Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Julien Doré, Paris-Seychelles (2013)

Julien Doré took France by surprise, a decade ago, getting known on a TV contest, bringing a style and music no one was expecting there. He’s since become one of the most original singers here. His songs mix poetry and vibes with a unique effect, that may be hard to feel if you don’t speak French, but his music and voice might do the job for you.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, I Was Born (2010)

This is another track off their second album, and I think its the song that really made the punk community start paying attention to this little band from Scranton, Pennsylvania. Its so hooky, and showed a more polished sound, hinting that the Menzingers had so much potential in their bag of tricks, which they proved in spades with their follow up album. Still the standout track from Chamberlain Waits.

JOHNERLE

XTC, I'm The Man Who Murdered Love (2001)

I put a bullet in his sugar head
He thanked me kindly then he lay down dead
Phony roses blossomed where he bled
And all the cheering angels shook my hand and said

XTC were one of the best bands of the previous millennium, but they only had one album to draw from at the very beginning of this one. Still, this track is as good as anything they've ever done.

Also: Stupidly Happy, You And The Clouds Will Still Be Beautiful

LEESTU

Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days (2012)

Great guitar music with rough sounding vocals I love, that patiently builds to an epic finale.

NSPAN

Handsome Boy Modeling School, A Day in the Life (2004)

Dan the Automator + Prince Paul + Mars Volta + RZA

RON B

Tenacious D, Tribute (2002)

I still can't believe how this song has achieved cult status; my younger brother by almost 10 years even loves it. It still rocks my socks off

SCREEN203

Sia, Breathe Me (2005)

I struggled figuring out where to place Sia's various songs, as they are beautiful, but often very depressing. This is one of my favorites of hers - she does a great job at conveying so much emotion in her voice alone, and the stirring violins in the background all add up to a beautiful but tragic story that could only be told this way.

SHRYKE

Better Than Ezra, Briefly (2001)

While my list is heavily populated with radio hits, there are a few album cuts by some of my all time favorite artists, and this is one of them. Kevin Griffin’s voice is at its most regretful, its most melancholy, in this song off of Closer, their best record since the millennium turned. The lyrics cut me deep the first time I heard it, and that’s why it’s in my Top 60.

SIX

LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends (2007)

I remember this playing on the radio at work back in 2007, and my boss, who had no interest in modern music, stopped to ask about the song. That’s the great thing about James Murphy – he can tie together some many groups through his blend of punk, indie, and dance. And this is probably his most accessible song, with its Bowie vibe.

SURFER

Ex Hex, Beast (2014)

Forming a couple of years after Mary Timony's foray with Carrie Brownstein in Wild Flag, Ex Hex embraced the influence of The Runaways, The Cars, Cheap Trick and a whole host of bands from that era in a fantastic collection of power pop classics in 'Rips'. Stripping back her sound to reveal a foundation of pure rock n roll, Beast finds Timony and Co. at their leanest, with a propulsive riff that is immediate and demands your attention. It has a clean sound to it, but not overly produced, and so what results is an undeniably fun and exciting record that I return to time and time again.

TRANSFORMERS

Deftones, You've Seen the Butcher (2010)

Early on in my metal journey, I actually kind of hated Deftones. They had a song called Minvera that annoyed me on an old NHL game and the lone record I had heard from front back to back (Saturday Night Wrist) in my early high school years was super dull. Then the hype train for their 2010 comeback album Diamond Eyes reached a point where I couldn't ignore it anymore, so I forced myself to check it out. To my surprise, I loved it pretty much immediately. This was the second track I heard from that record and the one that I credit above all for helping me reassess and develop an appreciation for the entire Deftones catalog (except for Saturday Night Wrist-which can still fuck right off).

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #60-51

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Wasn't a fan of the vocals, but the bass had a good groove going on. I hear this a lot in your picks, actually!
Geez: No dial was moved.
John: That's the second xTC track from this record. I must be missing something! It sounded alright but I'd rather explore their earlier catalogue first.
Leetsu: Another great song from their best album. This is 8 mins of genius. One of the best songs ont he record along with the opener.
NSpan: Loving those fun, chilled beats. Could do without the spoken word stuff at the end, although I believe that's another song?
Ron B: Comedy rock is so hard to do. You gotta be musically good AND funny, and most of it, with the exception of a few Flight of the Conchords songs, don't achieve either. This is okay, but really needs the video to enjoy it.
Screen: Sia is a great song-writer. She penned Rihanna's best song, for example. As pop goes, this was okay but leans a bit too much into melodrama for me.
Shryke: I prefer Ezra! I also prefer mid 1990s Radiohead. ;)
Surf: This was decent but probably won't stick with me. I kinda prefer Mary's solo stuff or her work as Helium. Dear lord I'm in full music snob mode today!!!
Tranny: This was decent. If it's leaning towards metal but slow enough to appreciate the notes, then I'll give it a shot.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#60 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6f2mJ ... GF3R3l4CMQ

Missing: XTC I'm The Man Who Murdered Love

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Before I comment let me just say that my pick today is a perfect example of why I love projects like these. I first discovered Cloud Nothings through other projects like this we've done here, so I think I have Six and Surfer to thank in this case. There are many other songs on my list that I've found through you guys here, and I know I am going to get more music I like from this.

The I Love It

LCD Soundsystem, All My Friends - I once heard this song played as a tribute to a long term (over 10 years), well loved, community radio breakfast presenter, on one of his final shows. A truly moving moment.

The Awesome

Tenacious D, Tribute - one of the best novelty songs of the millennium...so much fun, and it rocks. I doubt I will ever get sick of this song

The Excellent

Deftones, You've Seen the Butcher - first listen...it feels like there is a power in this song that they are trying to contain but it's forcing it's way out...I've only heard White Pony and Around The Fur (both great) so need to hear this album

The Very Good

The Menzingers, I Was Born - first listen...I realised listening to this that, like a lot of your picks, this is the sort of song that if this was by a local band here, would make me go see them play. Loving live music would probably then make me like & listen to the band more...this was really good, but being picky here, it could have had a little bit more life to it that it would probably have at a live performance...anyway I like what I've heard of The Menzingers and I'm happy to hear more

XTC, I'm The Man Who Murdered Love - first listen...they were so good in the '80s, and this second song has convinced me to check out the album sometime

Sia, Breathe Me - first listen...even if I don't always like her music she is a great singer, and a great song writer...this song worked for me, probably because of the reasons Screen described.

Handsome Boy Modeling School, A Day in the Life - first listen...the rapping is okay, but those funky beats, the hook of the chorus, and the vocals (especially at the end of the song) won me over.

The Good

Ex Hex, Beast - I like Ex Hex but they feel a bit tame for me to more than just like them

The Okay

Better Than Ezra, Briefly - first listen...what Six said

The Rest

Julien Doré, Paris-Seychelles - first listen...this did nothing for me...too generic for my taste...maybe understanding the lyrics would help but I doubt it

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Leestu wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 11:28 pm

The Very Good

The Menzingers, I Was Born - first listen...I realised listening to this that, like a lot of your picks, this is the sort of song that if this was by a local band here, would make me go see them play. Loving live music would probably then make me like & listen to the band more...this was really good, but being picky here, it could have had a little bit more life to it that it would probably have at a live performance...anyway I like what I've heard of The Menzingers and I'm happy to hear more

This is basically my entire approach to music summarized in one short paragraph. (It is also true in reverse, I'll see a band open for a band I already like, have them blow me away live, and then dive into their catalog).

Definitely go see them if they ever get over there and you have the time. I've never been disappointed and I've been to more than 10 of their shows.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I must confess nothing really caught my ear in round 60. There are rounds like that...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Not feeling well today. May wait until tomorrow to do #59. I'm also waiting on Screen to send me his pick.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm
Not feeling well today. May wait until tomorrow to do #59. I'm also waiting on Screen to send me his pick.
Fuck.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

IT'S NOT CORONA!!!!

I think...

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle - The Man Who Murdered Love - I LOVE XTC, and am glad to see I'm not the only one. Their lyrics are some of the best ever written. This is another example. 8.5/10

Geezer - I Was Born - I like it when punk overlaps with the 90's ska sound perfect by groups like Rancid. This did that. 7/10

Transformers - You've Seen the Butcher - I'm a fan of Deftones. That thumbnail made me wonder if this song was from that godawful Green Inferno movie, but once I got past that, I thoroughly enjoyed the song. 7/10

Surfer - Beast - This was good. My mind definitely went to Blondie, Joan Jett, and classic Pretenders while listening this. Thanks. 6.5/10

Six - All My Friends - Was this on someone else's list? Either way, I liked it, though I wish there'd been a shorter delivery and a bigger payoff. 6.5/10

Ron B - Tribute - I'm not opposed to comedy music (I've got a Weird Al song coming up), but I've just never been a huge fan of Jack's sense of humor. The video was funny, though. 6/10

Leestu - Wasted Days - Wow. I definitely heard strains of "Paint it Black" and "Break On Through" in this song. All nine minutes of it. 6/10

Sia - Breathe Me - I like some of Sia's songs, but this was totally unmemorable for me. 5.5/10

Chien - Paris-Seychelles - This was very okay. 5.5/10

NSpan - A Day In the Life - This one grew on me a little by the end, but only a little. 5.5/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry to scare you, Geez. I'm feeling better now.

Remember, tomorrow is the Mystery Round, so make it a point to tune in!

CHIEN

The Postal Service, Such Great Heights (2003)

I’ve listened to this song a lot. Some prefer the calmer cover by Iron & Wine, and I really like it too, but I love how this original version walks a fine line between amazing and campy and goes all the way through it.

GEEZER

Dropkick Murphys, Sunshine Highway (2005)

I think most people's first (and possibly only) exposure to the Dropkick Murphys was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston," with it being prominently featured in The Departed. Personally, I kinda hate the song at this point and it has never been one of their better songs in my opinion. This song from the same album (their best) was probably MY first exposure to the band, and the first song I definitely fell in love with by them. Catchy, great guitars, sing-along, its everything I love. Side note: These guys just broadcast a live concert on St. Patrick's day because their usual Boston show on St. Pats was obviously cancelled due to the virus, and between Facebook and Youtube, it had as many as 280 thousand streams going. Not freaking bad for a little Boston punk band. I watched all two hours of it, beer in hand and I loved it.

JOHNERLE

Kings Of Leon, Dusty (2003)

I listened to this band a lot when they first came out, but Sex On Fire was a dealbreaker for me, so I washed my hands of them for a long time. When putting this list together I decided to revisit them and found a lot of songs I still liked, so I figured they deserved a spot on my list. I was going to post Molly's Chambers but I couldn't tell if that video was a parody of 70s fashion or if they dressed like that in their everyday lives. If so, I wash my hands of them again.

LEESTU

Something For Kate, Déjà Vu (2003)

One of the great male vocalists in Australian music, with catchy, well written alt/indie rock songs that don’t stand out at first, but over time grow on you and reveal their quality.

NSPAN

Black Mountain, Old Fangs (2010)

More from The Black Mountain Army. More chugging, retro-fueled hard rock. Another track that benefits from listening at a HIGH VOLUME.

RON B

Foster the People, Pumped Up Kicks (2010)

Catchy and fun as hell, had this (and the album) on repeat when i travelled across Europe.

SCREEN203

Alanis Morissette, 21 Things I Want In A Lover (2002)

We see Alanis at her most clever as she lists her "qualities she prefers" in a partner in the subversively feminist lyrics. While much of the album is quite dark thematically, despite the summery medleys, this stays sarcastic and lighthearted as the insturmentals (love the guitar). It's a great start to the album, and it never fails to make me smile.

SHRYKE

311, Sunset in July (2011)

311 is one of those groups whose songs either hit my musical spot or miss it completely. Two of their songs have stuck with me over the last decade, and both made my list. This is the first.

SIX

Major Lazer, Get Free (2013)

Who would have thought that an electro-dancehall act would turn up on my list? But this is a major departure for Major Lazer, a sombre dirge about struggling for freedom amongst repression. Singer Amber Coffman, once a member of Dirty Projectors, delivers her trademark off-key vocals to highlight the sense of despair, contrasting with the almost relaxing reggae-infused tune.

SURFER

The Coathangers, Make It Right (2016)

The Coathangers have a knack for breaking the rules, they have been doing so for the best part of the last decade, and in so doing so, making songs better than pretty much everyone else. As a consequence of making these records in the name of fun, the result is these damn catchy songs which seem almost an afterthought, filled with ''woah-woahs'', immediate power chords and propulsive drum beats. Long may these gals continue to break the rules, as they freakin' rock.

TRANSFORMERS

Gojira, Backbone (2005)

Thought Chien was going to be the only one to feature French acts on their list? THINK AGAIN. These Bayonne residents produce some of the deepest, heaviest riffs ever concocted by man and write about the destruction of our planet with a palpable, justifiable sense of anger.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I apologize for being so late.

I really hope you are feeling better. I have symptoms and was tested on Wednesday - still no results. Stay safe!

I also have sent my song to you.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thanks, Screen, I am feeling better. Hope you are too.

Please get your Mystery Round pick to me as soon as possible.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Very Good

Kings Of Leon, Dusty - I like the more unpolished early Kings Of Leon albums...great vocals and an interesting take on bluesy Southern rock

Black Mountain, Old Fangs - first listen...interesting song that sounds both old and new

Foster the People, Pumped Up Kicks - I fully expected to see this song appear at some stage, and wouldn't be surprised to see it again...catchy AF

The Coathangers, Make It Right - first listen...cool song...like the vocals

The Good

Major Lazer, Get Free - I did not expect a Major Lazer song from you, but I can see why...this is a good song

The Okay

311, Sunset in July - first listen...not bad

Gojira, Backbone - first listen...sludgy metal...not bad

The Postal Service, Such Great Heights - nice enough vocals but too synth poppy for my tastes...one of the better songs on a dull album though

Dropkick Murphys, Sunshine Highway - first listen...I like some Dropkick Murphys, but this party chant didn't do much for me

Alanis Morissette, 21 Things I Want In A Lover- the guitar is okay