Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 8:42 am

Shryke, Royal Teeth - Very radio friendly pop music, it had my 7 year old humming along, but otherwise not really my thing.
Well, at least SOMEONE in your house has good taste... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:09 am
JohnErle, The Avett Brothers - I enjoy some country, as evident with my recent Waxahatchee and Bright Eyes songs...
ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! You guys are going to make me pull out what little hair I have left. And can we please stop referring to Jimmy Eat World by that acronym?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Dead Man’s Bones, Lose Your Soul (2009)

Kinda weirdly, I discovered that American song in an arthouse French film (“La Bataille de Solférino”, very good if you haven’t seen it). The main character drives through Paris on a motorcycle in the frenzy of the French capital a day of Presidential election results. It gave the scene a very strange and surreal feel that was perfect. And this feeling comes out of that song. Something dark, out of an old, dusty, nightly, frightening road, lurking somewhere.

GEEZER

Against Me!, We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules) (2002)

These last three cuts from my overall top 50 were absolutely painful. I am putting this here knowing that it could easily be inside the top 50, but I have a lot of AM! still to come, so I'm sparing you all and breaking them up a bit. They are also pretty coincidentally separated by album. Each of my top six Against Me! songs will be from a different album, which just shows the overall depth they have had in their catalog for me over their years. This is from their first album, but I'm going to share the version from their "Americans Abroad: Live in London" album, which is how I first heard most of their songs and how I fell in love with the band. They are always better live.

JOHNERLE

Ron Sexsmith - Gold In Them Hills

The saddest boy in Canada, Ron Sexsmith has been moping his way to acclaim from his peers since the 90s. Those were his peak years, but his songcraft is so strong his albums are never unpleasant to listen to. There's also an electronic remix of this song featuring Chris Martin, but no song has ever been improved by the presence of Chris Martin.

Also : Up The Road, Late Bloomer

LEESTU

Modest Mouse, 3rd Planet (2000)

I became obsessed with Modest Mouse and love everything they do. Here is the first appearance in my list, the opening track from The Moon And Antarctica. If I didn’t limit myself to three per artist, you would’ve been seeing a lot more of them.

NSPAN

Redwalls, Summer Romance (2007)

I'm trying to make a case for this Chicago band. They may not be true innovators, but they are--I'd argue--masters of a particular style. Not every song has to recreate the wheel. Sometimes a throwback can be just as good as something brand new.

RON B

Keane, Nothing in My Way (2006)

Found this one of a FIFA video game, it got stuck in my head. I love the distorted piano.

The above link didn't work for me, but this one did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l-GSDo72c

SCREEN203

Marian Hill, Sad Song (2016)

Probably one of the most confident acts on my list - a little bit sophomoric in terms of the petty theme of the song, but classy enough to balance it out. Marian Hill taunt a person judging them with such danceable fashion you wonder if their naysayers could even reply. All of this is set to a smooth groove, usual for Marian Hill.

SHRYKE

Taproot, Poem (2002)

I may not go in for the growly demons that Tranny does, but that doesn’t mean all my songs are happy, bubbly pop songs. This is one of those songs I probably shouldn’t like, but I do. In fact, I love it. Maybe it’s the guitars, maybe it’s Stephen Richards’ vocals, who knows. Props to System of a Down for getting these guys their first record deal (and, in the process, royally pissing off Fred Durst, which…snicker).

SIX

Grimes, Oblivion (2012)

You know, I spent the last 8 years enjoying this song as some sort of mysterious, pixie-ish electro-pop song, savouring Grimes’ odd vocals and the dream-like atmosphere. It’s only recently that I realised it’s a song about a sexual assault she suffered and the paranoia she endured long after. It gives it a heavier vibe, although I’ve now a new-found appreciation for a song that sounds in defiance of such a trauma.

SURFER

Protomartyr, Pontiac 87 (2015)

Following on from the brutal offering of Under The Colour Of Official Right, Protomartyr placed themselves at the top of the post-punk perch with The Agent Intellect, the most impressive release to date and their most popular. Marrying up Joe Casey's devastating lyrics with riffs like barbed wire, it was a consuming listen for its audience. The stand out track from that record changes quite often such is the quality of the record, but right now Pontiac 87 bears that honour. A song that takes its title from the Pope's visit to the Silverdome back in the 80s, it's a crippling tale of disappointment, marked especially so by its closing lyrics, 'There's no point being sad about it, what's the point in crying about it'. These guys know how to write a crushing song.

TRANSFORMERS

SZA, Prom (2017)

A criminally underrated track from R&B/soul artist SZA's terrific debut CTRL. Driven by production that becomes more layered as it goes along and plenty of vocal gusto, "Prom" is a beautiful song about not feeling mature enough to handle the weight of a relationship. Hopefully her string of recent collabs with the likes of Post Malone, Donald Glover and Justin Timberlake means that her sophomore LP will be on the way sooner than later.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 56 thoughts

Chien, Hitchkas - Not really for me.

Geezer, Spanyard - Again, not really for me. Pretty generic anthemic, angry punk rock without the real vitriol to support it.

JohnErle, The Airborne Toxic Event - I think I remember Geezer playing these in a previous countdown and I enjoyed their sound quite a bit and ended up buying the album. Haven't listened to it much since I think, but it was nice to hear some of their stuff again.

Leestu, Powderfinger - I remember these guys being pretty huge in the southern hemisphere when I was living in NZ, but could never really get the hype. Pretty standard alternative rock band.

Nspan, Deltron 3030 - You do like Dan The Automator quite a bit. Shame I don't really. There's been some decent stuff, others I haven't been that bothered by. This fell into the latter unfortunately.

Ron, Animal Collective - Great to see it pop up again, a really great pop song.

Screen, Lady Gaga - I'm just not sold on her at all, don't see the talent (and she isn't a great actress either going by her American Horror Story performances)

Shryke, Fun - Very radio friendly pop, for which this was OK. Can imagine quite the singalong at a festival.

Six, Spiritualized - I kind of only really listen to Spiritualized as a whole album so couldn't ever really assess just the one song, thus I completely omitted them from my own countdown. This is a good song, however, so nice to hear a little more from a great record even if it just feels like a snippet of something wonderful.

Tranny, Between The Buried And Me - My wife told me to turn this off. I do as I am told...

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 4:39 am
Tranny: I actually don't have RTJ1. Gotta change that. Did you hear their new track? It's pretty awesome.
Indeed. I've heard both of them. Yankee and the Brave is fantastic. Ooh La La is decent enough, but boy oh boy is the hook annoying.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm
silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 10:09 am
JohnErle, The Avett Brothers - I enjoy some country, as evident with my recent Waxahatchee and Bright Eyes songs...
ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! You guys are going to make me pull out what little hair I have left. And can we please stop referring to Jimmy Eat World by that acronym?
Ha! You are such a country traditionalist!! I would say Conor Oberst has always been classified in the alt country genre, while Waxahatchee has definitely been inspired by country, her latest record she says is massively influenced by Lucinda Williams. Is she country enough for you or is that a faux pas too?

And I suppose we can stop the Jimmy Eat World acronym if it is going to offend some. Not as much as some of the music they release nowadays, but still...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:05 pm
silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 8:42 am

