Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Post by Shrykespeare »

And lo, we begin the second half of our countdown!

Same as before - you have 24 hours to get your picks in to me via Facebook, PM, or email. I've numbered the songs to make it easier for y'all to list your guesses.

Can SOMEONE beat Six this time? His head is growing beyond the borders of his confinement...

#50 (MYSTERY ROUND)

1. Queens of the Stone Age, Feel Good Hit of the Summer (2000)

2. OutKast, Ms. Jackson (2000)

3. …And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Relative Ways (2001)

4. Eminem, Lose Yourself (2002)

5. Modest Mouse, Float On (2004)

6. The Killers, Mr. Brightside (2004)

7. The Rapture, Don Gon Do It (2006)

8. M.I.A., Paper Planes (2008)

9. Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams, Get Lucky (2013)

10. FKA Twigs, Two Weeks (2014)

11. Jason Derulo, Cheyenne (2015)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Post by numbersix »

Fucking hell, this is the hardest by far.

Most songs could be by any 3 of you, and at least 2 of you love that song enough to put it in your Top 100. So I have to decide if it's now or further ont he list.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 6:17 pm
Fucking hell, this is the hardest by far.

Most songs could be by any 3 of you, and at least 2 of you love that song enough to put it in your Top 100. So I have to decide if it's now or further ont he list.

I predict the winner will get no more than 5 or 6 right.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Very challenging. Its the type of round where if you are off by one, it can throw off every guess and snowball effect to having very bad guesses. I just hope I got more than fucking 2.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, having half right would be almost miraculous this time, very challenging.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

First, the results:

FINALLY, Someone put Six in his place. But then, this round was TOUGH.

Leestu, 4/10
Chien, 4/10

JohnErle, 3/10
Six, 3/10
Tranny, 3/10
Geezer, 3/10
Screen, 2/10
Surfer, 1/10
NSpan, 0/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Next, the answers.

CHIEN

Get Lucky, Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams, Get Lucky (2013)

I usually introduce the French artists I list here, but do I really need to introduce Daft Punk ? Probably the biggest French musicians on the planet those last two decades. Is “Get lucky” their most popular hit ? It may be, it’s just so damn funky and cool on the ear. The kind of song you can listen to again and again without ever getting bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkeIwhKIi84

GEEZER

The Killers, Mr. Brightside (2004)

I don't think it is going out on a limb to say that this song should be new to none of you. Its almost unequivocally the biggest hit on my whole countdown. I loved this song thoroughly, and the album it was on, when it came on. Haven't listened to a ton of Killers since, but I will still listen to this all the way through. There's a reason this one was so massive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdGFtwCNBE

JOHNERLE

... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Relative Ways (2001)

Yeah, I know, the band name sounds like one of Tranny's and the music could be one of Geezer's, and critics raved about the album so it could belong to Six, Surfer or Leestu, and the album is so heavily compressed I should probably hate it. Mystery Round, here we come!

Also: All Saints Day, Baudelaire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkW9w4LQZuo

LEESTU

M.I.A., Paper Planes (2008)

Fun and catchy. Great use of samples (not just the gun sounds, and the cash register, but I love the way they have used Straight To Hell, one of my favourite The Clash songs). A song that has stood the test of time. At the time, hearing it everywhere, I was sure I would tire of hearing it eventually, but now, I appreciate it even more than I did back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y

NSPAN

Rapture, Don Gon Do It (2006)

Another killer track from the Rapture. Not my first track track from them, nor my last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqskmZexVBA

RON B

Eminem, Lose Yourself (2002)

I stopped listening to new Eminem stuff a long time ago, but there is no denying when he was good, he was pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s

SCREEN203

Modest Mouse, Float On (2004)

I'm not familiar with Modest Mouse beyond this song, so I can't criticize or praise them as a band. This is a classic on its own merits though. One of the only songs in recent memory that manages to actually be uplifting and emotional at the same time. Important message nowadays, especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88XhEqgmRhM

SHRYKE

Jason Derulo, Cheyenne (2015)

I can’t quite remember when or how I heard this song for the first time, but for something so far outside my usual box, it grabbed me instantly. Jason’s got a killer range, and when he hit that falsetto high note, that was it. I love the dancy groove that permeates the song, as well as the rather dark, sinister vibe that underscores the beat. I don’t usually like videos that look like they took a thousand people and millions of dollars to produce, but this one was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNi0gyO41VQ

SIX

FKA Twigs, Two Weeks (2014)

Around the turn of the last decade, pop music started to get really interesting. People raised on contemporary American R&B of the 90s and 00s started to bring other influences into a genre I had no interest in. And they made it very, very interesting. I’ve another example coming up in a few days, but FKA Twigs hit the ground running with a promising EP and this single from her debut album. It’s a song that manages to combine hurt and horniness, the lyrics full of longing while the synths swirl and overwhelm. Miserable masturbation has never sounded so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc

SURFER

Queens Of The Stone Age, Feel Good Hit Of The Summer (2000)

I think Geezer posted a couple of weeks back in regards to a track that he thinks is a perfect song about getting high, despite never actually being on drugs. While I have also refrained from such contraband, for me, this is the song I could probably most imagine to be the perfect song for such an occasion! Those opening thumps of the bass, the squealing guitars and the mix of Nick Olivieri's vocals with Josh Homme's hammering down those lines, it's a perfect few minutes of sludge, psych rock. It's an intoxicating song and one that is best played at 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXPUN2z2CE

TRANSFORMERS

OutKast, Ms. Jackson (2000)

Considering the extremes of my tastes, the prospect of having no crossover picks seemed very likely to me. When this lovely track from Outkast's masterful Stankonia LP appeared on Leestu's list, it was a welcome surprise and nice reminder that common ground can sometimes be found when or where you least expect it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSD2J8yaMmM

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Get Lucky - Love love love this song. This is coming up later for me. 10/10

Ron B - Lose Yourself - Some people thought this was mine, which is fair, as I've already had two of Marshall's songs. This one JUST missed the final cut. 9/10

Tranny - Ms. Jackson - Great song. For the second time in this countdown, I loved it. 8/10

Leestu - Paper Planes - Catchy as hell. Gets stuck in your head. Which is why I'm moving on before I find myself humming it in my sleep. Oh, damn, too late... 7.5/10

Geezer - Mr. Brightside - The first Killers song I remember hearing. Great tune, great video. Eric Roberts is such a hammy bad guy. 7.5/10

NSpan - Don Gon Do It - Wow, an NSpan millenial song that actually sounds like it's FROM this millennium. In which case, I liked it. 7/10

JohnErle - Relative Ways - Good song. The band name is jacked up, but I guess that doesn't matter if you have a cool sound. 6.5/10

Six - Two Weeks - Don't know the Twigs, but they're quite interesting. 6/10

Screen203 - Float On - So much familiarity in this round! Another song I know well, and like. 6/10

Surfer - Feel Good Hit of the Summer - great guitar work, typical of the Queens. Not my fave of theirs, but a good one. 6/10

Wow. Not one dud in the bunch. Excellent choices, people!! Only NSpan's, John's, and Six's picks were ones I'd never heard before, and they were both terrific. Keep it up (though I know that's not gonna happen...)!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, some big surprises here

Chien: got this one right. It was actually one of the harder ones to get right. I thought maybe Lose Yourself or Paper Planes due to the movie connections, but then I remembered DP are French. The song when I first heard it sounded derivative and unoriginal, but it has grown on me. It's the kind of song you're glad it's being played in a bar instead of some other crap.

Geez: Also got this right. Normally you're the easiest to figure out - sweaty men/trans ladies shouting pub anthems. This anthemic song was as close as it could get, although I also considered Lose Yourself. It's The Killers' best song by far. Good choice.

John: This really surprised me. In fact, I had no idea what your song was this round. I think I put you down for MIA because it was the last one left to attribute (and because of the Clash connection). This is a good song. I prefer Another Morning Stoner from the same record, but this is damn good, and very un-John-esque.

Leetsu: I was convinced it was Float On. A little part of me thought it might be too early for you, but I played it safe and failed. Paper Planes is an excellent song, and one I thought would have come up by now. I'm expecting it to appear a few more times considering how ubiquituous it was back in the day.

NSpan: Got this. You like The Rapture, I like the Rapture, let's go party!

Ron B: Thought this might be yours, but stuck you down for Outkast instead. I always prefer funnier Eminem, but it's listenable enough.

Screen: This is surely a pick no one got. Damn, what a surprise, considering your picks are mostly pop, R&B, and Chelsea Wolfe :D Great song, obviously, as it was just on my list.

Shryke: I thought this was Screen's track. It's very him. This is not quite for me, but I get the appeal.

Surf: I had you down for Trail of the Dead. I knew you like QOTSA, but I figured Tranny loved them more. I actually don't have any of their albums, but considering I love everything I've heard from this album, I really gotta get it.

Tranny: Surely QOTSA was yours, dammit! This song is nice.

Dang, that was so difficult. But lots of great, recognised songs here. Wonder if this is a good sign of what else is to come. Hopefully no more Nickelback!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

No, Six, no more Nickelback. Or Smash Mouth. Only one more Disturbed left.

I'm sure I can come up with something else for y'all to hate on...

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 6:23 pm
Wow, some big surprises here

John: This really surprised me. In fact, I had no idea what your song was this round. I think I put you down for MIA because it was the last one left to attribute (and because of the Clash connection). This is a good song. I prefer Another Morning Stoner from the same record, but this is damn good, and very un-John-esque.
Yeah, Trail Of Dead are probably the last modern band to do heavy rock the way I like it. I spent much of the 90s annoying my neighbours by playing Badmotorfinger as loud as I could, so this isn't too far removed from classic Soundgarden.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm
No, Six, no more Nickelback. Or Smash Mouth. Only one more Disturbed left.

I'm sure I can come up with something else for y'all to hate on...
I've got some extra special snark saved up for your next Joe Satriani pick.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Fuck I really thought I had it figured out, but that Screen "Float On" really started a fucking avalanche of wrong answers, as I predicted.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Knew I shouldn't overthought this so much. Would've had 6 if I stuck to my initial predictions, but of course I dicked around with it until I had only 3 (and none of those changes were correct).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!