Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by transformers2 »

silversurfer19 wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Tranny, Children Of Bodom - Ha, this was insane. So much so I really enjoyed it. Would never listen to an album worth of it, but can definitely hear the appeal.
Holy shit! Guess I'm finally starting to break you down after 3 months pal ;) .
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Dare - Holy shit. :shock: Our FIFTH crossover. Didn't think going in I'd even have two with anyone! FIVE!! Great song (coming up soon on my list)! 10/10

JohnErle - The Talking Wind - Outstanding song. Loved the orchestral accompaniment especially. 7.5/10

Geezer - Show Me On the Doll where the Music Touched You - I don't fucking hate this (I'm not Six). In fact, it was quite good. Can't deny this song's feel-goodness! 7/10

Surfer - Scum, Rise! - Call me crazy, but this sounded a little 90's Depeche Mode-y. Joe's voice is nothing like David Gahan's of course, but my ear still made the connection. 6.5/10

Six - Parisian Goldfish - Pretty darn cool. Like the funky vibe, and the lack of vocals made it even better. 6.5/10

Screen - Crazy Boys - Just like with Geezer, you'll get no hate from me. Cool, catchy, great poppy beat. She looks like a young Mariah Carey (but I like her voice so, so much more).

Chien - Draw Your Swords - Really liked this. Love how it meanders for a while and then hits you like a hammer. 6.5/10

Leestu - I See Seaweed - Great guitar-work, but the song as a whole was a little too chaotic for me. 6/10

NSpan - Custom All the Way - Not into Frank's voice. 5.5.10

Tranny - Berzerker - God, I wish you'd post something with discerniable lyrics (that isn't gangsta rap) so I can give you a good review! Any more LDR coming up?? 4.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Gorillaz, Dare - my favourite Gorillaz song

The Excellent

Angus & Julia Stone, Draw Your Swords - yes I love how this song sets a mood, and then amps it up and takes you further in...anyone that likes this check out his solo project Dope Lemon too. Two great albums so far.

The Great

Red City Radio, Show Me On the Doll where the Music Touched You - first listen...I got into the energy and passion and enjoyed this a lot...great music and song writing

The Very Good

Protomartyr, Scum, Rise! - this is really good, but as I said before I think they get better with each album so far, so looking forward to the new album due out 29th May

Great Lake Swimmers, The Talking Wind - this is really nice, good quality song...very pleasing to the ear...listening to today's songs in order, to go from this peaceful chamber folk music and quality vocals to The Drones musical assault on the ears was quite a shift, although they are both poetic

Frank Black, Custom All the Way - first listen...this was interesting, I could get into this...I would like to explore his discography a bit more...I've only heard a few albums

The Okay

Flying Lotus, Parisian Goldfish - first listen...it was okay...I think they get more creative though judging by You're Dead, and Cosmogramma, the two albums I've heard

Owl City, Fireflies - just enough quirkiness to keep me interested

The Meh

After the Burial, Berzerker - first listen...no this was too much for me...I have noticed that if a genre has core at the end of it it's usually too much for me, hardcore at the beginning is fine though

The Rest

Rachel Stevens, Crazy Boys - first listen...I did my research, this is literally manufactured pop...I did listen to it all the way through though, and no thanks!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Simple and effective and lovely.
Geez: Simple and... that's it
John: The woodwind gave it a dream, airy (heh) feel.
Leetsu: Didn't know they were still going. I have Gala Mill which is okay. I enjoyed this song. Very post-rock, with a bit of Albini. Reminded me of Slint and the little known act Shipping News .
NSpan: It was very poppy compared to the Pixies (admittedly I don't have their Trompe Le Monde record). Not bad.
Ron B: One of the better Gorillaz tracks.
Screen: As manufactured pop goes, it's not the worst. I remember her solo attempt, but I think people saw through her pretty quickly and forgot her.
Shryke: I have to say, these were the worst lyrics I've heard in some time. It's like he's just randomly rhyming words. Not for me.
Surf: One of the best Protomartyr songs for sure. Love it and its world. Small world story: I've a friend in common with Joe Casey. Shannon, a woman from Detroit who did the same Masters in Film Studies that I did. In fact, Joe applied for the course with her, but didn't get it. Perhaps that rejection somehow contributed to his desire to become a singer (spoiler: it didn't).
Tranny: I liked the bit from 2:45 to 3:15.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 9:59 pm
Tranny - Berzerker - God, I wish you'd post something with discerniable lyrics (that isn't gangsta rap) so I can give you a good review! Any more LDR coming up?? 4.5/10
Maybe, but I can confirm that they'll be several more songs that lack discernable lyrics!

