Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Powderfinger, My Happiness (2000) (very nice, I actually liked the flow of this one)
fun. feat. Janelle Monae, We Are Young (2011)
British Sea Power, Remember Me (2003) (really good stuff, I'd like to check out more)

Love It
The Airborne Toxic Event, Sometime Around Midnight (2008) (He's just as great as a political commentator as he is a songwriter, and that is high praise!)

Meh
Deltron 3030, Madness (2000)
Animal Collective, My Girls (2009) (nonestly I liked parts of this, I just thought it got repetitive and went on too long. I wish it had a more traditional structure, because I could have loved it. It makes me wonder if they have other songs I might like more)
Lady Gaga, Paparazzi (2008)
Spiritualized, I Didn’t Mean to Hurt You (2001)

Loathe It
Hichkas, Ekhetaf (2006)
Between the Buried and Me, White Walls (2007)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Violent Soho, Covered in Chrome (2013) (There was a lot of punk to this, honestly surprised you like it, ron. But I sure did)
M83, Midnight City (2011) (Not usually my thing but I can not deny the catchyness of this tune)
Manic Street Preachers, Jackie Collins Existential Question Time (2009) (not bad, but I doubt I'll be looking deeper)
letlive, Renegade '86 (2010) (I doubt I'll go run to listen to an album of it, but this was a very decent change of pace from you. I liked it)

Love It
Camp Cope, Done (2016) (Did you not think this would absolutely be my thing? Because it totally is. I loved it thoroughly and I'm adding those two albums to my must listen list. Easily one of the best things I've heard on this countdown)

Meh
Tony Leung / Andy Lau, Moo Gaan Dou (2002)
The Raphaels, Shattered Cross (2001)
Pillow Fight, Sleeping Dogs (2012) (I mean, I'll keep trying, but I doubt I'm going to change my mind...)

Loathe It
Imagine Dragons, On Top of the World (2012) (I may hate Imagine Dragons more than any other band on earth)
Mogwai, Friend of the Night (2006) (This is literally the opposite of everything I like)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 52 thoughts

Chien, Tom Rosenthal - Very lovely little piano line. Indeed sometimes just something simple is quite effective.

Geezer, The Menzingers - Yeah, this was a great song to a rather average album for The Menzingers. Propulsive guitars, drum rolls, good chorus. Shame the rest of the record didn't live up to its first impressions. I assume all the rest of your songs from these are from On The Impossible Past?

JohnErle, Yo La Tengo - Lovely, delicate guitar work matched only by the hushed vocals. I really should spend a little more time listening to Yo La Tengo, as what I have heard is great. Is there a go to album to get me started?

Leestu, Rat!Hammock - I think we all suffer a little from recency bias (is that a term?), when I ever create a countdown it is usually how I feel at that exact moment in time. In a year some of these songs may lessen in appeal to me while suddenly a song I had dismissed a little suddenly becomes something quite special. It happened with my all time countdown, there are a couple of songs from there that have not stood the test of time and dropped from this list entirely. Anyway, this song sounds right up your alley from what I think you like. It was OK, though I suspect I will have forgotten it by the end of this playlist.

Nspan, Dan The Automator - And to think we were giving Geezer a slightly hard time over using too many songs from the same artist! Anyway, I actually know this song, it's good.

Ron, Daft Punk - Familiar song, not up there with the group's best, but decent enough, and adding Julian Casablanca's vocals to anything usually improves songs ten fold.

Screen, A Perfect Circle - Now here is a supergroup who do know how to rock. I remember picking this record up on its release as it was James Iha's new band. Is it as good as the best of Tool or Smashing Pumpkins? No, it's not. But it's not as far off as I had perhaps expected. And this is a great example of it.

Shryke, Tori Amos - Pleasant enough, but lacking the bite of her earlier work.

Six, Fuck Buttons - Wow, not what I was expecting, I think I must only be familiar with their earlier works which largely put me off due to its abrasive noise as you put it. Love how the song just built layer upon layer of sound until it hits the 6 minute mark before slowing it all down again by its end.

