Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by Shrykespeare »

Can you believe we are only three weeks in? So far, we have listened to well over 200 different songs, in pretty much every genre there is. And we still have EIGHTY SONGS TO GO. Let's see... 80 x 12 equals... 960 songs. Holy Hannah.

Today marks the beginning of not only a new thread, but the bandwagon has officially grown to a dozen strong, as BanksIsDaFuture (hereafter known as just Banks for us lazy typists) joins us. Welcome to the cavalcade of music, sir!

So, anyhoo, let's dispense with any further banter and usher in our third thread. There will be two songs we heard at the very beginning of our Top 100, and our first by the King of Rock & Roll!

SONG #80

Shrykespeare
The Sundays, “What Do You Think?”

There’s just something about female-led alternative 90’s music coupled with jangly guitars that just sweep me away. I had the great fortune to see The Sundays live in the summer of 1992, and Harriet Wheeler is just as awesome (and gorgeous) in person… I’m a sucker for petite redheads, I guess. This track from the album “Blind” is the first of two Sundays songs, and the other will be coming much MUCH later. This is one of those bands that, if you like this song, I would strongly suggest you check into (you've already heard their cover of "Wild Horses"). It's not just typical 90's alternative fluff.

NSpan
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Down on the Corner”
(1969)

The dude abides.

Numbersix
Modest Mouse, “Dramamine”

There’s a problem with Modest Mouse in that singer Isaac Brocks writes some of the most poignant lyrics of the last 20 years but he sings in a way that you can never hear them clearly. But you have to respect a singer you can’t really get but needs to express himself regardless. Here, he uses the substance Dramamine as a metaphor for attempting to mend a moribund relationship, associating physical sickness with emotional pain.

Geezer
Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode"

I fell in love with the song the first time I heard it, and yes, that was in the infamous scene in Back to the Future (way back before I got the "This is your cousin, MARVIN BERRY" joke) and it still holds up today. It’s the oldest song on my list. Some musicians who historians consider “pioneers of music” just don't hold up anymore. Chuck Berry is not one such musician. His stuff remains as impressive as it was then. He deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest guitarists ever, and when you consider that he was one of the first to even attempt this style of music, it makes it even more awe-inspiring. I couldn't leave it off my list.

becs
Portishead, “Glory Box”

We've already covered this song in the countdown, so for basically the musical reasons already stated I love this. Beth Gibbons voice is brilliant, this song is the best example of their crazy mix of blues, rock, hip hop, and electronic. And hey, more cross-dressing!

undeadmonkey
Elvis Presley, “All Shook Up”

My favorite by the King. I don't totally get the fascination over him, I guess you really needed to grow up during that time, but I can’t deny that he has a few catchy songs.

leestu
Coldplay, “Yellow”
(2000)

Sorry to those of you who don’t like Coldplay but I love this song. Probably the only one of theirs that I feel this strongly about. I actually didn’t like it much myself until I was trying to ignore them at a festival and Chris Martin’s live performance of this song stopped me in my tracks and demanded my attention. I have loved it ever since.

Buscemi
Simon & Garfunkel, “The Boxer”

My favorite Simon and Garfunkel song. Their non-Graduate songs seem to win out for simply not being played as much.

silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer”

This was the first song I had heard from the Scottish/American fusion of rock, grunge and electronica, and I loved it. From it's opening chimes and Manson quietly humming, to the opening lyrics where she claims she is going to "dirty up your mind", the song is filthy, and totally seductive. It draws you in before spitting you out with the most vitriolic of venom. Eventually the wailing guitars flare in, and balanced with Manson's whispers you are totally hooked. And when she suggests "You can touch me if you want" you really, really, want to.

transformers
Black Sabbath, “Electric Funeral”

A really underrated Sabbath Track and I find it to be one of the finest tracks they have ever done.

W
Bob Marley and the Wailers, “Three Little Birds”

I thought I decided to replace it with "One Love, People Get Ready" since this song was already posted, but I decided "Three Little Birds" was far superior. If you're wondering where its from (besides here), it was in I Am Legend.

