Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Top 40 begins!!

CHIEN

Johnny Cash, I Hung My Head (2002)

When I was 14, I took extra English lessons in school in a special class for those who wanted more English lessons, which was my case. The teacher in that class was a huge fan of Sting, and she often had us learn the language through his songs. One of those songs was “I hung my head”, which was a pretty good song, but nothing remarkable. Then one day, I heard the cover Johnny Cash made of that song, and it threw me back to those English lessons, and I realized how immense that song really is, with the voice of Cash.

GEEZER

Fall Out Boy, A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me' (2005)

I'll kick off my top 40 with a song that actually made the top 40 (Billboard pop and alternative charts, that is). One of the more radio friendly songs on my list and, in my opinion BY FAR the best single released off From Under the Cork Tree (way better than Sugar, We're Going Down and Dance, Dance). It's catchy, its fun, it gets stuck in your head, and its easily my favorite Fall Out Boy song. Hopefully they play it when I see them in August (if we're allowed social gatherings by then!)

JOHNERLE

Steve Earle, City Of Immigrants (2007)

Steve Earle spent most of his life in the Southern US, but in the early 2000s he moved to New York, and this song and much of this album is a tribute to his adopted city. City Of Immigrants was recorded with a band called Forro In The Dark who play traditional Brazilian music, which I don't know much about, but if this is any indication I should check out more of it.

Also: Down Here Below, Satellite Radio

LEESTU

King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, Head On/Pill (2014)

Be thankful I imposed a three song per artist limit as King Gizz have released 15 albums in 7½ years, all of them different from each other, and I love them all. This was the second song of theirs I ever heard, and it was the one that really made me take notice of them and realise they were something special. One of those songs I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it. Nowhere special, just driving down the freeway, but I was totally caught up, and lost in the song. What a trip! There is so much to listen to in just one song.

NSPAN

Ween, Even If You Don't (2000)

Tongues firmly in cheek, Gene and Dean expertly craft a poppy hit with subversive lyrics contrasting the upbeat melodies.

RON B

RUFUS, Underwater (2018)

This song just got better with each listen, a great trait.

SCREEN203

Meg Myers, Tear Me To Pieces (2018)

One of the best alternative songs of the decade, and arguably Meg Myers' finest moment. Her intensity builds masterfully until the final chorus, with her almost screaming the lyrics.

SHRYKE

Audioslave, Show Me How to Live (2003)

I’ve heard a lot of great voices in my lifetime, but if I had to make a list of the five best of all time, Chris Cornell would be in it. Few guys have had not only his incredible range but also the ability to infuse heartbreakingly raw emotion into his lyrics. Perhaps more than even Nirvana, Soundgarden epitomized the grunge movement for me, and it was because of Cornell. Three of Audioslave’s songs grace my Top 40, and it seems right to start it off with the first. (FYI - the video, which was banned on MTV because of its ending, incorporates scenes from the movie Vanishing Point, starring the late, great Cleavon Little.)

SIX

Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up (2000)

One more out of nostalgia than present love. Adams showed plenty of promise in the 90s with his work with the excellent Whiskeytown, and then went solo with an incredible debut. This song is a great, drunken, singalong song dedicated to that moment when you just want to be with your ex again. Best experienced with a glass of whiskey.

SURFER

Mike Krol, Like A Star (2011)

I imagine the lo-fi garage rock sound of this song from Mike Krol's first record will be right up JohnErle's street here! The sound is scuzzy and ramshackle, but the energy is pure. What results is real shot of adrenaline, an exhilarating couple of minutes of raw energy inspired by the likes of The Ramones and early Weezer to name a couple, with Krol's wry humour and enthusiasm a joy and the music addictive.

TRANSFORMERS

The Dillinger Escape Plan, Black Bubblegum (2007)

Another taste of Dillinger Escape Plan's slower side that shows that they could've been a tremendous poppy alternative rock band if they wanted to be.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by numbersix »

#40!

