Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Elbow, Grounds for Divorce (2008)

I remember I first heard that song in the “Burn after reading” trailer. Listening to a song in English for me doesn’t always feel the same. There are songs I understand immediately, lyrics wise, so I perceive the full spectrum of the song quickly. But I don’t always understand what the lyrics are, even if I hear the words and understand them. I don’t know if this is clear. But this song, I clearly didn’t understand what it was about before actually reading the lyrics. It never prevented me from loving it immediately, but it’s always funny to love a song for years, and one day decide to read the lyrics to better understand it.

GEEZER

The Hold Steady, Sequestered in Memphis (2008)

I have to thank Surfer for this one. The man who first told me to check out the Hold Steady. You should be happy to note I'm still listening to them a whole lot to this day. Boys and Girls in America is a phenomenal album, front to back, but its this one from Stay Positive that I consider their best song. Thanks man, I really do appreciate you sharing the wealth on these guys, they are amazing.

JOHNERLE

Ida Maria, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked (2008)

If I have to explain why this is on my list, check your pulse.

LEESTU

Tame Impala, Elephant (2012)

Tame Impala are hit and miss for me, but every album has at least one great song on it. This is the highlight of the Lonerism album. Psychedelic rock with a blues rock influence.

NSPAN

Elf Power, Walking With the Beggar Boys (2004)

From Athens, GA (home of the B-52s and REM), Elf Power is a unique blend of pop and psychedelia. They're also part of the "Elephant Six Collective" which includes fellows acts such as Apples in Stereo, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Minders, and of Montreal.

RON B

DMA’s, Time & Money (2018)

Australia's answer to Oasis, I only say that because apparently they hate the DMA’s. No idea why, though.

SCREEN203

Miguel Feat. Travis Scott, Sky Walker (2017)

One of the best trends in recent music has been the return of atmospheric, psychedelic beats. The dream-like production certainly enhances what should have been a song of the summer.

SHRYKE

matchbox twenty, If You’re Gone (2000)

Another of my wife’s (and my) favorites. I know Rob Thomas doesn’t get much love nowadays, but I’ve always enjoyed his voice, and plenty of his songs still find their way onto my playlist when I’m in the right mood. (Geezer, this is for your wife too.)

SIX

Grimes, Realiti (2015)

Before she became the mother of Elon Musk’s child, Grimes established herself as a truly self-made, single-minded artist, someone unafraid to mix high and lowbrow art. It’s a model that is distinctly from the last 20 or so years, where artists could build an audience by themselves online, without the help of labels and the usual channels. Here she delivers something more mainstream, a euphoric pop song about overcoming sadness, and does it better than almost anyone else in the last 20 years.

SURFER

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow (2001)

Where will you find the likes of Jason Donovan and Jarvis Cocker dancing in the Eastern Bloc? Only in a Nick Cave video, obviously! Is this a song about Communism and the Cold War, or is it just about sitting under fifteen feet of coke? Who knows, but it makes fo[youtube][/youtube]r an intoxicating piece of music. Between the intricate piano line and the bombastic finish, this is an exhilarating listen.

TRANSFORMERS

Protest the Hero feat. Kayla Howran, Drumhead Trial (2013)

Bursting with energy and pure soaring spectacle, Protest the Hero treats every song like it's going to be their last. That go-for-broke attitude paired with their technical instrumentation and beautiful falsetto vocals has made them a long time favorite of mine that will be appearing several times on this list.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

FYI - I'll be posting #81 tomorrow, after which we may take a day or two off so everybody can catch up and catch our collective breaths. Can you believe that after tomorrow, we'll already have posted 220 songs?

Chien, Ron B, Screen, I have your #80, but nothing beyond that.

Geez, John, Surfer, Tranny, #81 is where the list ends as of this moment.

Get the next batch to me as soon as you can, guys.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Now it's Chien, John, and Geez working together to make a thematic trio. All 3 songs were on heavy rotation on my office radio in 2008.

Chien - love the riff. Really works.
Geez - this is a great song. Like a punkier Springsteen.
John - I had forgotten entirely about this song. A one-hit wonder perhaps? It's still lots of fun, even with my clothes on.
Leetsu - one of the Lame Impala songs I don't mind.
NSpan - nice, but didn't get under my skin.
Ron B - sounds more like Oz's answer to Coldplay to me.
Surf - I love this album. It's so under-rated. Might even be Nick's best. Fantastic song. There will be another from it coming up in my list in a few weeks.

The others didn't so a lot for me. Especially Matchbox 20!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:nspan - I mostly know Holly Golightly from her duet with Jack White at the end of Elephant. I think you may have posted a few of her other songs on here before too, not that I recall them. While you mention she can tackle any genre, this sounds like pretty much the same formula as the Jack White one, so while I bow to your judgement, this isn't really working with me for now. .
She used to do punk before getting into britpop before getting into anti-country

Here she is in her old band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyKCXAN7EyM
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

CHIEN
Elbow, Grounds for Divorce (2008)
I'm a native English-speaker, and I generally don't truly absorb/process lyrics until I see them in print. I had to look these up. It definitely adds a layer to appreciate on top of the catchy near-blues sound. Pretty good.

GEEZER
The Hold Steady, Sequestered in Memphis (2008)
I'm gonna have to revisit this to give it another try. I liked it, but I wasn't in love with how quickly it becomes an anthem. And, don't worry, if I end up not liking it: i'll blame Surfer

JOHNERLE
Ida Maria, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked (2008)
Love this type of music. Great song. Love the vocals.

LEESTU
Tame Impala, Elephant (2012)
Why haven't I heard this before? This rocks. Sounds a little bit like Jennifer Gentle (the band, not the song) mixed with Black Mountain

RON B
DMA’s, Time & Money (2018)
Very pleasant. No complaints here

SCREEN203
Miguel Feat. Travis Scott, Sky Walker (2017)
This would've fit nicely on the Spiderverse soundtrack (and, in my opinion, that's high praise)

SHRYKE
matchbox twenty, If You’re Gone (2000)
I was never into these guys... even in their heyday. This track was fine, but it's not changing my mind about the band overall

SIX
Grimes, Realiti (2015)
I just couldn't get into this one. Neither the vocals nor the beat had me groovin'

SURFER
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow (2001)
Great track. I keep trying to get into Nick Cave more deeply, but I still haven't become a superfan. I'mma keep trying

TRANSFORMERS
Protest the Hero feat. Kayla Howran, Drumhead Trial (2013)
Fun and sorta catchy. Not totally my style, though. Felt a little bit like At The Drive-In-LITE to me
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Grounds For Divorce - Interesting tune. May set that one aside and give it a few more listens. 6/10

Geezer - Sequestered in Memphis - Very nice. Got a real Elvis Costello vibe from this. Which is always good. 6.5/10

JohnErle - I Like You So Much Better... - No explanations necessary, John. 6.5/10

Leestu - Elephant - That was, like, really cool, man. I dug it. Far out. The colors, the colors... 7/10

NSpan - Walking With the Beggar Boys - Good little tune. Doubt I'll remember it. 5.5/10

Ron B - Time & Money - OMFG, this was amazing. Loved it. Will be looking into this group! This is my favorite new-to-me song so far! 9/10

Six - Realiti - Wondered when a Grimes song would show up on someone's list, but my money was on it being Screen. :lol: Liked this. (Note: if you love this but bash all my Erasure & PSB songs coming up, we're gonna have words...) 7.5/10

Surfer - 15 Feet of Pure White Snow - This was just okay for me. For a second his voice made me think I was listening to David Byrne, but I didn't care for the song. 5/10

Transformers - Drumhead Trial - At least I was able to understand most of it. 5.5/10

Screen203 - Sky Walker - Not for me. Though I love NSpan's comment. 4/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#82 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... PpmF-uZ36A

Missing: Ida Maria, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Leestu wrote:
Missing: Ida Maria, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
I just added it, but not sure if it'll show up for you. Luckily it's a pretty good video.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow - Nick Cave is a legend to me, my wife, and my eldest in our household. I have listened to every album of his from the Boys Next Door debut through to Ghosteen (except for Nocturama, and his live albums). This is probably my favourite from this album. Nick Cave will appear on my list sometime.

The Great

Elf Power, Walking With the Beggar Boys - first listen (I think)...I remember now hearing some Elf Power from one of our previous countdowns (not sure if this song was one of them) and liking it, planning to check them out more, but I never did...really liked this song, I got a bit of a T-Rex meets '70s The Who for some power pop from it. I am sure I wold be singing along to this after a few listens...think I'm going to add this album to my 'to listen to' list...some good music comes from Athens, GA.

