Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #100-91

Post by numbersix »

I'll try my best. Maybe if you focus on dissonant noise I might meet you half-way

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:I'll try my best. Maybe if you focus on dissonant noise I might meet you half-way
Don't hold your breath.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien, in that world I'd choose a lot more who would do it better.
John, nice but not for me
Geez, the idea of you moving away from Rise Against scares me so much. More than coronavirus. More than Trump ruling the world. Seriously
Leetsu - okay, but not for me. Strangely
Nspan- someone else!!!!!! To be fair I actually liked the Anais Mithcell stuff, but not all of it!!!
Ron B - didn't excite me.
Screen - she spends a lot of time saying/asking if I turn her on again. I don't. This is not a song for me. Sometimes eating a pie is sexier.
Shryke - Dolores dying hurt us bad, and we all mourned. We knew what was happening but we did nothing. That's on us. I didn't like her music but I respected her. That's on me.
Surf - didn't do a lot for me outside of the drummer.
Tranny - another surprise. Love this song. Love her. She lives near me!!! Too scared to talk to her.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote:95
Geez, the idea of you moving away from Rise Against scares me so much. More than coronavirus. More than Trump ruling the world. Seriously
In a good way, right?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Chien - it was listenable background music. I didn't even turn it off! Seriously!

JohnErle - Wasn't totally for me. Your picks (the ones I was unfamiliar with) have all been nice, not something I'd seek out actively, however, they are never an insult to my eardrums, so thanks for that.

Geezer - I'll elaborate further as to why I've gone my separate ways with them in my next few posts related to their songs, Six. There's three more.

Leestu - this almost put me to sleep. Full disclosure though, I'm really tired right now.

NSpan - Do I have to (get the fuck out) now? I think I have to, right? Can I even continue reviewing songs? What are the rules, NSpan?

Ron - Like JohnErle's this round, it was pleasant enough, didn't make me reach for the skip button, but its not something I'd actively seek out.

Screen - Ya know what, I didn't totally hate it! I didn't love the music behind it, but her voice was decent and I dunno, its definitely the best I've heard from you. Take that NSpan! Good things happen when you don't follow the rules! Are there even rules?

Shryke - I had not heard this particular Cranberries song, but it was good, very Cranberries, and I do like them.

Six - The first minute was just noise. The second two minutes put me to sleep. Then I turned it off because ain't nobody got time for this. Just know that I tried, really hard, for you.

Surf - This was the clear highlight of the round for me. It reminds me a lot of some of the music I like quite a bit. This is probably the first unfamiliar artist that I have heard so far on this countdown that I intend to seek out and find more. Kudos to you, sir.

Tranny - and this was the lowlight. I was out after thirty seconds, but skipped ahead to a couple different other sections and it... did not improve.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:
Shryke - I had not heard this particular Cranberries song, but it was good, very Cranberries, and I do like them.
Well, you had to have heard it at least once before, as it was on my countdown ten years ago. But I'll give you a pass.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Wait, I was supposed to listen to ALL of those songs? Good grief. Ok, so maybe I don't remember hearing it before.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#95 (part deux)

Surfer - Waitress - She's got an interesting voice, for sue. For some reason Tracy Bonham popped into my head when I was listening to it. Really cool guitars, too. Not sure I'll listen more than twice, but thanks for the introduction. 6.5/10

Transformers - Figure 8 - Wow. A lot of gurrrrl power in today's lineup! This was pretty fascinating, actually, tranny. I can't expound on your own description any better than you did. The best comparison I can draw to FKA Twigs is Annie Lennox, who turned more than a few heads with her vocals and her unique style when she hit the scene in the early 80's.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A bit of a forgettable round today I'm afraid, apart from one exception. Even my own choice...as I said it took a while to grow on me so being honest I see it as also a forgettable song...at least on first listen

The Awesome

Hop Along, Waitress - love her passion and her vocal dynamics, backed by some great indie rock guitars, with honest and real lyrics. I really liked this album and Bark Your Head Off, Dog, and look forward to hearing her new solo album. I know it's out already but I've been busy with a millenium countdown thingy.