Chien: What a great start to the final 40. Can't believe this is a Sting song. I'm afraid to listen to the original, as this is so good.
Geez: So much for the good start. I don't like FOB at all. The best thing I can say is that I find them so bland that I always forget their songs instantly.
John: I was wondering when he'd show up. Not my thing, but props to Steve for incorporating another type of music into his own style. Also, he's in The Wire so extra props to him in general.
Leetsu: I was wondering when they'd show up. I like them but find it impossible to keep up with them. Plus, they're so jamm-y and part of me wishes they'd edit and release less records - 12 in 8 years is ridiculous. I liked this song, although damn you for beating my longest song - thought mine would beat you all. I really enjoyed this, even if the Beatles own the copyright os using sitars in rock.
NSpan: Ween are more versatile than I imagined!
Ron B: They ain't reinventing the wheel, but like the other track you posted, this was pleasant EDM
Screen: "alternative" is the last word I'd associate with this pop-with-black-mascara song. Voice was strong, admittedly
Shryke: Soundgarden are probably more definitively "grunge" than Nirvana, in some ways. But this track did little for me. Also deducting points for the awful integration of their name into that monologue in Vanishing Point. Did Cornell & Co hear Primal Scream's excellent 1997 album Vanishing Point, which uses the cult film way better?
Surf: Don't know this guy, but it was catchy, scuzzy fun.
Tranny: This was odd.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Question - how does everyone feel about JohnErle's suggestion that we just have every song from here on out be its own thread?

Please weigh in.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Underwater - If I didn't know this wasn't Coldplay, I'd swear this was Coldplay. Which is not a deal-breaker for me at all. In fact, I loved this. 8.5/10

Chien - I Hung My Head - Wondered when we would get some late-model Cash songs. This was really good, and I suspect we'll have a few more occasions to listen to The Man In Black. 7/10

Tranny - Black Bubblegum - I don't remember the previous DEP song/s you've posted, but if this song is like those, I may have to go back and listen again. Sounded like someone fused Jane's Addiction vocals with Primus's guitars and filtered it through QotSA. I know, I'm weird. 7/10

Screen - Tear Me To Pieces - To my years, this barely scrapes the surface of alternative. But then, now that I think about it, "altenative" is a loosely-defined genre whose description has changed radically over the last 30 years. Just review the Billboard Modern Rock Chart's history since its inception in 1988, and you'll see what I mean. I didn't hate the song, FYI. It reminds me a lot of the song I have coming up tomorrow. 6.5/10

Geezer - A Little Less 16 Candles - Ignore Six, FOB is actually pretty good. I hadn't heard this one before, and it won't take its place among my faves of theirs (Immortals is #1 on that list), but I liked it. Hope you get to see them in August! 6.5/10

Surfer - Like a Star - After slogging through Leestu's pick, this one's brevity was a welcome sight. Liked it. Scuzzy, like Six said. 6/10

JohnErle - City of Immigrants - In two months, I'll probably have a more solid opinion on whether I like Steve Earle or not, as I've had limited exposure to him in my lifetime (and I couldn't hum any of his songs if you had a gun to my head), but this is a good start. 6/10

NSpan - Even If You Don't - Don't like Ween. Ever. However, I'll give this song props for not sounding as awful as most of the other stuff I've heard. Sounded like a Beatles cover band going rogue and playing one of their own songs after claiming it was something Paul wrote when stoned off his ass. 5.5/10

Six - Come Pick Me Up - Having grown up in the era of BRYAN Adams, I wondered at the beginning of Ryan's career if they were the same person and Bryan was making a comeback. Course, that's not the case. Sad to say, I never became a fan of Ryan. (Wife loved it, though.) 5/10

Leestu - Head On/Pill - Oh, how I wish this had been a cover of the Jesus and Mary Chain song... sorry, dude, it was overlong and no part of it grabbed me. I'm sure you rock this song on Sitar Hero, but the only part I liked was when it fiiiiiiinally ended. 4/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Audioslave, Show Me How to Live - Chris Cornell is on top of his game here, incredible vocals, and excellent grungy music

The Great

Mike Krol, Like A Star - first listen...love the sound of this...as soon as it started I knew I was going to like this

The Very Good

Johnny Cash, I Hung My Head - Johnny Cash takes this song and makes it sound like it always should have been a Johnny Cash song, like he does on a few songs on this album

RUFUS, Underwater - these guys are just top quality at what they do, so that even when I'm not a fan of that type of music, songs like this one stand out for how good they are

The Dillinger Escape Plan, Black Bubblegum - frist listen...this was cool

Steve Earle, City Of Immigrants - first listen...this had some interesting rhythms going on, and the woodwinds were cool...I really enjoyed this

The Good

Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up - captures the style it's going for really well, sort of fun in a depressing way

Meg Myers, Tear Me To Pieces -this is definitely alternative in my opinion, her whole vocal performance from indie hipster style at the beginning to Evanesnce style in the middle to shouty at the end is alternative, as well as the guitar-driven pop. I have listened to this album and it's good, not top 100 of the year good, but I liked it.

Ween, Even If You Don't - first listen...Ween are always interesting

The Meh

Fall Out Boy, A Little Less 16 Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me' - the best part of their songs is usually the title

Shrykespeare wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Leestu - Head On/Pill - Oh, how I wish this had been a cover of the Jesus and Mary Chain song... sorry, dude, it was overlong and no part of it grabbed me. I'm sure you rock this song on Sitar Hero, but the only part I liked was when it fiiiiiiinally ended. 4/10
What? Like this?

Anyway I'm off now to listen to the album Float Along - Fill Your Lungs, that opens with Head On/Pill.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Question - how does everyone feel about JohnErle's suggestion that we just have every song from here on out be its own thread?

Please weigh in.
Personally I prefer a good, meaty thread of 10 rounds. I think if it was one thread per round we'd just have dozens of threads with 4 or 5 responses.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Sébastien Tellier, L’amour et la Violence (2008)

I don’t know if Sébastien Tellier is really known outside of France, as he’s not that well-known in France in the first place, except probably for a curious attempt to win the Eurovision contest with him a decade ago. Anyway. How to define Tellier ?He’s definitely a children of the French electro new wave, and you’ll heard that in this song. “L’Amour et la violence”, the title of this song, means “Love and Violence”. It’s a song that is soft, but trippy, melancholic, but grows into something that goes far beyond melancholy.

The lyrics are simple, and repeated all the way through the song :
“Tell me what you think, of my life, of my adolescence, tell me what you think, I also like love and violence”

GEEZER

System of a Down, Roulette (2002)

This is quite the departure from the System of a Down you've heard on this countdown, or probably anywhere else in your life. I think that's why it always stuck with me the most of all of their songs. It proved they had the versatility to pull off a freaking ballad. I absolutely ADORE the guitar work in this and Serj sets aside the screaming and actually shows his vocal chops. For me it is my favorite of their songs.

JOHNERLE

The White Stripes, We Are Going To Be Friends (2001)

I never fully embraced The White Stripes, and they definitely suffered from overexposure -- a pox on anyone who posts Seven Nation Army or Fell In Love With A Girl -- but the acoustic stuff still holds up pretty well for me. This is a perfect companion piece to Big Star's "Thirteen".

Also: Hotel Yorba, Apple Blossom

LEESTU

FIDLAR, By Myself (2019)

A fun celebration of wallowing in self misery song. Catchy, and a fun, drunk sing-along with the boys (and girls in our case). Yes, we have done that. Admittedly it was after many beers, and quite a few tequila shots, but it was an experience I’ll never forget.

NSPAN

Foxygen, No Destruction (2013)

This is a last-minute substitution. I couldn't find a studio-version on YouTube of the Elf Power song I originally picked ("Old Familiar Scene"). So here's Foxygen. They're doing a sort of derivative Stones impression with a hipster twist... but I happen to enjoy it quite a bit. The entirely album is pretty great. This just happens to be the song that hooked me.

RON B

Radiohead, Go to Sleep (2003)

SCREEN203

KSHMR And Bassjackers feat. Sirah, Memories (2015)

This obscure dance track has great vocals from Sirah to begin with, that overshadowa the average beat. The haunting lyrics and (slightly NSFW) video add to the eerie feel. Should be a Halloween classic for years to come, even though it likely won't gain any popularity.

SHRYKE

Within Temptation, Stand My Ground (2004)

You guys remember Englishozzy? He was part of our countdown ten years ago. This song appeared on his list, and I’ve adored it ever since.

I probably should have gotten more into female-led goth-rock groups like Evanescence more than I did when it was considered fresh, but I never QUITE got there. In retrospect, Amy Lee did and still have a great voice, and groups like HIM and Lacuna Coil also put out a few songs I still enjoy, but it’s this song that elevates the genre for me. Sharon von Adel’s voice is magnificent at the front of this majestic, sweeping anthem that rocks my socks off every time I hear it.

SIX

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jubilee Street (2013)

Boy, was it hard to pick a Nick Cave song for this list. Since 2000 he has released some of my favourite music of all time, from the beautiful angst of And No More Shall We Part, through the sleazy rock of his Grinderman project, to the ethereal dirges of his last two records. All different, all brilliant. But I think Jubilee Street demonstrates what he does best: creating rich, evocative worlds and characters, with the music subtly building and building.

SURFER

Sleater Kinney, Jumpers (2004)

While the signs had been there on the previous couple of records, The Woods announced Sleater Kinney's intentions to be a louder, larger and looser than ever before. Embracing this sound allowed Brownstein, Tucker and Weiss to really flex their muscles, while lyrically they were as powerful and determined as ever. Jumpers is my favourite from the album, a song about Golden Gate suicides and how apparent sunny outlooks can deceive the loneliness that lies beneath. It's a terrific song filled with tense guitar jabs and wrapped around a stunning riff that balances out with Weiss' drums into a bubbling volcano of a song.

TRANSFORMERS

The Mars Volta, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus (2005)

When this track appeared on Surfer's list earlier on, John commented that this sounded like one of my picks. Well our resident curmudgeon Canuck confirmed that he's a clairvoyant because I've been enamored with this spastic piece of prog weirdness ever since I blindly purchased the record it appeared on 15 years ago.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: It started off like a dull ballad but it's the electro element that made it quite nice. Could play over an emotional scene in Stranger Things.
Geez: It wasn't bad but far from exceptional. They're better when they're playful.
JohnE: This is a nice track. A bit too throwaway to ever be considered a standout track, and instead works well in a fantastic album.
Leetsu: The sentiment does little for me but the rhythm kept me going.
NSpan: So very, very Stonesy, with a hint of VU. Still, it was decent.
Ron B: Interesting choice. Guess you're a fan of Hail to the Thief! Not my favourite from the album, but nice to see them use an acoustic guitar again after two more experimental (and incredible) albums.
Screen: The vocals and lyrics are just there to distract you until the big banging club bits come in, which is what this song is really about. Not for me.
Shryke: I prefer my goth a little bit more restrained and intimate. This sounded like a cross between a Scandinavian Eurosong entry and the credits track of a dark superhero movie.
Surf: I love The Woods. Man, that album is frickin LOUD. Jumpers and Entertain came close to making my list.
Tranny: I didn't have to listen to this again, but I did anyway. So I like it from 4 mins in to about 10mins. The rest could go.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 5:33 am
Shrykespeare wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Please weigh in.
Personally I prefer a good, meaty thread of 10 rounds. I think if it was one thread per round we'd just have dozens of threads with 4 or 5 responses.
Agreed. A thread for each song feels unnecessarily excessive to me.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Steve Earle, City Of Immigrants (2007) (Ya know I don't hate this Steve Earle character)
Meg Myers, Tear Me To Pieces (2018) (This is actually a lot better than most of what you've chosen, so I'll throw you a like)

Love It
Johnny Cash, I Hung My Head (2002) (I'm most definitely going to listen to the entirety of Johnny's final album now. I've obviously heard his “Hurt” cover, which is brilliant, but I just never moved myself to digging deeper to the album. I should have a long time ago)
Audioslave, Show Me How to Live (2003) (I love this song. It was in contention for my own list. Chris Cornell is SO, SO FUCKING GOOD and Morello's guitars here are excellent, especially in the chorus and that part around 3 minutes)
Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up (2000) (Six... my friend, I absolutely, genuinely, cherished this piece of soul crushing music. Thank you for sharing. This is a gem. No curve required)

Meh
Ween, Even If You Don't (2000)
RUFUS, Underwater (2018)
Mike Krol, Like A Star (2011) (I think I'd have liked it more if it wasn't so “scuzzy” as you put it)

Loathe It
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard, Head On/Pill (2014) (even though this is like an amalgamation of everything I don't like in music, I still hate that you limited yourself to not truly represent your favorite songs. I think it cheapens the whole experience. I get wanting to feature more of your favorite artists, I guess, but they aren't really your 100 favorite songs.)
The Dillinger Escape Plan, Black Bubblegum (2007)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
FIDLAR, By Myself (2019) (Yup, I can totally see how this would be a really great drink-along song)
Sleater Kinney, Jumpers (2004) (Not bad, but not something that I'm enamored with either)

Love It
The White Stripes, We Are Going To Be Friends (2001) (One of my favorite tracks from this album, But fuck off, 7 Nation Army and Fell In Love With a Girl (my number 132 in the deluxe version of my list) are also great)

Meh
Sébastien Tellier, L’amour et la Violence (2008)
Foxygen, No Destruction (2013)
KSHMR And Bassjackers feat. Sirah, Memories (2015)
Within Temptation, Stand My Ground (2004)
The Mars Volta, Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus (2005) (I won't hate on their talent or even their sound, but this should be 4 different songs. At least.)

Loathe It
Radiohead, Go to Sleep (2003)
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jubilee Street (2013) (aaaaaaaaaand welcome back, Six)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

The White Stripes, We Are Going To Be Friends - such a sweet song...he does folky twee here better than the best folky twee bands

The Excellent

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jubilee Street - fantastic song...another example of a great, patient build into something magnificent...this or Higgs Boson Blues would have both been great picks

The Great

Sleater Kinney, Jumpers - first listen...that was great, quite a powerful song and video

(Elf Power, An Old Familiar Scene) - first listen...this was great...I've gotten into the Elf Power songs posted so far, I want to listen to an album but where to start, they have quite a few

Radiohead, Go to Sleep- great song from a great album

Sébastien Tellier, L’amour et la Violence - first listen...loved the way it started as a sweet sounding ballad (with a great vocal performance) and transitioned smoothly into some trippy synthpop...I would listen again

The Very Good

The Mars Volta, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus - really good trip of a song, but I do slightly prefer L'Via L'Viaquez from this album

Foxygen, No Destruction - the hippy retro factor is strong in Foxygen but I love it, it's all retro of so many bands I like from then anyway

The Okay

System of a Down, Roulette - first listen...I imagine it would be an okay album track, not the sort of single song I listen to SOAD for

Within Temptation, Stand My Ground - I could never really get into this Evanescence style of symphonic metal, not that I disliked it, just a bit too forced dramatic and over the top for me I think

KSHMR And Bassjackers feat. Sirah, Memories - first listen...it's okay for a club banger..but I hear a few great ones every now and again from one of my kids

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 40 thoughts

Chien, Johnny Cash - Echoing Geezer's comments, I really need to listen to this album. I have plenty of his earlier work but nothing from this era of Cash. This will change, such a simple melody, but combined with the vocals and lyrics, it was captivating.

Geezer, Fall Out Boy - To be honest, there were some cool (if familiar) riffs in this song. But any of that is undone by those horrible vocals and poor lyrics.

JohnErle, Steve Earle - Wow, this was a lot better than the last song you posted. Like his vocals in this setting, and the variety of styles combined was very pleasant.

Leestu, KingGizzard - Yeah, their output is ridiculous, hence I have never really endeavored past a couple of their albums (Nonagon Infinity and I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, both which are awesome). This went in a number of directions, beginning like some kind of sitar led dirge before turning into some very cool psych jam that, despite the repetition, kept me tapping my foot for the remaining 12 minutes! I assume you have heard of Earworms? As this sound was kind of reminiscent.
Anyway, if you liked my Mike Krol pick, you should check out the record this is from, I Like Jazz, it's entire length is shorter than this song too!!

Nspan, Ween - Ha, that was a lot of fun! Two songs in a row with completely different Beatles vibes (though the lyrics would definitely not be from McCartney, much more Ringo!!)

Ron, RUFUS - Didn't really do anything for me, unfortunately. Just standard dance music.

Screen, Meg Myers - Not bad, the husky vocals are intriguing and the gothic sound is OK.

Shryke, Audioslave - I prefer this to Cochise, the opening bass lines are cool, but still other than the ever strong vocals, not really enough to really grab me.

Six, Ryan Adams - Yeah, those early years of Adams' solo career were great. I can listen to almost everything from Heartbreaker, Gold, Love Is Hell and Rock N Roll, such is the high standard of song writing despite the variety in sound. In the end I couldn't pick a song for my own top 100, but this would have been on the shortlist definitely if so, really beautiful song.

Tranny, The Dillinger Escape Plan - Like Shryke mentions, this sounds like the band have taken a whole load of influences and placed it in a blender. Unfortunately didn't really work.