Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#61

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: As for the Radiohead debate, let's keep Greenwood's score to There Will Be Blood in mind. I love that movie--but almost in a campy sense, and the soundtrack is one of the primary reasons I approach it in such a way. Greenwood's contribution was just so over-the-top, misdirected, and (for a brief moment or two) outright inappropriate..
What a perfect description of the movie. I too like it, but purely on a performance level, while the rest feel so OTT that it's strangely mesmerising. But it's far from genius. Now, I can't blame Greenwood for his music, especially since it wasn't written specifically for the film. It's PT Anderson's fault for including it. But having said that, Greenwood's score in itself doesn't impress me. Just listen to a few random tracks from composer Gyorgy Ligeti and you'l see how much Greenwood is ripping him off.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Alright, time for a bit of a recap.

Overall, it keeps getting better and better (with the exception of one. More on that later). 4 songs in this thread will feature in my Top 100, including not one but two songs that have made my Top 10. Anyone else have their Top 10 breached yet?

There were a few mild surprises when looking over the list. the usual dynamic duo are no more. SS, you're picks are still excellent as always (maybe a little better this thread), but I'm sorry to say, NSpan, that for me your picks weren't as strong as usual. They're still all good, but many weren't great. I loved your James Brown song, as well as Hendrix and the Breeders. But stuff like George Harrisson, Lynard Skynyrd, Creedance... none of these acts are my thing, so I can't join you on that journey. Don't worry, though, I'm sure you'll realise the error of your Dad Rock ways ;). The one person who has blown me away this thread is Leetsu. Man, most of your picks have been the highlight of each round: New Order, the Velvets, the Pixies, and especially the SLF song (which would have made my Top #110). And it was great to hear a Boys Next Door song. Major props to you, sir.

As for the middle group (those of you who have good and okay picks), I think Geezer surprised the most. Only Puddle of Mudd and System of a Down were bad, then the rest were good (Weezer, the Beatles) if not great (The Clash, Arcade Fire, Smashing Pumpkins). Interesting to see no nirvana on this thread... am I right in guessing there's gonna be more than 2 Nirvana songs in your Top Ten? Shryke's picks have been getting better (although they're rarely bad), Boosch has been improving, W and Banks have been diversifying for the better. Becs had some great tunes. Newbies Ron and Barca have including some choice tunes, and even tranny has been expanding his range of musical taste. The two left over are UDM and Ozzy. Sorry guys, I just don't dig your music. Ozzy, at least I can understand some of your picks, but UDM, we're basically incompatible. I haven't liked a single pick this thread (your Outkast song being the best). I just don't get where you're coming from. It's the kind fo pop music that I always assume teen girls listen to because for them music doesn't get any deeper than "having fun" as they jump on their bed and sing into their hairbrush. Don't get me wrong, I don't see you as a lesser person or anything like that (there's plenty of assholes with good taste in music), I just find your choices for your favourite songs of all time, songs that will live on forever in your consciousness, to be bizarre.

Highlights of this thread's new songs are Tranny's Dead Kennedys song, NSpan's James Brown funk fest, and SS's Pavement song.

EDIT: And now I will be introducing a new feature of my round-up: it's the Award for Geezer's Most Cutting Response to a Song or General Taste. And this round's award goes to:
Six- this was so bad I thought Boush posted it. Its a perfect example of everything I can't stand about most of your choices, but we've been through that. You are UDM in the opposite extreme. I'm so glad no one else sounds like this!
Not one, not two, but THREE of us insulted all in the same sentence! It's gonna be tough to see if you can top this, but let's see what wins next thread's award.

Finally, a preview of what's to come (you already know 60):

A 2003 dance-punk single that features plenty of cowbell
A 2002 album track from a post-punk revivalist group
A 1998 single from a Brit-pop act who went a little dark
A 1997 single from an act who bridged the hip-hop/indie gap
A 1985 song from a unique female singer
A 1980 post-punk anthem from a long-lasting group
A screwed-up 1977 post-punk cover of a classic rock tune
A 1971 acoustic ballad from a rock act that has appeared frequently on the last thread
A 1970 song from one of the first "alternative" bands
Last edited by numbersix on May 11th, 2010, 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Leestu wrote: 1980 post punk song once voted the greatest song of the millenium in a radio poll
Think I know what this is. And if so I tip my hat to you, sir.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:Alright, time for a bit of a recap.

Overall, it keeps getting better and better (with the exception of one. More on that later). 4 songs in this thread will feature in my Top 100, including not one but two songs that have made my Top 10. Anyone else have their Top 10 breached yet?
Yeah twice. Both in this thread too.
EDIT: And now I will be introducing a new feature of my round-up: it's the Award for Geezer's Most Cutting Response to a Song or General Taste. And this round's award goes to:

Six- this was so bad I thought Boush posted it. Its a perfect example of everything I can't stand about most of your choices, but we've been through that. You are UDM in the opposite extreme. I'm so glad no one else sounds like this!

Not one, not two, but THREE of us insulted all in the same sentence! It's gonna be tough to see if you can top this, but let's see what wins next thread's award.
Classic!

