Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 15 thoughts

Chien, Alex Beaupain - Sometimes simplicity does work, I have certainly got my own dose of that on my list. Unfortunately, despite the addition of the lyrics, the emotion in the vocals just wasn't there to really draw me in.

Geezer, Against Me! - Man, I was certain that was Springsteen when the intro kicked in. Definitely a little different from what I have heard of the band, but it's good different.

JohnErle, Lucinda Williams - I got into Lucinda Williams a little more recently following a name check by Waxahatchee. Having read you comments I thought it best I try to pay attention to the lyrics a little more and they are indeed devastating. Not your average country, and her rougher vocals help this too.

Leestu, King Gizzard - Not gonna lie, I thought these guys were mostly just a one trick pony of psych jams, but they have certainly shown their versatility on this countdown. Sounded like there were some Eastern influences in this one, which worked really well with a slower sound than I am accustomed to from them. So while it didn't blow me away like some of their other songs I know, it was decent.

Nspan, Pillowfight - Like all your Pillowfight picks, there's a cool beat, but other than that nothing really pulls me in, and vocals put me off a bit.

Ron, System Of A Down - Lost interest in the band with this song. Just didn't have that one real hook that got me interested in the Toxicity record.

Screen, Pink - Think I prefer Pink when she has a little more energy and fun about her. This was a little serious and exposed her rather weak vocals.

Shryke, Pet Shop Boys - Definitely a hint or two of New Order, listened to it a few times today and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Six, IDLES - Never really had it as one of my favourites of the record, though the whole album is fantastic so that is perhaps a little harsh. Always felt like it was two songs in one too. Definitely hear Swans and maybe a little Liars in this song too. Comes into its own live also.

Tranny, Lana Del Ray - I know she is basically the poster girl of indie pop, but honestly, I don't really know why. She doesn't have a stand out voice, her songs don't really do anything one way or another. So while pleasant enough, this pretty much just exists.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I love It

Idles, Colossus - one of my favourite songs from the album...I love the lyrics, with my favourite line being "I am my father's son, his shadow weighs a tonne" with both positive and negative connotations it gives me something to ponder on both a personal level and a societal level everytime I hear this song

System of a Down, B.Y.O.B. - used to be one of my favourite SOAD songs and I still love it but I'm a sucker for anti-war songs...and fuck censorship of lyrics in music videos

The Very Good

Against Me!, Because of the Shame - first listen...the lyrics and the situation conveyed is the strength of the song , and musically it's decent, if a bit more rock than punk, but that seems to fit here

Lucinda Williams, Sweet Side - first listen...I've only heard her Car Wheels On A Gravel Road album...liked the vocals a lot, the lyrics were interesting, and there was something about that "your sweet side" refrain that has stuck in my head in a good way

Lana Del Rey, Blue Jeans -definitely one of the highlights of an uneven album, but does not compare to a few excellent songs on NFR, another uneven album but the highs are higher

The Okay

Alex Beaupain, Brooklyn Bridge - first listen...it sounds like a nice song but the language barrier probably plays a part here

Pillowfight, Get Down - first listen...didn't like this as much as the other Pillowfight songs...seems like an album filler track to me more than a radio friendly hit

The Shins, Australia - I get the appeal but I find them a bit dull I'm afraid

Pet Shop Boys, Minimal - first listen...pleasant if a bit unremarkable but immemorably passed me by

The Meh

P!nk, Sober - I may have heard this before, I don't know, it sounds so forgettable...it's not bad but too AOR for my taste...I find the most interesting thing about her is why is she so popular with middle aged women who don't like music?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Surfer - Australia - This was darn cool, Surf. Love the quirky beat, and the lyrics sounded like something Andy Partridge might have penned. Nice choice. 8/10

Geezer - Because of the Shame - I think this is my favorite Against Me! song you've posted thus far. Really, really, good. 7.5/10

NSpan - Get Down - I quite enjoyed this. Felt like a remake of a really cool 70s disco song. 7/10