Banks
Mya feat Pras & ODB, “Ghetto Superstar”

I don’t know what this song has to do with the movie Bulworth, but for some reason, it’s from the soundtrack. Mya is such a great singer, while ODB is his usual retarded self (R.I.P.) Pras adds nothing, but then again, when has he ever? He was always “that other guy” in The Fugees.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #3): #80-#71

Post by W »

Shrykespeare
- Pretty decent, though not something I'd listen to regularly.

NSpan
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Down on the Corner” (1969)
- Classic CCR. I kind of regret not having them on my list as I cut a few of their songs (this included) off.

Numbersix
- Not a big fan...

Geezer
- Literally one of the greatest songs of all time. Probably the best guitar song ever.

becs
Portishead, “Glory Box”
- I really liked this song because of the vocalist and chillaxing beats.

undeadmonkey
- Practically all Elvis is meh to me.

Buscemi
- For a normal band it's good, but for Simon and Garfunkel it is merely ok.

silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer”
- Didn't really like it.

transformers
- Yep. One of the better Sabbath tracks I've heard.

Banks
- I'm not much for this one. But I wouldn't ask for it to be turned off. :)

leestu
Coldplay, “Yellow” (2000)
- Apology accepted.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Wow. What a way to kick-start the new thread. Nothing new to me this round--but this was a helluva collection of great songs. If I had to single someone out, I suppose ol' Banksy's Dolly Parton cover was the weakest link, IMO. Oddly, almost every pick is from an album that contains a different (and more preferable) song that I probably would've chosen--but that doesn't diminish the quality of what's up there as is.

And look out, Stuart. Shryke is on the prowl for petite redheads! (I suppose I better start carrying some pepper-spray too)
Last edited by NSpan on April 21st, 2010, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

No wonder why Shryke's got a crush on Amy Adams.

Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

amy adams is hot. except for when she was the scary chick sucking fat out of people on Smallville, it actually took me while to get over it

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guilty, Your Honor.

Out of curiosity, NSpan, which song from "Blind" would YOU have chosen? Or does my pick fall in the "almost" part of your quote?

My reactions (in order of preference):

Buscemi – Simon & Garfunkel, “The Boxer” – Having had to listen to “Sounds of Silence” three times in the last week (don’t get me wrong, I like it very much, but…), I am so glad to hear this made someone’s list. For sheer emotional power, you just can’t top this song (unless it’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”, but that’s another story). Lyrically and musically brilliant: sedate and tranquil at first, thunderous and tragic at the end. What a great way to start this thread off, Boush! (And how ironic that this very song got butchered earlier tonight by Lee DeWyze on Idol.)

W- Bob Marley and the Wailers, “Three Little Birds” – Ah, yes, UDM’s leadoff hitter. Probably my second-favorite Marley song (after “Could You Be Loved”).

NSpan – CCR, “Down on the Corner” – Not my favorite CCR song of all time, but still a classic.

transformers – Black Sabbath, “Electric Funeral” – From Megadeth to Sabbath. NICE! I hadn’t heard this one in well over a decade. Good choice!

Geezer – Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode” – Another classic. Not one I’d actively seek out, but not one I’d turn stations on either.

leestu – Coldplay, “Yellow” – There are a few Coldplay songs that I actively like (like “Clocks”), but this one is just so-so for me.

undeadmonkey – Elvis Presley, “All Shook Up” – Don’t know why, but when I hear this song, all I can picture is Potsy singing this song on Happy Days. Thanks for the flashback!

Silversurfer – Garbage, “Queer” – I love Shirley Manson’s voice, but for some reason this song just grates on me, like she’s just trying too hard to be catty. “Stupid Girl”, however, remains one of my favorite songs of the 90’s.

becs – Portishead, “Glory Box” – I’m sure Surfer will love this pick (again), but I still can’t get into it. I much prefer “Sour Times”.

numbersix – Modest Mouse, “Dramamine” – Didn’t like it. You’re right, I could barely understand a word, and that tends to be a point of contention with me, unless the music is just so awesome I don’t care. That wasn’t the case here.

