Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by Chienfantome »

Man, what a strange round. I felt all along that I was this close to getting them all, and all it took was Shryke picking something that sounded like a John pick to threw it half of it away.
I'm amused no one thought Lykke Li was my pick, but in all honesty, I would have made the same mistake as you had I been in your shoes, guys.

So, Geezer, Sum 41, like everyone else I guess, this was a no brainer. I'm not a fan of Sum 41, unfortunately.

John, The Postal Service. My first instinct was to think this was yours, but when I heard Brandi Carlile, I thought, heck, only John could have picked that one. That's where Shryke got me all confused. That Postal Service is great actually. I gave it to Surfer, because he was actually the only one, when I posted the other Postal Service song, to hint that he really liked the band and could have put a song of theirs in his own list.

Leestu, Ty Segall : Yeah, that was an easy one too. And a great song. I don't know Segall that much, but I should look further.

NSpan, Holy Golightly : the easiest guess to make :lol: Not a bad song, just not really my type.

Ron, Eminem : I really couldn't see anything else you could have chosen. It's a great song too.

Screen, Leona Lewis : It seemed obvious, but I really couldn't picture Shryke picking anything else, so that was a mistake. Not my kind of song.

Shryke, Brandi Carlile : Damn you Shryke. Without that choice, I might have made the grand slam. I can see the appeal of the song, it's not really my kind but there's something in it, definitely.

Six, Deerhunter : I really thought this was you, couldn't really see anyone else, but the domino effect of Brandi Carlile made me put you on The Rapture. I wasn't familiar with Deerhunter, makes me want to listen more of them.

Surfer, The Rapture : The Rapture was one of the possibilities for you, but you really seemed like you could have chosen Postal Service. Pretty solid song.

Tranny, Kendrick Lamar : Well, I had no doubt about that one. Without any metal or Ariana Grande in display, that was the natural candidate ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

transformers2 wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Chien picking Lykki Li is honestly the single biggest Mystery Round surprise to me yet. I've heard a fair amount of her stuff in the past and it's right in Screen's wheelhouse, so I figured that was a lock (it was actually the pick besides Geezer's and Leestu's that I was most confident about). Guess I know how you guys felt when I picked Ariana Grande earlier...
:lol: I'm glad I could provide such a shock to you, Tranny ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 25 thoughts

Not bad, just mixed up Chien and John, and Shryke and Screen.

Chien, Lykke Li - Not familiar with this song, only ever listened to the I Never Learn album which I enjoy. Nice rhythm and melody to this song and her voice is lovely.

Geezer, Sum 41 - I remember my brother, who does not like punk (he is more of a trance or Oasis fan), bought this album. I was in despair that he thought this punk but had dismissed the 70s 'authentic' punk I was listening to at the time. Time has passed and I realised that it was probably my brother's attempt to connect through music that led to him buying the album, while my issue with the band has wained as I can see they were just a group of guys having fun even if their sound was definitely closer to the pop sound of pop punk. So while not for me, it has actually led to a rather nice dose of nostalgia.

JohnErle, The Postal Service - While Such Great Heights is probably my favourite from the record, this is OK, though much poppier than anything else on the album. Has a nice beat to it, almost sounding like a childlike version of New Order at times with a kids keyboard.

Leestu, Ty Segall - Any Segall is pretty much guaranteed to be good, and this is no different. I liked the variety he brought to this record, Hot Chocolate cover included. This song has a cool 70s vibe to it and Segall really lets loose on it more than any other moment on the record.

Nspan, Holly Golightly - That was pretty decent, if unspectacular.

Ron, Eminem - I remember hating this when it was first released, but over time as I hear more hip hop, I kind of appreciate what he was doing both in terms of lyrics and music. He also subverted the notion of who the genre could appeal to and in doing so built his own audience.

Screen, Leona Lewis - Another UK wannabe trying to emulate US megastars, this time trying to imitate Whitney as best as possible. Never appealed to me, she just seems a little meek

Shryke, Brandi Carlile - Think I had Belinda Carlisle in my head when I was about to listen to this. Not like her at all!
Like a rockier pop song with some country leanings? She has a nice voice I guess, but not really grabbing me. .

Six, Deerhunter - To be honest I don't really listen to this era of Deerhunter too often. I have really only invested in his work since Halcyon Digest. This is great though, perhaps more conventional than his later work, but still great.

Tranny, Kendrick Lamar - I have preferred earlier Kendrick Lamar picks to be honest, didn't really stand out.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:11 pm
John, The Postal Service. My first instinct was to think this was yours, but when I heard Brandi Carlile, I thought, heck, only John could have picked that one. That's where Shryke got me all confused. That Postal Service is great actually. I gave it to Surfer, because he was actually the only one, when I posted the other Postal Service song, to hint that he really liked the band and could have put a song of theirs in his own list.
There were a few times during this countdown when I avoided commenting in order to maintain a sense of surprise for future rounds, cunning fiend that I am. I'm pretty sure your Postal Service pick was one of those times.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, John, if I'm RS's Edmund Blackadder, you're definitely my Baldrick. Or something like that.