Tranny, Unearth - That was exhausting, I feel tired for them just listening to it!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

4 out of the 5 are, Surfer. One is an old one off their Hold On, Dodge EP that is the most personal song to me on my entire list.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
The Wombats, Tokyo (2010) (I preferred the other recent Wombats posting, but this was good too)
Bruno Mars, Locked Out Of Heaven (2012) (Not gonna lie, I dig Bruno. I think he's one of the best pop artists working today. Good stuff)
Bright Eyes, The First Day Of My Life (2005) (sweet, not bad)
Run the Jewels, Sea Legs (2013) (I enjoyed this, more rap that I actually liked. Great beat though your description leads me to believe this would be a one-off for me)

Love It

Meh
Laurent Voulzy, Amélie Colbert (2001)
Calexico, Two Silver Trees (2008)
You Am I, Damage (2000)
The Raveonettes, Ode to LA (2005)

Loathe It
Gotye, Thanks For Your Time (2007) (extremely not my thing)
Swans, Oxygen (2014)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

53 Very meh round

Like It
Taproot, Poem (2002) (I remember this one, thought it was alright then and it still is)

Love It

Meh
Dead Man’s Bones, Lose Your Soul (2009)
Ron Sexsmith - Gold In Them Hills
Modest Mouse, 3rd Planet (2000) (Just not really my thing, Float On remains the only thing I've liked that I've heard from them)
Redwalls, Summer Romance (2007)
Keane, Nothing in My Way (2006)
Marian Hill, Sad Song (2016)
Protomartyr, Pontiac 87 (2015)
SZA, Prom (2017)

Loathe It
Grimes, Oblivion (2012)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Idles, Mother (2017) (like with the other posted song from Idles, musically I like it, but vocally its a bit out there for me)

Love It

Meh
Tom Rosenthal, It’s OK (2013)
I'll Be Around - Yo La Tengo (2013)
RAT!hammock, Ghost (2019)
Daft Punk feat. Julian Casablancas, Instant Crush (2013) (I like Daft Punk when they are upbeat, this didn't do it for me)
A Perfect Circle, The Outsider (recognizable for me, but I never liked these guys)
Tori Amos, A Sorta Fairytale (2002)
Unearth, Crow Killer (2008)

Loathe It
Dan the Automator, King of New York (2000) (At least I'm not the only one who felt it wasn't fair to our favorite artists to just a handful of tracks if we truly love them more than the rest!)
Fuck Buttons, The Red Wing (2013) (still sounds like abrasive noise to me)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six - The Red Wing - I'm sure Geezer hated this because he's not a Detroit hockey fan. :) I liked it, though. 7.5/10

Screen203 - The Outsider - Really liked this. But then, I like a lot of APC's stuff. 7.5/10

Geezer - I Don't Wanna Be an Asshole Anymore - Cool song, great video, and a worthy goal. 7/10

Ron B - Instant Crush - I'm a fan of Daft Punk, but this... not sure. I think it'll grow on me over time. 6.5/10

Transformers - Crow KIller - (I guess Crow Murderer was too obvious a title?) This was better than most of your metalcore picks so far. Maybe you're converting me... 6.5/10

Leestu - Ghost - I like. Kind of reminds me of early Weezer. 6.5/10

JohnErle - I'll Be Around - Wow. This was even more just ok than Chien's pick! 6.5/10

NSpan - King of New York - This had some good moments. Wish it had more. 6/10

Chien - It's OK - Not a bad song. One (Six, for example) might even say... it's ok. 6/10

Surfer - Mother - Yeah, it's abrasive. And not in the kind that I like. 4.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Holy SHIT.... can you believe we are already HALF DONE???

Yeah, me neither.