Banks – Mya feat. Pras & ODB, “Ghetto Superstar” – I hated “Islands in the Stream”, why would I enjoy a song that rips it off? (I do like Mya, though… can’t believe she lost to Donny Osmond on DWTS.)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

That season with Dancing With The Stars was probably fixed. Marie Osmond was a backstage reporter for Entertainment Tonight covering the show so it's likely she may have had a hand in letting Donny win. That or ABC didn't want another athlete to win (Emmitt Smith, Apolo Anton Ohno and Shawn Johnson won previous editions).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote:Out of curiosity, NSpan, which song from Blind would YOU have chosen? Or does my pick fall in the "almost" part of your quote?
"Blood On My Hands"

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare

for some reason i couldnt get into, I still liked their cover though

NSpan
(1969)
really like it, didn't someone already have a CCR song on the countdown?

Numbersix

oy, when i read what the title was called, my first impression wasnt very good. I hate the taste of dramamine, one of the worst things in the world. (what, i used to get car sick a lot when i was younger). Anyways beside the point. i didnt like this song. Nothing was there to hold my attention, not even the lyrics because i couldnt understand them either.

Geezer

of course ive heard this song before, but never knew who it was. I love this kind of music, and this song was good. When was it released by the way?

becs
Portishead, “Glory Box”

now hearing it for the second time, yea i dont care so much for the music, the video is still hilarious

leestu
Coldplay, “Yellow”
(2000)
i like coldplay even though there arent that many songs that i like of theirs. This being one of them that i do, good choice

Buscemi

I thought i had never heard this song before, but once listened to it, i had (just dont remember where). It's pretty good. on a side note, i didnt know you watch AI, Shryke. I usually do, but i havent been this season, I'm too busy watching LOST on tuesday nights

silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer”

strangely fascinating. this is one of those songs that i'm glad that i've heard it once but dont really have the urge to hear again. Also yea, she's just not my type. On a side note, i really liked the video, it was clever and well thought out.

transformers

didnt like it, i hope you have some more of that other band that i did like. I would be looking forward to that

W
I so dont remember this song in I Am Legend, but then again was there anything memorable in that film? LOVE THE SONG, so far only the second song on my list that has crossed over onto others list (I think). I was expecting to have the least of those from everyone.

Banks

haha, i think this is an awesome song to enter the countdown with. I like the song, but i do like mya's part a lot more than the other two

Favorites are W's, Leestu's and Geezer's and yes, we now have another song to listen to each day, 11 wasnt enough, welcome banks!

PS tranny if you read this, you need to pick in the full year draft, i've been waiting all day with ants in my pants.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: The Sundays, “What Do You Think?” - Yeah, I remember hearing lots of Sundays stuff in the mid 90's when they had a minor hit and got some radio play. They're okay, she has a nice pixie voice but I have to admit they don't really hold my interest on any level

NSpan: Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Down on the Corner” (1969) - The Dude may disagree but I dislike this song as much as I dislike the Eagles (albeit for different reasons). This just came across as throwaway and silly, and meant very little to me.

Geezer: Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode" - Another song it took a long time to disassociate from a movie to fully appreciate. The guitar work is superb and I love the rhythm. Great pick.

becs: Portishead, “Glory Box” - even though I knew it back in the 90's, after hearing it a second time I'm appreciating it a little more.

undeadmonkey: Elvis Presley, “All Shook Up” - I like some of Elvis's stuff, but I guess this has been used in so many contexts (often comedy), that it just doesn't seem to have the right kind of impact on me. I can appreciate it, but not on a gut level.

leestu: Coldplay, “Yellow” (2000) - There's a handful of coldplay songs I can endure, but this is not one of them. Poor lyrics and the music just sound like bland Brit-pop. I will also never trust a person responsible for naming their child Apple.

Buscemi: Simon & Garfunkel, “The Boxer” - While I think this is nowhere near as good as Sound of Silence, it's a nicely constructed tune. The lih-le-lih's are nice but a lot of Irish traditional acts have covered this so part of me cringes. Damn society.

silversurfer: Garbage, “Queer” - I think these guys belonged in the 90's and should stay there. Their fusion of all of those genres managed to come out rather bland.

transformers: Black Sabbath, “Electric Funeral” - This is the only Sabbath album I have and I love it. Pretty much every track is a classic, including this one.

W: Bob Marley and the Wailers, “Three Little Birds” - Bob Marley's music sounds like having a hangover on a sunny morning. It sounds like you're swaety and nauseous at the same time.

Banks: Mya feat Pras & ODB, “Ghetto Superstar” - The only thing decent about this song is the vocals which are taken from Islands in the Stream, as we all know. So that doesn't bode well for the song, which has little else noteworthy.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
The Sundays, “What Do You Think?” - Nice song, and I like her voice, but as is often the case with me, I like their first album, and earlier songs better. I started to get a bit bored by them.

NSpan
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Down on the Corner” (1969) - I like Creedence. This song is just upbeat and feel good, and John Fogerty's voice is great.

Numbersix
Modest Mouse, “Dramamine” - I loved this. Had a great sound and rhythm, and I loved the way he sort of snarled those vocals, with added emphasis at the start of each line, and then a sort of dreamy musical ending. I've heard a smattering of Modest Mouse throughout their career (not this song), and it's all been good. What I've really liked is that every song I've heard has been different, from "Talking Shit About Pretty Sunsets" (my favourite) to "Float On" to "Shit Luck"...........Strangely I just realised his lyrics are quite clear in those three examples; didn't do that on purpose.

Geezer
Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode" - A really good classic song.

becs
Portishead, “Glory Box” - Having heard this again twice in a few weeks I really want to dig through my collection and see if I can find "Dummy". Excellent song.

undeadmonkey
Elvis Presley, “All Shook Up” - I don't really like Elvis.

Buscemi
Simon & Garfunkel, “The Boxer” - Here is my favourite of theirs that just came close to making my list. Thrilled to see it make an appearance in someone's list. Great pick Buscemi.

silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer” - Another great song, possibly my favourite of theirs. From when they were good.

transformers
Black Sabbath, “Electric Funeral” - With the influence they have apparently had on a number of bands that I like I really should have listened to more Sabbath then I have. This was rather good musically, not sure about vocally though, that puts me off a bit.

Banks
Mya feat Pras & ODB, “Ghetto Superstar” - I don't like the original song that the majority of this is from so........

Six, Buscemi, Surfer and Becs were highlights for me this time.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Shrykespeare

I need to re-listen to this a few times, I've already listened to it twice and every time I move on to another song I can't even remember this one, either way its not bad, just not terribly memorable.

NSpan
(1969)
Good but not really my thing.

Numbersix

Sorry, I am just not a Modest Mouse fan at all, and this didn't convince me otherwise, they do have one song I know of that I like, but I dunno which one it is.

Geezer

Excellent song, again, not really one I would put on a playlist, but I can definitely appreciate it.

undeadmonkey

Same as Chuck Berry, great song but not one I would put on a playlist, and I don't think it's anywhere near Elvis' best work.

leestu
Coldplay, “Yellow”
(2000)
I can totally attest to Chris Martin's stage presence, I remember see him perform Politik live on some awards show and literally getting goosebumps it was so good. That said this is a good/solid song of theirs, but I would not consider it their best, it's pretty middle of the road.

