Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #90-81

Post by numbersix »

So many great and awful songs

Best song I didn't know is that Eagulls one.

And 5 songs are gonna appear in my own list a little later. 5 non-Mumford songs.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guess Mumford has replaced Smash Mouth as the heavily-bashed Shryke pick for now. I have a feeling I know which band will replace them in the next thread...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

At least Daddy Mumford managed to not ruin the soundtrack to Inside Llewyn Davis. I was considering his duet on Fare Thee Well before I removed most of the cover songs from my list.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Excellent

The Killers, Somebody Told Me - yeah I can't help myself, I really did enjoy The Killers when they first started...great song to singalong to...they went downhill though until The Man a couple of years ago which was quite decent

The Great

Galactic, The Moil - first listen...oh yeah this was a great trip...I know I will want to listen to this again

Rage Against the Machine, Renegades of Funk - I've got a fascination with covers for some reason and always find cover albums interesting so I dug this album, it had some surprising choices...love the way they balance the funk with their signature sound here

The Very Good

School Of Language, Rockist Part 4 - first listen...I found this really interesting...being a part 4 I want to listen to the whole album...and I want to know more...adding the album to my list

PJ Harvey, When Under Ether - first listen...thanks for telling us what this was about, it helped in appreciating the song...I liked this more than the other PJ Harvey song...I never would have guessed that if two PJ Harvey songs appeared they would both be from White Chalk

August Burns Red, Broken Promises - first listen...this was really good, more melodic compared to yesterday's pick yesterday's pick while still showing their technocal skill, which makes it more listenable, some great drumming in the second half of the song

The Good

The Menzingers, Lookers - first listen (I think) - I've heard a bit of Menzingers here and there and always like what I hear, this included

The Okay

Kanye West, Monster - every Kanye album seems to have one or two great songs, one or two shockers, and a bunch of middling songs...this falls into the middling category for me...unnecessarily overlong...but yes Nicki Minaj kills it here and steals the show

Clare Maguire, Elizabeth Taylor - first listen...great voice, reminded me of Florence...not my style of song though

Taxiride, Creepin’ Up Slowly - lacking in originality with token scratching that feels out of place...others were doing this better, earlier...it is catchy though

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

82-81

I can hear the overall quality rising slowly.

CHIEN
82- Grounds for Divorce- Yes! This is a song that i haven't heard in a long time, great pick mate. 7.5/10
81- Elizabeth Taylor- Hmm, i echo your feelings about listening a song until you like or love it. FL. 5/10

GEEZER
82- Sequestered in Memphis- They had a couple good songs, this was decent. 5.5/10
81- Lookers- At one point i went to turn it off, but i just can't do that (unless its 20 minutes). FL. 4/10

JOHNERLE
82- I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked- Maybe the best song you've shown us so far, good one John. 6.5/10
81- Rockist Part 4- I've used "Not Bad" too many times for you John, but thats what it is. FL. 5/10

LEESTU
82- Elephant- It is a pretty awesome song, but its not the best from the album. 8/10
81- Ms. Jackson- If i rated it in your format, it would be in the 'I Love It' part. 9/10

NSPAN
82- Walking With the Beggar Boys- Not bad, just didnt strike me. FL. 4.5/10
81- The Moil- You really like Dan the Automator don't you? This was pretty funky, i liked it. FL. 6/10

SCREEN
82- Sky Walker- Ohhh, thiiis song. Thought i didn't know. Its ok. 5.5/10
81- Somebody Told Me- Hmm, i think this is one of my least fav songs from The Killers. 5.5/10

SHRYKE
82- If You’re Gone- Heard this one a bazillion times when i was yonger. That actually drags it down. 3/10
81- Creepin' Up Slowly- Ahh, this one, yeah heard it too many times. It was ok. 4.5/10

SIX
82- Realiti- Probably my fav song i hadn't heard before the countdown. This was great. Noice! FL6! 8/10
81- Monster- I wanted to pretend that i heard this before, even though ive seen Kayne live, i can't remember this one. Its real good. FL? 6.5/10

SURFER
82- Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow- Sad face. FL2. 4/10
81- When Under Ether- Hmm, i gotta get me some of that ether. I get that she's talented but its nothing i would ever go see live, at least for another 10 years. FL. 3.5/10

TRANSFORMERS
82 -Drumhead Trial- I like the artwork better than the song. FL. 2/10
81- Broken Promises- The bits without vocals is the best part, actually real good. Then the frontman starts growling again and its just meh. FL. 3/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up on round 82 and 81

Chien
82- Elbow - My mum loves Elbow, so automatically I hated the band. Having said that, this is probably the only song of theirs I can stand. Has a nice almost eerie quality to it, and that beat at the chorus point is great.
81- Claire Maguire - Cant really separate what she does from the factory lines of Adele etc.

Geezer
82- The Hold Steady - I am so happy that I have had a lasting impression on you, and in a good way no less! This is a great song, I didn't get any songs from the band in my own countdown, so while I still prefer their work from Girls and Boys In America to Stay Positive, both records were great. Kind of lost interest in them after that record though, anything worth investing in?
81- The Menzingers - I think I have one of their earlier records when they first got a bit of attention. Didn't really feel it then. Tried their latest record last year and that did nothing either. Guess what, this did nothing either. Pretty standard college rock

JohnErle
82- Ida Maria - This must have passed me by when I moved to NZ, never heard it before but it was a lot of fun.
81- School of Language - Kind of samey, got a little bored to be honest.

Leestu
82- Tame Impala - Again, did not know this was these guys. Has a very 70s feel to it, almost Bolan-esque. Was OK.
81- Outkast - Yeah I like this, though it got so so so overplayed when it first came out, that I kind of lost interest in it. And definitely prefer Hey Ya over it.

NSpan
82- Elf Power - I assume it was you who introduced these guys to us back in the original countdown? I remember quite liking that offering, was not too bothered by this effort though.
81- Galactic - To be honest, it felt a little over produced, lacking in any real soul I was hoping for. Nothing really explosive or quirky, just pretty standard stuff.

Ron
82 - DMAs - This is Oasis-esque? Don't hear it myself from this offering, which to be honest was a little insipid.
81 - RATM - Pretty much the only song I liked from this record, although it definitely outstays its welcome by its last minute, and as six mentions, the band had well past their peak by this point so any praise has to be moderated.

Screen
82- Miguel feat. Travis Scott - Not for me.
81- The Killers - I hope to death you have Mr Brightside on here, because if this is your favourite Killers song I am disappointed. This always felt like that second single of a band trying to keep the momentum of their breakout single, and nothing really interested me in it.

Shryke
82- Matchbox20 - I think I have made my case for matchbox20 already. Wont worry you with any further words.
81- Taxiride - Yikes, I remember those early years of the millennium which followed this formula of music, the scratching effects, the slow verse followed by the bopping chorus. Not for me, not back in 2002, and definitely not now. Smashmouth, all is forgiven...

Six
82- Grimes - I really liked her breakout record Visions back almost a decade ago now. Never really took any further interest in her beyond that though (so much so I have no idea who Elon Musk is... sounds like some kind of cheap deodorant from a bargain store). This was nice though,
81- Kanye - Just not for me at all.

Tranny
82 - Protest The Hero - Felt like the whole thing had been played at the wrong speed on a record player. So Fast!
81- August Burns Red - Thank god I listened to this at home, I dont think I would have survived the song without something being thrown at me in the office! To be honest, I enjoyed this one a lot more than your other offerings despite the vocals. The breaks in the pummelling assaults of guitars and drums were quite lovely.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:Catching up on round 82 and 81

Geezer
82- The Hold Steady - I am so happy that I have had a lasting impression on you, and in a good way no less! This is a great song, I didn't get any songs from the band in my own countdown, so while I still prefer their work from Girls and Boys In America to Stay Positive, both records were great. Kind of lost interest in them after that record though, anything worth investing in?
Heaven is Whenever has a couple of good tracks, but its nowhere near as good as the previous two albums. I listened to Teeth Dreams and nothing stuck. Haven't even listened to anything off their most recent release. So I guess basically, you're not missing much. Its still Boys and Girls that I listen to most, but its always been better as a collective album to me than having one stand out track, which is why it missed my list. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Chips Ahoy or You Can Make Him Like You.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien - familiar and not bad at all.
Ron B - obviously very familiar, a contender for my own list. Fell In Love With a Girl made the 101-150 portion of my list, and this isn't far behind that.
Shryke - I don't know why you're getting so much shit for Mumford and Sons. I remember Leestu putting "Little Lion Man" in his list 10 years ago. I remember it distinctly because I had never heard them before and I thought it was really, really good. So good in fact that I put it at number 103 on my own list this time. Obviously they blew up shortly after that and it became really uncool to like them, but I still like a lot of their songs, this one included.
Surfer - that came out in 2013??? Damn, it sounds straight out of the 80's. Kinda cool though.

I didn't make it through anything else.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

John - I really enjoyed this one! Its going to be stuck in my head for days. That chorus is KILLER! Easily one of the best new to me songs of this countdown so far.
NSpan - not bad. One of your more listenable tracks for me.
Shryke - my wife appreciates it!
Surfer - I really, really can not get into this guy.
Tranny - I didn't hate this! Its like death metal without the nonsensical screaming. Better than most.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien - I found this to be really pleasant. Not something I'd seek out, but not something I'd turn off. Nice.
Geezer - Surfer, enlighten me to more of this standard college rock, because it is clearly very much my jam. But to be honest, Hello Exile (their most recent) did nothing for me either. It was very much a retread of a lot of stuff they have done before, and it makes me feel like one of my favorite bands has peaked. Not that I'm THAT surprised about it. They are starting to get quite a bit more success, and when that happens, bands can get complacent in their lane (see Against, Rise). It fits my "five album theory" that bands get five albums to really make their mark, before they get stale or change their sound too much that it alienates their fanbase. Very few artists can overcome the five album rule.
Leestu - Love Ms. Jackson. Another great song from Outkast.
NSpan - At this point I think I can just skip anything that has this "Dan the Automator" character in it.
Ron - I absolutely love Rage, easily one of my favorite bands of all time. I never considered them for my list, because all of their best stuff came out in the 90's, but I still like this track.
Screen - You posted a song I actually like! Hallelujah! Its not even close to my favorite Killers song, but its still pretty good.
Shryke - not bad, I vaguely remember this.
Six - Your opening line should read "Remember when Kanye was liked by everyone but Geezer?" Because I have always hated this shit.
Surfer - "For those paying attention, would I intentionally place a song by each of Nick Cave and PJ Harvey alongside one another?" Apparently yes, because you are trying to kill me.
Tranny - I really hate that I feel the same way about most of your songs that everyone does about most of mine, but alas, here we are.