In all seriousness, please don't feel bad about not liking my picks. Metal in just about any form isn't especially easy or pleasant to digest if the core characteristics (screaming, breakneck guitarwork/drumming, generally noisy, chaotic atmospherics) of it don't appeal to you. You and everyone else are offering up honest takes on what you're hearing, which is how it should be. No one should feel compelled to apologize for not liking the same music as someone else.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Mercury Rev - Very cinematic and well-produced, but I'm not a fan of the singer.

Menzingers – The brother line will always make me think of your story, but apart from that it's still not doing anything for me. Hearing this immediately after Mercury Rev should at least help Leestu hear what over-compression sounds like.

Modest Meh – Meh

Danger Mouse – Too much bass at the expense of everything else. I only made it through about 20 seconds of the rapping. Officer McGillicuddy? Seriously?

Float On – The least meh thing they've ever done

Dog Days Are Over – Classic radio hit. A bit-over compressed, which is why I'm content to hear it on the radio now and again.

Cake By The Ocean – It's not as awful as a song with that title by a Jonas Brother might have been, but it's not for me. The f-bombs sound like a transparent attempt to prove he's more edgy than Hanson.

Silver Mt. Zion – I'd have to be in the right mood to enjoy it on its own, but it would work as a piece of film music. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Daniel Lanois' score to Sling Blade.

Mikael Cronin – Bedroom Indie Rock earworm. Feels instantly like something I've heard many times before, so I might be sick of it in a week.

Lana Del Rey – She always seems to be trying too hard and her voice ends up sounding forced and melodramatic. The music was solid though.

Juliette Armanet – It's not groundbreaking or earth-shattering, but it's a very pleasant listen. Does “la la la la” mean the same thing in French or does it sound like she's saying “the the the the”?

Thrash Unreal – Classic. The sense of empathy in this song was so surprising the first time I heard it.

Cable Ties - Not bad, if a bit familiar and a bit long.

There Is An End – Great retro production. The song feels pretty straight-forward and basic, but the overall sound makes it work.

Spoon – I heard this a lot back in the day but don't remember liking it this much.

Ne-Yo – I like to think I'm capable of appreciating songs in any genre, and I quite liked this after it got off to a slow start. I'd probably be embarrassed to listen to it in public, but I didn't mind hearing it at all.

Audioslave – This band always seems to be missing something. Namely, Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron, and Ben Shephard.

M.I.A. - I'm not immediately familiar with the Suicide song you mentioned, but since it's M.I.A. I naturally assumed it was stealing from someone, which prevented me from engaging with it.

Screaming Females – I know this was posted somewhere before and I'm sure my comment would have been the same if I made one. It's decent enough but it feels too been there, done that.

Children Of Ba-dom-tish – You say these guys are self-aware and deliberately corny, and I'd like to believe that's true, but if so the joke is lost on me. There was a lot of Iron Maiden and classic metal in that song, so I probably would have liked it a lot if not for the vocals, which still sound unintentionally silly to me. Do you have a link to any interviews or videos that prove the singer is in on the joke?

Angus & Julia Stone – Nice production, but the song just kind of sat there.

Red City Radio – The production is a little more appealing than a lot of your picks, but this may be the shoutiest shout-fest yet.

The Drones – I'm going to channel Geezer reviewing Six's picks and say Jesus Fucking Christ, what the hell was that?

Frank Black – Didn't really dig it. It got pretty Lou Reed there for a while.

Gorillaz – I love it every time I hear it but never have any desire to seek it out for whatever reason

Rachel Stevens – There's enough Goldfrapp in it to make it listenable, but I probably won't revisit it. The lyrics are too teeny-pop. And now that others have commented on her history, I know why.

Owl City – It started off well, but then it got too cheesy and was trying way too hard to be Death Cab For Cutie.

Parisian Goldfish – Another interesting backing track in search of a song.

Protomarytyr – I'll defer to Geezer on this one. At least it was short.

After The Burial – Same demon vocals, same snark. The music didn't make me think I was missing anything this time.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 10:30 am
Juliette Armanet – It's not groundbreaking or earth-shattering, but it's a very pleasant listen. Does “la la la la” mean the same thing in French or does it sound like she's saying “the the the the”?
Clearly the best question I've ever been asked here about the French language, and even though it's probably half a joke from you, I have to answer it.

La La La means the exact same thing in French. BUT. She isn't just singing "La La La La" at this moment of the song", but "Ah la la la la", which isn't the same thing. "Ah la la la" in French is one of those French expression that has no real equivalent in English and is close to "Oh la la la" or "Ouh la la la" in the meaning. I guess the closest thing in English might be "Oh boy...".

But at the same time, the title of the song is "A la folie", and her "Ah la la la" is sung just before she says "A la folie". So the two of them collide, "ah la la la la" and the "à la" of "à la folie" (to the madness, or wildly).