Buscemi

It was okay, but I definitely like Sound of Silence better, and in fact there is also another song which I do like better than that one as well and consider to be head and shoulders above this :D

*silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer”

Best of the round for sure, I adore Garbage, and this is a great song. You are totally spot on about it being seductive, pretty much every song is like that, very dark but seductive. However, this is not my favorite song of theirs, which you will have to wait to see...

transformers

Not my kind of metal, the whole up & down beat was bizarre and not remotely melodic, it kind of sounds like what an 8 year old does when they try to make up a song. The whole part around 2:50 sung with both forced low sounding voice and high falsetto wtf was that?

W
Same as before, I get that its a good song, but I think I'm too tightly wound to to enjoy reggae.

Banks

Have you seen Bulworth? If not you should, it's really good. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but if I recall this song applies because Bulworth has a bit of a meltdown, then undergoes a transformation when he is exposed to rap music, Warren Beatty even raps in the movie.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Numbersix
- I really like these guys. The gf LOVES them. She heard me playing your video and called from the next room, "Is that somebody's 'favorite'?? Awesome!"

Geezer
- I guess you guys aren't ready for that, yet. But your kids are gonna love it.

silversurfer
Garbage, “Queer”
- I've always been torn about this band. On one hand, I pulled a Shryke and let my physical attraction to the lead singer muddle my opinion of the music. But, on the other hand, these guys REALLY had something. I fully credit producer/mastermind Butch Vig for their high-points. Shirley Manson was just a (very good looking) tool to be utilized in achieving his musical goals. For those who don't recognize the name, Vig produced Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream" and Nirvana's "Nevermind" (amongst many other greats).

transformers
- When I was first getting into Sabbath, this was immediately one of my favorite songs. It's not that I dislike it nowadays, but I actually consider it the weakest song on that album (which is a very relative statement, because that album is consistently awesome from start to finish). At more than one point in history, Sabbath became a caricature of themselves--and this may have been the very first instance of that. In other words, this song is closer to what people THOUGHT they sounded like than what you'd actually hear at a live concert or listening to the majority of their album tracks. I remember reading one review of the album where the writer jokingly said that the original purpose of the inclusion (and placement) of the track on the album was to scare off any narcs before you and your buddies light up and listen to "Hand of Doom."

leestu
Coldplay, “Yellow” (2000)
- I can actually take Coldplay in small doses. They're quite good--but only for a couple of minutes at a time. I got dragged to one of their shows a few years ago, and I was miserable. All of their songs sound exactly the same--especially when performed live. I got as much out of the first five minutes of the show as I did the next seventy.

W

I feel the same about this as I do "Electric Funeral." It's one of the tracks that got me into Bob Marley in the first place, and it was an instant favorite. But, nowadays, I don't often find myself ever bothering to listen to it. "Natural Mystic," "Iron Lion Zion," "Punky Reggae Party" were amongst the last songs to be cut from my list.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:Out of curiosity, NSpan, which song from Blind would YOU have chosen? Or does my pick fall in the "almost" part of your quote?
"Blood On My Hands"
Interesting...

Your tastes and mine differ a great deal, Spanny, there's no two ways about that. Your list so far has consisted mostly of older stuff from around the time of my birth (that I don't listen to) or newer stuff (that I don't listen to). The fact that you've actually listened to The Sundays (and, presumably, enjoyed at least some of it) may be the first bit of truly common ground we've occupied.

As for the other Sundays song on my list (coming way down the road), it is also from "Blind". Sorry, though, it's not "Blood on My Hands", which is a song I like, but not overly. I also love "Wild Horses" as previously stated, and "Medicine" just missed my list. You are more than welcome to guess what the other one is (by PM, please, not by post). I'll be sporting and give you three guesses!

I think it's just a shame The Sundays only put out three albums. I know Harriet married her bandmate, guituarist David Gavurin, but after 1997, no info at all. Hope everything went well from that point on.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Oh, and finally:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TRANSFORMERS!!!

So you're 18. Our little soldier is growing up... (sob)

Seriously, though, congratulations, dude. Only three more years and you can get wasted LEGALLY! (grin)

(someone feel free to insert an amusing yet totally appropriate picture or photograph here)