Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

La La Land, Another Day of Sun (2016)

I already know what some of you will probably say. “It just doesn’t really feel like a proper song, it’s too much musical”. Well fuck that. I just love that song so much. It’s one of those songs that you can make me listen any time, any day, no matter what my mood is, and I’ll just wake up and feel good no matter what. It’s a song that every single time grabs my hand and takes me far away, and every time I’m leaving far away with that song, I’m dancing.To me it’s magic turned into a song.

GEEZER

Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies (2002)

Here comes Geezer with another Irish singalong drinkfest. Deal with it you fuckers! Its fun. In fact, Flogging Molly are hands down one of the most fun bands I've ever seen live, which I finally got to do a little over a year ago. And let me tell you, even at age 57, Dave King still puts on one HELL of a show.

JOHNERLE

Iron & Wine & Calexico, History Of Lovers (2005)

Two great tastes that taste great together. The first time these two artists collaborated it was like a marriage where each partner makes up for the other's weaknesses. Sam Beam was a poet in the style of Nick Drake who was just beginning to expand his musical palette, while Calexico was a band with a great gift for melody but not much happening in the lyrical department. Put them together and you had an instant Americana classic. This is another case where I was ready to flip a coin between two songs, but the version of 16, Maybe Less on YouTube seemed to have slightly inferior sound quality.

Also: 16, Maybe Less, Prison On Route 41

LEESTU

The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army (2003)

A classic family favourite.

NSPAN

Pillowfight, Lonely City (2012)

Dan the Automator + Emily Wells. Yup, another one from Pillowfight. Not the last, either.

RON B

Asgeir, Kings and Cross (2013)

SCREEN203

Tinashe, Company (2016)

The female Disclosure (in terms of the amount of her songs on my list) channels Aaliyah here. Of note is the video, which is shot as one shot.

SHRYKE

Seether, Fine Again (2002)

These guys have had a pretty impressive run, and some great albums since their debut. For me, though, my very first exposure to them still stands head and shoulders above the rest of their songs. Shaun Morgan goes full Cobain as the tempo vacillates from soft to hard and back again, delivering the lyrics with equal parts artistry and emotion.

SIX

Explosions in the Sky, The Moon is Down (2001)

I love songs that take time to build. Not everything has to be 3 minutes of verse-chorus-verse. That’s why I gravitated towards post-rock. It allows you to appreciate each instrument individually and as a beautiful combination of wondrous sound. This does it so well, starting off so delicate and melancholic, until half-way in the dreamy guitar signals a shift, and drummer Chris Hrasky takes centre stage, adding beats bit by bit until the whole song climaxes perfectly, leaving me literally (and I mean literally) breathless.

SURFER

Radiohead, Idioteque (2000)

Growing up with Radiohead in the 90s, it took me a while to appreciate Kid A. However, over time and multiple plays, I found that song by song, the music they had created on this record was not only unique and interesting, but actually spectacular. From the eerieness of Everything In It's Right Place, the pounding of The National Anthem, the haunting, brooding nature of Optimistic and the yearning of Morning Bell, this was a Radiohead for a new millennium, and it was exciting and exhilarating. The peak of the album, after many, many listens, eventually became Idioteque. Driven by electronic beats more familiar within a dance club, it provides a focus for the whole album, as well as an insight into the direction the band would move, as both musically, lyrically and vocally you find yourself in a terrifying landscape filled with fear and paranoia.

TRANSFORMERS

Revocation, Scorched Earth Policy (2014)

This Revocation song is a bit less frantic than the previous one I posted (keep that in mind when your ears are bleeding after the 1st guitar solo). In all honesty though, it does get pretty melodic after the blistering opening, so the collective repulsion will likely be slightly lower this time around.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#31 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/26ioD ... UBr8xhqalQ

Missing: Pillowfight, Lonely City

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Thread Recap:
Chien:
40.Johnny Cash-I Hung My Head
39.Sebastian Tellier-L'amour et la Violence
38.Daft Punk-Within
37.Devotchika-How It Ends
36.David Bowie-Slip Away
35.Arcade Fire-Everything Now
34.Benjamin Biolay-Roma
33.Yasmine Hamdan-Hal
32.Franz Ferdinand-The Dark of the Matinee
31.La La Land-Another Day of Sun

Geezer:
40.Fall Out Boy-A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More “Touch Me”
39.System of a Down-Roulette
38.Green Day-Jesus of Suburbia
37.Alkaline Trio-Stupid Kid
36.Lil Dicky-Molly (feat. Brandon Urie)
35.Bad Religion-Sorrow
34.Against Me!-True Trans Soul Rebel
33.Dropkick Murphys-The Dirty Glass
32.The Gaslight Anthem-Great Expectations
31.Flogging Molly-Drunken Lullabies

JohnErle:
40.Steve Earle-City of Immigrants
39.The White Stripes-We Are Going to Be Friends
38.Shearwater-Black Eyes
37.Fleet Foxes-He Doesn't Know Why
36.Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Maps
35.Death Cab from Cutie-I Will Follow You Into the Dark
34.Patty Griffin-Ohio
33.Heartless Bastards-Parted Ways
32.Sparks-Unaware
31.Iron & Wine & Calexico-History of Lovers

Leestu:
40.King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Head On/Pill
39.FIDLAR-By Myself
38.Ball Park Music-Pariah
37.Pinegrove-Old Friends
36.Tool-Schism
35.Grouplove-Colours
34.King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Self-Immolate
33.Big Scary-The Opposite of Us
32.System of a Down-Chop Suey!
31.The White Stripes-Seven Nation Army

Nspan:
40.Ween-Even If You Don't
39.Foxygen-No Destruction
38.Zoot Woman-Living in a Magazine
37.The Warlocks-Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell
36.Gram Rabbit-Off with Your Head
35.Rapture-The Devil
34.Handsome Boy Modeling School-The PJs
33.Galatic-Bittersweet
32.The Brian Jones Town Massacre-Open Heart Surgery
31.Pillowfight-Lonely City

Ron B:
40.RUFUS-Underwater
39.Radiohead-Go to Sleep
38.Phoenix-1901
37.Daft Punk-One More Time
36.Outkast-Hey Ya!
35.Eminem-Stan
34.Outkast-Roses
33.Bassment Jaxx-Where's Your Head At?
32.Bluejuice-Vitriol
31.Asgeir-Kings and Cross

Screen:
40.Meg Myers-Tear Me to Pieces
39.KSHMR and Bassjackers-Memories (feat. Sirah)
38.Tove Lo-Cool Girl
37.Disclosure-Magnets (feat. Lorde)
36.Young M.A.-OOOUUU
35.Lana Del Rey-West Coast
34.Disclosure-You and Me (feat. Eliza Dolittle)
33.Rihanna-Rude Boy
32.Ingrid Michaelson-Girl Chase Boys
31.Tinashe-Company

Shryke:
40.Audioslave-Show Me How to Live
39.Within Temptation-Stand My Ground
38.Tori Amos-Taxi Ride
37.Disturbed-Stupify
36.Gnarls Barkley-Crazy
35.OneRepublic-Love Runs Out
34.”Weird Al” Yankovic-Word Crimes
33.Rob Thomas-Little Wonders
32.UB40-I'll Be Back
31.Seether-Fine Again

six:
40.Ryan Adams-Come Pick Me Up
39.Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds-Jubilee Street
38.Tom Waits-Hoist That Rag
37.Priests-Nothing Feels Natural
36.The National-Mistaken for Strangers
35.Sufjan Stevens-The Owl and the Tanager
34.Johnny Cash-Hurt
33.Liars-There's Always Room on the Broom
32.The Knife-Heartbeats
31.Explosions in the Sky-The Moon is Down

surfer:
40.Mike Krol-Like a Star
39.Sleater-Kinney-Jumpers
38.Lucy Dacus-I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore
37.Cloud Nothings-Wasted Days
36.Wilco-Hummingbird
35.At The Drive-In-Invalid Litter Dept.
34.PJ Harvey-Kamikaze
33.IDLES-Danny Nedelko
32.Sharon Van Etten-Afraid of Nothing
31.Radiohead-Idioteque

transformers:
40.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Black Bubblegum
39.The Mars Volta-Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
38.Protest the Hero-Blindfolds Aside
37.Rivers of Nihil-A Home
36.Killswitch Engage-The Element of One
35.Vince Staples-Norf Norf
34.Fallujah-Adrenaline
33.In Flames-Bullet Ride
32.The Faceless-Legion of the Serpent
31.Revocation-Scorched Earth Policy
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

Radiohead, Idioteque - is this the first song we've had from Kid A? A song that took a while to grow on me, probably because it was my first encounter with glitchy electronica, but like a few other songs from this album I ended up appreciating it and happily listen to it anytime

The Very Good

Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies - first listen...I do love an Irish sounding drinking song, it gives me an instant good mood much quicker than drinking Guinness does ...I really hope you have listened to some early Pogues if you love songs like this

The Good

Explosions in the Sky, The Moon is Down - first listen..this didn't move me or intrigue me as much as some post-rock does but I still liked it

Iron & Wine & Calexico, History Of Lovers - first listen...nice song...I have heard a little bit of both artists, but not together, and it does seem like a complimentary match

Seether, Fine Again - first listen...the problem with Seether (not that I've heard much of them) is that they seem to pale in comparison to Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and others they seem to imitate, without doing anything different, so that even if the songs themselves aren't bad there is no desire from me to listen to them instead of the classic bands of the grunge/post-grunge era

Pillowfight, Lonely City - first listen...not the normal way I listen to an album, 1 song at a time, a week apart, out of order (I assume, I haven't checked)...still although no song has blown me away the cumulative effect has interested me enough to maybe check out the album, although I probably won't due to having to remember it and youtube it, instead of just adding it to spotify to listen to later

Asgeir, Kings and Cross - he has a very nice voice, shame I usually find his songs a bit dull, although this was one was more interesting than most

The Okay

Revocation, Scorched Earth Policy - first listen...its okay...I don't mind the vocals, it's the music here that doesn't do much for me, it's hard to explain but it's the trebly(?) sound of those fast guitar solos that bug me a bit, taking into account the metal I prefer is the atmospheric post-metal like Agalloch, or sludgy/doom/stoner metal

La La Land, Another Day of Sun - first listen...I haven't seen the movie...it does feel like a proper song, just one that belongs in a musical

The Meh

Tinashe, Company - first listen...not my thing but it wasn't painful to listen to

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Eh, maybe if you posted City of Stars I could deal. But it's music designed for movement so without a video it doesn't do much, and the singers sound very am-dram. Maybe I'm biased because the film is so over-rated (I owe Moonlight endless gratitude for kicking its ass).
Geez: Move to Ireland, dude. Hell, just go for a week. You'll be sick of tourist-pub shit like this in a day.
John: Didn't know these collaborated but it makes sense. I was excited initially but a little underwhelmed after listening to it. Then again, it's very rare to see collaborations like this work.
Leetsu: Is this the song's first appearance? Surely not the last. Overplayed, for sure, but a great song. Funny fact: it was recorded in a tiny studio 5 minutes up the road from me, in a tiny 2-up-2-down house on an unassuming little street.
NSpan: Not sure if it's the Pillowfight project in general, but it seems when Dan the Automator pairs with a singer he becomes less interesting. Better than the Winstead songs, but still doesn't grab me.
Ron B: Not usually my kinda thing, but the vocals were nice.
Screen: Wasn't bad for manufactured pop that seems more interested in making its star act sexy then making memorable music. Those whoops and "whats" in the background are such a cliche of the 2010s (I believe it comes from Miami???), but the overall minimalism made it listenable for me.
Shryke: Sorry, dude, but this sounded like bargain basement grunge made about a decade too late.
Surf: I keep switching between Kid A and OK Computer as my favourite Radiohead album. Either way, this song is exceptional and came as a big shock to those of us who only saw authenticity in guitar music. But it won me over nearly instantly.
Tranny: You'd think after all these metal songs I'd start to get some of the intricacies and appreciate them. But no, sadly not.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

1 song from this round is on my list. That makes a total of 12 songs from my list.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 31 thoughts

Chien, La La Land - This song works great in the movie, the visual element is amazing with the music as it opens the film. Doesn't work so much for me without that element, but glad you get that magical feeling from it.

Geezer, Flogging Molly - Ha, as you say, I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse now, just one Irish pub singalong after another. Not for me. Sure they are much more appealing live though.

JohnErle, Calexico and Iron & Wine - Really lovely stuff, will definitely seek out this record as I have always found their individual efforts very nice and this sounded great too.

Leestu, The White Stripes - Great stuff again, loved how they followed up on their breakout album with a single as strong as this.

Nspan, Pillowfight - Enjoyed the vocals and the more atmospheric beats, felt like a lot Gorillaz track.

Ron, Asgeir - His voice reminded me a little of a poppier Bon Iver, musically didn't really work for me, though.

Screen, Tinashe - Pretty standard pop as far as my untrained ears can hear. Not for me.

Shryke, Seether - I recall these were pretty big in NZ while I lived there. Don't think they ever really made any waves in the UK though. Pretty standard rock with the singer aping Cobain perhaps a little too much. No issue if I heard it on the radio though.

Six, Explosions In The Sky - Definitely one of the best songs from the band, possibly my second favourite track of theirs after my own pick. As you say, I love the progression of the song here.

Tranny, Revocation - Didn't really hear much in the way of melody, but you are right, it was definitely not as abrasive as the last couple of rounds. Still not a fan of the vocals, though.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Another Day Of Sun – It's a proper song, just not one I'd ever listen to. I think this was from the opening freeway sequence, which I quite liked in the context of the movie.

Flogging Molly – I much prefer them to the Dropkick Murphys because they lean way more heavily into the Celtic sound, but they're still not in the same league as the Pogues. They have their moments, though. This one ain't too bad, even though the production is for shit.

Seven Nation Army – It's a classic I never want to hear again as long as I live.

King And Cross – Pleasant enough, but I doubt it'll stick with me.

Tinashe – Nope.

Seether – A decade late and a dollar short. Wikipedia says they're from South Africa so I guess I can't blame them for being so late to the party. I was done with grunge long before these guys showed up.

The Moon Is Down – It's nice and the production is terrific, but it sounds nearly identical to the stuff I already know. I might feel differently if I'd heard this first, but it just sounds like a first draft of Your Hand In Mine.

Idioteque – More interesting than genuinely appealing. I wouldn't turn it off if it showed up in a Spotify playlist, but I'd never scroll down to find it either.

Revocation – The demon vocals didn't seem as over-the-top silly this time, and it was short enough that I listened all the way through. Still not for me.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Rob Thomas, Little Wonders (2007) (I'm not blown away, but I finished it. Not bad)
IDLES, Danny Nedelko (2018) (Not bad Surfer. Its a little off from my wheelhouse, but its in the same ballpark)

Love It
Basement Jaxx, Where's Your Head At? (2001) (Yeah this track is straight fire. Even better after you've tied a good buzz on)

Meh
Yasmine Hamdan, Hal (2012)
Heartless Bastards, Parted Ways (2012)
Big Scary, The Opposite Of Us (2016)
Galactic, Bittersweet (2003)
In Flames, Bullet Ride (2000) (I got through a solid minute of this. If nothing else, this countdown has proven my theory that music is the most subjective thing human beings have ever created, or will ever create for that matter)

Loathe It
Rihanna, Rude Boy (2009)
Liars, There’s Always Room on the Broom (2004) (You follow up Johnny Cash with this? I don't see how it is possible for any living human to think that this nonsense sounds better than Johnny Cash's Hurt, but here we are. Quite possibly the worst thing I've heard you post)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Franz Ferdinand, The Dark of the Matinée (2004) (I'm not blown away, but I finished it. Not bad)
Ingrid Michaelson, Girls Chase Boys (2014) (I actually like this one, Screen. Its catchy as hell and the message as you say is really good)

Love It
System Of A Down, Chop Suey! (2001) (A crossover! No surprise that it's from Leestu)

Meh
Sparks, Unaware (2017)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Open Heart Surgery (2001)
Bluejuice, Vitriol (2007)
UB40, I’ll Be Back (2005)
The Knife, Heartbeats (2003)
Sharon Van Etten, Afraid Of Nothing (2014)

Loathe It
The Faceless, Legion of the Serpent (2008) (Honestly I'll never be able to top Six's description so I won't even try)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It

Love It
The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army (2003) (Still a great song. That riff just never seems to get old)

Meh
La La Land, Another Day of Sun (2016)
Iron & Wine & Calexico, History Of Lovers (2005)
Pillowfight, Lonely City (2012) (And people say that MY taste is narrow. I think you have listened to like 6 total artists in the last 20 years. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Asgeir, Kings and Cross (2013)
Seether, Fine Again (2002) (This song was used in a Madden game back in the day and I'll be fine if I never hear it again... see what I did there?)
Explosions in the Sky, The Moon is Down (2001) (I love that I now know what to expect from anything from Explosions in the Sky... really long periods of absolutely nothing that interests me. It cuts down on me wasting my time)

Loathe It
Tinashe, Company (2016) (I mean, at least she's nice to look at, I'll give you that)
Radiohead, Idioteque (2000) (I prefer Tranny's Death Metal to this)
Revocation, Scorched Earth Policy (2014) (Though that's not saying much)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer - Drunken Lullabies - My favorite FM song. Don't listen to Six, he's a mean drunk. :lol: Great choice. 7.5/10

JohnErle - History of Lovers - Really enjoyed this. Had a Traveling Wilburys feel to it, and then the horns kicked in! Sweeeet! 7/10

Ron B - Kings and Cross - Is this guy the Icelandic version of John Mayer? Or maybe Jack Johnson? I kinda liked it. 6.5/10

Leestu - Seven Nation Army - I was once sick of this song, but my weariness has cooled since then. It's a good song. 6/10

NSpan - Lonely City - Not bad, kind of meh. 6/10

Screen - Company - Kinda weird to hear you describe Tinashe as the "female Disclosure", seeing as how all the Disclosure songs feature female vocalists... anyway, it was just okay. Not my thing. 6/10

Six - The Moon is Down - Nothing against the 'Splosions, but the buildup was about the only positive thing I have about this song. 5.5/10

Chien - Another Day of Sun - Didn't see the movie, don't like musicals. Song was okay, I guess. If it makes you feel better, I'm doing jazz hands while typing this. :D 5.5/10

Tranny - Scorched Earth Policy - Sorry, dude, incomprehensible lyrics knock 4 points off every time. The guitars were okay. 5.5/10

Surfer - Idioteque - I only like a handful of Radiohead songs. This isn't one of them. 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Flogging Molly, Drunken Lullabies : Indeed there is a pattern of songs here. Not my kind of songs, but I guess in a pub it's fine.

John, Iron & Wine & Calexico, History Of Lovers : Iron & Wine is a fine band, always easy to listen to. Not a big fan, but never a bother to listen to.

Leestu, The White Stripes, Seven Nation Army : One of the most perfect hits of this century, no matter how overused it's been.

NSpan, Pillowfight, Lonely City : Pillowfight, hmmm, the name does sound familiar ;) Still pleasant to listen to, despite the fact I'll have forgotten it soon.

Ron, Asgeir, Kings and Cross : Sweet little song, very minor, but still a good vibe growing in it.

Screen, Tinashe, Company : Not something I'd want to listen to again.

Shryke, Seether, Fine Again : It's alright, sounds like a hundred other songs to me, but it's listenable.

Six, Explosions in the Sky, The Moon is Down : it's not bad. Based on your description I was expecting something else in terms of intensity and climax.
Atmospheric more than anything else to me.

Radiohead, Radiohead, Idioteque : All those years after, I'm still no huge fan of this song. There are aspects of it I like, but as a wholeit leaves me colder than most of Radiohead stuff.

Revocation, Scorched Earth Policy : Obviously, it's a no ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur