Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #20-11

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I pop in here from time to time and I did not expect to see Joywave on a list. I went to middle school and high school with those guys. Me and Paul (the drummer) both started drum lessons in 4th grade - of course I got bored within months and now he drums for a living haha
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 18 thoughts

Despite playing on shuffle, the playlist placed M83, MGMT and Big Data one after another and they segwayed perfectly into one another. Love how things like that happen without intent.

Chien, Les Innocents - This was again a lovely, dream like song.

Geezer, Red City Radio - Very you, not very me. At times the guitars were OK, but not a fan of the vocals at all.

JohnErle, My Morning Jacket - The bluesy sound worked well with Jim James' vocals, but honestly, much prefer almost anything on Z to this, and it was way too long as I just drifted off a few times.

Leestu, The Smith Street Band - Much prefer this to the last song of theirs. Liked how it broke up the momentum of the song every so often with slower verses, before building up again to its climax.

Nspan, The Moldy Peaches - Great stuff, minimal, dirty punk sound reminiscent of the Detroit rock scene of the era, as well as a little Stooges/Beasties too.

Ron, M83, Screen, Big Data & Shryke, MGMT - Three songs that capture that time in music with lots of lovely synths and 80s vibes. Helps recall the chilled out vibes of summer every time.

Six, Sun Kil Moon - Lovely track, love how it builds wave upon wave musically and his vocals are delightful. This is the album of his I have most gotten into since you first introduced him to me years ago, I love the variety on the record, from this to Salvador Sanchez and Carry Me Ohio, all killer songs.

Tranny, letlive - Musically it was decent, vocally reminded me of the likes of Fall Out Boy and other emo bands of the early 2000s, which I was not so much a fan of.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Emma Stone, Audition (The Fools Who Dream) (2016)

Yeah, yeah, I know. This is a musical song that just works inside the film, if ever, for you. I don’t need the film, that song carries me and moves me without the film. This song is just magical to me, at the same time making me feel good and so damn melancholic. I’m dancing and crying on a cloud when listening to it. I have to correct every single damn video from YouTube with their lyrics though. The right lyric isn’t “Tumbled into the sand”, but “Tumbled into the Seine”, the river crossing Paris.

GEEZER

Lucero, Darby's Song (2002)

Long before they were one of my favorite bands, Lucero were merely a suggestion given to me by a friend. I went on youtube and listened to a few tracks, and this song was the first I fell truly in love with. It is, quite possibly, the most devastating song I've ever heard. The lyrics just cut me like a knife. I've never heard it live, nor will I. It's the one request they won't take. Ben actually can't get through playing it. He has said it's a miracle it ever got recorded. The sentiment in the song is 100% real, and that just makes it hurt even more listening to it. For a band that excels at slow, sad music, this song takes the cake.

JOHNERLE

... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Let It Dive (2005)

I wonder if this band ever regrets their admittedly awesome band name. They often shorten it to Trail Of Dead, which is easier to fit on a marquee, but that still seems like something that would turn off potential fans of their later work. It suited them perfectly during the early years, but this song could have been a radio hit if anyone would be willing to play a band with that name. I managed to get this song into heavy rotation on Radio Paradise, a hippie-friendly station far more likely to play Iron & Wine than Iron Maiden, and a common refrain in the comment section was disbelief that a band with that name would sound like this.

Also: The Rest Will Follow, Caterwaul

LEESTU

Deafheaven, Canary Yellow (2018)

First time I heard this song - strangely I think I like it. 2nd listen - I was right I do like this. 3rd listen - I was wrong...I friggin' love this. Incredible epic song, flawless transitions, the voice used like another instrument and a vehicle for the emotion, powerhouse drumming, great guitar riffs and melodies, and a chant to finish. One of the songs of the year for me.

NSPAN

Metric, Black Sheep (2010)

A perfect pop song. And the fact that it was used perfectly in a near-perfect film doesn't hurt neither.

RON B

Miike Snow, Genghis Khan (2016)

Too catchy for some.

SCREEN203

P!nk, Just Like A Pill (2001)

You will see a lot of P!nk in my next few picks. One of my first memories is listening to her in the car with my mom (we also listen to a lot Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga). This song I didn't really appreciate until I got older (which makes sense), but it has grown to be one of my favorites of hers. It has the emotion P!nk always puts into her songs, and I love the guitar in the background.

SHRYKE

Gorillaz feat. Mos Def and Bobby Womack, Stylo (2010)

Like my earlier pick of Fatboy Slim’s Weapon of Choice, this song is augmented heavily because of the sheer awesomeness of the video. If you’ve seen any Gorillaz video, you’re familiar with the characters that populate every one of them. In Stylo, they enter the 3-D world, speeding down a lonely desert highway after doing something… well, really bad, presumably. And then… enter Bruce Willis, Bruce Willising all over the place. It’s so OTT it’s hysterical, and the vocal tones of soul legend Bobby Womack narrating the action make it almost poetic. This just might be my favorite video of all time.

SIX

Wild Beasts, We Still Got the Taste Dancing On Our Tongues (2009)

I pretty much suffer from a permanent sense of FOMO, feeling never cool enough to be aware of the exclusive, cool events that seem to be happening around me. There’s something soothing about this song, an ode of being young and carefree, but musically tinged with a sense of nostalgia and sadness, particularly in the guitars. The lyrical lucidity reminds me of a young Morrissey, which is surprisingly rare to find in music since.

SURFER

Angel Olsen, Sister (2016)

Like many, I discovered Angel Olsen via Burn Your Fire For No Witness, a beautiful indie-folk record with plenty of the aforementioned fire. However, it was her follow up album where she really hit her stride. Expanding her palette and revealing herself at both her boldest and concentrated, My Woman was a huge leap in terms of both her applied lyrics and musicianship. And the stand out track from this stunning record was Sister, a ballad which is fuelled with burning emotions as the song goes through cycles of desperation, loneliness, determination and empowerment, all the while backed by rich instrumentation that builds and builds in support of such weathered emotions. It's a powerful song that captivates and ignites, and one which deserves repeated listens.

TRANSFORMERS

Kendrick Lamar feat. George Clinton and Thundercat, Wesley's Theory (2014)

While good kid, m.A.A.d city is my favorite release of Kendrick Lamar's, the show-stopping opener from good kid follow-up To Pimp a Butterfly is without question his finest track. Behind spacey yet massive keys that are interwoven with some of Thundercat's signature funky bass lines, Lamar addresses the exploitation of black artists with a level of wit, insight and potency that displays the full scope of his remarkable talent.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The Divine Comedy – I always thought these guys were from the 80s. I wasn't blown away by the singer, but everything else was magnificent. ADDED

Frank Turner – I didn't hear any Katy Perry in this but an awful lot of Billy Bragg. It's a solid maybe that could go either way, but why does he keep name-dropping Kanye? ADDED.

Sorority Noise – I recognized this instantly and thought it must have appeared earlier in the countdown, but then I searched for it and realized it had appeared in an album countdown years ago. I was pretty snotty about the band then, but less so about this song. I liked it a lot more this time around than I apparently did years ago. ADDED.

Phoenix – Nothing outside of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix ever seems to appeal to me.

Weezer – Haven't heard this in years, but it holds up really well.

Tinashe – Everything about this told me “don't click play, don't click play, don't look at her boobs...” Then I clicked play. It was respectable pop until that fucking rap. Damn you, boobs! Never trust a hot chick with a backwards baseball cap.

Rammstein – Since you have no problem admitting you paid to see xXx it's not surprising you'd admit to liking Rammstein. This was much better than I expected, but still not for me. Too artificial and slick.

Fell In Love With A Girl – An undisputed classic that was so overplayed I never want to hear it again as long as I live.

Savages – I know I've said this before, possibly about this band, but it doesn't seem to add anything new to its influences.

Machine Head – I was promised Maiden and Priest so I told myself I'd power through this even if I heard shouty demon vocals, then I heard the shouty demon vocals and bailed.

I find it really interesting how many of you said you thought Dick Around would work better as a stage musical. As it happens, Sparks have written a movie musical that was supposed to premiere at Cannes this year. It's called Annette, it stars Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard, and I expect all of you to go see it. And yet again I'll mention The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergmann, an hour long rock opera I can't recommend highly enough. If this countdown had been about albums, it probably would have cracked my top 20.

