Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Post by Shrykespeare »

Home stretch, people!!

CHIEN

Badly Drawn Boy, The Shining (2000)

Ok so this song wasn’t supposed to be in this list. I had forgotten it when preparing this countdown. I realized it when we were around 50 or 60. And then a bit later I realized I had a problem with my list, I had a song listed twice on it. At first I was pissed and panicking, because we were around #25. Then I realized it was the opportunity to include “The Shining”. Honestly, it would have appeared lower on my list, but I still love that beautiful song. I love how there is something majestic about it, and yet at the same time very fragile and intimate.

GEEZER

Rise Against, Behind Closed Doors (2006)

"Chairs thrown and tables toppled,
Hands armed with broken bottles,
Standing no chance to win but,
We're not runnin', we're not runnin'.
There's a point I think we're missin',
It's in the air we raise our fists in,
In the smiles we cast each other,
My sister, my brother."

If you can hear these lyrics and not shout "Well, that certainly sounds like something that would speak to Geezer," you clearly haven't been paying attention. Which is why despite my problems with the band's direction over the last several years, this track from The Sufferer and the Witness, still remains my favorite, and still belongs in my top 20.

JOHNERLE

Steve Earle, Ashes To Ashes (2002)

"Now, nobody lives forever and nothing stands the test of time
Oh, you heard 'em say, "Never say never"
But it's always best to keep it in mind that every tower ever built tumbles
No matter how strong, no matter how tall
Someday even great walls will crumble and every idol ever raised falls
Someday even man's best laid plans will lie twisted and covered in rust
We've done all that we can but it slipped through our hands
And it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust"

Steve Earle wrote these lyrics shortly after 9-11 during the Iraq War and Dubya administration. Looking back on it now, I wonder if he feels he was being too optimistic?

Also: Amerika 6.0, The Truth

LEESTU

Tropical Fuck Storm, Rubber Bullies (2018)

Gareth Liddiard from The Drones formed a new band and took them in an even more exciting direction. Their debut album, A Laughing Death In Meatspace, is a top 5 album of the year for me, with so many great songs, but this song narrowly beats out You Let My Tyres Down as my favourite from their album. An amazing live band who, considering the chaos in their music at times combined with the strong rhythmic nature, and their short time together, is one of the tightest live bands I’ve seen in a while, playing off each other to perfection.

NSPAN

The Rapture, Get Myself Into It (2006)

My "favorite" Rapture track can vary depending on my mood (or the day of the week), but this is the song I ultimately landed on for this countdown. No regrets.

RON B

Bloc Party, Helicopter (2004)

This song takes me back to the party before 18 era. Also, awesome on Guitar Hero.

SCREEN203

Kungs vs. Cookin’ On 3 Burners, This Girl (2015)

This was the song of my summer 2016. Breezy, catchy, and (for it's time, and a remix) somewhat novel (this was pretty much the first "tropical house" song to really break out. While it seems a bit generic now, it has to be on here for its role in history

SHRYKE

Club Des Belugas, Straight to Memphis (2012)

You want ecletic, Chien? Betcha never saw THIS one coming…

I have the honor of having the top comment on YouTube for this video, which is basically a brief description of the artists, which goes like this.

This will blow your minds, but it comes directly from the group's website: Club Des Belugas combines contemporary European Lounge & Nujazz Styles with Brazilian Beats, Swing and American Black Soul of the fifties, sixties and seventies using their unique creativity and intensity. And now the mind-blowing part... they're from Germany.

SIX

LCD Soundsystem, On Repeat (2005)

This is probably the least-loved LCD song of all time. In 2010, when Pitchfork reviewed every single song to honour their split (which turned out to be a hiatus), they pretty much dismissed this track as a pale imitation of their earlier singles. I say with “On Repeat” they perfected their sound. I love how the song is carefully constructed, its elements each gradually coming together, the Krautrock dance rhythm and funky bassline broken up with burst of post-punk guitar noise, all culminating in a glorious medley of self-consciously hip influences.