The Good

Spindrift, If You Don't Like It (Get the Fuck Out) - first listen...I like BJM and The Warlocks and this upbeat country psych is not bad either

Rise Against, Give It All -first listen...as you said yourself there is better Rise Against songs

Last Dinosaurs, Dominos - I heard this a bit on the radio...it grew on me enough to sing along to and enjoy...but that's what radio friendly indie rock is about...good but nothing more

The Okay

FKA twigs, Figure 8 - I liked LP1 but this is too experimental pop for my taste...I appreciate it rather than enjoy it...despite glowing live reviews I found her a bit dull when I saw her live

The Cranberries, Analyse - not as exciting as their earlier work

Blanck Mass, No Lite - I like Fuck Buttons but this develops a bit too slow for me and I didn't lose myself in this song like I do with Fuck Buttons songs.

Maggie Rogers, On + Off - you are right she does have powerful vocals, but I actually think the production on this obscures that a bit

The Meh

British Sea Power, Waving Flags - first listen...it's not bad...just a bit forgettable

The Rest

Juliette Armanet, Manque d’amour - first listen...reminded me of background music my parents would have played at dinner parties when I was young

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

96 & 95

Quick note, forgive me if im wrong, but are you actually listening to anything surfer or just commenting on what you already know? If u hated it, a quick ("that was shit" or "not my cup of tea") note will suffice.

Chien
96 - Prins Polo, Paris Noroursins
The first couple of seconds I was like, wow, this one is gonna be good. I like it but not near my favs. First listen.
5/10

95 -Juliette Armanet, Mangue d'amour
Hmm those opening few keys sound way too derivative from a sound like Keane. This did very little for me. First listen.
2.5/10

Johnerle
96 - Tom Petty, Square One
First listen I didn't like it much. 2nd listen I liked it more. That is how it went down.
4.5/10

95 - British Sea Power, Waving Flags
I lolled at the band name, then I read your comments, and lolled again. Meh, first listen.
3.5/10

Geezer
96 - Iron Chic, Wolf Dix Rd
At first I thought, this sound exactly like one of your other choices, is all the music so much the same, then I remembered, I had heard this! Wasn't it your no. 100 by mistake? Still too sad, I don't like the lyrics, it instantly drags it way down. 3rd time I heard this now.
1/10

95 - Rise Against, Give it All
Funny story, once I lied to my brothers workmate who was obsessed with this band, that I said I like them. He harassed me for days until the show came along, I couldn't bring myself to watch (and pay to see) this band. They are grating and just not what I like to hear. That said, I know they have at least 1 half decent song.
3.5/10

Leestu
96 - Bright Eyes, Road to Joy
Gave it a good couple of listens, but I could not get into it. Sorry man. First 2 listens
3.5/10

95 -Machine Gun Fellatio, Unsent Letter
I tried, it sounded better listening to it a 2nd time. But didn't hit that spot. Im gonna start abbreviating First listen or two, too: FL or FL2
5/10

NSPAN
96 - You are taking the piss, and whats worse, is that I don't get the lyrics on this one. Is he sarcastic? Is this in relation to Trumps wall? If its in all honest, then I pretty much despise it. First listen
2/10

95- Spindrift, If You Don't Like It.
Haha. Did you actually finish your list? I feel like someone, somehow, made you put in Anais Mitchell, cause we all love u dude. FL
5.5/10

Screen
96 - couldn't listen, ill come back.

95 - Maggie Rogers, On + Off
Nah, I didn't like it much, Sorry.
2.5/10

Shryke

96 - Sevendust - Black
Like six said, this is a cheat. Big cheater cheating here everyone! It was ok at best, my friend loves this band.
4.5/10

95- The Cranberries - Analyse
Thanks for you for the kind words from my 96 song, glad u got some memories back. I like their big song, a bit, this is not their big song, and yet it kinda sounds like it, just worse. FL2
4/10

Six

96 - Girl Band - Lawman
Ah crap, first listen I really didn't like it. Then I listened again and I kinda like it a bit, just a bit though. Curse you six! First 2 listens.
5/10

95 - Blanck Mass, No Lite
Its too long for me to properly analyse it, like listening 2 or 3 times, but I did hear it once, and I didn't think it was awesome. I think ill need to hear this a few times more before I give it an honest rating. For now its a
6/10

Surfer
96 - The Antlers, Bear
Sorry mate, I tried, at least twice. To me, this is not good. But as you will get to know, I care very little for lyrics on the first listen, or two. At the very least, this song picks up halfway through. First 2 listens.
4/10

95 - Hop Along, Waitress
This song is far too grating, too emotional in a bad way, I hated it. FL
0.5/10

Tranny
96 - Amon Amarth, Under the Northern Star
Would u believe ive heard this before? Don't ask me why, cause its not really that good imo.
3/10

95 - FKA Twigs, Figure 8
i know of her. I heard lots of her songs, and yet, i never remember any titles as i dont seek it out. Interesting sound for sure, but a little too edgy almost as if she is trying to hard to define genres. FL2
4.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
Quick note, forgive me if im wrong, but are you actually listening to anything surfer or just commenting on what you already know? If u hated it, a quick ("that was shit" or "not my cup of tea") note will suffice.
I promise you I am listening to everything, I have Leestu's Spotify play list on in work and its a good way to hear everything in a run (if also a little relief for my staff, who are now completely done with my own music constantly on [I'm in charge, they deal with my music!], so a little variety from others I think is appreciated!). Following Shryke's little word of warning at the beginning of the countdown though I am trying to restrain myself on the stuff I am either not bothered with too much or hate with a passion, so other than the odd new thing I have really enjoyed, most of the stuff I have ended up commenting on is the stuff I am already familiar with and love. Time restraints also impact on my commenting also, but I promise I will listen to everything, and will try to comment a little more when possible. Love the countdown overall so far though, glad we are back doing one again!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Ron B, i told you you'd get to skip me this round! I figured you'd be most excited of all!:
Geezer wrote:My links got messed up when Shryke initially posted this one, so the link to my number 96 song (spoilers) actually ended up here. The correct one is on there now. Good news for those of you who already played it, in 3 songs, you get to skip me!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thank you for your restraint, Surfer. Aaaaaaand on that note, I bring you...

CHIEN

Son Lux, Easy (2013)

There will be many songs in my list I have discovered in a film. Here’s one, I discovered in Maiwenn’s “Mon Roi”. It was a scene in a nightclub, and there is indeed something growing in this piece, that calms you and yet makes you wanna dance.

JOHNERLE

Explosions In The Sky, Your Hand In Mine (2003)

I wish I could say I was into this band before Friday Night Lights, but at least I stuck around for a years after the hype died down.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, Rivalries (2010)

I can only hope to express to you along the way how incredible I find this band. They are the second-most featured band on my list, so you'll hear a lot of their stuff, and I hope some of it can bring even a fraction of the sonic joy they have given me over the years. I've lost count how many times I've seen them at this point, but its in the double digits. This is one of their older songs, one of the first I fell in love with, and one that still holds up for me today. Wish they'd play it more!

LEESTU

Sweet Trip, Chocolate Matter (2003)

This song is a mix of shoegaze, noise pop, dream pop, and neo-psychedelia, but I must admit this song works better as a part of the whole rather than on it’s own…the album, Velocity : Design : Comfort is a quite a unique album that starts as glitch pop IDM so when shoegaze is introduced into the album via this song it is a very pleasant unexpected surprise…but because I loved 90s shoegaze so much this song is still a favourite as a stand alone too.

NSPAN

Pillowfight, You're So Pretty (2012)

Dan the Automator + Emily Wells. ‘Nuff said.

RON B

Bluejuice, I'll Go Crazy (2014)

Nostalgia, sadness, fondness and then unbelievable inspiration. This pop-rock band disbanded half a dozen years ago, and just after they announced their retirement from music, they gave us this. It feels like looking at a photo album of your past childhood. No other song has given me this feeling.

SCREEN203

Chelsea Wolfe, Iron Moon (2015)

I know this song is a total 180 from most of my other picks, but Chelsea Wolfe has continually impressed me with her ability to cross genres and make two genres I'm not huge on (metal - most of the time - and folk) compelling. Her haunting vocals bring extra weight to this track, sounding increasingly desperate throughout. I like the shift between the scream of the chorus and the soft vocals of the verses.

SHRYKE

Kelly Clarkson, Behind Those Hazel Eyes (2005)

Say what you want about Kelly, she’s done well. The very first singer to be spit out by the reality TV “Let’s find the next superstar!” talent machine, and twenty years after winning the initial season of American Idol, she’s still going. Of all those to be “discovered” on national TV, I can count on one hand the number of singers who have amassed as impressive a body of work as Kelly. Despite not being tall or skinny in a tall skinny girl’s world, she’s planted her flag in the biz, and she’s showing no signs of stopping. So, props, and thank you for leaving Justin in the rear-view. What? Oh yeah, the song. Well, straight-up pop hits rarely grab my interest, but this song threw me for a loop the first time I heard it. Who doesn’t love a bit of raw gurrrl power?

SIX

Peaches, Lovertits (2000)

Electro-clash was a short-lived but rather fun sub-genre. And Peaches made it even more fun with her sense of grotesque humour with a feminist bent.

[IF THE ABOVE LINK DOESN’T WORK FOR SOME REASON BELOW IS THE FULL ALBUM. JUMP TO 10:23 TO HEAR IT]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FumF-9sjU

SURFER

Snail Mail, Pristine (2018)

When Lindsay Jordan released her debut full length, Lush, a couple of years ago, you could be forgiven for not acknowledging her young age. At just 19, she had crafted a record filled to the brim with an hooks and riffs which belied her years, harking back to 90s era Mary Timony guitar licks while demonstrating an ability to write contemporary lyrics which resonate with your inner youth. Pristine epitomised this more than any other song on the record. You recognise the innocence in her voice, yet are captivated by the playing style and honesty to it all.

TRANSFORMERS

Periphery, Have a Blast (2012)

“Have a Blast" does a terrific job of displaying the mix of crushing heaviness, poppy catchiness and infectious energy that has made Periphery a constant fixture in my listening rotation for nearly a decade.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#94 playlist

I can't find Nspan's Pillowfight, You're So Pretty on spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/user/purplepas ... oNw83KDcoA

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Easy - Sorry, Chien, this neither calmed me nor made me want to dance. It just weirded me out. 3.5/10

JohnErle - Your Hand in Mine - It was nice enough, but I kept waiting for that wow moment when it grabbed me, and it never did. 5/10

Geezer - Rivalries - I liked this. The guitar riff made me instantly remember this song, one of my faves from the 90s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC9CZyHLn3M. I think it's great that you've got a band (or several) that affects you so deeply. I have a few, that's for sure. I couldn't get into the vocals, but I look forward to hearing more. 6.5/10

Leestu - Chocolate Matter - as a HUGE fan of 90s shoegaze (like Lush), I was excited to listen to this song. I've never heard of Sweet Trip, so I checked out their Wiki page. I listened to it twice, and while it hovered on the edge of grabbing me, it didn't quite get there. I do see potential, though, so I may have to dig into this band further. 7/10

NSpan - You're So Pretty - Tried to get into it. Couldn't. 5/10

Ron B - I'll Go Crazy - Really cool. I hope they didn't go around exploding people Ghostbusters-style in real life! (JK) Very catchy, and I get the appeal. 7/10

Screen203 - Iron Moon - Wow, this WAS a departure. And I loved it, particularly how she intersperses the soft notes with the hard guitars. Good choice. 7.5/10

Six - Lovertits - Bicycle porn? That's a new one. (NSFW!!) Was it Joe Piscopo who once said after he died, he'd like to be reincarnated as the seat on a girl's bike? Anyway, once I showered after watching that video, I listened to just the song again. It's quirky and fun, and it's easily my favorite from you so far. You'll be hard-pressed to top this one, honestly. Now, scuse me while I go get another ice pack. 9/10

Surfer - Pristine - Quite good. Like her voice. 6.5/10

Transformers - Have a Blast - This song was a mixed bag for me. When the vocals started, I thought it was going to be three minutes of growly gibberish. Then they pulled a Bennington and dialed it back a little, and let the Satriani-esque shredding guitar riffs take over. I like the overall arching musicality, but there's that 1/4 of the song that left me wincing. 7/10