Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-R

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu wrote:
numbersix wrote:Take Me Out is a Great song, ruined by not only being in every ad from 2005-2012, but also being the theme tune for the UK dating show also called Take Me Out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyY_-kd0dLw
Oh man that sucks! Used on a show like that is probably even a worse decision than the use of a How Soon Is Now? cover for Charmed.

At least How Soon is Now? was done by Love Spit Love, which was led by Psychedelic Furs front man Richard Butler. He has the voice to pull that off. This, on the other hand...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Fair point Shryke. I have no problem with the cover itself...just the choice of that song for that show feels so wrong.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, I finally did it. My blitz is over, and my list is at 100 songs. It's such a relief. I haven't determined the complete order yet, but this is a weight off my mind, considering how far behind the times I was a few months ago.

Here's the very last song I was forced to cut. HATED to see it go.

Hoobastank, The Reason (2004)

Fell in love with this song when it came out, and it stuck with me ever since. Mark Robb's vocals propelled this to the top of the charts, a Grammy nom, and was played during the final episode of Friends.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Post by JohnErle »

FULL DISCLOSURE: I had every intention of cheating and ranking this #2 on my list despite the fact that I'm well aware it came out in November of 1999. I mean, two months too early, who cares, right? Many of you, apparently. Add in the fact that I thought of another song I wanted to include in my top 50 and I decided to make a late entry in the also-rans thread. Listen to it or not, it's your choice.

Big Country - Perfect World (1999)

I'll never love another band like I loved Big Country, so the fact that they were able to go out on a creative high note with this terrific single makes me very happy. The fact that it didn't even register on the UK charts was par for the course by this point, and was just another reason for fans to feel protective of the band and feel the need to spread the word to anyone who would listen.

Also: Driving To Damascus, Your Spirit To Me

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - The Also-Rans

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, crap.

I just today remember a song that I totally omitted when making my list. And now that we're almost halfway done, a song from my Top 50 will have to go, and it's this one. Not sure if it qualifies as a "song" as it's from a film score (meaning Chien will approve), and instantly recognizable.

Hans Zimmer & Klaus Badelt, He's a Pirate (2003)