CHIEN

Benjamin Biolay, Volver (2017)

Benjamin Biolay is the greatest French singer, composer, musician, and above all, lyricist of the 21st century. Ok that had to be said. I know most of you won’t find him that good, that’s highly probable, that’s the game. He is the artist most present in my list, and that’s only the first of his appearances, so get ready to hear from him a few other times (I limited myself, rest assured).

Here are a few lyrics from this song, my translation is poor because you lose all the richness of the words and the rhymes that flow all along :

“I remember the taste, the people, the numbness and the agony, it wasn’t even 5 hours ago I was 15, but already not a kid anymore. I remember a torrent, an ape man and a dial, the pain between my teeth, the sweetness of no spring, before… Less than 4 hours ago I was 20, already the worries of an old fart, today I still get infatuated with some trees, just for the trunk. I remember their lovers, stupid faces, dick heads, 45 minutes ago I was 30 and the ass of an orang-outan. I don’t remember much, a corner of the sky turning purple, I wasn’t much already, like many rebels without causes. Not seconds ago I was 40, life wasn’t as fun, each summer going down… Long sigh, mix-ups and fog, small tricks, fakely clever, I see my future as an old man like a train always late. Less than 5 hours ago, I was 15, already enraged with people, already the eyes red with blood, already the nose up to the stars”

GEEZER

Direct Hit!, Hospital for Heroes (2016)

No song probably shot up my list further than this one in the process of making the list. Every time I've put it on to assess its placement, I have liked it more, and it has me listening to this album more and more than I ever did in 2016. Its really great, and I just think this band is so underrated in the punk scene. So while they fall just short of making my personal top 50, they should be proud. This song is very me, so take that for what it's worth. The bandcamp description of the album "Wasted Mind" is pretty accurate: "a 12-track concept album inspired by the warped sensibilities of such savage works as Burroughs’ Naked Lunch and Thompson’s Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Musically it delivers on everything Direct Hit! fans have come to expect: clever lyrical content, catchy hook-laden riffs, and driving pop-punk anthems."

JOHNERLE

Oh No! Oh My! - Skip The Foreplay (2006)

Probably the most obscure pick in my top 100, this is from a self-released album I must have discovered from the Indie Rock playlists I used to download from torrent sites. I'm pretty sure it was all stuff that was featured downloads on various music blogs, conveniently assembled in one place, so I wasn't really being naughty until I downloaded the entire album and played it for years. At least now my Spotify plays are sending them tiny amounts of compensation.

Also: Lisa, Make Love! (It's Okay!), Farewell To All My Friends

LEESTU

Grinderman, No Pussy Blues (2007)

The title sums up the song…Nick Cave expresses the frustration eloquently, and Warren Ellis expresses the frustration musically.

NSPAN

Warlocks, Hurricane Heart Attack (2002)

The song that introduced me to The Warlocks and cemented my love-affair with neo-psychedelia.

RON B

Gorillaz, Stylo (2010)

Seriously good album Plastic Beaches had bright spots all over, this is probably my favourite from it.

SCREEN203

SHRYKE

Nickelback, Figured You Out (2003)

I started this countdown with a Smash Mouth song, for which I caught a ton of shit. It seems only fitting that I end the first half of the Top 100 by posting a song that will earn me an equal amount of shit (if not more)… after all, this song was once ranked #1 on Huffington Post Canada’s list of the “50 Worst Canadian Songs Ever.” For me? I love the scathing lyrics and the pounding guitar riffs that match Chad Kroeger’s growly baritone. It’s probably the most misogynistic song I like, even more than In Da Club. So… bring on the hate, b****es!

SIX

Parquet Courts, Human Performance (2016)

Earlier I posted a track by these boys that reflected their more up-tempo style. But when it came to their fifth (!) album of the 2010s, they demonstrated a more sombre side to their sound. This is captured perfectly in the title track, a breakup song full of longing and regret and a dash of sonic rage directed in on oneself.

SURFER

St. Vincent, Cruel (2011)

Annie Clark, Aka St. Vincent, is an enigma. Having began her career in The Polyphonic Spree and then working with Sufjan Stevens, she eventually stepped out on her own and began to explore her own art. What has resulted has been a stunning rise with record after record that has seen her mature as both a person as an artist. With Strange Mercy, her third record, I felt she really stepped up and started down a path of progression musically, as she abandoned the naivety of her early records and embraced her guitar a little more as a means to express her vitriol. The lead single to the record was Cruel, and it was Clark's most pure pop moment to date, as she tackles the subtle cruelties society places upon women and the decisions women sometimes feel they have to make to be accepted in said society. What results is a cathartic listen as well as a wonderful singalong chorus. For someone who had struggled for so long to create her own spotlight, it was an astonishing single and a platform for indie rock domination.

TRANSFORMERS

Fallujah, Starlit Path (2014)

Bay Area outfit Fallujah has carved out their own lane in the world of extreme metal. While they utilize a liberal amount of chugging riffs, guttural vocals, flashy guitarwork and manic drumming, Fallujah is every bit as focused on crafting melodies and establishing an intoxicating atmosphere as they are diving through the established technical death metal playbook. The execution of that unique juxtaposition have earned them a special place in my heart since they broke out on the scene in 2011 and this track from their sophomore full-length "The Flesh Prevails" will be not be the last time they appear on my list.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Stylo - Holy SHIT, Ron. This our THIRD crossover, and I know the Gotye song will be coming up on your list. Unbelievable. And BTW, great fucking song. This will be coming up on my list, but not for a long time... 10/10

Geezer - Hospital for Heroes - I've come to realize that, apart from Ron B, I tend to like your selections more than anyone else's, Geez (which is ironic, as my picks seems to fall into either your Love or Loathe pile). Your music tastes seem to be a blend of rock, alternative, and punk, and I'm quite comfortable listening to that. It never feels too hard (Tranny), too soft (Screen), too retro (NSpan), too French (ahem), or too obscurely indie (everyone else). Keep it up. 7/10

JohnErle - Skip the Foreplay - This was weirdly good. (Goodly weird?) Not sure why I liked this so much... quit infecting me with your indie pop shenanigans! 6.5/10

Six - Human Performance - Somehow this sounded to me like a modern-day Talking Heads (albeit with more aggressive guitars). I liked it. 6/10

Surfer - Cruel - Sorry, this didn't move the dial for me. 5.5/10

NSpan - Hurricane Heart Attack - Didn't care for it. 5/10

Leestu - No Pussy Blues - See above. 5/10

Chien - Volver - See above, above. 5/10

Tranny - Starlit Path - Great guitars, hated the vocals. (Feel like I've written that sentence 30 or so times...) 4.5/10

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 51 thoughts

Chien, Benjamin Biolay - Once again, very French, but unfortunately the music didn't really add to anything to really keep me interested.

Geezer, Direct Hit! - Surprisingly I quite enjoyed this, the guitars were great, and nice blast of punk rock to wake me up in the morning!

JohnErle, OH NO OH MY - This was a change of pace, quite nice indie rock in the vein of The Shins, not sure they are worth exploring further, but it was very pleasant.

Leestu, Grinder an - Definitely my favourite track from their debut record, I love the riff throughout the song as Cave chants over it, and then that explosion of guitars as the band freak out is just awesome.

Nspan, The Warlocks - I remember buying this record on the back of you listing this song in your all time list. Listened to it a lot over the years as well so thanks for the introduction. Lots of The Stones in this song, but not just an imitation, so it's very nice to hear.

Ron, Gorillaz - I thought I had heard this before but apparently not. I enjoyed the retro vibe to it, and the bassline added almost sinister texture to it all (to which my daughter was humming along within seconds - so bonus points there) And then there is those Bobby Womack vocals, that was good stuff.

Screen, TBC

Shryke, Nickelback - Oh Shryke. Oh Shryke.

Six, Parquet Courts - I remember when Human Performance was released and was slightly surprised by the change of pace from the band, but it was very, very welcome. This is possibly now my favourite album of theirs, as while other records have higher highs, the consistency of the album is so high. This is a great example too, lots of Velvet Underground vibes and the lyrics are so beautiful. While I probably prefer Berlin Got Blurry with its spaghetti western guitar lines on it, this is a great pick.

Tranny, Fallujah - A shame as for the first minute and a half it was all going so well. And then in came the growls. Deary me! I need a lie down after that!!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: The lyrics definitely helped, but the music is just so corny! I guess when your wine and art and film is that good, you've got to struggle at something!
Geezer: Kinda okay. Were there synths in there? Can't remember!
JohnE: As obscure indie pop/rock goes, this wasn't bad.
Leetsu: My favourite Grinderman song. Witty lyrics and great retro rock. Great pick!
NSpan: About time these guys appeared. I vaguely remember them featuring in your top albums of all time. This is good stuff. Since that album countdown I have got into garage rock a bit more, like The Monks and The Sonics, so this doesn't wow me as much, but I still enjoy it.
Ron B: Not bad, although sometimes with Gorillaz they just throw EVERYTHING at a song and it sounds like a mess. This kinda does that - the 80s music, the rapping from Mos Def, then Albarn's crooning, and Bobby Womack roaring into the mic.
Shryke: Oh dear. Where to begin. Nikleback is one of those bands that's cool to hate on if you're an indie kid. As much as I tried to give this song a chance once that first line comes in, then I'm out. The music and vocals are pretty dull, but those lyrics are shameful. In fact they're shaming as the singer seems to leer over the woman in question and then slut-shame her. At least you recognise it's pretty nasty. Bring back Smash Mouth!
Surf: St. Vincent is someone I should like. She's creative, imaginative, refuses to conform. But I just can't. Maybe her music feels too cerebral at times? I've got Strange Mercy and Masseduction and I just cna't get into them. Guess it's one of those things. I did catch her live a few years back and was more impressed.
Tranny: Man, I was loving that intro, and then the usual 5000bpm drumming-style and growling came in and I drifted off. Someone should make a compilation of just the intros to metal songs and I bet I'd adore it.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 4:11 am
the music is just so corny!
We clearly don't have the same definition of corny :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

The Warlocks, Hurricane Heart Attack - Thanks for The Warlocks rec Nspan, I picked up this album from your selection in a previous countdown here...I now own this CD (this was pre streaming days)...I love the slow pace, almost drone, of the psychedelia on this song, and it features some great guitar work, also slower than your normal guitar solo...my favourite song on the album

The Great

Parquet Courts, Human Performance - Berlin Got Blurry would be my pick from this album but this is a great song too

The Very Good

Oh No! Oh My! - Skip The Foreplay - first listen...this was cool, like Teenage Fanclub meet Pavement with a bit of twee seasoning

Nickelback, Figured You Out - I know it's cool to hate on Nickelback now, but at the time I couldn't help but get into the catchy, grunginess of the song, even if they were ten years too late

The Good

St. Vincent, Cruel - first listen...decent song, but like most of her songs that I've heard I don't quite get the high praise she receives...maybe a bit too arty for my tastes

Fallujah, Starlit Path - first listen...the vocals were probably a bit too much for me to love the song but the music rocked in a way I liked

The Okay

Direct Hit!, Hospital for Heroes - it's okay but the album sort of blurred together with songs that didn't differentiate from each other much by memory, and that's my problem with this track - it doesn't stand out in the pop punk genre to me...I preferred the previous Direct Hit! song from earlier

Benjamin Biolay, Volver - first listen...I liked his voice...the lyrics seem interesting even if a bit lost in translation...not very interesting musically though (apart from the finger clicking - you don't see much finger clicking around)

The Meh

Gorillaz, Stylo - this is the album where Gorillaz lost me...this song is too electropop repetitive for my taste, and adding Bobby Womack didn't help as I'm not big on soul at the best of times...having said that if anyone chooses On Melancholy Hill from this album I will lavish it with praise, it's clearly the standout song on this album