Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Gorillaz, Feel Good Inc. (2005)

When I listen to this song, it feels like I’m 23 or 24 again. You couldn’t escape this song back then, and in fact I never wanted to. It’s cool, surprising, it’s mellow and yet it rocks. Some songs are flat, but this one goes up and down, left and right, with a groovy attitude. It’s just great.

GEEZER

Green Day, St. Jimmy (2004)

This is easily the "punkest" song from Green Day's American Idiot (my favorite album of 2004, by the way). Which easily makes it one of the standout tracks from the album. I do have one ranked higher though. This song just really showed that even in an epic pop-punk rock opera, Green Day still had their old school punk roots fully in their back pocket.

JOHNERLE

Bloc Party, This Modern Love (2005)

Like Santigold, this is another case of a black artist defying expectations. I probably listened to these guys for several months before I learned the singer was black, which was definitely a surprise.

LEESTU

FIDLAR, 40oz on Repeat (2015)

A reliably fun garage punk band. Reliable in that all their albums are great, and there is a lot of variety both from album to album, and within each of them. Even when the relatable lyrics are a bit “woe is me”, which is most of the time, there is still an underlying sense of humour to them – one of my favourite lines from this song :-

“And I'll just scream and shout, that I'll never sell out
I'll never sell out, man!
Wait, how much?”

A very clever video too, parodying many famous music videos.

NSPAN

Pillow Fight, Redemption (2012)

Listen to that Goblin sample!! More Automator + Emily Wells

RON B

Bernard Fanning, Wish You Well (2005)

This is short and sharp. Showcasing Bernard Fanning's voice, it was a nice little departure from the more Alt Rock stuff by his former band, Powderfinger.

SCREEN203

Meg Myers, Desire (2013)

Meg Myers is a fucking genius. The disturbing video only caps off her exploration of lust to extreme degrees, sort of a female version of "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails.

Warning: (NSFW)

SHRYKE

Fatboy Slim, Weapon of Choice (2001)

It’s rare that a song is made exponentially better because of its accompanying video, but this is one of those cases. Christopher Walken finally got to put his dance training to use, and the video won awards for its choreography. I double-dog dare you all to watch it and not smile. As for the song itself, well, it’s got a catchy vibe that may never leave your brain once you hear it. And listen carefully… there’s actually a Dune reference in the lyrics, which are sung by none other than Bootsy Collins himself!

SIX

The Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) (2004)

I had been using file sharing programmes since the end of the 90s, but it was always a track here and there (my computer didn’t’ have enough memory to store more than a handful of songs). But that quickly changed, and I believe Funeral was the first album I downloaded every track from, as it wasn’t released over here until 2005. But boy, it was worth being the kid who was telling all his friends to listen out for this new Canadian band, who sounded like the lovechild of Springsteen and the Talking Heads. Rebellion was the first song of theirs I totally fell for, thanks to its rousing music roaring in the face of its angry lyrics. It still gets me, every time I listen. And I owe it all to Limewire.

SURFER

Liars, The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack (2006)

Liars returned on their third outing with a fascinating concept record which revolved around the yin and yang relationship of two fictionalised characters, Drum and Mt. Heart Attack. One driven and assertive, the other filled with self doubt, it began an intriguing and absorbing listen filled with tribal drums and droning guitars. However, the highlight of the record belongs to its closer, this much more intimate piece, where everything is dialled back and what is left is a sparse and quite beautiful song. It provides a spin on Mt. Heart Attack's less positive stance throughout the record and I feel it suggests that not everything is black and white, there is also so much hope to be found where it feels like there is none.

TRANSFORMERS

Queens of the Stone Age, Go with the Flow (2002)

The first three Queen of the Stone Age records are eccentric, rifftastic rock n'roll masterpieces. The presence of a mighty infectious hook alongside their traditional fuzzy, psychedelic guitars and massive drumming is what gives "Go with the Flow" a slight edge over the rest of my favorite Queen of the Stone Age songs ("The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret", "How to Handle a Rope", "No One Knows").

