Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #80-71

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

JohnErle wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 2:47 pm
I can see them fine, and now I'm dying to know why Banks chose that particular video. Love Little Shop Of Horrors!
Haha I was watching the Airport Sushi sketch from last night's SNL:

And out of all the Broadway songs, the only one I didn't recognize turned out to be Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop (I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid so I barely remember it). I just happened to have the video up on another tab.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

okay, the videos work for me now. David fixed it.

Here's what he said:

For older posts, it will not show up if you access it from https://forum.reelsociety.com, but will if you use http://forum.reelsociety.com (without SSL security).

I've updated the BBCode tag to use https for all links in the future (regardless of how it's entered), so any new post, or old post that is edited, should show up regardless. There may be a way to refresh the cache on old posts, but I'll have to test that out before I try it on the live site.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien - I was never a massive fan of Rice, but this song is definitely powerful.
John - The song was okay, but I certainly enjoyed the performance and Emmylou's reaction more.
Leetsu - Great song.
NSpan - For me, this song didn't really do anything different or better than the greats it apes
Ron B - Suroprising choice. I think In Rainbows is a very uneven album and this isn't one of the ones I liked, but it's okay
Screen - Tove Lo is cool but this didn't grabs me the way great pop should
Shryke - It's subdued but it works
Surf - Another surprising choice from a band I like. This is not a song I'd ever consider, and I'm more drawn to the heavier songs like The Lamb and Time is the Diamond, but every track on this underrated record is great!
Tranny - nice samples

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Haha I was watching the Airport Sushi sketch.
And out of all the Broadway songs, the only one I didn't recognize turned out to be Suddenly Seymour from Little Shop (I haven't seen the movie since I was a kid so I barely remember it). I just happened to have the video up on another tab.
I like Mulaney so I watched that and it was okay, but I was disappointed there wasn't a song called Suddenly Sushi.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A very mellow playlist today...and Geezer's pick!

The Very Good

Radiohead, 15 Step - Nice pick from an album with quite a few worthy songs on it...this is not my favourite from it but it is a really good opening track

The Redwalls, It's Alright - first listen...I would have sworn I was listening to a song straight from the late '60s. An era I do like and they seem to do it well here.

The Good

Red City Radio, In The Meantime - good, fun song!...made me smile listening to it

Exploded View, Orlando - surprising choice in terms of I didn't expect anyone else to have listened to Exploded View, but then again not a surprising choice coming from you in terms of the type of song it is...it's a good song, I like her voice, but I prefer the direction they went on Obey, their second album.

MF Doom, Hoe Cakes - one of the better songs from the album...lifted my mood after the Low song so that's good

Depeche Mode, When the Body Speaks - first listen...I feel like DM ran out of ideas in this millennium, so they no longer make fantastic innovative songs that excite me, but their talent means they don't make bad songs either

Low, Point Of Disgust - first listen...this has a sad beauty to it, but like most Low songs I've heard it's so depressing. They always bring me down

The Okay

First Aid Kit, Emmylou - first listen...at first I listened to this via the spotify playlist and didn't think much of it but then I watched the video, and this is why I love live music, their performance elevated this to more than just a dull country song. It emphasizes how great their voices and harmonies are...still not my sort of song though, but I appreciate it

The Meh

Damien Rice, The Blower’s Daughter - first listen I think, although my wife knew it once it started playing so maybe I've just forgotten it...it was nice enough but maybe too nice for my taste

Tove Lo, True Disaster - first listen...I like her attitude and I want to like her music because of it, but nothing I've heard from her lifts her pop over the majority of other pop

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I want David Byrne to provide the soundtrack for my life...

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Radiohead was okay, they generally go between brilliant and pretentious for me.
Not a fan of Exploded View, based on that song alone.
Like Depeche Mode's older music. Not too crazy about everything past the early 90's.
Not familiar with Damien Rice other than Blower's Daughter, but the song (and Closer) are both great.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 78

Chien, Damien Rice - A little too on the sentimental side for me, not quite in the James Blunt realms, but definitely something I would expect played at a wedding. Not really for me.

Geezer, Red City Radio - Again, all a little too familiar, nothing surprising at any moment and so I quickly lost interest.

Johnerle, First Aid Kit - I discovered these guys via a BBC Radio 6 play list, and it really is a lovely song. Their harmonising comes together so wonderfully, the tone is so well put together. Lovely to hear it again.

Leestu, The Flaming Lips - Great song, probably my favourite from Yoshimi, which in itself is a great record. Kind of life affirming really, Coyne captures the beauty of life in just 3 short minutes, and does so magnificently.

Nspan, The Redwalls - Yeah, it is kind of derivative, but I remember enjoying these guys when they first arrived on the scene so was nice to hear again for the first them in years.

Ron, Radiohead - I actually think In Rainbows is a quite beautiful album, with so many wonderful songs on it. This isn't my favourite, but it is still damn good and I love that riff.

Screen, Tove Lo - Just not for me.

Shryke, Depeche Mode - Yeah, we all know these guys have had their heyday, and their more recent output is not the innovative and groundbreaking music they first hit the scene with. But those vocals are still quite wonderful, so would never turn it off.

numbersix, Exploded View - First listen, was decent enough with some good drumming, but not enough for me to really want to seek out any more.

Tranny, MF Doom - Not really for me. Even the instrumentation wasn't doing anything to keep me interested.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Clara Luciani, La Grenade (2018)

Here comes another French song, quite recent, from a charismatic female singer singing the despise of men who think she can’t do the same as them. That bass and those strong lyrics make for a wonderful song.

Hey you, what are you lookin’ at?
Have you never seen a woman fighting?
Follow me in the gloomy city, and I’ll show you how I bite and bark
Beware, under my breast lies a grenade
Hey you, what are you thinking?
I’m just an animal disguised as a Madonna
I could hurt you
What are you imagining?
I’m just as ravenous and alive as you
Did you know that here lies under my breast a storm you can’t even fathom?

GEEZER

Jimmy Eat World, My Sundown (2001)

Okay let's slow things way down after those last three. This song is just absolutely beautiful. It is everything that I love about Jimmy Eat World. The closing track to an absolute banger of an album that really put JEW on the map. Man, I could just listen to this on a loop and zone out. They are such a versatile band that can make a lot of tempos and styles work, but my favorites are the ones where they really take their time, which I know, kinda goes against character for me. Enjoy the change of pace.

JOHNERLE

Santigold, L.E.S. Artistes (2008)

Seeing someone like Santigold reminds you how rare it is to see a young black artist defying expectations by not delivering R&B or hip-hop. And the fact that she does it so well is a bonus.

[youtube][/youtube]

LEESTU

Foals, What Went Down (2015)

This was quite a departure from what I was used to from Foals, and heavier, shouty, rockier Foals worked for me.

NSPAN

Kimya Dawson, Same Shit / Complicated (aka "Looking Out the Windshield) (2011)

Moldy Peaches alum Kimya Dawson continued writing and evolving her craft throughout her solo career. This track grew from a collaboration with Aesop Rock and the sincerity of the lyrics in this track may be a direct result.

RON B

Nine Inch Nails, Only (2005)

Maybe not the heaviest song by NIN, almost too poppy for them, but the synths and the cool bass mesh so well.

SCREEN203

Bleachers, Don't Take The Money (2017)

One of the greats of the early 2010s pop renaissance was and is Jack Antonoff of fun., who produced many other pop stars music in between fun. and his side project Bleachers. I was never a huge fan of the latter, but I have to make an exception for this one. Quirky and original, but not pretentious (which makes it sound like a Sundance premiere film that gets major backlash from the internet after its release, different mediums aside).

SHRYKE

Collective Soul, Better Now (2004)

The second of my two songs by this band. As I’ve stated before, for me Dosage is one of the greatest albums of all time, and while they petered out in the mid-aughts, they had enough of their original flavor in their album Youth that I went out and bought it. My wife and I attended their concert on their ensuing tour (the first concert we ever went to together – so yeah, this song is on this list for sentimental reasons). It’s an energetic song set to a Cars-ish grind, with a colorful layer of horns thrown in.

SIX

Portishead, The Rip (2008)

I kinda skipped over Portishead in the 90s and preferred the trip-hop of Massive Attack and Tricky. Last year this song was on an ad. An ad! Usually I hate the way ads use music to sell some crap, but this song captured me, and I ended up exploring Portishead’s last album Third. This is an incredible song, starting off as something folksy and wistful before transitioning into a work of magnificent Krautrock.

SURFER

Car Seat Headrest, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales (2016)

Will Toledo came into my life with this song, and from that point I literally canvassed the Internet in search of everything Car Seat Headrest. It paid off, Teens Of Denial and Teens of Style are phenomenal records, to which this belongs to the former. On this record, it is noticeable how much Toledo has increased the ambition of his project, from the greater sound mix (though still retaining that lo-fi bedroom pop sound) and the general greater ambition in terms of music. And it is on this song that he really pulls out all the stops. Dealing not only with a drink problem but also the abyss of depression he had fallen into, it is a powerful song sung with a real honesty to it. Heady stuff, but it manages to really make a connection.

TRANSFORMERS

Thank You Scientist, In the Company of Worms (2012)

Thank You Scientist first came on my radar when I saw them open for Coheed and Cambria in the fall of 2014. The way they incorporated jazz fusion, post-hardcore, math rock and pop rock elements into a traditional prog structure made for an enjoyable set that made me want to explore them further. When I went and listened to their record "Maps of Non-Existent Places" a couple days later, I ended up being blown away by the balance of off-the-charts technical musicianship and catchy melodies they brought to nearly every song. 2 great records later and I still feel that "In the Company of Worms" from that aforementioned LP is the most dazzling, earworm (no pun intended)-filled track these prog weirdos have ever recorded.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Catching up a bit...

Portishead was a last minute cut from my list. I would have picked Machine Gun, but The Rip is my second favourite track from Third.

Flight On The Concords - I never considered them for my list, but if I had it would have been Business Time, hands down. I also quite like Robots (The Humans Are Dead). For me, the songs were usually the weakest part of the show.

Oh Love - Borderline cheesy and kinda generic, but undeniably catchy. It's the sort of song I'll either grow to love or get sick of after 5-6 spins.

Kieza - That was solid dance music. It's worth another few spins.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: The bassline carried me through this fun song.
Geez: This WAS a surprise. Never knew this side of Jimmy Eat World. They sound like Snow Patrol!
John: Right back at ya: LES Artists almost made mine. Incredible track. One the indie kids and the pop kids could celebrate together.
Leetsu: I've mixed feelings about modern Foals and tracks like this. I like WWD's heaviness, but in making stadium-friendly alt rock they've lost what I loved about them - their ability to craft moving and complex songs with their mix of math rock and post-punk sensibilities. Occasionally there are faint glimmers of their original sound, but sadly it gets lost in what often feels bland to me. Everything they've done after Total Life Forever just doesn't work.
NSpan: Repetitive, but the earnestness of the lyrics captivated me.
Ron B: Didn't know NIN could be so funky. This was damn good.
Surf: Almost made my list. Possibly my favourite from Teens of Denial. Great track/s
Screen, Shryke, Tranny: didn't grab me

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm

John: Right back at ya: LES Artists almost made mine. Incredible track. One the indie kids and the pop kids could celebrate together.
Also us not-kids.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

CHIEN
Clara Luciani, La Grenade (2018)
Catchy and inspiring! Thanks for posting some lyrics, that definitely gave the song a bit more gravitas than the sound alone did.

GEEZER
Jimmy Eat World, My Sundown (2001)
Pleasant. And, yup, I enjoyed the change of pace.

JOHNERLE
Santigold, L.E.S. Artistes (2008)
Pretty good. I could definitely see this growing on me after a couple listens.

LEESTU
Foals, What Went Down (2015)
Cool but a bit on the long side.
(i generally don't have an issue with songs being "too long," so I'm not sure which way I'll go after a 2nd hearing)

RON B
Nine Inch Nails, Only (2005)
wow, a good NIN song I haven't heard (or don't remember hearing, at least). Fun stuff!

SCREEN203
Bleachers, Don't Take The Money (2017)
While being a bit too retro and anthemy for my tastes, i still enjoyed listening

SHRYKE
Collective Soul, Better Now (2004)
Catchy hook. I didn't know these guys kept on chooglin' in the 00s

SIX
Portishead, The Rip (2008)
Very pleasant. I liked it. And i liked it more when it picks up a bit

SURFER
Car Seat Headrest, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales (2016)
This grew on me as i continued listening. A second spin would probably sell me completely on it

TRANSFORMERS
Thank You Scientist, In the Company of Worms (2012)
Lots of cool sounds happening. I liked it quite a bit
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#77 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... vmvUhbSTcw

Not on (Australian) spotify: Santigold, L.E.S. Artistes, & Collective Soul, Better Now (but there is a llive version so I added that).

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Car Seat Headrest, Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales - Smash Mouth once said this was the best song of 2016, so it must be ;) - this lead to both bands agreeing to cover a song from each other. Smash Mouth covered a Car Seat Headrest song, Something Soon (it's actually a really well done cover), and Car Seat Headrest covered a Smash Mouth song, Fallen Horses.

The Excellent

Kimya Dawson, Same Shit / Complicated (aka "Looking Out the Windshield) - first listen...this was fantastic...great lyrics...I wonder how much influence Aesop Rock brought to it...I liked what little I heard of Moldy Peaches and I don't mind a bit of anti-folk...adding the album to my list

The Great

Nine Inch Nails, Only - great song!

The Good

Portishead, The Rip - I've heard this song quite a bit...I sort of like both parts individually but just not sure of it as a whole...but I am well aware of how highly regarded this song is, so that's just personal taste...I'll take anything from Dummy over this, but that album is currently on my all time top 100 albums

Jimmy Eat World, My Sundown - first listen...I liked this, and I reckon I would like it even more as an album closer...I was having an in depth discussion with my wife over the weekend about what makes a great album closer, and this ticks some of those boxes

Thank You Scientist, In the Company of Worms - first listen...interesting song that I feel like I need to hear more of to better judge, but my curiousity has been piqued for sure

Bleachers, Don't Take The Money - first listen...I like it...I am getting some retro '80s vibes with current pop sensibilities

Clara Luciani, La Grenade - first listen...good song...seems like empowering lyrics...thanks for a heads up to what the song is about

The Okay

Collective Soul, Better Now - first listen...I didn't get the Cars reference at first from the live version but when I watched the video as soon as it started I heard it...I preferred the live version tbh, had a decent guitar solo near the end and a cool sing along, but I usually love the live music element...I'm sure it would have been a great show, full of energy...the guitar riffs are a little bit too '80s hair band for my taste but I like the vocals

Santigold, L.E.S. Artistes - decent indie pop that I heard quite a bit on the radio, but it never really struck a chord with me