Ida Maria, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked - I remember this song now...great catchy punkish indie rock, great vocals, and fun lyrics...thanks for the memory jog

The Very Good

Elbow, Grounds for Divorce - first listen...liked this indie rock with cool bluesy riffs...nice choice!

DMA’s, Time & Money - I really like DMoA'sis...three albums in now and they just keep churning out decent songs, and not just their singles, most of the album tracks could be singles too...they have also showed a progression from the very samey but great Oasis inspired debut to the improved and more varied song writing on their latest album......Delete, and Step Up The Morphine are my favourites but with so many good songs I'm not surprised people have different favourites...just saw them live for a second time...oh and I think one of the Gallagher brothers has now admitted he has heard them and said they are good

The Good

The Hold Steady, Sequestered in Memphis - first listen...not bad...enjoyable enough

Miguel Feat. Travis Scott, Sky Walker - not bad...I don't mind Miguel...he's a pretty decent singer

the Meh

Protest the Hero feat. Kayla Howran, Drumhead Trial - first listen...too much technical prowess at the expense of listenability...not keen on the hair metal type vocals

The Rest

Grimes, Realiti - I like a couple of songs from this album (Scream, and Kill V. Maim) but not this one

matchbox twenty, If You’re Gone - way too MOR, AOR, soft rock for me

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And we round out our second batch of ten. We will take a couple days to decompress, catch up, review, and resume again on Sunday (possibly Monday if I don't get over this fargin' cough.)

CHIEN

Clare Maguire, Elizabeth Taylor (2016)

My girlfriend is much more into new music than I am, probably because she has an hour of driving to go to work and listens to the radio on the way, while I walk to work and don’t listen to much music with headphones on because of ear problems I had a few years ago. Anyway. That’s a song she made me listen to. That happens sometimes, and most of the time, I don’t like what she listens to. I remember I thought this one was pretty good when I heard it. But it grew on me, I started to listen to it on my own, more and more, until I found it absolutely beautiful.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, Lookers (2017)

I am pretty sure this is the most recent track on the entire list, and it is my favorite song from the brilliant After the Party album (which had 3 other songs come VERY close to making this top 100 that fell just short). If you like this at all, definitely give the album a listen, especially if you're around the age of 30 and you don't know what the fuck to do with your life. They capture that feeling really brilliantly. Not sure any album has spoken to me in such a direct manner as this one from my second-favorite band. Make this list again in ten years and I bet this song goes way higher, but I did give bonus points for songs that have stuck with me for a lot of years.

JOHNERLE

School Of Language, Rockist Part 4 (2008)

Strictly speaking, this probably deserves to be ranked higher, but I'm still sticking to my loose one-hit wonder rule, plus Shryke is a strict task master (ETA: NO I'M NOT!!), so I have to send him something lest he chastise me again!

LEESTU

OutKast, Ms. Jackson (2000)

Fun lyrics with memorable repeatable one-liners, a chilled but catchy beat, and some interesting musical effects.

NSPAN

Galactic, The Moil (2003)

Dan the Automator + Galactic. This 2003 release marked the high-point for my favorite jazz-fusion band. Brining the Automator on to produce was a stroke of genius and resulted in a match made in heaven.

RON B

Rage Against the Machine, Renegades of Funk (2000)

This is one of the best songs to hold up for 20 years in my opinion, and it’s a cover!?

SCREEN203

The Killers, Somebody Told Me (2003)

I'm sure everyone's heard this before, so I'll keep this (relatively) brief. The guitar and synth in this song is very impressive, and lead to the highlight of The Killers' careers.

SHRYKE

Taxiride, Creepin’ Up Slowly (2002)

Not even sure when or where I heard this song for the first time, but somehow it’s stayed at the back of my head ever since. Their sound kind of reminds me of an Aussie Sugar Ray (yes, I used to like Sugar Ray, STFU). It’s got a cool, peppy beat, perfect for the party depicted in the video, and sometimes that’s really all you need to like a song. (I couldn’t find a version on YouTube with great sound quality, but here’s a decent live version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FrPZLcfSiq8

SIX

Kanye West, Monster (2010)

Remember when Kanye was liked by everyone? My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was hailed as a masterpiece, and rightly so. And this is an incredible song, as Kanye, Jay Z, Nicki Minaj (with a little outro from Bon Iver) rap about the dark side of fame with tongues in cheeks. Minaj’s is by far the best, being breathless and incredible.

SURFER

PJ Harvey, When Under Ether (2007)

For those paying attention, would I intentionally place a song by each of Nick Cave and PJ Harvey alongside one another? Why, of course I would! But beyond my little amusements, this was a big turning point for me in Polly Jean's career. As while all of her records have their own singular identity to them, each embracing a different style or genre, this was such a colossal shift from what she had been working on with Uh Huh Her and Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. Abandoning her guitar in favour of a soft pedal piano and adopting a falsetto vocal, I discovered a renewed tenderness in her work, a delicacy that would inspire despite its rather sombre lyrics. Taking inspiration from a TS Eliot poem and adapting it to a story of abortion, it is a powerful song despite its uncomplicated nature. And quite beautiful too.

TRANSFORMERS

August Burns Red, Broken Promises (2015)

Hearing this song for the first time was an oddly beautiful moment for me. "Broken Promises" is an absolutely flawless piece of progressive-tinged metalcore that features the type of confident, dynamic songwriting that August Burns Red had been steadily striving to achieve since their inception back in 2003 and for some bizarre reason, it warmed my heart that they had finally pulled it off.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Leetsu: This is good song, although I much prefer the upbeat Hey Ya.
NSpan: This started off like it was going nowhere but won me over. Love the drumming
Ron B: RATM had two good albums. This is not from either of them
Screen: Not bad, although I think they only had one great song, Mr Brightside.
Surf: Nice pick. Love how haunting she is throughout the album. I got to see her live around this phase and it was incredible. Superb album. And yes, I did notice the interesting placement beside Nick.

Rest weren't really my cup of tea.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The Killers - See my comments re: Take Me Out, Last Night, and Seven Nation Army.

Kanye West - I can assure you there was no point in human history where everyone liked Kanye.

Elf Power - I know I've heard them before and liked them but never dug deeper. This was a cool track.

Grounds For Divorce - This is the only Elbow song I've ever liked.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Elizabeth Taylor - Your GF has good taste, Chien. This was really nice. 6.5/10

Geezer - Lookers - Good enough song. Perfectly pleasant, didn't really find it special. 6/10

JohnErle - Rockist Part 4 - Didn't really do anything for me. 5/10

Leestu - Ms. Jackson - I had Hey Ya!, so obviously I like OutKast. This was a good choice. 7/10

NSpan - The Moil - Not too bad. Made me hark back to those funky riffs of the 70s with bands like Parliament. Good choice. 6/10

Ron B - Renegades of Funk - Never been a Rage fan, not starting now. 4/10

Screen203 - Somebody Told Me - My favorite Killers song (never liked Mr. Brightside). Great choice. 7.5/10

Six - Monster - Not EVERYONE, Six. I never liked him. Still don't. I liked the last two minutes much more than the first four, though. 4/10

Surfer - When Under Ether - Tried several times to get into it, but couldn't. 5.5/10

Transformers - Broken Promises - I really wish I was more into this genre, so my ear could discern between the good stuff and the bad stuff. But I'm not, so I'll stick to my boilerplate critique - liked the guitars, hated the vocals. 5/10

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I have a sneaking suspicion you'll develop a better sense of what's "good" and "bad" metal as we go along Shryke. Hell, you'll probably even discover how comparatively mild the bulk of the shit I've picked so far is :lol:

#90-81 recap
Chien:
90.Etienne Daho-Overture
89.Archive-Friend
88.Dark Rooms-I Get Overwhelmed
87.Robert Francis-Junebug
86.AaRON-Ludlow L
85.De Palmas-J'en reve encore
84.Phoenix-Lisztomania
83.Kaleo-Way Down We Go
82.Elbow-Grounds for Divorce
81.Clare Maguire-Elizabeth Taylor

Geezer:
90.Fall Out Boy-Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year
89.Arcade Fire-Wake Up
88.Green Day-Still Breathing
87.Modern Baseball-Your Graduation
86.Chumped-Something About Lemons
85.Against Me!-Transgender Dysphoria Blues
84.Lucero-Tears Don't Matter Much
83.Captain, We're Sinking-Montreal
82.The Hold Steady-Sequestered in Memphis
81.The Menzingers-Lookers