Shryke, Royal Teeth - Very radio friendly pop music, it had my 7 year old humming along, but otherwise not really my thing.
Well, at least SOMEONE in your house has good taste... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Touché!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Leestu wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 6:52 am
Bright Eyes, The First Day Of My Life - easily my second favourite song from the album...such a sweet song...did you hear they jsut released their first new song in nine years (it's pretty good - but not up to this standard obviously)
You have time for new music as well as the countdown?! [wink]
Yeah, I've heard it, really nice stuff. I assume you heard his work with Phoebe Bridgers in Better Oblivion Community Center? That had some of his best stuff in years so really hoping this carries forth to a new record. Plus if the world doesn't end I get to see him live at the beginning of September, very excited about that possibility. And still being alive too, obviously.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Finally, a song I like. Or mostly like. Love the brooding, cinematic build. Not sure about the last bit, but overall a good song!
Geez: Good choice with a live cut. Definitely think these guys sound better on the stage.
John: Ah little Ron. Didn't know he was Canadian. He's good on guitar, but the song felt over before it started. I need a good 14-minute epic before I get into a song. Unless it's one of Tranny's metal songs.
Leetsu: A good song. As Surf says below about Spiritualized, I find it hard to extract a single song from this album, as the joy is in how they blend and clash (Tiny Cities would be my personal favourite for that groovy bassline).
NSpan: Most bands are derivative, I guess, it's just whether it's worth listening to them or the ones they derive from. sadly, this isn't the case with this song, which seems indebted to better bands from earlier in that decade.
Ron: They can throw a tune together, but they can't make me remember it.
Screen: I'm no expert on pop, but this sounded like a lot of other catcheir pop songs - there's a bit of Brittany, a bit of Christine, those bells (triangle) of Kelis, etc. So this felt like like a carbon copy.
Shryke: If nu-metal is your go-to genre for your darker songs, bring back the pop ;)
Surf: An incredible song. In the end I don't have anything from The Agent Intellect yet I now think it's their best album, and thus one of my favourites of all time. Why Does it Shake and this would be my favourites. I love the mellow vibes that hide a sort of weird sense of nostalgia but also deflation, as you rightly say. Have you heard their new song, Processed by the Boys? It's excellent. I was hoping to see them for the 5th time next month, but that's not happening.
Tranny: I like SZA and CTRL. It's a good, low-key record. This isn't one of my favourites from it (Doves in the Wind maybe?), but it's good.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Ha! You are such a country traditionalist!! I would say Conor Oberst has always been classified in the alt country genre, while Waxahatchee has definitely been inspired by country, her latest record she says is massively influenced by Lucinda Williams. Is she country enough for you or is that a faux pas too?
I just know that if you guys walked into a country bar anywhere in North America and asked the bartender why there wasn't any Bright Eyes on the jukebox, you'd have to fight your way out.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Nothing In My Way - Great to see another Keane song! Don't like this as much as Somewhere Only We Know, but still a great tune! 8/10

Six - Oblivion - This is about sexual assault? Wow. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't looked up the lyrics, which were hard for me to discern. I like the light, airy pop vibe covering such dark subject matter. 7/10

Surfer - Pontiac 87 - For something so post punk, it felt very retro-alt (that's a word, right?). Loved the jangly guitars. I was less a fan of the vocals. 6.5/10

Geezer - We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules) - What a fun song, and a great singalong. I imagine this is a great show-closer. Good stuff! 6.5/10

NSpan - Summer Romance - Man, you love songs that sound like they came from the 60's, don't you? I can totally picture the Beatles singing this in their glory days. Nice tune. 6.5/10

Chien - Dead Man's Bones - I liked this. It got me from the opening riff, then took off. It got a bit weird when the tempo changed and then the kids' voices joined in, but overall a good audio experience. 6/10

SZA - Prom - Never heard of SZA. (I wonder if she knows RZA?) The song was okay. 5.5/10

Leestu - 3rd Planet - Just okay for me. 5.5/10

JohnErle - Gold In Them Hills - Hey, lay off Chris Martin. Liked the piano, but then Ron opens his miserable mouth and... well, it's just okay for me. 5/10

Screen - Sad Song - Not for me. 5/10

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Really trying to make the most of being at home and catching up with the countdown a little!

Round 55 thoughts

Chien, Tony Leung etc - I don't even think I can give this song any value, such a strange song that I can't imagine any reason why it would make anyone's top 100 other than for the reason you love the film.

Geezer, Lucero - probably the best I have heard from this band so far. I liked the slower tempo to it all, and while I was not really a big fan of the vocals, they do kind of work as a whole with the song.

JohnErle, The Raphael - Not sure about the woodwind, but the guitar lines were lovely and the vocals from Adamson as you would expect are really nice too.

Leestu, Camp Cope - I am actually a big fan of this band and was sad I couldn't include anything from their records in my own list. It would quite possibly have been this song, even. I missed them playing the UK last autumn so was hoping to see them live this year too but obviously things haven't quite planned out as we would have planned!

Nspan, Pillow Fight - Some of this stuff has been OK, this not so much.

Ron, Violent Soho - Wow, this was really good, never heard of these guys before so thanks for the introduction. Even if this is possibly their only good song!

Screen, M83 - Ah I think I know this, had seen the band name on many a festival list but wasn't sure I knew anything from them. This is decent, nice neat

Shryke, Imagine Dragons - One of the girls in my work loves this band and plays it religiously, so I am pretty familiar with it. Don't like it at all, however.

Six, Mogwai - Much like the last round, I tried to see if there was a singular song from Mogwai that I loved to include in my own top 100. Unfortunately they are just such an album band, so there's not a chance I could pick just one song from it them. The Hawk Is Howling and Mr Beast are fantastic records though, so would probably be something from those records if I was capable of picking something.

Tranny, let live - Not really a fan of the vocals too much, far too much of that whiney shouting that seemed to perpetuate so many bands of this era. The music was great though. And definitely reminded me of RATM at certain points in the song.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote:

I just know that if you guys walked into a country bar anywhere in North America and asked the bartender why there wasn't any Bright Eyes on the jukebox, you'd have to fight your way out.
Now that just sounds like a challenge!

I have never been in a fight in my entire life...

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 54 thoughts

Chien, Laurent Voluzy - Despite the lyrical content this was a lovely, breezy song. One of my favourite from your foreign language picks so far.

Geezer, Audioslave - I remember buying this record based on the personnel alone but overall was left a little cold. Obviously Chris Cornell could still hold a note like few others, but other than Cochise didn't really enjoy the record as much as I had hoped. This song especially so, all a little pedestrian really.

JohnErle, Calexico - I will admit I have never really invested in Calexico as much as I probably should have, possibly because they don't really have that hit single to really draw you in. I own just the one album and mostly only know their work from the 80s. Indeed didn't know they even existed into this millennium. This was lovely though, must change my stance and listen to a lot more of them.

Leestu, You Am I - Yeah, despite being a 2000 release it certainly feels like it belongs to the 90s. Didn't really grab me, unfortunately, a lot of very clean production which kept me at a distance from the emotional pull you remark on.

Nspan, The Raveonettes - I love Pretty In Black, it really has that old 50s/60s Spektor vibe to it all, and the vocals are delicious, complete with woah woah woahs. Great pick.

Ron, The Wombats - How is this pop band from Liverpool able to have such a hold over you Aussies? This was possibly even worse than Leestu's pick. Not for me at all.

Screen, Bruno Mars - Ha! Six is right, there is definitely a Police vibe to this I'd never considered before. I do hear a little of We Are Scientists as the chorus kicks in however, while other than that I always assumed Mars was just a Michael Jackson wannabe. Not for me.

Shryke, Gotye - For some reason I get a White Town vibe to the song (you know the one hit wonder Your Woman)

Six, Swans - I was late to the Swans party, but I am now a fully fledged member! This is a great song from a fantastic record. Who would have thought Gira would have it in himself still after all these years to keep such a high standard. I enjoyed the change of pace on the last record, but who doesn't love a thumping Swans song (other than Shryke, obviously!!).

Tranny, Run The Jewels - Not usually a fan of this genre, but that was awesome, great beat to it all, properly pumped up and so much energy.