Glad to hear you're liking my picks Six. I'll try and keep the quality up, but I'm sure to have a couple disappoint. :D
Your list was pretty top notch too this round, with Pigbag especially being a fantastic pick, as was Surfers and Becs. I think the three of you had about eight out of your ten picks each that were better than good. Overall though the songs are getting better and nearly everyone has a few songs or more that like.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Six- I haven't ordered my list above the top 50, and there will be another Nirvana song up soon, but it is highly likely to see two Nirvana songs in the top ten, and obviously quite a few in the top 50.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

W wrote: 53. 1974 First US hit for one of the greatest rock bands of all time.
becs wrote: 1974 first international hit for an iconic brit rock group
I get the feeling we will have another repeat, though really it only surprises me that we HAVEN'T seen this song already in someones list.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: I just don't get where you're coming from. It's the kind fo pop music that I always assume teen girls listen to because for them music doesn't get any deeper than "having fun" as they jump on their bed and sing into their hairbrush. Don't get me wrong, I don't see you as a lesser person or anything like that (there's plenty of assholes with good taste in music),
well, keep in mind that i do like to dance, not exactly on my bed, but hip hop, lyrical, classical, ballroom, etc. I think the reason you don't 'get' my list is because of the way you view music, you more than anyone on here looks on the technical side of music. and like i've said before, i really don't care about that. It's kind of like the way geez views movies, if that helps any. I think once you understand that you would 'get' my list. I mean come on, it's not like i'm posting justin beiber, miley cyrus or jonas brothers' songs ;) .

and sorry if anyone is hoping my list was going to change to grunge, punk or etc as we go along. it's more of the same dance genre mixed in with some rock, pop, country, hip hop, reggae, latin, classical, oldies etc. and while some of you view my list as 'bland' or 'safe'. I hope you've come to realize my taste is really varied, while not a lot of everyones songs have made my list, if we were doing a top 200 or 300, they would overlap more, as i do love a lot of the songs that people have posted.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Miley Cyrus, LeAnn Rimes, what's the difference?

I should add I know very little technically about music, so not sure why you'd think that. Unless by technical you mean good taste ;)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

NSpan
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “The Midnight Special”

loved it, from the few CCR that you have posted, i'm definitely going to have to look into them, but i'll need some suggestions

Ron Burgundy
Bloc Party, “Helicopter”

love this band! my personal favorite songs are, biko, signs, and flux!

Shrykespeare
Radiohead, “Fake Plastic Trees”
(1995)
i've never heard any radiohead, but if they are more of this, then sign me up

silversurfer
Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer”
(also leestu's #64)
i've come to really enjoy these guys, my favorite so far from what someones posted from them is, Road to Nowhere, dont remember who posted it though, sorry

Geezer
The Beatles, "A Day In The Life"

great great stuff! what else can i say

transformers
Coheed and Cambria, “Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)”

that was kinda interesting, i could dig it

W
AC/DC, “Back in Black”
(also Geezer's #75)
i think the songs ok, i like the studio version better though

Banks
Kina Grannis, “Stars Falling Down”

wasn't bad considering where it came from, i was expecting a lot worse. she has a nice voice. i found the dood dood do annoying though.

Buscemi
Shirley Bassey, “Goldfinger”

was ok for the movie

Numbersix
Joy Division, “Twenty Four Hours”
(1980)
couldnt get into it

becs/leestu
David Bowie, “Life on Mars?”
(1973)
just cant get into it

BarcaRulz
Dave Matthews Band, “The Fly”

yea, i couldnt get into this either

englishozzy
Elvis Presley, “A Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)”

no, no, not for me. even though this isnt one of my favorite elvis songs, the original is so much better than this

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote:Miley Cyrus, LeAnn Rimes, what's the difference?
well if you dont see any difference between those two, then that throws

I should add I know very little technically about music, so not sure why you'd think that. Unless by technical you mean good taste ;)
this out of the window. ;)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #4): #70-#

Post by Shrykespeare »

undeadmonkey wrote:Shrykespeare
Radiohead, “Fake Plastic Trees”
(1995)
i've never heard any radiohead, but if they are more of this, then sign me up
Well, as I said, I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, so I'm sure there's plenty here that would be willing to point you in the right direction if you want to hear more.

I can tell you that there will be more as this countdown progresses (though not from me).
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

undeadmonkey wrote:]
well if you dont see any difference between those two, then that throws
this out of the window. ;)
Haha. Honestly though, I'd love to see what you think are the difference between the two. And I dont' mean the technical ability of their voices (if you iused that logic, then Mariah Carey would have to comprise of your entire Top 10, as she has one of the technically "best" singing voices).

As for Radiohead, if you like Fake Plastic Trees I say get The Bends. It's their most normal album, they got more experimental with OK Computer, and eben more so with Kid A, ditching guitars and making Aphex Twin-inspired music.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:
Alright, time for a bit of a recap.

6 of my songs to come have appeared so far (4 from this thread), and my top ten hase been breached twice. I can even say my no.1 has already been played....

Oh and UDM, if you like Radiohead expect to hear at least a couple of tracks from me alone, and considering they are not coming up in this coming thread, I'll say that someone else obviously likes them too.

And that 1974 rock track couldn't possibly be Queen, could it?

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Of course it is SS. And my top 10 has not been breached yet.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: Haha. Honestly though, I'd love to see what you think are the difference between the two. And I dont' mean the technical ability of their voices (if you iused that logic, then Mariah Carey would have to comprise of your entire Top 10, as she has one of the technically "best" singing voices).
well that's kind of an unfair handicapping, to me the voice is at least half of the song, if not more. and when i talk about voice, i dont just mean technically, i also mean emotionally.

as for any other differences there arent that much i guess. one is country, one is pop. one i feel has emotion, the other i feel doesnt and is in it for the fame and money. What about them makes you think they are exactly the same?