SURFER

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll (2001)

Taking influence from long-gone British bands of the late '80s and early '90s era such as The Jesus & Mary Chain and Ride, and combining that with the fuzz and reverb of The Velvet Underground and The Stooges, BRMC blasted the cobwebs of the millennial indie scene with a debut record of real swagger. As pounding drums, introspective lyrics and chugging guitars grind, dashed with plenty of smoke machines, they brought a wonderful dose of the dark and mysterious, and with songs like this, brought a manic intensity desperately needed. While the group went on the vary their sound a little on future records, it is always their debut album and this song that I cherish most in the band.

TRANSFORMERS

Run the Jewels feat. Travis Barker, All Due Respect (2014)

Nearly 3 minutes of pure, venomous rapping behind a knocking beat that will test the limits of even the best subwoofers aka my idea of the perfect hip hop song.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Post by numbersix »

Top 20 here we go!

Chien: This is a lovely album. Pity BDB could never come close to the quality of this again. This is a lovely opener to the album.
Geez: A shouty song about shouting: it's pure Geezer!
John: Didn't initially drag me in but that scary voice comes in and makes gives it an interestingly heavy vibe.
Leetsu: Entirely new to me, although I do know The Drones of course. They'll hate me for saying this, but they have a Bad Seeds vibe to them, particularly the 90s era with Mick Harvey's groovier bass and Blixa's deranged guitar. But despite the references this was great and I'll be giving it a re-listen.
NSpan: Yep, this is my favourite track from PieceTheir best post-Echoes song.
Ron B: So much promise, so much energy. What a great debut album, and this is an excellent track.
Screen: Oh I definitely know this. It's pleasant on the ears but does feel very manufactured!
Shryke: All those references sounded intriguing but the result was a little bland. Reminded me a lot of Fatboy Slim's Weapon of Choice.
Surf: Didn't realise BMRC were part of the first wave of rock n roll revival. I still feel they're a bit too MOR in how they employ their influences, so it's only an okay song for me.
Tranny: Love RTJ2 and this is a great demonstration of Killer Mike's skills.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

#20 already !!

Geezer, Rise Against, Behind Closed Doors
Sounds like you, too much like you for my own taste !!

John, Steve Earle, Ashes To Ashes
I really don't know. When he hushes with his voice in a way that sounds like we're in a Tranny song but in a calm way, it gets me out of the song.

Leestu, Tropical Fuck Storm, Rubber Bullies
Now that's interesting. I like how each sound is enhanced somehow. Nothing too much, but something that takes its time to let the sounds develop. And the more it goes, the better it is. Nice.

NSpan, The Rapture, Get Myself Into It
I didn't know The Rapture much before this countdown, I feel like a pro now ! Another rather fun song and easy on the ear.

Ron, Bloc Party, Helicopter
That was a good band indeed. This sounds a little too much like a lot of those brit stuff, but it's still pretty good.

Screen, Kungs vs. Cookin’ On 3 Burners, This Girl
Oooh this one was a big hit in France, we've heard it A LOT. It's pretty fun in its own genre.

Shryke, Club Des Belugas, Straight to Memphis
Indeed I didn't see that one coming. And it does sound interesting. I got tired a bit, it lacks something that would make it more edgy, once you passe the first minute.

Six, LCD Soundsystem, On Repeat
This one too I got tired of. It does get a bit funky at some point, but you gotta earn it...

Surfer, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll
Meh, not a fan.

Tranny, Run the Jewels feat. Travis Barker, All Due Respect
Well this ain't metal, but I'm still not into it. But still better, I gotta admit.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Bloc Party, Helicopter - one of my favourites from an excellent album

The Great

LCD Soundsystem, On Repeat - Yeah I have never thought of this as one of the best songs on the album, more one of the songs that comprise part of a great album, but I love everything they have done so I'm not complaining

Club Des Belugas, Straight to Memphis - first listen...this was pretty great, good rhythm that had me tapping my toes and wanting to move...parts of it did sound vaguely familiar, as if it uses some familiar samples, or has been sampled, or it could just be the resemblance to Fatboy Slim that Six mentioned, because I can definitely hear that

The Very Good

The Rapture, Get Myself Into It - first listen...nice funky dance-punk track...I will get around to their albums one day

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll - it's good, because I like all of it's influences, but to me it lacks that x factor that makes it stand out compared to those that have come before

The Good

Steve Earle, Ashes To Ashes - first listen...I'm surprisingly enjoying these Steve Earle songs

Run the Jewels feat. Travis Barker, All Due Respect - there's a decent handful of RTJ songs I would chose over this, but it's still pretty good

Badly Drawn Boy, The Shining - It doesn't do much for me personally but it's a nice song

Rise Against, Behind Closed Doors - first listen maybe...all their songs sound a bit similar so I'm not sure and this doesn't really stand out to remember

The Okay

Kungs vs. Cookin’ On 3 Burners, This Girl - first listen...I haven't heard it before but I'm guessing only because one of my sons hasn't heard it before. If he had of I'm sure he would have played it a lot, this is easily his taste, but not mine, but it's alright, I can see why it could have been a bit of a popular hit

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 20 thoughts

Chien, Badly Drawn Boy - Man, that takes me back! I was still in school when this came out and can still remember him picking up the Mercury Prize and thinking who the hell this young hobo was!! I soon heard him live, he opened for R.E.M without any fanfare, and he was a great live act, surprisingly. It's a lovely song,

Geezer, Rise Against - Reminds me a lot of Funeral for A Friend and the bands with this sound from this period. So while it doesn't stand out particularly, it is still s decent bit of punk which would be a blast to rock out to.

JohnErle, Steve Earle - This has a great, dirty sound to it all, almost cinematic at times too. Can imagine it in some American dustbowl of a town being played. Maybe even a little Tom Waits. Probably my favourite of his so far.

Leestu, TFS - I only heard of these guys last year but with the name expected something more like Fat White Family. This was much more appealing than that, had a nice build up to it with the pay off too.

Nspan, The Rapture - While I haven't really listened to his record, I am quite familiar with this one. Prefer almost everything off Echoes, but it's decent with a nice vibe to it.

Ron, Bloc Party - Great song, definitely a contender for my own list, great riff and pace to it all.

Screen, Kungs - Was this not originally a 90s song? Seems very familiar and has a Basement Jaxx vibe. Pleasant enough as chilled out dance music goes, but not really my bag.

Shryke, Club Des Belugas - Definitely not my thing. The mix of styles and overall sound just didn't appeal, unfortunately.

Six, LCD Soundsystem - Not my favourite track from this record (that would probably belong to either Tribulations, Best Connection or Losing My Edge), but it has a great, slow build, adding layer upon layer of sound to this great cacophony of noise by its climax.

Tranny, Run The Jewels - A little to out of my wheelhouse for my taste, if I couldn't tell if this was Run The Jewels or Black Eyed Peas I guess that says a lot. Not for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

The Divine Comedy, Our Mutual Friend (2004)

I remember I first heard this song on a CD that was offered by the French music mag Les Inrockuptibles. I remember feeling really puzzled by it at first. There’s a word in French that has no equivalent in English, “romanesque”, and I feel that this is the word that best describes this song. It’s a song that is very narrative, there’s no chorus, a story is told to us in a very novelistic way almost. But the strings that carry the song transcend the words, and have us float above the ground while listening to this. To me it’s a very surreal song, unique, romantic. It puts the art of storytelling at the center of the song, something that I feel has become quite rare. If it was shorter at the end, it would be almost perfect in its unique way, and higher here.

GEEZER

Frank Turner, I Still Believe (2011)

I go back and forth between the two top songs in Frank Turner's catalog, so that's why there's not much separation between them on the list. Another song that lyrically speaks right to me. Because really, who'd have thought, that after all, something as simple as rock and roll would save us all? Six will probably just think this is the same thing as Katy Perry or some shit.

JOHNERLE

The Tragically Hip, Lake Fever (2000)

Unless you lived in Canada in the 90s, you can't fathom how important and popular this band was. This millennium wasn't as kind to them, and this album was the last time every new Hip album was essential listening. Another excellent song from this album contains the line "I'm starting to fail to be impressed", and that was the reaction of many Canadians to the Hip's output this millennium, until Gord Downie's cancer diagnosis sparked an amazing outpouring of emotion. In the divided world we live in, I can't imagine another band having the same kind of universal impact The Hip had in Canada at their peak. RIP Gord.

Also: Coffee Girl, Puttin' Down

LEESTU

Sorority Noise, No Halo (2017)

A fantastic, emotionally powerful album, dealing with difficult topics including addiction, mourning, religion, and mental health. From my favourite album of 2017, best listened to as a whole album experience, but this lead single is one of the many stand outs.

NSPAN

Phoenix, Too Young (2000)

Phoenix's breakout hit was my entry-point for the band. Still my favorite. (Also check out the Zoot Woman remix if that piques your interest)

RON B

Weezer, Island in the Sun (2001)

For a while I had no idea who Weezer were. This might be the first one I heard knowing who they are.

SCREEN203

Tinashe feat, SchoolBoy Q, 2 On (2014)

Love this one. This was my first introduction to Tinashe, and I started with one of her best songs. The lyrics are vapid (and ScHoolboy's verse is about as misogynistic as you'd expect, with none of the cleverness of his first few solo albums), but the beat (produced by the infamous DJ Mustard) was (and still is) very unique, and works well with the vocals.

SHRYKE

Rammstein, Feuer Frei (2002)

I’d heard of Rammstein before I was first introduced to this song (which was in a theater, watching xXx, where the band themselves were seen playing it in the opening scene). It fit the mood of the movie perfectly, and I became an instant fan. It’s about as kick-ass as a song can get. (Whatever happened to Asia Argento?)

I was saddened to hear about lead singer Till Lindemann’s hospitalization last month, but beyond relieved when it turned out to be pneumonia and not COVID-19. Last I heard, he’s doing fine. Bang bang, dude!

SIX

The White Stripes, Fell in Love with a Girl (2001)

Sorry, John, but this is the best thing that siblings-or-spouses duo ever did. It’s 2 minutes (less, in fact) of pure trashy garage rock, and so infectious that the night I first heard it I skipped university classes the next day to rush to the CD store (remember them?) to pick up White Blood Cells. Few songs rouse me as instantly as this did, and its power has never diminished.

SURFER

Savages, She Will (2013)

Savages’ debut record, Silence Yourself, is a visceral, complex record which evokes the very best from the emergence of the post punk era, notably Joy Division, Siouxie and Bauhaus in its starkness, stripping everything away to its bare bones and revealing a determined expression of feminism at its core. With Jehnny Beth's vibrato at is focus though, this is no ordinary post punk, Savages take their influences and make them their own, bringing sexuality and violence to the fore. This is never more evident than in She Will, an ode to feminine sexuality and the taking pleasure from the act in a positive manner, rather than the negative light women are often painted in for enjoying such acts. It makes for a sexy, confident and powerful song, as well as a exhilarating expression of musicianship.

TRANSFORMERS

Machine Head, Halo (2007)

Kind of a history-spanning metal grab bag that features nods from everything to the soaring sounds of Iron Maiden/Judas Priest to the 90's groove era in a crushingly epic 9-minute package.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#19 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/56l1d ... VQyGLmAcLA

Missing: The Tragically Hip, Lake Fever

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

The White Stripes, Fell in Love with a Girl - great fun blast of catchy energy

The Great

Savages, She Will - along with Shut Up, and Husbands, one of the best songs on a great debut album

The Very Good

Frank Turner, I Still Believe - first listen...this was cool...a nice homage to old style rock 'n' roll...I liked this line "Hear ye, hear ye, now anybody could take this stage. Hear ye, hear ye, and make miracles for minimum wage"

Weezer, Island in the Sun - as a fan of Weezer at first I was as bored with this song as they sound in it, but with time I came to appreciate it's ennui and how that contrasts with the lyrics...I still prefer the more energetic Hash Pipe from this album...and it slightly disappoints me that when I saw them live, and when I saw a Weezer tribute band, both times this is the song that got one of the biggest and best crowd responses and reactions

The Good

Machine Head, Halo - first listen...hah! Halo and No Halo on the same day!...enjoyed this journey through metal history

The Tragically Hip, Lake Fever - first listen...decent song

The Divine Comedy, Our Mutual Friend - first listen...I once heard a sampler playlist of this band (coincidentally created by someone from France - is this band big there?) but I wasn't encouraged to hear more of them from listening to it, and this song has much the same effect...broken down I like the individual parts of this song, the vocals are good, I like the story telling aspect, I have no problem with a no chorus song structure, and the music is decent, if a little bit orchestral for my tastes, but as a whole the song just doesn't move me