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Post by numbersix »

Chien: a totally recognisable song. The bassline is cool but it grates a little after a while. The acoustic guitar bit does break it up a bit. It's a good attempt at a genre crossover that doesn't quite work, but ain't half bad
Geez: It's definitely Green Day's punkiest song in some time. When it gets fast it gets good.
John: Excellent song. There are no duds on the album. The only reason this didn't make my list is because the climax isn't as big as the versus set up. Incredible nevertheless.
Leetsu: The song is like the video - kinda fun but kinda disposable!
NSpan: Really nice, especially when the beat kicks in. I'm enjoying all your Dan the Automator tracks.
Ron B: This kinda music really ain't my thing.
Screen: The song, like the video, stinks of trying too hard to be something it's not. I bet she sniggerd every time she utters the word "fuck".
Shryke: The vocals kinda annoy me, but the music is fun and the video is joyous.
Surf: Interesting pick! I generally prefer the more anxiety-filled, noisier songs from that album, but they're all so tied together into that concept that I struggled to extract one as a standalone. There is a Liars track from another album coming soon.
Tranny: Yes! This song rocks. Great rhythm and guitar work.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu - 40 oz. On Repeat - This was HYSTERICAL. I recognized the Beastie Boys, Britney Spears, Jamiroquai and George Michael references, but I may need help with some of the others. As for the song, it was awesome. 7.5/10

Geezer - St. Jimmy - Great song, great album. I have one coming up from this album in the next few days... which means at least one of this tough crowd of music snobs will like it. :mrgreen: 7.5/10

Six - Rebellion - Terrific song. Methinks this won't be the last time we hear it... maybe even as early as tomorrow... 7/10

Transformers - Go With the Flow - I'm a fan of QotSA. "No One Knows" nearly made my list. This is another one of their really good ones. 7/10

Chien - Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz are a bit of a puzzle for me. A lot of their stuff just doesn't resonate with me, while others miss the mark completely. When it DOES hit, though, I absolutely love it. I have THREE Gorillaz songs on my list (two of which will be VERY high). This song is in the kinda-sorta like it category. 6.5/10

Screen203 - Desire - I'm not sure what a female version of Closer would look like, but this isn't it. It's sexy, yes, but not all that provocative. 6/10

NSpan - Redemption - Definitely had its moments. My favorite PF song you've presented so far. 6/10

JohnErle - This Modern Love - Just okay for me. 6/10

Ron B - Wish You Well - It was okay. Doubt I'll remember it in an hour. 5.5/10

Surfer - The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack - I found it boring. 5/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#70 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0fcZT ... DAUki-cayw

Can someone add Pillowfight if it's available in your country?

Also please note: St Jimmy includes Are We The Waiting.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Gorillaz, Feel Good Inc. - a song that lives up to it's title and just makes me feel good...made my early short list

The Excellent

Green Day, St. Jimmy - this is the sort of Green Day I love...brash and energetic

Bloc Party, This Modern Love - interesting that we have had two songs from this album so far,and if I had of chosen one it would be a different one again...this one is one of my favourites but they are all good on this excellent album...I love the back and forth with himself on this song

Queens of the Stone Age, Go with the Flow - such a cool rock groove

Fatboy Slim, Weapon of Choice - fun song...fun video...Fatboy Slim can make electronic music catchier than most

The Very Good

Meg Myers, Desire - first listen...not bad at all...I surprisingly liked her Take Me To The Disco album, and this was better than most of the songs on that album...I liked her voice, the subtle dissonance in the song, the escalation of the song near the end, and the guitar solo was pretty cool...overall a cool vibe

The Good

Pillow Fight, Redemption - first listen...I liked it

Liars, The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack - not exactly my sort of thing but I do appreciate it

The Okay

The Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) - heard it so many times now and it just refuses to click with me and be anything more than just okay indie rock

Bernard Fanning, Wish You Well - this was so disappointing after Powderfinger...like a busker's throwaway song that he probably came up with in five minutes...it has grown on me a tiny little bit over the years but at first I felt so let down

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Leestu - 40 oz. On Repeat - This was HYSTERICAL. I recognized the Beastie Boys, Britney Spears, Jamiroquai and George Michael references, but I may need help with some of the others. As for the song, it was awesome. 7.5/10
0:24 Sugar Ray - Fly
0:39 Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
0:55 Missy Elliot - Supa Dupa Fly
1:05 Devo - Jocko Homo
1:21 Weezer - Sweater Song
1:35 Eminem - Real Slim Shady
1:43 Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right
1:57 Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity
2:13 Hives - Walk Idiot Walk
2:29 Oasis - Wonderwall
2:40 Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
2:47 Korn - Freak on a Leash
2:57 Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby
3:09 George Michael - Faith
3:31 Green Day - Good Riddance

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) (2004)

I’m not the first one to include this song, and I’m not surprised. I don’t consider myself an Arcade Fire fanatic, but I’ve listened to them, and I love their music. Not necessarily everything, but their music is the kind that grows on you and stays in your head no matter what.

