Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Interpol, Rest My Chemistry (2007)

I’ve had my Interpol period when I listened to them quite a lot. The one song I’m always, in the end, coming back to is this one.The guitar is so great in it, but not just that, there is something aerial in it, that makes the song trippy.

Above link didn't work for me. Here's another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3vjUVbgwE

GEEZER

System of a Down, Deer Dance (2001)

It may not be one of their hits from the record, but I actually think this is the best song on Toxicity. It is lyrically powerful, and displays everything about System of a Down that made them so different, so special and so very addicting at the turn of the century.

JOHNERLE

Patty Griffin - Little God (2000/2013)

"All the strippers think you're odd, but you leave the biggest tips"

Patty Griffin has been the reigning queen of weepy Americana for so long it's easy to forget her 90s sound was closer to Liz Phair or PJ Harvey. In 2000 she recorded an album called Silver Bell which was deemed unreleasable by her record label, so it sat on the shelf for 13 years, became heavily bootlegged, and achieved mythic status among her fans before it was finally released commercially. The album was her Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Also: Truth #2, Boston

LEESTU

Gang Of Youths, The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows (2017)

One of the most important Australian bands over the last few years. Yes, they may be bombastic, and musically a bit stadium rock, which may put people off, but they are out there on the front lines, highlighting and fighting the struggles of mental health, both in their lyrics and interviews, with songs like Say Yes To Life, The Heart Is A Muscle, What Can I Do When The Fire Goes Out, and fan favourite Magnolia (a song about the lead singer’s attempted suicide). They have a large, and growing, dedicated fanbase, who are claiming this band has literally helped them through dark times and improved their lives. This is my favourite song of theirs, but I highly recommend both of their albums.

NSPAN

Frank Black, Massif Central (2003)

I love all things Frank Black. This track stands out to me because it feels totally representative of his solo career with just a touch of that old Pixies magic.

RON B

Justice, On’n’on (2011)

How about some French electronic rock by a duo? Nope not Daft Punk, as much as i love em. I first discovered this song on an Airplane of all places! I loved their previous album, but this had some great highlights, including this song.

SCREEN203

Gwen Stefani, Hollaback Girl (2004)

I might have been exaggerating when I said Gwen would be much higher on the list. This is still an all-time classic though. The subtle synth that creeps in in the later choruses is brilliant. Besides that, this is one of the few songs that works based on drums alone (Phil Collins's In The Air Tonight and the earlier Carrion Flowers by Chelsea Wolfe are some of the others), and I love the 2000's time capsule of a music video. Also, what other song teaches you how to spell bananas?

SHRYKE

311, Count Me In (2011)

The moment I heard this, with it’s quirky beat and jumpy lyrics, I was hooked. I can take or leave most of 311’s stuff, but this one stuck with me all these years. I love the tempo changes and the crunchy guitars (less so the rap parts), but it always gets my toes tapping.

Sesame Street Version (funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1CWf1C89M

SIX

HEALTH, Die Slow (2009)

Just as the post-punk revival struck its death knell, along came a few bands that were freer and arguably better because the “scene” no longer existed. Out of LA emerged these guys, who sculpt noise like the best of them. This song shows how they’re able to craft static AND create a shoegazing sonic landscape worthy of My Bloody Valentine.

SURFER

Pile, Prom Song (2012)

Pile are the best band no-one has ever heard of. Basically, they are the Velvet Underground of our times. Anyone who has heard them, have pretty much gone on to form their own band in their image. Over the past 15 years or so the band have evolved from a Rick Maguire solo act with scratchy recordings in his bedroom to a fully fledged band capable of writing the most intense and challenging songs in a way no one else is capable of. And while their albums are all fantastic in their own right, Dripping has long been my favourite. It contains many of their best hits, one of which is Prom Song, a crushing song which switches between genres and pace to stunning effect. What makes Pile stand out, beyond Maguire's howling/drawled vocal delivery, is their ability to mix song structures, avoiding the usual verse chorus in favour of something a little off kilter, and indeed changing the chord progressions themselves. What results is a song that continually surprises, yet completely draws you in from that first breathe. And that guitar solo.

TRANSFORMERS

Death Grips, I've Seen Footage (2012)

There's hardcore hip-hop. Then there's Death Grips. "I've Seen Footage" is a thoroughly inaccessible banshee cry of a song that is the musical equivalent of setting a trio of angry, coked-up gentlemen loose in a BDSM club at 4 AM.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Much better for 48

Chien: I love Interpol. This album was the start of the end when it came to my obsession with them. But it has some good track like this, and The Scale. Everything off the first 2 albums are better, but this is still great!

Geez: This is kinda wild and crazy and angry and funny. I used to hate but now I kinda like it.

John: This is the Parasite of your picks. I thought I knew what I'd be getting but it changed and turned in interesting directions. Nice choice!

Leetsu: This just made me think of The Killers. And I don't like The Killers.

NSpan: I've never been that drawn to Frank Black's stuff, but this song did have some of that Pixies dust.

Ron B: I thought Justice were a bit harder in their music. Maybe this is a nice song? It was decent. No Daft Punk though.

Screen: Gotta admit, I kinda dig this song. I think around this era some producer was listening to post-punk, with its sparse production and emphasis on percussion, and I think it infiltrated pop for a little while. See "Maneater" by Nelly Furtado as well.

Shryke: This song is VERY you :)

Surf: Yep, I don't know em. Actually, not quite true - my wife knows them and put them on a playlist for me. This song was exceptional. Has a little bit of Albini's influence- like Shellac. Geez, these are a bunch from Boston you should be getting drunk to.

Tranny: Yeah, like this balance between punk and hip-hop. Scary at times, but fascinating too.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six - I wanted to retort that this song is very YOU... but I can't. It's got a harder edge than I'm used to with you. Reminded me of early NIN ("Head Like a Hole"), but the singer's voice is less grating than Trent's. Easily one of my faves of yours (I'm not holding out hope we'll have a crossover.) 8.5/10

Chien - Rest My Chemistry - Definitely one of the coolest songs you've had (that I hadn't heard before). Great choice! 8/10

Geezer - Deer Dance - DAAAAAMN. That song kicked ASS! How have I never heard it before?? Thanks for introducing! Serj rocks! 8/10

Ron B - On'n'on - Reallllly cool, Ron. In the same genre as Daft Punk, yet still distinctive. 7.5/10

Leestu - The Deepest Sighs, The Frankest Shadows - First, LOVE the song title. Nothing wrong with bombastic OR stadium rock. Yeah, there was just a hint of U2 in their sound, but that doesn't grate on me like it will on some OTHERS around here... 7/10

JohnErle - Little God - This song went to some interesting places. And some weird ones. As a whole... not sure. 6/10

Screen203 - I had a Gwen/No Doubt song early on my list (Hella Good), but I have to side more with Brian than Chris Rock on this song. Never liked it, never will. 4.5/10

NSpan - Massif Central - I'm not black like Barry White, but I'm white like Frank Black is. Sorry, where was I going? Oh yeah, didn't care for it. Burn, motherfucker.... 4.5/10

Tranny - I've seen footage - That was the musical equivalent of... yeah, you pretty much pegged it. Not for me. 4/10

Surfer - Prom Song - I'm sure you'll blame my opinion on the fact that my ears have been poisoned by radio-friendly sludge for most of my life, but this just felt like off-key dissonance to me. (Feel free to mention Nickelback in your rebuttal, even though I really only truly like the one song of theirs.) 3.5/10

WTF.... Six and Chien leading the pack for the day?? (Adopts The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy voice) "Have we slipped into Bizarro-World?"

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Pile, Prom Song - yes a very underrated band...a great mix of noise rock, post-hardcore, and indie rock...the noisy ending of this song is fantastic

The Excellent

System of a Down, Deer Dance - definitely one of the best album tracks from this album...but then again they all are, there is no filler on this album...great lyrics

The Great

Death Grips, I've Seen Footage - I love their experimental hard edged hip hop...love the guitar/synth? hooky riff throughout this song...Hacker is another highlight from this album...

Interpol, Rest My Chemistry - first listen...that guitar was great...possibly the best post debut Interpol song I've heard

Patty Griffin - Little God - first listen...stupid record label...that was great!...the song progressed to end up different to what I was expecting at the beginning...great, clear vocals...cool guitar sound

The Very Good

HEALTH, Die Slow - first listen...I really like the contrast of the dreamy vocals and the noisy music...I haven't heard their earlier work yet but their last couple of albums, which seem a bit heavier musically compared to this, are great

The Good

Frank Black, Massif Central - first listen...just enough Frank Black weirdness to be an enjoyable song

The Okay

Justice, On’n’on - first listen...trippy video...the song is okay...While we're talking about French electronic acts I'll take Ratatat over Justice and Daft Punk any day

The Rest

Gwen Stefani, Hollaback Girl - I get that this is a diss track but coming down to their level to fight back doesn't excuse the juvenile lyrics in my mind...the beats don't do much for me either...this song always makes me groan

311, Count Me In - first listen...possibly the softest crunchy guitar song I've ever heard...all that sweetness makes it toothless so there is no bite to this song at all, it just sucks

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Leestu wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am
While we're talking about French electronic acts I'll take Ratatat over Justice and Daft Punk any day
But Ratatat aren't French ! Sacrebleu ! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Random Thoughts

Sometime Around Midnight (live) – That was a pretty solid performance and the recording solves most of the issues I have with the over-compression on the album. Maybe I should dig a little deeper with these guys.

Die Slow – Based on the title I assumed it would be another 13-minute dirge, but that was lively, cool, and short! ADDED.

Two Weeks – Based on the title I assumed it would last two weeks, but no. I'm pretty sure I heard this before, but it's really good. ADDED.

Gang Of Youths – Never heard of them, but that was a pretty good first impression. It would go well on a playlist with The National and Doves. I'm not sure the strings worked, but I'll give this more spins. ADDED.

Justice – I remember listening to their debut but have no memory of what it was like, yet I wasn't expecting this. It wasn't bad. Could go either way with me. ADDED.

I've Seen Footage – Hah! That was way more accessible than most hip-hop for me. At times it even reminded me of classic Run DMC like Tricky. Sorry to disappoint you but... ADDED!

Get Lucky – One of the very few modern hit singles I like. I could probably get sick of it if I heard it too often, though, and the album version is way too repetitive.

Jason Durelo – I never expected to like this, but it was so damn 80s. It's another one I could get sick of pretty quickly, but for now... ADDED.

Interpol – It all sounds the same, but in small doses I like these guys.

Boy & Bear – This is another song where I thought it was The Black Keys at first. It had its moments, but I could have done without the sax.

God Bless Our Dead Marines – I wasn't expecting a song with so much fiddle and cello from you. There were parts I liked, but other parts just left me restless and bored. I don't suppose there's a four-minute radio edit out there? No? I didn't think so.

QOTSA – All I ever hear with these guys is a bunch of studio trickery masking the fact that they're not playing anything very interesting.

Lose Yourself – If you put a gun to my head and forced me to listen to an Eminem song, this would be the one.

Float On - If you put a gun to my head and forced me to listen to a Modest Mouse song, this would be the one.

Mr. Brightside - If you put a gun to my head and forced me to listen to a Killers song, I'd embrace the sweet mercy of death.

Sleep Walk – Damnit, Shryke! I've been sitting on some weapons-grade, scorched earth snark tailor-made for Joe Satriani and you had to go and post something decent from him! Sure, it's about the 100th version of that song, and even the original sounds like a knock-off of Blue Moon to me, so it's not exactly overflowing with originality, but it is a pleasant enough listen.

You Know You Like It – Pretty sure I don't.

Deer Dance – WTF was that? You've been getting a lot of shit for all your picks sounding the same, but that was definitely different.

Hollaback Girl – WTF happened to Gwen Stefani? Tragic Kingdom was awesome.

311 – I'm pretty sure I've never heard a band combine white boy funk, white boy rap, and white boy reggae in the same song before. That's a sort of accomplishment, I guess.

Paper Planes – Ugh. There's absolutely nothing of value here that wasn't stolen from the Clash. And the gunshot/cash register samples are beyond pathetic. Fuck this shit.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Honestly, there's not much I liked this round.
I found Patty Griffin, Frank Black and Justice to be the more enjoyable of the bunch, but the rest didn't do much for me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Dammit, I just wrote a whole post on the past round then hit the wrong button and lost it all. Nevermind. Loved HEALTH, Gwen, Patti Griffin, Interpol and System Of A Down (need to revisit the albums from the last two, pegged Our Love To Admire as just a record with No I In Threesome and The Heinrich Manoeuvre, while SOAD just for Aerials, Chop Suey and the title track), like Frank Black and Death Grips, not to interested in the rest.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chienfantome wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 9:53 am
Leestu wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 4:42 am
While we're talking about French electronic acts I'll take Ratatat over Justice and Daft Punk any day
But Ratatat aren't French ! Sacrebleu ! ;)
Huh! You are right of course. I must have misheard or misread something once and it just stuck in my head they were French. Oops :oops: Ratatat are still better than Daft Punk though :D

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Eddy de Pretto, Kid (2017)

Eddy de Pretto took France by storm a couple of years ago. A young, frail, unexpected 24 year-old gay guy mixing hip hop and French variety music singing about his homophobia, the fear of the others, and sexual identities. He became the biggest of the French stage in a second. This is my favorite song of his, in which he sings as a sort of dialogue between a father who wants his kid to be masculine and him, the kid who doesn’t feel he is what his father expects him to be. A few lyrics...

“You’ll be virile, my son, I don’t want to see any tear run on this heroic face, and that body sculpted to reach fantastic heights, that only dreams can surpass.
You’ll be virile my son, I don’t want to see any ounce of femininity, no looks, no gestures meaning that, God knows it’s the worst to come, castrate you for some vocalyzing.”
“But I play with the girls, I don’t laud my dick, and I will accelerate your wrinkles, so that your words stop and disappear.”

GEEZER

Frank Turner, Get Better (2015)

The fact that Frank Turner is making his debut on this countdown inside the top 50 just shows you how I feel about him. I do consider his catalog a little top heavy, but when he is on the top of his game, I could argue there is no one better in the world. Hope you enjoy, there's a couple more in here to come.

JOHNERLE

Shearwater, You As You Were (2012)

This song is both an accessible introduction to and the last hurrah for Shearwater's early sound. After this they switched gears and started sounding like countless other bands, but this is the closest Shearwater ever came to recording a potential hit single while still maintaining at least some of what made them distinctive.

LEESTU

Car Seat Headrest, Beach Life-In-Death (2011)

There is more CSH to come, but this is my favourite of their early extremely lo-fi DIY indie rock. If someone was to ask me what are early CSH like? This song is the answer.

NSPAN

Dandy Warhols, We Used to be Friends (2003)

This song might be over-exposed, thanks to a certain TV show... but it's among the Dandys' best nonetheless.

RON B

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Can’t Stop (2003)

Funk/Punk? I don't know, just know i used to love this song, still is pretty good.

SCREEN203

Tinashe, Party Favors (2016)

This is the album version from Nightride, with only Tinashe on the vocals.

Brilliantly hazy, this trip of a song has great singing from Tinashe. It also has a great backing beat both intoxicating and eerie at once.

SHRYKE

Thomas Dolby feat. Eddi Reader, Oceanea (2011)

Thomas Dolby is one of the most undervalued, underappreciated geniuses in the history of music. He’s spent his life engineering new ways to make sound, and has used that gift to not only make great music, but to be an innovator and entrepreneur in ways most people don’t realize. Example: the ability to download music on your phone is something most people take for granted now. But it was Thomas who first pioneered the concept and made it happen.

As to his music… almost everyone who remembers Thomas Dolby does so for his 80’s hit “She Blinded Me With Science.” Which is a fucking crime, because it’s not even close to his best. I’ve listened to all of his albums more times than I can count, and his lyrics are among the best you’ll find, anywhere. (Pick any song of his at random and look up the lyrics. Go ahead. I’ll wait…)

He’s only done one album this millennium (A Map of the Floating City), and it’s not only brilliant, it’s his most experimental album to date. He dabbles in country and jazz, infusing it into his unique pop style. Oceanea is a tender, wistful ballad that showcases his softer side as well as his singular voice. He’s joined by Eddi Reader, a Scottish songbird whose lilting tones are a perfect accompaniment. Enjoy.

SIX

Perfume Genius, Grid (2014)

I had liked Perfume Genius’s ambient music up until 2014. But then something changed. It’s like Mike Hadreas got sick of hiding and dived into the limelight, releasing a fearless album that year called Too Bright. This is the highlight, a brave, brash punk song filtered through electro pop and a sprinkling of soul.

Try this if the above doesn't work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoxKIpav5M

SURFER

Mitski, Townie (2014)

I discovered Mitski on the back of this record almost 6 years ago, and have been completely on love with everything she has done ever since. And while her sound and stage presence have certainly evolved over the course of those years, there is still something quite alluring about her early works. Townie, from her third record but her first on an actual label, found Mitski addressing social and parental conformities over surf-noise pop riffs. Stuck in the middle of a post party adolescent existential crisis, their is both a sadness and an determination to the song, and you get the feeling that by its culmination Mitski has found the answer she was looking for.

TRANSFORMERS

After the Burial, Drifts (2008)

I'm so sorry to keep exposing you guys to this shit. Just be thankful that in roughly a month's time, you'll be able to forget about this corner of the musical world and go back to living your Satan-free lives.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Very Good

Perfume Genius, Grid - one of his better songs, with some interesting sounds but I would like it to be just a little bit longer

Frank Turner, Get Better - first listen...works for me...good lyrics

Mitski, Townie - first listen...a bit more noisy guitar and dissonance than I am used to from later Mitski and that's a good thing

Dandy Warhols, We Used to be Friends - luckily I know not what show you are referring to so it's not overplayed for me, and is always an enjoyable blast from the past singalong (and clapalong) when it comes on

The Good

Shearwater, You As You Were - first listen...nice song...I didn't mind Jet Plane And Oxbow (the only album of theirs I've heard), so the quality mustn't have dropped off that much

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Can’t Stop - aaahhh, when RHCP stopped trying and just wrote and released slightly different variations of what had worked in the past...having said that this is one of the better tracks on the album because it's still got a bit of funk thanks to Flea, but the chorus is a bit stale

The Okay

After the Burial, Drifts - first listen...just a little bit too much

Eddy de Pretto, Kid - first listen - I'm sure I would appreciate the lyrical content, but musically it didn't do much for me

Thomas Dolby feat. Eddi Reader, Oceanea - nice, but a bit too much background music-ish for me

The Meh

Tinashe, Party Favors - first listen...I didn't mind the backing beat