Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by Shrykespeare »

Onto our second thread!

CHIEN

Etienne Daho, Ouverture (2000)

Etienne Daho. No idea if he is known outside France, maybe in England, not even sure. He’s been around here since the 80’s with some of the best French pop songs of the 80’s and 90’s. His 2000 album, “Corps et armes”, features two of my favorite songs of this decade, and this is one of them, "Opening", enigmatic and poetic, you’ll hear the other one in a few days.

GEEZER

Fall Out Boy, Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year (2005)

I don't expect this to go over well with the group, but this is one of my favorite songs off one of my favorite albums of all time. It brings back memories of late high school/early college for me and From Under the Cork Tree was probably my most listened to album of 2005/6. I loved it, and while I don't play it nearly as much, I still revisit it from time to time when I'm feeling nostalgic. I'll see this band for the first time this coming August, with Weezer and Green Day. I hope they play some stuff from the old days.

JOHNERLE

Band of Horses, Detlef Schrempf (2007)

For a time during this millennium there were three bands who sounded so similar I referred to them collectively as My Morning Band Of Fleet Foxes. Of the three, Band Of Horses seemed the most derivative and least essential, making them the Stone Temple Pilots of this trio. Their best stuff holds up well, though.

Also: The Great Salt Lake, Is There A Ghost?

LEESTU

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2004)

Released as a single in 2004 from their 2003 debut album Fever To Tell, which is easily their best album and is full of great songs, but none as great as this. Mine, and I’m sure many others, favourite Yeah Yeah Yeahs song. The music rocks, and balances with Karen O’s emotional vocals in a special way.

NSPAN

Zoot Woman, Information First (2001)

Kraftwerk-inspired, electro-infused pop. Fun stuff!

RON B

Post Malone feat. Swae Lee, Sunflower (2018)

It really pains me to put a Post Malone song on this list. And whats more, I don’t even know who Swae Lee is. But it is a very VERY rare occasion that I hear a song from a movie I hadn't seen, which blows up, and I feel 'left in the dust'. I remember reading somewhere Post Malone is a culture vulture, but this song is so damn catchy and it appeals to all ages as far as I know. The movie it’s from ain’t bad either.

SCREEN203

Bear Hands, 2AM (2016)

I can't necessarily say I have experienced the kind of disillusion described in this song, but the song (as well as the video) is very good at displaying aging out of the prime age for debauchery, but still being caught in the college-party mindset. By the end of the song, I felt as if age has caught up with me, as if I was dreading the hangover to come the morning after, when adult responsibilities kick in.

SHRYKE

Capital Cities, Kangaroo Court (2012)

This is one of the gems I discovered during my recent four-month music blitz. While better known for their hit “Safe and Sound”, I much prefer this one. The upbeat tempo, rat-a-tat synth, cool lyrics were what drew my attention, but then the horns kicked in, and I was like YES!! I love songs that use brass instruments to perfection, and this one definitely does. I chose this video over the actual video (which is kind of weird) because of the sound quality, but if you like the songs, check it out.

SIX

Primal Scream, Exterminator (2000)

Primal Scream turned into musical chameleons. Embracing baggy and Stones-like rock in the 90s, they then got way more interesting, with the concept album Vanishing Point and then their 2000 record Xtrmntr. The latter is an underappreciated landmark in the emerging post-punk revival, and the sort-of title track is a furious mix of electro and punk.

SURFER

Wild Flag, Romance (2011)

Take two thirds of Sleater-Kinney, add a little Mary Timony and you get Wild Flag, a band who were a perfect marriage of what had come before from their respective acts whilst offering something new and exciting along the way. Brownstein and Timony reign in the guitar-hero theatrics, Weiss keeps her drums dancing around the central stomp, and Rebecca Cole's gleeful organ-jabs lend some B-52's bounce to the whole enterprise. Tight as anything, it was a shame the band never explored their sound any further than their self titled debut (though the pay off of more Sleater-Kinney and Ex Hex certainly made up for it), but the opening salvo from that record will forever be in my heart.