Tranny - Blue Jeans - I am VERY SLOWLY coming around on Lana. I'm not quite there yet, but this was a pleasant surprise. 6.5/10

Six - Colossus - Is it weird that I can totally picture Morrissey doing a cover of this song? Wasn't wild about the guy's weird facial expressions, but the song is definitely cool. 6.5/10

Ron B - B.Y.O.B. - My opinion of the song hasn't changed since it came out. Like the Serj parts, hate the non-Serj parts. Guitars are great. 6.5/10

Leestu - Nuclear Fusion - Had a few moments, but not enough for me to want to listen again. 6/10

Screen - Sober - Kinda liked parts of it, but nothing about it made it stand out or special. 6/10

Chien - Brooklyn Bridge - Didn't work for me. Probably wouldn't have worked in English either. 5.5/10

JohnErle - Sweet Side - I appreciate the message and its effect on you, but her voice grates on me. Sorry. 5/10

Today was a bad day. Will post #14 tomorrow. (Don't worry, i'm not sick or anything, just a case of the gloomies.)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Alex Prettybread – Simplicity can be very effective, especially when you want people to focus on the lyrics, but since I couldn't really understand the lyrics all I was left with was an overly simple piano line and a voice I didn't really like.

Against Me! - I listened to this album at the time but didn't notice this song for some reason. It's quite good even though I had to struggle to hear the lyrics during the chorus. ADDED

Sweet Side – I'm glad you guys can still surprise me after 85 rounds. I did not expect to hear anything good about this song from the indie rock contingent of Six, Leestu, and Surfer. And by the way, I included Lucinda in the top 5 of my album countdown ages ago, but some kid mentions her in an interview and now you check her out? Gee, thanks! ;)

King Gizzard & The Lynard Skynard – I mean, it's only a matter of time before they crank out a Southern Rock album, just to prove they can. The core of this song has an awesome groove but some of the flourishes were off-putting. I'll give them a chance to grow on me. ADDED.

Pillowfight – Dude should change his name to Dan The Automatic Addition To Nspan's Lists. Didn't really do much for me.

System Of A Down – My initial reaction was “Ugh, not SOAD!” but then I remembered that I said I had a newfound respect for them thanks to this countdown. If I'd heard this during my teens or 20s I probably would have dug it, but that ship has sailed and probably sunk by now.

P!nk – So soon? Didn't care for this one either.

Pet Shop Boys – I never know what to do with this kind of mid-tempo, restrained club music. Am I supposed to dance or stand in the corner smoking a cigarette while pondering the meaning of existence?

Idles – I was very intrigued by this the first time I heard it, so much so that the rest of the album was a big disappointment, apart from Danny Nedelko. It's still my second favourite track of theirs, but I much prefer the first section before the pause.

The Shins – It's funny how different your perceptions of a band can be based on what blogs you read or what crowd you hang with. I heard nothing but raves about The Shins for years, so much so that I resisted them for a long time, and that stupid movie didn't help. Eventually they won me over, at least partially. This is excellent, but it's not one of the ones I considered for my list.

Lana Del Rey – I'm generally not a fan of hers, but this is pretty good. I'm just thrilled you have a third genre in your musical library.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Against Me!, Because of the Shame
Even though this isn't the kind of stuff I'd listen just for me, it's definitely easy to listen, pretty nice.

John, Lucinda Williams, Sweet Side
I don't always like those nosy voices à la Bob Dylan. I'm not sure I like it here. The song in itself ain't bad. A bit redundant, too much, and as I don't really get all the lyrics at first listen, I can't rely on that to get into it.

Leestu, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Nuclear Fusion
The opening quite scared me with that metal voice lurking. In the end it was better than that, but nothing that really grabbed me though.

NSpan, Pillowfight, Get Down
There's a nice rhythm in there somewhere, but nothing catchy enough.

Ron, System of a Down, B.Y.O.B.
System of a down ain't for me, for sure.

Screen, P!nk, Sober
Like I said earlier, there are a couple of pink songs I can listen to, this one ain't one of them.

Shryke, Pet Shop Boys, Minimal
Not really fan of this I'm afraid.

Six, Idles, Colossus
There's something I like in there, something raw, growing. It' still a bit too much noisy for me. I much prefer the first part of the song than the last one.

Surfer, The Shins, Australia
I've listened to a bit of The Shins back then, there are a few songs of them I like. My favourite is "A comet appears", but this one is pretty nice too.

Tranny, Lana Del Rey, Blue Jeans
I'm not especially a fan of Lana Del Rey, but she has an atmospheric style that can be seductive. This is probably my favourite choice of yours for now.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

David Byrne, Glass, Concrete and Stone (2004)

Guitar, drums and bass are the basics of modern music, have been for decades, and sometimes I’m tired of that. I love a good song lying on those instruments, but we’re so used to having them be the cement of music, that getting out of that comfort zone can be so refreshing. David Byrne is the kind of musician that knows how to get out of that comfort zone with an unexpected sound. “Glass, concrete and stone” has been such a song to me for years. Something out of the blue, a sense of creativity with a strong storytelling.

GEEZER

Jeff Rosenstock, You, In Weird Cities (2015)

I am running out of things to say on my multi-featured artists, so I'm going to take this very appropriate time to talk about my process for arranging this list. Basically, once I had made my final cut and settled on my top 150 songs, I put them in a rough order by artist, and then when it came time to send my next set of songs I'd have a bit of an idea which songs were in that range of being selected. But before I just put them in a particular numerical slot, I have listened to every song two more times, to be sure that this is where I wanted it.

Well, that brings me to Jeff Rosenstock's "You, In Weird Cities." The first time I listened to this song to decide it's placement was, I think, around number 80. I originally had it third ranked among his own songs. Every single time I have tried to cross it off the list, I couldn't do it. It grew and grew and grew on me, which happens with so much of Jeff's music, but this song is the epitome of it. It has obviously skyrocketed up to number 14 on my list. It's so fucking good, it is everything Jeff Rosenstock excels at in one song. And just as a cherry on top, watch this music video! It is the most punk rock thing ever, and that just endears it to my heart even more. For those of you who usually listen on Spotify, go ahead, but I hope you'll check it out after. It's just such a great concept and from someone as authentic as Jeff and his band it doesn't surprise me at all. I hate New York, but this is just awesome and something you have to see. Lyrically, musically, visually, this song is everything about modern punk rock that I love.

JOHNERLE

eels, Things The Grandchildren Should Know (2005)

When XTC released “Dear God” I thought, finally, an anthem for atheists. I had a similar reaction the first time I heard this and I thought finally, an anthem for socially awkward introverts. This is a band where I've never dug too deep beyond the highlights, but I probably should.

Also: Mr. E's Beautiful Blues

LEESTU

Violent Soho, Covered In Chrome (2013)

An anthemic song from a band who is keeping punky grungy alt rock relevant in this millennium. A hard-working band who until recently seemed to always be touring, building up a healthy dedicated fan base based on a fantastic live reputation. What seems like a simple juvenile song is actually about the power of an ideal to inspire and rebel against authority to improve your lot (with imagery from a 1956 Hungarian uprising) contrasting with the desire for a simple trouble-free life. Giving the lyrics “hell fuck yeah” much more depth than they probably have ever had before.

NSPAN

Silversun Pickups, Lazy Eye (2007)

When compiling this list, I was pleasantly reminded that this isn't a song from the 90s... which allowed me to include it. But it has such a "classic" feel in my mind, that I feel like I grew up listening to it. I don't think the band ever hit this high of a high again.

RON B

Childish Gambino, Redbone (2016)

The first and only song my little brother has introduced me to, by way of knowing what it was in Get Out. Listened after the film, and have loved it ever since.

SCREEN203

M.I.A, Paper Planes (2007)

This still sounds innovative, even years after I first heard it. There's just something in the chorus made of stock noises and those guitars that is refreshing.

SHRYKE

Level 42, The Way Back Home (2006)

The best song of the millennium by my favorite band of all time. The wistfulness in an aging Mark King’s voice always renders me simultaneously sad and hopeful, a stirring reminder of why I fell in love with this band 35 years ago. But it’s the last 90 seconds, a veritable cascade of beautiful sounds going into my ears at once (esp. on earphones) that makes this song such a delight. It’s a freaking eargasm of gorgeousness. If Level 42 never do another record, at least I’ll have this to look back on and smile (along with that photo of me and Mark from 1987, which is in a box somewhere in my house…).

SIX

Sigur Ros, Untitled 4 (2002)

What a load of nonsense. Singer Jonsi resorted to making up his own language for the Icelandic band’s third album, because he couldn’t find words to evoke his feelings. Instead, he created something beautiful, like an instrument playing in harmony with the rest of the band. This is an interesting song because some interpret it as sad, but I think it’s more romantic and uplifting, with its dream-like atmosphere and heartbeat patter.

SURFER

Parquet Courts, Master Of My Craft (2012)

Parquet Courts have featured quite heavily on this countdown already, with their skittish post punk influences clashing with the fraught dynamics of indie rock to wonderful effect. Light Up Gold was my introduction to the band, and while their sound has developed over time and their style become more flexible, it is likely still my most played record of theirs. The opening track, Master Of My Craft, is a perfect kick-start to the record, as the tension between front men Andrew Savage and Austin Brown explodes and their Television/Sonic Youth influence is worn plainly on their sleeves. The two jostle between singing duties as they chronicle a battle of capitalist ideals, while the guitars mirror this battle with a wonderful charade of interplay. It all makes for a fantastic introduction to a great record and highlights the band's strengths in exemplary fashion.

TRANSFORMERS

The Faceless, Sons of Belial (2008)

The final installment of the hit recurring series "Noisy, Space-Themed Death Metal Songs That Will Have You Rushing for the Stop Button" is here. Try and hold those tears in, gents.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: I adore David Byrne's voice, and even though his solo stuff never comes close to Talking Heads's peak it's usually still good. Like this sweet song. I saw his American Utopia show 2 years ago and it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen.
Geez: Had pockets of more old skool punk and rock which made it a tad more interesting
John: Nice lyrics, although the music is a tad unassuming.
Leetsu: Similarly, interesting lyrics (I figured it was more than the usual teen/suburban anthem when he starting singing he wanted a middle-class) although the music is a little too familiar.
NSpan: A song I know well but never knew who it was. Did this appear on someone's All Time list? It's great!
Ron B: It was okay, but far from memorable. Funnily I remember Glover introducing himself on SNL by saying that white people know him as the guy from Community, and black people know him as the guy who sang Redbone.
Screen: Love MIA. A classic anthem.
Shryke: Sorry, dude, but this didn't resonate on any level, particularly some of the cringe-inducing lyrics.
Surf: Also my intro to the band. An excellent opener.
Tranny: I didn't mind this because the music was more restrained so it didn't seem so relentless.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke, what's the plan for the unveiling of the #1's? Are we going to post them ourselves 1 by 1 like we have on past countdowns or just treat it like #100-2 and send everything to you so they can be revealed all at once?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

David Byrne – Guitar, drums and bass are great when used in interesting ways, but I also love me some cello and the xylophone is nicely used here. This is fantastic and I can't believe I haven't heard it before. ADDED

Jeff Rosenstock – Not bad, but I wish it wasn't so compressed. Then I watched the video, which was more dynamic, and I hate it when record companies do that. And is it still technically punk when the singer has a comb-over?

Violent Soho – No no no no no no no no no no no no. (Actually, it had its moments, but why go in depth when a flippant response will do? Ultimately too derivative and dated for me. Even the album cover seems like an homage to the Offspring.)

Lazy Eye - “Guys, we need to decide on a band name.”
“Smashing Pumpkins!”
“I've told you. Legally, we can't do that.”
“Smashing Pumpkinz, with a z?”
“No. Still too obvious.”
”Two z's?”
“No.”
“Three z's and an umlaut?”
“NO! Guys! We need to think outside the box.”
“Pumping Smashkins?”
(sigh)
“Smashing Pickups?”
“Ok, that's not bad. It needs work.”
“Silversun Pumpkins?”
“I feel we're halfway there...”
“Silversun Pickups?”
“That's it! That's the one!”
“But we can still sound exactly like the Smashing Pumpkins, right?”
“Oh hell yeah.”

All kidding aside, I quite enjoyed this Pumping Smashkins album. Little Lover's So Polite is even better.

Childish Gambino – He'll always be Troy Barnes to me. I don't mind the beat, but the vocals are annoying.

M.I.A. - You're lucky I used up all my snark on The Silversun Pumpkins.

Level 42 – At first I wasn't into it, but then, before I knew what was happening, it worked its way under my skin and I started enjoying it. There's a hook in that chorus that's hard to resist. I don't know if it'll have any staying power for me, but it's ADDED for now.

Sigur Ros – Lovely, but it's hard to know if I've heard this one before.

Parquet Courts – I thought it was more VU meets the Modern Lovers. Hearing it for the first time felt like hearing it for the 100th time, and the muffled production still doesn't appeal. Despite all my reservations, there's a catchy little tune there somewhere under all that lack of fidelity or originality. I'd probably like it more live.

The Faceless – The riffage in the intro was cool, but do I really need to mention the point where I hit skip?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:15 am
Shryke, what's the plan for the unveiling of the #1's? Are we going to post them ourselves 1 by 1 like we have on past countdowns or just treat it like #100-2 and send everything to you so they can be revealed all at once?
We'll do it like we did before. We'll create a schedule so y'all can post your own #1 on a day that you select. I will post that schedule in the next few days.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Alright cool. Thanks for clearing that up!
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 14 thoughts

Chien, David Byrne - I must admit, beyond his collaboration with St. Vincent, I haven't really listened to much of David Byrne's relatively recent offerings. Really enjoyed this one. Don't know if anyone caught him in the John Mulaney sketch tv movie last year, but he was right up there at the top of the many highlights.

Geezer, Jeff Rosenstock - Love me some Rosenstock, so much energy in his work and he really seems to enjoy the job. This is right up there with his best, certainly.

JohnErle, The Eels - This has been a round of great vocalists, and Mark Everett is one of the voices of my coming of age. I quite enjoyed his latest record too actually, which was a surprise considering how the last time I invested in one of his records was Souljacker. So while this was new to me, it was rather lovely.

Leestu, Violent Soho - I suspect during my early 20s I may have enjoyed this a little more, but it just sounds so much like the genre now I couldn't really differentiate it from the sum of its parts.

Nspan, Silversun Pickups - As a huge 90s SP fan, this obviously tickles my taste buds. Haven't listened to it in a hell of a long time though, so good to hear it again.

Ron, Childish Gambino - To be honest, I didn't think I knew his musical work outside of his number one hit single. But I had heard this before, most likely from Get Out. Has a cool, funky vibe to it, though as John says, it's kind of ruined by the vocals.

Screen, M.I.A - Still a very good song that breaks barriers of what conventionally people may listen to. Definitely surprised me after I had heard about it.

Shryke, Level 42 - Mark King still has a very nice voice, but musically this didn't really do anything at all, so ultimately I clocked out way before it's last 90 seconds.

Six, Sigur Ros - I guess these guys fall into that bracket of artists who I can't really pick out an individual track for its wonderfulness, they are so much of an experience via record that it is impossible for me to do. Still, this is definitely one of the highlights of this record, such a mood to it, and I agree it is definitely more hopeful than sorrowful in my opinion.

Tranny, The Fallen - Sorry, still not for me, and glad this is the last of this batch!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Jeff Rosenstock, You, In Weird Cities
Meh, it's not bad, but it's too much in a hurry for me.

John, eels, Things The Grandchildren Should Know
I was this close to including a song by Eels on my list. I regretted I didn't in the end, so I'm glad someone shows some love for this great band. Like you, I have never really dug that deep, but I've listened to them here and there since the 90's. This one is a fantastic song, I love how its melancholy gets tangled with sounds that feel joyful, and keeps that floating mood all along.

Leestu, Violent Soho, Covered In Chrome
I love all the quieter moments of the songs, and even if when it gets all punky, my ears like it less, I like that dichotomy of sounds, it's really interesting. Yeah, I like that song.

NSpan, Silversun Pickups, Lazy Eye
Well it's not a classic in France I guess, I've never heard that song before, at least I don't remember it at all. Unfortunately it sounds a bit bland to me in the first 3 minutes. It picks up some steam at that point, but I'd say it's too little too late for me. It's not bad, but i'll have forgotten it in a couple of hours.

Ron, Childish Gambino, Redbone
I think it's a pretty cool song. I have never dug deep in Glover's act, so I think I only know the 3 or 4 songs everyone knows, never really had the desire to hear much more, but there's still something nice about his songs. This one has this cool little rhythm that stays with you.

Screen, M.I.A, Paper Planes
A classic at this point in the century. I almost included it.

Shryke, Level 42, The Way Back Home
That sounded 80's as hell. So there's something cute in it, something retro. I waited the eargasm of the last 90 seconds, but honestly I didn't hear a change in the song then, even on headphones.

Six, Sigur Ros, Untitled 4
One of my two favourite albums of Sigur Ros, fantastic song. I've listened to that album a lot when I bought it back then. Only great songs on it.

Surfer, Parquet Courts, Master Of My Craft
I've heard my fair share of post-punk-indie-rock songs on this countdown. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Here it doesn't.

Tranny, The Faceless, Sons of Belial
I couldn't hold the tears in, Tranny ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Great round!!!

The I Love It

Silversun Pickups, Lazy Eye - fantastic song, and I agree although they do have some other good songs, they have never come close to this before or since

M.I.A, Paper Planes -great pick! our second crossover

The Awesome

Parquet Courts, Master Of My Craft - The first time I saw them live (3 times now) was in 2014 so this album was the majority of the set, and this song was so much fun, and along with Stoned And Starving the highlights of the set

The Excellent

eels, Things The Grandchildren Should Know...beautiful sad boi song...as usual with E great lyrics, and excellent vocals...if you want to dig deeper start where they did with Beautiful Freak (my favourite),then Electro-Shock Blues (an emotionally powerful album written around the time of his Mother death and his sister's suicide), see where he went to with End Times (a great example of his middle aged singer/songwriter period), and his latest, The Deconstruction, from 2018 is pretty decent return to his earlier style.

Childish Gambino, Redbone - it took a while to grow on me, but what an excellent song...there is actually so much going on in this song musically, and this fascinating video helped me understand and appreciate that so much more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKlIJsz7bM

The Great

Jeff Rosenstock, You, In Weird Cities - another artist, like Sorority Noise, that I think I discovered through Geezer here...great song and cool idea...USA was the Jeff Rosenstock song that came closest to making my list

The Very Good

Sigur Ros, Untitled 4 first listen...they really know how to create atmosphere

David Byrne, Glass, Concrete and Stone - first listen...I haven't explored much of his solo work despite Talking Heads being one of my earliest favourite bands when I was young...really enjoyed this

The Good

Level 42, The Way Back Home - first listen...very nice sounding song...now I see why you liked the Boy and Bear song that Ron posted, they have a very similar sound to this

The Faceless, Sons of Belial - first listen...vocals are difficult to enjoy but the music wasn't