Danny Wilde – Didn't love it or hate it, but your picks almost always have good dynamics, so I can't remember the last time I pressed skip on one of yours. Maybe it's just because you rarely pick guitar rock, or maybe the good guys won the loudness wars in France.

Red City Radio – Not for me.

Smith St. Band – A solid maybe. For a few seconds I thought it was Frightened Rabbit who I'm going to have to toss into the also-rans thread if no one else picks them. ADDED

Moldy Peaches – I almost skipped this one based on how much I've hated this band's output in the past, but I gave it a shot and kind of enjoyed it until the r-word popped up. That was seriously un-woke. I checked to see how old this was and realized the album came out on September 11th, 2001. Awkward! Especially considering the title.

M83 – I had this one in heavy rotation on DRR, so obviously I like it. And I'd forgotten they did the original score for Tom Cruise's Oblivion. I've also forgotten what that movie was about. I'm getting old.

Big Data – Pretty good retro electronica. ADDED.

MGMT – This was a strong contender for my list. I figured it would be perfect for a mystery round so I kept bumping it higher and higher until it seemed too high so I cut it completely. I figured everyone here who would like it had already heard it.

Sun Kil Moon – I've listened to some of their (his?) stuff, and I even considered some from Among The Leaves, but this never grabbed me and was infinitely too long and repetitive.

Pile – Did nothing for me.

letlive.and.letdie – It started off as a not-stereotypically-Tranny pick, but then the machine gun kick drum and shouty lesser demon vocals kicked in. I made it all the way through this one because there was enough prog in it to keep me interested, but not to want to revisit it.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

And Geezer, I agree that it's gotten easier to figure out which pick belongs to whom, hence my strong showing in the last 2 mystery rounds. The hardest thing for me is having anything left to say when bands and songs make multiple appearances, or when my reaction to a song is exactly the same as a reaction I already had multiple times. 100 songs is a marathon and my enthusiasm for the whole endeavour has waned a few times, but hopefully I'll be fully engaged now that we've hit the top 20.

As for me, I take your opinion of my eclectic tastes as a great compliment, so thanks. I have been careful not to put too many similar-sounding songs back to back, and for bands who kinda always sound the same, I figured one song was enough. And if I'm going to pick multiple songs from the same band I usually focus on different kinds of songs to show they aren't one-trick ponies. For someone as eclectic as Steve Earle that's very easy, which is another reason why he'll appear more often than any other artist in my countdown. I think every song I plan to post from him sounds different from the one that came before, and that won't even capture the full extent of his range. He's adept at bluegrass, for example, but a bluegrass song would probably be the most hated song of the countdown, so I wouldn't waste a pick like that.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Great

Miike Snow, Genghis Khan - full of great hooks...this got played a lot in our house from our family playlists, and end of year playlists etc

The Very Good

Metric, Black Sheep - first listen...cool song...Metric have been on my radar to check out for a while

Lucero, Darby's Song - beautiful, bittersweet song, and on Mothers Day too

... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Let It Dive - first listen...yes I did not expect an easy to like britpop sound from what I've heard from them

Angel Olsen, Sister - I've tried a few Angel Olsen albums including this one, and I just don't get into them much, but this song is quite good, especially the second half

The Good

Wild Beasts, We Still Got the Taste Dancing in Our Mouths - first listen...nice enough song for a first listen

The Okay

Gorillaz feat. Mos Def and Bobby Womack, Stylo - either this is growing on me or, as you say, the video enhanced my enjoyment of the song

Kendrick Lamar feat. George Clinton and Thundercat, Wesley's Theory - where's King Kunta? easily my favourite Kendrick song!

The Meh

P!nk, Just Like A Pill - I've either heard this before it just sounds instantly familiar

The Rest

Emma Stone, Audition (The Fools Who Dream) - first listen, haven't seen the movie...it's very dramatic

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:47 pm

I find it really interesting how many of you said you thought Dick Around would work better as a stage musical. As it happens, Sparks have written a movie musical that was supposed to premiere at Cannes this year. It's called Annette, it stars Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard, and I expect all of you to go see it. And yet again I'll mention The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergmann, an hour long rock opera I can't recommend highly enough. If this countdown had been about albums, it probably would have cracked my top 20.
And more interestingly it's Leo Carax's long-awaited next film, after the brilliantly bonkers Holy Motors. Annette is one of my most anticipated films of the year.!
Last edited by numbersix on May 10th, 2020, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: It doesn't help that I don't like the movie (even less on the second viewing), nor songs like this that frequent musicals. Too maudlin for me, and Emma's vocals just aren't strong enough.
Geez: Definitely one of the stronger bands you've posted here. Pretty decent, earnest, moving song.
John: This really confuses me. Their first few albums were very hardcore, very noise-rock. This sounds like a completely different band. It sounds like Oasis!
Leetsu: I've given Deafheaven a good shot. I've even seen them live twice. I appreciate what they're doing with metal, and enjoy the post-rock elements, but the vocals are hard to enjoy. A band I definitely don't mind but can't quite love.
NSpan: A great film indeed. Not sure if this song would affect me if I didn't like the film so much. A little after the film I was at a friend's party and one of our other friends decided to mime-perform this song, trying her best to dance seductively around a room of people just standing and chatting. It was the most cringe-inducing thing I've ever seen.
Ron B: Not catchy enough for me, I'm afraid.
Screen: Never got Pink. She's got that punk look but makes fairly standard pop music. I guess she was a precursor to Avril Levigne and the likes. Not for me.
Shryke: I think I said it before, but all the elements are just too disparate to make it feel like a satisfying song, but I still dug it.
Surf: Shut Up Kiss Me almost made my list, and this is an incredible, epic song. Initially I was averse to the FM-Radio vibes of that record, but it definitely grew on me.
Tranny: Hm, it's a shame this is the track from the album that's highest on your list. I don't think it's a fair reflection of the record as a whole, and I've always considered it to be a decent tease to something greater and more profound. King Kunta, Alright, the Blacker The Berry, Complexion, all show a deeper side of this era-defining album. This is still good, but it just makes me salivate for the rest.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Lucero, Darby's Song
It's actually really pretty good, but the guy's voice and way of singing sounds like a parody though.

John, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Let It Dive
Pretty pleasant to listen to, but nothing that really catches my attention musically.

Leestu, Deafheaven, Canary Yellow
I hate the voice, impossible for me.

NSpan, Metric, Black Sheep
Ha ! Funny to se Metric now on someone's list. I had to look up to see what film this was from I'm afraid. I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim since theater, I thought it was vastly overrated back then, I'll need to give it another chance one day. Anyway I like that, good song, pop'n cool.

Ron, Miike Snow, Genghis Khan
Minor to me, I'll forget it quickly.

Screen, P!nk, Just Like A Pill
My girlfriend loves Pink for some reason, so I know her songs more than I would like too. This is one of her 2 or 3 songs I can listen to easily, even though I'm no fan.

Shryke, Gorillaz feat. Mos Def and Bobby Womack, Stylo
I've had a Gorillaz song in my list, but there are many songs of Gorillaz I'm not particularly fan of. I'm ambivalent towards this song. There's something groovy in it I like, and yet I'm not naturally inclined to like it. It's strange. Very mixed.

Six, Wild Beasts, We Still Got the Taste Dancing in Our Mouths
That's pretty nice. I like the voice indeed, and the rhythm too.

Surfer, Angel Olsen, Sister
I don't know, it's the second tie she appears I think ? I was unimpressed with her last time, and I must say I'm not much more impressed by this one. It picks up a bit at the end, with the guitar, and a certain delicacy finally appearing, but it's like the last 30 seconds for me. Before that, I find her music and voice a bit bland.

Tranny, Kendrick Lamar feat. George Clinton and Thundercat, Wesley's Theory
I'd rather listen to that than most of your meta songs, although I'm no fan either I'm afraid !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 6:41 am
Tranny: Hm, it's a shame this is the track from the album that's highest on your list. I don't think it's a fair reflection of the record as a whole, and I've always considered it to be a decent tease to something greater and more profound. King Kunta, Alright, the Blacker The Berry, Complexion, all show a deeper side of this era-defining album. This is still good, but it just makes me salivate for the rest.
Interesting. I couldn't disagree more. I feel that it's the perfect tone-setter both thematically and musically.