TRANSFORMERS

The White Stripes, Black Math (2003)

On everything from his work with The Raconteurs to his recent solo material, Jack White's inconsistency has always managed to bug me. Despite the frustration that often comes with listening to his projects, his output when he hits is incredible. This noisy little ditty from The White Stripes' fourth record Elephant features plenty of the raw bluesy riffing, catchy vocal melodies and relentless energy that is at the center of all of White's finest creations.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by NSpan »

Apologies for the brevity of my responses (I'm supposed to be working)... but i listened to every song from start to finish

CHIEN Etienne Daho, Ouverture (2000)
I sort of see the appeal... but it's just not for me.

GEEZER Fall Out Boy, Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year (2005)
Surprisingly, I don't hate this.

JOHNERLE Band of Horses, Detlef Schrempf (2007)
Nice and pleasant.

LEESTU Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2004)
Fuck yeah! Love this band, love this song

RON B Post Malone feat. Swae Lee, Sunflower (2018)
Fuck yeah! Spiderverse introduced me to this, and I totally adore it

SCREEN203 Bear Hands, 2AM (2016)
Oof. Hits pretty close to home. Cool song.

SHRYKE Capital Cities, Kangaroo Court (2012)
I really liked this. Cool rhythm to it.

SIX Primal Scream, Exterminator (2000)
I dug it.

SURFER Wild Flag, Romance (2011)
Very cool.

TRANSFORMERS The White Stripes, Black Math (2003)
I'm all Jack White'd out these days, but this is a good track
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Ouverture - Not bad. 6/10

Geezer - Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year - I like quite a few FOB songs. Immortals just missed the list. This one didn't really resonate. 5.5/10

JohnErle - Wasn't Detlef Schrempf an NBA player? With the Mavericks? Why did they name a song after him? Anyway, the song was nice. Just...nice. 6/10

Leestu - Maps - I'm sure I'm not the first to notice that her voice is VERY similar to Chrissy Hynde's. Which is a good thing, Nice choice. 7/10

NSpan - Information First - Dude, you had me at Kraftwerk, though I'm getting a PSB vibe from them too. Excellent song. 7.5/10

Ron B - Sunflower - First, Swae Lee is the rapper. Second, I've heard this before, and I quite like it. 7/10

Screen203 - 2AM - You'll get there, Screen. The rest of us are already there. Don't stop being 17. Heard this before. Love it. 8.5/10

Six - Exterminator - Wow, Primal Scream! I remember loving their song "Rocks" back in the 90s! This had a really funky, cool vibe. Nice! 7.5/10

Surfer - Romance - Not bad at all 6/10

Transformers - Black Math - This is what I expect from a Jack White song. Definitely reminiscent of "Fell In Love With a Girl" (but it bears repeating). 7/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien - liked the strings element of this
John - I stopped listening to them after a while, but this was decent
Leetsu - beautiful song. The love song of the noughties!
NSpan - Kraftwerk+electro-pop= New Order! Which is who I thought of when listening to this. Nice.
Ron B - Ah, the much maligned Post Malone. I preferred Pre Malone personally. This was pleasant enough
Shryke - This was quite fun. Very decent pick indeed!
Surf - I much prefer this over the last 2 Sleater-Kinney songs, but much less than their previous 2
Tranny - Excellent song. One of the highlights of Elephant.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A lot I hadn't heard before today...

The Awesome

The White Stripes, Black Math - one of my favourite album tracks from probably my favourite The White Stripes album

The Very Good

Primal Scream, Exterminator - I think this is a well respected album, it's Evil Heat that's the underrated album and deserves more love, even if it is a little bit XTRMNTR part 2 but even more full on...this track is not my favourite from the album but still a good one

The Good

Etienne Daho, Ouverture - first listen...by the second listen I was getting the appeal...a bit of a cinematic feel without being over the top

Band of Horses, Detlef Schrempf - first listen...not bad for a My Morning Band Of Fleet Foxes song :lol: whose music I mostly find a bit bland...nice clean vocal accoustics

Wild Flag, Romance - first listen...enjoyable enough

Bear Hands, 2AM - first listen...a bit of a dated sound, like a late britpop vibe, but I liked it...relatable lyrics (sadly maybe too relatable ;) )

The Okay

Post Malone feat. Swae Lee, Sunflower - two of my kids listen to Postie a lot so I've heard a fair bit of him...damn he has a talent for churning out these instantly familiar, catchy, singalong songs...I actually think this is one of his weaker songs though

Capital Cities, Kangaroo Court - first listen...just enough quirkiness to keep my interest, not enough to really like it...could have done with more horns maybe

Zoot Woman, Information First - first listen...I liked it, but I wanted something more, not sure what exactly, something I can't put my finger on right now

The Meh

Fall Out Boy, Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year - first listen...I wouldn't mind seeing that tour, but I've already seen Green Day live twice, and Weezer once, and don't care about Fall Out Boy...plus I imagine it'll be a bit pricey here

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Its kind of amazing the amount of songs i haven't heard which you all find top 100 material, shows the diversity in taste.

CHIEN, Etienne Daho, Ouverture (2000)
I tried twice. It didnt give me any wow factor. Dont you think the first few seconds of strings- sounds a bit like Massive Attack? FL. 3.5/10

GEEZER, Fall Out Boy, Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year (2005)
If you met my old mate, you two would get along like a house on fire. He loves your type of music. This one isnt for me, but i don't dislike some of their other tracks. 3/10

JOHNERLE, Band of Horses, Detlef Schrempf (2007)
I had the same thought like Shryke! Except, i know he played for Seattle and the Pacers, i used to be a basketball card collector (like many, except i had very little money being a kid) and my mother being German, i had a biased interest in this player i never got to watch. Basketball is my favourite sport. But yeah, not sure how the lyrics connect. You may have noticed i had one of Band of Horses songs on my list, this one is still decent. FL. 5.5/10

LEESTU, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2004)
I so close to putting this song on my list, is it their best song? Maybe. Man, i think you will win the most popular choice award, some nice songs you've picked so far. 8/10

NSPAN, Zoot Woman, Information First (2001)
As a friend of mine used to say, Dick Yeah! This was a nice change up, i liked it. FL. 6.5/10

SCREEN203, Bear Hands, 2AM (2016)
It was ok. FL. 4.5/10

SHRYKE, Capital Cities, Kangaroo Court (2012)
Liked it. Maybe alot. Hard to say with only a couple of listens. Nice find! FL2. 6/10

SIX, Primal Scream, Exterminator (2000)
I not sure about this band, only heard a few songs of theirs. This song sounds dated. FL2. 3/10

SURFER, Wild Flag, Romance (2011)
Not bad. FL 5/10

TRANSFORMERS, The White Stripes, Black Math (2003) 6/10
I grew tired of Jack long ago, but then somehow, a few years ago, i started to like some of their stuff alot more. This is pretty good. 6/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm out of Internet at home, it's been this way for the last 2 days, and it should not be repaired before friday, so I'm gonna be late in my listenings...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Archive, Friend (2003)

I’ve had my Archive period. “Friend” is a song I discovered in a very bad film, “Michel Vaillant”, so sometimes, there’s some good coming out of the bad. Not always. But this song has a feel-good effect on me, even though it doesn’t really feel that way when you listen to the lyrics. But music has mysterious ways, what can I say.

GEEZER

The Arcade Fire, Wake Up (2004)

This IS the Arcade Fire Song that made my list. Its a beautiful epic track that I'm sure everyone here has heard. I assume its going to be one of my more popular songs among the group, but hey, what do I know, maybe you all hate this one.

JOHNERLE

Seafood, Signal Sparks (2006)

The obvious comparison is Joshua Tree-era U2, minus Bono's colossal ego. And the song is extra poignant because the singer nearly died from a collapsed lung a few years before writing this.

LEESTU

Spiritualized, Lord Can You Hear Me (2001)

Before he formed Spiritualized Jason Pierce used to be in Spacemen 3, who were one of my favourite bands of the late 80’s. On Spiritualized’s fourth album Let It Come Down (one of their best albums…just below Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space) Jason closes the album by returning to his Spacemen 3 roots and revamping one of his own songs from back then. It mixes space rock and gospel in a sad, desperate, plea for help.

NSPAN

Dan the Automator, It's Over Now (2000)

Dan the Automator + Kool Keith. You really can't go wrong with this producer/rapper combo.

RON B

Korn, Y'All Want a Single (2003)

I guess this a guilty pleasure, i don't think they have aged very well, there was a time when i reallyl iked this song so the memories plus the riffs and hooks get me.

SCREEN203

Disclosure ft. Edward MacFarlane, Defeated No More (2013)

My personal Anias Mitchell (Disclosure) returns with the second of 9 songs on my list. As always with Disclosure, the featured artist vocals complement the synth-beat (which is the highlight of their songs). I understand the common criticism that it sounds very similar to "January", though.

SHRYKE

50 Cent, In Da Club (2003)

I loathe most rap, especially gangsta rap, and especially especially gangsta rap that’s basically boasting about how the singer is now rich and can get all the girls he’s entitled to. (Or maybe I’m missing something… maybe there’s a deep, philosophical thing in this song that I’m just missing… nah). Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. This song…the beat is so catchy that I can ignore the arrogance of the lyrics. And what’s cool about this video is that it includes a snippet of another video that will appear later on my list!

SIX

Doves, Ambition (2005)

I was never a huge fan of Doves, though always loved Jez Williams’s soulful voice. And this song is his best showcase, taking centre stage with the melancholic doo-wop music gently carrying him along.

SURFER

Benjamin Booker, Violent Shiver (2014)

Sometimes an act are sprung upon you and take you completely by surprise. I remember this being the case with Benjamin Booker, who I discovered when just casually watching an episode of Later... With Jools Holland. A raucous blast of blues and rock quickly followed a moment of silence, and I was entranced by this little figure with such an energy about him. His rasped vocals and ragged guitar kept me glued to the screen, and immediately following this performance I had to find out who this guy was. Next day I bought his record, and it's an equally excellent piece of work. This song opens the record and sets the stall for what is to come, and has been on repeat in our household ever since.

TRANSFORMERS

Sturgill Simpson, All Around You (2016)

Country is a genre I grew up on. Just about all of my earliest exposure to music came through listening to the artists (Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Toby Keith) my parents had on heavy rotation during the late 90's/early 00's. Once I reached middle school, I promptly developed a disdain for the genre that remains in tact to this day. About 4 years ago, one of my best friends suggested I check out Sturgill Simpson's music despite knowing full well that country made my stomach turn. He told me that Simpson wasn't like any country artist I'd heard in the past and as skeptical I was, I reluctantly checked out his newest record at that time (A Sailor's Guide to Earth) a week or two later. Within a few songs, I completely agreed with his assessment. Simpson had an experimental streak that was unlike anything I'd ever come across in country and his raw. powerful vocal delivery brought an incredible amount of emotion to the fold. This track particularly impressed me with its ability to incorporate saxophones and horns alongside traditional country vocals/guitars to make something bold, soulful and completely unique.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geez - great song, still retains its power and its 15 years old
John - nice, remindeed me of Weezer or a poppier Pavement
Leetsu - great song. Think I prefer the original but this is good. Their guitarist opened up a record store with my mate, and it's down the street from me. Small world.
NSpan - was going to say this was very 90s, then realised it's from 2000. Cool vibes on this.
Shryke - Catchy tune.
Surfer - I remember everyone raving about him recently. He's pretty decent.

Others didn't resonate with me, particularly Korn
Last edited by numbersix on February 12th, 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

CHIEN
Archive, Friend (2003)
I notice that a lot of your tracks have a long, slow buildup and a crescendo. I usually dig that in psychedelia, though in pop sometimes it can occasionally come off as quasi-inspirational or even melodramatic. I don't think this particular track suffers for it, but I think I'm formulating why a couple of your picks haven't totally clicked with me. Anyways, i dug this song.

GEEZER
The Arcade Fire, Wake Up (2004)
Reminds me of a trailer for an early-2000s indie movie. Not in a bad way. I was into it.

JOHNERLE
Seafood, Signal Sparks (2006)
I hate U2, but I liked this. (Maybe I just hate Bono.)

LEESTU
Spiritualized, Lord Can You Hear Me (2001)
I went into this thinking I'd be blown away. I ended up only being SLIGHTLY windblown. The gospel-sound sometimes works for me, sometimes doesn't.

RON B
Korn, Y'All Want a Single (2003)
This wasn't as unbearable as I expected... but I still disliked it. Sorry!! Just not my jam

SCREEN203
Disclosure ft. Edward MacFarlane, Defeated No More (2013)
I suppose we ALL have our own Anais Mitchell in some small way. Pretty cool track. Interested to hear the others.

SHRYKE
50 Cent, In Da Club (2003)
Not sure if i'll revisit it, but definitely listenable and fun in the moment.

SIX
Doves, Ambition (2005)
A bit too.... ambient? I think if i were stoned and lying in bed, i'd appreciate it more. (no, wait... i AM stoned and lying in bed! why didn't this song click???)

SURFER
Benjamin Booker, Violent Shiver (2014)
hell yeah, this rocked, dude.

TRANSFORMERS
Sturgill Simpson, All Around You (2016)
Soulful and moving. I'm not into the same type of country you mentioned (i prefer classic/outlaw stuff like Willie, Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, etc.).. but this was good
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Friend - Good song. Had a 60's and an early 90's vibe to it. 6.5/10

Geezer - Wake Up - No hate here, but not much love either. This was just okay for me. 5.5/10

JohnErle - Signal Sparks - Really, really liked this. All three times. 8/10

Leestu - Lord Can You Hear Me - Not sure about this one. Not a fan of gospel. 5/10

NSpan - It's Over Now - Sorry, this did nothing for me. 4/10

Ron B - Y'All Want a Single - I love a lot of Korn (two songs are on my list), but this is one of my least favorite of theirs. 5/10

Screen203 - Defeated No More - I really liked this. Cool, groovy, dance vibe. Look forward to future picks from your own Anais! (My Anais is definitely Pet Shop boys, which you'll be hearing a lot of.) 7.5/10

Six - Ambition - Somewhat yawn-inducing, but decent. 5/10

Surfer - Violent Shiver - Not bad. Love the guitar. 6.5/10

Transformers - All Around You - As you may have noticed, one of Simpson's newest songs ("Mercury in Retrograde") just missed my own countdown. And I hate country as much as I hate gangsta rap. But there are exceptions. This isn't one of them. 5.5/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#89 playlist
https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... JIBitG88Ew

Missing from spotify are the picks from Chien & Nspan.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

NSpan, Wake up was used in the trailer for Where The Wild Things Are. I remember it distinctly. Really great trailer, really forgettable movie.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien, that wasn't actually bad, despite the language barrier. It was pleasant enough.
Leestu, I could never totally get into this song. It has good elements, but her voice honestly kinda grates on me at every other part of the song but the chorus. That said, its better than much of this round.
NSpan, are you SURE that song wasn't from the 80's? Because I know 80's when I hear it.
Ron - This is the first Post Malone song I have ever heard, at least that I'm aware of. And honestly I don't hate it. Its definitely catchy. Perfectly decent pop. I dig it.
Screen - Musically this does absolutely nothing for me, but I can relate to it lyrically at least.
Shryke - This has to be another 80's tune. You guys clearly forgot the rules.
Six - what the fuck is that noise going on underneath the entire song (at least I assume the entire song, I obviously didn't finish it)? Its not natural.
Surfer- meh.
Tranny - I'll be posting a White Stripes song on Facebook tomorrow, my number 133. But it won't be this one, I always felt they were better when they went more straight rock and less experimental. Shocking, considering my taste, I know.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude