Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by Shrykespeare »

#25 (MYSTERY ROUND) (our final one)

Eminem, The Real Slim Shady (2000)

Sum 41, Fat Lip (2001)

The Rapture, House Of Jealous Lovers (2002)

The Postal Service, We Will Become Silhouettes (2003)

Brandi Carlile, The Story (I Was Made For Your) (2007)

Leona Lewis, Bleeding Love (2007)

Deerhunter, Nothing Ever Happened (2008)

Lykke Li, I follow Rivers (The Magician remix) (2011)

Kendrick Lamar, m.A.A.d city (2012)

Ty Segall, She (2018)

Holly Golightly, Carpet of Horses (2018)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Shit. I thought this was going to get easier as we went along...
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 26 thoughts

Chien, Archive - As has been mentioned, immediately thought of Pink Floyd. Some decent moments of post rock within the song, not really bothered by the vocals and not really worthy of the 16 minute run time.

Geezer, Dropkick Murphys - Not sure if I'm familiar with this song from a previous countdown or not, either way I think I have heard enough from this band during the countdown to never need to listen to them again, their music just has little to no variation and what it does give me just does not appeal.

JohnErle, And You Will Know Us... - A good song from a good album, not my favourite Trail record, but still good. The new album is pretty decent too.

Leestu, Parquet Courts - Good song from a decent if underwhelming album.

Nspan, Clinic - I am familiar with this song, really like it and need to listen to more Clinic.

Ron, TBA

Screen, Nelly Furtado - Didn't know this was her (nor Manhunter) only really know her for I'm Like A Bird. Nice enough voice but not really for me.

Shryke, Sean Kingston - Definitely not for me, just not a fan of the genre.

Six, Savages - Great song from a very good follow up record. Obviously made my own list.

Tranny, Coheed and Cambria - Sounded almost poppy actually, maybe even a little Fall Out Boy. Didn't really appeal but was a change from the norm, I guess.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#25 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5nlzn ... 5HDOyiO0LQ

Missing: Holly Golightly, Carpet of Horses

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

While everyone's waiting for the results, I'll just throw this out there...

Do any of you want to do another Mystery Round? I figure we may have room for one more in the 20-11 thread, but that's it.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm completely out of songs that would stump even the worst of guessers at this point
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm up for it, but I'd ultimately let the picks themselves dictate that. I will note that the mystery surrounding my picks is basically out the window at this point. There's only 2 songs in my top 20 that are by artists that haven't been featured previously and let's just say no one would have any difficultly cracking the code of who they belonged to :lol: .

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I've no problem with another but I won't be shuffling my order just to throw people, so my song will be easier to pin down.

It really killed me to bump Leona Lewis from #20 back to #25

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:27 am
It really killed me to bump Leona Lewis from #20 back to #25
[Quickly edits answers]

I am fine with another round, it adds a little fun and I suspect I will still be rubbish by the top ten!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm always up for a mystery round. Maybe this time, I'll put a French song to help you guys figure out what's my pick ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are the results.

Winners: Tranny and JohnErle, 7/10

Six, Surfer - 6/10
Chien - 5/10
Geezer, Leestu - 4/10
Screen - 3/10

The funniest thing about this round was that Screen wasn't even trying to throw people off. He picked Leona Lewis, which EVERYONE but John assigned to me. Only John got my pick (Brandi Carlile) correct.

Everyone got Geezer's pick right. NEARLY everyone got Leestu's and Tranny's pick right. More than half of you correctly identified Ron's, Six's, and Surfer's.

The biggest missteps were Screen's and, unbelievably, Chien's. Not one person matched Chien with Lykke Li. Only Tranny identified The Postal Service with John.

Well done, Tranny and John!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#25 (ANSWERS)

CHIEN

Lykke Li, I follow Rivers (The Magician remix) (2011)

There aren’t many songs in the style of this one on my list, with that strong dance vibe. This isn’t the kind of song I usually listen to. I mean, it’s a remix !! But I’ve been addicted to this song for years, can never turn it off, and the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me and has me move my body irrepressibly. You love songs for different reasons in life, and this is one song I love because it makes me wanna dance like few songs can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXMsoTTcog

GEEZER

Sum 41, Fat Lip (2001)

An iconic pop punk hit that immediately grabbed my attention back when I was a young high school kid and has never left or gotten old or faded in the slightest for me. Finally saw them a couple years ago and they still kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMX2lPum_pg

JOHNERLE

The Postal Service, We Will Become Silhouettes (2003)

"I wanted to walk through the empty streets
And feel something constant under my feet
But all the news reports recommended that I stay indoors"

I've always loved this song, but the apocalyptic lyrics have taken on a whole new resonance these days.

Also: Such Great Heights, Recycled Air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp2N2u4uAg4

LEESTU

Ty Segall, She (2018)

I was already a huge fan of Ty Segall, but when he released his 2018 album Freedom's Goblin I was blown away. An ambitious double LP length album that is influenced by so many genres from disco to jazz to hard rock, all with his identifiable fuzzy trademark sound. With so much variety, and every song of high quality the long runtime just flies buy, and it is easily now my favourite album of his prolific discography. This is the early ‘70s heavy psych/’80s hard rock influenced highlight of the album for me, but there are many other great tracks, including a wonderful cover of Hot Chocolates Every 1’s A Winner,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSxd3eqTgA

NSPAN

Holly Golightly, Carpet of Horses (2018)

Hey, look at this! NSpan actually picked a relatively RECENT song! (He's mostly been skating by with picks from 2000 and 2001). But it IS a familiar artist, so let's not give him too much credit.

For real, though, this song moves me. Listen to it twice if you're inclined. It really grows on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zC_m4JcpSE

RON B

Eminem, The Real Slim Shady (2000)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlQU08V8xRs

SCREEN203

Leona Lewis, Bleeding Love (2007)

The revival of Mariah Carey's career in the mid 2000s led to many following in her footsteps. Easily the best was Leona Lewis, with this modern classic ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJVzv7yt1M

SHRYKE

Brandi Carlile, The Story (I Was Made For You) (2007)

If you’ve never heard this song before, you’re in for a roller coaster ride. The song starts out as a slow-moving, wistful country-ish torch song.

And then…

The first time I heard this, I was at work, listening on headphones. I did a double-take when she cranks the volume up to eleven, belting out lyrics like the love child of Melissa Etheridge and Janis Joplin. Seriously, I was like, “Whoa, did that just happen?” Yes it did. The song, which beautifully laments the lonely life of a road musician, is one of the few songs on my list that I firmly believe will be on people’s playlists twenty years from now. It’ll certainly be on mine (assuming I make it through to 2040).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pQLtHTPaI

SIX

Deerhunter, Nothing Ever Happened (2008)

Bradford Cox is one of the geniuses of the last 20 years. Across 3 solo albums as Atlas Sound, and 8 Deerhunter albums, and a little role in Dallas Buyers Club, he has carved out a space where indie, shoegaze, and psychedelia hang out together and because the best of buds. Nothing Ever Happened is Deerhunter’s greatest moment, an epic ode to ennui with every member of the band on top form, from Josh Fauver’s awesome bassline to Lockett Pundt’s brilliantly bizarre guitar solo/outro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MOECvAlbXk

SURFER

The Rapture, House Of Jealous Lovers (2002)

We have heard quite a bit of The Rapture during this countdown (mostly courtesy of one participant), but we have yet to have heard their best song. And now you have. Taking post punk and adding so much funk to it, this is the pinnacle of a sublime record that weaves multiple genres into one that deserves to be listened in its entirety. Until then, though, just have a dance and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HP04nfUi4g

TRANSFORMERS

Kendrick Lamar, m.A.A.d city (2012)

Enter the narrative centerpiece of Kendrick Lamar's stunning introspective breakout LP good kid, m.A.A.d city about his upbringing in LA's Compton neighborhood. Lamar's storytelling here is horrifying visceral and I firmly believe that the first verse is an all-timer that features his best pure rapping to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10yrPDf92hY

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Chien picking Lykki Li is honestly the single biggest Mystery Round surprise to me yet. I've heard a fair amount of her stuff in the past and it's right in Screen's wheelhouse, so I figured that was a lock (it was actually the pick besides Geezer's and Leestu's that I was most confident about). Guess I know how you guys felt when I picked Ariana Grande earlier...

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

That's a pretty good result considering that I didn't listen to a single track all the way through, and didn't listen to some of them at all. I actually took Six's comment about Leona Lewis at face value, so that threw me off. If I'd googled her before making my picks I would have known he was joking and I probably would have known it was Screen's. As for Lykke Li, I didn't listen to that one either. I just saw the word "remix" and assigned it to Screen.

I think I've had my fill of mystery rounds, personally, but that's easy to say after back-to-back victories, or co-victories. If the consensus is to have one more round I probably have one more song coming that won't be super obvious.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Curses, I was so close, but the pop songs threw me.

Chien: I actually love this song too, both this and the original version. I love her voice, it's slightly more distinct, maybe more imperfect, than most pop. Maybe a dash of spleen in there. But yeah, great pick. Almost put it on my list. I had Postal Service for you, just because you featured them before.

Geez: An obvious one. Didn't even have to listen to it. Can't even remember if I did.

John: I had a slight suspicion this may have been yours, but went for the more predictable choice that it was Chien's. It's a good song. I had you down for the Brandi Carlile just because of the folk elements, even though it didn't quite feel right.

Leets: I knew you had to have some Segall coming, so figured this was yours. I like the song although it is a tad too long on a very long album. As much as I like Segall I find it hard to distinguish albums and songs. They're all similar, but all enjoyable nonetheless. FWIW the only Segall song that neared my list was Oh Mary.

NSpan: Pretty nice. No doubts that this was yours (well a little because of The Rapture, but this fit better)

Ron B: Shryke already had it, so I figured this was yours. It's okay.

Screen: I put Lykki Li down to you, as I figured you're the only one who'd have a remix. I kinda wanted your song to be Lykki Li, just so I could be positive about one of your songs for once. Bleeding Love, however, is one of my least favourite songs. It just grates.

Shryke: Had you down for Leona, as I know you enjoy those talent reality shows and figured you'd have come across her there. Oh the ridiculous narratives I weave! Anyway, I prefer my folksy/country/Americana to be a way darker.

Surf: Wasn't 100% on this, but thought it might be too dancey for NSpan and Leetsu. Glad I got it right. I love this song. Another regular on my running playlist. Crazy that this got so much dancefloor playtime!

Tranny: Another easy guess. I only just got this album recently, and I like it a lot (not as much as his next two). Swimming Pool is my favourite song by far, but this is good. It reminds me of the infamous clip where Kendrick pulled a white girl on stage to rap this song with him, and she kept using the n-word so he had to kick her off!