JohnErle:
90.Band of Horses-Detlef Schrempf
89.Seafood-Signal Sparks
88.Ocean Colour Scene-Go to Sea
87.Lilly Allen-LDN
86.Madrugada-The Lost Gospel
85.Cold War Kids-Something is Not Right with Me
84.The Features-Blow It Out
83.The New Pornographers-Failsafe
82.Ida Maria-I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
81.School of Language-Rockist Part 4

Leestu:
90.Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Maps
89.Spiritualized-Lord Can You Hear Me
88.The Strokes-Last Nite
87.LCD Soundsystem-Losing My Edge
86.The Walkmen-The Rat
85.Groudplove-Borderlines and Aliens
84.The National-Afraid of Everyone
83.Kurt Vile-Pretty Pimpin
82.Tame Impala-Elephant
81.Outkast-Ms. Jackson

NSpan:
90.Zoot Woman-Information First
89.Dan the Automator-It's Over Now
88.Eisley-Memories
87.Pillow Fight-I Work Hard
86.Clinic-Sunlight Bathes Our Home
85.DangerDoom-Old School Rules (feat. Talib Kweli)
84.Holly Golightly & The Breakoffs-Getting High for Jesus
83.Adam Green-We're Not Supposed to Be Lovers
82.Elf Power-Walking with the Beggar Boys
81.Galactic-The Moil

Ron B:
90.Post Malone-Sunflower (feat. Swae Lee)
89.Korn-Y'All Want a Single
88.Junior Senior-Move Your Feet
87.Franz Ferdinand-Take Me Out
86.Bloody Beetroots-Awesome (feat. The Cool Kids)
85.The Temper Trap-Sweet Disposition
84.Midnight Juggernauts-Into the Galaxy
83.The White Stripes-Seven Nation Army
82.DMA's-Time & Money
81.Rage Against the Machine-Renagades of Funk

Screen:
90.Bear Hands-2 AM
89.Disclosure-Defeated No More (feat. Edward McFarlane)
88.SHAED-Trampoline
87.La Roux-Uptight Downtown
86.Meg Myers-Jealous Sea
85.Rihanna-Woo (feat. Travis Scott)
84.CLiQ-Wavey (feat. Alika)
83.Disclosure-Omen (feat. Sam Smith)
82.Miguel-Sky Walker (feat. Travis Scott)
81.The Killers-Somebody Told Me

Shryke:
90.Capital Cities-Kangaroo Court
89.50 Cent-In Da Club
88.No Doubt-Hella Good
87.Breaking Benjamin-So Cold
86.Transplants-Diamonds and Guns
85.Disturbed-Prayer
84.Joe Satriani-San Francisco Blue
83.Mumford and Sons-Guiding Light
82.matchbox twenty-If You're Gone
81.Taxiride-Creepin' Up Slowly

Six:
90.Primal Scream-Exterminator
89.Doves-Ambition
88.Holly Herndon-Eternal
87.Frank Ocean-Pyramids
86.Mitski-Nobody
85.PVT-Crimson Swan
84.Low-Silver Rider
83.Parquet Courts-Almost Had to Start a Fight/In and Out of Patience
82.Grimes-Realiti
81.Kanye West-Monster (feat. Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj and Bon Iver)

Surfer:
90.Wild Flag-Romance
89.Benjamin Booker-Violent Shiver
88.Foals-Spanish Sahara
87.Meatbodies-Mountain
86.LCD Soundsystem-All My Friends
85.Animal Collective-My Girls
84.Flat Worms-'Red Hot Sand'
83.Eagulls-Nerve Endings
82.Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds-Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow
81.PJ Harvey-When Under Ether

Transformers:
90.The White Stripes-Black Math
89.Sturgill Simpson-All Around You
88.Drake-Hold On, We're Going Home (feat. Majid Jordan)
87.Intronaut-Fast Worms
86.Kendrick Lamar-Rigamortis
85.Battlecross-Push Pull Destroy
84.Between the Buried and Me-Bloom
83.Run the Jewels-Oh My Darling Don't Cry
82.Protest the Hero-Drumhead Trial (feat. Kayla Howran)
81.August Burns Red-Broken Promises
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »