Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Phoenix, Lisztomania (2009)

Here’s a French band singing almost exclusively in English again, I’d say it’s probable some French don’t even realize Phoenix is a French band. First time I heard Thomas Mars’ voice was when he sang “Playground” love for Air (a song I almost included in my list), although he is not credited under his real name. Anyway, Lisztomania is a song that has stuck with me for the past decade, there’s something simple, funky in Phoenix music.

GEEZER

Lucero, Tears Don't Matter Much (2003)

The second appearance of Lucero is this one, a tremendous show closer that is especially better live than recorded. One of their more uptempo songs. I never know how to describe Lucero. Its like punk attitude mixed with country mixed with old southern rock mixed with Nirvana. They have a lot of albums and countless songs. I hope you find something from them you enjoy as I continue to feature them.

JOHNERLE

The Features, Blow It Out (2005)

Vinyl is over-rated, but this loving tribute to vinyl is not.

LEESTU

The National, Afraid Of Everyone (2010)

A moving song, both lyrically and musically. His voice is so smooth. This comes from my favourite The National album which my wife and I listened to so much together that we sing along to all the songs (mainly the choruses for me but I wouldn’t be surprised if she knew every word to every song).

NSPAN

Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Getting High for Jesus (2008)

Holly Golightly put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. She's an amazing singer, songwriter, musician, and performer. And she can masterfully tackle ANY genre.

RON B

Midnight Juggernauts, Into the Galaxy (2007)

Love the sci-fi type synths, a pity though these guys more or less disappeared after their first album.

SCREEN203

CLiQ feat. Alika, Wavey (2017)

The (IMO) silver age of house we experienced during the 2010's seems to be over, but it left us one last gem - and CLiQ's only gem, seemingly - like some of the best dance artists, this is their only song (as far as I know.) While the lyrics aren't exactly complex, they are relevant to the rave scene, and the production is the most important part of house/dance music, and the heavy synth is easily the standout

SHRYKE

Joe Satriani, San Francisco Blue (2015)

Satch is my guitar god. While it's true no one can shred like ol' Joe, it's songs like this, when he dials it back and lets his softer, bluesier side show, that I love him the most. This song perfectly exemplifies that.

SIX

Low, Silver Rider (2005)

A few years ago, there would have been way more Low in my list. Maybe the 90s were their decade. Still, they had some great tracks since 2000, and at this moment in time this is my favourite. It’s one of their more sincere and beautiful songs, capturing how wonderful singers Alan and Mimi can harmonise.

SURFER

Flat Worms, 'Red Hot Sand' (2016)

Containing members of Ty Segall's band and Thee Oh Sees (as well as The Babies and Dream Boys), and finding a home on Castle Face Records, it is hardly surprising to find this feedback drenched, guitar squealing sonic avalanche as a nice pairing to their other projects. Yet the closer on Flat Worms' debut is astonishing. There's no hidden agenda here, the intention is to make as much noise as quickly as possible, and it sure does that, there's no deviation, no clever studio trickery, just in your face ear affrontery. It's a shattering, but ultimately thrilling listen. Play this one loud!

TRANSFORMERS

Between the Buried and Me, Bloom (2012)

Distilling the epic, sweeping tempo changes that define Between the Buried and Me's thoroughly unpredictable music into a condensed package (their songs are typically 8-13 minutes in length) is akin to watching a magic trick that you just can't quite believe. Bravo you beautiful bastards.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I still don't have Internet at home so I'm getting late on my reports and will do short as long as I'm only on my phone and it doesn't always work.

#90 :
My two favorite in this round are NSpan's Information First, veryfun song, and Shryke's Kangaroo court, very fun too, very cool Song. Not a fan of anything else really.

#89 :
My two highlights are Geezer's Wake up from Arcade Fire, uplifting ans whimsical song. And Six' Doves sont, something aerial ans melodic I really liked. Seafood from John and Benjamin Baker from Surfer were Nice too.

#88 :
The big highlight was the Foals sont choses by Surfer, didn't know that Song, I absolutely loved it. One my favorite discoveries so far. Some Nice stuff too chosen by John, Leestu, Ron, Screen ans Six.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up with round 87-85.

Chien
Robert Francis - Started off like it wanted to be a The National song. Then when it increased the tempo I just lost interest.
Aaron - Another new one, and thoroughly enjoyed.
De Palmas - Didn't really get anything from this.

Geezer
Modern Baseball - I know a little of these guys, and I like what I have heard so far. This was familiar to me and equally as good.
Chumped - Yes, I definitely get the connection, and it was, good. Prefer my pick though!
Against Me - I remember you introducing me to these guys way back when in our very first countdown and I have listened to a lot more of them since. Lyrics are very on the nose but are actually quite powerful. Not heard this song before but can see why you hold it so close to heart, very good stuff.

JohnErle
Lily Allen - My only issue with this is that it is so overplayed here in the UK that I can't really form an opinion on it. I guess her voice is fine and it has a nice sunny vibe to it, so would never turn it off.
Madrugada - New to me, but his voice is quite lovely. Think I may need to invest in this a little more.
Cold War Kids - I remember these guys breaking out in the mid 2000s with a couple of songs from Robbers and Cowards, one of which was Hang Me Out To Dry, which I much prefer to this. Kind of lost interest in the band after that first album, think it was for the best.

Leestu
LCD Soundsystem - Ha! There really is a lot of LCD Soundsystem on here. I'm sure we will have covered their back catalogue by the time we finish up. Another great song, which for some reason always reminds me of Talking Heads. And on my own pick, I will admit that between no.30 - 100 the songs on my countdown could be completely interchangeable depending on the moment. My absolute favourites probably have an added nostalgia or deep connection to me to rank so highly but really, these are our 100 favourite songs, which is pretty damn high acclaim in itself. Guess it will be popping up again very, very much later in the countdown, though. And I have watched Shut Up And Play The Hits and loved it, will definitely have to invest in Meet Me In The Bathroom though, sounds fascinating.
The Walkmen - This was literally the last song to be cut from my extended countdown. Bows and Arrows is a great record, though to be honest I could listen to anything by these guys. Glad to see they made a list.
Grouplove - Very 90s sound. Perhaps a little too derivative. Still was a fun blast of rock and wouldn't mind hearing some more.

Nspan
Pillow Fight - Nice beats, but otherwise not really for me.
Clinic - I remember growing up in Liverpool and these guys started to make waves as a local band. Initially I dismissed them thinking these guys were some kind of gimmick a la Slipknot with their outfits, but they are definitely not. Not listened to all of their work, but what I have is wildly wonderful, this included.
Danger Doom - Was the sample used in a Tarantino film? Certainly sounds like it, but yeah, was OK, nice little 70s vibe to it, didn't really pay much attention to the rapping, but otherwise was nice.

Ron
Franz Ferdinand - Listening to this again a few times recently, I really probably should have considered it for my own list a little more than I did. Great stuff.
Blood Beetroots - yeah, definitely not something I would ever listen to, and I can't see that changing any time soon.
The Temper Trap - A band I know of, yet didn't think I had ever heard them before. Until I knew I had as I know this song, and I have enjoyed it previously. Nice vocals and beat running through the whole thing.

Screen
La Roux - I have heard a song by her before from the mid 2000s, and I do actually really like her voice. Preferred that one to the one you have posted here, but would never turn this off.
Meg Myres - Not heard of her before but that was OK, didn't mind that at all and would happily listen again.
Rihanna - Yeah. No.

Shryke
Breaking Benjamin - Just not for me.
Transplants - I think I recall Transplants being announced as some kind of supergroup but never taking any effort to explore them. So never realised this was one of their songs. Has a very 90s vibe, so much so I thought this was a 90s song!
Disturbed - Was not a fan of these first time round. Still not. Think it's because it sounds like they are trying to bring an earnestness to a pretty typical metal sound, and it just doesn't really deserve it for me.

six
Frank Ocean - I do seem him pop up on a lot of end of year lists, but honestly, this did nothing for me.
Mitski - Freaking love her. Caught her not long after Bury Me At Makeout Creek was released in an intimate little gig in Manchester. This is bookended with catching her mesmerising, sexual performance at EOTR Festival last year, quite the transformation! Her sound has changed quite a lot over the years too. Still prefer her earlier stuff, but the song this record came from has gone way up in my estimations with multiple listens, a really great album. And this was undoubtedly the standout from the record too, so great pick!
PVT - Never heard of these before. Following your comments was really expecting this to go somewhere to follow its build up. Instead it just kind of collapsed in on itself and left me a little deflated. And then just before the end it feels like we are finally getting something. And then it ends.

transformers
Intronaut - Yeah, not for me.
Kendrick Lamar - Don't think anyone could ever suggest I was a hip hop fan, just the bare essentials of the genre, but while I have never quite gotten the acclaim this guy receives, this was really great.
Battlecross - Some cool guitars, can't do with the vocals. Seems to be a trend!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Try this one if you get a free minute, Surfer. Its actually my number 101.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Good song. Was going to be snarky and call them the Frnehc Vampire Weekend but just realised they've been around way longer than Vampire Weekend!
Geez: Not bad. The band they made me think of the most were The Replacements. Which is a very good thing
Leetsu: Great song from a great album. Love Sufjan's backing "woos"
NSpan: Yee-Haw!
Screen: I've been wavey many a time.
Surf: Good song. Don't know these guys but I wouldn't guessed they were on Castle Face Records

Others failed to grab me!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#84 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... msVGZKiPdQ

Missing: Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Getting High For Jesus

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Leestu - The Walkmen not bad, felt very 90's to me and that's not a bad thing at all! Good job.
Six - that Mitski song was at least one of your more digestable songs, to use your words, for sure.
Surfer - I sweart I jumped to 6 different spots in the song and it was always doing the exact. same. thing.
Tranny - I'm sorry but I can't even get to 30 seconds with Kendrick Lamar. I don't hate all rap, but his stuff is just not for me.

Other stuff was in the middle

And to Ron, I don't feel so bad about the "1's" knowing that all of your songs that would actually make your list don't even get 10's! You're an incredibly harsh grader! I had over 300 songs I'd rate a ten on my short list.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

JohnErle - There's some good in this, some bad in this, ultimately listenable enough. I finished it. Like the instrumentals.
Leestu - very similar to what I said to JohnErle, I had some elements I liked,some I didn't, but the instrumentals were great. I think I may explore this further. Definitely listened all the way through.
Ron - Three in a row that I liked! Well if you don't count NSpan's that I only lasted 30 seconds on. I first heard this in, you guessed it, a commercial. But it stuck with me and its a song I really really enjoy. Good pick.
Screen - turns out "experimental" Rihanna is even worse than "pop" Rihanna.
Shryke - I used to listen to Disturbed a lot. I loved their early stuff. I still think its not bad, but I'm not that into it anymore. I just think their songs all sound very similar, which is a trap I think A LOT of bands who find mainstream success fall into. They find what makes them money, and they cling to it. which is all well and good for maybe a couple albums, but it gets old. So its definitely not bad in a vacuum, it also doesn't make me want to break out my old Disturbed CDs either.
Six - Its almost impossible to get further away from a pleasurable sound than this, which I guess is an accomplishment.
Tranny - really good guitars until they start singing. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien - this has DEFINITELY been in a commercial. Distinctly identifiable. And I actually like it! Good pick, first time I've actually heard the whole thing, or known it was a French band.
JohnErle - I liked the music, hated the voice.
Leestu - I never know what to make of the National. I think they have some stuff I've sorta liked, but so much that I just don't. This fell into the later category.
NSpan - I can definitely see how this would be a fun show! Not exactly my thing, at least not this particular recording, but man, I bet I'd enjoy watching it performed after a few beers. I may just seek out what else they have to offer. Gotta love that song title too!'
Shryke - while I can understand the guitar brilliance, I just get bored when songs are nothing but instrumentals. always feels like I'm waiting for the real song to kick in.
Six - too slow for me, but at least it was pleasant sounding, at least compared to most of what you listen to.
Surfer - swing and a miss
Tranny - to each their own.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Lots of new songs for me today. Only one that I had heard before.

The Excellent

Flat Worms, Red Hot Sand - first listen...how have I not come across this band before considering how much of Ty Segall (and associated acts) and Oh Sees I have listened to?...this is fantastic...a great sound and an instantly likeable tune...the first song of this project where I have added the album to my never ending, always growing, 'to listen to' list. I might go back later and add a couple of others but for now this one is a must.

The Great

Between the Buried and Me, Bloom - first listen...wow, this kept me on my toes...did not expect a slide whistle for example...lots to listen to and keep me interested, much like Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa, but in a prog metal setting instead

The Very Good

Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs, Getting High for Jesus - first listen...upbeat country with a good mood vibe...gotta love those lyrics

The Good

Lucero, Tears Don't Matter Much - first listen...I really like his voice...like Six it reminds me of The Replacements too...I've listened to their self titled album a bit but not much else so it's good to hear a bit more from them

Phoenix, Lisztomania - Phoenix got quite a bit of hype and popularity here for a while but I didn't really get why...I do like the touch of quirkiness to this song though

Low, Silver Rider - first listen...usually I find Low albums too slow and depressing but in small doses I like them (especially their awesome The Smiths cover)...I did like this though, it didn't bring me down at all, and the two singers sounded good together.

The Okay

Joe Satriani, San Francisco Blue - first listen...I didn't get bored at all, in fact I was enjoying this until it ended and I realised it just sounded like an intro to a song...I guess I wanted it to go somewhere more?

The Features, Blow It Out - first listen...not sure about the 'happy if you know it clap your hands' tune...makes it hard to take seriously...but apart from that
it's okay

Midnight Juggernauts, Into the Galaxy - first listen...I didn't think I was going to like this at first but then those vocals came in and I like the way they sound, even if to my mind they clash a bit with the trebley electropop music

The Meh

CLiQ feat. Alika, Wavey - first listen...this type of house/dance music needs to be really special for me to like it...while not bad, this sounds like many others to my inexperienced in the genre ears

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote: Six - Its almost impossible to get further away from a pleasurable sound than this, which I guess is an accomplishment.
Challenge accepted :D

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just throwing out a suggestion... would everyone like it if, after every 20 songs or so, we take a day or two off so we can catch our breath, catch up with our listening, and have a little extra time to send our next batch of songs? There's no rule that says we can't a day off every now and then.

Let me know.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah that works for me.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm down for a break every now and then.

Round 84

Chien - Phoenix are one of those bands that I kind of know, but without ever truly feeling the need to explore further than their singles. This was good, not my favourite of theirs, but it has a really good vibe to it. Vampire Weekend do have a similar sound I guess and I love them, so maybe I should pay a little more attention!

Geezer - Before listening, your comments instantly made me think of Meat Puppets. Didn't really hear much of that though. However, I do get The Replacements nods that six and Leestu have remarked on, and this was OK. Heard a few Lucero songs you have posted over the years and this is one of the best. Let's hope they keep getting better.

johnerle - Yeah, as Leestu mentioned, the constant 'happy if your know it clap your hands' completely took me out of the song, and wasn't a fan of the vocals at all either.

Leestu - Didn't consider this for my countdown, but hearing it again reminded me that I do really love this song, so glad to see it make an appearance.

nspan - I mostly know Holly Golightly from her duet with Jack White at the end of Elephant. I think you may have posted a few of her other songs on here before too, not that I recall them. While you mention she can tackle any genre, this sounds like pretty much the same formula as the Jack White one, so while I bow to your judgement, this isn't really working with me for now.

Ron - Lots of synths. Kind of reminded me of Metromomy. Not bad.

screen Didn't get very wavvy, sorry. Not really for me.

Shryke - Think I have commented on Satriani's stuff before on here, and the same applies here. He is technically a very good guitarist, I just don't think he has the ability to really write a song that works for me.

six - Silver Rider was definitely on my shortlist for this countdown, a really lovely song. Catching them at a festival last year was one of the highlights of my year. While this style of song has mostly disappeared from their music now, it was a fascinating experience to witness, so much feedback and atmospherics that blurred into moments of true beauty.

Tranny - I have heard quite a few of this band over the years thanks to you. I think I even downloaded one of their records though can't say I have really ever been in the mood to listen to the whole thing. This was not really what I remembered from listening previously though. They DO have a lot going on in the song, just not sure it ever really all comes together. Just because you can throw everything and the kitchen sink at a song doesn't mean you should.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Lisztomania - Catchy little tune. Liked it. 6/10

Geezer - Tears Don't Matter Much - Really liked this. Had a real 90s feel, like it would have been right at home on a playlist with Offspring, Cracker, and Everclear back in the day. Good choice. 7.5/10

JohnErle - Blow It Out - This was so much FUN! Reminiscent of The Buggles! 7/10

Leestu - Afraid of Everyone - Wow, his voice IS smooth. Almost on a Bryan Ferry level! Great song. 7/10

NSpan - Gettin' High For Jeebus - Sorry, not for me. 3/10

Ron B - Into the Galaxy - Loved the synths, but the vocalist sounded like he was trying too damn hard to pull off a Bowie voice. 6/10

Screen203 - Wavey - Didn't like it. It seemed to rely a bit too much on a chorus that tries to pass itself off as a clever lyric, but it really isn't. 3.5/10

Six - Silver Rider - I liked this more than I probably should. Maybe you caught me in the right mood. :D 6/10

Surfer - Red Hot Sand - LOVED the guitars, which somehow reminded me of The Ramones. Did not care for the vocals, though. 6/10

Transformers - Bloom - There were several points of this song when I would have sworn I was listening to Faith No More. The rest of it was a mixed bag for me. 6/10