Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Post by Leestu »

NSpan wrote:
Leestu wrote:#94 playlist

I can't find Nspan's Pillowfight, You're So Pretty on spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... oNw83KDcoA
Try putting a space between the two words. As in Pillow Fight. It's there.
Thanks, that helps. I have now found the artist but not this song....maybe it's a not available in this country spotify thing. I made the playlist collaborative if you want to add it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Christine and the Queens, Saint Claude (2014)

I think Christine and the Queens crossed the French borders so some of you might know her, with this mix of French and English. She’s one of the main players of the French scene, and you just have to listen to this song to understand why.

JOHNERLE

Cut Copy, Need You Now (2011)

I prefer the longer album version, but the video is a good starting point.

Also: Where I'm Going

GEEZER

Red City Radio, Two Notes Shy of an Octave (2013)

Yup, I'm closing out my first ten with another punk song. Surprise surprise. This little band out of Oklahoma is one of the best in the game right now, hands down. This opening track off their album 'Titles' is incredible, which coincidentally, was ANOTHER that was featured on my 2013 top albums list. Though it was ranked 9th at the time, if I had to re-rank that list, Titles would have ranked second, only behind the original number 1, which will be prominently featured later on in the list. Not sure what I was thinking!

LEESTU

Animal Collective, Cuckoo Cuckoo (2007)

The album Merriweather Post Pavillion was the first I heard of Animal Collective. It was so highly regarded I kept listening to it despite only liking a couple of songs, and it did slowly grow on me enough to go back and check out some of their earlier albums. I’m so glad I did because Strawberry Jam is an incredible album that blew me away, and Feels is not far behind. Now I get the Animal Collective acclaim. This song is an album track from Strawberry Jam and is my favourite AC song. It’s a little bit insane, strange, and weird. Over a repeating soothing piano line apparently sampled from a piece of classical music by Liszt, there is some crazy, aggressive, dissonance that adds an interesting avant garde noise pop element to their neo-psychedelia.

NSPAN

The Burden Brothers, Conditional (2003)

What did the Toadies do while they were on hiatus? Why, they made more awesome Toadies-esque music, of course!

RON B

Neon Indian, Polish Girl (2011)

Sometimes a song can be etched into your memory with just one or two nights. I had an unbelievably memorable experience listening to this song (and the album). I love the chillwave sound, not all has to be poppy and catchy. Yes sometimes, it helps if you're 'on' something (I was 'on' red wine) which I reckon this sound sometimes gets confused with, but for me, I still rate this song above all from the artist, a genuine new type sound.

SCREEN203

Alanis Morissette, You Owe Me Nothing In Return

You may notice a pattern with my picks; a mix of pop hits, dance songs (particularly house) ,and 90s alternative singers/bands you didn't realize were still active, with the occasional out-of-left-field rock (even metal) song. Alanis Morissette is my all-time favorite artist, and I would say Under Rug Swept is slept on - honestly I think it's better than Jagged Little Pill. This is one of her least cynical songs, and it shows the diversity in her writing - going back to You Oughta Know to even songs on this album like Narcissus or Hands Clean, and comparing it to this show a duality most artists cannot achieve, let alone write.

SHRYKE

Sheryl Crow, Real Gone (2006)

I remember getting a lot of bile ten years ago for including this song on my All Time Favorites list, but even fourteen years later, I still love Sheryl Crow’s rip-roaring intro to Pixar’s Cars series. The harmonicas, the steely guitars… just turn your brain off and enjoy.

SIX

Bloc Party, The Pioneers (2005)

Ah Bloc Party. There was a moment when they felt like the future of music. We didn’t get the memo telling us guitars would become niche. Influenced by the post-punk revival scene, they generated a lot of hype even before their debut album came out, with echoes of Gang of Four in their sound. This is my favourite track of theirs, a soaring track about being young and hopeful. Sadly, they became a band of diminishing returns, never able to hit the highs of their debut.

ETA: If you can't get into the above video, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52jWkrfjakk

SURFER

Sufjan Stevens, The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! (2005)

Remember when Sufjan started that ambitious project of a record based on each state in the United States? Yeah, unfortunately that ambition was a little premature and all we were left with was two records from this series, Michigan and Illinois. The latter is my own personal favourite, containing many quite beautiful songs that document the state both in its history and also a more personal level for Sufjan. This is where The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Me! comes in. Not only is it one of the best titles in recent years, it is also a quite beautiful song detailing what is perhaps his first homosexual experience when at a Christian summer camp in Palisades, Illinois. Beginning with some serene woodwind instruments and matched by the delicate vocals, the song captures the beauty of young love and the pain of religion clashing with one another as the music and lyrics escalates and intertwine like lovers building into a crescendo. While it is perhaps a shame Sufjan never got to explore more of the themes in his state project, songs like this highlight what was made was quite wonderful.

TRANSFORMERS

Dance Gavin Dance, Stroke God, Millionaire (2015)

Combing intentionally ridiculous lyrics, heinous screams, beautiful falsetto vocals and math rock-inspired guitarwork, Dance Gavin Dance is a proudly odd band that has understandably become very polarizing over the course of their decade-and-a-half career. The strengths (unbelievable chemistry between the harsh and clean vocalists, intricate instrumentation, hookwriting) that have endeared me to these weirdos over the years are all over this 3-minute burst of quirky, frenzied post-hardcore.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:
NSpan wrote:
Leestu wrote:#94 playlist

I can't find Nspan's Pillowfight, You're So Pretty on spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... oNw83KDcoA
Try putting a space between the two words. As in Pillow Fight. It's there.
Thanks, that helps. I have now found the artist but not this song....maybe it's a not available in this country spotify thing. I made the playlist collaborative if you want to add it.
Oh, how strange. I'll take a look. Thanks!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote: The Gaslight Anthem was good too, reminded me of The Hold Steady quite a bit, but yeah, nice.
You said that last time too.... more on that in the next group of ten.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
While I appreciate your stance to really embrace your favourite bands of the last two decades, I really hope there is some variety within each song. As though I will definitely give every song a go, if there's going to be so many songs from recurring bands, I fear I will become a little complacent with each listen. Fingers crossed that is not the case!!
I mean, I certainly find them to be different from one another, and hope to show a level of progression in each, but your mileage may vary.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Saint Claude - liked this very much, even though I didn't understand most of it. Very cool. Love her voice. 7.5/10

JohnErle - Need You Now - I loved the way this started. I hoped that it would build to something awesome, but it never quite got there. 6.5/10

Geezer - Two Notes Shy of an Octave - Didn't like it. Sorry. 4/10

Leestu - Cuckoo Cuckoo - Didn't like it. Although "Dissonant Liszt" would be a great name for a band. 3.5/10

NSpan - Conditional - Love some early Toadies stuff (Possum Kingdom remains one of my ATF songs), but this didn't do much for me. 5.5/10

Ron B - Polish Girl - Loved this. One of my favorites of yours so far. Right in my wheelhouse! 8.5/10

Screen203 - You Owe Me Nothing In Return - Alanis is your ATF artist? Dude! While I haven't been a fan of all her stuff, she has many songs that I simply adore, although most of them are from the 90s (Uninvited and Thank U top the list), and I have one of her songs VERY HIGH on my list. 7.5/10

Six - The Pioneers - This was good, but not anything I'm going to remember in a week. 6/10

Surfer - The Predatory Wasp... - Not bad. Got kind of a Crowded House vibe by the song. 6.5/10

Transformers - Stroke God, Millionaire - That was... interesting. I'll leave it at that. :P 6/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm starting a new thread with the next song - dose anyone want to compile a short list of everybody's picks posted on THIS thread within the next day or so? Then people can give their highlights (OutKast!), lowlights (Smash Mouth, duh), and overall impressions thus far.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

The best from the 92's, for me, were two songs I had heard before, Get Free and Hey Ya. I love both of those songs. Hey Ya was actually in contention for my list as well.

The rest were mostly pleasant but nothing special, except for Six and tranny, which were not pleasant in the slightest.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Wow. Universal praise for one of MY choices. Hell hath frozen over. :lol:

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I didn't like anything from the list of 91's. Six's video wouldn't play, which I have to believe is a sign that he was done torturing me, but the joke's on him, because I'd already heard this song since I own this album! I haven't listened to it in years, and this isn't one of my favorite tracks, but that album was pretty good. Might just revisit the whole thing again now. I have to say that is the best song of this entire round. Now good luck picking up the remnants of your exploded brain, bud.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Ron Burgundy wrote: NSPAN
96 - You are taking the piss, and whats worse, is that I don't get the lyrics on this one. Is he sarcastic? Is this in relation to Trumps wall? If its in all honest, then I pretty much despise it. First listen
2/10
It's EXTREMELY satirical. The song was written well before the Age of Trump, but it applies today more than ever. To make it as simple as possible: it's saying building walls (literal and figurative) is futile, xenophobic, and wrong.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#91 playlist
https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... ZuCFI0p3EA

I can't find the Burden Brothers song, & the Neon Indian song on spotify

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

91s

Chien - yes indeed she has broken through and is huge here in the UK, and in the US I believe. I'm not a massive fan of her stuff. This is a little subdued for a pop song.
John - interesting pick. I love almost everything from their previous record. This is a great song, although the album as a whole felt like a miss. Except for Corner of the Sky which is incredible and now I'm wondering why I didn't put that on my list.
Geez - the only way I can tell this apart from your other picks is his slightly deeper voice.
Leetsu - surprising choice. Very unexpected. I would have picked the slightly more radio-friendly Fireworks or Peacebonne from this album, but I do love this song and the album. These guys had a great noughties, with 4 exceptional records.
NSpan - it was okay, but I prefer Toadies. This felt like a lesser grunge band to me. Which in 2003 wasn't a great look.
Ron B - chillwave is almost always appealing, and almost never brilliant. I enjoyed the vibe of the song.
Screen - Didn't like her in her heydey, and certainly don't like her after that.
Shryke - After Alanis this sounded better than it should!
Surf - Another surprising choice. But a totally beautiful song from an album that is one of the all-time greats. I'll be posting another Sufjan song with a similar theme soon.
Tranny - jeez, this was a bit all over the place. But at least it was a shakeup from the usual hyper-masculine vocals

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Great

Burden Brothers, Conditional - do I remember this from one of our other countdowns?...great vocals and great music

Dance Gavin Dance, Stroke God, Millionaire - first listen...math rock and post-hardcore vocals? I'm sold

The Very Good

Bloc Party, The Pioneers - excellent album with lot's of great songs...different songs have been my favourite over time, atm it's Positive Tension and it was probably one of the last ten songs I cut from this countdown

The Good

Cut Copy, Need You Now - first listen...I have heard a few Cut Copy songs but usually they are too synthpop for my taste but this was better than most I've heard

Red City Radio, Two Notes Shy of an Octave - it's good but I'm still waiting for something extra special from this type of punk you that you are into...I know they are out there

The Okay

Neon Indian, Polish Girl - first listen...you might be right about being better on something...unfortunately I'm old and (mainly) sober now...I still haven't found some chillwave I really like yet

Sufjan Stevens, The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! - I know critics and indie hipster kids love Sufjan, but after listening to 5 of his albums so far, including this one, I still don't find him anything more than just okay (apart from a couple of great songs on Carrie & Lowell)...the most enjoyment I got out of this album were the song titles

The Meh

Christine and the Queens, Saint Claude - I didn't really like this album but this song was better than I remember the album being...nothing to do with this song specifically but I heard her song with Charlie XCX way too many times on the radio last year

Sheryl Crow, Real Gone - see below comment for Alanis

Alanis Morissette, You Owe Me Nothing In Return - first listen...don't get me wrong, a meh from me is not bad...I don't dislike these songs...they are better than silence...nothing I would revisit but I wouldn't turn them off either

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Tranny

Dance Gavin Dance, stroke God, Millionaire
If the title isn't a reference to Labyrinth, I don't know what is. FL
4.5/10

Surfer
Sufjan Stevans, The Predatory Wasp
Its not bad, just doesnt hit me or amaze etc. FL3
4.5/10

Six
Bloc Party - The Pioneers
I kinda love Bloc Party, they were such an original band at the time, probably still are. But I only rate a couple of their songs very highly. This certainly aint bad.
6/10

Shryke
Sheryl Crow, Real Gone
Aww, shiet, i listened to this twice, just incase. I really did not like it, feel bad cause you rated my stuff. FL2
2/10

Screen
Alanis Morrisette, You Owe Me Nothing in Return
I tried, listened 1.5 times but it does next to nothing for me. FL
1.5/10

NSPAN
I had to find this one online, link didn't work. It wasn't my cuppa tea. FL
3.5/10

Leestu
Animal Collective, Cuckoo Cuckoo
I really like some of their stuff, My girls is one. But this one didn't connect. FL2
5/10

Geezer
Red City Radio, Two Notes Shy
Its just not for me. But I respect you love your genre.
1.5/10

jErle
Cut Copy, Need You Now
Is this a surprise? Like many have said now, this is my fav of the round. You are flying down under John?
7.5/10

Chien
Christine and the Queens, Saint Claude
So, more French music, but wait, its slightly English. I'd be lying if I said I liked it. Parasite on the other hand...
4/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale