Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B – Everything Now – This was great. Truly awesome song. 8/10

Geezer – Daylight – This was a lot of fun. Love the video. Wonderfully wacky. 7.5/10

Surfer – Two Weeks – Song was really good. Video was just creepy. 7/10

Tranny – Helena – I like a few MCR songs. This is one of them. 6.5/10

Six – Dance Slow Decades – Not bad, but I don’t see myself falling in love with it. 6/10

JohnErle – Berlin – Not bad, but not something I’ll remember. 5.5/10

NSpan – Afrosurrealismfortheladies – Did nothing for me. 5/10

Leestu – On GP – Hated the guy’s voice. The guitars were good though. 3.5/10

Screen – Nightcrawler – So not for me. Hated the lyrics. 3/10

Chien – The Sound of Silence – Ye gods, this was awful. The vocals, the screechy violin, I’m surprised I got through it. I’ve heard a million covers of this song, and this was the worst. Sorry, dude. 2/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Radiohead, 2 + 2 = 5 (2003)

I was so much into Radiohead in the 90’s, I must confess I haven’t listened to them as much as I should have in the 21st century. But I still did, specifically their album “Hail to the thief”, which is fantastic. 2 + 2 = 5 is a fucking great song, strange and powerful as Radiohead knows how to make them.

GEEZER

Jimmy Eat World, Kill (2004)

Futures is such an underrated album, and Kill is a brilliant song. Most of my favorite Jimmy Eat World songs are very much like this, and there's still more to come. Slow, steady, beautiful. I adore this band, and was so happy to see them do a tour for this album's 10th anniversary. Such a wonderful, cohesive album I could just put on repeat and zone out. I can't believe that was almost 6 years ago now. Jesus.

JOHNERLE

The Avett Brothers, I And Love And You (2009)

I never cared much for The Band, but this sounds like what I imagine other people must be hearing when they watch The Last Waltz. If I was their A&R man I would have suggested changing the title which sounds too much like a Carly Ray Jespen single and doesn't really capture the tone of the song.

Also: Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise, The Perfect Space

LEESTU

The Wombats, Let’s Dance To Joy Division (2007)

I have danced to Joy Division many times in my younger days and am now fully aware of the irony.

NSPAN

Ween, Gabrielle (2005)

Gene and Dean doing their best Thin Lizzy impression. I love how this band walks the razor's edge between parody and genuine homage.

RON B

RUFUS, Innerbloom (2015)

Possibly the longest song on my list, it just sucks you in, a quality of the band

SCREEN203

Jem, 24 (2004)

As a portrayal of a prisoner facing execution, the lyrics could make a compelling read without background music. With debates on religion, guilt, and finding out what really matters in life, it sounds like something that could be written into a tragedy. However, the eerie orchestration with the violins and guitars lead this to another level, along with Jem's vocals, making the character's strife felt even more. The haunting medley helped the song stick around in my memory long after I first heard it.

SHRYKE

Gorillaz feat. Snoop Dogg and Jamie Principle, Hollywood (2018)

One of the few really new songs on my list, and the first of three to feature Gorillaz. I love the cool beat that this song beats down, with a synth riff that’s both breezy and gritty. Snoop’s appearance only adds to the flava. I think I’ve played this song a hundred times since I first heard it a few months ago, and I just couldn’t NOT include it.

SIX

Girl Band, Shoulderblades (2019)

Girl Band keep taking long breaks because of the mental health of singer Dara Kiely. But when he disappears he finds ways of articulating his issues so incredibly well (“Feel like a chicken, act like a cock” is one of the best lyrics I’ve heard in years), and with their latest album the band found a way to play with their sound, distorting it so much to recreate that experience aurally. This track is about pitching between states of joy and sadness, and always battling between being two different people. It’s a disturbing listen, but one that captures a psychological state so incredibly well.

SURFER

Ty Segall, Feel (2014)

Segall must be one of the most prolific song writers out there right now. So much so, it made it extremely difficult to narrow down my favourite song of his, but ultimately, from his best album, 'Manipulator', Feel is the one that made the cut. It sounds like everything Segall had been working on up until that point had been distilled into one record. From Bowie to The Kinks, Bolan to The Who, it features all his influences in one place, complete with the addition of the obligatory drum break and guitar psyche out. As the song reaches its crescendo, if you are not at air guitar mode, something is very, very wrong!

TRANSFORMERS

The Dillinger Escape Plan, One of Us is the Killer (2013)

After throwing the kitchen sink at you guys with my last Dillinger Escape Plan pick, here's a little taste of their smooth, lounge-inspired side.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Alright now I can drop that take I've been holding onto since yesterday :lol: I'm a huge Travis Scott fan and never in a million years did I expect to see any of his stuff-let alone a deep-ish cut like Nightcrawler- to be featured during this countdown. I legit got overcome with joy and excitement when I saw it on the mystery round docket. That song is a god damn immense psychedelic trap anthem and it warmed my heart to see that someone else loved it. If there was any doubt why Screen's picks have resonated with me more than just about anyone else's, this pick erased it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I win again! I spent too much time thinking about your tastes... again.

Chien: This was one I was pretty sure on. A Spanish singer, covering a song from a movie, and whose songs have featured in movies. I figured that's how he discovered this. It's certainly a different, original interpretation. A bit much for me at times!

Geez: An easy one (though I considered Shryke for this), because you've been raving about them for a while. They're fun and anthemic but not too bland either.

JohnE: A tough one - it sounds like something NSpan or Leetsu might post. But I was more sure of their picks, and this reminded me a little of the Dandy Warhols, so I took a punt. Decent song. I don't mind derivative if it rocks like this does.

Leetsu: At first I thought of Tranny, but I think you introduced me to them on this forum, so I went for you. I loved this song. It's scary and intense. In fact I saw these guys live at a festival once and the crowd were so fucking insane that I had to slowly back out in fear of my life!

Npan: An easy one. This just sounds like NSpan! I dug it.

Ron B: I initially thought of Leetsu as he's the only human on the planet that loves Arcade Fire's last album. Then I thought of Chien, and Surf, but after finding more suitable options for them it fell to Ron. I could think of maybe 20 Arcade Fire songs I prefer, but this is still good, and one of the few songs from the last album I relisten to.

Screen: Gah, missed this one. Thought it was Tranny because he posted something by Scott earlier. This wasn't bad for a poppy hip-hop song. Like you say, the production is impressive.

Shryke: This was another shot in the dark, but you do like your anthemic guitar pop. I also considered My Chemical Romance for your pick. Either way, not for me! I also do feel a nostalgic for wilder and freer days of youth, and have one coming up in my Top 25 that evokes that feeling so well.

Surf: Probably the easiest one. I know you're a fan, and while I thought John may also like this, I thought you're the safe bet. Superb song. Love the vocals, love the production. Anyone who didn't put me down for Angel Olsen or this song just doesn't get me (sniff).

Tranny: The other one I missed. For some reason I figured they would be too soft for you. I didn't factor in high-school nostalgia!!!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 1:29 pm
Here are the results. Did not hear from Screen, NSpan, or Chien.

Freaking Six wins again... I mean, congrats, dude! :lol:

Six - 8/10
Surfer - 6/10
Tranny - 6/10
Leestu - 4/10
Geezer - 2/10
JohnErle - 1/10
Shryke, i sent you my guesses this morning, hours ago, on Messenger ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well then I did my count myself (check your Messenger box Shryke !!!) and got 7 out of 10 !! Nice.

The ones I got wrong were John (I thought it was Arcade Fire), Surfer (I thought it was Black Rebel Motorcycle Club) and Ron (I thought it was Grizzly Bear).
I'm improving, but Six is still the king indeed !

My favorite of this bunch is hands down Everything Now by Arcade Fire, followed by Grizzly Bear.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry, Chien. Didn't check FB this morning. Congrats on second place!

I have a bunch of songs in the next thread after this one that might just feel a few of you, so I'll leave it open. But it will be in the first half, somewhere between 46 and 50.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Innerbloom - Wow, this was nine minutes? For once, I didn't mind the length. Really enjoyed this. The strange horns that kicked in at the six-minute mark reminded me of some of Thomas Dolby's best stuff (PM me if you want examples), and I love that. 7.5/10

Leestu - Let's Dance to Joy Division - Who are Joy Division again? (JK, don't kill me. ) This was fun. Really liked it. 7/10

Tranny - One of Us is the Killer - This is lounge-inspired? OK, whatev. I liked it... heard a fair amount of The Ozz in the lead singer's voice. 6.5/10

Geezer - Kill - I've not listened to this album but, having liked most of Bleed American, perhaps I should. Good song. 6.5/10

Surfer - Feel - I liked how this started, but by the end I was just bored. 5.5/10

Screen - 24 - This was just okay for me. 5.5/10

JohnErle - I And Love And You - I listened to a fair amount of Avett Brothers during my music blitz, including this song. Sorry to say, nothing really stuck. I think it's just a little to folksy for me. 5/10

NSpan - Gabrielle - I loathe most of Ween's stuff, and while this was better than most, it didn't move the needle above the midpoint. 5/10

Chien - 2 + 2 = 5 - I love a select few Radiohead songs. This one just grated on me. Badly. 3/10

Six - Shoulderblades - Aaaaaand this one grated on me even more than Radiohead. Ugh. 2/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And back to the normal

Chien: A very good song to a decent album. Not my favourite album, and not my favourite song from the album (There There or Sit Down Stand Up probably are), but good pick nevertheless. Love how it (sorta) rocks by the end.
Geezer: Not for me.
John: I'm pretty picky about my country music. Can't put my finger on it, but this isn't my kinda country.
Leetsu: Feels like a novelty song. Not something I'd listen to often.
NSpan: It's a bit TOO Thin Lizzy, you know? I'd rather just listen to the boys.
Ron B: Don't think I'd ever listen to this consciously, but it was pretty pleasant and listenable.
Screen: Would have been better without the strings, I felt.
Shryke: The synths are very 80s, so I can see why you like it. This was decent to listen to.
Surf: I like all of Ty Segall's stuff. Good live too. I don't know this song, but it's as good as most of his stuff. Good choice!
Tranny: Didn't grab my attention.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#57 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... I581OBZ5Fw

Missing: Ween, Gabrielle (add it if it's available in your country)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Great

Matt and Kim, Daylight - another artist I discovered thanks to Geezer through previous incarnations of these music projects...listened to them a little bit since then, mostly this album...great fun energy and catchy hooks

Silvia Perez Cruz, The Sound of Silence - first listen...I wasn't sure at first, but it grew on me, and by the end really liked this and wanted to hear it again...great voice...fascinating interpretation...atmospheric and emotional

The Arcade Fire, Everything Now - so catchy and sing alongable...just gives me a good mood vibe...I even like the disco influence...not my favourite from the album though, that would be Creature Comfort, & Signs Of Life

The Very Good

Keziah Jones, Afrosurrealismfortheladies - first listen...at first I had this as an Nspan song but on further research discovered he was huge in France but unknown in USA, so I outsmarted myself...cool, funky song

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Berlin - first listen...good retro sound

Grizzly Bear, Two Weeks - first listen...I liked it

The Okay

Royal Teeth, Wild - first listen...nothing special

Angel Olsen, Dance Slow Decades - I have tried a few albums of hers because of the critical acclaim she receives but I just feel nothing listening to this

The Meh

My Chemical Romance, Helena - I like some MCR but not this one

Travis Scott feat. Swae Lee and Cheif Keef, Nightcrawler - first listen...not my style

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

#60 & #59

slowly catching up...

CHIEN
Julien Doré, Paris-Seychelles (2013)
FL. Pretty good, not something i would seek out though. 5/10
The Postal Service, Such Great Heights (2003)
Hmm, always thought this was someone else. But that said, i really like it! 7/10

GEEZER
The Menzingers, I Was Born (2010)
FL. Didn't mind this at all. 5/10
Dropkick Murphys, Sunshine Highway (2005)
FL. Sorry man, just don't like it. 3.5/10

JOHNERLE
XTC, I'm The Man Who Murdered Love (2001)
FL. Transported me back to 2001, it was nice and radio friendly. 5/10
Kings Of Leon, Dusty (2003)
I almost had these guys in my top, also early stuff before they went worldwide. This is a good one. 6/10

LEESTU
Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days (2012)
FL. Very catchy, great guitar, had me tapping my feet. Nice pick man. 7/10
Something For Kate, Déjà Vu (2003)
I used to dislike Something for Kate, then i grew up and realized they have some real good songs. 6.5/10

NSPAN
Handsome Boy Modeling School, A Day in the Life (2004)
FL. Pretty good, funny bit at the end lol! 6/10
Black Mountain, Old Fangs (2010)
FL. This was pretty cool, the grungy guitar melding with some synths. 6/10

SCREEN203
Sia, Breathe Me (2005)
Didn't know this was Sia, until today. Its a nice song for sure. 6/10
Alanis Morissette, 21 Things I Want In A Lover (2002)
Its not bad. 4.5/10

SHRYKE
Better Than Ezra, Briefly (2001)
FL. Sounds like the copied some of Radioheads stuff and made a radio friendly song. 5/10
311, Sunset in July (2011)
FL. It was ok. 5/10

SIX
LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends (2007)
For the most part i don't hear much punk coming out of LCD, indie electro yes. This is a great song though. 8/10
Major Lazer, Get Free (2013)
I did not expect to see this here but i do not disapprove. Sounds great with headphones. 6.5/10

SURFER
Ex Hex, Beast (2014)
I got into this, not bad. 6/10
The Coathangers, Make It Right (2016)
FL. It was pretty fun, i wouldnt turn it off. 5.5/10

TRANSFORMERS

Deftones, You've Seen the Butcher (2010)
I never delved too deep into Deftones or actually metal as a genre. This is surprisingly decent. 5.5/10
Gojira, Backbone (2005)
FL. Heard the band name before but not the music. Its half decent. 5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Nothing really appealed to me the first time through apart from Ty Segall. That's worth revisiting. Tranny's pick was more palatable than usual, but still not for me.

As I've said before, I don't get too hung up on genres or labels, but I'm consistently surprised by what you guys across the pond consider to be country. I would call The Avett Brothers Americana or Folk Rock, but no country song would ever rely so heavily on piano or an Asian man with a cello. And no country song would ever be about a guy looking forward to moving to Brooklyn. If this was a modern country song it would be about a guy going to the big city, finding out it's full of crime, traffic, snooty intellectuals and Democrats, then moving back home to the farm, falling in love with his high school sweetheart, and living happily ever after, drinking beer in the fresh air in the cab of his pickup truck with his faithful dog at his side. Modern country is all about pandering to people who live in rural areas, while Americana is usually written by people who grew up in that environment but got the fuck out as soon as they could and now embrace a wider world view while still acknowledging their roots, which is why I can relate to so much Americana while loathing most country music. And that should be your other clue. If I post it, it probably ain't country.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Hichkas, Ekhetaf (2006)

I have two words for you. Iranian rap.

I discovered this song in an Iranian film (duh) about the Iranian music scene, which mixed fiction and documentary. The musicality of the words doesn’t need any knowledge of the language, and it flows just perfectly with that rhythm. This video clip you’ll watch here is an actual sequence of the film.

GEEZER

Spraynard, Applebees Bar (2015)

It was even hard for me to pick out a singular track from this band to represent them on this countdown, as I'll admit a lot of my favorites from them are pretty similar. Big, hooky, anthemic punk songs that are extremely fun to sing along to in a great high energy show. I was blown away the first time I saw them, as a complete unknown opening for the Menzingers. Like 5 songs in of the crowd going ape shit for them I turned to my brother and said "How the hell have we never heard of these guys before?" They immediately became one of my favorite bands. This is my favorite song they've released.

JOHNERLE

The Airborne Toxic Event, Sometime Around Midnight (2008)

I remember reading how the main guy in this band was working on a novel when he decided to start making music instead. It probably would have been a shitty novel, but the album turned out pretty great. (Insert standard rant about the loudness wars here.)

Also: Innocence, Gasoline

LEESTU

Powderfinger, My Happiness (2000)

I am not a romantic person at all…just ask my wife. I have never celebrated Valentine’s day, and I usually don’t like love songs (unless there is something twisted about them), but for some reason I love this one. I think it’s the honest simplicity of the lyrics of a touring musician (or anybody that regularly works away) in a relationship.

NSPAN

Deltron 3030, Madness (2000)

Del the Funkee Homosapien + Dan the Automator + Kid Koala

RON B

Animal Collective, My Girls (2009)

A mesmerizing bunch of synths and poppy sounds make this one great.

SCREEN203

Lady Gaga, Paparazzi (2008)

While this is a great song by itself (with every snap of the snare and synth note adding to the futuristic feel), it was pretty much an obligation for me to include this somewhere because of the music video (slightly NSFW), great in itself, as a prequel to another video to be featured much later in my list.

SHRYKE

fun. feat. Janelle Monae, We Are Young (2011)

Another song about being young and reckless, the second one this week. This one, however, is universally known. It’s one of those songs you’ll find yourself humming for no reason at all, and that’s a testament to it’s hook, Nate Reuss’s voice, and its tremendous lyrics. Screen said at #66 that Nate might just be this generation’s Freddie Mercury…and you know, he’s not entirely wrong.

SIX

Spiritualized, I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You (2001)

Being a fan of cinema, I do love a song that evokes the big screen (though you’ll not see any soundtrack cuts in my list, as they’re too wedded to the films). And in the follow up to the 90-defining Ladies and Gentlemen... this track is intimate in lyrics but big and bold in sound. Starting quiet utilising just a piano and a heartbeat drum rhythm it turns into a beautiful, sweeping, epic song that’s perfectly cinematic, tailor-made for a film that has not been made. Not yet at least. There’s an added bonus of a guest vocal appearance by Low’s Mimi Parker. I may have mentioned before, but a friend of mine has opened a record store with the guitarist of Spiritualized, and I’ve yet to confess that this song, which he plays guitar on, is one of my all-time favourites. One day.

SURFER

British Sea Power, Remember Me (2003)

When BSP emerged onto the UK music scene with their notoriously weird live sets, stages littered with stuffed birds and sporting WW1 military uniforms, you could be forgiven for thinking it all to be a gimmick to mask any real creativity. Yet, despite the foliage and rock songs peppered with obtuse allusions and highbrow polemics, British Sea Power were (are?, though they are a much changed band in the ensuing 17 years) a band that had the chops to match the showmanship. Their debut record, The Decline of British Sea Power is a stunning listen, weaving their post-punk, Bowie, Pixies and Bunnymen influences into an epic of sheer grandeur and beauty. And the biggest release from this album, Remember Me, is a fascinating listen. It's a song that builds and builds while ironically the lyrics deal with mental decay during old age. What results is a cathartic and at times sobering song which continues to pack a punch on each listen.

TRANSFORMERS

Between the Buried and Me, White Walls (2007)

14 minutes of mayhem that features Between the Buried and Me at their heaviest and most technically astounding.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:45 am

Nothing really appealed to me the first time through apart from Ty Segall. That's worth revisiting. Tranny's pick was more palatable than usual, but still not for me.

As I've said before, I don't get too hung up on genres or labels, but I'm consistently surprised by what you guys across the pond consider to be country. I would call The Avett Brothers Americana or Folk Rock, but no country song would ever rely so heavily on piano or an Asian man with a cello. And no country song would ever be about a guy looking forward to moving to Brooklyn. If this was a modern country song it would be about a guy going to the big city, finding out it's full of crime, traffic, snooty intellectuals and Democrats, then moving back home to the farm, falling in love with his high school sweetheart, and living happily ever after, drinking beer in the fresh air in the cab of his pickup truck with his faithful dog at his side. Modern country is all about pandering to people who live in rural areas, while Americana is usually written by people who grew up in that environment but got the fuck out as soon as they could and now embrace a wider world view while still acknowledging their roots, which is why I can relate to so much Americana while loathing most country music. And that should be your other clue. If I post it, it probably ain't country.
That kind of country I tend to term Country & Western, with its whooping and its wife-hating lyrics.

But I'd say from a music perspective The Avett Bros fit somewhere on the country scale. That said my understanding of what's country, what's folk, what's Americana is all pretty hazy for me. Just checked on Wikipedia and it says of The Avett Bors: "the Avett Brothers combine bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, indie rock, honky tonk, and ragtime to produce a novel sound". 1 our of 9 ain't bad.