I know you now regret asking me this, John, but now you know more about the subtlelty of the French language. Ouh la la ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Sacre bleu! ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Red City Radio, Show Me On the Doll where the Music Touched You
Actually I really liked how this one started, like the first 30 / 40 seconds were really good. But then, less so.

John, Great Lake Swimmers, The Talking Wind
Hmmm, I really like the sound of this, but I wished there were more variations, it just stays on the same level too much. But it's pleasant.

Leestu, The Drones, I See Seaweed
Pretty intense song, a journey in itself like I can appreciate sometimes. Very interesting.

NSpan, Frank Black, Custom All the Way
You're right, it doesn't sound the Pixies. Pretty good stuff.

Ron, Gorillaz, Dare
I've put a Gorillaz song on my list, so obviously I like them. This is one of their most iconic I guess, and for sure it's a really cool song, excellent choice.

Screen, Rachel Stevens, Crazy Boys
I'll be honest, I was expecting worst. It's stil not something for me, but I guess it's listenable in the genre.

Shryke, Owl City, Fireflies
I wish I could say better, but it sounds bland, not my type.

Six, Flying Lotus, Parisian Goldfish
I was certainly expecting better from a song featuring the word "Parisian" in its title ;) I like the originality and how it builds, but it's too nightclubby for me.

Surfer, Protomartyr, Scum, Rise!
I like the sound of this. Not sure I wouldn't get tired of it quickly, but it's engaging.

Tranny, After the Burial, Berzerker
I'm still no fan of metal I guess.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 27 thoughts

Chien, Angus and Julia Stone - Lovely, unassuming song that I thoroughly enjoyed, a nice memorable melody too. That's a couple from these guys and I have enjoyed both.

Geezer, Red City Radio - I can see the appeal, there are a couple of good moments, particularly a great drum roll, but otherwise the vocals don't help the appeal for me.

JohnErle, Great Lake Swimmers - Nice and pleasant enough, but pretty forgettable already, didn't have anything to really hook me in.

Leestu, Not heard of these guys before, very interesting and will definitely explore more. Kind of felt like a little of Swans with the aforementioned Slint too. Good stuff.

Nspan - Black Francis - bar a couple of classic Black Francis moments in regards to lyrics and vocals, this just felt lacking in the music department, could have really used a guitar lick to keep me interested.

Ron, Gorillaz - It doesn't help that I have never been a fan of Shaun Ryder's vocals, but this has always been a pretty lacklustre Gorillaz track for me, felt they relied more on star power than an actual song of any quality.

Screen, Rachel Stevens - She was always fighting a losing battle as the 'pretty one' from S Club 7 to ever have a chance of being taken seriously, but this is just inoffensive pop that was marketed to appeal as a UK version of Katie Perry I felt.

Shryke, Owl City - I hope someone has called Ben Gibbard to collect his Postal Service royalties. Plagiarism aside, it's a nice enough song with nice vocals.

Six, Flying Lotus - This kind of electronic music just doesn't really grab me, completely passed me by as I was listening.

Tranny, After The Burial - After finally breaking me down after three months, in one fell swoop that inpenetrable wall has been raised again, just a real struggle unfortunately.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Archive, Again (2002)

Okay so here’s the thing with this song. You have to have 16 minutes of your time to give to its listening. This is the longest song on my list, and I know a shorter version of this song exists, I’ve listened to it while making this list, but hell, the 16 minutes album version is the version I’ve always listened and loved, so this is the version I list here.

There would be so many raves to make about that long, delicate, trippy song I’ve loved for almost two decades. But that song is a journey, so go and take it.

GEEZER

Dropkick Murphys, Captain Kelly's Kitchen (2005)

I promise this is the last Irish drinking punk song on my list. Its also my favorite Dropkick Muprhys song.

JOHNERLE

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Life (2006)

This song is a great example of how much this band's sound had evolved in a few short years. This might be my favourite album of theirs because they were suddenly using cleaner, more dynamic production, and they were still full of ideas.

Also: Stand In Silence, Naked Sun

LEESTU

Parquet Courts, Almost Had To Start A Fight / In and Out Of Patience (2018)

Two great songs for the price of one!

NSPAN

Clinic, Harmony (2002)

Bucking the trend of the dreaded "sophomore slump," Clinic's second album opens with this catchy track (which sets the pace for a thoroughly consistently album).

RON B

(I just realized, in Ron’s last two emails, he gave me his choices for 39-31 and 29-12. No #30. For the last few days, I’ve been posting his 29-12 list by moving each song from 29-26 down a notch. I’ve send him messages and emails but have not heard back yet. For now, I’m going to skip #26 until I hear from him, then resume #25 tomorrow.)

SCREEN203

Nelly Furtado, Say It Right (2006)

Nelly Furtado probably gives the best performance she's ever given here. The last minute or so of the song is particularly haunting, between Furtado's vocals and the creepy guitars that wouldn't be out of place in 80s slasher movie.