The Okay

Rammstein, Feuer Frei - I used to like Rammstein, and this song, but it has not aged well...I've actualy got this soundtrack on CD, picked it up cheap somewhere, it's a strange one, heavy alt rock/light metal for the first half, and then rap/hip hop for the second half

Phoenix, Too Young - first listen...just pleasantly breezed by me with no lasting effect, like a lot of Phoenix songs do

The Rest

Tinashe feat, SchoolBoy Q, 2 On - fist listen...I was not enjoying this but I was looking forward to the Schoolboy Q feature, as he has done some alright things, but then he was bit was even yukkier than the rest of the song

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm writing this while listening to Tranny's 9 min track so if there are bursts of AARRGGHHHs throughout, then bear with me.

Chien: It's very luscious, and I suspect really more about the lyrical journey than the musical one. But it was nice. But it's not a patch on My Lovely Horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkHCaH-rt5M

Geez: Well, maybe, yeah, I might make that comparison. At least it's better than Tranny's pick :D

John: Didn't do a lot for me, sadly. Very under-the-radar.

Leetsu: Also didn't really grab me, I'm afraid.

NSpan: If there's one thing this list has done it has made me appreciate Phoenix more. Also, they actually sound very ahead of their time. Not a lot of indie bands were making 80s influenced music like this in 2000.

Ron: While Weezer were way better in the 90s this is actually a nice song

Screen: Not unpleasant to the ears, but not memorable. I very rarely get the nuances of modern R&B unless it's really out there, like FKA Twigs.

Shryke: They always amuse me and some of their 90s stuff is fun, that's for sure.

Surf: Excellent song and definitely one of the debut record's best. And as much as we all look at the lead singers I think this song is a showcase for Gemma's incredible guitar work.

Tranny: I know I mock but admittedly there were some good bits here, like the start, and the last 2 mins.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Frank Turner, I Still Believe
That was actually quite pleasant to listen to. Not the kind of stuff I'd add on my list, but easy on the ear for sure.

John, The Tragically Hip, Lake Fever
Meh, its was a bit bland to me, I just finished listening to the song and don't remember anything about it already.

Leestu, Sorority Noise, No Halo
Meh bis. Nothing stands out for me in this.

NSpan, Phoenix, Too Young
Man, I had completely forgotten this song existed. I like Phoenix, so I'll say good choice obviously. You can already recognize in it what's gonna constitute their music in the following two decades, that cool, retro pop mixed with electro.

Ron, Weezer, Island in the Sun
Wow, another song I had forgotten existed. That was so popular back then you couldn't escape that song. It's a pretty effective pop song, there's no denying it was a hit.

Screen, Tinashe feat, SchoolBoy Q, 2 On
I'm definitely not the audience for this.

Shryke, Rammstein, Feuer Frei
You're really unpredictable. Rammstein ? No thanks :lol:

Six, The White Stripes, Fell in Love with a Girl
Not my favourite White Stripes sound, but it's still good. And its shortness makes it all the more effective.

Surfer, Savages, She Will
I really like the energy of this, and the storytelling of the music in this song. Not sure I really love the song, there's really something in it.

Tranny, Machine Head, Halo
Man that's way too long ! But as it stands, t least there's a 90 seconds intro that wasn't bad. But when it starts singing, everything crumbles for me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan - Get Myself Into It - Far and away the best Rapture song I've heard yet. Great choice, dude! 8/10

Ron B - Helicopter - Really cool song. I was able to get myself into it. (See what I did there?) 7.5/10

Screen - This Girl - Definitely have heard this before. Very good song. 7/10

Geezer - Behind Closed Doors - For a hot second, I thought this was Offspring's "The Kids Aren't Alright". Which is not a bad thing. Not a great thing, but not bad either. Kinda like this song. 6.5/10

Six - On Repeat - Liked the beat, not wild about the vocals. Liked the beat, not wild about the vocals. 6/10

Leestu - Rubber Bullies - That was... wow, I got nothing. Um... the lyrics were cool? 6/10

Surfer - Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll - Just okay for me. 6/10

JohnErle - Ashes to Ashes - I know you think Steve is the greatest thing since sliced bread (they really need to update that cliche), but I just haven't been able to get into him. This was okay, but not something I'm going to return to. 5.5/10

Chien - The Shinning :lol: - Sorry, dude. Did nothing for me. Guess all work and now music makes Chien a... 5.5/10

Tranny - All Due Respect - With... all due respect... not for me. 5/10

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 19 thoughts

Another good round, keep this up guys.

Chien, The Divine Comedy - Man its been a while since I last heard from them. Mostly only familiar with their 90s work but this was gorgeous. Always been a fan of Neil Hannon's vocals, but the epic nature of the song really complements him so well here. Will be listening to this a bit.

Geezer, Frank Turner - Simple but effective. Nice brisk pace to it and can imagine this would be a radio hit. Definitely better than the last song of his you posted.

JohnErle, The Tragically Hip - Like others have mentioned, this was pleasant but unremarkable. Suspect it maybe works better within an album. Standalone, it's just OK. Nice vocals though.

Leestu, Sorority Noise - Fantastic song from a great album. Definitely one of the best hardcore records of the millennium, so much emotion and the guitars are awesome.

Nspan, Phoenix - This countdown has gotten me listening to Phoenix as prior they were just a semi popular act with a couple of nice hits I had heard. But having spent a little more time with them I am enjoying them a lot. Helps to play this in nice weather (we are in the midst of a heatwave at the moment), as the chilled out sunny atmosphere of the song really works well.

Ron, Weezer - Definitely one of the last few highlights of Weezer's rapidly fading career. Not a patch on anything from the first couple of records, but the sunny disposition of the song is fun. And the video with the Muppets is awesome.

Screen, Tinashe - Still not for me.

Shryke, Rammstein - I can recall being forced to go on holiday with my parents in the late 90s as I was not old enough to stay at home. We went to my idea of hell, Ayia Napa (a party island for teens), and I refused to go to their terrible clubs. Thus left me frequenting the lone 'rock' bar on the island for a whole week. And they pretty much just played Rammstein all night. Anyway, I digress, so I naturally have a little affection for this music even if it's not really my taste, but it is fun.

Six, The White Stripes - Pure joy in under two minutes. What else could anyone want.

Tranny, Machine Head - Started off great, and while that was probably the peak of the song, this was much more tolerable than many of your picks. Vocals were decent and there was a nice guitar line in there too. Probably too long even then, but I will take this one as a win.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Badly Drawn Boy – Q: Which Wes Anderson movie is this from? A: All of them! Just kidding. It's very good. Haven't heard it in ages.

Rise Against – Too polished for me, especially for a rock song about a barroom brawl.

Rubber Bullies – It sounds like a Nick Cave wannabe to me, and why would anyone want to be Nick Cave? I mean, Nick Cave has no choice in the matter, but willingly choosing to be Nick Cave? That's nuts. (Poor Nick Cave. This isn't even his song and he's getting ripped to shreds for it. I liked Red Right Hand, for what it's worth.)

Get Myself Into It – It's good, but I liked other stuff from this album better.

Helicopter – It'll never get old. Awesome stuff.

This Girl – Not for me.

Straight To Memphis – I'm all for blending genres like this, but it feels like something is missing. It sounds like something The Art Of Noise might have done.

On Repeat – First of all, stop reading Pitchfork immediately! Second, this isn't the best LCD Soundsystem I've ever heard, but it's alright. James Murphy always seems to insist on good dynamics, so even mid-range LCD Soundsystem is very easy for me to listen to.

BRMC – I wouldn't turn it off, but it didn't grab me. If this song is any indication, I prefer the cleaner sound of Baby 81. Jesus And Mary Chain used distortion to great effect. This is so extreme it sounds like they're hiding behind it.

Run The Jewels – Not for me.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 5:23 pm

On Repeat – First of all, stop reading Pitchfork immediately! Second, this isn't the best LCD Soundsystem I've ever heard, but it's alright. James Murphy always seems to insist on good dynamics, so even mid-range LCD Soundsystem is very easy for me to listen to.
Hah! I've given up on Pitchfork long ago, when it lost its "cred" and just became middle-aged and middle-of-the-road. They no longer take stands on anything, and certainly don't make careers like they did with Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Sufjan Stevens, etc. But i still check out what they deem Best New Music, don't bother to read what they say, and give it a listen to see if it's worth discovering.