Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Post by numbersix »

Well, I see both as making the same country-pop music. And as for feeling, I don't hear any feeling from LeAnn Rimes. It's the same ol' cliched crap to me, and hence I see her as the same as Miley Cyrus.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

While I have a strong distaste for both LeAnn Rimes and Miley Cyrus, there is very little comparison between the two.. Miley Cyrus was grown in a Disney-owned lab as a pop-culture experiment.. Rimes, despite the fact that I don't like her stuff, is nonetheless writing and performing actual MUSIC
i've never heard any radiohead, but if they are more of this, then sign me up
I would definitely recommend OK Computer as a starting point for just about anyone.
Leestu wrote:NSpan
The Warlocks, “Left and Right of the Moon” (2001)
I will be looking up more from this band for sure once this countdown is done. And while checking out that I had the title for "Hurricane Heart Attack" correct I noticed that Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3 guests on the track. Do you know in what way Nspan?
That particular rendition is only available as the b-side to the "Baby Blue" CD single. It's a live version that I haven't heard. Sounds cool, though.
numbersix wrote:They're still all good, but many weren't great. I loved your James Brown song, as well as Hendrix and the Breeders. But stuff like George Harrisson, Lynard Skynyrd, Creedance... none of these acts are my thing, so I can't join you on that journey. Don't worry, though, I'm sure you'll realise the error of your Dad Rock ways ;).
Perhaps. But, then again, maybe you'll finally resolve your daddy-issues and come to the (shocking) realization that dad actually had one or two pretty cool albums in his collection after all.
undeadmonkey wrote:NSpan
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “The Midnight Special”

loved it, from the few CCR that you have posted, i'm definitely going to have to look into them, but i'll need some suggestions
Most people are content with Chronicle Vol. 01 and Vol. 02. Two really amazing compilation records--and probably your best bet. But, if you'd rather dive into the original albums, I'd start with either Green River or Willy and the Poor Boys. And, from there, I'd pick up Cosmos' Factory.

My 20 Favorite from this thread (in no particular order):

Radiohead, Fake Plastic Trees
Pigbag, Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag
Tom Waits, Earth Died Screaming
Talking Heads, This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)
Weezer, Say it Ain't So
The Beatles, A Day in the Life
Silversun Pickups, Lazy Eye
Talking Heads, Psycho Killer
Velvet Underground, Venus in Furs
Pixies, Vamos
Air, Playground Love
Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun
Philip Glass, Pruit Igoe
Hope of the States, The Red the White the Black the Blue
The White Stripes, Death Letter
Led Zeppelin, The Immigrant Song
Rolling Stones, Paint it Black
Rolling Stones, Under My Thumb
AC/DC, TNT
Smashing Pumpkins, Bullet With Butterfly Wings
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

My top 10 has been breached once, but by 1 I would have probably though the least likely of the 10.
Last edited by becs on May 11th, 2010, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I've only finished my list up to #40, but not one of my un-ordered songs have been done yet.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:While I have a strong distaste for both LeAnn Rimes and Miley Cyrus, there is very little comparison between the two.. Miley Cyrus was grown in a Disney-owned lab as a pop-culture experiment.. Rimes, despite the fact that I don't like her stuff, is nonetheless writing and performing actual MUSIC
Their background may have been different but ultimately the music sounds the same to me. I fail to see the difference.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I can see where NSpan is coming from, in so far as he respects (maybe that's too polite a word) her for actually creating this type of music, where as Mily Cyrus is just singing (again, that may be too polite a word) songs she is fed. Maybe that makes LeAnn Rimes even worse...

I guess it's in the same vein as when I was growing up I was having to constantly defend my criticism of The Corrs in relation to Bewitched (how do I even remember who those one hit Spice Girls wannabies are!), who I thought to be of equal talent.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

LeAnn Rimes doesn't write her own music either. Or at least she certainly didn't write the song UDM picked.

And I can't believe you remember Bewitched. Or B'Witched as they were officially called. The company I used to work for made a documentary on them being the Next Big Thing. That didn't work out. I blame the excessive denim.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:LeAnn Rimes doesn't write her own music either. Or at least she certainly didn't write the song UDM picked.

And I can't believe you remember Bewitched. Or B'Witched as they were officially called. The company I used to work for made a documentary on them being the Next Big Thing. That didn't work out. I blame the excessive denim.
I blamed the excessive use of CGI glittery stars and a teletubbies set for their video.

And I didn't know LeAnn Rimes (by the way what a terrible name) didn't write her own music, I think she had always kind of presented the image that it was her own thing. I withdraw my previous comment then. There is nothing to separate her from Miley Cyrus.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:
numbersix wrote:LeAnn Rimes doesn't write her own music either. Or at least she certainly didn't write the song UDM picked.

I blamed the excessive use of CGI glittery stars and a teletubbies set for their video.

And I didn't know LeAnn Rimes (by the way what a terrible name) didn't write her own music, I think she had always kind of presented the image that it was her own thing. I withdraw my previous comment then. There is nothing to separate her from Miley Cyrus.
Yikes. I thought she wrote her own music, too.... Hmm... Well, doesn't she play instruments? ... maybe?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

She does write her own music, and she does play instruments, but six is right, i dont think she wrote the song i picked.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 62:

Shrykespeare - Better Than Ezra, “At the Stars” (1999)
Kinda blah in my opinion, not memorable, they have done better. Like Desperately wanting... now that is a kick ass song! If I owned it, it probably would have made my list. Alas :(

NSpan
The Warlocks, “Left and Right of the Moon” (2001)
There's a little bit here, but its just not enough to stick with me I'm afraid. Maybe another song will.

Numbersix - Talking Heads, “This Must be the Place (“Naïve Melody)” (1983)
Still not a fan

becs - Jane's Addiction, “Been Caught Stealing”
Great song

undeadmonkey - Zac Brown Band, “Free”
I loved the violins in the beginning, and could have seen it going full on irish punk, but it went country, so not for me.

leestu - The Pixies, “Vamos” (1988)
Its stuff like this that reminds me that I don't really like the Pixies, even though they have a few good songs.

Buscemi - New Radicals, “You Get What You Give”
Awesome, awesome song

silversurfer - Manic Street Preachers, “PCP”
This wasn't something that stood out to me. Was ok, just forgettable.

transformers - Mastodon, “Sleeping Giant”
eh, you know its not really my thing

W - Rolling Stones, “Paint it Black”
My favorite Rolling Stones song, absolutely incredible!

Banks - Lily Allen, “Friend of Mine”
This wasn't as good as the other Lily Allen Song that I have heard, which I don't remember the name of.

englishozzy - AC/DC, “TNT”
Awesome.

BarcaRulz - R.E.M., “Losing My Religion”
Double awesome!

Ron Burgundy - Alice in Chains, “Man in the Box”
Back to single awesome.

Basically in this round, if I had heard it before, it was great, but none of the new stuff grabbed me.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 63:

Shrykespeare
Eminem, “Without Me” (2002)
I don't like this one

NSpan
George Harrison, “Hear Me Lord” (1970)
I think I liked Peace on Earth better, but still really good.

Numbersix
Leftfield, “Dusted” (1999)
Its better than most rap, but still not good.

becs – Muse, “Starlight”
I obviously adore this song

undeadmonkey
Black Eyed Peas, “Meet Me Halfway”
I actually didn't mind this song, I wouldn't seek it out, but I'd tolerate it being on in the car if a friend wanted to hear it.

leestu
Velvet Underground, “Venus In Furs” (1967)
Not for me, just boring and weird.

Buscemi
The Verve, “Bittersweet Symphony” (also Ron Burgundy's #66)
Still awesome!

silversurfer
Pavement, “Summer Babe”
I need to give this a few more spins. There could be something here for me.

transformers
Muse “Assassin”
Isn't Muse just fucking awesome? Love it!
W
Led Zeppelin, “The Immigrant Song” (also surfer's #75)
Good song, cool opening lick, classic.

Banks
Moloko, “Sing It Back”
That was fucking cringe-worthy

englishozzy
Korn, “Freak on a Leash”
The very best of Korn. Have loved this one for years, and I still do.

BarcaRulz
Arcade Fire, "No Cars Go"
Pretty decent for a non “Rebellion (Lies)” or “Wake Up” Arcade Fire song. I should probably check out more of the Neon Bible album.

Ron Burgundy
Aphex Twin, “Windowlicker”
Double Cringe Worthy

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Song 61:

Becs/Leestu- Very good. I might need to dig a little deeper on Bowie, as I'm not sure I've ever heard this one before and I really liked it. And I like a lot of other Bowie songs.

Shryke- Radiohead is to rock music what Kanye West is to hip-hop.

NSpan- I have a CCR song on my list, but this isn't one of my favorites from them.

Six- still can't stand this band. His voice is just awful.

UDM- this song is so fucking bad!!!!!!!!!!! And I like Outcast. Yes, Roses smell like poo poo. Wonderful lyrics.

Boosh- when I was repeatedly passing through the songs to comment them in the quick reply box, I was hoping there was some of the band Goldfinger on there, but sadly, its this shitty song.

Surfer- still not a fan

Tranny- Absolutely love this album! Great choice!

W- obviously amazing!

Banks- she really does have a great voice, I was kinda surprised that I actually kinda dug this. The music sucked though, its all in the voice.

Ozzy- I like it.

Barca- I generally really don't like Dave Matthews but you described this song very accurately and I like it for the same reasons.

Ron- awesome selection! Really enjoyed this album! Kick ass guitar work and I love the guy's voice.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote: Shryke- Radiohead is to rock music what Kanye West is to hip-hop.
I have NO IDEA as to whether you mean this as a compliment or a slam.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Then you haven't been paying attention to anything I have said regarding either of the two artists.