SHRYKE

Sean Kingston, Fire Burning (2009)

Probably the highest song on my list that I included just for its fast-paced groove and sheer dance-ability. It’s just so damn catchy that I find myself singing along every time I hear it. I really have nothing else to add to that.

SIX

Savages, Adore (2016)

Punk rock was always trying to oppose the system. In 1977 that opposition was to admit things really were shit and that offended most of the UK, it seems. In 2016 it was the norm to sound jaded and cynical if you had a guitar in your hands (even if you were a balladeer like Ed Sheeran or whoever, the sincerity was just a ruse). So it actually sounds somewhat shocking to hear Jehnny Beth sing that she adores life. It’s an act of bravely, of defiance, and the way it builds in the last minute, thanks to some cool guitar work from the ridiculously talented Gemma Thompson, is powerful and rousing.

SURFER

The Kills, Cat Claw (2002)

The Kills came out at both the best and worst time. It was a perfect time to be a two piece garage rock act, as instantly you were en vogue. However, at the same time you were not 'that' two piece garage rock act, and would always be compared as such. Which was a shame, as The Kills were awesome, especially so on the first couple of albums as the due oozed cool and mysterious just how all rock acts should. From their debut, Cat Claw is my favourite. A perfect marriage of VV's roughly brushed vocals bouncing off Hotel's descending strong of power chords, the song draws you in and spits you out by the time it reaches its chorus.

TRANSFORMERS

Coheed and Cambria, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) (2005)

My favorite track from my favorite Coheed and Cambria album. Claudio Sanchez's guitar tone here is immense and the whole song bristles with an electricity that I've always found to be incredibly infectious. Bonus points for telling the very relatable story of a possessed bicycle trying to convince a man to murder the love of his life. Absolutely hate when that happens!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: I left this one til last. I'm just relieved that I'm not the only one posting Lawrence of Arabia length epic songs! As for the music, it was okay - sounded a little too much like Pink floyd for me.
Geez: These boys really do have a formula, don't they.
John: Never heard anything from this record. I liked the song, though I can imagine fans of their previous work probably hate the reliance on piano here. I could have done without the female vocals at the end though.
Leetsu: Excellent choice/s - made my Top 100 as you know.
NSpan: Very Krautrocky. Decent stuff, better than what I used to think about their music. I should get this record.
Screen: Underwhelming. Maneater was her only decent song.
Shryke: Not something I'd ever listen to, but if you gotta dance, Shryke, you gotta dance.
Surf: I got this when it came out. Always felt it was decent but stood in the shadow of The White Stripes too much (and a lot of the other Detroit rock revival acts). This and Fuck the People are my favourites
Tranny: It's more restrained, at least.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Archive, Again - first listen...oh wow! that was incredible...like a modern day Pink Floyd...this is easily my favourite first listen so far, and I will be adding the album and checking out more of this band I've never heard of before

The Great
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Life - first listen...I should listen to more of this band because this was great!

The Very Good

Savages, Adore - cool song from a cool album...I prefer The Answer or T.I.W.Y.G. but that's me, not that they are better songs

Clinic, Harmony - first listen...a cool atmospheric but upbeat, rhythmic beat and some interesting sounds...I liked it

The Good

The Kills, Cat Claw - first listen...I would probably enjoy a whole album of this rather than as a standalone track

Coheed and Cambria, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) - first listen...that was very listenable

Dropkick Murphys, Captain Kelly's Kitchen - a little bit of silly fun

The Okay

Nelly Furtado, Say It Right - first listen...not bad, interesting beats, a bit moody and I don't mind that

The Meh

Sean Kingston, Fire Burning - not my sort of party song but I can see the appeal for those that like this sort of thing

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu - Almost Had To Start A Fight / In and Out Of Patience - For two songs, this was way too short! Totally got into it! 8/10

Screen - Say It Right - Very good song. One of the better pure pop songs you've had. 7.5/10

Tranny - Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) - I could understand the lyrics, so therefore I liked this quite a bit more. Good song. 7/10

Six - Adore - Whoa, that was intense! Love the buildup, and the vocals/guitars mesh perfectly together. Excellent choice. 7/10

Surfer - Cat Claw - I read the description too fast and thought I was going to get a song by The Killers. Ten seconds in, though, I was like WTF? Anyway, good song. Very raw and garage-y. 6/10

Geezer - Captain Kelly's Kitchen - Well, yeah... that was... that. Bottoms up! 6/10

JohnErle - Life - Just okay for me. 5.5/10

NSpan - Harmony - Didn't do anything for me. 5.5/10

Chien - Again - Sorry, buddy, this sounded like 16 minutes of background noise to me. 5/10