The consensus seems to be no more Mystery Rounds, so we'll close the book on that. WTG John, you get to go out on top. Or something like that.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

That was literally the song on my list that had the greatest chance of stumping anyone. Every other song is either from an artist I've already featured, or one you already know is going to appear on the list.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Every single one of these songs went to either my first or second choice and I still only got 4 right. I was just stone cold sold on Leona Lewis being Shryke, Eminem was a toss up between Ron and Tranny and I went the wrong way (I know Tranny had it really high back in the day, which pushed me that direction, despite Ron giving it a 9 when it was previously posted). If I had just gotten those three right, I would have nailed this perfectly, but alas, snowball effect got me again.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I've actually grown an incredibly deep disdain for Eminem over the past 8 years or so. Not only his new stuff is embarrassing, just about all of the shit I loved from him when I was younger drives me insane now. His whole schtick is basically just what would happen if the Insane Clown Posse woke up with legit technical skills and access to a thesaurus.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - The Real Slim Shady - My #99. Obviously, I love this song. 9.5/10

Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened - I liked this, and I can't even put my finger on why, so I won't even try. 7/10

Geezer - Fat Lip - I like the song, but listening to it now sounds like they were trying overmuch to emulate the Beastie Boys. 6.5/10

Leestu - She - Pretty bitchin' guitars. Wow, that's like the first time I've said that word in 15 years. Gnarly, man! 6.5/10

Chien - I Follow Rivers - For a split-second, I wondered if this song was about a girl who adored Weezer so much she followed them on tour. Aaaaanywaaaaaay, good song. 6.5/10

JohnErle - We Will Become Silhouettes - Kinda liked it, will likely forget it in an hour. 6/10

Screen - Bleeding Love - I do like Leona. In fact, I have a song of hers coming up, VERY near the top (if you've followed my author career, you might even know what snog it is). But this song... doesn't really do it for me. I get why a few of you thought this was mine, but darn near EVERYBODY? Wow. 5.5/10

NSpan - Carpet of Horses - Just okay for me. 5/10

Tranny - m.A.A.d city - Not my thing. 4.5/10

Surfer - House of Jealous Lovers - Liked the guitars, loathed the vocals with the fire of a thousand suns. 4/10

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

transformers2 wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:34 pm
I've actually grown an incredibly deep disdain for Eminem over the past 8 years or so. Not only his new stuff is embarrassing, just about all of the shit I loved from him when I was younger drives me insane now. His whole schtick is basically just what would happen if the Insane Clown Posse woke up with legit technical skills and access to a thesaurus.
NOW you tell me

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just as a matter of bookkeeping, Ron B has asked me to slide this in as his #26.

Tranny, make sure you put this in when you do the thread-end list.

Gotye, Learnalilgivinanlovin (2006)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Deerhunter, Nothing Ever Happened - my favourite Deerhunter song...love the long guitar outro

The Excellent

The Rapture, House Of Jealous Lovers - maybe the best Rapture song so far but they are all good...I will get around to listening to more of them for sure

Eminem, The Real Slim Shady - I can't deny what the detractors say mostly, but I also can't deny my past that spent a fair amount of time always enjoying his music, and so I still do when it comes on...his new albums are mostly cringey, but there is at least one great song on each one (much like Kanye albums :shock: )

Brandi Carlile, The Story (I Was Made For You) - first listen...when it first started I groaned inwardly, I'm hardly ever in the mood for country lovey dovey ballads...then it became country rock that rocks a little bit harder than most country rock, and I thought this is better...then oh shiiiiittt, that singing is something special, so good that the music and lyrics don't matter as much (not that there is anything wrong with them), it's the vocal performance that might bring me back

The Great

Kendrick Lamar, m.A.A.d city - I mostly prefer this era of Kendrick, and this is my favourite from the album, but that 3 track run of this, Swimming Pools, and Sing About Me... is all great, top quality tunes

The Postal Service, We Will Become Silhouettes - I have heard this as part of the album but listening in this context as a standalone great song, and with those lyrics in these times, something clicked that hasn't before, and I was really feeling this

The Good

Sum 41, Fat Lip - just young people having a good time, not to be taken too seriously

The Meh

Holly Golightly, Carpet of Horses - first listen...passed me right by without a thought

Lykke Li, I follow Rivers - first listen...It's time to admit I don't get Lykke Li. All of her songs posted so far, and what I've heard before, are all slightly different so I've seen a few variants of what she can do, but nothing has ever provoked a reaction in me either good or bad. It's just music...

The Rest

Leona Lewis, Bleeding Love - first listen...music I avoid rather than dislike

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Again – Too much of a good thing. The shorter version might have done the trick. Really good dynamic range and production again, but the song is insanely repetitive.

Dropkick Murphys – A bit better and more Celtic than most of their stuff, but I'll never be a fan.

Parquet Courts – Old school punk done right. That Freebird gag at the end is cringe-worthy, though.

Clinic – Another good tune from these guys, with a wee hint of Tubular Bells. I might have to explore them more fully. ADDED

Nelly Furtado – Tolerable pop, but not for me.

Sean Kingston – Intolerable pop, so not for me.

Savages – The mopey music doesn't really live up to the promise of bucking trends you described. It still sounds like they're playing it safe by catering to indie expectations, which makes the lyrics feel ironic. It's a possible grower, though, so ADDED anyway.

The Kills – Whether someone is cool or not is usually the least of my concerns. In fact, I usually prefer the uncool. I heard shades of Morphine and BRMC in this, so it was okay, but didn't quite thrill me. ADDED for now.

Coheed & Cambria – Okay, you've convinced me that this band doesn't take themselves too seriously, but the music didn't really grab me. It's way too flat and compressed for a band with proggy aspirations.

Gotye - Not bad. Very retro.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Eminem, Lose Yourself (2002)

I’ve never been a huge fan of rap when I grew up, contrary to many of my friends. But I’m still from a generation that listened to rap. Eminem is probably the first one that interested me to the genre, probably because he adds something fun and musical to it, and he plays well with the sounds of the words. It’s rap, but it’s not really rap. Anyway, I’m losing myself in my text. It’s just a bloody great song.

GEEZER

Frank Turner, Recovery (2013)

Frank is really high on my list of artists that I've yet to see live but want to desperately. His folk-punk sound really hits my sweet spot when he's at his best, like he is here. His shows just always sell out in the blink of an eye and its tough to get tickets. He sold out a run of six nights in Boston in a row a couple years back. I'm sure I'll eventually pay a buttload of money to see him, just haven't done it yet. Anyway, here's one of his best songs.

JOHNERLE

Ray Lamontagne, Hey, No Pressure (2016)

I've been aware of Ray LaMontagne for a long time and liked the occasional song here and there, but it wasn't until he went psychedelic that I became a real fan. This album and Supernova are both highly recommended.

LEESTU

Modest Mouse, Float On (2004)

Well at the start of this project I never would have guessed this song would be the most chosen song but what a pleasant surprise that is. But why is it so popular? It is a quirky song but not too quirky for the general populace (I have friends that do not like Modest Mouse but love this song). The lyrics are positive saying bad things happen but sometimes things work out okay, and using fun scenarios to display this. It’s a catchy song with a hooky chorus that is fun to sing along to, but not so simple that you can sing along after one listen, which stops you getting bored of the song quickly like some catchy simple pop songs. Speaking of pop this has a lot of pop sensibilities to it making it easily digestible for a lot of people. His unusual vocal cadences are such a strong point throughout their career, but is really highlighted in this song, especially in the verses. So, to sum up – a fun, positive, inspirational song, with quirky pop sensibilities, a catchy chorus and interesting verses. What’s not to love?

NSPAN

Dan the Automator, I Want the Mic (2000)

Dan the Automator + Kool Keith. More turn-of-the-century hip-hop from a familiar duo.

RON B

Grizzly Bear, 2 Weeks (2009)

A strangely good folk genre something song!

SCREEN203

Tinashe, All Hands On Deck (2014)

Love the beat to this one. Even if the lyrics are a bit simplistic, this is one of the best musical arrangements of the 21st century (so far).

SHRYKE

Volbeat feat. Neil Fallon, Die to Live (2019)

I’m going to go out on a limb and state that this is the most recent song on any of y’all’s lists. In fact, this song was #1 on Billboard’s Mainstream Rock Hits as recent as three weeks ago!

One of my author friends, Tiea McDonald, introduced me to Volbeat a few months ago. This Danish group blew me away with their sound, a fusion of rock, heavy metal, and rockabilly. Lead singer Michael Poulsen is a great frontman who adds a lot of cheeky fun to his vocals, and he wats no time slamming into this song. And then, just when you think it can’t any better? Neil Fallon steps out of the background, says “Hold my beer and watch this,” and then tears into the second verse. Add to that the piano player wailing away like he’s been possessed by Jerry Lee Lewis, and you have a tune that may never get old for me.

SIX

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Sorrowful Wife (2001)

Nick Cave’s 2001 album No More Shall We Part was a much anticipated album that left most disappointed. Not me. I could hear the painstaking effort in a record all about battling writer’s block, drug addiction, and relationship woes. This song is a classic Cave song, a ballad about a seemingly doomed bond that starts off delicate and piano-led, only to explode into fury and passion as Cave begs his wife for forgiveness. Haven’t we all, Nick.

SURFER

Elliot Smith, Somebody That I Used To Know (2000)

I was late to the party with Elliott Smith, an artist who emerged during the 90s with record after record of brutal affecting nature on indie label Kill Rock Stars, before finding himself in the hands of Dreamworks. It was at this point that Elliot Smith came into my horizon. I loved XO, and with Figure 8 I had build huge anticipation. The record itself was written in response to this new found acclaim, as he sank into the depths of depression and paranoia. However what resulted was, while musically bigger than what had come before, kind of cluttered, overstuffed and noisy minus the intimacy that made Smith so great in the first place. However, despite all this, there is the odd moment on the record, such as with this song, where he returns to his former glories, and finds that just his voice and guitar are more than enough.

TRANSFORMERS

Protest the Hero, C'est La Vie (2011)

Enjoy some more high-pitched noise!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »