Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Lose Yourself - This song came so, so close to making my list. Great choice. 9/10

Geezer - Recovery - Think I've heard this one before. I liked it then, liked it now. 7.5/10

JohnErle - Hey, No Pressure - Listened to this a few times. It grew on me with each listen. Good song. 7/10

Leestu - Float On - I agree in part with everything you said about this song. While I'm not as high on it as, what, FOUR of you are, it is a good song. 6.5/10

NSpan - I Want the Mic - Not bad at all. Like this laid-back hip-hop, like Skee-lo. 6/10

Will finish up tomorrow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Eminem, Lose Yourself - now I feel justified in guessing this song for Chien in the #50 mystery round...interesting that both this and Float On were in the #50 mystery pick round together, and here they are together again at #24

The Great

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Sorrowful Wife - it may have disappointed many at the time but I think this album gets a lot of respect now...this is one of the better songs from it for sure, but after a slowish start the middle of the album (from Fifteen Feet... to this song) is very strong imo

Ray Lamontagne, Hey, No Pressure - really like the psychedelic Pink Floydian vibe here...from a great album, my favourite of the three of his I've heard

Volbeat feat. Neil Fallon, Die to Live - first listen...well this was pretty great... a bit of a fusion of styles but mainly modern rockabilly with a bit of old style rock 'n' roll...a lot of energy and a fun vibe

The Very Good

Frank Turner, Recovery - first listen...I haven't heard much of his work but I like what I've heard...more of an indie rock feel to this than most of your pop punk picks, and good to hear another accent that isn't American or American-Irish

Elliot Smith, Somebody That I Used To Know - first listen...I was late to the party too...heard three of his albums so far now, with the self titled my favourite...short and bittersweet and full of pain

Grizzly Bear, 2 Weeks - it's more pop than folk, some say psychedelic pop, but I see it as more indie pop with a chamber pop influence, but none of that really matters...it's a bit of a strange song really, some sweet harmonies but a melancholic vibe...and that video weirds me out a bit

The Okay

Protest the Hero, C'est La Vie - doesn't stand out in the prog metal field to me, but it's not too bad

Dan the Automator, I Want the Mic - first listen...it was okay...the beats reminded me of Cypress Hill era hip hop

The Meh

Tinashe, All Hands On Deck - first listen...I think I worked out what the song is about :lol:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: I suspected this might turn up on your list. I'll always say it, but when he tries to be serious he's never that convincing.
Frank Turner: There's not even punk in here, it's just pop. Didn't work for me
John: Liked the bluesy rhythm going on here. I drifted away throughout but it was still decent.
Leetsu: Great song. I know som MM fans who hate this, but they can suck it. This song got them on daytime radio and I'd rather hear this than some mindless rubbish.
NSpan: Gotta get me this record. Oh, and I see that he also produced Primal Scream's best album XTRMTR!
Ron B: A surprise choice from you. Beautiful song. Love the vocals. Considered it for my list.
Screen: As much as I enjoyed the writhing in the video, the song itself was forgettable.
Shryke: You got me all fired up with the description, but mostly it's just pop-punk with a dash of sax. I appreciate the ambition to shake things up, though.
Surf: I kinda forgot Smith released music this millennium, and what great music. This is a beaut. One of my biggest musical regrets is not seeing him play in Dublin in 2001 or so, when I had the chance. I did go to the wall in LA where that wall mural from the Figure 8 is!
Tranny: At least it was under 4 mins!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Dropkick Murphys, Captain Kelly's Kitchen
It does sound like your kind of songs. I didn't know Dropkick Murphy's, and I wouldn't on my own, but I suppose if I'm in a pub in Boston, it would fit alright.

John, ..And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Life
Meh, didn't do much for me.

Leestu, Parquet Courts, Almost Had To Start A Fight / In and Out Of Patience
It's alright, it's fast it's short, but I didn't get caught by it.

NSpan, Clinic, Harmony
Not bad. I'll probably give in another go to see if it could stay with me.

Screen, Nelly Furtado, Say It Right
I remember her song torn from the 90's cause it was a big hit back then, but I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard anything from her properly in the last 20 years. And I won't again, I guess.

Shryke, Sean Kingston, Fire Burning
I can understand why would love a song just for the sheer groove and dance-ability, but it really doesn't fit that spot for me.

Six, Savages, Adore
Best of the round by a mile. Didn't know her. Really interesting, and I love that last minute you mention.

Surfer, The Kills, Cat Claw
Meh, sounds like so many other things without having something to distinguish it, I feel.

Tranny, Coheed and Cambria, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)
Way easier to listen to than most of your stuff. I till don't like it, mind you, but I could listen to it properly !

Ron, Gotye, Learnalilgivinanlovin
Pretty listenable. Not something I'd listen to again, but it's alright.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

There's no point in me commenting on Eminem or Kendrick Lamar at this point, so on with the rest:

Sum 41 – Less shouty and more poppy, still not for me. I can see how it would have lead you to all those other bands, though. And I'm even more convinced you should check out a Canadian band called Treble Charger.

The Rapture – The over-wrought screaming was intolerable. They've done way, way better.

Leona Lewis – It's manufactured pop, but at least it's well-manufactured. I might secretly enjoy it if I heard it in a food court, but I'd never listen to it on purpose.

Brandi Carlisle – Before the Coronapocaplypse it was announced that she would be headlining the Saturday lineup of the Burnaby Blues & Roots festival this summer while Steve Earle was given the less prestigious Friday night headlining spot, which, of course, seemed outrageous to me. I bought a ticket for Friday and skipped the weekend pass. Carlisle always sounds more radio-friendly than authentic to me. Not Taylor Swift or Shania Twain, but more like Sheryl Crow or Melissa Etheridge. This was okay, but unremarkable, and I didn't believe a second of it. She was 27 when she did this, so she wasn't old enough to have either lines on her face or stories.

Deerhunter – The intro was fantastic, so much so that I was sorely disappointed by the sudden gear change, and the outro wasn't enough to win me back. This was about half a great song.

Lykke Li – My first exposure to her was through a quirky little song called Dance, Dance, Dance which was terrific. This sounds like a completely different artist without an ounce of quirkiness. Not for me

Ty Sabbath – Tony Iommi's lawyers agree you've been a bad boy, Ty Segall. As blatant rip-offs go I quite enjoyed it, even though I felt guilty the whole time. Give me the originators, not the imitators.

I have nothing left to say about Eminem or Float On. As for the rest:

Recovery – I'm glad we can agree this deserves to be ranked above The Dropkick Murphys. I've never liked him enough to check out a full album, but that song is really good.

Two Weeks – This was better than I remembered. I think maybe other songs must have turned me off to them as a band, but that was good stuff.

Tinashe – Ugh.

Volbeat – I can't believe something so hair metal was a recent hit. It sounds like Poison circa 1987, which means part of me wanted to like it, but don't tell anyone.

Nick Cave – Some voices are just nails on a chalkboard. Nick Cave nearly always makes me reach for the mute, which is a shame because he's a fine songwriter. The man just has no business singing.

Elliott Smith – I haven't listened to him in ages, but there's a nice Simon & Garfunkel vibe in this one. For once I can complain about you guys picking a song that's too short!

C'Est La Vie – Fuck me. I liked that. A lot. That's my kind of proggy, demon-free metal. I've heard of them before but didn't realize they were Canadian! Fuck me twice!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 24 thoughts

Decent round, including a couple of crossovers!

Chien, Eminem - This is also becoming quite a popular song on here, and I like how Eminem started to broaden his appeal a little at this point by adding in more guitars etc.

Geezer, Frank Turner - Didn't we have. Frank Turner song earlier? Think I preferred that one, this was a little too much into the pop sector for me to appreciate, though can see why it appeals.

JohnErle, Ray Lamontagne - His name always sounded like something my mum would listen to, so have never really listened to anything of his work, but this was OK, if nothing to blow my mind.

Leestu, Modest Mouse - Will never get tired of the weirdness of this lovely pop song.

Nspan, Dan The Automator - Not one of the stand outs from the 53 Dan The Automator tracks you have listed thus far...

Ron, Grizzly Bear - Great to see someone else recognise the true beauty of this song, a wonderful exhibition of what you can do with music.

Screen, Tinashe - Not for me.

Shryke, Volbeat - I didn't know guitars were back in vogue in the charts, so that was a surprise. Didn't really appeal, but can see why you may like this kind of rocking pop.

Six, Nick Cave - Surprised that despite, as you say, this is an album that has never really received the praise it deserves, that a couple of us have actually picked tracks from it rather than something from his more acclaimed catalogue. Great song, prefer my own pick, but this builds up wonderfully.

Tranny, Protest The Hero - Was more accessible than some of your picks, but didn't really draw me in either.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

CHIEN
Eminem, Lose Yourself (2002)
Definitely an interesting blend of genres. Catchy, too. I don't particularly like Eminem, but I see the appeal of this track.

GEEZER
Frank Turner, Recovery (2013)
Punky poppy folky... this song definitely feels elevated from the usual "watered down" result I oftentimes see in this particular mix of musical styles. I liked it. Lots of fun

JOHNERLE
Ray Lamontagne, Hey, No Pressure (2016)
I've been aware of this guy and his music for a long time, but this track was new to me. It had a cool groove to it. Me likey. Quite a bit, too

LEESTU
Modest Mouse, Float On (2004)
It's hard to deny the appeal of this. I personally think Modest Mouse might have a few songs better than this one, but not many. And easily "digestible" is a good descriptor to help explain its mass appeal. Good stuff

RON B
Grizzly Bear, 2 Weeks (2009)
This never completely grabbed me, but I found the entire song quite pleasant. I kinda missed this band at their peak, but I vaguely recall people comparing them to the beach boys? I hear it.

SCREEN203
Tinashe, All Hands On Deck (2014)
Trying to be open-minded, but this particular track just wasn't for me.

SHRYKE
Volbeat feat. Neil Fallon, Die to Live (2019)
I believe I was introduced to Volbeat during a previous Reel Society music countdown. Was it Geezer, maybe? Anyway, these guys have some fun sounds going on, for sure

SIX
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Sorrowful Wife (2001)
I don't believe I've heard this one before (or, if I have, it's been a minute). I love the early 2000s era of his work. He did some amazing soundtracks/scores. This song was great.

SURFER
Elliot Smith, Somebody That I Used To Know (2000)
Love Elliott Smith. This song is very good. I have major nostalgia for his voice and instrumentation.

TRANSFORMERS
Protest the Hero, C'est La Vie (2011)
I'm not always in the mood for proggy metal... but you caught me at the right time. I enjoyed this
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#24 Part Deux

Ron B - 2 Weeks - Agree with Spanny, quite Beach Boysy (Boise?). Quite pleasant and fun. 7/10

Tranny - C'est La Vie - WORDS! Lovely, Beautiful WORDS! And the guitars were cool! 6.5/10

Screen - All Hands on Deck - Not too bad. I got into it by the second half. Not sure I'd return to it, but thanks for the listen. 6.5/10

Surfer - Somebody That I Used to Know - The vocals just felt weird to me. Didn't grab me one way or the other. 5.5/10

Six - The Sorrowful Life - I'm with John. Loved the piano, hated the vocals. He sounds like David Bowie after gargling salt water. 5/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

M, Qui de nous deux? (2003)

M, aka Matthieu Chedid, is a French musician who emerged in the late 90’s early 00’s. His style has evolved along the years, and I prefer the early M. “Qui de nous deux ?” (“Which of the two of us?”) is by far my favourite song of his, but I’ll be honest, the guitar makes for most of my love for this song. There’s that glorious intro, obviously, but I love how he takes the sound of that guitar and builds the song around it, using the guitar almost as a voice. I won’t translate lyrics this time, because honestly, even in French, I’ve never really listened to what he was saying as it doesn’t matter.

GEEZER

The Gaslight Anthem, Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts (2008)

We're definitely at the point in the countdown where nothing on my list is going to surprise anyone. Everything at least represents some part of my elemental taste. This is a slow Gaslight Anthem song, reminiscent of a lot of the slower songs I've posted. If you are a fan of them, you might like this. I find the lyrics beautiful and meaningful, which is going to be another theme of the large majority of my remaining songs.

JOHNERLE

Iron & Wine, Woman King (2005)

Like the EP he made with Calexico, this one represents a transitional period for Sam Beam between his early sound and the more elaborate, full band approach of later Iron & Wine. I like both eras, but I tend to gravitate towards the earlier stuff.

LEESTU

The Smith Street Band, Young Drunk (2012)

The debut single from this folk punk band that have become one of my favourite bands to see live. Always great lyrics, passionate singing, and quality song writing.

NSPAN

Spoon, The Underdog (2007)

You got no time for the messenger
Got no regard for the thing that you don't understand
You got no fear of the underdog
That's why you will not survive

RON B

Interpol, Obstacle 1 (2001)

First heard it while playing Guitar Hero. Love the guitar and drums.

SCREEN203

Alanis Morissette, Hands Clean (2002)

Initially, from the melody alone, you probably wouldn't know this was Alanis. It's too summery, too light. This was the one that signaled the upbeat musical direction that contrasts probably the darkest lyrics of her career, of my favorite album of hers (yes, I think it's better than Jagged Little Pill), this one in which the title originates from. Coming up in the top 10 is a song later in the album that chronicles her attempts to suppress the trauma she faces here.

SHRYKE

Depeche Mode, Freelove (2001)

It sucks that the coronavirus delayed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I’ve been waiting for DM to get in for the past decade, and now that they have, I want to savor the moment – when it happens. This is the band responsible for my favorite song of all time (“Enjoy the Silence”) and while their stuff this millennium has never, and will never be as good as their 80’s and 90’s stuff, Exciter was still a damn good album. This is the best song from it, a sultry ballad that seamlessly blends David Gahan’s vocals with Martin L. Gore’s smooth guitar. Congrats on your achievement, guys. You’ve earned it.

SIX

Radiohead, Idioteque (2000)

In the late 90s the idea of listening to electronic music was just impossible for this kid who grew up on grunge and Britpop and considered anything without guitars to be dance-floor techno junk. While there were a number of reason why I finally got it, Radiohead certainly contributed with their surprising fourth album Kid A. Shunning guitars for a lot of it, it essentially now sounds naïve and unsophisticated. Yet it is still a great vehicle for Thom Yorke’s abstract lyrics about alienation, particularly this track, that is unrelenting in its anxiety.

SURFER

Perfume Genius, Dark Parts (2012)

I have been following Mike Hadreas since Put Yr Back In 2 It was released almost a decade ago now, and while his sound has grown as his confidence as an artist has increased, I still find myself returning to this record over and over for its fragile and tender nature. I could have picked pretty much any song to convey the atmosphere of the record, but Dark Parts stands out for me most as he delicately speaks of his mother's abuse suffered as a child at the hands of his grandfather. Its a powerful song, and as you hear him sing, 'I will take the dark part of your heart into my heart' as the music swells, you can truly sense the care and devotion he feels for his mother after what she endured to bring him into this world. A really beautiful song.

TRANSFORMERS

Death Grips, The Fever (Aye Aye) (2012)
As maximalist and aggressive as Death Grips' The Money Store is from start to finish, "The Fever" is the apex. MC Ride sounds like he's out for blood and the instrumentation hits with the force of a mortar shot.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

Interpol, Obstacle 1 - the first Interpol song I heard and they haven't topped it since, although this whole album is really good

Radiohead, Idioteque - it took me a while to get into this album having come from Pablo Honey days, but there are some great songs on there as well as this one...although have I mentioned beofre that I prefer Amnesiac to Kid A?

The Great

Death Grips, The Fever (Aye Aye) - first listen...I love how hard and unsettling they were with their experimental instrumentation...should get around to this album

Perfume Genius, Dark Parts - a moving song, beautifully done

The Very Good

Iron & Wine, Woman King - first listen...really enjoyed the sound of this, and I got caught up in the song from halfway through, which is a good thing for a first listen

Depeche Mode, Freelove - nice sultry altmospher...one of their better songs of the millennium

Spoon, The Underdog - quite enjoy this one, I'm liking it more after a few listens over time

The Good

The Gaslight Anthem, Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts - first listen...I can see the appeal of this song and I'm sure with it's heart it would be a grower too

M, Qui de nous deux? - first listen...that was strangely interesting...unusual use of a banjo in a catchy pop rock song like this

The Okay

Alanis Morissette, Hands Clean - first listen...decent enough Alanis song to not mind listening to it

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Which guitar are you talking about? The rhythm running throughout or the banjo? If the former I like that sound too, and you can hear it anywhere from The Clash's London Calling to Fontaines DC's Sha Sha Sha. This wasn't bad.
Geez: It was okay. I'd rather be listening to The Boss.
John: Really enjoyed this. It was understated but there was tension in the rhythm and loved the occasional burst of electric guitar.
Leetsu: Now I can't give Geez a hard time about half of his list being the exact same song, and let you get away with it. This is just the same ol pop punk, musically bland as hell. Really didn't like it.
NSpan: It was okay, but I've preferred the other Spoon choices by a mile.
Ron B: Thank you, Guitar Hero. This comes from one of my favourite albums of all time. Love the way the guitars interact, and that bassline is just great.
Screen: The story behind the song is interesting, but musically and vocally it sounds exactly like what she did in Jagged Little Pill. But worse.
Shryke: Probably my favourite from latter-day Depeche Mode. It's very subdued but it works. Good choice.
Surf: I do prefer more confident Perfume Genuis, but this is still beautiful, wonderous, magical music.
Tranny: Excellent song. Love its aggression and weirdness. The Money Store is on my To Get list.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 23 thoughts

Another round of real quality, definitely seeing an improvement as we approach the climax of it all. Another more in the way of crossovers too!

Chien, M - At first I thought I was listening to a French cover of Inxs' Mystify, but obviously that was not the case. Great rhythm to it, though very much enjoyed it.

Geezer, The Gaslight Anthem - Good song, has a Replacements vibe to it, which is always very welcome.

JohnErle, Iron & Wine - Lovely song, vocals reminds me of Gomaz, confirmed I need to start listening to this band a lot more.

Leestu, The Smith Street Band - Have seen you mention these guys a few times on Facebook so gave them a chance, but just don't appeal. Suspect them may be a better bet live.

Nspan, Spoon - This song is familiar, has a fun beat to it, enjoyed it lots, brass section and hand claps included.

Ron, Interpol - Think this was most people's introduction to the band from their superb record, and it is still great.

Screen, Alanis Morissette - Not an Alanis fan, and not a fan of the song, as while the lyrics may indeed be a little darker than expected, the music is so cheery and dull I really can't find any interest to listen further.

Shryke, Depeche Mode - Never got around to picking up Exciter, so obviously I am umfamiliar with this song, but thoroughly enjoyed its slowed down tempo.

Six, Radiohead - Still a fascinating and edgy song, glad to see it appear again.

Tranny, Death Grips - Prefer the off kilter music to the vocals which are a bit off putting.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Really good round (mostly).

Screen - Hands Clean - I like or love most of Alanis's stuff, so this was very welcome. And there's nothing wrong with summery. 8/10

Surfer - Dark Parts - I'm becoming a PG fan. This was exceptional. 7.5/10

Geezer - Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts - This was very good. Very relaxing and laid back. 7/10

NSpan - The Underdog - This was really freaking cool. Listened to it three times. Loved the horns! 7/10

Ron B - Obstacle 1 - Interesting song. Loved the alt-vibe of the guitars, and the vocals were cool. 6.5/10

Leestu - Young Drunk - I imagine this would be a great song live. On first listen, it was decent. 6/10

Chien - Something in French - Pretty good. It does sound like Mystify! 6/10

JohnErle - Woman King - Liked it. Good bluesy feel. 6/10

Tranny - The Fever - Needed more cowbell. :lol: :lol: :lol: 5.5/10

Six - Idioteque - Did not like this song a week ago, don't like it now. I'd rather listen to U2's Discotheque than this. (Yeah, I said it.) 4/10

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Frank Turner, Recovery
Better than most of your stuff, definitely easy to listen to.

John, Ray Lamontagne, Hey, No Pressure
Not bad, but way too long for a song that doesn't evolve and stays in the same texture all along.

Leestu, Modest Mouse, Float on
I'm glad I can listen to it again, definitely a fun song, very good.

NSpan, Dan the Automator, I Want the Mic
Meh, not my type

Ron, Grizzly Bear, 2 Weeks
Yeah, it's pretty sweet and fun. Pretty forgettable too, but alright.

Screen, Tinashe, All Hands On Deck
Didn't know her or the song. So I guess my general culture is higher thanks to this song. But I didn't like it.

Shryke, Volbeat feat. Neil Fallon, Die to Live
You sure have eclectic tastes, and that's a compliment. Too bad most of the time, I'm not into your tastes !

Six, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Sorrowful Wife
Beautiful song. I must confess I still have a lot to explore in Nick Cave's work.

Surfer, Elliot Smith, Somebody That I Used To Know
I discovered Smith when I was 16 in the 90's, and I feel his best work is from that decade, but it's always nice to hear him.

Tranny, Protest the Hero, C'est La Vie
Couldn't hear them speak in French in the song, but I didn't go all the way through it I must confess.
Fluctuat nec mergitur