GEEZER

Direct Hit!, Buried Alive (2013)

I think Direct Hit! is one of the best punk bands in the world today. They make interesting music that is as melodic as it is intense, and the lyrics are weird but cohesive. This song is off their concept album "Brainless God" which is described as "a document of the final days of a world staring down total nuclear Armageddon," the album follows a serial killer and his would-be victim as the two escape a Satanic cult while trying to find truth and redemption before Armageddon." No, I'm not kidding. And yes, it totally works! Even better as a whole album than one song, but I feel like a broken record saying that. They even made it into a series of videos that documents the stories which is really interesting to watch. This is the album's best song, in my opinion.

JOHNERLE

Wolfmother, White Unicorn (2005)

The whole album is glorious tribute to 60s stadium rock, but this song is the clear highlight for me.

LEESTU

Augie March, One Crowded Hour (2006)

A very well-written song that in my opinion needs a few listens to grow on you before it can be fully appreciated. On a personal level it is one of the songs that my wife plays on guitar and I sing badly, so it’s a special song for us.

NSPAN

Ween, Booze Me Up and Get Me High (2013)

When it comes to Ween, it's not unusual for a non-studio-LP track to ascend to "audience favorite" status. This is one of those.

Also one of the most fun songs I've had the pleasure of singing along to at numerous Ween concerts. Disposable? Perhaps. A joy? For sure.

RON B

Beck, Colors (2017)

I was in the midst of finding as much electro pop as i could back in 2017, this was one of the highlights.

SCREEN203

Charli XCX Ft. Rita Ora, Doing It (2014)

There are few songs that instantly put me in a more positive mood. This is one of them. Released during the peak of Charli's popularity, this pop jam is a sugar rush of a song, with the Thelma And Louise inspired video akin to other pop classics.

SHRYKE

Colbie Caillat, Brighter Than the Sun (2011)

Occasionally the right airy, beachy pop song comes along, and you end up loving it even though you know you shouldn’t. I mean, music can’t always be about depression and heartbreak, right? Anyhoo, here’s hoping this song will leave you happier than when you started.

SIX

Lower, Craver (2012)

Not a band history will remember. Coming out of the excitement of Iceage, this Danish post-punk act showed so much promise with the early EP that this track comes from. It’s aggressive in its despair, and brilliantly noisy. It’s a shame their debut album sounded so softened, and failed to attract an audience, forcing them to quickly disband.

SURFER

Mannequin Pussy, Drunk II (2019)

The Philadelphia outfit returned last year with their third record, Patience, a stunning album that found them embracing the melodic side of their sound a little more, while still willing to thrash where necessary. The undoubted highlight of the record though was Drunk II, a bruising pop anthem addressing lead singer Missy's break-up. Opening up and displaying a vulnerability in her lyrics, the song deals with her descent into drink and excessive partying which she used as shield to the hurt before she announces 'I still love you, you stupid fuck!'. It's a fantastic song fuelled by emotion, and has me hitting repeat every time the song ends.

TRANSFORMERS

Behemoth, Daimonos (2009)

This is what I consider to be the single most extreme metal song on my list. Feel free to let me know the exact moment you decided to shut it off or felt compelled to get an exorcism performed at your home or workplace.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A very poppy 69

Chien: what an awful, awful song. What sort of tasteless individual would consider this to be one of the millennium's 100 best songs?
Geez: I'm afraid we're back to my usual this-sounds-like-every-other-generic-pop-punk-song note.
John: Though derivative, it's lots of fun, with some great riffs going on there.
Leetsu: Not for me. Too poppy. You chose this one to sing, though? Dude, that doesn't sound like an easy one. I would have stuck to a song by IDLES, or Protomartyr, or Sonic Youth, or the Sex Pistols!
NSpan: Fun song. Not sure what the lyrics are trying to tell me.
Ron B: This is Beck???? Is this a different Beck??? Very different, and a little dull. I must prefer his Devils Haircut era.
Screen: There's a lot of pop floating around today's choices, but this is actually the catchiest! Won't stay with me, but it was decent nonetheless.
Shryke: NO! Music should always be about depression and heartbreak. And drinking booze if you want something different. Breezy belongs to mountain hikes!!!
Six: Boy, am I glad I posted an aggressively noisy song to break up all this pop!
Surf: Great name for a band. I was expecting something more punk with a name like that. This was pleasant enough indie music.
Tranny: Okay, maybe a song can be too aggressively noisy. Bring back the pop!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

For the record, the blurb I sent to Shryke described Wolfmother as a tribute to 70s stadium rock, not 60s. Not sure how that happened.

Also, in my comment for Man Of The Hour, it was Shryke who added the laughing emoji. I just want to make clear that I was not laughing at my own joke.

Is this editorial interference into my artistic expression punishment for my Smithereens pick? :x*

* My emoji, and no one else's.

NOTE: I usually access the site from an open WiFi connection at work, but my posts are being blocked by some kind of Spamhaus blacklist. It looks like I can only post from my phone now, which is a royal pain. You might not hear much from me if this continues.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:32 pm
Surf: Great name for a band. I was expecting something more punk with a name like that. This was pleasant enough indie music.

Their earlier records are very punk, but a few songs like F.U.C.A.W, Clams and Cream still have that edge if that is what you are after. Check out the links below for a short burst of energy.
http://youtu.be/9V4vMrIzpW0
http://youtu.be/SjH6-ubwAGU

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm
For the record, the blurb I sent to Shryke described Wolfmother as a tribute to 70s stadium rock, not 60s. Not sure how that happened.

Actually, your blurb said "69s". I figured you meant 60s. Sorry I got it wrong!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm
[

Their earlier records are very punk, but a few songs like F.U.C.A.W, Clams and Cream still have that edge if that is what you are after. Check out the links below for a short burst of energy.
http://youtu.be/9V4vMrIzpW0
http://youtu.be/SjH6-ubwAGU
Now you're talking!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle - White Unicorn - definitely get the 70s rock anthem vibe. Think I heard a little Sabbath in those vocals.

Chien - Rebellion - Seems like just yesterday that I listened to this song! Oh, wait, it was... 7/10

Surfer - Drunk II - This was quite good? The guitar riffs kinda reminded me of The Pretenders' harder stuff, with Debbie Harry doing lead vocals. 7/10

Geezer - Buried Alive - I liked this, though if I hadn't read your blurb, I would have thought it was Blink 182 covering Panic at the Disco. Or vice versa. 6.5/10

Screen203 - Doing It - I quite enjoyed this, but it doesn't seem like the song I would enjoy after repeated listenings. 6.5/10

Ron B - Colors - This is so unlike Beck's early stuff it's scary. For me, E-Pro was the end of the me-liking-Beck era. It's funny, given how much electropop I like, but I can't get over the hump of Beck putting his own spin on it. 6/10

Leestu - One Crowded Hour - Pleasant enough I guess, but no part of it had me thinking about pressing the Repeat button. 6/10

Six - Craver - I liked the song by Low you had earlier, better. Oh, wait, it's not the same band?? Well, now I'm all discombobulated... 5/10

NSpan - Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw (Part 2) - Do not like Ween. At all. So not for me. 4/10

Transformers - Daimonos - Basically, what Six said. I survived the whole song, I'm proud to say. We should aim Behemoth at the Coronavirus. 4/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Great

Wolfmother, White Unicorn - love this album, so many great songs it's unlucky none made my list...probably due to the reverse of recency bias and just heard all the songs so much over the years

The Very Good

Lower, Craver - first listen...whoah, some great noisy guitar feedback there...are you sure the album is not worth it because I want to hear more...oh well, added the EP to my list then

Mannequin Pussy, Drunk II - top 100 album of the year for me...not sure this is my favourite from it though but it is up there

Direct Hit!, Buried Alive - first listen...well that description got my attention, I do enjoy a good concept album...cool song!...adding the album

Behemoth, Daimonos - first listen...well that was an intense experience...that rapid fire drumming was extreme

Ween, Booze Me Up and Get Me High - first listen...can't dislike this with lyrics like that...looks like it would be a great experience live in a crowd

The Okay

The Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) - heard it even more times now and it still refuses to click with me and be anything more than just okay indie rock

Colbie Caillat, Brighter Than the Sun - first listen...the positive vibe and upbeat music was okay...bit too country pop vocals for my taste

The Meh

Beck, Colors - this was a strange direction for Beck to take...been listening to whatever his kids listen to too much I think...Wow from this album sort of worked in a weird way though

The Rest

Charli XCX Ft. Rita Ora, Doing It - first listen...my mind drifted off and forgot the song while it was still playing...not many songs, even bad ones, can do that to me