Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #70-61

Post by Leestu »

That was challenging and a lot of fun.

The I Love It

System of a Down, Toxicity - I was tossing up between Tranny and Geezer here...the guess as this being mine was fair enough too...I love this song and this is one of three highlights from the album that I rank fairly evenly

The Avalanches, Frontier Psychiatrist - this had to be Ron's being such a huge cult hit in Australia...I honestly didn't think about it for this list because I've heard it so much but I probably would have had it on a list like this many years ago...such a fun song, they have an incredible, talented way of using samples throughout this whole album

Awesome

Editors, Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors - shame they haven't done anything else this great...fantastic song,,,but of course I went for the movie song for Chien

The Excellent

Life Without Buildings, The Leanover - being post-punk I was sure this was a Six pick...do yourself a favour and listen to the album, it might be a bit samish but it's all excellent samish...or at the very least check out this incredible live version of my favourite song of this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FACelOyWxc

The Very Good

Screaming Females, Electric Pilgrim - first listen...I was confident this was Surfer, a really well written song and female fronted rock, and I' was sure I've seen them before from one of Surfer's annual best lists.

Bat For Lashes - What's A Girl To Do? - first listen...I am sort of kicking myself here because I had either this or Editors for John, but I couldn't find a song for Nspan so it had to be this, leaving Editors for John...anyway I really liked the song, probably a little bit more than other Bat For Lashes I've heard who normally don't move me that much

The Good

Kendrick Lamar, “HUMBLE” - I would have picked Six here if Life Without Buildings wasn't on the table as I know he likes Kendrick...I like the music in this song, and I like the message but I don't like the way he says it (apart from a couple of great lines)...still good and you know what song it is as soon as it starts and you can't help but bop along

The Okay

Paramore, Misery Business - I thought this was Shryke's pick as soon as I saw the selection...I'm not so keen on it, it's a bit poppy for my rock, and try too hard edgy without offending (even if she has retired this song from their live sets because of a few "offfensive" lyrics) but I see the appeal

The Rest

Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross feat. Karen O, Immigrant Song - first listen...I love NIN, love Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Karen O, love Led Sep, and love cover versions, so imagine my surprise when I did not like this at all...I just want to hear the real thing now

Ariana Grande, Into You - first listen...no thank u, next

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 61 Thoughts

Chien, Editors - This was my first guess as I knew this could only be you! The first two Editors records are ok, definitely Interpol-lite, but there are a couple of great songs on there. This is not one of my favourites, but it's nice enough, and he does have a good voice.

Geezer, SOAD - I wasn't sure if this was you or Leestu, I thought it too obvious to be tranny. Brought back a little nostalgia from when this was first released, as I probably haven't listened to it in over a decade, but made up for that by listening to it three times! I like this one, not the best on the record, but it's good.

JohnErle, Bat For Lashes - I do like a bit of Natasha Khan, but not enough to make my cut. Again, this is a lovely song though.

Leestu, Cage The Elephant - Didn't really do anything for me, unfortunately. I'm sure I have seen you post about them before with better songs than this, so perhaps there is more to come?

Nspan, Life Without Buildings - Yeah, I'm sure I had heard you mention these guys before so this was an easy one. Not really listened to them before, and while it didn't blow me away, it was certainly decent enough.

Ron, The Avalanches - Argh! I thought this was six! It's weird enough with all its samples that I felt it would be one of his picks, but alas perhaps not. I really love this song though, and that record as a whole is fantastic. Great to hear it again after so long.

Screen, Atticus Ross and Karen O - Yeah, I fell into the Ariana Grande trap. Didn't guess this to be you at all, thought it may have been Shryke or Leestu, either as Shryke seems to love a cover or because Leestu strikes me as a Karen O fan. Didn't mind the song, just don't think it quite added enough beyond Karen O's yelping vocals to really distinguish itself from the original.

Shryke, Paramore - In hindsight it makes sense that this was your pick, it's a fairly successful radio hit and that has seemed to be the basis for you compiling your list. Does not appeal to me in the slightest however, just a Avril Lavigne wannabe (which in itself isn't saying much).

six, Kendrick Lamar - I think I was put off by your comments the other day as I know you like his work, but thought it would be coming up much, much later. Didn't appeal this time.

Tranny, Ariana Grande - Yeah, you got me hook, line and sinker. Didn't guess in the slightest it would be you. The looks I got from work when it came on though! Everyone was astounded I would listen to something like this! I would not, and won't be again. Just not interested in this at all.

That was lots of fun, anyway. Look forward to the next mystery round!!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

#70-61 recap
Chien:
70.Gorillaz-Feel Good Inc.
69.Arcade Fire-Rebellion (Lies)
68.Juilette-L'amour en solitaire
67.Alain Souchon-La vie ne vaut rein
66.Beirut-Postcards from Italy
65.Asaf Avidan-Reckoning Song (One Day)
64.Tom Rosenthal-Go Solo
63.Stromae-Tous les memes
62.Sigur Rios-Inni Mer Syngur Vitleysingur
61.Editors-Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors

Geezer:
70.Green Day-St. Jimmy
69.Direct Hit!-Buried Alive
68.Lucero-My Best Girl
67.Social Distortion-Don't Take Me for Granted
66.Jeff Rosenstock-Nausea
65.The Gaslight Anthem-45
64.Against Me!-Walking is Still Honest
63.Chumped-Eleanor
62.Off With Their Heads-Die Today
61.System of a Down-Toxicity

JohnErle:
70.Bloc Party-This Modern Love
69.Wolfmother-White Unicorn
68.Lightning Dust-Diamond
67.Arctic Monkeys-Fake Tales of San Francisco
66.Vampire Weekend-M79
65.Goldfrapp-Ooh La La
64.The Apparitions-God Monkey Robot
63.Neko Case-Hold On, Hold On
62.Belle & Sebastian-Your Cover's Blown
61.Bat for Lashes-What's a Girl to Do?

Leestu:
70.FILDAR-40 Oz. On Repeat
69.Augie March-One Crowded Hour
68.Thee Oh Sees-Static God
67.Pond-Don't Look at the Sun or You'll Go Blind
66.Eddy Current Suppression Ring-Gentleman
65.Faker-Hurricane
64.Hobo Johnson-Typical Story
63.Gold Connections-New Religion
62.Ben Folds-Rockin' the Suburbs
61.Cage the Elephant-Rubber Ball

Nspan:
70.Pillow Fight-Redemption
69.Ween-Booze Me Up and Get Me High
68.Phoenix-Napoleon Says
67.XTC-Wounded Horse
66.Spoon-Everything Hits at Once
65.The Rapture-Whoo Alright Yeah Uh Huh
64.The Bright Light Social Hour-Detroit
63.Moldy Peaches-Steak for Chicken
62.Gram Rabbit-Horses Can't Throw Up
61.Life Without Buildings-The Leanover

Ron B:
70.Bernard Fanning-Wish You Well
69.Beck-Colors
68.Future Islands-Seasons
67.Hilltop Hoods-Nosebleed Section
66.Rex Orange County-Loving is Easy
65.Red Hot Chili Peppers-Dani California
64.Holy Holy-Teach Me About Dying
63.The Killers-The Man
62.Kendrick Lamar-The Blacker The Berry
61.The Avalanches-Frontier Psychiatrist

Screen:
70.Meg Myers-Desire
69.Charli XCX-Doing It (feat. Rita Ora)
68.Chelsea Wolfe-16 Psyche
67.Cassie-Me and U
66.fun.-We Are Young (feat. Janelle Monae)
65.Disclosure-Help Me Lose My Mind (feat. London Grammer)
64.Chromeo-Jealous (I Ain't with It)
63.Ellie Goulding-Lights
62.Sophie Ellis-Baxter-Murder on the Dance Floor
61.Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross-Immigrant Song (feat. Karen O)

Shryke:
70.Fatboy Slim-Weapon of Choice
69.Colbie Caillat-Brighter Than the Sun
68.Green Day-American Idiot
67.Barenaked Ladies-Too Little Too Late
66.Peter Gabriel-Glowing Up
65.Erasure-Solsbury Hill
64.Eminem-Without Me
63.Disturbed-Stricken
62.Placebo-Running Up that Hill
61.Paramore-Misery Business

six:
70.Arcade Fire-Rebellion (Lies)
69.Lower-Craver
68.Big Thief-Not
67.Wilco-Radio Cure
66.Solange-Losing You
65.Idles-1049 Gotho
64.Hot Chip-Over and Over
63.David Lynch-I'm Waiting Here (feat. Lykki Li)
62.Modest Mouse-Float On
61.Kendrick Lamar-HUMBLE

surfer:
70.Liars-The Otherside of Mt. Heart Attack
69.Mannequin Pussy-Drunk II
68.Explosions in the Sky-The Birth and Death of the Day
67.Laura Maling-Salinas
66.The Mars Volta-Cygnus.. Vismund Cygnus
65.Ezra Furman-Suck the Blood From My Wound
64.Big Thief-Shark Smile
63.Battles-Atlas
62.Waxahatchee-Swan Dive
61.Screaming Females-Electric Pilgrim

transformers:
70.Queens of the Stone Age-Go with the Flow
69.Behemoth-Daimonos
68.Vince Staples-Big Fish (feat. Juicy J)
67.Every Time I Die-Partying is Such Sweet Sorrow
66.Lana Del Rey-California
65.Converge-Dark Horse
64.The Weeknd-House of Balloons/Glass Table Girls
63.Freddie Gibbs & Madlib-Harold's
62.Revocation-Pestilence Reigns
61.Ariana Grande-Into You
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

2 songs from my list appeared in this round. One you already know - Arcade Fire's Rebellion. And one other.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

My crossover total is up to 3 after this round, which is honestly just shocking.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Only 1 for me this round in my list (up to about 5 or 6 overall - haven't counted) but 3 other artists I have different songs coming up.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Frontier Psychiatrist – OMFG! I love this song but had completely forgotten it existed. Thank you so much for reminding me. And after googling it last night I realized the title comes from a sketch by Wayne & Shuster, a Canadian comedy duo who were very popular when I was a kid. I have no memory of the sketch, and no idea how the sample ended up in Australia 20 years later, but that's just another reason to love this song. I knew the Avalanches were Australian and remembered Leestu's comment about fun songs, so I went with him over RonB.

Editors – I don't remember this particular tune, but it's a little more anthemic and uplifting than the Editors I'm more familiar with. I briefly considered some of their stuff for my list. Nice choice. After eliminating the other potential suspects I figured this must have been Chien's.

Bat For Lashes – I suppose her quirky cuteness does make me like even more, but I'm almost certain I heard the song before I saw the video or had the slightest idea what she looked like. That's usually how I roll.

Life Without Buildings – I'd never heard of them, but their bio on Spotify used the term post-punk in the opening sentence so I assigned it to Six and moved on. My mistake. Now that we know Shryke is planning his mystery rounds when he sees a bunch of unlikely picks I won't make that mistake again, unless he pulls a switcheroo and uses a bunch of obvious choices. Cunning fiend!

My prognostication skills are apparently for shit, but I am glad my name came up as a possible owner for so many picks. I consider my tastes to be rather eclectic, so that unpredictability apparently comes through.

Not much to say about the rest. They ranged anywhere from okay to oh hell no!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

That was a fun round indeed.

I was hoping to do better, but only Six knows us that well, although I'm glad I didn't get his Kendrick wrong. And it confirms I'm definitely not a fan of Kendrick Lamar, this song didn't do much for me.

My favorites from this round were The Avalanches chosen by Ron and Bat for lashes chosen by John. That last one, I almost gave it to Six, and I almost gave The Avalanches to Leestu. I liked Leestu's song too. System of a Down, which I almost gave to Leestu, deifinitely not a fan either.

I was certain Ariana Grande would be from our Shrykester, dammit. Not my dope either.
Trent Raznor, yeah, alright, not bad. The rest didn't really have an impact on me.
Can't wait for the next mystery round !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 10:20 am
My crossover total is up to 3 after this round, which is honestly just shocking.

I have three as well, with a fourth coming up in the next thread. I'm stupefied by this.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 4:57 am
NSpan: Yeah, an easy one for me because I recall you mentioning them ages ago when I recommended that Rough Trade Shops Post-Punk compilation. Although for a moment I wondered if it was a JohnE pick. It's a superb song. i've yet to listen to the rest of this album but I will someday.
Haha, yeah, I told Patrick I knew you had my number
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Apart from the visible Arcade Fire crossover, nothing appeared from my list here.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Seemingly like everyone else, just the one crossover in this round and three overall with my list. Lots of good stuff though, and a few with songs on albums I also have picks from.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I haven't had any crossover songs yet. Doubt I'll have more than a handful in the entire countdown, and that includes my 150-101 as well.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

65, the thread is alive

TRANSFORMERS
Converge, Dark Horse (2009)
FL. This was very average for me but i didn't hate it. 4.5/10

SURFER
Ezra Furman, 'Suck The Blood From My Wound' (2018)
FL. A breath of fresh air compared to Tranny. But i couldn't quite give it a thumbs up. 5/10

SIX
Idles, 1049 Gotho (2017)
FL2. This was interesting, i got into it the 2nd time, Lyrics such as 'I pissed in the kitchen sink' resonate. So much energy! 6.5/10

SHRYKE
Erasure, Solsbury Hill (2003)
FL. This was so saccharine, while not bad, its not gonna float my boat. 3.5/10

SCREEN203
Disclosure ft. London Grammer, Help Me Lose My Mind (2013)
FL. This endless bunch of first listens is getting to me. This was not bad but didn't hit me. 4.5/10

NSPAN
The Rapture, Whoo Alright Yeah Uh Huh (2006)
Something i've heard before!? It a good track but just that. 6/10

LEESTU
Faker, Hurricane (2005)
Oww la la laa. I forgot about this song, mainly cause one of their other songs made me dislike this band. This was good. 6.5/10

JOHNERLE
Goldfrapp, Ooh La La (2005)
Ooh la la? Im getting repetitive now. Not a bad song at all Johnny boy, nice one. 6/10

GEEZER
The Gaslight Anthem, 45 (2012)
FL. Dammit, another song from you that i can say i passionately don't like. Its so cringey. 2.5/10

CHIEN
Asaf Avidan, Reckoning Song (One Day) (2008)
FL. Meh. Sorry. 4/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Catching up here:

Like It
Lightning Dust, Diamond (2013) (agree with how you described it)
Phoenix, Napoleon Says (2006) (I absolutely did not know this... but I liked it.)
Future Islands, Seasons (2014)
Big Thief, Not (2019) (Six I actually liked this, I just wish it wasn't quite so long. I obviously have a short musical attention span)

Love It
Green Day, American Idiot (2011) (They sang about a lot of stuff back in the day, and still do. And the musical, which I'd love to see, isn't just about 'this song' the American Idiot album is a cohesive rock opera (not unlike the Who's “Tommy”) The album tells a whole story and it is brilliantly done. This is still probably the best of the radio hits that came from the album, but I prefer most of the deep cuts more.)

Meh

Juliette Armanet, L’amour en solitaire (2017)
Thee Oh Sees, Static God (2017) (did you say they have TWENTY ALBUMS??? That is probably the most egregious violation to my five album rule I've ever heard!Hopefully they've significantly changed their sound along the way.)
Explosions In The Sky, 'The Birth And Death Of The Day' (2007)
Vince Staples feat. Juicy J, Big Fish (2017)

Loathe It
Chelsea Wolfe, 16 Psyche (2017)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude