he tells, also a transcendent talent of his. But it's the guitar that truly makes this song special. This is definitely my favorite guitar song of the last twenty years.

I've seen this band ten times. The most recent was back in December. It was a show I really didn't even want to go to. I work for the Post Office, December fucking sucks. It was a late Saturday show, I had worked all day (and all week for that matter) and I didn't want to drive into Boston, but I did it anyway, because I had tickets and I freaking love this band. It was their third night of a three night stint in Boston because they love playing here and like keeping their venues really small and intimate. I am so glad I ended up going, because even though it took until the very last song of the encore of a 2 and a half hour set of the 10th time I saw them, I FINALLY got to hear them play THIS SONG. The whole show was great, but that moment just made me feel so lucky that I was there and reminded me why I keep going to live shows even when my body feels like it is going to collapse. And they fucking KILLED it.

JOHNERLE

William Shatner - Common People (2004)

If you feel strange listening to this, try to think of it as a Ben Folds song where Shatner just showed up and did what he was told. I'm pretty sure Folds loved the irony of the thoroughly uncommon William Shatner narrating this ode to common people. And when there's real singing required that's New Wave legend Joe Jackson belting it out like it's still 1979. Even without the awesome fan-made video, this song is a blast.

Also: Garbageman, I Can't Get Behind That (with Henry Rollins)

LEESTU

Pond, Giant Tortoise (2013)

A great mix of dreamy neo-psychedelia and in your face psych rock that is a blast to experience live. I have probably seen Pond live more times than any other band, and this song is always a highlight for me.

NSPAN

Band of Skulls, Love is All You Love (2019)

From their grungy/bluesy roots, the trio behind Band of Skulls continue to evolve and--in my opinion--get better and better.

RON B

Eminem, Without Me (2002)

SCREEN203

Alanis Morissette, Precious Illusions (2002)

I love the high-pitch tune of the guitars in this song. Lyrically, this could work as a counterpart to "Hands Clean" - her songwriting and her voice are amazing as usual.

SHRYKE

Alabama 3 (aka A3), Woke Up This Morning (2000)

Millions of people will instantly recognize this as the theme song from The Sopranos, arguably the most popular show of the early oughts. I got a chance to watch the opening credits every week on HBO, as it came on right after Dennis Miller Live, a show I watched religiously. Ironically, I couldn’t stand The Sopranos. I endured the entire first season, after which I decided I couldn’t take any more. But I would always listen to this song after DML… before switching channels. It’s a killer song in every sense of the word, and it’s something I’ve made it a point to listen to on a regular basis. Gets under my skin every single time.

SIX

Animal Collective, My Girls (2009)

Animal Collective spent most of the millennium being very, very weird and impressing the musos like myself and Leetsu. So this song came as a bit of a surprise because it’s almost poppy, the vocals emulating the Wilson brothers and the electronic music upbeat and sunny. But it works, particularly the Zen-like lyrics, sung in beautiful harmony, about appreciating the small things in life.

SURFER

TV On the Radio, Wolf Like Me (2006)

When TV On the Radio emerged with their second record (and major label debut), I was astonished by how rich the production was on offer. Layers of textures formed from loops, drones and cascading vocals evoked an intriguing atmosphere that I became completely immersed in. Yet while the album allowed for much variety, with intimate nuances in their sound, lead single Wolf Like Me played much more explosive, almost like a rallying cry for the band as Tunde Adebimpe's howling vocals form like billowing clouds against the synthesiser loops while drumming up an allegory for sexual deviancy via a transformation into a werewolf. It's an intoxicating song which excites both lyrically and musically in just the way such an erotic song should.

TRANSFORMERS

The Dillinger Escape Plan-Farewell, Mona Lisa (2010)

One final slab of controlled chaos from New Jersey's finest export since Danny DeVito.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: It's a beautiful song that will always make me think of the beautiful Call Me By Your Name. I think Sufjan has done a lot better across his career, but this is still wistful as hell.
Geezer: Not bad. The bluesy music made it feel different from the majority of your other songs.
John: It's a novelty song and the novelty wore off pretty quickly. I'm never going to choose this over Pulp's incredible original.
Leetsu: Pretty good stuff from across the pond. Reminds me a lot of Deerhunter, in a good way.
NSpan: This was also pretty good. Enjoyed the groove. I thought it was Arctic Monkeys going MOR for a while, though.
Ron B: Amusing.
Shryke: I actually remember this song before the Sopranos, as the original video (the band having a food fight) got a lot of play on Ireland's late-night music TV show No Disco. It's still hard not to think of The Sopranos (how can you hate that show!!!), but it's a good song.
Surf: My all-time favourite TV on the Radio song. Missed out on my list, but I love everything about it. Funny how you mention it's erotic. In Meet me in the Bathroom Tunde explains how bands like The Strokes and Interpol had girls flinging themselves at the singers, but for him girls would walk up and invite him out for a coffee and chat with their boyfriends!
Tranny: Pockets of it were okay.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And of course, as I think about it, Woke Up This Morning is actually a 90s song so DISQUALIFIED ;)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 8 thoughts
For the most part really enjoyed this round.

Chien, Sufjan Stevens - Really lovely song that complemented the film beautifully. I could listen to Sufjan all day, he has such a way with lyrics and his vocals are so comforting.

Geezer, Lucero - Lucero have been one of the highlights of your countdown for me, totally surprised by how much I have enjoyed their music. This was one of the best too, lots going on in it and liked it all.

JohnErle, William Shatner - Ha! That was fun, it freshened up the song enough to keep it interesting, and while it is a novelty, it was still well made. Does it come close to the original? No, of course not, but I had a blast listening.

Leestu, Pond - I only know a little of Pond, but most of what I have heard has been good. This was a great slice of psych rock.

Nspan, Band Of Skulls - I agree with six, without knowing the artist playing in advance I was sure this was a more recent Arctic Monkeys song. I liked it though.

Ron, Eminem - Not one of my favourite Eminem songs to be honest, just grates a little really.

Screen, TBA

Shryke, Alabama 3 - Definitely a 90s song, although if it had a re-release I'm still not sure this should be classified as anything but. It's decent enough, though I've never really been a fan of UK bands imitating US accents. The groove is good on it though.

Six, Animal Collective - That is two days in a row we have had crossovers, and so obviously I am thoroughly enjoying your top ten. Great song from a really good album.

Tranny, Dillinger Escape Plan - Bring back Lana Del Rey, all is forgiven. This was just a little too brutal for my tastes, which is disappointing as I'm sure I quite enjoyed the last song of theirs you posted.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:49 am
And of course, as I think about it, Woke Up This Morning is actually a 90s song so DISQUALIFIED ;)
Well, SHIT. I honestly thought this song came out at the same time as the TV show. Really, I wasn't trying to slip one past y'all, I just didn't do my homework.

If this were lower in my countdown, I could find a replacement... but it isn't, and I can't. Sorry to spoil the sanctity of our countdown. (hangs head in shame)

:oops:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's okay, I prefer this over Korn (aka the new Smashmouth) any day ;)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Lots of songs I know this round, and I'm told the Alabama 3 is a 90s track so I don't have to listen to it. What a time saver! (That's payback for The Smithereens and convincing me to bump Big Country to the also-rans thread, where it was summarily ignored. Revenge is a dish best served cold with a side order of snark.)

Sufjan – If this was the first Sufjan Stevens I'd ever heard I'm sure I would have loved it, but arriving a full decade after I'd first heard of him it felt like he was spinning his wheels a bit. Good, but I'd rather hear the early stuff.

Lucero – Does anyone else in the band ever take on lead vocals? If so, that would probably be my favourite Lucero song.

Pond – I liked the previous Pond more, but this was nice. ADDED.

Band Of Skulls – I heard some Arctic Monkeys in this, and also a lot of the Black Keys. Not very distinctive, I'm afraid.

Eminem – His career did just fine without me.

Alabama 3 – It's fine, but I heard it too much back in the day. Probably not in the 90s like Six, but too much regardless. The TV show with the best theme song of all time remains Simon & Simon.

Animal Collective – I still like it, and still prefer Summertime Clothes.

Wolf Like Me – I still like it and still prefer Wash The Day or Tonight.

Dillinger Escape Room – I still don't like this kind of metal.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

Alabama 3 – It's fine, but I heard it too much back in the day. Probably not in the 90s like Six, but too much regardless. The TV show with the best theme song of all time remains Simon & Simon.
Controversial. Better than "In West Philadelphia, born and raised"?

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjK9GJMBpt0

Or in the world of JohnErle even this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFSKgb46UDM

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Those are all solid, but were any them the Greatest Event In Television History? No.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Steve Earle's cover of Way Down In The Hole was the only theme song used on the Wire, right? Like Little Boxes on Weeds?

You could make a strong case for Mission Impossible, WKRP In Cincinnati, Peter Gunn, or Cheers, but Simon & SImon was the one I stayed up late for as a kid, just to hear that song.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I don't know what event that is. Is this a Canadian thing? Did it involve bacon?

Yeah, each season of The Wire had a different version. Earle's was for the underappreciated 5th season which dealt with the media, a theme more relevant now than ever before. Although now the tin-foil hats would probably rant on about it too much.