For reference purposes, everyone one of the other tracks with the exception of The Blacker the Berry, which is a bit overrated despite its powerful sentiment, that you listed are also among my top 5 favorites, so we're not completely at odds over the album's highlights.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan - Black Sheep - Don't know about perfect, but it's pretty darn stellar. Got a kind of 80's-Blondie-Berlin vibe about it, which kicks it up a couple of notches for me. 7.5/10

Ron B - Genghis Khan - Wow. That was catchy. Now I have to go catch myself.... 7.5/10

Geezer - Darby's Song - I echo what Leestu and Six said. Very good song. 7/10

Six - We Still Got the Taste Dancing On Our Tongues - This sounds so much like Erasure. Which means I like it. A lot. 7/10

JohnErle - Let It Dive - Quite a good listen, regardless of the band name. Like how it toned down in the last minute. 6.5/10

Surfer - Sister - Just okay for me. 6/10

Screen - Just like a Pill - I can take or leave P!nk. I left this one behind years ago. 5.5/10

Chien - Audition - Meh. Didn't float my boat. 5.5/10

Leestu - Canary Yellow - Well, I know ONE person in this group that'll probably go nuts for this song (cough Tranny cough cough), but it isn't me. 5/10

Tranny - Wesley's Theory - Not a fan of any song that uses the "N" word. That's just me. I'm not a Kendrick Lamar fan now, nor do I suspect I ever will be. Good to see George Clinton again, though. 4.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Tranny - Wesley's Theory - Not a fan of any song that uses the "N" word. That's just me. I'm not a Kendrick Lamar fan now, nor do I suspect I ever will be. Good to see George Clinton again, though. 4.5/10
There's a part in the album where Kendrick justifies the use of the n-word, reclaiming it and going back to its originals as an Africna word meaning royalty.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 6:27 am

And more interestingly it's Leo Carax's long-awaited next film, after the brilliantly bonkers Holy Motors. Annette is one of my most anticipated films of the year.!
Sparks had a song in Holy Motors, and in 2017 they wrote a song called When You're A French Director which Carax provided guest vocals on. I haven't seen Holy Motors but I should check it out.

And re: Trail Of Dead venturing into Oasis territory, you should hear the piece of Eastern European folk music that immediately follows this song. I like bands who surprise me.
Last edited by JohnErle on May 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Audition – It's no Dick Around, that's for sure. I think the other one worked better out of context. At times I expected Kermit The Frog to show up and break into The Rainbow Connection.

Lucero – You'll be thrilled to hear me compare this to Nick Cave, but this guy has another nails on a chalkboard voice for me. I just can't get past that.

Deafheaven – It sounds like one of Tranny's bands crashed the stage during an Explosions In The Sky concert. It's a weird mix that doesn't work for me, and even the parts I liked felt really derivative.

Metric – Hours before this appeared I was wondering if anyone would post any Metric and wishing I had included one earlier. I probably would have gone with Patriarch On A Vespa or Poster Of A Girl, but this is better than nothing.

Miike Snow – Now we know where the missing i from P!nk's name ended up. I kinda hated this, and sadly it wasn't an Iron Maiden cover.

P!nk – As pop singers go she's better than most, but I don't like this one.

Gorillaz – Hardly my favourite of theirs, but good.

Wild Beasts – My idea of cool is not giving a shit whether anyone thinks you're cool. Those bands with those allegedly cool gigs will almost always be considered uncool two years from now, so what's the point? I know I listened to Present Tense at some point but this one was new to me. Not bad, could go either way. ADDED for now.

Angel Olsen – I liked the very 60s, almost Crimson & Clover vibe in the music. It lost me a bit when the drums kicked in and I thought it was about to take off but it didn't, and I was about to give up when I realized there were three more minutes coming, but then it finally picked up and kept me invested. This could really grow on me, so ADDED.

Kendrick Lamar – Whoulda thunk Leestu would post the only shouty demon metal pick this round? I hated every second of this, but I'm willing to concede that maybe I'm just too old and too white to understand what the fuck is happening here. And I'm with Shryke. Rappers have been justifying their use of the n-word for decades. I still choose not to listen to anyone who uses it.