Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Post by NSpan »

**98**

CHIEN Chinawoman (Michelle Gurevich), Party Girl (2007)
This really held my attention. I kinda didn't want it to end.

JOHNERLE The Arcade Fire, Rebellion (Lies) (2004)
I never really gave this band a chance. It's not 100% my style, but I dug this track.

GEEZER Blink-182, First Date (2001)
Undeniably fun. Not crazy about the vocals, though.

LEESTU Peter Bjorn And John, Young Folks (2006)
I know this song. I love this song. I had no idea whose song it was. Thank you.

RON B MGMT, Time to Pretend (2008)
Another band I'm aware of that I never totally dove into... but this particular track ain't bad

SCREEN203 Garbage, Empty (2016)
i ADORE Garbage's first album. I think Shirley Manson is a superstar. This track was new to me, and I liked it

SHRYKE Better Than Ezra, Grateful (2018)
I didn't expect much from a BTE track in 2018... but this was pleasant.

SIX PJ Harvey, White Chalk (2007)
I'm gonna revisit this. It didn't totally grab me on first listen, but there's definitely something to it.

SURFER My Morning Jacket, Gideon (2005)
Pleasant. So pleasant that I kinda zoned out and was surprised when it ended. Not sure if that's HIGH praise exactly, but it is what it is.

TRANSFORMERS Lorde, Buzzcut Season (2013)
15?? damn!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm pretty swamped at work so still not a lot of time or brain power left over for commenting on these picks, but I am listening.

I knew there'd be at least one artist I completely overlooked when compiling my list, and the first to come up is Sufjan Stevens. I quite liked those two albums with the absurdly long song titles, but I haven't listened to either of them in years, which is perhaps a sign that they wouldn't have made the cut anyway, but they probably should have been revisited. As I recall, Casmir Pulaski Day was probably my favourite track of his, but the one that appeared is very good as well.

I don't disagree with the comment about Geezer's picks all sounding the same (especially the singers) but I kinda feel the same way about Six's picks so far. Hopefully they both have more variety in store as we get to the higher picks. The reality though is that when you really immerse yourself in a genre you hear the subtle differences that wouldn't be apparent to a casual listener. If you don't listen to much reggae, the reggae you hear all sounds the same, and if you don't listen to much punk it all sounds the same, etc. etc.

And despite my eclectic tastes, I have very little patience for hip-hop, death metal, or jazz for that matter, so Tranny has a really steep hill to climb if he hopes to win me over with any of his picks. Especially when we reach the top 10 and he blows all our minds by suddenly switching over to jazz.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Trust me John, I'm not hoping or expecting to win anyone over with my picks :lol: The vast majority of the stuff I enjoy is vastly polarizing, often indulgent shit that comes from niche subgenres that have a tendency to bore, grate on or just flat-out repulse people. Hell, the biggest surprise I've had of the entire countdown so far is that somebody (Leestu) has reacted positively to almost all of my choices! We've barely even scratched the surface of the heinous extremes of my music taste, so buckle up everybody!

Shryke, I'll make up for my lack of commenting so far by gathering up the recaps of everybody's picks. Should have them up in the next hour or so.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
I don't disagree with the comment about Geezer's picks all sounding the same (especially the singers) but I kinda feel the same way about Six's picks so far.
It's true. PJ Harvey often gets mistaken as ambient electro act Blanck Mass all the time. They're virtually the same in that they both produce sounds.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote: I don't disagree with the comment about Geezer's picks all sounding the same (especially the singers) but I kinda feel the same way about Six's picks so far.
It's true. PJ Harvey often gets mistaken as ambient electro act Blanck Mass all the time. They're virtually the same in that they both produce sounds.
You and your SOUND-rock...

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

100-91 recap:

Chien:
100.Angus & Julia Snow-Heartbreak
99.Bradley Cooper-Black Eyes
98.Chinawoman (aka Michelle Gurevich)-Party Girl
97.Brigitte-A bouche que veux-tu
96.Pris Polo-Paris Noroursins
95.Juliette Armanet-Manque d'amour
94.Son Lux-Easy
93.Marc Lavoine/Souad Massi-Paris
92.The National-Bloodbuzz
91.Christine and the Queens-Saint Claude

JohnErle:
100.Glasvegas-Geraldine
99.Betty LaVette-The High Road
98.Arcade Fire-Rebellion (Lies)
97.The Dandy Warhols-Bohemian Like You (aka Hipster Like You)
96.Tom Petty-Square Ones
95.British Sea Power-Waving Flags
94.Explosions in the Sky-Your Hand in Mine
93.Wilco-A Ghost is Born
92.The Be Good Tanyas-Light Enough to Travel
91.The Cut Copy-Need You Now

Geezer:
100.The Wonders Year-Passing Through a Screen Door
99.Streetlight Manifesto-One Foot on the Gas, One Foot in the Grave
98.blink-182-First Date
97.Foo Fighters-Times Like These
96.Iron Chic-Wolf Dix Rd
95.Rise Against-Give It All
94.The Menzingers-Rivalries
93.Lucero-Mom
92.The Gaslight Anthem-We Came to Dance
91.Red City Radio-Two Notes Shy of An Octave

Leestu:
100.Grandaddy-This How It Always Starts
99.LCD Soundsystem-Dance Yourself Clean
98.Peter Bjorn and John-Young Folks
97.The Peep Tempel-Carol
96.Bright Eyes-Road to Joy
95.Machine Gun Fellatio-Unsent Letter
94.Sweet Trip-Chocolate Matter
93.Faker-Sleepwalking
92.The Vines-Get Free
91.Animal Collective-Cuckoo Cuckoo

Nspan:
100.Anais Mitchell-Wedding Song
99.Anais Mitchell-When the Chips Are Down
98.Anais Mitchell-Way Down Hadestown
97.Anais Mitchell-Our Lady Underground
96.Anais Mitchell-Why We Build the Wall
95.Spindrift-If You Don't Like It (Get the Fuck Out)
94.Pillowfight-You're So Pretty
93.Band of Skulls-Hollywood Bowl
92.Sleigh Bells-Rill Rill
91.The Burden Brothers-Conditional

Ron B:
100.Ou Est Le Swimming Pool-Dance The Way I Feel
99.Children Collide-Skeleton Dance
98.MGMT-Time to Pretend
97.Bands of Horses-Laredo
96.Parcels-Countdown
95.Last Dinosaurs-Dominoes
94.Bluejuice-I'll Go Crazy
93.Tame Impala-Let It Happen
92.Kaiser Chiefs-Ruby
91.Neon Indian-Polish Girl

Screen:
100.Billie Eilish-my strange addiction
99.Tinashe-Bet (feat. Devonte Hynes)
98.Garbage-Empty
97.Ellie Goulding-Anything Can Happen
96.Disclosure-Confess to Me (feat. Jessie Ware)
95.Maggie Rodgers-On+Off
94.Chelsea Wolfe-Iron Moon
93.Kylie Minogue-Can't Get You Out of My Head
92.Florence + the Machine-Heavy in Your Arms
91.Alanis Morissette-You Owe Me Nothing in Return

Shryke:
100.Smash Mouth-You Are My Number One
99.Eminem-The Real Slim Shady
98.Better than Ezra-Grateful
97.matchbox twenty-Bent
96.Sevendust-Black (acoustic)
95.The Cranberries-Analyse
94.Kelly Clarkson-Behind These Hazel Eyes
93.Collective Soul-Why Pt.2
92.Outkast-Hey Ya!
91.Sheryl Crow-Real Gone

Six:
100.Iceage-Catch It
99.The Horrors-I Only Think of You
98.PJ Harvey-White Chalk
97.Dirty Beaches-Lone Runner
96.Girl Band-Lawman
95.Blanck Mass-No Lite
94.Peaches-Lovertits
93.Song:Ohia,-Blue Factory Flame
92.DJ Shadow-You Can't Go Home Again
91.Bloc Party-The Pioneers

Surfer:
100.Sacred Paws-Strike a Match
99.The Men-Turn it Around
98.My Morning Jacket-Gideon
97.Brakes-I Can't Stand to Stand Besides You
96.The Antlers-Bear
95.Hop Along-Waitress
94.Snail Mail-Pristine
93.The Murder Capital-Don't Cling to Life
92.Sauna Youth-Transmitters
91.Sufjan Stevens-The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out to Get Us!

Transformers:
100.Madvillian-Rhinestone Cowboy
99.Animals as Leaders-Another Year
98.Lorde-Buzzcut Season
97.ScHoolboy Q-Collard Greens (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
96.Amon Amarth-Under the Northern Star
95.FKA twigs-Figure 8
94.Periphery-Have a Blast
93.Coheed and Cambria-The Dark Sentencer
92.Born of Osiris-Recreate
91.Dance Gavin Dance-Stroke God, Millionaire

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote:
I don't disagree with the comment about Geezer's picks all sounding the same (especially the singers) but I kinda feel the same way about Six's picks so far.
Music can be entirely different genres while still having the same mood and tempo, which is what I was referring to. To be fair, I'm not sitting there and over-analyzing every pick that comes around and jotting down my analysis in real-time. I'm just playing this stuff while I go about my day and seeing if anything grabs me. I may have been passed out a plane when that PJ Harvey track came around, or I may have missed it entirely. My comment was a pretty general gut response. All I can say for certain is that I know I've been hitting the skip button on a lot of your tracks for the same reason I haven't made it all the way through a lot of Geezer's: a sense that I've heard this before and nothing is likely to surprise me before the song ends.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

JohnErle wrote:
I don't disagree with the comment about Geezer's picks all sounding the same (especially the singers) but I kinda feel the same way about Six's picks so far. Hopefully they both have more variety in store as we get to the higher picks. The reality though is that when you really immerse yourself in a genre you hear the subtle differences that wouldn't be apparent to a casual listener. If you don't listen to much reggae, the reggae you hear all sounds the same, and if you don't listen to much punk it all sounds the same, etc. etc.
THANK YOU!!! This is precisely it. So so so well said. I can totally get that a lot of these songs would sound the same to someone who isn't in love with or hasn't experienced much of the genre. I get it, believe me, and if you chose to skip me, or give me a shortened treatment and just shut it off the minute it all sounds exactly the same, I wouldn't be offended one bit. Hell, I've been very up front about the fact that I have done the same to many of these songs. Don't torture yourselves on my account!

I'd also add that when you've actually seen these songs performed live by their artists, you get a completely different experience than just listening to the track as recorded. I have so many memories of shouting at the top of my longs to so many of the songs on this list, fist raised in the air, colliding with a mass of sweaty bodies all joined in a cohesive display of unity, brother(and sister)hood and love of the music. Many of my favorite songs are my favorite songs because of their anthemic nature, that they are just so fun to sing along to as part of that experience. I feel Red City Radio for example is one of the absolute best bands in the world at this. Their songs practically beg you to shout along with them as loud as you can. My musical choices are almost universally best experienced live.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

And on another, maybe final note, maybe not:

The task at hand was to compile our 100 favorite songs, not our 100 favorite completely different songs. If these songs sound overly similar, maybe that's just the exact sound that I enjoy the most. Quite honestly I think that just makes sense. The reason I feature so many of the same artists is because in my opinion, they are doing it better than everyone else. I'm not a man of broad tastes, but I've never tried to hide that fact.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

First: Thanks, tranny for compiling everyone's lists thus far. Can I count on you to do that for each thread?

Second: Very well said, John and Geezer. I certainly don't expect to win many people over with my choices, most of which y'all would classify as too soft or too generic or too overplayed. I told y'all that going in. My punishment for not buying albums or listening to the radio or having a Spotify list is that I had to limit myself mostly to radio airplay songs and my all time favorite bands.

But if nothing else, my OutKast pick made up on some level for my Smash Mouth pick.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Don't let them give you shit, Shryke my boy. There was a time in my life that All Star by Smashmouth was my favorite song. Granted I was probably 12, but still. Love what you love.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:First: Thanks, tranny for compiling everyone's lists thus far. Can I count on you to do that for each thread?
For sure.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
numbersix wrote:
JohnErle wrote:
Music can be entirely different genres while still having the same mood and tempo, which is what I was referring to. To be fair, I'm not sitting there and over-analyzing every pick that comes around and jotting down my analysis in real-time. I'm just playing this stuff while I go about my day and seeing if anything grabs me. I may have been passed out a plane when that PJ Harvey track came around, or I may have missed it entirely. My comment was a pretty general gut response. All I can say for certain is that I know I've been hitting the skip button on a lot of your tracks for the same reason I haven't made it all the way through a lot of Geezer's: a sense that I've heard this before and nothing is likely to surprise me before the song ends.

True, but that's because for you there are only two music categories: Steve Earle and non-Steve Earle. And all my songs fall into the latter category.

Or, I suspect a lot of my picks so far eschewed the traditional verse-chorus-verse structure and maybe sounded similar then. Not sure why that is, but it won't be like that the whole journey. Some are 10 minutes of chorus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Final thing on this round: only 1 song from someone else made it into my own Top 100.

Will it be Smash Mouth? Wait and see...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Final thing on this round: only 1 song from someone else made it into my own Top 100.

Will it be Smash Mouth? Wait and see...
I'm literally on the edge of my seat.

This chair is rickety as fuck.